[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which system is the best when it comes to running superhero games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Superman.jpg (63 KB, 513x850) Image search: [Google]
Superman.jpg
63 KB, 513x850
Which system is the best when it comes to running superhero games (this could mean both generic systems and systems designed especially for the purpose, of course)?
>>
>>48087917
GURPS' good for low-powered small time heroes. (Like, say, some of the X-Men with only one power)
Absolutely sucks for Superman tier.
>>
>>48087917
PTA.
>>
>>48087917
Mutants and Masterminds is a vaguely d20 inspired (EXTREMELT vaguely at this point, there's next to no resemblance between 3e and D&D beyond using that one kind of dice) generic system built around high flexibility when it comes to characters and powers.
Fair warning though; it requires players who understand that trying to make the most powerful superhero character ever is not the same thing as actually making an interesting superhero to play with or even hear them talk about at all.

The sheer flexibility also paralyzes some inexperienced RPer'd used to more structured games; since powers are designed as an Effect ("hurt stuff" "make stuff" "blast stuff" "fly" etc) and the fluff is basically completely up to you a lot won't know how to make it work for them since they're basically supposed to draw heavily upon their own imagination and understanding of the narrative purpose of various superpowers.
>>
>>48087971
name books you burper
>>
>>48088002
Basic Set, Powers, Supers.
Probably Martial Arts for Batman-wannabes.
Then there's a couple Supers setting books from GURPS 3e, there are a couple adventures about ready to use, can't remember much about the setting(s) themselves though. Probably wouldn't need much tweaking to fit with 4e.

>Basic Set
Player's handbook+GM's.
>Powers
Goes deeper into statting and using "custom" advantages and innate attacks than Basic, with a fuckload of example powers.
>Supers
Mostly "how do comic books even work", "how to make interesting games out of them" and "how to make it in GURPS".
>Martial Arts
New fancy skills/attacks, how to build martial arts schools/styles, talks about making it all mesh within a game, goes from realistic-est copy of real life to cinematic chinese magic kung-fu movies.
>>
>>48087995
I know there's a fair chance that's supposed to be a bait post, but while I've never seen any PTA supers stuff I think it could actually work quite well. Probably better than trying to emulate OSR with it's move list system.
>>
>>48087917
I've had good times playing superheroic stuff in Fate and Fate Accelerated before.

I'm about to hopefully get a currently-in-hiatus Marvel Heroic game up and running again later today, or next week if peoples schedules are too borked by 4th of July stuff. I've had a lot of fun running that.
>>
>>48087917
Anima
>>
Im partial to Silver Age Sentinels. Allows for high powered games.
>>
>>48088048
What's PTA?
>>
>>48087917
>>48087971
I disagree, GURPS Supers is fine for higher tiers, just need to set the power level higher. A 1000 point telepath is insane.

I play 3rd ed though so source game purely from Basic Set (3rd revised) and Supers (2nd -- Blankenship).

I make some of the villains 1000 and we had a 1500 also. But our setting is a little closer to home, set like a Marvel Dark Reign where Trump is the president.
>>
>>48087999
Mutants and Masterminds absolutely requires a GM who is capable of grokking the intent of the Effects system as well as well-spoken enough to concisely summarize them to his players.
This is rare, but Mutants and Masterminds is a very enjoyable system with that caveat.

I've tried Marvel Heroic and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, too. M&M would still be my go-to, but only because it's more game-y and less tied to Marvel, so it's easier for me to run as GM. As a player, I would be fine with either.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.