[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>geeky friends be playing D&D 5e >one dude invites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: fire.jpg (32 KB, 675x526) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
32 KB, 675x526
>geeky friends be playing D&D 5e
>one dude invites me to observe a session
>actually pretty fun
>decides to research mechanics before joining
>holy fuck it's beautiful

So now I'm going to make a pyromaniac ranger. Any idea how that could work?
>>
>>47987119
Really badly.
>>
>>47987130
>>
>>47987119
>i'm going to play a pyromaniac ranger
>i'm going to play an atheist paladin
>i'm going to play an amputee fighter
>i'm going to play a mute bard with no fingers
>i'm going to play a brain-dead psion
>i'm going to play a wizard with retrograde amnesia
>i'm going to play a pacifist gunslinger
>i'm going to play a quadrapalegic monk
What i'm saying is your character is stupid.
>>
>>47987130
Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it.
:/
I mean, I was just asking in theory.
>>
>>47984143
They'll probably help you figure it out, you could always multiclass to a sorcerer.
>>
>>47987200
Ooh, nice dubs.
But thanks, I'll head on over there. Probably give up on the ranger aspect.
>>
>>47987222
Yeah, could just be a sorcerer with a bow lol and no problem
>>
Why does everyone think a pyromaniac ranger is a horrible idea? Why not have burned ground as favored terrain? Experience from hunting on ashfields near volcanoes, etc.
Truth be told, I don't remember how ranger works in 5e and I'm basing this all on Pathfinder
>>
>>47987277
>>47987222
damn
all checked
But hey, great suggestions. Maybe I'll keep digging a bit for now.
>>
File: hqdefault[3].jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[3].jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>47987119
>Play a ranger
>Light shit on fire
BURN 'EM ALL!!!
>>
File: ididnothingwrong.png (186 KB, 370x430) Image search: [Google]
ididnothingwrong.png
186 KB, 370x430
>>47987119
If you're actually looking for constructive criticism, making that kind of edgy character is a bad idea for your first time. One of the biggest issues new players run into is creating someone that doesn't work well as a team. Regardless of what you may or may not enjoy in roleplaying games, every mechanic in D&D is party-based: pretty much all combat, adventuring and travel will be done with those at the table. If your character can't play nice they'll do nothing but bog down the party and starve the attention and everyone will loathe you for it. Granted any character can fit a party with some clever and charming roleplay, and/or you decide to be a (somehow cohesive) evil party that runs from town to town causing mayhem sure it can work, but in any other case creating a genuine psychopath will not get you far.

If you really can't help your urges just play some sort of fire-mage and revel in some socially acceptable face meltery instead.
>>
>>47987119
Make them a desert ranger who worships the sun
>>
>>47987181
>i'm going to play a pyromaniac ranger
As described above, I'm continuing this trend
>i'm going to play an atheist paladin
Fights to uphold a philosophy
>i'm going to play an amputee fighter
Prosthetic legs and weapons on the arm stumps
>i'm going to play a mute bard with no fingers
Built in instruments (warforged that plays musical notes, custom race that passes wind through hollow bones to create a pitch)
>i'm going to play a brain-dead psion
Subconscious acting wordlessly instead of the conscious
>i'm going to play a wizard with retrograde amnesia
Tattooes/ marks their skin with arcane knowledge
>i'm going to play a pacifist gunslinger
Vash the stampede/Atticus Finch
>i'm going to play a quadrapalegic monk
Controls limbs through telekinesis like that one time in bleach.
>>
Generally a character whose only personality trait is an antics oriented psychosis or disability is going to be a bad choice. The antics, while they may seem xD kek hilarious right now, will quickly grow stale, and then you're stuck with a character that people are tired of and you don't want to roleplay as anymore.
>>
>>47989162
Vash the stampede is one of the best gunslingers of all time.. imo
>>
>>47987181
one of my players is playing a gay, amputee fighter. his character is stupid but at least he's making the most of it
>>
>>47989162
>Atticus Finch
Damn, nice take.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.