[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apocalypse World GM/MC Tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: aw.jpg (35 KB, 330x600) Image search: [Google]
aw.jpg
35 KB, 330x600
Going to be MCing a fallout style game for my friends soon. Any tips some more experienced MCs can give?
>>
>>43764004
Read the rules twice over.
I had a problem with gangs and vehicles last time I MC'd it because I didn't know how those worked.
>>
>>43764004

Remember that Fallout 4 has a different tone than the other Fallouts, and Apocalypse World has a different tone than Fallouts in general. Decide in advance whether you're going to twist Apocalypse World to suit the Fallout tone, or whether you're going to run it in a Fallout-like setting but still in the Apocalypse World, deferring to the latter's theme.

It's not a huge gap -- to a certain extent, a postapocalypse is a postapocalypse, even with their differences -- but it's an important enough thing that you need to think about it in advance.

Remember to ask for Moves when they happen.

Remember that Moves aren't the strict boundaries of what characters can do -- they're just what anyone cares about rolling for.
>>
>>43764004
Read the rules, but /most importantly/, read the MC Section, especially 'The 1st Session'. The biggest things for me were having a solid grasp on Fronts and what they do (tl;dr, they create interesting problems), and having and giving the players a /really solid/ grip on the world they're in.

Past that, always tell the players /as much as you can get away with/. That doesn't mean never make someone Read A Sitch/Person, but if an NPC is shouting mad, and a PC /might/ have a guess as to why, then say it. It could be wrong but always err on the side of giving all the information players need, so they can make cool choices.

And don't stress too much over the rules--almost all the rules in the game are for /players/ to play with, and nearly all those will be on the players' playbooks. If the rule/Move/whatever says "when you X, Y happens", make it clear that Y /happens/, anytime that PC Xes. If players know their own sheets well enough, you'll hardly ever need to look at the rules yourself--your rules are in the MC section, and your job is to follow them. If everyone does that, it'll all be groovy.

Most of all though, the mantra I kept saying in my recent (first ever) game of AW? "Okay, cool; show us IC." Some examples:

> "Can my Driver have a little ultralight chopper instead of a car"
Yeah, why not, that chopper is your character's life IC, so show us. Having a bonafide helicopter pilot sounds fun, and opens up whole new problems that can happen.
> "Can my character trade in little hand-bound instruction / education manuals they scavenged up?"
Hell yeah they can, knowledge is power. Tell us IC what you've got on offer, like dentistry manuals, farming tips, what is it? It'll be cool to reveal NPC traits by what information they trade goods for.
> "I levelup'd to where I can take another playbook Move! Can my super beefy meatwall PC take this seductive Skinner Move?"
Awesome, show us IC how your meatwall puts the turbo flirts on someone.
>>
Any tips on remembering the rules for each individual move? Looking at the rule book this looks so tough on the MC...
>>
>>43764326
Nope, but then you don't have to. A player playing a Battlebabe has no reason to care what rules apply specifically to say a Brainer. Not unless the Battlebabe player is looking for Moves from other playbooks.

For the MC, all you /really/ need is the MC section, and know the basic Moves. And really for those, there's only one hard bit: Seize By Force is how you violence at people; Go Aggro is how you intimidate people. Go Aggro does not hurt people directly, and Seize By Force always requires the use or threat of--well, /force/.

Everything else, Read a Person/Sitch, Seduce or Manipulate, is fairly self-explanatory. Ask your players if they're [Move name], anytime you think they might be doing so. There's some overlap sometimes, but always go with what the player describes their character doing.

If it's still not clear, have the player describe in more detail what the PC is doing/has done, and either one Move will be more clearly the one to roll, or maybe it's not actually a Move, so keep trucking.
>>
>>43764638

Awesome! This game seems quite a lot more simple now. Do I really need to use the sex rules? Some of my players may be early teens.
>>
>>43764697
You could reinterpret the sex moves as spending quality/intimate alone time with someone else and not much will change, I think. In the end, the result is same, your character shows vulnerability to another character, and through that vulnerability things happen.
>>
>>43764322
You're pretty lucky. I ran into a dude who wanted to play a Quarantine who would just straight up be part of a 20,000 strong group of US Marines (with all of the attendant support staff for them, and the typical allotment of vehicles, materiel, etc.) because that was just 'logical.' Even when told he couldn't have that he kept wanting to just have things for no other reason than it would let him have no flaws or weaknesses.

Typically, you ask a Gunlugger or Quarantine where they get bullets and you get something you can use, something that brings the character into the fiction and adds to it. This guy just straight up said he made all of his shit and had MREs and Mountain Dew to last forever while he made his own bullets.
>>
Apocalypse World literally tells you how to MC a game of Apocalypse World.

Going into the game with a set idea of what you want isn't a good start though. The apocalypse and the world is built co-operatively with the other players.
>>
>>43764322
>And don't stress too much over the rules

Disregard this, unlike many other games, Apocalypse World actually has rules for the MC, not suggestions. There are rules for players and rules for MCs, and by not following them you aren't playing Apocalypse World correctly.
>>
>>43765690
That said there are certain details that are superfluous as well.

Say for example your apocalypse is a water world, the driver would likely have a boat rather than a car. The stats say the same, but the small detail of what kind of vehicle changes.
>>
>>43765842

I see someone too has seen the roll20 youtube vid (currently on ep 3...oh god all my freetime...)!
>>
>>43765879

Not him, but oh, man, you're in for a great ride. I swear if HBO made a miniseries out of that story, I'd be on that in a heartbeat.
>>
>>43765879
>>43765969
Is it actually good? I gave up on it due to audio quality (assuming we're talking about the same thing).

That said, the Jankcast's 'Black Diamond' was pretty fucking cool.

Frost's entire arc is just ridiculous and hilarious.
>>
>>43766001

I don't recall any audio quality issues, and yeah, it's excellent. This is the official Roll20 Apocalypse World stream, with Adam Koebel and John Harper. (And Andrew as Gritch, the creepy-ass Brainer who steals the show)
>>
>>43766051
Alright, I'll give it a look.
>>
>>43766001
I haven't watched Black Diamond, but by god do I love the first one on the airship Leviathan, it literally got me into Apocalypse World.
>>
What's your favourite playbook to play with?

I personally love the Hocus, so much barfing of apocalyptica and weirdness.
>>
>>43768393
Angel, since that's the only one I've ever played.
Touched by death was the best investment ever: I went from -1 weird to +1 weird in the first session.
It also fed well into direct brain whisper projection.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.