[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Totemist Quest 68
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 10
File: Totemist Quest.jpg (222 KB, 619x950) Image search: [Google]
Totemist Quest.jpg
222 KB, 619x950
The angry knot between your shoulderblades tightens again. You whirl away from the empty archway, lip curled. “Enough of these -games-,” you growl. “What do you -want-?”

There is a moment's silence. A dark blot appears in the air above you, a spreading stain in the fabric of the air. It is followed by another, then another, until a swirling mass of black sphere twists together in a chaotic mess. The jumble finally resolves itself in a flash of gold and black, sweeping up to you nearly quicker than your eyes can track it.

“This is precisely the problem I mean,” the thing says. “You and your master are the same plague. You ignore law and tradition for what is expedient and convenient.”

It sweeps away in a blur of feathered robes, dodging the instinctive sword-swipe. As the mothpowder settles to the floor the figure shudders in the air violently, empty robes fluttering in an unfelt breeze. The light behind its mask glows bright.

“You alter what you find inconvenient, and ignore that which you cannot be bothered to alter.”

It jerks to one side, then drops to the ground. Skimming along the surface of the carpeted floor, it weaves in and out of the pillars around you.

“In doing so, you endanger yourself and all those who have come before you. You are a -menace-.”

You bite back the scathing reply boiling in the back of your throat, watching the thing dart to and fro. It moves without rhyme or reason, tangling itself in the hanging curtains, sweeping along the ceiling in weaving patterns.

It finally slows to a halt, floating before you to gaze at you sidelong. The glowing moon-like horn atop its mask (head?) gleams in the hazy light.

“You are not worthy to bear the title of Totemist. I cannot cast you out, for your pact has been made, but you are not welcome here. You are a base hunter, tearing trophies from your grisly work without appreciation for the delicate infrastructure that makes such things possible.”
>>
File: The First.jpg (168 KB, 539x800) Image search: [Google]
The First.jpg
168 KB, 539x800
“And who—what are you, to make such a sweeping judgment?” Quinn demands behind you. “You kidnapped me to, what, act as bait so you could belittle my friend?”

“I took you as a warning,” the spirit rumbles. “All things can be taken away from one so unwary and poorly defended. You hurl yourself unblinking into the void and you are surprised when you attract unwelcome attention. I am far from the most malevolent entity you could have garnered notice from. Consider yourself exceedingly -lucky-.”

You repeat Quinn's question: “Who are you?”

The spirit draws itself up to its full height, robes of feathered darkness bristling. The air looms with sudden gravity, and the room goes absolutely quiet save for the chiming of the spirit's voice.

“I am the Guardian of this place, keeper of the Holy Vault and Link to the World Without.”

The air in the room goes thin, and mist—numbing gray mist—spills from beneath the spirit's robes. You can see spiritual power leaking from it with your naked eye, an incandescent aura of gold that forms arcane sigils in the air.

“I am Hesheza Zahn, signatory and seal of the Totemist's Pact.”

It fixes you with its piercing white gaze, boring into your very core.

“Who are you?”

You take an involuntary step back. The sheer pressure that radiates from Zahn like light from a star is enough to make your head spin.

> I am Osyki. Totemist. You had no right to kidnap innocents over a matter of ignorance and wounded pride.
> I am an apprentice thrust into a world I have barely had time to comprehend.
> One who would learn, if you have the ability to teach.
> [Attack Hesheza Zahn]
> Write-in
>>
You are Osyki, journeyman Totemist and first line of defense for your village against the rabid Behemoths wandering the land. Your master, the previous Totemist, fell in a battle against a terrible Behemoth, leaving the duty of defending your settlement to you. You have returned home to Grisoch after a lengthy trip abroad. Some experimentation by your apprentices has weakened the veil between your Workshop and whatever lies beyond. They have been taken from you. You intend to reclaim them from Hesheza Zahn, the spirit of the first Totemist.

[[Previous Threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=totem

Plot Summary: http://pastebin.com/dqBSNUTM

The Cast Thus Far / Binder's Log: http://pastebin.com/VsJpEUx3

Ask: ask.fm/DiarcaEXE

Wiki in progess: http://totemistquest.pbworks.com

Quest Twitter: @TotemistQuest]]
>>
>>43741179
oh fug its here im awake even huzzah
>> I am an apprentice thrust into a world I have barely had time to comprehend.
Oyski is completely unprepared for this guy, as am i
>>
>>43741179
>I am an apprentice thrust into a world I have barely had time to comprehend.
Its been what? Less than three months man. Come on.
>>
>>43741179
>>
>>43741179
>>
>>43741179
>[x] [Attack Hesheza Zahn]
>>
>>43741179
> Write-in
"I'm not Ayren. Unlike him, I'm open to criticism. I've been doing this for a few months, I'm not so set in my ways that I can't change. But instead of try to communicate, steer me away from this path you find so deplorable, you moved directly to attacks on my character and my loved ones. You've already written me off as impossible to teach. What grudge do you hold against him that I have inherited?"
>>
>>43741179
> I am an apprentice thrust into a world I have barely had time to comprehend.

Is this guy even willing to teach us? We're, what, the apprentice of a douche who's been running roughshod all over his sacred pact, and we've been confrontational up until we learn he has power. Unless Osyki's silver tongue returns once more, being contrite might not work. : <
>>
>>4374117
Take a deep breath, release the anger, and meet his gaze.
"I am Osyki, Totemist and Link Between Worlds. I am one who can understand your frustration but disapprove of your methods. Who I am NOT is Ayren Overwake. Who I would like to be, is one who would learn from you."
>>
>>43741179
> I am Osyki. Totemist. You had no right to kidnap innocents over a matter of ignorance and wounded pride.
We do not have to justify ourselves.
>>
>>43741179
>>
>>43741365
Whoops, meant to reply to >>43741179
But accidentally deleted the last number.
>>
>>43741366
We probably should though. Hes like the big Totemist boss man, and he could probably wreck our face.
>>
>>43741398
he claims to be, and is also a kidnapping torturer who beats the shit out of accidental bystanders for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure, he might be a mystical powerful force for good, but he's also an asshole
>>
>>43741398
He mostly said that even if he doesn't want us here, he can't make us leave.
>>
>>43741334
This is pretty gud.
>>
>>43741428
He can still hurt Quinn and Terra, though.
>>
>>43741423
Technically he kidnapped and tortured them for binding souls without a license.
>>
>>43741423
He does appear to be a spirit. Most of them are fairly temperamental and seeing as the people he kidnapped are trainee totemists who didnt follow the regulations or whatever you can understand why he acts like we pissed in his cereal.
>>43741428
No reason to antagonize him though.
>>
>>43741192
seconding this
>>43741334
>>
>>43741179
>>> I am an apprentice thrust into a world I have barely had time to comprehend. With a master with far more secrets and enemies than any one man should have.

Fucking Ayren.
>>
>>43741474
>>43741456
>he kidnapped and tortured them
Regardless of completely unknown regulations, the fact that he went straight for 'capture and torture the shit out of apprentices' and the fact that we still dont know where Terra is, who is just a kid, means that it is a complete asshole, with no sense of how to deal with problems in a non-asshole manner. Spirit, no spirit, whatever, he's an asshole
>>
>>43741365
I'd prefer this, since I'd rather not start blaming Ayren immediately, not when we know who we are. Like I fear blaming Ayren immediately comes across as petulant even if it is accurate.
>>
>>43741174
Changing vote from >>43741493 to

>>43741334

The fucked part of this is... we DID get incredibly lucky, and this will be a good experience for both of our apprentices if we play our cards right, because this is a best case scenerio when you don't cover your bases and get fucked for it. We should've studied the basics behind our own trade if we were going to bring these apprentices in. We didn't because we did this all without any real knowledge of what the hell we are doing teaching anyway.

>>43741529
Didn't Thane, an unarguably friendly and cooperative spirit effectively mind rape and torment us several times? This shits not even on the top one hundred worst things a spirit can do when it feels like it.
>>
>>43741476
>>43741179

Thirding it. Osyki the silver tounged will not be intimidated. Not when he can charm his way into getting a new ally and perhaps mentor
>>
>>43741456
>>43741474
It's just kind of frustrating, though, because I can't recall it ever being mentioned that we needed to do some initiation rite for them. Or that the way we were binding was disrespectful to the Totemist's Pact and would have consequences. Maybe I'm just unobservant, and missed all the clues and still can't see them even after re-reading the archives. But it just doesn't feel fair for us to get blindsided with these accusations like this.
>>
>>43741556
>he's not mindraping us, he's only kidnapping and torturing our apprentices!
sure, its less dickish than just killing them and stringing their entrails up, but between eating 100 kilos of shit, 80 kilos of shit and no shit, you arent going to go for 80 kilos just because its a middle option
>>
>>43741529
Not knowing the law isn't an excuse for breaking them. Pretty much all the big boy spirits are nasty if you piss them off, what do you think old swampy would do if it was her instead?
>>
>>43741529
And the Iron General used to be an unstoppable monster who ravaged the land, you can't be black and white about these things.
>>
>>43741556
Nah, the worst Thane did to us was send us on a journey to the (relatively) safe portion of the Shade, at our request. The spirit that tormented us was just using Thane's appearance to mess with us.
>>
Realtalk how are we gonna whack this dude?
>>
>>43741605
bolide and magni unleashed, no fancy bow tricks or dancing around it.
>>
>>43741590
We're totemists, our job is to eat spiritual shit so other people don't have to deal with them. Getting kidnapped and tortured by spirits is literally in the job description. As is kidnapping and torturing spirits.

>>43741601 and that guy was relatively benign also.
>>
>>43741597
Used to be. He's nice now. As opposed to Hesheza Zahn, who is presently a dickhole. That's going to influence how we interact with him.
>>
>>43741588
Its not our fault, we didn't get those lessons. We still have been doing it wrong apparently so we should at least try to unfuck the situation.
>>
>>43741571
Again we shouldn't pass the buck immediately, and show weakness to this guy.

>>43741605
We don't? He seems to be really important to how Totemism works in the first place. Also killing a guy for not following our moral code isn't how this works.
>>
Sensing the enormity of the situation you've haphazardly stumbled into, you bite back the scatching reply bubbling unbidden to your lips. Ayren would probably let his temper flare and spit acid at this figure, and that's probably exactly why you're in this situation at all. You slide Moth's First Resort back into its sheath and lean on your spear, forcing yourself into a shallow bow.

Quinn makes a noise of surprise from behind you, but from the corner of your eye you can see him follow suit.

“I am an apprentice,” you tell Hesheza Zahn. “One thrust into a world of magic and monstrosities I have scarcely had time to comprehend, let alone understand. An apprentice once possessed of a master with too many secrets, and twice that many enemies.”

You straighten from your bow. As you do, you loose the reins on your aura, allowing a measure of your own spiritual pressure to bulwark you against Hesheza's withering gaze.

“I am not that man.”

Hesheza watches you carefully as you pace toward him, closing the distance with long strides. He sinks to place himself on your level, listening without interruption.

“I am not so arrogant that I think I cannot be taught, nor am I so set in my ways that I cannot change with constructive criticism. But this is not constructive, Zahn. You have kidnapped my friends and loved ones to a place they know nothing of and -tortured- a man whose only crime was the ignorance of his tutor.”

You plant your spear at your side as you step up the Zahn. It anchors you, pulses of brass strength threading through your arm to steady you against his presence. The stars that serve as Zahn's eyes track your progress.
(cont.)
>>
>>43741677

“Do not write me off as a lost cause, and do -not- make the mistake of thinking an apprentice poses you no threat. I am willing to cooperate and make amends.”

You extend an open palm to Zahn, steeling yourself. You can feel the rustling of his feathered cloak, hear belabored inhalations below that golden mask. Is he... alive in there?

“I am -not- willing to meekly grovel. Totemistry has no room for weakness. Let us start anew, the right way, and correct the mistakes of the past together.”

There is a moment of absolute silence. Quinn shifts his stance slightly, hand resting on the pommel of his hissing weapon.

> Roll 1d100
>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>43741692
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

>>43741692
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>43741692
Welp time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
>>
Rolled 31 (1d100)

>>43741692
>>
>>43741696
>>43741700
>>43741712
welp
>>
Rolled 87 (1d100)

>>43741692
I reckon we need a 100 for this to work.
>>
>>43741757
I feel like we should have acknowledged ourselves as a Totemist as opposed to an Apprentice.

Unless we're assuming that there's some kind of graduation ritual that Ayren neglected to teach us.
>>
It's "best of first three, unless there's a critical in the fourth or fifth", right? Doesn't matter here, since we got not crits either way and will be rolling with the 91, but I'm just checking.
>>
>>43741788
Yeah that's the rules, even if in times like these, it's pretty much tempting fate, hence why it takes longer for people to work up the nerve to roll.
>>
>>43741776
the entire problem her is our ignorance and Zahn seeing that as Aryen's hubris part 2, calling ourself a full totemist would only anger him more.
>>
>>43741866
>calling ourself a full totemist would only anger him more.
That was my thought as well. This thing did a poor job with it's methods, but if it is what it says it is we have to be willing to work with it.
>>
>>43741866
He did say that we're not worthy to bear the title of Totemist, but doesn't that mean we still bear it, he's just unhappy about it?
>>
>>43741925
precisely that's why emphasizing it would just be salt in his wound, a wound probably opened by Aryen.
>>
The subtle rasping of Hesheza Zahn's breath slows to an even (if choked) sigh. It inclines its head a fraction of an inch, moon-curved horn dipping through the air. A shadowy, insubstantial talon emerges from his cloak. Your eyes narrow, expecting assault, but he surprises you by placing it in your palm instead. Quinn exhales behind you, releasing the breath he was holding.

“I appear to have misjudged you,” Zahn says reluctantly. You can almost hear how difficult it was for this ancient creature to admit that. Something in your words cut through untold ages of hubris and power. It almost looks ashamed, its eyes raking the tapestries that hang around you. “And in my righteous fury, I have acted in haste.”

“No man or being is free of imperfection,” you tell him, shaking the talon as one would a hand. An arcane sigil flickers to life on the back of your palm for a moment before fading, a rune you do not recognize. “I know that, if nothing else.”

It nods. “I am glad to see some small fragment of the Totemist's wisdom lives on, even in so frail a form.”

It flutters away from you. As it does, the pressure around you dies out. Your aura surges wildly out of control as the resistance pushing against it winks out, flaring into the visible spectrum in a surge of silver before you manage to restrain it.

“My apprentice,” you tell it. “Terra. Is she unharmed?”

It nods. “The child is safe.”
(cont.)
>>
>>43742006

You close your eyes, nodding. Thank the gods of the land.

“She is asleep. I had intended to hold her until I had dealt with you one way or another.”

You look up at Hesheza as it floats past the tapestries, rebuffing dust from them in curtains and cascades with stern looks.

“What would you have done with her?”

“Held her until she was mature enough to receive proper training.”

You don't like the sound of that. How long would that have taken?

“Will you return her to me?” you ask.

“In time,” Hesheza responds. It is spiraling around the glittering chandeliers overhead, relighting luminous crystals with golden exhalations. “It will take time to extract her from her current residence.”

> Now, Zahn. We cannot start anew until I know she is safe.
> I understand. What is this place?
> Who are you, Zahn? How long have you been here?
> Write-in
>>
>>43742016
>>
>>43742016
>>
>>43742016
>Who are you, Zahn? How long have you been here?
Sounds like a bit of a delicate procedure to get her out. Rushing it might not be wise.
>>
>>43742016
"Is there anything I can do to help expedite the process safely?"
>>
>>43742016
>>
>>43742016

I don't think there's much point asking if we can help. He'll tell us if there's anything we need to do, now that we have a working relationship. Hopefully.
>>
>>43742016
Ah spirit logic. It could've been oh so much worse, but its still not that great. I suspect his plan was to blackmail us into getting his way anyway, which we've circumnavigated by us giving him his way. We've effectively won by not going cleave and smite.

You guys nearly fell for a trap option.
>>
>>43742549
Nobody with any sense was seriously thinking about fighting him. For all we know fighting him and winning would make our magic stop working.
>>
>>43742549
I don't think it was near at all.

Like at the last thread, while some were outraged, most understood that this guy, even if he is being a huge dick about it, really does have a right to be as pissed off as he is.
>>
>>43742604
>>43742598
I didnt want to fight him but i was expecting it to be inevitable
>>
>>43742634
you a foo' brotha
>>
You nod. Rushing delicate procedures in totemcraft is a recipe for a bleeding head wound, in your experience. You don't want Terra to be damaged by any impatience on your end, so you'll take Zahn's word at face value for now.

“I understand.”

“Good,” it says. “Now, if we are to correct the many mistakes your predecesor made, we'll need to start from the beginning.”

You look up at it. “Zahn, what is this place?”

“A site of great import,” it tells you. It hovers down to be on your level, cloak swirling dramatically around its shadowy form. “At one time, this land was the deepest untamed wild in all the world?”

“What, really?” you ask. Grisoch has its share of monsters, but you always thought there were darker jungles in the world.

Zahn nods. “Ages past. Uruhal Olihim—the World's Grave.”

The words quite literally darken the air around as he speaks them. You start as the sensations of savage jaws closing around your heart rises unbidden in your mind, and for a moment you can hear thunderous roars just beyond the walls around you.

The spirit hovers toward the grand archway. “It was here that I sealed the Totemist's Pact. This temple was erected in monument.”

“I—“ where do you start? World's Grave? Totemist's Pact? You didn't know the latter was an actual agreement. Ayren told you it was the name of the source of your powers, but you never gave it much thought. You never had time to. “Who are you Zahn? How long have you been here?”

“Come. The Grand Gate will deliver to a more comfortable locale. We can discuss your woefully lacking education while I extract your erstwhile apprentice.” It glances over a sloped shoulder at you, waiting expectantly.
(cont.)
>>
>>43742739

You fall into step behind Zahn, Quinn walking beside you. “Did you know about any of this?” he asks.

You stay silent. Ayren's training was not so complete as you thought. Day by day, you discover the gaps in your education.

The archway shimmers as Hesheza approaches it, splitting the air with a peal of thunderous noise. The world peels back like the skin of an overripe fruit as it drifts forward, revealing a vast sitting chamber beyond. Chairs lined in red cloth stand on gilded feet before a vast fireplace in the strange room the spirit hovers toward.

Stepping through the archway is an electric sensation. You think you're back in the material.

Zahn lights the fireplace with a glance. You and Quinn elect to take a seat on one of the wide cushioned lounges nearby.

“So,” Zahn begins. “I can see from your bewilderment I have much unlearning to bequeath. Where would you like to begin?”

> What was the World's Grave?
> Who are you? How did you come to be a Totemist?
> What is the purpose of this place?
> What was that gateway?
> Write-in
>>
>>43742751
>> What is the purpose of this place?
>>
>>43742739
Dear god, the first Totemist there ever was. And our home village was built over his grave?
>>
>>43742751
>> What was the World's Grave?
>> Who are you? How did you come to be a Totemist?
>> What was that gateway?
>> Write-in

ALL OF THE THINGS
>>
>>43742751
>>
>>43742751
>all of the above, order irrelevant
>>
>>43742777
i have a certain kind of hate for you people
>>
>>43742751
"Was Grisoch built here by chance, or on purpose?"
>>
>>43742751
>>
File: 1416542058050.jpg (51 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1416542058050.jpg
51 KB, 640x640
>>43742777
>Where would you like to begin?
> ALL THE THINGS!!!!
>>
>>43742751
"In the hallway I passed through to get here, I saw doors which seemed to correspond to my bindings, how much do you already know of what I've done?"
>>
>>43742751
> What was that gateway?
> "Was Grisoch built here by chance, or on purpose?"
>>
>>43742751
>What is the purpose of this place?
>>
>>43742751
The past is not quite relevant to our purposes, I think, and who Zahn was and is, also not as important. The best question, then, how we can use this place.
>>
>>43742864
That's a bit better, since you're at least placing an order to them, but I think we'll eventually have time to cover most of this, since he seems willing to teach.
>>
>>43742751
> Write-in
"I'm guessing it stabilizes bindings. Possibly ALL the bindings. Some giant totem strong enough to affect the entire world?"
>>
>>43742751
God damn it! Diarca! You are all thats left! Don't you leave us too!
>>
>>43743119
its been like 40 minutes, calm down son. We don't need the summoning circle until the three hour mark
>>
You lean back against the padded chair back, glancing around. The walls are lined with bookshelves, thick curtains of dust obscuring all but the vaguest forms of the tomes.

“What is the purpose of this place?” you ask Zahn. “You called it a temple, but it seems more like a workshop to me. In the hallway I passed through to get here, I saw doors that seemed to correspond to my personal bound spirits. Was that your doing?”

Zahn stares at you, then shakes its head as almost an afterthought. “It was not. You are correct. This is as much a manufactory and refinery as it is a holy site. It was erected to serve as a bastion for those who practice our art. It is a training ground, a font of knowledge, and a bridge between worlds.”

“Does it have a name?” Quinn asks.

“Azeo Sicros.” Zahn tells you. An orb of ruby light has coalesced before it, and it slowly feeds lines of glowing celestial runes from its mask into the orb as it converses with you.

“Does that mean something?”

It shakes its head. “There is no direct translation. It is as much a proper name as a title.”

“Azeo Sicros,” you repeat quietly. “A workshop temple.”

“It was intended to be the end of a long pilgrimage—the final trial and home for those seeking to learn the ways of Totemist. And for a time, it was.”

“And then?”
(cont.)
>>
>>43743151
Its not that! Another QM just went poof! Deleted his twitter and everything!
>>
>>43743158

Zhan shakes its head. The streamers of celestial tongue wrapping the ruby orb waver to and fro with the motion. “Time passed. Fewer were born with the ability, and fewer still the inclination. With the last great war, the knowledge of our art was all but exterminated.”

“So what can Azeo Sicros still do?” Quinn leans forward in his seat. “Obviously the forge is still active.”

“The workshop cathedral is intended as a place to push the limits of one's creativity and power in binding. The Hall of Reflection serves as a way to strengthen one's spiritual allies without resorting to base cannibalism, while the Grand Forge itself can produce wondrous artifacts from the basest materials, given a skillful touch. Some repairs will no doubt be required to restore complete function to the resources therein, but the infrastructure is eternal. I made sure of that much.”

> Tell me more about the Hall of Relfection.
> Tell me more about the Grand Forge.
> Great War?
> What was that gateway?
> Write-in
>>
>>43743176
Or THE Totemist, perhaps, considering that he is apparently the first.
>>
>>43743176
>> Who are you? How did you come to be a Totemist?
teach me your secrets
>>
>>43743176
Come here often?
>>
>>43743236
Seems like he lives here.
>>
>>43743176
> Write-in
"I take it it's not coincidence, then, that Grisoch happened to be built right on top of it. I know there was a Totemist here in the village's early days, did he guide the settlers to this spot?"
>>
>>43743166
and you're posting about it here because?
>>43743176
>What is the purpose of this place?
>>
>>43743272
Yeah that's a good point to make.
>>
>>43743176
"Who are you? How did you come to be a Totemist? Or would that be, how did you come to invent the art of Totemism?"
>>
>>43743176
>>
>>43743176
Actually, I think the most urgent questions are:

>What happened when my apprentices destroyed that one binding, which lead to this whole temple intersecting the real world? Does it continue to unravel something? Was that a binding to keep you away made by Overwake?
and
>How long will it take for Terra to return?
>>
>>43743355
Terra will return when she returns, I agree that your first question is relevant though.
>>
>>43743166
Which one?
>>
>The 1st Totemist is a dick years, if not centuries after his death, it's safe to assume that he was a dick while being alive.
>Ayren was the posterboy for "dick" while he was alive. Even in death he manage to dick us over.

Maybe Totemistery wouldn't become nearly lost if more Totemists wheren't dicks. Just saying.
>>
>>43743479
I'm thinking centuries, if not millenia after s death.
>>
>>43743176
> Great War?
> Tell me more about the Hall of Reflection.
>>
>>43743479
A job of getting worked over by monsters and negotiating with hugely powerful spirits probably does not induce a pleasant attitude in people.
>>
>>43743176
>>
>>43743176
>>43743355
>What happened when my apprentices destroyed that one binding, which lead to this whole temple intersecting the real world? Does it continue to unravel something? Was that a binding to keep you away made by Overwake?

Yeah, this is the most important question for us. This whole situation was started, on our part, by the damage done to that binding on our workshop, after all; it needs to be fixed, soonest the better.
>>
Should we trust this guy enough to tell him about how we're prophecized to help that one weird Cthulhu entity?
>>
>>43743158
>>43743176
Holy shit, we just found Totemist HQ.

I wouldn't be surprised if Osyki was one of the last remaining living totemists. We have a hell of an opportunity here.
>>
>>43743700
Fuck no! Keep your friends close and your enemies close, and eventually you'll figure out which are which.
>>
>>43743700
I think he knows. The whole "You hurl yourself unblinking into the void and you are surprised when you attract unwelcome attention" bit. He's been watching us.
>>
>>43743176
> Great War?
> write-in
"what was it to be a totemist before the arts decline."
>>
>>43743479
It seems to be a running theme that Totemists in general are extremely prone to bouts of massive hubris.

Maybe that was why the First was so shocked when we admitted that maybe we'd fucked up. He's probably used to having to slap apprentices' shit when he calls them out.
>>
>>43743866
Can you imagine a scene where Osyki goes
>So, you died and everything you've written off and passed to your aprentices got lost or something?
>1st Totemist gives that deer in the headlight look
>Quinn speaks in that false whispering tone and says "So he didn't write off on what the job entails and now he's buttmad that no one knows the finer details of the art?"
>>
>>43744024
Such is the curse of the totemist, to never properly document their art.
>>
>>43744044
Wasn't there a plan to start the unfuckening of that?

Like, write a big ol' list of SHIT THAT WILL GET YOU AND EVERYONE YOU LOVE MURDERED and SHIT THAT IS COOL AND WON'T GET YOU MURDERED for future totemists?
>>
>>43744024
>>43744044
Or motherfuckers leaving their documentation inside sealed fucking chests. That said leaving behind documentation is less of a problem when the guy still hangs around and is ready to tell you what you are doing wrong.
>>
>>43744044
>>43744074
That was my plan actually, Where we write all the thigns that get you killed, so that future totemists can figure out why that stupid ass idea they have to save five minutes doing rituals is a bad idea.
>>
>>43744074
Osyki's started that, but it's been a while since he updated it.
>>
>>43744074
It'd be like The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy except about eldrich abominations and suffering!
>>
>>43744123
So just The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy then?
>>
>>43744103
The fact that the First is willing to train people means very little when people don't know that the First fucking exists or how to bloody reach him.
>>
>>43744152
Thats not his fault. Its all well and good for him to leave shit behind but if the people after him dont whats he supposed to do about it? For all we know this whole place is written about in one of the books and we just havent read it.
>>
Something about this doesn't add up. Zahn is certainly prepared to prattle on about the history of Azeo Sicros and the facilities therein, but you lean forwad and catch his eye.

“You had a hand in building this place?”

He nods again. “I placed the first stone of the foundation and the final keystone at the tallest tower's zenith. And a few in between.”

“So who -are- you, Zahn? And how did you come to be a Totemist? Or, I suppose, how did you bring Totemistry about?”

It leans back, sucking in a raspy breath. The orb is has been forging in the air between you rises high into the air, crazed tendrils of ruby luminescence anchoring to the walls and ceiling. Hesheza pays it no mind, settling into the space above the chair opposite you.

“You haven't the time to hear my history in earnest,” it tells you seriously. “I have lived in this form for centuries. In my days walking the earth, however, I was a man only a few years older than yourself.”

The room around you blurs at the edges. Quinn carefully draws his legs up off of of the floor as the walls fade away, revealing hazy images of a dense jungle. A figure painted in blue and white slices through snake-like vines with a blazing sword in stylistic sweeps that remind you of rough cavern paintings.

“There were no great kingdoms in my lifetime. Nothing more than rough villages and settlements bound together against the primordial things that walked the earth.”

In the background a massive shape stomps by on far too many legs to count, uprooting trees and devouring them in one swift motion.

“You must understand, young Totemist—this world is very young. It is strange, but it is the truth. The lands we live in dwell yet within their nascent youth. The power that springs from the core of the world is full to bursting, and that power infuses every inch of the world around us.”
(cont.)
>>
File: 1447303877672.jpg (41 KB, 474x609) Image search: [Google]
1447303877672.jpg
41 KB, 474x609
The shining figure sweeps its burning blade, severing a dozen scything limbs from the monstrosity in a single sweep. It does not seem to notice the injury.

“Totemistry was an accident, and a gift. The spirits that rule the world took notice of our dedication and sacrifice. Humanity is not the only thinking species in this land, but we are the brightest star in a dark void. We draw the world around into ourselves and forge it into wonders like the earth has never beheld.”

The figure in the distance stands the beast's severed legs in neat columns. A vast temple springs up from the earth around them, each leg a load-bearing pillar. Several other glowing figures emerge from the newly founded structure, each armed with another luminous armament.

“The guardians of the land feared the Uruhal Olihim—“ the words ripple through the air again, and the hazy forest beyond the crumbled walls around you suddenly bristles with eyes and barbs and fangs. The human figures retreat into the temple, slamming heavy gates closed. “And with good reason. The beasts that emerged grew more frenzied and dangerous by the day. Soon, they would overrun the world and return the faint glimmer of human-kind to naught but blood on the wind.”

The forest warps and rustles. A figure of the same dark wood emerges from the treeline, placing a hand on the temple gates.
(cont.)
>>
Guys, I'm still extraordinarily paranoid that this guy might be going for the long con, and that this is all an elaborate plot to unleash yet ANOTHER ancient evil that Ayren sealed away without telling anyone like an Asshole, which would explain the guards and the totemist seal. We can't tell whether they were meant to keep people out or keep them in. We also know the only reason he attacked was because of what we thought was a damaged seal, so this could either be an attack of opportunity or a lashing out in anger or both. Keep a SHARP eye out for contradictions or fertilizer.
>>
File: 1447369070844.jpg (451 KB, 1000x1415) Image search: [Google]
1447369070844.jpg
451 KB, 1000x1415
>>43744249

“A deal was struck. Forces were joined to seal the World's Grave before it could unleash a beast capable of devouring the land whole. I was among that first army. We waged the First War. The Great Hunt.”

The forest around you erupts in incandescent flame. Spirit and man alike leap from crumbling branches, throwing one another to safety as murderous, sinuous monsters devour each like low-hanging fruit. Blood spills in every direction, flowing in carmine rivers, red and onyx and acid green. In the distance, a giant bites enormous chunks from the world itself, leaving only blank white void in its wake.

“In the end, we were triumphant, though we lost... much. Not goods or lives, but concepts and substance. We sacrificed dearly in those days for our victory.”

A single figure, blue and white and stained with blood, emerges from the smoldering ruins around. A feminine figure descends from the sky, taking its hand. A golden moon rises in the air between them.

“The World's Grave was sealed. On the keystone of that seal a pact was forged between man and spirit, an oath of cooperation and harmony.”

“The Totemist's pact.” Quinn runs a hand through his hair. “I didn't realize it went quite so far back.”

The walls snap back into place, the mist filling the room quickly burnt off by the crackling fire. Zhan nods solemnly.

> Incredible. Such an important historical figure, here and now.
> But what did the pact entail?
> And that seal is still intact? Where, beneath Grisoch?
> Ask about another subject. (Azeo Sicros/The Grand Gateway/Totemistry)
> Write-in
>>
>>43744343
I think he is probably legit. Who seals evil shit away inside a workshop?
>>
>>43744364
>> But what did the pact entail?
>> And that seal is still intact? Where, beneath Grisoch?
>>
>>43744343
Ayren sealed him because he couldn't stop talking and calling everyone a shit.
>>
>>43744364
> Write-in
"And what have I been doing to disrespect it?"
>>
>>43744364
>To Quinn "Neither did we"

>>43744371
I don't know, who makes a bullshit deal with what effectively is The Fucking Devil that he never intended to uphold before making a stopgap measure that nobody could recreate to prevent said creature from Ascending to Literal Godhood. In addition, don't get me started on all those other civilizations he knew about and never brought up, or the bullshit he had with angering every other major land spirit in the nearby area!
>>
>>43744364

> Ask about another subject(
> Tell me more about the Grand Forge.)
>>
>>43744364
>>
>>43744438
There is that but who would seriously seal an ancient evil away inside the place they live and carry out dangerous experiments? And who seals it with a seal weak enough for a pair of novices to crack open by accident? You would expect something a bit more heavy duty. Good lord that set of drawers was sealed harder.
>>
>>43744364
Oh shit, the thing that was sealed so long ago is totally the thing we're prophecized to free, isn't it?
>>
>>43744613
But then who was Void?

Also SHIT! HES STALLING ON FREEING TERRA GUYS! PANIC! WERE TOO LATE! YOU COULD'VE STOPPED THIS! HES PROBABLY STOLEN HER SOUL BY NOW OR SOMETHING!
>>
>>43744613
If not it, then something related to it. It probably wasn't a singular evil that they sealed away.
>>
>>43744613
Doesn't really sound like some sort of void creature though. Just seems to be a big pimp monster.
>>
>>43744673
It ate at the world, devouring entire concepts. That sounds pretty Void-y to me.
>>
>>43744656
Holy shit! Guys, remember how the condition for us living was that we'd basically be an empty shell piloted by whatever it was? What about Terra? How do we know if void didn't make this the scenerio where we died, where we freed it and it is now in Terra, and now we have a murder-loli soon to be freed upon the world!
>>
>>43744656
Isnt he freeing her as we speak? I assumed thats what the red glowey ball is.
>>43744688
Hunger spirit could probably do that.
>>
>>43744695
Because we're the one that needs to be hollowed out, not Terra.
>>
>>43744732
We're the one that needs to be hallowed out if we are to live! All we're guarenteed to do in fate is to free it, we're not guarenteed to live, although if we do this is our fate. So it very well could be terra.

>>43744711
He said hes freeing her as we speak, how do we know whether or not hes finishing his dark ritual that he intended to stall us from getting to to begin with? What if we didn't get lucky at all?
>>
Okay guys, slow down with the Shadowrunning
>>
DEATH TO ALL SPIRITS

Totem akbar
>>
>>43744765
What if you are overly paranoid? If he felt like it he could probably wipe the floor with us, why would he need to stall? She doesn't even have anything much to take quinn is stronger than her and he was just mildly tortured.
>>
>>43744364
>> But what did the pact entail?
This is why he is upset at us, we ought to know more.
>>
>>43744829
Quinn has the stronger spiritual pool and has a stronger will power, Terra has that childhood vitality, maybe the evil spirit is a regular on /tg/, who knows? All I know is WERE ALL GONNA DIE! We have only one clear course of action

>Kill Quinn

Followed by

>Kill Self.
>>
You shake your head. “Neither did we,” you tell Quinn. “Ayren was a little bare-bones on the history lessons.”

He snorts. If Zahn could roll its eyes, you get the sense it would strongly consider doing so.

“But what does the Totemist's Pact entail?”

Zahn floats up to where the orb has anchored itself. You can see a small humanoid figure beginning to emerge from its shining depths, though still no more than a silhouette.

“It is a treaty of nonaggression and mutual cooperation. A pact intended to unite man and spirit against grievous threat, be they material or insubstantial. Any initiated as a Totemist has right and authority to treat with any spirit, large or small, in the defense of himself or the lives of humankind.”

Your eyebrow cranks up a notch on your forehead. “Right and authority that not all spirits recognize, it would seem. I've met quite a few unfriendly spirits.”

Zahn nods. “It is law, but laws are broken by man and spirit alike. Beasts and the entities that inhabit the dark corners of the earth flaunt our pact. By law and right, their spirits are forfeit. You wear the result of that oathbreaking upon your body now.”

You glance down at your armor. “Then Feral Binding is...”

“Imprisonment and punishment for the shattering of a most sacred oath. At least, that was the origin of the ritual.”
(cont.)
>>
>>43745014

“So you were infuriated by my binding a spirit because I haven't been initiated into the Totemist's pact properly?” Quinn asks.

“Among other disregarded rituals, yes. Without the holy backing of the pact, what you do is tantamount to slavery or necromancy. Some would argue both.”

“Seems like a narrow distinction,” Quinn mutters, folding his arms over his chest defensively.

“It is -law-,” Zahn booms. Quinn gulps, nodding fervently. “You take what you have not been granted the right to own. In doing so, you weaken the sovereign authority of the Pact.”

> That does seem arbitrary.
> I understand. Would initiating them properly undo the damage?
> I-I didn't know.
> Ask about another topic.
> Write-in
>>
>>43745032
>> I understand. Would initiating them properly undo the damage?
>>
>>43745032
>>
>>43745032
>I understand. Would initiating them properly undo the damage?
>>
>>43745032
> I-I didn't know.
Damn Slavery AND Necromancy, that's almost impressive, like getting pulled over for a busted taillight and finding out you're being charged for 32 murders.

>>
>>43745032
Why did you never confront Ayren?
>>
>>43745032
> Write-in
"How is it that this is the first I've heard of it? I've encountered some spirits who told me that forceful binding of sapient spirits was wrong, and I've adhered to that. But none have said as such about beasts. What went wrong that such an important part of the law has been forgotten?"
>>
>>43745032
> I-I didn't know.
It'd be interesting to see this fuck up on our part cause us to break our shell for a moment, we always act confident in hell about everything spiritwise as we were taught to, but we've gone past the point of confidence long ago now.

This stuff is definitely arbitrary, granted, it seems every other spiritual thing is arbitrary, if you took away all the arbitrary things they're all scared wisps of power all blindly grasping at the foggy ether. They need this arbitrary substance to keep there world and sanity functioning.
>>
>>43745032
> That does seem arbitrary, but
>>
>>43745125
I think everyone and their mums confronted Ayren at least once.
>>
>>43745145
Wait, nevermind, I misread what he said. Cancel that.
>>
>>43745125
If he confronted Ayren he'd be dead.
>>
>>43745149
In fairness its a bit like saying why can this army man have a bazooka but I cant? But the bazooka used to be alive.
>>
>>43745032
>> I understand. Would initiating them properly undo the damage?
>>
>>43745032
>necromancy

Interesting.
>>
>>43745032
> Write-in
"What about Terra? She entered into a willing pact with her Salamander, did that break any laws?"
>>
>>43745032
>>43745014
Well this explains a lot. No wonder Zahn was pissed.
>>
>>43745316
Didn't Quinn also make a pact with what I can only remember as a Swablu?
>>
>>43745526
Yeah, good point, Quinn's got the Cloud Swallow too. Is binding little familiar spirits like that, with their consent, against the Pact?
>>
You swallow hard. “I-I didn't know.” You feel that you've failed as a teacher on some level, even if you had no way of knowing. Your actions put your apprentices in danger from the moment they were apprenticed to you. “What of Terra? She hasn't bound aught but a Salamander, and with its permission at that.”

Zahn nods. “Such unions are frowned upon, if only because unskilled bargains can often be dangerous for the pact-maker. Many spirits would take advantage of an ordinary mortal's feeble mind to loop them into servitude or danger. It is best for a Totemist to broker such pacts. Still, it is not unlawful, and so she was not punished.”

Quinn scratches his head. “I guess Cirr and I are in the clear, then.”

“Now that it's been explained to me, I understand the damage I've done. I apologize, Hesheza.”

The spirit inclines its head silently.

“Can the damage be undone by iniating them properly into the pact?”

Zahn floats for a moment in contemplation before answering. “No,” it pronounces finally. “The weakening influence your apprentice's unlawful bindings have had cannot be undone by bringing him into the fold.”

Quinn sighs, resting his hand on his hand.

“We will initiate him so that we may prevent further damage, but atonement will manifest in a separate trial. One I would be willing to oversee.”
(cont.)
>>
>>43745740

He perks up, leaning forward in his chair.. “Yes, yes! Good. I'd hate to damage the Pact. Even without knowing the details, I don't want to undo all of that hard work.” His fingers drum anxiously on his leg as he speaks, glancing between you and the spirit.

Zahn nods, carefully shepherding the now positively blinding orb toward the ground. You can see Terra slumbering peacefully within.

“The trial is not without danger.”

“I'll do whatever it takes.”

Zahn nods, satisfied. “Then I will forgive your unwitting transgression for the moment.”

The orb pops with a soft sigh, depositing the sleeping girl onto your lap. You loop an arm over her protectively.

“She will awaken when you leave this place,” Zahn tells you.

> Whenever you're ready, Quinn.
> Tell me more about the workshops of Azeo Sicros. Are they available for use?
> What were those creatures I fought in the entryway?
> The barrier between our worlds has weakened. Is that going to be dangerous?
> Write-in
>>
>>43745757
>> The barrier between our worlds has weakened. Is that going to be dangerous?
>>
>>43745740
>>43745757
This is good. Now that Zahn is not being a cock, he seems pretty reasonable.

> Will I be able to return here? There is clearly still much I must learn, and nobody left to teach. Save for you, if you would be willing.
>>
>>43745757
> Write-in
Ask about any counter measures we can use against the shards.
>>
>>43745757
What do we do now? I mean, I doubt you want to be here forever.
>>
>>43745859
He doesn't seem that bothered about being here.
>>
>>43745757
>Tell me more about the workshops of Azeo Sicros. Are they available for use?
>The barrier between our worlds has weakened. Is that going to be dangerous?
>>
>>43745757
>> The barrier between our worlds has weakened. Is that going to be dangerous?
>>
>>43745757
>>
>>43745814
Yeah that works
>>
>>43745757
Why did this dude appear only when Quinn and Terra broke something?
>>
>>43745757
Why appear now?
>>
>>43746096
>>43746525
Probably broke ayrens seals or something
>>
You cradle Terra close. You can feel her gentle, steady breathing against your neck—unharmed and fast asleep. At least the spirit was good to its word on that. She stirs fitfully, frowning minutely at some imagined threat.

“Speaking of.” Zahn stares, unreadable. “The barrier between our worlds has weakened. Clearly, since you were able to slip the borders and take these two. Is that going to be dangerous?”

Hesheza nods. “It will, especially for the mortals that reside in your homestead. Other beings will seek to exploit that hole in your defenses.”

You pale, thinking of at least one being that would love to exploit a flaw in your perimeter. Cold, mocking laughter fills your ears. You need to deal with this fast, before the Magus hones in on Grisoch again.

“How can it be repaired?” you stand, hefting Terra gently to rest against your chest. “I cannot put my people in danger.”

Zahn nods toward the Grand Archway once more. “The tools you seek rest within the Grand Forge. In its prime, the Forge was a powerful tool for shaping and enhancing spiritual sanctums and the denizens thereof. Properly directed, it can be used to seal the breach your unwise experimentation has wrought.”

Quinn sighs. “Sorry about that,” he mutters. “Again.”

You readjust Terra's weight so you can shrug without disturbing her. “It was my fault. I told you to work on that totem.”

Zahn sweeps its feathered cloak dismissively. “Regardless,” it caws, “You will need to familiarize yourself with the tools of the forge. Not all are present—I know of at least one artifact your mentor felt would be better served in his possession.”

“Ayren stole from Azeo Sicros?”

Zahn emits noise somewhere between a heated growl and a vulture's sickening shriek. “Borrowed.” The word almost sounds sarcastic.

The archway peels open for you again. Terra hiccups in her sleep as an electric sensation plays across your body, sending you across the Veil once more.
>>
>>43746732

“If I seal the breach, will I be able to return? I obviously have a lot left to learn, and nobody is left to teach me. Except you, obviously. If you would have me as a student.

Zahn nods. “I will make provisions for you to be granted entry. Only you,” it warns, “until the others are properly initiated. This is a place for Totemists and none other.”

You follow Zahn down the hallway and into the heat of the Forge chamber. The ruby crystal warms to his presence, loops of thready flame arcing across the surface of the enormous gem.

“So how do we do this?” you ask, gently depositing Terra on a nearby bench. “I've never sealed a rift in the world before.”

“Then consider this your first lesson,” Zahn says, its voice laden with a certain regal air. A number of strange tools whirl from the shelves surrounding, following behind Zahn in a cloud of feathered darkness. You walk with Quinn out past the Eidolons (already remarkably hale and whole, considering the state you last left them) and to the landing platform. You can sense the rift in the air even if you cannot see it. The cracked anchor that lead you here sparks fitfully.

Zahn glances at you expectantly. The tools it carries clatter to the ground around you.

“Here is all you will need to seal the breach,” it says. “Pulled from the heart of the Grand Forge.”

> Set to work, then. You'll figure it out.
> Ask a few clarifying questions. (What?)
> Ask about another subject. (What?)
> Write-in.
>>
>>43746757
> Set to work, then. You'll figure it out.
>>
>>43746757
>Set to work, then. You'll figure it out.
I have too many tabs open.
>>
>>43746757
>> Set to work, then. You'll figure it out.
> Ask about another subject. (What?)
The Eidolons. Why were we attacked?
>>
>>43746757
>> Ask a few clarifying questions. (What?)
What do each of these tools do?
is there a danger should i misstep?
>>
So guys, hypothetically speaking, if we have directly weakened the barrier between worlds, have we not potentially allowed the master of that primal spirit into this world?
>>
>>43746757
>>43746998
Uh guys... remember that spirit that is watching us and possibly currently using us as a currently inactive host for it? Wouldn't now, when we're directly interacting with a weak point between worlds, be the best time for it to ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL and break everything?
>>
>>43746998
I don't think so, that thing seems to be in a different realm from the rest of the spirit world. Also, the primordial spirit implied that it would need us to do it directly, not indirectly influencing Quinn and Terra into doing it. Whatever its plans for us are, they haven't happened yet.
>>
>>43746757
"Have you heard of 'the Magus'?"
>>
>>43746732
>enhancing spiritual sanctums

Interesting. I assume that a spiritual sanctum is the place that Osyki occasionally goes when he's unconscious/asleep.
>>
>>43747036
What would be your reaction if he respond with "yeah that's the nickname I gave my apprentice"
>>
>>43746946
Yeah I'm not sure if he's testing our intuition and independence, or our pride/willingness to learn?
>>
>>43746757
> Ask a few clarifying questions. (What?)
"I have no idea what any of these are. Could you please explain?"
>>
>>43747031
What if it needed us to infiltrate this place, as only a totemist could enter, and now that we've gotten it past the barrier and past the spirit its got us right where it wants us, for it to take over our meatsuit and use us for its purpose, and summon its Orc master into this world!?
>>
>>43747121
I dunno. I mean, yes, there are convenient tools here, but this place is also possibly our salvation too. I mean, that area to improve our inner sanctum could possibly help us shake the earth taint and void taint growing within us, the latter of which I bet it would be rather unhappy with.
>>
>>43746757
"Honestly, the whole reason we're in this situation is messing with dangerous things without proper training, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to continue that trend."
>>
You pick up two of the tools, feeling them hum and vibrate in your grasp. One appears to be a small suturing kit with tongs of ivory and obsidian. A small spider scuttles from a compartment within the handle, threading luminescent thread across the tines. The other is an absurdly sharp knife, similar in grip and composition to your ritual knife.

You glance at Zahn sheepishly.

“I have no idea what any of these are,” you tell him. “Given that I got into this mess by playing with dangerous things without the proper training, I would appreciate some guidance.”

Esheza stares a moment longer before inclining its head again. It shows you the function of each of the tools in brief—one to repair the cracked pathway itself, another to stitch the hole in the veil. One to fuse and cut any ragged edges to be easily tied, and one to inure yourself against the numbing chill of the Mists. Quinn looks over your shoulder with marked interest as Zahn uses its horn to gesture to each tool in turn.

After a brief explanation you feel much better equipped. You collect the various implements and place them along your belt, then leap with a Cloudwalking Stride up to catch hold of the sparking anchor once more.

“No pressure, boss!” Quinn shouts below you.

Wouldn't that be nice?

> Bonus added: Esheza's Guidance.

>Roll 3d100 for cutting, stitching, and sealing the hole in the mist.

> [Esheza's Guidance: The lowest roll in the winning set will automatically be replaced by the roll above or below it if either roll is higher.]
>>
Rolled 20, 12, 80 = 112 (3d100)

>>43747377
>>
Rolled 66, 48, 80 = 194 (3d100)

>>43747377
Â͑̆ͥͬ͐ͬ͛̇͂̽̽̔ͨͭ̚͞͏̣̠̞̥͙̣̠̲̞̀͘S̶̡̛̙͙̗̳̹͍̮͚̩̼̟̦̱̒͒͑͛̏͗S̴̹̝̬̭̖͇̻͖̤͓̟͕̞̦͊̓ͪ̏ͪ͟ͅṲ̴̺̮̲̖̠̣̥̖̙̻̬̩̹̞̿ͤ̅ͦ͋ͫ̿́ͅMͩ̅ͭ͗ͦ̒̉̊̚̕͟͏̙͉̟̥̗̗̲̯͈͚̝̣͉I̵̬̮̘̦̭͑̍ͤͣͬͯ̂́ͨͪͩ̕͜͟N̷̼͉̱̯͉̫̻̮̺̹ͬ̌͌̊̈̋̽͂̇͋̊͐̓ͭ̒̀G̶͂̋͑ͣ͑͡҉̶̜͎̦̲̝͚͈͙̺͖̥̲̫͕ ̷̖̝̜̼̝̳̖͇̯̹̻̩̼ͩ̓͌ͯ͛ͫ̓̈́͑͂̔͜D̡̜̘̮̪̠̗͔̞̻̦̯̟͔̲̫̟̬̐́̃ͪ̅͋̒ͤ̀̀I̢͚̘̖͙ͬ̊̆̎ͥ͌̉̾̋̔̆͒͗̒̃̈́ͭ͘̕͟͟R̶͈̗̼͈ͬͣ͂ͩͩͦͨ͞Ëͯ̈̄̒ͦ̾ͮͫ̾͂ͥ͞͝҉̜̺̮͎̬͉̯͖̳̦̠̝̩C̉̊͑͋ͮ̒ͨ̎͑ͦ̆ͭ̂̕͏̠̺̼̜͕̠̯̰̬͙̱͕T̵̷͎̮̝͕̭̖͇̫͉̪͖̫̯̥̗̗̈ͨ͒̋̄ͤ͊ͩ͑̕͝ͅ ̨̘̹̖̮̙͛ͧ̀̇ͩ͘͟͟C̸̛̠͉̭̮̗͕̟̰̩̦͇̯͚̙ͥ͋͒̽̆ͧ̂̄̅́ͦ̋̚͡O̢̢̗͍͙̪̲̮̺̞̟̜̟͍̟ͬͥ̐͗̉͐̔̽̅͆̉̈̂̑͒̓͂̀͘Ñ͆̆̒ͤͮ̓͏̷̵̗̜̼̪͓̝͎͈̘̲͕͓̥͚̠͎ͅT̡̧̨̘̝̙͚̺̪͚̟̻̰̝͔̍̇̀͌ͫ͒̂͆̓ͩͭͮͤ̐͘͠Ŕ͚̤̞̫̭̺̤̻̖̭͎̱̪̽̿̑ͦ̈́̊̂ͥͧ͊̉͟͝͡͠O̸̰̯̳̙͕̘̭ͧ̅̈̃̆ͧ͟͠Ľ̢̘̠̤͓̦̺̹͕̙͔̟̯ͤͣ̎̒ͩ͗͊̾͢͞
>>
Rolled 77, 28, 94 = 199 (3d100)

>>43747377
>>
Rolled 75, 89, 21 = 185 (3d100)

>>43747377
>>
Rolled 55, 2, 64 = 121 (3d100)

>>43747377
Let's see how we do.
>>
>>43747423
So I assume 4 and 5 aren't eligible due to not being crits, which means we got 77, 48, 94?

Weird that we rolled consistently poorly on stiching except for >>43747430
>>
>>43747461
Wait, why aren't 4 and 5 eligible? >>43747423 won right? And the 89 in the roll below it is higher so we use that? Unless I'm misunderstanding how the guidance works.
>>
>>43747461
Osyki good at killing and binding! ...not so good at healing.
>>
>>43747598

[[This anon is correct. Esheza's guidance can pull from the fourth or fifth roll. Had the fifth roll crit and been taken as the winning roll, it could have pulled from a theoretical sixth as well. Bonuses like this will sometimes circumvent the usual rolling rules. Post incoming.]]
>>
File: 1371851197003.png (632 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1371851197003.png
632 KB, 900x900
> 77

The thin cloth of the Bolide Bracers wards off the worst of the punishing energy that threatens to squeeze the eyes from your skulls as you wrap your hand around the anchoring chain. This high up you can see the artificial borders of this sanctum, the edges of the world where the landscape blurs and the mists take over. Closing your eyes against the dizzying sight, you instead open your third eye and view the world through your sixth sense.

The world paints itself in broad strokes around you. The hole in the air is easy to identify in this way—the color of the world muddies to a dull gray where the Mists leak through the sky. You open the small locket at your belt and breathe easier as it projects a visible shell around you. The numbing sensation creeping over your fingers vanishes with a sensation like blood returning to a starved limb.

If nothing else, you're deft with a knife. The blade sings and hums as you lash out at apparently empty air, severing threads of raw creation with the keen edge. Strands of the veil boil away under the tool's edge, leaving only a shining line to catch hold of.

> 28

> Esheza's Guidance: 89

The suturing tool is an unfamiliar one in your hands. Elana would be better suited than you to stitching the ragged hole in the world. You manage a passable job, though you credit that more to the tiny metal spider's acrobatics than any skill of yours directing it. The filament of raw spiritual power pierces in and out of the weakened veil, drawing it close together until a thin line rests in the sky above you. With Esheza directing you from below, you manage a tight stitch, though your fingers ache to the bone by the time you're done. Further inspection reveals them to by dry and cracked, your nails chipping at the edges. Dangerous work needs dangerous tools, you suppose.
>>
>>43747716

> 94

Unwilling to leave the job half-finished you pull the tiny golden rod from where it rests in your belt loop. Flicking open the cap at one end manifests a circle of runic power which unleashes a torrent of unbelievably potent spirit-fire into the air. You swing the rod into position with a yelp of surprise, watching as it melts the thread into an invisible slag the coats over the rupture, seeping into the gaps to form a seamless whole. Replacing the cap on the rod is done with a flick of your wrist, banishing the glowing circle of light and ending the stream of horrific spirit-flame.

You gratefully release your hold on the anchor, plummeting down to the stone tower below. Cloudwalker Stride absorbs the impact of your descent, but you can't help stumbling once and landing hard on your ass. That took a -lot- out of you.

“Superb work for a first time forgemaster,” Zahn comments. “You've potential yet.”

> Thank you. Might we rest here before we depart?
> So I've been told. Tell me more about the Forge.
> It could have been better.
> Write-in
>>
>>43747728
>> So I've been told. Tell me more about the Forge.
>>
>>43747728
> It could have been better
give a chance to ask more questions
>>
>>43747728
>Thank you. Might we rest here before we depart?
>>
>>43747728
>> Thank you.
> It could have been better.
>Tell me more about the Forge.
>>
>>43747728
>>
>>43747728
> Write-in
"What was the tool Ayren took, by the way? I might find it among his things and be able to return it."
>>
>>43747728
Thanks friend.
>>
>>43747790
I'm betting it's that holy spear thing that he told us he hid, it is a good thing to ask though.
>>
>>43747799
Well, Illthruvia appeared to be the result of a bound Focus, but I suppose it's possible the base item the spirit was bound to was one of Zahn's tools.
>>
You snap the locket-shaped tool at your belt closed, returning the whole lot to Esheza with a slight bow.

“Thank you,” you tell him, doing your best to resist the urge to pick at your chipped fingernails. “If I might beg more of your hospitality, I would appreciate the chance to rest before we depart. Now Quinn and I both have injuries best kept from travel.”

Another delay. You wonder if Zahn is making faces behind that mask, or if it simply has forgotten the normal flow and pace of a conversation after so many years of solitude.

“Very well,” it tells you. “You may rest your aches within. When you are ready to depart, find me in the antechamber. I will prepare the means of your return whilst you rest.”

You shove your hands in your pockets as the three of you cross the stone bridge to the Cathedral's vast double-doors again. You open your mouth to ask of Esheza again, but it's clear the spirit is in no mood for talk at the moment. Its pace outstrips the two of you quickly as it soars up the steps, vanishing from sight.

“Cheerful, that one,” Quinn mutters.

“How's the rope-burn?”

He shrugs. “Not as bad as it looked at first. I don't think he was the one doing the dirt work, anyway. Whatever was stalking around the workshop had definite footsteps.”

You grimace. “So Esheza has partners.”

“Or servants,” Quinn points out. He side-eyes the Eidolons (now steadily rebuilding upper haunches and torso, respectively). “Seems to be a lot of bound spirits around here.”

You nod. “Either way, I intend to turn this into an opportunity for us.”
(cont.)
>>
>>43748529

Quinn slugs on the shoulder. “That's the Osyki I know." A beat, accompanied by a constipated look of hesitation. "We fucked up bad, didn't we?”

“Through no fault of our own,” you remind him. The tools you returned to Esheza rest neatly where they were taken on the racks surrounding the magma pool beneath the heart of the Forge. Your eyes wander naturally to the empty spaces where missing implements should rest.

“I get the feeling we'll be doing a lot of repairs in the near future. I wish someone had taught Ayren the meaning of 'collateral damage'.”

Quinn snickers, settling down on the workbench beside a sleeping Terra. He pets her hair absentmindedly as you pace around the forge.

You're determined not to be weighed down by the sins of your predecessor. If Ayren couldn't be bothered to teach you the underlying essentials of your art, you suppose the First Totemist will do as a stand-in tutor.

“So ends another exciting chapter, eh?”

You turn to Quinn. The crystal at your back beats in tune with your heart, and the light of the forge swirls around you.

“On the contrary," you tell Quinn. "I think this is just the beginning.”

[[We'll end things here for the evening, gentlemen. Thank you for being such an enthusiastic audience this evening! As always, drop any questions about today's episode into my ask box. Have a good week!]]
>>
File: Osyki.jpg (119 KB, 731x1000) Image search: [Google]
Osyki.jpg
119 KB, 731x1000
[[Forgot my usual end-of-thread image!]]
>>
>>43748548
Thanks for running, Diarca. See you next time.
>>
>>43748548
I love you senpie.
>>
>>43748567
Thanks Diarca, I'm now even more paranoid then I was before.

We're going to die horribly aren't we?
>>
File: Frog.png (89 KB, 350x284) Image search: [Google]
Frog.png
89 KB, 350x284
>>43748548
Thanks for running.
>>
>>43748567
Thanks for running. This is an interesting development
>>
>>43748567
Thanks for running! Even though he was deeply flawed, I kind of hope Osyki doesn't completely resent Ayren.
>>
>>43748805
He was a complete asshole with a heart of gold.

Pride/hubris fucked him over, and everyone else in the process, but he wasn't a bad dude.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.