[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General /bgg/ - NC-17 Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: adult-board-games.jpg (148 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
adult-board-games.jpg
148 KB, 640x480
Obligatory resource links:

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

Last thread: >>43518394

>Which games would you love to see a new edition of?
>What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?
>Is there a game you've gone nuts about and bought everything released?
>Are there any smaller expos or conventions in your area you've visited/visit on a regular basis?
>>

Up until now it would be StarCraft but I just bought it used. So Thunderstone probably, because it's dead right now.

> What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?

House mate, girl friend and a couple of friends.

> Is there a game you've gone nuts about and bought everything released?

Not yet!

>Are there any smaller expos or conventions in your area you've visited/visit on a regular basis?

Negtive.
>>
>New edition?
Not far enough down the gaming rabbit hole to know what I've missed. Any reccommendations?
>Game group composition?
My friends are all fkn casuals, I need to find more geeks nearby.
>Crazy about...?
Love me some cutthroat Neuroshima Hex and Carcassonne, got a ton of expansions for both, and I'd like to get expansions for many other games, but I wouldn't go as far as paying ridiculous amounts of cash for promos and such.
>Not in my area. There are a few events in larger cities, but I have to travel ~5 hrs to get there, and my budget is low enough as it is to pay for the trip and boarding.
>>
>>43612737
>Any reccommendations?
As far as new editions are concerned: The new Through the Ages edition is a real improvement over the old one. Basically it's a eurogame take on Civilization without a map.

>streamlining of unnecessarily clunky mechanics for no loss
>softening the over-emphasis of the military
>new card balancing based on a fuckton of games played online
>finally artwork that doesn't give you cancer and is actually really sweet.

Still, if you didn't like Through the Ages to begin with you won't find the new edition appealing either.
>>
I'm writing an essay for college to persuade people to play more board games. So, tell me gents: why should people play board games? What is there to be offered by this recreation?
>>
File: TI3.jpg (367 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
TI3.jpg
367 KB, 1000x662
>>43612487
>>Which games would you love to see a new edition of?
TI3, or at least an sort of mini-expansion with more balanced rules and character boards with suggested presets.
>>What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?
Friends, between one and three times a week with three different groups.
>>Is there a game you've gone nuts about and bought everything released?
TI3.
I've played it once, with vanilla rules.
>>Are there any smaller expos or conventions in your area you've visited/visit on a regular basis?
Nope.
>>
File: Twilight Imperium.jpg (234 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium.jpg
234 KB, 900x582
>>43614145
Fuck, I meant this image.
>>
>what game needs a new edition
I would have said Batlecon: War of Indines (that artwork...dear god), but it got its updated version this year. Not quite sure what else, if any, in my own collection really needs a new edition. An El Grande reprint, so i can try it, perhaps?

>What game did you go too deep into
Pic related. Only thing I'm missing are the custom faction dice. Plaid Hat found they were too expensive to produce, but they always sold out as soon as they restocked. I just wanted to get a Tundra Orc set for my mate, but the aftermarket sets are hard to come by, and stupid expensive. Oh well, still the most I have spent on a non-ccg game, and well worth it all.

> game group composition.
Everyone from everywhere. My core group has my wife, friends from highschool, cegep, and university. But I also have brother-in-law, coworkers, wife's coworkers, brother-in-laws friends and girlfriend, brothers of my friends, friends of friends, cousins once removed of my wifes. Got a steady rotation of people coming and going to my house. It's nice.

>Smaller expos
Nope. Do not really bother. I guess once day I would like to visit gen con, but why exactly is hard to say apart from, seeing lots of game and gamers.
>>
File: IMG_20151112_202044.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_202044.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>43615340
>pic related
oh for fucks sake
>>
What hapenned to the Generals? Its not like /tg/ to run out of historical figures to shop.
>>
Anyone wants to play Seasons online with me?
>>
>>43614145
Find your FLGS and see if anyone plays it.
One guy from out of town came in and was interested in it. We had a store copy and a handful of people who wanted to play.

So we played once a week for about a month. Game is the best, but you need a regular crowd with lots of time to spare.
>>
>>43612487
Probably Betrayal, if only so I have an excuse to buy a copy of my own instead of relying on a friend's friend to provide it.

>What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?
Friends, and eventually family hopefully. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of playing with strangers.

Not yet, but I am thinking about buying everything related to the Wings of War series whenever they are available.

Board games aren't popular enough here to warrant a convention, I'd be happy enough if a store for it pops up.

>>43614117
Social interaction between friends and family members. If you tend to enjoy video game gatherings, then you'll enjoy board games.
Tactile and collectible components. Moving an actual thing around the table can feel pretty good, and the prettier stuff can be collectible.
Variety of games. No, it's not just Monopoly, Scrabble, or Risk. Insert examples of games with wildly different mechanics here.

Actually, you could probably just get more ideas from SUSD's New Player's Guide to Board Games video.
>>
>>43612487
>PERVET
God damn, that pisses me off.
>>
>>43612487
>new edition?
Hmm... Not sure. Our group still owns a few games we haven't played yet, so I'm not really thinking that far ahead right now.

>composition of group?
Friends, who have become close friends. Other friends. The occasional regular from the shop I M:TG at.

>gone nuts for a game?
Seasons. I mean, I only just bought it, I haven't had time to buy EVERYTHING yet, but... Yeah, it's Seasons. Battlestar Galactica was another obsession game.

>local cons?
My group and I will be giving a few panels and running the game room at a local con soon.

>>43614117
Definitely the social interaction, and for a former wallflower like me the context to allow interaction. Face-to-face gaming in general has helped me come out of my shell a LOT over the past few years.

Other than that, it's because it's fun. The other players certainly provide much of the fun, but not all of it— otherwise, we'd just be playing chutes and ladders or cards against humanity. We play complex games because we find the mental challenge enjoyable. Even when we play a lighter game, we still want something better than "roll-move-read the tile."
>>
>>43614117
Social interaction. Mathematics. Discovery. Imagination.
>>
>>43614117

Social interaction and meeting. it's ridiculous how playing board games changed my and my gf social life.

Before playing board games I would go out to friend maybe once a month, my gf the same and we almost would never meat anyone as a pair.

Now we meat people twice a week, once a weak at least.

Also: logic skills, basic probability etc but that only comes in if you're dedicated.
>>
File: ghost-stories.png (344 KB, 644x404) Image search: [Google]
ghost-stories.png
344 KB, 644x404
In Ghost Stories what's the purpose of the 3d doodad. Can't find it referenced in the manual and none of the instructional videos
>>
Just picked up flashpoint to play with my friend.

We're hoping controlling 2 firemen each works
>>
>>43612487
I missed you /bgg/
Played Broom Service earlier tonight and loved it
Lifeboat, preferably a deluxe edition with all the expansions included
My Friends, people at meetups (lots of regulars whom I really like), and people I've befriended through bg meetups
Dominion (including promos), Cutthroat Caverns (including the adventure books, which my friends hate)
Not that I've been to. I think that's for people who don't get to game as often as I do
>>
>>43615340
>El Grande reprint
It's happening mate
>>43619196
>betrayal new edition
When pigs fly mate
>>
File: MDdpTaQ.jpg (227 KB, 1024x691) Image search: [Google]
MDdpTaQ.jpg
227 KB, 1024x691
>>43612487
Dune I guess, though I don't see that ever happening. More realistically, an edition of Triumph&Tragedy with a mounted mapboard and non-shitty counters.

A bunch of friends from uni, we all started playing boardgames together about 7-9 years ago maybe?

Nope!

That would be GothCon, conveniently enough held at a school about 10 minutes walk from where I live. It's not purely a boardgame convention, but covers role playing games, card games, board games, Warhammer, LARPing, and other "nerd" stuff. This year that dude Simon Stålenhag was there signing copies of his book for example.
>>
>>43617953
I have a small crew and we play at the LCS but I couldn't make it the past two weeks due to homework and procrastination.
>>
Groo: The Card Game
Meetups, so it's more people who share the same hobby spending time than friends chewing the fat
The closest I ever got was The Simpsons TCG, and even then I realised I was spending money on The Simpsons TCG
There's always The UK Games Expo, but there's nothing small about that event; they had to move venues a few years back because they needed more floor space!
>>
>>43620122
Inactive taos marker, used when the dark mistress shows up.

>>43620165
It does, but you can each also control 1 and do fine.
>>
File: pic54572_t.jpg (12 KB, 200x138) Image search: [Google]
pic54572_t.jpg
12 KB, 200x138
Has anybody here ever played Goldbräu? If so, what did you think of it?
>>
So, funding for Blackout went into freefall about 3-4 days before final funding. From a high of $107k it is currently sitting at $92k with a few hours to go. It actually re-locked several stretch goals due to this, which probably led to the chain reaction that is draining funding. Such is life in the kickstarter eco-system when backers smell a rat.

Anyway, what do the denizens of /bgg/ think of the Banner Saga boardgame? The kickstarter's currently up, as are the rules.
>>
File: tg cattestation.jpg (2 MB, 4250x2391) Image search: [Google]
tg cattestation.jpg
2 MB, 4250x2391
>>43612487
Starcraft.
Or TI3 with shattered ascention integrated.
Combination of friends and family, a couple guys from the FLGS who have been promoted to friend status.
Heroes of Normandie. No regrets.
SaltCON down in Utah isn't too bad.
>>
Was about to say none and then something hit me. I would love to see the Buffy the Vampire Slayer from Parker redone. With lots of minis, scenarios for all the seasons, and different characters for them.
Right now, nobody. Moved away from all my friends for a job and that means no boardgaming at all...
Descent 2.0. Kinda regret it though. Also pledging for EVERYTHING Shadows of Brimstone may qualify.
Nah
>>
>>43622472

Thank you! Will have a first session soon, the game's instruction looks more complicated then the game itself desu.
>>
>>43622932
I really liked the Banner Saga, and I almost never play games like that. Only thing that kept me from finishing it was getting stuck in an impossible fight and it wasn't worth a reset just to potentially get stuck again

KS video for the boardgame is unconvincing (shitty salesmanship throughout), I generally hate minis games, and this one doesn't seem to bring anything groundbreaking to the table. Don't see why I don't just play the video game
>>
>>43612487
Castles of Burgundy, the game is amazing but the components could be better.
>>What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?
Currently it's just myself.
>>Is there a game you've gone nuts about and bought everything released?
Space Hulk: Death Angel. That game blew me away when I played it first time.
>>Are there any smaller expos or conventions in your area you've visited/visit on a regular basis?
I went to Pyrkon last year, planning to go there next year as well.
>>
>Finally happy where my collection is
>Good spread of games genres, play time, theme and depth
>Coolstuff flash sale 10% off everything

FUUUUUUUUU
>>
File: gg wallet.png (9 KB, 433x223) Image search: [Google]
gg wallet.png
9 KB, 433x223
>>43627066
>Coolstuff flash sale 10% off everything
God damnit anon.
>>
Are there any magazines dedicated to board games or is it all pretty much on blogs and BoardGameGeeks now? I remember Scrye used to have a section dedicated to boardgame reviews, it was pretty cool.
>>
File: PandemicLegacy-blue.jpg (175 KB, 798x600) Image search: [Google]
PandemicLegacy-blue.jpg
175 KB, 798x600
Hey /bgg/ I'm about to start a Pandemic Legacy campaign. I'll give reports on how it goes, because this is my first legacy game and my first pandemic game. I've managed to avoid spoilers so far, so I'm really excited.

Has anyone here played this game yet? How did it go (in a general sense, I don't want it to be spoiled)? Red or Blue? Would you by a Season 2?
>>
>>43627066
Update: Flash sale is over. Was only until 5PM EST.

Hope someone got in on it.
>>
>>43622932
6 hours to go and it's at 90k. I feel bad for those still backing.
>>
How do I convince my wife and close friend that two ring maps in ti3 are the bees knees? They are determined its not enough planets,losing too many system tiles. Adding a new system with wormholes apparently does not cut it. What do?
>>
>>43628157
First: You determine whether or not they're a pair of pansies. If they are, they'll never be happy with the lack of fluffy buffer room between players.

If they're not pansies, then play a game with two rings and watch them convince themselves. Offer blowjobs if you're wrong, if that's what it takes.

Note: In my experience, It's not necessarily two-ring systems that make the game more interesting, but that's an easy way to force it. Unusual and asymmetrical map design without excessive room to separate people is what really does it.
>>
>>43628518
>Offer blowjobs if you're wrong

I'm not sure that would work barring his wife having a feminine penis.
>>
>>43628518
>pansies
To be fair, they are the players that have historically turtled and won the most amount of games, while also acknowledging they want to chance their playstyle habits, encouraged through custom maps.
>>
>>43627621
Specifically held out. Their 7 Wonders: Duel stock ran out right before the sale. Probably not making another order this winter without it
>>
What do you think of Red Raven Games?
>>
>>43627492
I am currently in February (so pretty early on) and I have to say that up to now the whole experience has been an absolute blast. We've won just once, but opening the doors to reveal stickers to put on the board and then putting stickers on the rulebook itself and then opening boxes to take out new components to play with is immensely satisfying. I bought Blue, and hell yeah I would buy Season 2 in a heartbeat.
>>
>>43631276
I just got back from my first session and I have to say: I had fun but I'm not sure I enjoyed myself.

We played a warm up game of normal Pandemic before hand and we won quite securely. We jumped into the second game and things were bad from the initial draw. Determined, we gathered city cards to cure the out of control yellow disease. With only half a round left to cure the disease we drew an epidemic card and triggered dossier 19 which fucked us. We lost the first half of January with two cities rioting but no scars. We are starting the second half of January tomorrow.

This game is brutal and at one point we even considered having our characters abandon the infected areas to save themselves.The ripping of the first card was the moment shit got real. and a lot of the jokes stopped. This game is going to be a hell of a ride.
>>
File: 1370689896023.png (259 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1370689896023.png
259 KB, 640x480
>>43633136
>I had fun but I'm not sure I enjoyed myself.
>>
>>43633551
Yeah pretty much. I've never encounter a game that actively hates the players in the way this one does. But it's the experience I signed up for so I'm not going to quit until the world is disease free.
>>
Speaking of Pandemic, I want to get the regular version but am kind of put off by the massive number of expansions, since I feel like I'm not getting a complete game even if the base game is really solid. How critical are the expansions?

Also, where could I get a decent Mahjong set for cheap? Everything 30-40 on ebay looks super low quality.
>>
>>43617344
I've OPed this thread and the last one so the nice OP images haven't been done by me. Sorry, I suck.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
File: 1443178305291.png (72 KB, 764x1025) Image search: [Google]
1443178305291.png
72 KB, 764x1025
>>43622472

> tfw you saw that image for the first time
> tfw you wanted to get starcraft but the game is out of print
> tfw it costs $300 to get
> tfw you found it in almost pristine condition for $100

It's a glorious feel.
>>
I would love to see more D&D related Dice Masters, as the other types don't really tickle me.
Me, myself and I. Sometimes I get to go to my FLGS (about 1hr drive away) and play with some people there.
Arkham Horror and Descent. Own(d) everything ever released. My Descent got stolen and so now I'm collecting IA. Also got everything for Arcadia Quest, including KS edition. Might sell though, seeing as it never gets play.
Epic Diem will be hosting soon, hoping to get this years and do some boardgames!
>>
File: 1446573351334.png (377 KB, 498x497) Image search: [Google]
1446573351334.png
377 KB, 498x497
ALL RIGHT LADS, IN LIGHT OF THE RECENT ANIMAL CHIMPOUT IN FRANCE, WHATS THE BEST "REMOVE KEBAB" BOARDGAME?
>>
>>43634149
On the Brink is a must have, the new roles and events add a ton of replayability. The fifth virus, the mutant strain and bioterrorist are fun, but you want to have a few normal games to grasp the mechanics before including any or all of those.
>>
>>43637704
>>>pol
>>
>>43637704
A distant plain, or any of the COIN series, is about as REMOVE as boardgames get.
Maybe warfighter for a co-op tactical level OPERATOR OPERATE experience.
>>
>>43637704
>>43640537
In addition to A Distant Plain, I suppose Labyrinth: The War on Terror should reasonably be quite REMOVE as well (never played it myself). Also a game by Volko Ruhnke fwiw.
>>
>>43640622
Yeah, labyrinth is also fantastic. Only a yes it the once, but I was impressed.
>>
Anyone interested in playing Seasons online?
>>
>>43640773
Only played it*
>>
>>43640773
>>43640839
Ugh, guess I'll have to try it then. If I end up liking it....goddamn GMT desu. Recently got both Churchill and Triumph&Tragedy, currently waiting on the Cuba Libre reprint to make the P500 cut as it seems like the best starting point for the COIN games. A friend has Andean Abyss, but the smaller play area of Cuba Libre makes it seem like a more tight and volatile gaming experience so to speak.
>>
>>43640537
A Distant Plain looks actually surprisingly good. Anyone got experience about playing it?
>>
Opinions on Fury of Dracula?
>>
>>43637704
http://mashable.com/2015/11/14/paris-attacks-how-to-help/#D.ewQHNz9kqi
>>
>>43612934

I was part of the online playtesting for new TtA. I see it as more of a mixed bag.

Best:
Streamlining of turns from change to corruption and discard of military cards.

Good:
Discarding military cards for defense. Stops early/speculative attacks. Do not be fooled into thinking that the late game is less about military now than it was before. You just have a longer time to build up your civ.

Balance changes to buildings and tactics. They are good after we convinced Vlaada to not buff Heavy cavalry to 5.

Even game length between number of players.

The new Churchill.

Mixed:
No sacrificing. Makes the end game less tense but also saves a lot of time.

I actually prefer the old artwork, but I will probably get used to the new.

Bad:
Ugly balance changes through tacking on additional effects (Jean D'Arc).

The new impacts.

Iron/Coal/Oil is still overpriced =(.

Shakespeare is arguably worse.

Bill Gates OP

Worst:
Copying of tactics. This looks decent on paper but it does not work in practice. There are fewer tactics now so it still as likely that you will be left without a viable age 2 tactic as before. it also decreases variety when someone play classical army (instead of denying it) and everybody copies.
>>
>>43628518
>Offer blowjobs if you're wrong...

LOL STEEV.

Speaking of blowjobs. Just got done playing 8 to 10 games of 'The Grizzled'. Didn't beat the game once, but it was only 2 player games which seem to be tougher as all the 'hardships' fall on just your two characters.
>>
File: flashpointboardgame.jpg (89 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
flashpointboardgame.jpg
89 KB, 620x465
I've been looking for a board game to play with my ten-year-old brother. He's hyperactive and shirks away from competition, so I had in mind a relatively simple cooperative game. Flash Point, which I saw mentioned earlier in this thread, was cheap and sounded perfect. It arrived in the mail this morning and we played our first game.

He was pretty uninterested when I asked him if he wanted to play "a fireman game," but as I set up the board and started rolling for the starting fires, he got really into it. The strong theme made the experience very evocative. We saw the bathroom explode into a blaze of fire, wrecking the nearby walls and damaging the house's structure, and he laughed like a madman. He could easily grasp the rules, and the fire spreading mechanics were very intuitive and smooth.

We had a close victory with only two structural damage cubes left in the pool, but we continued on to see what would happen. The house collapsed with both of our firemen safely outside and one last person trapped in the inferno (we saved eight with one earlier casualty). My brother found that absolutely hilarious.

Great game for children. Very easy to get into. I'm not sure how the gameplay would stack up with a group of experienced adults, but the specialized roles (optional, in the advanced rules) seem to add a good amount of variety and complexity.
>>
>>43645845
If you want challenge get the Extreme Danger or Dangerous Waters expansion. Extreme Danger adds a lot more to the game, including new minis that match each role, and new hazmat/explosives, fire doors, etc. Dangerous Waters adds one of the toughest boards in the submarine which is 2x the length and 1/2 the width, changes your game play up quite a bit especially since there's only one exit in the center of the map. I hear the new Honor & Duty maps are quite a bit of fun too, the airplane looks like it could pose a challenge with the exits being on the complete opposite side of the map from the plane itself.
>>
>>43645845
>I'm not sure how the gameplay would stack up with a group of experienced adults
Not very well to be quite desu but it's great for the kiddies.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2 MB, 1366x1618) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2 MB, 1366x1618
>>
>>43646099
>desu
Did we get a word filter added to /tg/ or is it 2004 again?
>>
>>43645845
Careful that you're not grooming him into a psychopath
That said great post
>>
>>43647713
The abbreviated form of "to be honest" is word filtered to "desu."
The make counterpart of cucquean is word filtered to "kek."
The shortened form of "family" used by Blacks is word filtered to "senpai."
>>
>>43648271
*male counterpart

It's because every other post on many, many boards would end with "desu senpai" and we all know about kek.
>>
>>43648289
Thanks obama.
>>
>>43647882
Nah, he's a good kid. Who doesn't love seeing things burn down? ...Maybe it runs in the family.

But yeah, he was really getting into it. Shouting with excitement during the fire rolls. At the end of it, he said, "I didn't think a board game could be so much fun." It was cute.

>>43646069
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't like to go overboard with expansions (though I am always tempted to), but some of the extra boards do look neat.

How is the storage for the game + multiple expansions? With them adding at least one board apiece, do you need to keep the boxes for each?
>>
I'm not sure how /tg/ feels about it, but how is Ticket to Ride? I see it everywhere, so it must be popular, though I know that doesn't mean it's good.

If not, any other good train-related board games out there? It seems to be a surprisingly big genre.
>>
>>43648451
I get not wanting to go overboard, I'm not really big on spending money unless I know I'll get play out of that game or expansion, so I'm holding off for a while and just settling for the Dangerous Waters as it changes the game more than anything else and is like $10.

As for space, if you keep yourself limited, it's not bad at all. I got Flash Point for my birthday this year so I wouldn't have to keep stealing my sister's copy and spent two days building a decent insert while I had time off that week. I've got room for an expansion, but the original valley style insert probably has room for two boards as is. If you get Extreme Danger it's a full sized box as well and you can drop all the boards into one box and the tokens/minis into the other no problem.

>>43648513
Lots of anons here love it, some hate it, others don't care either way. The base game works well for kids/non-gamers though mini cards are an abomination and should be burned. The Asia expansion changes the game pretty nicely with the team variant, and the new UK/Penn is supposed to add some pretty nice depth and strategy to it. Most "train games" are more economic and involved than the simple set collection in TtR, though R&R came out with a pretty entry level one called Spike last year. It's solid but not as deep as a lot of the heavier crayon rail options. Possibly the best train game out there doesn't involve trains at all: Power Grid, it's basically a train game with a different theme slapped on it.
>>
>>43612684
>>43623209
>StarCraft up for auction on BGG
>$40
>Expansion available for same price
I don't even want to bid, it hurts each time the thing jumps out of my budget.
>>
>>43648513
It's a good gateway euro-ish game, lightweight and fun, not too deep strategywise, no multiple resource management, not a lot of interaction between players. Collect cards, build routes, score points, repeat.
Expansions and other flavors add different mechanics to vanilla TtR, which add some levels of strategy. Europe is a good place to start if you're not playing with total morons, adds stations and tunnels. Marklin is the heaviest one, adds passengers and cargo. Nordic is good for a 2 player game.
>>
>>43612487
Anyone else accidentally jizz on their game manuals before? Like you just have it out to read it and then suddenly you feel the urge to fap so you just set it down somewhere nearby and then accidentally shoot on it. What do you do in such a situation?
>>
For any anons interested, I just went to Amazon and the Krang character expansion for Mage Knight popped up as a suggested item. I guess they did a reprint of it recently? Either way I grabbed it. It's a bit expensive for what it is (it really is more or less just one character) but I love that game so much that I don't mind the price. Got it for just under 30.

Also picked up two other things. First was Caverna. I've been meaning to get it for a long time now but the high price tag has kept me off until now. I've never actually played before, but I've heard nothing but good things and I don't really have any sort of worker placement games in my collection. What's the best number of players? My game group is small, usually 3-4 of us at a time. Is there a sweet spot?

Additionally, I also got the 4th expansion for Darkest Night. Was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences with it by chance? I'd heard that it changes the win condition, which is good cause that was one of my gripes with the game; a single dice roll is all that really happens in the end. Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts?
>>
>>43649779
..wipe it off?
>>
>>43649779
Never change /bgg/.
>>
>>43648513

The base game is a very good entry level Euro, incredibly easy rules, suspense and a surprisingly high skill level (look at the competitions in it). All expansions I have tried have been worse than the base game on one of these counts, with Swiss and Europe having the dubious honor of being worse on both counts

There are actual train games as well, if you are not familiar with the genre try Age of Steam or Railroad Tycoon and if you like it go for the 18xx games.
>>
>>43649488

This poster is a horse, do not listen to what it says, it does not even play board games.
>>
>>43652001
>and a surprisingly high skill level
Memorizing routes and tracking the colors the other players have been taking?
>>
>>43652028

That is the first part of it. In general you can say that you have to have good guesses of what the others are doing to even play the game at a high level. When you have that knowledge it opens a complex strategy space 1) calculating the chain effects of your actions like Puerto Rico, trying to claim routes that set off or do not set off a chain 2) doing it to mess with the player in the lead 3) trying to mess with others reading of you 4) re-arranging your planned route taking all these things into account.

You can git gud in TtR. When I was heavy into it I won five national championships in a row and came second in the sixth one (the first one to have a substantial price). Now I shitpost on 4chan instead.
>>
>>43637369

Apparently I'm retarded as I meant to quote this:
>>43637251
>>
Hey /tg/, massive boardgame casual here so I don't know which ones qualify as "fun" very well.
I've been tasked with procuring a boardgame for me and my friends to play at our next gathering and have no idea what to go with so I'm looking for suggestions.

There's gonna be 3/4 of us, we play (and like) risk, catan, carcassonne, puerto rico, Axis and Allies (which we sometimes like, sometimes hate), and mainstream stuff like monopoly. I've tried to get them more into the RPG side of /tg/ but it wasn't for them, and at the end of the day we're looking for something more chilled out that doesn't require ultra-thinking or strategy.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>43612487
Nothing as of now. It used to SURVIVE but it was re-released a few years ago

>> What's the composition of your gaming group like: Friends? Family? BGG game finder? Game nights at your FLGS?
Friends
>> Is there a game you've gone nuts about and bought everything released?
X-wing for the first two waves then got too expensive.

My town had its first convention this year and it was great! Really well received.
>>
>>43652634
Small World, Tsuro, Gemblo, Flash Point
>>
>>43652634
With that kind of group, I'd take a look at:
Kemet
Cosmic Encounter
Small World
Maybe Smash Up or Coup if card games are acceptable.
Might have some better suggestions if I was more than about 15% awake right now.
>>
>>43614117
beer
>>
>>43652634
To go along with STEEV's suggestions >43653500
I'd suggest:

Funemployed
Dixit
Saboteur 1 & 2
Five Tribes
Telestrations
Cash-n-Guns
>>
>>43619349
me too, anon. me too
>>
>>43645845
Well I just bought Flashpoint as well, as a 30 year old man. I played with my wife, three times I think, and we both loved it.

Are you playing the family rules? If so, of course its for kids.

The advanced rules make it much more challenging.
>>
Is Mage Knight going to get another expansion? Or was Tezla supposed to be the last?
>>
>>43658932
Mage Knight expansions (or reimplementations) are like Starship Troopers movie sequels. They appear without warning or reason in a confused attempt to augment an impressive original piece.
>>
File: Todd.gif (11 KB, 386x227) Image search: [Google]
Todd.gif
11 KB, 386x227
>>43659101
>>
>>43653500
>cosmic encounter
>fewer than five people
>>
>>43660143
I think five is at or near the max you want to run CE with, and also the ideal number, but it's still quite solid with 3/4.
>>
>>43660658
I only play with 5/6, at 4 everything always devolves into alliances.
>>
When I'm not feeling well and I think it's likely to be contagious, I often listen to The Dice Tower videos, specifically the countdown ones where Tom, Zee, and Sam are all hanging out and playfully shit-talking while they do the list.

This is so I don't make others sick too by being around them, but there's at least something going on and I don't feel lonely.

However, the only countdown videos like that I can find in a while are Tom Vasel's top 100 of all time that was uploaded like a month ago. For a while there they were uploading top ten lists like every week.

Why did they stop?

I have a man-crush on Zee.
>>
>>43662699
They've been spending their male bonding time on their Christmas gift suggestion lists and their pandemic: legacy run recently.
>>
>>43663558
Thanks. That helps. I just love their chemistry.
>>
>>43612487

Scrabble question which came up last night:

If the word "call" is played going down, can I build the word "sailor" off of it by pluralizing call? EG:

C
A
L
L
(S) A I L O R

The two people I was playing with told me that was illegal because the examples on the box didn't include building words that way, and that all I could do was add the s for "calls." We tried to look it up, but couldn't find any clear examples online. Does anyone actually know what the rule is, here?
>>
>>43664000
http://scrabble.hasbro.com/en-us/rules/
Scoring examples turn five, straight from the horse's mouth.
>>
>>43664000
There must be pages missing from your rulebook because it's clear as day in mine
>>
>>43634149
You don't really need the expansions, but you should buy it used anyway because Z-Man doesn't deserve your money
>>
>>43664413
>z-man
>game salute
>CMON
Any other corps on the gestalt /bgg/ shitlist?
>>
>>43664042
>>43664392

That's what I thought, thanks!
>>
>>43664457
Mayfair is pretty shit
>>
>>43664457
FRED/Eagle-Gryphon, because Rick Soued is a shithead
Indie Boards and Cards, because Travis Worthington is Major Shithead
>>
>>43664714
Aren't the doing the cool new edition of Age of Empires?
>>
>>43664825
yep. Can only hope it turns out better than the Through the Ages kickstarter reprint that was promised last year, but still hasn't shipped and is already outdated compared to CGE's TtA: A New Story of Civilization

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/through-the-ages/comments
>>
>>43664714
>Eagle-Gryphon
Forgot about them, they really fucked up the reprint of Tumblin Dice.
>>
File: sweaty-man1[1].jpg (78 KB, 493x328) Image search: [Google]
sweaty-man1[1].jpg
78 KB, 493x328
>>43664945
Hope the High Frontier I kickstarted doesn't become like this.
>>
>>43665038
I actually thought about including Ares Magazine in my list, but no sense in trying to shame clueless dolts who will probably never publish again
>>
>>43665146
Aren't the also publishing the War of the Ring expansion?
>>
>>43665390
Wait, that's Ares Games. Are they and Ares Magazine related, or is it a coinkidink?
>>
>>43665390
>>43665497
Same name, different companies
>>
>>43664413
>>43664457
What's the matter with Z-Man?
>>
>>43665692
pre-2011: great company
2011: acquired by filosofia
post-2011: chintzier components/bad QA, horrible support policies and impossible to reach over email

so if you're lucky enough to have no problems with your game, you're fine
>>
>>43665692
Z-man no longer runs his company. Z-man had a good eye for publishing.
>>
>>43612487
Anyone have dank filenames?
>>
File: 122303-120742.jpg (53 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
122303-120742.jpg
53 KB, 500x647
I'm off to a meetup that I haven't been to in a while (stupid real life) - hopefully I'll be able to pull out 404: Law Not Found!

I will not be able to pull out 404: Law Not Found.
>>
Off to play Churchill for the first time in a couple hours, should be fun!
>>
Got a few games of Ca$h n Gun$ in at my fool brother's birthday party this weekend. Goofy as balls game, but it's hard to maintain any semblance of strategy with more than 4-5 people in that game.
>>
File: ]].png (283 KB, 443x452) Image search: [Google]
]].png
283 KB, 443x452
>>43669971
>used the same word twice in the same sentence to refer to the same thing.
Shame starts early this week, I see.
>>
Anyone else here track their playcounts?
>421 plays of 150 different games for 2015 as of yesterday
>on track for well over 500 for the year
>>
>>43614117
Depending on the college/who you are presenting to, you could talk about how cool it is to see a game "come to life". What I mean is that it goes from being chunks of plastic and cardboard and words on a page to a living, breathing machine just by following a few simple rules. Part of the reason I love games is to figure out why the mechanics are what they are and seeing which rules are the pin that keeps the game from failing or falling flat. Also, some of the game components that these designers come up with are pretty awesome. Just my two cents.
>>
>>43669971
Ca$h n Gun$ is probably my favorite party/light game right now. There's something so simple yet so fun about pointing foam gun$
>>
Is anyone doing a 10x10 on bgg? I'm getting close to completing 5 of the games, and need to intensify my efforts to get it done.
>>
>>43674631
My moods are too erratic to try for something like that, I'd have to exclude too many games for too long.
>>
>>43674815
You should try it, it really gives you a deeper appreciation of the games once you play them several times in a short timespan.
>>
File: 1368653855967.jpg (19 KB, 624x464) Image search: [Google]
1368653855967.jpg
19 KB, 624x464
>>43669489
>couple I know show up
>they bring Dominion with them
>never played it before, but I'll give it a shot
>first game goes okay
>second game has Embargo, Ghost Ship and Village
>one of them cheeses it so much with Village and Ghost Ship, the other one ragequits and sulks
>mfw I save the evening by suggesting Zoowaboo, and deliberately play it like I'm a Saturday morning cartoon villain out to ruin their picnic, making them team up to defeat me
>>
Do you know what really annoys me? All the people talking about Betrayal like
> It's not supposed to be competitive or balanced, you'll have more fun if you just enjoy the story :^)
That's literally no one's complaint about the game, the reason it gets hated on is you have only the tiniest amount of input to the game that's vastly overshadowed by the randomness and railroading in the game and the story the game weaves isn't compelling or even coherent.
>>
>>43619196
>>43619964
>>43620007
>>43620057
>>43653592
All your answers have been interesting, and useful.

>>43674354
Could you give some examples of rules that are make-it or break-it? The only example that springs to mind for me is that in the Chew card game, if there weren't an element of fucking your opponent over (fuck-you mechanics, as I call them) the game would be each player only doing one thing. It'd be a race, not a true game. That interactivity is what makes it endearing. Are there any other examples of a rule/mechanic that without it would make the game either unplayable through either boredom or brokenness?
>>
>>43674631
Never heard of this. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
>>43678988
I had to look it up too:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/184084/2015-challenge-play-10-games-10-times-each

It's a year-long 'challenge' to play ten different games ten times each. An incentive to put more time into deep games, I would suppose.
>>
>>43679423
It's really more a reaction against cult of the new, and trying to enjoy what you already own, rather than playing a game once and then setting it aside forever how's 404 Minifig? Well worth attempting, even if you don't plan to finish the challenge.
>>
>>43677646
Dominion isn't for everyone, but
>"cheesing" in Dominion
no such thing
>ragequitting and sulking
I don't understand these people
>>
File: mule-the-board-game.jpg (335 KB, 1021x1024) Image search: [Google]
mule-the-board-game.jpg
335 KB, 1021x1024
Any ex C64 kids here looking forward to this one?
>>
>>43682630
Not quite old enough for that, I cut my teeth on that newfangled DOS doohickey on a 386 or something, but the concept seems interesting.
>>
>>43682630
I can hear the theme music in my head.
>>
>>43682953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaBDzp4T7g
>>
>>43682630
There is the online version if you are interested in it.

And I am totally going to buy an extra mule and intentionally let it go, just to screw you, and drive up the price of my smithore.
>>
>>43683063
You mean planet mule? Yeah, it's really good for anyone who's interested:

http://www.planetmule.com

I actually don't know if the mechanics allow you to release mules to drive up Smithore; I think there was some controversy about it.

I'm also not sure when it will be available in North America. Anyone heard anything? I don't think pre-orders are being accepted to the United States.
>>
File: doggy.jpg (16 KB, 480x236) Image search: [Google]
doggy.jpg
16 KB, 480x236
>>43645845

Aw, this is actually really cute.

Good job anon.
>>
>>43680304
It's fine, thank you very much. My problem is I tend to pair myself up with whatever newcomers arrive at the meetups, and 404 is definitely not a newb-friendly game.
>>43682453
It was explained to me that such situations very rarely happen. However, given that the guy who cheesed it managed to get about 34 points, I got 11 and the girl who ragequit got 8 (she and I put Embargos on Provinces and Duchys) so... yeah.
>>
>>43664000
Holy fuck.

Not only is this legal, its the entire fucking point of the game.

Scrabble isn't so much about building words, its about multi-word combos and board-blocking to prevent your opponents from scoring double and triple words, double/triple letters next to vowels and space for long words.

Playing Scrabble without combo-ing is like such amateur hour that I can't even imagine its playable.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
>>
>>43685078
>>43682453
Just to clarify, the last half hour of play was just that one guy going "Village, Village... Pirate Ship... Pirate Ship... Village... Pirate Ship... and I'll buy some Provinces".

I wish I was making this up.
>>
>>43689211
Yeah, dominion's heyday has come and gone. Game is a poster boy for content bloat.
>>
>>43689508
I've played better deckbuilders, but they'd brought it with them so I figured I might as well give it a shot. I'd play it again, but I'm not going scouring BGG and eBay for a cheap copy.
>>
Any of you guys have used Tabletop Simulator before?

Does it work well? I was thinking about getting it with a few friends to play a few games.
>>
>>43690495
It's not bad, but no replacement for IRL.
>>
>>43685078

>I suck.
>Therefore he was cheesing it.

I am so mad right now. Why did you even buy embargos and then put them on the victory points? You embargo things you _don't_ want to buy or things you have already bought and don't want your opponents getting. Even worse, the fact that he was buying all his provinces at once, near the end, meant the curses didn't even effect him compared to the players who buy single provinces early.

You spent $2, a buy, a draw, and an action to get a one-shot silver that harmed yourself. He would have stomped you ghost ship or no ghost ship.
>>
>>43687276
>Dilbert Corporate Shuffle
How have i never known this was a thing? Do you happen to know if it actually plays well?
>>
Does anyone here have broken token organizers and can say whether or not they're worth the price? I just got my copy of Caverna in the mail today and am excited to play it, but holy shit the number of components is no joke. I'm a big fan of solo games and in a solo setting, I wouldn't mind setting it up and breaking it down, but I mostly intend to play Caverna with friends who probably don't want to spend the time...is the organizer really gonna save me a good amount of time (and headaches?)

Similar question in regards to Mage Knight. I know that there's an organizer for it, and I would love one as Mage Knight is definitely something I'd break out for myself more often if set up/clean up wasnt so time consuming, but I still wonder if it's really worth it, and more specifically, I'm wondering if it can fit the recent Shades of Tezla expansion that came out, as I believe the organizer was designed before that expansion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated so that I don't spend a stupid amount of money on cardboard that isn't a game.
>>
>>43691265

Like 90% of the games in his infographics, it's trash.
>>
>>43691542
Don't have one buy a friend does for their copy of KoT; it's definitely nice, but the cost isn't worth it to me. The wood definitely helps strengthen the box, but so does a simple foamcore insert, and for any game that has pieces I want to protect the wood seems a bit too hard to do the job. If you've got money and you want to simplify a game that's card/wood driven like Caverna or one of the larger deckbuilders, I'd say it's a decent buy. If you want to protect something I'd rather do the $18 build your own option at Battle Foam, and if I just want to make game setup/tear down faster I'll stick with the foamcore. Elder Sign and Flash Point that I picked up in August cost me a grand total of $10 to make inserts for, not including the glue I already had at home. There's plenty of other ways to waste all that cash in the hobby, and this way I get to pretend I'm good with my hands.
>>
>>43690984
Both I and the other player sucked at placing embargos, allowing him to cheese it
>>43691265
I had a copy many moons ago, and filtering it through my current games snob brain it was a nice little filler with the Dilbert theme kinda tacked on that came out before playing new games became acceptable. I bought another copy at this year's UK Games Expo, and I hope to confirm my nostalgia
>>43691615
I try to make sure each game I put on there reaches a base standard of "good, even if you're kinda casual/playing with family", hence why I have The Witcher Adventure Game and the Jungle Run card game on the /v/-related list.

I've kept quite a few games off the lists - Chew: The Card Game, Bang! The Dice Game: Halo Edition and The Walking Dead Board Game to name but three. My criteria is "Does it have good reviews/a high BGG ranking?" and "Do people on /bgg/ have any criticisms beyond 'shitsux'?"
>>
>>43691915
I've tried making my own inserts in the past, and frankly, I just suck at it. Not crafty enough I guess, and my hands aren't very steady (my handwriting is atrocious for the same reason).

I've never heard of battle foam, but looking at the site, it does seem like a good option for a lot of games. I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the suggestion. I may not be literally crafty, but I can certainly design a tray or two. It's probably something I'd like to do for Mage Knight.

I think for Caverna though I may just go with the broken token organizer...I have the money to burn at the moment, and Caverna doesn't have any pieces that are essential to keep in good condition by any means. Really I just want organization to be easier so that it has a better chance of hitting the table at game nights without everyone rolling their eyes at the time it takes to get to playing.

Thank you for your input
>>
>>43689680
Which deckbuilders are better for you? I've played Legendary Encounters and Dark Gothic and both fell super flat. Also, if you count Eminent Domain, that was meh too
>>43689508
Didn't love paying $3 for a single card but I don't mind having one game where I can splurge and get a shit-ton of content
>>
>>43692545
I've only played Legendary: Villains and Ascension. L:V was good fun, and I'd say Ascension was about as good as Dominion.
>>
>>43692545
Not the guy you're talking to, but Ascension is one of my favorite games. It's definitely my splurging game...I bought every set soon after getting my first couple plays in. I understand it's not for everyone, and some people are put off by the art in the earlier sets, but I'm always up for a few plays. It goes quickly, there's just enough interaction between players (by way of taking/exiling cards from the center) and the flow of the game is fantastic to me. Also makes a very fun solo experience.
>>
>>43690984
>>43691996
Whoever brought it should've kept it to one attack in the supply. Or at least they should've given you some hot strategy tips. Once you get two attacks, new players generally will get frustrated with not knowing how they interact/counteract with each other

I'm pretty much at the point now where I don't want to teach Dominion to new people so I can get expansions played

>>43692633
>>43692701
There are a couple people in my group who shy away from Dominion but love Ascension. I should probably get around to it

I forgot that I've played Star Realms, which I thought was okay, but still prefer a static supply
>>
>>43692797
Well, the player who quit halfway to sulk put an Embargo on Embargo, which kinda ground things to a halt.
>>
Anybody asking Santa for board games?
>>
>>43693700
Debating asking for the black edition of Star Wars: Risk/Ackbar's Gambit. The standard version looked too cheap to pick up at release, but the rules clarifications from the developer and the fact they gave it a real insert and not paper thin cardboard is tempting. Not sure I'd pay $50 for it, but Santa can waste money on me if he wants.
>>
>>43693700
4chan is for adults so no
>>43693849
Own the standard version, played with black edition on Sunday. It's much nicer, but it's not worth double the price unless you want to put the metal pieces on display or something. The guy who owns black edition got metal figures for Vader and Luke from Star Wars Monopoly, which definitely classed it up. I'd also personally want metal hitpoint markers for the Executor and Millennium Falcon before calling it a worthwhile buy
>>
File: fedoratroupe.jpg (182 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
fedoratroupe.jpg
182 KB, 960x640
>>43694017
Sharp
>>
>>43694869
Goddamnit, for the last time, those are trilbies, not fedoras! Learn to tell the differences...
>>
>want to take up freelance writing part-time so I can afford board games
>don't even know where to start
Sucks. Guess I'll just watch some more Dice Tower videos.
>>
>>43695888
Does it matter? That whole family of hats (down to the fucking bowler) has been ruined for basically anyone in the west who isn't Ryan Gosling or some shit, for the next five years or so at least.
>>
>Cthulhu Wars ends tonight
>am pledging way too goddamn much
I mean damn this is a great game but this is too much.

But I neeeeed it. I neeeed all of it. God, it's so gorgeous, and sure it's a lot of money but it's a good game and it's so much stuff. So much stuff.
>>
>>43696710
You'd be surprised how liberating saying No is Anon. Especially when you put that same cash into a coolstuff/miniaturemarket order that you'll get much sooner and has much more raw content.
>>
>>43696774
This is an odd thing, but... I don't actually want more games. I'm at the point where more games is just diluting the pool. I feel like we play a different game every single time we meet, and it sucks a bit.

I want a game that gets played constantly. Cthulhu Wars has already become that for me; every time I bring it it gets played and people constantly ask to play it. It always attracts a crowd when I play it at the club, it's just got that draw to it.

So, I'm going to add to it. It seems logical, right?
>>
>>43696959
Totally feel you anon.
>>
>>43692101
>>43691915
What Battle Foam tray would you rec for Castles of Mad King Ludwig?
>>
>>43696959
Same logic I use on heroes of normandie, except it gets played sporadically at best. Carry on, anon.
>>
>>43697409
It's a TtR sized box right? Use the link below and customize with cutouts for what you want in there. I've never played it so I'm not sure what needs protecting, but I've bought custom Battle Foam so I could keep X-Wing in it's box without using their shit premade, and am debating another for XCom since FFG inserts make me angry.

http://us.battlefoam.com/custom-custom-standard-board-game-foam-tray/
>>
Is Rattus getting a reprint? I've heard it's kinda flawed mechanically, but I kinda dig the theme.
Not worth amazon asking price of over $100 though.
>>
>>43699376
You can find it new and like new on BGGM for <$50 before shipping.
>>
I just posted about the decline in quality of boardgame generals with the invasion of name- and tripfags and a janitor deleted the post. Nice going, faggot, keep brushing the issue under the rug.
>>
>>43703057
>general thread
>decline in quality
Well no fucking shit. Generals betray the very nature of image boards, especially ones which try to encourage new content by deleting threads no one posts in. Forget MLP, reddit, and tumblr, Avatar: The Last Airbender was the first death knell of 4chan.
>>
>>43703072
We used to have good boardgame generals before they turned into tripfag circlejerk.
>>
Anyone have the rulebook for Star Empire from TSR?
Please, and thank you.
>>
At risk of repeating questions already asked, has anyone actually played the new edition of fury of dracula yet? Is it good?

>>43703077
And yet the tripfags basically never post off-topic, unlike you. If there's a decline in thread quality, it's do to over-retread ground, not some imagined boogeyman.
>>
>>43704702
>tripfuck attention whores
>never posting off-topic
>every single post is "look at me, look at my shit no-one gives two stuffs about" or "look at my blatent stupidity, you can tell it's me constantly being stupid because I'm a fucking attention whore"
>never posting off-topic

Uh huh. I'm going to have to go with 3/10 here, best I can do.
>>
>>43704779
There's only one person I'll agree fits that description on this general, but she wasn't a trip and she's been absent for a while

Complaining about trips is useless dude, just filter if you really believe in what you say
>>
>>43704841
Doesn't get rid of the stubs or the people replying to them unfortunately.
>>
>>43704851
If their posts are off-topic shit, why are people replying to them?
Literally point to a single off-topic trip post in this thread, I dare you.
>>
>>43704702
>>43704841
>>43704857
Shh, just let go of the bait.
>>
Got my big box of goodies today. It included Shadow of Brimstone Swamps and all the extras and Expansions for SW:IA. Was unboxing everything and sorting what goes where and how I'm going to build storage solutions before I got too tired and needed bed
>>
>>43704702
I'd also like to know this.
>>
>>43705912
>>43704702
I'm trying to get it played tomorrow, but the combat overhaul alone seems fantastic.
>>
>>43693700
I've asked for a copy of Bang! The Dice Game, in the vain hopes that my family will want to play it.
>>
>Space Hulk
What do you guys think about it?
I'm about to get a sealed copy of the 2014 reissue.

Be as detailed as you want as I know little about the game but am very excited to play it!

Once the figures are assembled, is it still possible to fit them and all other components in the box safely, or even at all?
If not, what is the workaround for it?
>>
>>43706668
I've only played once, so my opinion probably isn't worth a lot.
I liked it, but it felt really barebones, much lighter in rules than I was expecting given the box's size and price.
Overall, I think I like Level 7: Omega Protocol better, but it's not a bad game, just a bit too pricey for what you get and a little shallow.
>>
>>43707150
/b/ maybe? /tg/ is not for whining about tripfags for vague reasons like "I think they're stupid because minifig sucks at dominion and wants to play 404" or "ti3chick is extra objectionable because vagina reasons" or "steev keeps posting .gifs of his dick windmilling and making fun of betrayal" or whatever your problem is
jesus christ talk about some boardgames

>check coolstuff
>see battleCON logo in their daily sale thumbnail
>fuck yeah finally
>it's just the armory mini-expansion
you people keep hyping me up and my balls are getting blue
>>
>>43706668
disagree with >>43706719
Space hulk is one of the tightest well designed games you can find (which involves rolling dice and shooting things).

Its remained fairly unchanged since 1st edition because of how well it works, with slight tweaks here and there.

The gameplay is fantastic, instills a real feeling of pressure and terror and the claustrophobia of being in a space hulk hunted by genestealers.

The minitures are extremely detailed, but are pretty much 90% already constructed, and the bits that are plug and play.

Over all - 9/10 if you like space people shooting space aliens. Although, still a great game even if you're not in love with the theme.
>>
File: i mean wonderful.png (40 KB, 484x481) Image search: [Google]
i mean wonderful.png
40 KB, 484x481
>>43708444
I actually don't disagree with any of this, I just want more granularity and complexity in this kind of game. And yeah, the miniatures are way better than Omega Protocol.

>>43707657
>steev keeps posting .gifs of his dick windmilling
Don't get your hopes up.
>>
File: Tapestry.jpg (44 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Tapestry.jpg
44 KB, 250x250
>>43707657
>live outside the US
>see a huge BattleCON sale
>everyone speaks highly of it and want to get it
>game was never released in my country
>on check out
>'Oh hey, your country adds 80% of the base price as taxes plus whooping 40$ shipping which makes taxes + shipping twice as expensive as the game itself'

You don't know dissapointment yet.
>>
>>43710449
Contact your closest store. They should find a way. If not, PnP is better than nothing
>>
Okay, so I'm fairly casual when it comes to board games, and so is my family, but I'm into other /tg/ (primarily tabletop RPGs) and am interested in delving deeper into the... genre? Medium? I'm gonna go with medium.

I'm interested in delving deeper into the medium of board games, but still only have my casual family to play with.

Advice?
>>
>>43710449
Christ... and I thought I had it rough waiting for Corto not to cost $60 on Amazon any more!

Still hoping for a reduction around Black Friday.
>>43710611
What games have they enjoyed so far? And I mean actually enjoyed, not just gone "Oh, I'm sure this game will be fine... it sure looks interesting!"
>>
>>43710806
My absolute favorite is The Resistance. After that, probably Love Letter and Ticket to Ride. I also really like the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and King of Tokyo has moments of fun (I think I would love it if I didn't play with my sister, who, though I love her, gets pissed if you target her for any negative thing in a game with more than two players).

We also have Small World but haven't played it yet. Carcassonne is almost the same in that I've played it but not enough to say for sure how I feel about it. Seems fun but I don't know whether I'll still like it after a bunch more plays.
>>
>>43711016
Cosmic Encounter would be a fun stepping stone for you, I think.
>>
Can anyone tell me if I have a single core set of WH40K:Conquest what the best decks to ally together are? Also, are the starter sets balanced against each other?
>>
>>43711069
Thanks. It's been reprinted several times, right? Which is the best?
>>
>>43710806
>>43710806
Sherriff of Nottingham, Skulls and Roses (if your family is already familiar with trick taking card games), Tsuro, 7 Wonders, Blokus, Camel Up, and Magical Athlete could all have potential. Casual, light weight, each have their own charm.
>>
>>43711143
Go with the current version by Fantasy Flight Games. Good selection of starting Aliens and solid components.
>>
>>43711157
Will do. Thank you.
>>43711144
My family LOVES trick taking card games. I assume this has some kind of twist? Also, Sheriff of Nottingham seems right up my alley. Bluffing (a.k.a. straight up lying through your teeth to loved ones) games are my favorite. I'll look into the others too.
>>
>>43711016
Gemblo might be good, as it's only playable with 3-6 players (there are rules for 2 players, but those rules are just "use two colours each")
>>
>>43711188
Skulls and Roses is similar to Liars dice, but you can suicide yourself.
Everyone places round cards to start a turn, and a player either places another card form their hand, or starts calling a bid. Players try to guess how many roses they can find that the table has placed down. Problem is, if they find a single skull, they lose a card, lose the challenge of finding X roses, and do not see any unrevealed cards. If you can find X roses while being the challenger twice, you win. If you run out of cards (4 each to start the game), you are out. So either you win by winning two challenges or being the last man standing.

Games are really quick and intense, as you have to reveal what you played first, so if you are stuck as the challenger, congrats, you auto lose that challenge. Gotta know when to hold them and fold em, and be sneaky...

Sherriff is more about the wheeling and dealing and hedging your bets, along with sweet sweet bribery, and, as you said, lying straight to the custom agent's face. If you roleplay it, it gets even better. Favorite moment was when a merchant was asked by the sherriff: "so how many goods in the bag?" and the reply was "no hablo ingles, senor".
>>
>>43711292
** stuck as the challenger after having played a skull card
Christ, proofread your shit, self-anon.
>>
>>43711292
>>43711320
Yep. Both of those games are going on my list. Thank you!
>>
>>43711715
Glad to be of help. Hope you guys enjoy!
>>
Are there any good board games that are very inexpensive (talking less than $20)?

Family wants to know what I want for Christmas and the cheaper the things I ask for are, the more likely they'll get them instead of just asking and then getting what they want me to have anyway.
>>
>>43711144
>skull and roses
>trick taking
What?
>>
Dragging my wife into a Pandemic Game tonight, here's hoping it goes well.

Only played once so far with a friend, I forgot to remove epidemic cards and we got wrecked.
>>
>>43711911
Dice tower made a video on that recently. Check it out and see if any of them grab your eye.
>>
>>43711911
Epic: the card game
Love Letter (eeeeh on the "good part")
Star Realms or Cthulhu Realms
Gloom
The Grizzled

Cannot think of too much else.
>>
>>43712029
Thanks.
>>43712033
>Love Letter (eeeeh on the "good part")
Love Letter is good as filler, I think. Is this one of those things where a game becomes too popular and it suddenly sucked all along?

Anyway, thanks for the other recommendations.
>>
No ones answer when I ask... but, would anyone like to play seasons or any game on BoardGameArena?
>>
>>43712180
Can a shitty old laptop from 2009 manage to run board game arena?
>>
>>43712248
>anyone like to play seasons or any game on Bo
of course... I think, it's not demanding
>>
>>43712342
>>43712248
sorry for the quote
>>
>>43712248
>>43712180
Despite the odds that this old bird will freeze and crash, i have signed up. Never done this before, what do now?
>>
>>43712406
what's your username? do you know how to play Seasons? or any other game on there?
>>
>>43612487
>xanadu
I thought proper nouns were a no go in scrabble.
>>
>>43712469
I played seasons this past winter, should be able to remember enough. Pick a dice, use its effect, hopefully play a card and get those sweet sweet vps or wreck your shit.

Name is notSTEEV
>>
>>43712475
So are misspelled words.
>pervet
>>
>>43712509
invited you
>>
File: 556358_1286630516271_full.jpg (11 KB, 361x341) Image search: [Google]
556358_1286630516271_full.jpg
11 KB, 361x341
>>43712509
>>
>>43712590
Alright, this will either work or end horribly. Fingers crossed my pc can handle it. already it is running quite slow, this thread wont even update while I have arena tab loading.

>>43712598
I do my best.
>>
>>43712725
>being mad at someone for not being you
>>
>>43712725
>posted without your trip.
I saw that, steev
>>
File: commit.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
commit.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
>>43712818
>>43712752
>>
Hey, my laptop can handle this. Any other /bgg/ anons want to join us in camaraderie?
>>
>>43713207
I would, but preoccupied with stuffing manicotti. Seasons is on my games-to-try list, though.
>>
>>43713207
If you're okay with newbies I could join in about 5 hours
>>
>>43713604
The Canadian in my heart is screaming to stay up. The mid twenties tired guy is sighing no...
>>
Are there any good games that combine card drafting, resource generation, and lying out your ass?
>>
>>43715935
Coup, sorta.
>>
>>43715935
Arctic scavengers actually has all three in some extent.

You deckbuild by using cards that generate food/medicine to buy cards in the middle of dig in a junkyard. Every round eveyone is competing over the center contested resource. Everyone puts a number of cards face down as their fighting force. You could put down two helpless scavengers and a piece of junk to bluff someone out from not putting anything out and take an easy sweep even with shot cards.

Maybe not 'lying out your ass' but it does have a bluffing element.

If you are going to get it, plan on getting the recon expak soon to add enough card to upkeep on the replayability of you like it.
>>
>>43715985
Not quite what I'm going for, but thank you.
>>43716097
That sounds really fun, actually. Thanks.
>>
Anyone have TTS and want to play boardgames?
>>
>>43711911
>>43712033

Cheap and also family friendly:

For Sale
No Thanks!
>>
>>43716206
>>43710611
Added the family friendly because I meant to add this anon. Well, cant get it right all the time.
>>
Hey /bgg/ friends. I require your help.

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a game to get my little brother for christmas, and given that the dude loves board games but is also a closet weeaboo (already owning Tokaido and all) I figured my options are pretty open.

I myself play a lot of tabletop rpgs and not too many board games, and was thinking that a game that bridges the gap between the two concepts might be perfect. Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>43716568
Tragedy Looper's got some of that going on, but its not the best for replayability.

>>43716125
They actually sell the base game bundled with the recon expansion, look for that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.