[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future MTG Set Speculation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: aerlink.png (16 KB, 126x100) Image search: [Google]
aerlink.png
16 KB, 126x100
This is just a guess, and a long shot at that, but... something sort of bothered me the other day when I was looking at past, present, and future sets of magic. Recently the Eldrazi have taken the role as the major antagonist in the storyline and have made a fairly large impact overall. Now since WotC has decided to make blocks only 2 sets a piece, it seems like they are cramming a lot of story into a single block. Again, this is just speculation, but what if they decide to stop the whole 'jumping around from the viewpoint of planeswalker to planeswalker', and start to stick with a steady perspective of a group of characters, i.e. Jace, Gideon, Chandra, Nissa, and Ugin? If for some reason this might be true, wouldn't that also mean that the Eldrazi could possibly linger into another block, or even two? Perhaps even future blocks, if left unresolved? I was looking at this set symbol for Aether Revolt, which is the second set in the upcoming Kaledesh block. To you all, does this symbol seem at all reminiscent of an Eldrazi? From an aesthetic standpoint, what is the one thing the Eldraz titansi all have in common? Tentacles. And the first thing I saw when looking at this symbol were tentacles. I also see how this could be a flower or... something, but I guess it just caught me off guard. What do you all think? Will we be seeing Eldrazi in near future sets, or am I just a crazy person?
>>
>>47971336
Also, share what kinds of cards, characters, and major plot points that you think will be in the next block.
>>
the new sets will have reprints of the basic lands
and get this
DIFFERENT ART
so save up some money if you wanna get on that before the price goes down
trust me im the president and ceo of wotc
>>
>>47971336
>but what if they start to stick with a steady perspective of a group of characters, i.e. Jace, Gideon, Chandra, Nissa?
This is already happening. Expect at lest 1/2 blocks to follow at least one member of the Gatewatch. Most old characters will start interacting more and more with them too.

That doesn't mean we'll follow the Gatewatch all the time like we followed the Weatherlight. But they'll be the main protagonists of the narrative from this point onwards.

Could the Eldrazi linger into another block, or even two? Perhaps even future blocks, if left unresolved?
Emrakul dies / is neutralized this block. But we might yet witness another Rise of the Eldrazi in the far future. Absolutely not in the next two blocks though.

Finally, that set symbol does not look Eldrazi in the least. It's clearly emulating both a lotus-like flower and a flame because Pyromancy is going to be a key plot point in the Kaladesh block.

>>47971358
Chandra is pretty much confirmed as the protagonist of Kaladesh. Other people that might show up:
>Gideon
>Tezzeret
>Jaya Ballard
>>
>>47973380
What the fuck has Tezz even been doing since running away after the Phyrexians wanted to make him the new father of machines?
>>
>>47973380
>Jaya Ballard
You mean the character who's been dead for several hundred years?
>>
>>47971336
Who gives a shit about the story of a CCG?
They almost certainly think up the story AFTER they come up with the mechanics of each new block.
>>
>>47972792
Let's be real, though. Who else misses the era of multiple different arts for a single card in the same set. It was cool shit back in homelands.
>>
>>47973380
I think we could end up with a planeswalker that is grabbed by Emrakul's dying essence and warps into a bizarre BBEG planeswalking Carmen Sandiego for the foreseeable future.
>>
All I want from the future:

>go back to Tarkir and fix it, with Chandra as the only Gatewatch member there
>Bolas actually getting off his ass and being a villain again
>Elspeth having to work with Xenagos to bust out of the underworld
>Ashiok showing up again
>more new planes
>a block that starts on New Phyrexia and transitions into them invading another plane, with a Koth reprint
>LET AJANI BE THE CENTRAL CHARACTER OF A BLOCK
>>
>>47973380
I could see Tezz showing up and maybe Garruk since he would be a good contrast and Gidion and Chandra are pretty much a pair now and his background matches well with the plane and would provide some decent internal conflict for both characters.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 312x445
>>47974105
Exactly, they've got to get back to him at some point and what better way than in artifact-based plane?, WOTC likes putting in walkers that work well with the plane's mechanics.

>>47974569
And there's no way WOTC plans to bring her back, ever. Specially not in a block protagonized by Chandra in her homeplane.

>>47974703
I don't think so. The Eldrazi have already chosen their successors, Kalitas and Tazri.
>>
>>47975605
I don't see the Garruk thing, but the rest is basically what I thought.
>>
File: 84299417_2_1000x700.jpg (58 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
84299417_2_1000x700.jpg
58 KB, 525x700
>>47974644
From a game design perspective, it's problematic for streamlined gameplay in terms of prompt card identification.

From a collecter's or theme builder's perspective, it's amazing to have 4 versions of some cards, especially if you hate the other art and love the card.
>>
>>47974592
They do it concurrently, actually.
>>
>>47975756
He's a crazy murderhobo Forrest hermit. You take him out of the woods and his element and drop him in a city with artifacts and gadgets.
You plop a force of nature in a civilized world and watch him raise hell because they can't figure out how to deal with them and he can't figure out the world he's in, but doesn't care because there are sparks to harvest.

So rather than say, beating you over the head with a log, he just crams the 3 dozen thopters floating around you down your throat.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.