[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monday RPG Hipster, "I only play my own homebrew, you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
Monday RPG Hipster, "I only play my own homebrew, you've probably never heard of it" edition m

Any games welcome, just remember "We played it before it was cool"

I brought up Neoviking in another thread. It's a humour game. It includes Neobunnies, a separate setting. It's in Swedish, released decades ago by Neogames (most of which are Helmghast these days). It's terrible.
>>
So, is this supposed to be a thread about less popular systems and homebrew or what?
>>
>>43791352
Less popular systems was the idea.

Which on /tg/ basically means anything not D&D.
>>
File: WWP16154_500.jpg (140 KB, 500x676) Image search: [Google]
WWP16154_500.jpg
140 KB, 500x676
>>43791134
Iron Heroes. Everyone hates Monte Cook but Ive run several successful games of this, the longest of which is ongoing and over two years old.

Basically it has eight martial classes and one/two caster classes. Each of the martials plays significantly differently than the next, have different strategies and can easily be multiclassed. The caster class the Arcanist has the beat magic system of any dnd variant Ive ever seen. Magic instead of being "cast fireball" uses a streamlined DC and mana system where you can customize magical affects of spells! But magic is risky and can also backfire if the dc is not meant.

List of other features I like:
-AC is your ability to dodge, for agility characters and DR is a die rolled against damage, based on armor and used by heavy fighters.
-No face of party or support class.
-Has physical, mental and racial abilities that add to character and give them both useful skills and added flavor.
-Classes play well and keep combat interesting, teamwork can make a party very powerful.

Things I dont like:
-no body has ever heard of it
-skill leveling is needlessly complex
-physical and ebook have conflictions in some places.
-The character sheets are a mess.
>>
>>43793593
Sounds interesting, you mentioned there are ebook and physical copy rule conflicts, which one would you recommend/is closest to the designer's intent
>>
File: 1447323352600.jpg (109 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
1447323352600.jpg
109 KB, 540x810
>>43793622
The ebook. They released it as an update because in the original had some poor wording and magic was not very well explained either. I have both a digital and physical copy but its too big for 4chin for yeh.
>>
>>43793593
What classes are there? and what makes them so special and umique??
>>
Runequest is great, while it's main focus is an ancient greek setting, it can be converted for many things.

Pros:
- the system is somewhat simple
- The combat is super deadly and highly realistic
- the combat is still full of strategy
- everything is based on d100 percentile rolls.
- the magic systems have a nice air of customisation about it.

Cons:
- skilling up (experience rolls) is a bit weird
- the system doesn't like static bonuses so it often uses odd size small dice like 1d3 or 1d2.
- the greek theme is a bit hard to get rid of without some work.
>>
>>43794186
my current preferred version is RQ 6, pic related.
>>
File: 1447376253411.png (211 KB, 1422x1155) Image search: [Google]
1447376253411.png
211 KB, 1422x1155
>>43794186
Can you give a few more words about combat? Ive been looking for a system toget my younger nephew into.

>>43793964
Well the Arminger is a great example. Its a character who can easily be hit, but reduces most damage thanks to his heavy armor and actually gains advantages from being struck such as free attacks of oppurtunity. My friend's arminger plays crowd control, he pulls agro, he is his parties shield and strength.

There is also an archer, thief, weapon master, man at arms, harrier and beserker.
>>
>>43791134
I played Exalted when it was cool.
>>
>>43793925
These things are adorable. Are these Chia Familiars?
>>
>>43795316
Exalted was never cool.
>>
>>43791134
Get this. When I was a kid they sold this kind of fantasy serial magazine called the Ancestral Trail. It was a pretty standard 90s fantasy schlock with a kid that ended up in fantasy-land and had to collect the pieces of the MacGuffin before Not-Sauron.
Somewhere down the line an RPG came out of that, and I have a copy. It's not exactly a D&D clone, but it's charming because it hase some nonsensical things (good/evil is a stat you roll at the beginning, the higher the score the firmer your belief, but somehow literacy depends on that). The cool thing is that all the people in the story were animal races and the boy was the only human, plus the skill system was interesting for the time. I even managed to run a couple of games with that.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.