[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retconning games thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1465943177821.jpg (32 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1465943177821.jpg
32 KB, 500x332
'Sup /tg/. I was wondering if any of you had a character you got very fond of, in a game with a shitty GM that left them with a shitty ending. I'll share my story. I'm not a native speaker so I might make some mistakes.

It was quite some years ago, I was 15 or 16 (I'm 21 now), and we were playing D&D 3.5 with an high level campaign. Since we had a lot of handbooks available, and I wanted to try something more "cool" than optimized, I rolled an Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion Incubus. Not a third party race or anything, I used Savage Species and made him with racial levels. Which left him pretty unoptimized, except for his absurd stats (28 CHA without magic items isn't bad, I guess)
This story involves, in a way, a "redeemed" incubus, so hold on your undies, /tg/, and don't lynch me, if you can. He was Chaotic Evil, first of all. A little more Chaotic than Evil. He was high-leveled, and got bored of his eternal life of literally fucking around. So he steals from an house where he was "making Cambions" and finds a book about heroes and adventurers. After reading it, he finds it "cool" and decides to travel to the Material Plane to roleplay as an hero for fun.
Now. This master was VERY shitty, and wanted to ruin characters from the beginning. First thing that happened to my character? A fucking demigod forces him to marry his daughter after he flirts with her. He was level 30 or something, I don't want to remember. So my character is stuck with an unwanted wife that he had to carry around with a constant Interdiction to Death casted on. You know, energy drain.
He got pretty fond of his wifey, anyway, (because an hero is supposed to have a tragic and cool love story) and spent a lot of his gold to buy a magical item that let him on/off his energy drain.
So. One of my best friends made a Human Fighter/Kensai with a magical halberd. Lawful Neutral, fairly cool, and acted as the straight man. Since he had that "cool" aura, my pc got interested in him as a "fellow hero".

CONT
>>
>>47961080

>Didn't even prewrite or greentext summarize his shitty 3.5 story

Don't bother finishing. Here's the advice though: your DM sounds terrible and there's no reconning that.
>>
>>47961080 (OP)

So. Since the kensai had no issues with my pc, they actually became friends and had a pretty tight bond. The kensai acted as the straight man, while my character was, in a way, the comic relief, trying so hard to "be an hero" and badly failing.
We traveled around fucking around with some Far Realm involved aberrations, and eventually "space traveling" because the GM recently discovered Asimov and didn't understand the concept of "plane". I told him to try and adapt Spelljammer, but he didn't listen.
Eventually we ended up fighting some demon lord which slayed mr. father-in-law/demigod and eventually my pc's wife. Then, when my character calmly casted "Trap the Soul" to get her back and eventually reincarnate her, he didn't say something like "the demon ate it" or "it was torn and destroyed". No. It melted in plasma. I shit not, he said that. And there I said, dumbfounded, "what plasma?".
"If you rolled Spot, you would have seen that the pool on your right is full of plasma."
We gazed upon him with a thousand years of confusion in our eyes. A pool of plasma. A POOL. OF PLASMA. WHICH MELTS SOULS.

And that isn't even the end of it. After the demon, he wanted a futuristic ending in a spaceship with a fungus-like Elder God mocking us while we crashed in a planet for some reason. So, well, we died. Kensai excluded, since he wasn't in the spaceship. So, there I said "well, I guess my character's soul will get back in the Abyss". But no. Because the place we got was so far in space that "the soul would need a thousand years to get back to the Abyss". And there the campaign ended. But I wasn't satisfied.

[CONT]

>>47961290
Sorry, I got back home recently and thought of this story that I wanted to share. Didn't think much about the how. You're kinda right, but I want to end it, even though nobody will read it. Also I kinda dislike greentext.
>>
>>47961411

Since I wasn't happy with that ending, I talked about it with my friends, and since it was profoundly dumb and I got fond of my stupid special OC, we decided that in the end he got back from the Abyss, paid for the resurrection of the others, and ended up becoming the Kensai's family's guardian, training his descendants in the years. Nothing special, really, but I wanted a better ending for them. I also was sixteen and very prone to angst, like every sixteen years old. And that's the end of my shitty 3.5 story.
>>
>>47961411

Well I still read the end of your story anyway lol. Sounds like a mix of good ol 3.5 fuckery (u should have rolled soot hurr) and GM fuckery. If you like your character I'd reccomend trying a simple system and either DMing yourself and using your character as an NPC or getting someone else to DM. DnD Basic is good for first time GMs
>>
>>47961551

Don't worry man, and thank you. Already did. It was one of my first games, to be honest. I tried more systems and GM'd a lot. Probably I'm the one who played as the GM the most, in my group. I used him as an NPC cameo in a late 5.0 game as a heavily modified Eldritch Knight. Kensai friend was pretty happy to see him again.
>>
>>47961080
>Role playing as "a Hero"
>Fail

Good Story OP, Im amused. Do you have any stories of your character just trying to do the right thing, but missing the point of what it means to be a hero in the first place?
>>
>>47961791

I desire more stories of this Incubus, as well.
>>
>>47961791

Well, yes. One time he was transported in a sub-plane of the Feywild dedicated to plants. All sorts of plant-like creature like treants and dryads was there. A community of said dryads were dying of a particular epidemy which made their bodies rot, and risked to infect the other denizens of the plane. Heroically moved, Geryon (the incubus) asked the party alchemist how to cure them. The GM said that there were two possible ingredients for the antidote, a particular and rare plant, or... human hearts. Since he thought that killing plants would have offended the dryads, he plane shifted back, slughtered a bandit camp nearby that position and brought back their hearts with an heroic smile.
Luckily it was a Neutral party so they just weeped at him.
>>
>>47962121

Hurray for moral ambiguity.
>>
>>47962121
Glorious. I like to imagine the GM looking up from his little board and saying slowy ".....or human hearts" like he was trying to bait you to just slay someone in cold blood.
>>
File: 1465869139372.png (17 KB, 344x135) Image search: [Google]
1465869139372.png
17 KB, 344x135
>>47962868

That was pretty much what happened. But he chose the ""heroic"" way and decided to "righteously slain" somebody who was oppressing the innocent, so that act was automatically good, no?

The funny thing is that, thinking about him now, I realize that 3.5 rules could actually categorize him as Good. You know, he was just ripping hearts from the chest of some bandits, they were evil, so they totally deserved it!

Another funny story is a classic moral problem posed in front of a demon with a penchant for roleplaying. A street urchin kid stealing food and getting caught by the guards. He was absolutely disgusted by how "un-heroic" that act was and Dominate Person'd them convincing that the "heroic way" of solving the situation was to arrest the shopkeeper for "villainy". The city hall was very, very wild that day.
>>
File: basedfarage.jpg (10 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
basedfarage.jpg
10 KB, 276x182
>>47963184
Bwhahaha arrests the shopkeeper. Not bad Op, not bad.
>>
>>47963184

lol
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.