[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DMing for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: based_vikings.jpg (3 MB, 4576x6112) Image search: [Google]
based_vikings.jpg
3 MB, 4576x6112
Hey /tg/

So my roommates and I want to start a D&D campaign, but the problem is none of us have very much experience. I have the most experience having played through two 3.5 campaigns, so that makes me the most qualified of us to DM. Honestly I'm nervous that because I haven't memorized all the rules it will kill the pace of the game and people won't have fun. I also don't have enough time with work and school to dedicate myself to learning the intricacies of the rules now. Any suggestions for what I should do? Possibly play an even earlier, simpler version of D&D? Any fun starter campaigns that aren't just hack and slashing goblins and are easy for the DM to run? I know my players will want a balanced roleplay-combat campaign but not too much on either or. Thanks guys
>>
>>48015965
You don't need to know all the rules by heart. Thats what the books are for. I know you think it will slow the game down but as long as you talk to them and stay engaged the pace won't drop off.

Have no fear dude as long as you make it fun and have some laughs (The whole point of the game) They won't mind it being a goblin hunt if you can make them laugh a little or let them guide the story a little bit.

>edition
D&D 5e is the most stream lined right now just start with that.

>Campaign
Have then be town guards and throw rowdy adventures at them and pridy much have D&D Cops Mid evil edition. Me and my buddys do that all the time when our DM can't show.
>>
>>48015965
You need to exert dominance over the group, so at the beginning of the first session pick the biggest fattest neckbeard in the group and insult his waifu, his character and his dice, if he argues then punch the fucker in the face.

Once he's been put in place, get everyone to sit down for the character generation, then after 3 hours of crafting them, run a quick intro session where you kill them all off painfullfy and humiliatingly one by one. Be descriptive. Once they are all dead end the session.

Youve now demonstrated you are the DM and therefore in charge and just need to tell them to bring a new character next session with some back ups.

Dominance established.
>>
>>48016530
>>48019871

Thank you both so much lol. Both of you guys have actually helped me a lot in terms of formulating the kind of campaign I should run at first
>>
>>48020602
Uh..Your really gonna follow THIS guys.>>48019871 advice?

I worry for your players Anon, both for their physical and mental health.
>>
improvisation is key, learn to be able to make entire sessions without preparation, a good DM always has a trick up his sleeve when players take initiative and want to do their own thing.
for example:
for that day you thought that they were going to clean up a dungeon, get rid of goblins, get loot, but the players want to organize a heist, unless you want to be called a railroading faggot you better think fast, you either prepare a heist or you remember them exactly why those goblins need to be eliminated.
improvisation is key
>>
>>48015965
It doesn't really matter if you know the rules by heart as long as you and your mates have fun you can come up with rules that you use for the night if it seems logical. write it down on a sticky and search it for the next session if it has potential to be a rule that comes up often. My players have no problem with that especially for guys who have nearly no experience in the system. Otherwise follow the neckbeard strategy.
>>
>>48015965
Eh. The average DM doesn't know the rules and thinks he shouldn't have to.
>>
>>48022534
That's what happens when you "streamline" D&D for normies
>>
>>48015965
Play 5th ed. It'll take you less than an hour to have enough grasp of the rules to have fun, and hand-waving things is an intention of the system. Much less likely to encounter gamebreaking builds like in 3.5 as well.
>>
>>48015965
Don't infect new people with 3.PF. Please, dear god I'm begging you.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.