[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ability scores
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: d20.jpg (213 KB, 1680x1028) Image search: [Google]
d20.jpg
213 KB, 1680x1028
>Point buy is terrible, it feels cheap and actively encourages minmaxing and powerplaying

>Random scores is terrible, it tends to be wildly unbalanced

Please tell me I'm not the only GM that comes up with systems that generate scores randomly but keeping their sum fixed.
>>
explain
>>
File: 1445366511727.png (43 KB, 163x170) Image search: [Google]
1445366511727.png
43 KB, 163x170
>>48006671
>Point buy is terrible, it feels cheap and actively encourages minmaxing and powerplaying

Not unless your system/adventure blows dicks. Proper point buy should scale up costs the more someone invests in a single stat, so that you trade a lot off to max out one thing. And a good system/module overall should reward people for having multiple strengths to their character and hold some things out of reach of characters who sacrifice a lot to excel in one thing.

In short, point buy is fine, just don't play Pathfinder.
>>
>>48006692
Well, the last I used was for a system with four abilities where the absolute minimum score in any ability for a human would be 7, 10 would be an average, 15 being pretty high and the limit for a normal human being and 20 the absolute limit for a superhuman (like the PC themselves).
I made each player roll 13d4 and sort dice by their results: the number of dice that gave 1 was the first score, the 2's would be the second score and so on. They'd add 7 to each score and then assign them as they wished.

Scores are generated randomly and yet their sum is always the same.
>>
>>48006753
You missed my point. I'm not saying it's unbalanced, I'm saying it encourages you to dump stats in favour of other stats to make the most optimized character, thus encouraging to minmax character.
>>
>>48006791
How is putting low stats in things not important to your concept and putting high stats in things important to your concept minmaxing, or is random numbers but controlled placement minmaxing as well?
>>
>>48006828
Most GMs fume when they see that your character is good at something. Who knows, you might even use your minmaxed talents to go off the rails. They can't take that risk.
>>
>>48006828
One thing is generating some random scores and choosing where to put the high ones and where the low ones according to what you want to do with your character, and another is to be able to choose exactly how many point to put in each and how dumb you're willing to be to have that extra point in strength.
>>
>>48006828
This. How is me putting my randomly generated highest stat into my most important stat any different from putting my point buy highest stat there?

Of course, OP may consider rolling down the line with no rearrangements, which could actually lead to some interesting character building experiences... but stops you from playing the character you want.
>>
>>48006671

Yeah, every GM deals with it. Grow some balls and kick the blatant min-maxers out of your group. Paizo says Kitsune are a playable race, but I'm sure as hell not letting any anime bullshit infect my games when That Guy shows up wanting to enjoy.
>>
>>48006926
OP here, I don't need another pair and I'll be fucked if I'm ever going to run pathfinder. I do this >>48006780 .
Since it seems pretty obvious to me that point buy and random scores are both flawed, I was wondering if other people that share this view use alternative methods as well.

>>48006848
You must have know many terrible GMs and players to believe such retarded antagonism to be the norm.
Or it might all be just in your mind.

>>48006886
See >>48006865
>>
>>48007003
Shit like this is only necessary if you are playing a shitty system, are a shitty DM or both.
Point Buy is fine in any non-garbage game.
>>
>>48007201
You have no point and make no sense. If you want to contribute with an opinion, try to at least explain yourself. If you're here to just shit and sperg over threads, well, have fun.
>>
File: 1423881696788.gif (950 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1423881696788.gif
950 KB, 294x233
>>48006865
>and another is to be able to choose exactly how many point to put in each and how dumb you're willing to be to have that extra point in strength.
I don't understand how this is a problem. So long as the resulting array of points is balanced, what's the problem with a player deciding how specialized/generalized he wants his stats?
>>
>>48006865
Indeed, random rolling can make your character even more minmaxed, since you can roll above and below the starting limits easily.
>>
Is there anything wrong with using the pregenerated stats for lvl 1 NPC's or the pregenerated stats in the Players Handbook?
>>
File: received_10208455152668708.jpg (12 KB, 720x316) Image search: [Google]
received_10208455152668708.jpg
12 KB, 720x316
>>48006780
>>
File: 1442431904760.jpg (15 KB, 252x289) Image search: [Google]
1442431904760.jpg
15 KB, 252x289
>>48006671
>mfw I like both
>>
>>48009479
>I don't understand the math
>Must be autistic witchcraft
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.