[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice Wanted: Buying Magic cards from someone long term, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg (52 KB, 300x416) Image search: [Google]
Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg
52 KB, 300x416
Some may call me a hippy but I'm kind of against supporting large corporations. The only place to buy magic cards around where I live is Target. My buddies have been playing a long time and are hard core collectors. They think I should just suck it up and get my cards from Target.

I met a gamer on craigslist who is interested in selling me his unwanted cards in the form of boosters. (He puts together stacks of 10 commons, 3 uncommons, and a rare of cards he doesn't want). He has complete control over what I get. I agreed to buy exclusively from him instead of target (which is the whole point).

I'm excited for this and want to make an offer that will keep him interested long term. Even though it sounds like a bad thing, I like the fact of getting his shit cards because it will make deck building a challenge.

We have to work out a price per booster that I pay. I mentioned that this deal would mean he would have a monopoly on my access to new cards and I understood that might mean I have to pay more. He agreed. Now he wants to know what I should pay.

How much would you charge me if you were doing this with me? How much would it take for you to keep this going long term?
>>
>>43762669

Sorry, Anon, but there's not a good answer.

If you're not worried about the quality of the cards, the best price he should ask would be at or slightly below market price for new boosters. So probably about $4 (I haven't bought packs in some time). Do you know what kinds of cards he's putting into the packs? One thing you could do is to ask him to tell you what cards he's got and look up the value of those cards yourself, then offer a price based on those numbers. I'd be careful, though; if he's willing to sell you repacks but not willing to sell you the cards individually (or as singletons with assorted junk thrown in), he's probably not the most trustworthy person.

Do you have a collection already? What sort of cards are you looking for? What formats do you play (and yes, kitchen-table counts)? Those all impact what you should do here.
>>
>>43762759
I play commander, exclusively. In my CL ad, I came up with the idea of letting him make boosters for me with his shit cards. I figured, if he doesn't want the cards and can make me pay, that's win win. Also, we have to meet up and it has to be worth his time which if I buy multiple packs it should be. However, I'm agreeing not to buy from target meaning all my cards come from him so I think that at least paying him for a regular booster price would be good.

Also, I want him to sell to me long term so I want it to be good enough that he sees me as a means to an income of sorts.
>>
You'd be better off just buying his unwanted cards in bulk. I believe when I unloaded my bulk to my LGS they gave me something like 1 cent per common, 2 cents per uncommon, probably less. If you're buying random from this guy you're wasting your money paying MSRP for hand picked "boosters", seems incredibly likely he's gonna scam you.
>>
>>43762927
I kinda like the idea of buying the boosters though. Say you were scamming me, lol. How much would you charge?
>>
>>43762966
You seem like a retard, so as much as I could get out of you.
>>
>>43762966
I would grab 14 random cards from my bulk, one rare I never plan to use and charge you $4. It's the same shit you see when stores sell "1000 bulk boxes" for like $20, doesn't matter that they guarantee like 10 or something rares, it's almost certainly stuff worth less than a dollar each.

I wouldn't be surprised if your first booster pack had like 4-7 copies of one card.
>>
>>43763074
That's okay with me, getting multiple copies of the same card. I kind of expect it since he gets to make them up however he wants.
>>
>>43762669
>but I'm kind of against supporting large corporations
lmao How do you avoid giving money to large corporations?
>>
>>43763161
He still buys from Target, I'm sure. But I take his unwanted cards meaning only one of us is buying cards.
>>
Well, we settled. Because I really want to do this long term. I agreed to $5 per pack, a minimum of 5 packs per purchase or a $10 fee to pay for his gas costs if I spend less than $25. He can charge me 15 cents per basic land.
>>
>>43763370
You have got to be fucking with us at this point, this is so stupid.
>>
is this some weird financial domination thing?
be honest anon, is that your kink?
>>
>>43763448
I'm not but it's a done deal. I'm buying my first packs tonight. Thanks for the advice everyone!
>>
File: 1447733005632.gif (933 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
1447733005632.gif
933 KB, 245x285
>>43763370
>>
>>43763056
>You seem like a retard, so as much as I could get out of you.
This x1000.
>>
>>43763573
$5 doesn't seem like a ton though. It's more than retail but since he has to deliver...?
>>
>>43763608
>he's getting rid of worthless junk
>but he's delivering it
I guess the guarantee that you won't get a card worth more than 1$ doesn't really matter.
>>
>bloke can literally buy boosters, sell them for a profit, and if there are valuable singles in there sell them for even more
>>
>>43762669
Give him your bank account and cc. Tell him he can take whatever amount he want for each booster he sent to you.
>>
My first haul. He met up for only two packs tonight for a total of $20 because he wanted to know if I was for real. Here's what I got. All the same color but that's fine.
>>
>>43765187
>>
>>
>Playing the worst of the cardgames available when there are other superior games
>BUT ANON I LIKE EATING MCDONALDS, I KNOW I COULD BE EATING MUCH BETTER FOOD FOR THE SAME PRICE, I JUST LIKE TO EAT SHIT
>>
>>
>Pays $10 american
>gets 7 of the same shitty common
>2 bulk rares that even a casual scrub like myself wouldn't touch
>brags about it on /tg/
>wants to do it more

this is beyond bait at this point.
>>
Why are the people I try to scam never this dumb?
This is the perfect scam as well, it's perfectly legal, you make money no matter what you invest, and the mark even knows it's stupid. Brilliant!
I'd just do like
>>43763680
and laugh my way to a literally endless number of magic cards. I'm getting like a projected seventy dollar profit from buying a booster box PLUS YOU GET TO KEEP THE VALUE FROM THE BOX!

Marvelous. I'm going to include a scam like this in my next Call of Cthulhu game, just as a mundane ethical puzzle to see what the players reactions are.
>>
>>43762669
The value of cards in bulk is roughly $3/kg at most. The 15 cards in a booster weigh roughly 22g, which means that their bulk cost is about $0,07. I would not pay more than ten cents per "booster" if I were you.
>>
File: 1437951660386.jpg (31 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1437951660386.jpg
31 KB, 498x482
>>43762669
>I'm against supporting large corporations
>so I'll just have some dipshit from Craigslist fuck me in the ass for magic cards
>>
>>43767923
Also. On the infinitesimally small chance that this is not trolling, I would like to make the OP aware that he can buy both individual cards and bulk online from cutesy-wutesy small sellers via http://magiccardmarket.eu http://tcgplayer.com or http://ebay.com
>>
File: Chastity_belt.jpg (59 KB, 598x425) Image search: [Google]
Chastity_belt.jpg
59 KB, 598x425
>>43762669
Is this a sexual thing I'm not getting?
>>
>>43762669
Ladies and gentlefags i present to you the worlds first magic kek
>>
It doesn't count as a scam when the guy is knowingly agreeing to buy bad cards at ridiculous prices.
>>
so is this basically the MTG equivalent of homeopathy or what?

if this is legit, which is doubt, just go to a friendly locally-owned game shop and buy cards there, OP, you will be safe from the evil corporations
>>
This cant be real.
>>
>>43768677
but what if it is, dubsman?
>>
>>43762669
This almost sounds like 50 Shades of Jace
>>
File: he's a giant guy.png (299 KB, 509x271) Image search: [Google]
he's a giant guy.png
299 KB, 509x271
>>43768690
Then this guy's deal sounds extremely painful
>>
>>43768077
I had the same thought. This feels like some weird form of keking, but I can't place why.
>>
File: hartman.png (46 KB, 200x179) Image search: [Google]
hartman.png
46 KB, 200x179
>>43762669
If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.