[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern Gener
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: Snapcaster Mage.xlhq.jpg (763 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Snapcaster Mage.xlhq.jpg
763 KB, 745x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing/tweaking?
>Your local Meta?
>Next MTG Purchase?
>Do you like the current Meta?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.
>>
>>48016276
Please remove illiterate gang banger snap caster.
>>
File: The Modern Metagame.jpg (533 KB, 1230x1558) Image search: [Google]
The Modern Metagame.jpg
533 KB, 1230x1558
The overall and Paper Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primer link:
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
>>
>>48016276
>Playing?
Sciesmic Swan Control, because I don't like winning.

>Tweaking?
SSC, because I want to start winning.

>Your local meta?
I go to three different stores with my roving gang of thugs, one meta is shit decks, one is meme decks, and one is actually kind of competitive.

>Next MTG Purchase?
Flip Jace, because he's cheap right now.

>Do you like the currrent meta?
No. Everyone is an elitist faggot who plays a "Control deck"
I'm starting to consider quitting and selling my entire collection so I can focus on college.
>>
Hi all I'm getting back into magic after a 6 or so year hiatus. I can only play MTGO due to time constraints and currently have no collection. What are fairly cheap decks (<$250 or so) that are fairly competitive for leagues? It looks like U Tron is pretty affordable but a lot of those deck names are pretty foreign to me. I like playing anything except straight aggro and don't care if the deck is tier 1, just that I can play competitively.

Also, this might not be directly on topic, but is there an economic way to spend money/time of MTGO? I know that obviously it's all a waste unless I'm turning in sets, but for instance I know that 4-3-2-2 drafts are much worse over time than 8-4. Is there a similar concept with constructed online?
>>
>>48016573
U tron is fine if you know your meta, and can pace yourself.

>>48016276

>>Playing?
Lol U trom
>>Brewing/tweaking?
BUG villainous wealth tron
>>Your local Meta?
Overly competitive assclowns
>>Next MTG Purchase?
1000 basic islands, no joke
>>Do you like the current Meta?
It could be better, but there are no autistdrazi so I'm fine with it.
>>
>>48016926
>1000 basic islands
Why?
Like, this is a legit question, I'm not being an autist.
>>
>>48016926
>It could be better, but there are no autistdrazi so I'm fine with it.

Can you please take them back, they're shitting up the older formats now.
>>
>>48016992
It's crazy how the Eldrazi are becoming a force in Legacy and Vintage.
>>
>>48016972
They're full art foils, the store owner gave me a good deal for bulk, expendable income, but mainly why the hell not?

>>48016992
As the only other formats I play are pauper and EDH, no.
This is my "competitive" format, and I don't need alien booger-monsters in it.
>>
>>48016992
>ELDRAZI GET OUT REEEEEEEEE

r u mad that your precious meta is changing or something?
>>
>>48017060
I expected Legacy, I did not expect Vintage. Apparently tossing some fucking Eldrazi and Sol Lands in your Shops deck works way better than expected. Although I guess it remains to be seen if UW Drazi, Shops Drazi, Tribal Drazi, or W Drazi is the best shell for them.

>>48017443
>A cheap (read: popular) deck that uses Sphere/Chalice/Thorn
It's not even the fucking Eldrazi that piss me off, it's that I have to deal with this shit ten times more often than before.
>>
Alright, new format:
It's like a reverse pauper, it's only cards printed at rare or mythic.
We'll call it Modern Jund -lightning bolt
>>
>>48017683
>it's not the eldrazi in my format that piss me off
>it's the eldrazi changing the meta after ~10, because they are in my format
Wut?
>>
>>48017713
Nigerian, you wot?
>>
What do you guys think about the bant eldrazi list? Ive been trying it out on cockatrice and I saw a guy at my lgs just destroy with it.

Lands
4 x Eldrazi Temple
4 x Windswept Heath
1 x Misty Rainforest
4 x Brushland
2 x Yavimaya Coast
2 x Temple Garden
1 x Breeding Pool
4 x Cavern of Souls
1 x Forest
1 x Plains
Creatures
4 x Drowner of Hope
4 x Eldrazi Displacer
4 x Noble Hierarch
4 x Reality Smasher
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
4 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
3 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 x Birds of Paradise

Spells
4 x Path to Exile
4 x Ancient Stirrings
>>
So I'm pondering getting into modern, when I looked at the state of standard and realized that I don't really like it that much, and really preferred some of the decks I played in older standards; specifically, back during Rise of the Eldrazi, I piloted a polymorph deck and had a lot of fun with it.

I'm brewing up a Modern version of it, using Polymorph and Through the Breach to cheat out big eldrazi lords; but I know basically nothing about modern other than the sets in it and the ban list, is a GUR control/combo deck going to be competitive in a broad setting? I have some friends that play Modern a bit, and would like to have a decent idea of waht I'm getting into before I show them what I've got.
>>
>>48017713
I like it, question is what do we replace Bolt with?
>>
File: hero.png (191 KB, 241x346) Image search: [Google]
hero.png
191 KB, 241x346
Does anyone know if pic related can reduce the cost of auras to zero for things like ethereal armor?
>>
Whats the least played colour

Whats the most player colour

Whats the best colour for a beginner
>>
>>48018396

Ethereal armor costs one W. Not a generic. It reduces all generic costs (those with numbers) not colored mana.
>>
>>48018027
>Drowner of Hope
What the fuck is a intro pack rare doing in there. You don't have 8 sol lands
>>
>>48018413
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.
>>
>>48018396
Read the card.
>>
>>48018474
Yeah I'm relatively new to mtg and just wasn't sure if it could reduce colored mana or not like this guy addressed >>48018413
googled the shit out of it and found nothing
>>
>>48018447
Look up the lists bro they speak for themselves
>>
>>48018485
Pro tip: Magic cards are read and interpreted as written.
>>
would you say that grave titan is almost strictly better than this?
>>
>>48018027
Why even go into U. It's giving you what, a skyspawner and DoH? Doesn't seem great. I'd just throw in some more Hatebear creatures instead.
>>
File: 1466831828784.jpg (65 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
1466831828784.jpg
65 KB, 500x652
At what age did you start mtg?
>>
>>48018502
Well that's what I was curious about. Usually when I'm not sure how a card is supposed to be resolved between two interpretations I think of how it would have to be worded to achieve each condition.

In the case of the card we're talking about, the first interpretation is obvious: "it reduced the cost of one generic mana" makes sense given what the card says.

But lets say it's really trying to say that any enchantment's cost, regardless of color, is reduced by one. I'm not sure how the card would have to be worded to achieve that effect, and to my knowledge I've never seen a card that implies that effect. So because I haven't seen a card that could set precedence for the type of wording that would be needed for the second kind interpretation I asked.
>>
>>48018587

No

It's better but it's not strictly better, cuz there's a scenario in which you can make 5 zombies faster than grave Titan can make 5 zombies

But really I don't think any deck would play it over grave Titan in any format
>>
>>48016276
Is this the new Overwatch character? Mortal Kombat koncept? 90's bmovie sci-fi pit fighter?
>>
File: torporb.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
torporb.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
Is there anything that can prevent the eldrazi "when cast"-type effects on the stack? I only play combodecks that can self-destruct and I am very worried about the new Emrakul.
>>
>>48018587
Yes Grave Titan is strictly better
>>
>>48018670
fair enough. i really hope we see some better zombie cards in this set. i want to make a modern zombie tribal work so badly. this seems pretty decent to me
>>
>>48018405
>white
>blue
>red
>>
>>48018663

There is no card that reduces the mana cost "regardless of color", check out the card edgewalker for something that reduces the colored cost of a spell (but not generic)
>>
>>48018711
Zombie tribal just cant work
If Goblins which has way more synergy and powerful cards is barely a deck then zombies most certainly cant
>>
>>48018711

are you limiting yourself to eldritch moon and shadows over innistrad?

Why would be disappointed that they came out with a worse grave Titan when you can play grave Titan?
>>
>>48018685
First ask yourself, who is actually going to be running new Emrakul.... no seriously, Is the new emmy something people can assemble easily. a 13/13 mindslaver for 6 sound alright
>>
Speaking of Goblins can we please get a Warchief Reprint?
>>
>>48018663
Play the game long enough and you will learn the language of Magic. It has a specific grammar and dictionary. Your ignorance is simply a case of not being fluent in the language. Most incorrect interpretations are assumptions made without regard to the language you are reading. It is not english. It is a language using the modern english alphabet.
>>
>>48018685

No there is no hate card yet created that will stop all "when you cast" triggers

If you want to hate on Emmy you can use leyline of sanctity, or similar cards like aegis of the gods or sigarda heron's grace
>>
>>48018745
that's why i'm hoping we get some new cards which might help turn the tables

>>48018757
>are you limiting yourself to eldritch moon and shadows over innistrad?
i'm not. i would definitely still use grave titan over noosegraf. i'm more just disappointed that noosegraf isn't a better card
>>
>>48018732
Right I totally agree but because there's no card that does that, I wasn't sure if the wording was just intended to be all encompassing in case you wanted to use him in a multi colored deck.
>>
>>48018813
Yep, just learning it slowly and surely, but sometimes google just can't help with very specific questions about very specific cards.
>>
>>48018815

Good idea to make myself hexprood instead actually. Too bad I don't have access to W. I might give trickbind a try if Emmy turns out to steal games from me.
>>
File: Tree-of-Perdition.jpg (43 KB, 350x491) Image search: [Google]
Tree-of-Perdition.jpg
43 KB, 350x491
>this plus triskaidekaphobia
do i win tg?
>>
>>48016290
Usain Bolt will your face.
>>48018685
Trickbind.
>>
File: SpellSnipITA.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
SpellSnipITA.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>48018863
The place for questions like that are the "Ask a Judge" threads. Keep an eye out for "galvanicAutogenitor". Pic related.
>>
>>48018918
Back to the spoiler thread.
>>
File: ryan-gosling-ssz102114-1.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ryan-gosling-ssz102114-1.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>48018731
Whats wrong with white
>>
>>48018948
sorry i ctrl F'ed eldritch moon in the catalogue and didn't see anything. guess i should've searched tentacle butt
>>
>>48018991
nothing it's just out of all monocolored decks i would say it is the least used. It's a really hard question considering different colors see different levels of play in each format and very few decks only run one color
>>
>>48019083
Ehhh, I think it can also be argued that White has the lowest amount of busted cards. Like what's the absolute strongest card White has? Mentor and Stoneforge? Arguably Swords?

White is also clinically unflashy. It and Green are the most beatstick colors, but Green has shit like Hypergenesis and Elves to give it flashiness. There isn't really anything like that for White.

On the other hand; Red is arguably an even shittier color. It get's bad versions of Black spells, Burn, Goblins, and 3/1 creatures.
>>
>>48018995
Or MTG. Or Spoiler.
>>48018259
>>
>>48019179

White has balance, that's the most busted white card I can think of

I agree with you tho
>>
>>48019492
I knew I forgot something. Yeah, Balance is definitely the most busted White card.
>>
File: banlist.png (695 KB, 668x620) Image search: [Google]
banlist.png
695 KB, 668x620
Is it general consensus that the banlist makes no sense?

I don't get how the cards in pic are any better than stuff like Serum Visions. I mean, I guess they want to block tutoring for combos. Also, what's the deal with those colored artifact lands?
>>
>>48019615
Picture this: You build a deck around cards with Affinity.
Your mana base is now entirely Moxen.
>>
>>48019615
>Colored Artifact Lands
They make Affinity fucking bonkers. Giving what is essentially Sol Lands to a deck that is as explosive as Affinity kills the Magic.

>Preordain
Draw the best/most relevant card from your top 2, option to bottom the other. If neither card is relevant you can opt to draw a random card.

>Ponder
Draw the best out of your top 3 cards. Shuffle the other 2 away with a fetch, or set yourself up for several relevant draws. Option to draw a random card instead.

>Treasure Cruise
Is a 1 mana Draw 3 in dedicated decks. It's an Ancestral Recall that you can't play on turn 1. That is really insane value, really really insane.

>Glimpse of Nature
Elves get's to draw it's entire deck for 1-mana.

>Dig through Time
By far the most busted card out of these 5. You get to draw the 2 best cards from your top 7, you don't discard the rest so you can easily shuffle them back in with a Fetch (although discarding them would probably be better), and you do this for 2-mana. Dig is scarily busted and I'm honestly still amazed they printed it.

Now in comparison;
>Serum Visions
Draw a random card, than look at the top 2 and decide if you want to draw 1 of them the next turn. SV is so far below the strength of Preordain and Ponder it's not even a comparison.
>>
>>48019730
Apparently, according to the results of no ban list tournaments, Treasure Cruise is the single most broken card on the banned list. U/R delver/Jeskai Mentor lists just crush everything when they have access to 4 ancestral recalls and 4 missteps. Last time I looked into it the meta was like Cruise delver, Affinity, and Storm with some hypergenesis and shoal infect mixed in.
>>
>>48019999
I'm assuming you mean Modern No Ban List?
Yeah within the confines of Modern, Treasure Cruise is the more powerful card as the card selection of Dig loses it's appeal when your deck doesn't look like a bunch of 1-of Restricted cards. When you do have them however, Dig becomes better.

I can definitely see why Delver would be so insane. Any Tempo-based deck that get's to run 1-mana draw 3s and 0 mana Counterspells in a format where Combo can't go off t1 is going to be... pretty damn good.
>>
>>48019615

>colored artifact lands

I started MTG during the ONS/MIR standard. Lemme tell you some shit. SOME FUCKING SHIT.

Alright, you got these dudes, Atog. They eat artifacts. You got another dude named Disciple of Vault. They are bff. Then you replace Atog with a guy named Arcbound Ravager, who's cooler than Atog. Every card in your deck except stuff that gets cheaper via Affinity and Disciple are artifacts. Speaking of Affinity, the artifact lands are fucking sol lands. Okay, so you got the base of the aggro deck. Shit's cool. Oh wait, there's a mega nigger card named Skullclamp, and you're able to just draw 2 cards for killing your shit that was already feeding your ravager. With Disciple of the Cunt in play, your aggro deck doesn't need to attack. Your opponent can't actually counter SHIT because Disciple of the Cunt will just say "your oxidize means nothing" and you can't kill shit because hurr durr modular.

You do not want colored artifact lands in a format that doesn't have hard ass checks to Ravager. Trust me on this. TRUST ME.
>>
I don't play a whole lot, and a normally stick to burn, but I have Emeria Titan built, so I may as well ask; opinions on the Titan/Blasting station/Fiend hunter combo for inevitability against infinte life decks among other things. Seems like having that kind of inevitability is solid for a deck that generally has weak control matchups.
>>
>>48018027
Bant Eldrazi is the real deal. Personally not a fan of Thalia in that deck, I much prefer the 2 Spellskite and 1 Skyspawner to help some of the aggro matchups.

But seriously, don't take advice from here. People haven't caught on yet, which is a good thing for us.

Keep playing the deck and see what you like best.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 768x432
>Playing?
Ad Nauseam. Started with Infect, got stressed out and started playing Burn. Loved the ease of Burn, but hated the susceptibility to bad draws and trump cards. Built Ad Nauseam after I scrubbed out at the Dallas Open last weekend.
>Brewing/tweaking?
Currently nothing. I'm in love with this deck.
>Your local Meta?
Lots of Tron, Nahiri, and Burn. Mostly Tron. We have a few that bounce around to Land Destruction. Some have played Scapeshift here and there. We also have a few dedicated Jund players.
>Next MTG Purchase?
2 Leylines of Sanctity. Had to borrow them yesterday. Feel bad for using them because they're pretty dickish, but people are free to board in enchantment hate if they know what's up.
>Do you like the current Meta?
I'm a Standard player. I've mastered Standard. On a good day I'm confident I could win it big there. I'm saving my Invitational for the right time (got an IQ win back in February). I'm new to Modern and at first I was apprehensive— people kept telling me how crazy Infect was, but I get stressed playing it. One misstep and you're done, and trust me, my combat sequencing is on point. Now that I'm playing other decks I love it.
>>
>>48020316
Also, you really want 4 Matter Reshapers instead of 4 Eldrazi Skyspawners. Great value card for the earlygame.
>>
>>48018333

If I was you i'd look into the Tooth and Nail decks. It's similar to what you want to do but in slightly different colours.
>>
>>48020398
He could also play G/U/R Scapeshift.
>>
>>48018685

All those "when cast" effects are all triggered abilities. If you have anything that can blank or counter a triggered ability it will work. (e.g Trickbind)
>>
>>48020437

Titanshift version?
>>
>>48020456
Breach/prime time
>>
>>48020490
GR Breach w/Emrakul, singleton scapeshift
>>
>>48020327
what do i name with needle/phyrexian revoker to impede you as much as possible?
>>
>>48019615
Glimpse is stupid broken, broken enough to have Elves splash blue for a similar effect
>>
>>48020608
You can Needle on Lightning Storm, but most lists run the Lab Maniac win as well, in which case there's nothing you can really hit with Needle, and often lists run Slaughter Pact, so Revoker is pretty useless there.

The best way to deal with Ad Naus is a mix of Counterspell and Enchantment-hate.
>>
>>48019615
>>48020187
It's worth remembering that all six artifact lands, including Darksteel Citadel, were banned out of STANDARD. Which should tell you something about their power level.
>>
>>48020316
>>48020336
Thanks for the actual advice anon.
>>
>>48018619
DoH provides a solid late game, especially when paired with eldrazi displacer. But, yeah, there's not really any other reason to play blue.
>>
File: image:105375.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:105375.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
Modern legal Lackey reprint when?
>>
>>48016290
Its dunkcaster mage, the niggiest nog.
>>
File: image:105376.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:105376.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>48021567
4 Kird Ape
4 Tree Monkey
4 Hooting Mandrills
3 Simian Spirit Guide
2 Teferi Mage of Zhalfir
3 Snapcasters (GP promo)
4 Pongify
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Gitaxian Probe (to trigger delve)
4 Explosive Vegetation
3 Rift Bolt

3 Treetop Village
2 Stomping Ground
2 Breeding Pool
2 Steam Vents
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Forest

Im running him in my RUG monkeys deck
>>
For someone looking to return to Magic, what's the most cost effective way to get cards that aren't garbage/will be legal in formats for a while to come?

I looked at the "intro packs" and they seem trash and I've heard they're not worth it at all, should I just find a list I like and buy the individual cards or are duel decks/prerelease sets/boosters enough
>>
>>48021578
>flashy and flavorful
gods speed anon. Hope your monkies can make it happen and win games.
>>
>>48021586
The most cost effective way to buy cards is to pick a deck and buy the singles you need
First ask yourself what kind of deck you like to play
Do you want to play an aggro deck which are easiest to learn and play overall and focus on efficient creatures and spells aimed at bringing the game to a close before your opponent can stabilize?
A combo deck that focuses on strange interactions between cards and assembling the right hand to go off and end the game in one pivotal turn?
Or a control deck that grinds the game to a halt with counterspells and removal before playing a huge intimidating threat designed to end the game very quickly?
>>
>>48021608
testing it on xmage its actually ok. Of course its absurdly expensive in real life for a non competitive deck but the looks on peoples face when you slap down a Kird ape and hooting mandrills followed by Teferi is pretty priceless
>>
>>48018788
not unless elves gets a wirewood reprint
>>
>>48018991
White is for busted sideboard cards that aren't Bloodmoon
>>
>>48021672
But elves is already decent in modern where as Goblins is tier 3 at best
>>
>>48020608

Not the same guy but Pithing Needle is not as effective as Phyrexian Revoker here and what you want to name is either Pentad Prism or Lotus Bloom. Pithing Needle will not be able to stop these abilities since they're mana abilities but Phyrexian Revoker has no such clause.

The best way to deal with Ad Nauseam is artifact hate, Stony Silence is actually one of the strongest cards against Ad Nauseam because it will slow it down tremendously.
>>
>>48021693
Wirewood. Reprint. First.

Tribe rule #1: no tribe is allowed to even come close to elves

You can even have True-Name in Merfolk as long as you unban Glimpse first. Ugly peasant
>>
>>48021622
I've always preferred fast and aggressive decks, in the past I've played mono red burn and white/blue flier decks

Are there any cheap aggro archetypes at the moment? Doesn't need to be ultra competitive, just something I could maybe bring to FNM or play with friends and not get totally shitcanned
>>
>>48021720
>No tribe is allowed to even come close to Elves
But... Merfolk is better?
>>
>>48021723
If you want to win, spend a little more on burn

If you want to win a little less but have fun playing magic spend a little more on Elves

If you want to win 1 out of 5 games and spend absolutely nothing build Stompy
>>
>>48021729
LIES

NOT AFTER PEOPLE HAVE FIGURED OUT TO JUST JAM 4 SHAMAN

GET BACK INTO YOUR FILTHY PISS WATER FILTHY CARP MAN
>>
>>48020778

That's only half right, the best way to deal with Ad Nauseam is actually artifact hate and hand disruption. Counterspells do help to a point until a Boseiju is used.
>>
>>48021754
>Elves
>Having Lords
You aren't even a real tribe. You know what's a real tribe? Merfolk. Know why? Fucking 12 Lords nigger. 12. Lords. When's the last time an Elf was played in Vintage? Exactly.

Now go back to being used as the meek mana producing nut-huggers you are.
>>
>>48021783
12 lords won't stop Merfolk from getting completely slaughtered by Elves in modern. Who cars how many lords you have if you only have 3 on board by the time our two lords that matter are making 10 man and overrunning for 7
>>
>>48019083
White and red are probably the only two colors that can maybe scratch t1.5 playing monocolored. Maybe blue with eldrazi urzatron but that's almost two color
>>
>>48021801
white is literally the last color you can play monocolored in modern
>>
>>48021783

>When's the last time an Elf was played in Vintage?

Deathrite Shaman?
>>
>>48021817

Eh you can play Martyr-Proc in Modern and that's mono white. I know that it sees almost zero play despite having some showing in early Modern tourneys waaaaaaaaaay back baffles the fuck out of some people who have no idea how to play against it.
>>
>>48021578
dose are som scary lookin killa gorrila mang

How's the sideboard coming along?
>>
>>48021578
>explosive vegans
You better be running the ON print of that
>>
>>48016926
>Brewing BUG villainous wealth tron
Worried laughter.gif
There's no game I haven't won after resolving Villainous Wealth in commander, that's for sure.
>>
>>48017973
It's not because they are Eldrazi
it's because they are a cheap braindead agro deck that casts Chalice for 1 on turn 1, removing any chance of interacting with the deck.
>>
>>48022316
Especially with emrakul floating around, I can easily cast villainous wealth for up to 20.
>>
File: 1467195993417.png (611 KB, 634x436) Image search: [Google]
1467195993417.png
611 KB, 634x436
How well does this combo into things?
>>
So I'm going to FNM this week at a new store. Bring Burn into a blind meta, and I'd like some help with the sideboard. So far, I've got

1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Dragon's Claw
1 Kor Firewalker
2 Path to Exile
1 Molten Rain
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Deflecting Palm
1 Lighting Helix

I'm thinking of going -1 something for +1 Molten Rain, but I have no idea about the meta. Players and employees are pretty tight lipped.

>>48022718
I really hate to say I'm excited for this card in EDH, but I am, and that's probably all it's good for. If it transformed in end step like others in the set, you might be able to work it, but as it stands right now, it's a card that does a whole lotta nothing and doesn't fit into an existing shell.
>>
>>48022817
Go
3 Molten Rain
3 Kor Firewalker
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Path to Exile
2 Deflecting Palm
2 Grafdiggers Cage
>>
>>48023115
I was probably trying to spread out too thin, huh? I always try to plan for everything and over think things.

I'm hoping to get enough credit for the two arid mesas I need.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>48022817
>going to a new store for the first time
>bringing burn
it's like you don't want to be liked
>>
>>48016573
U tron is tier 3
>>
>>48023711
It's what I like, and what I have. Working on buying staples right now for deck building later.

Besides, I like decks that I don't have to pay too much attention to. Not saying Burn doesn't have decisions ot options, but I do better when I can get in the head of my opponent and predict their moves or manipulate them into misplaying.
>>
File: 1465826418947.jpg (24 KB, 220x395) Image search: [Google]
1465826418947.jpg
24 KB, 220x395
Looking to make a cheap competitive Modern deck. Since Dredge loses to literally one card, looks like it's

8 Whack
Or
Mono Blue Tron

Which one mates? Looking to spend around 300 or so.
>>
>>48024350
Mono Green Aggro. 70 bucks. Just as competitive as the decks you listed.
>>
>>48024350
Dredge
>>
>>48024350
8 Whack is tier ???
U tron is tier 3

so I guess U tron, especially since you can switch over to RG tron once you stop being poor.
>>
File: croc.jpg (34 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
croc.jpg
34 KB, 500x347
>>48016276
How the fuck are half of the non-legendary rare humans niggers nowadays?
>>
So far, what EMN cards may see Modern play ?

I'm thinking maybe the new thalia in D&T and Kiki, That Dryad Mongoose wannabe in Termur Delver and maybe the rider thing in Soul Sisters.

What do you think ?
>>
>>48024505
I love it but it's just too easy to kill.

>>48024579
8 Whack has better showings than U Tron. U Tron is terrible 2.5 at lowest.

I just want the most competitive deck for the money. Merfolk is just too out of budget. Ad Nauseum I'd an idea but idk if it will last.
>>
File: norin.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
norin.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>48024954
The rider in Norin Sisters: like soul sisters but with Thalia's Lieutenant, Parish Champ, access to Boros Charm, Deflecting Palm, Wear//Tear, Lightning Bolt
>>
>>48025164
>Ad Nauseum I'd an idea but idk if it will last
what are you talking about? it has better showings than u tron and 8 whack put together.
>>
>>48024579

8whack was considered to be Tier3 a month ago.
>>
>>48021707
>>48021762
That's what i thought. without countermagic my best plan is prevent AN from ever being cast, which means attacking mana sources.
>>
>>48025164
Ad nauseam won a gp just this year. That means something right?
>>
>>48026648
Not in this thread. Anons are retards and unless the deck that came in first also had several mediocre placings in the same event, it was entirely luck.
>>
>>48022718
Could see it in storm? idk.
>>
>>48021817
>mono-colored decks in memedern

White
>Martyr Life
>Death & Taxes

Blue
>Merfolk
>Blue Tron

Black
>8Rack

Green
>Stompy

Red
>Skred
>8whack
>>
File: 1335459580985.jpg (39 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
1335459580985.jpg
39 KB, 500x389
>>48027777
>>
>>48027786
Why?
>>
>>48027772
>Death & Taxes

Plays black.

Also 8rack, Stompy, Skred and 8 whack aren't even T3 decks.
>>
>>48027842
But skred is really good.
>>
>>48027859
I didn't say they are bad, they are just not really competitive.
>>
>>48027859
>Skred preys on creature decks and fair decks
>modern is two fair decks and nothing but creatures

Why haven't people caught on yet?
>>
I want to build a Valakut deck. I have three options.

>Scapeshift
>TitanShift
>Throught the Breach

They all use Valakut either as a primary or a secondary win condition.

Which one is the the most competitive ? Which one is the most fun to play ?
>>
>>48028129
Titanshift
>>
>>48026688
Didn't it also place well in several events after that one as well?
>>
>>48028129
I like the Titanshift version the most, removing the 1 card combo seems strange to me
>>
>>48022340
Do you have a list?
>>
>>48028129
Titanshift is the most fun, bar none.
Attacking and getting two lightning bolts off of a trigger is amazing.
>>
File: Watermelon.jpg (447 KB, 1920x1024) Image search: [Google]
Watermelon.jpg
447 KB, 1920x1024
>>48016276
I bet that snap caster likes Watermelon.
>>
>>48016276
Swans guy here again.
Has anyone here ever played Seismic Swans before? Do you have any tips? namely, what should I do against Dredge? Cry?
>>
>>48024350
I spent 300 on my budget mono red burn deck. And it does decently well.
>>
>>48026688
Are you being retarded as a joke?
>>
>>48028129
Prime Time is always fun.
>>
>>48018863

don't go to google; 90% of a time, a card will have a ruling on it on Gatherer for the question you have, or another related card will have it. You may also find it on reminder text sometimes.
>>
File: DSC_0035.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0035.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Spot the fake!
Poor lighting edition!
>>
>>48029301
bottom right
do you actually play with counterfeit cards?
>>
>>48029301
It's either bottom right or top right, but like you said, poor lighting.
>>
>>48021798
Elves is a shit deck in modern you pointy-eared fuck. At least merfolk doesn't straight up concede to pyroclasm.
>>
>>48028129
TitanShift with Through the Breach & Emrakul
>>
>>48029642
>>48028242
>>48028294
>>48028710
>>48029156

Titanshift it is then !
>>
File: 62.png (150 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
62.png
150 KB, 460x345
>>48016276
Snapcaster Thief: Massa Massa I wants some cheeekens.
High Level Mage: LOL NO!
>>
>>48017989
they're commenting that other than lightning bolt, modern jund is all rares and mythics
>>
>>48021397
Warren Instigator is about as good as can be for this effect
>>
>>48029890
Bolt and Iqui to be fair, but yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>48029301
All of them.
>>
File: CmI4Q2zUkAAnpUE.jpg large.jpg (101 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
CmI4Q2zUkAAnpUE.jpg large.jpg
101 KB, 745x1040
How good would this be in grixis delver? You could play it in response to a removal spell on Gurmag Angler by saccing Angler.

Probably not that good, but a man can dream.
>>
>>48030492
Playable in mono green eldrazi tron.
>>
>>48030227
That's not how the game works
>>
>>48030492
If you need to have an angler or tasigur out in order to play it, cards which also require you to do a little work in order to be cast early, it's probably not that good. You're basically playing a combo, except it doesn't win once assembled.
>>
>>48030492
I'd only play any Emerge card in a deck where you're certain to gain value passively from each sacrifice, and where you're able to use the graveyard properly as a resource. So far, the Emerge cards have included some sort of protection against the 2-for-1 Auras problem (Deep-fiend is going to be flash-cast to respond to removal, while Gryff cantrips), but it's sinking your mana into one place, so you need to hedge your resources against that. In general I think it's Standard decent, in Modern it seems vulnerable.
>>
>>48030492
>>48030507
This card seem very strong in tron. Gives tron a way to stabilize against aggro, good against other tron decks, and even strong against most combo decks not ad nauseam though.
>>
>>48030756
idk, for 8 mana, you already have Ugin and Oblivion Stone+activation.
>>
>>48030492
>>48030756
are we pretending to be bad at magic again?
>>
>>48030492
It just costs too much to see play in modern.
>>
>>48030492
>have an angler or whatever out early
>they path or whatever it
>2 blue to brick the spell and probably time walk

Looks playable
>>
>>48031390
I mean, that's likely true, but it can cost as little as UU under the right circumstances and I expect getting it down to 1UU shouldn't be too hard. At that point you're casting it as a combat trick and replacing one of your creatures as a bonus.

The cost is at least manageable. It might not be the best tempo play in the world, but I mean at the same time, it has Flash. It could be a free cast in a lot of situations. But it's Modern, so there's just a ton of shit in the game that you would probably rather have in your deck.
>>
>>48031471
The problem is that it's a dead card on its own. You need creatues on board and they have to be somewhat big, like CMC 4 or more for it to really be good.

I'm not denying that it's a nice scenario where you sac a dying delve creature, but I don't think it happens enough to justify running this card. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>48031527
I mean if your deck has enough control to ensure a midgame, enough creatures to have a board state (if not a great one), and enough mana dorkery to be curving competitively, it works. But I don't know if you can ensure that in Modern. At least not with the bans putting that Eldrazi deck in the dumpster. Standard, I can see it. Maaaaaybe even Legacy considering you can win games just by playing Eldrazi, but that deck is so loaded I don't see what you'd drop to put any card like that one in, even a more pushed version.
>>
Any reason why people play meme decks like ad nauseum and u tron and take them to big tourneys and opens think they will win legit any games?
>>
>>48031628
Any reason you shitpost?
AN just won something you moron
>>
>>48031701
>An player detected
Enjoy literally killing yourself half the time and losing to "bad" draws with your meme deck
>>
>>48031722
>slobbering mongoloid detected
I don't play combo like thar. It's boring. But enjoy saying everything is a meme and being blatantly wrong about everything
>>
>>48031722
I take it you are salty that someone beat you with ad nauseam? Because its very uncommon for the deck to lose to its self, atleast not more common than any other good deck would.
>>
>>48031628
u tron is for poor people but AN can legitimately squeeze out wins from a lot of decks
>>
File: 20160603_211620.jpg (911 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160603_211620.jpg
911 KB, 2048x1152
>>48029555
Merfolk suck against elves man. Everytime I play my elves against Merfolk I win by game 2. Every. Time. I dunno why, guess elves are just the superior tribe. Once played against a salty merfolkfag ten games in a row and only lost one of them. Stay salty fish boy
>>
>>48032242
>inb4 where are the shamans
>>
File: 20160603_211431.jpg (942 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160603_211431.jpg
942 KB, 2048x1152
>>48032281
Shamans are overrated double bolts at best. Would rather drop the Hoof.
>>
>>48032309
>>48032281
why are you talking to yourself
>>
File: Screenshot_20160629-165119.png (233 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160629-165119.png
233 KB, 1080x1920
>>48032410
He's not lol
>>
>>48031618
The way i see it is if im playing blue and holding up counterspell mana anyway then unless im reading it wrong i can sac a creature and put out something better at the end of their turn instead of holding up mana and not using it at all. Only problem is i guess you would rather have something else in hand but idk.
>>
>>48032522
It's a decent card, it's just that there's a lot of decent cards in Magic. There's not much to keep you from playing it, but like, it's Modern, and the card isn't utterly broken as far as I can see, so you could probably do better.
>>
>>48032242
Skite is main?
>>
>>48031414
>probably time walk
why are they pathing on their own turn?
>>
>>48019615
Ponder and Preordain provide better card selection than Serum Visions, which makes them too good in combo decks for them to be modern legal.

Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time provide card advantage at too efficient a rate for them to be modern legal, Treasure Cruise is banned in every format apart from vintage, where it's restricted to one copy. There is a reason for this.

Glimpse of Nature lets Elves draw its entire deck for one mana, it's too powerful for modern.

The less said about artifact lands, the better.
>>
>>48031414
>waste angler for no reason
>have no creatures, dead card

Yea, I'll pass
>>
Can anyone think of a decent sideboard card for burn in B, W, or both? Burn wrecks my deck the most.
>>
>>48018634
20 or 21 I forget.
>>
File: 1450837877790.jpg (20 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1450837877790.jpg
20 KB, 280x280
>>48033185
>>
>>48033185
>Leyline of Sanctity
You're welcome.
>>
>>48033482
Leyline doesn't do much to burn anymore. Between Nacatls and ACommands in the main and Revelry in the side, leyline of sanctity does next to nothing.

Although, slamming down leyline g2, then taking it out g3 is a fun tactic. Forces the burn player to sideboard for and play around a nonexistent card. Could work, but not likely.
>>
>>48024350
Mono Green Stompy is <100 bucks and is dank.
>>
>>48032754
For whenever people want to kill my archdruid or ezuri. Spellskite is just value
>>
>>48033786
Fair points, I'm just used playing decks that use Leyline as a stall tactic frankly.
>>
>>48033901
It might save you from, or even blank early rift bolts and lava spikes, it's just not as effective as it used to be.

>>48033185

If you really want to fuck with burn, Dragon's Claw, Burrenton Forge-Tender and Kor Firewalker are best. There's probably more.
>>
>>48033185
Dragon's Claw.
>>
File: 1399241502702.jpg (9 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1399241502702.jpg
9 KB, 184x184
>playing BWr tokens
>mfw reaching the point where the opponent is bolting and path to exiling my tokens
>>
File: Infect.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Infect.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
My girlfriend wants to start playing modern and because I play burn I suggested she play Infect because it has a good matchup against burn for when we play alone and is relatively cheap.
The thing is she doesnt want to put much money into it so I am trying to come up a decklist that will cost around or under $ 100.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>48034499
tell her to play casual and see if she likes the game. Then if she actually cares about the game she'll invest in it. Easy as that. And don't buy a deck for her, then you'll just devalue the worth of the cards for her.
>>
>>48018405
>White
>Blue/green
>Green
>>
>>48021720
Elves truly are the master race. Legacy elves here.
>>
>>48034563
We've been playing casual for 6 months now and she said she really wants to get into modern.
The reason she is going budget is CU's she doesn't have much money.
>>
>>48035003
>Take stock Infect list
>Start replacing most expensive cards
>iIf within budget, cease. If not, repeat.

It's not hard, and we won't spoon-feed you.
>>
Be honest, how's Fish looking as a whole?

I invested in it early and got the deck fairly cheap ($80 for a set of vials, pulled a pair of Caverns during AVR, had the legendary lands for EDH for years, bought the the rest for like $80 including Kira and Catchers, and traded some Standard chaff for Mutas). I really enjoy the deck as a whole, but I haven't really been able to play in the last few months.
>>
>>48035003
Infect is essentially a pile of commons with some Shocks, Fetches, Nobles and Inkmoth's

Start with the shocks, sub in Birds for the Nobles, and buy Inkmoths as your first big ticket. Then add fetches and Nobles as time goes on.

Don't build some bargain bin mono-black dumpster fire and then have to scrap it all to play a real deck.
>>
File: br pyromancer.jpg (113 KB, 1126x354) Image search: [Google]
br pyromancer.jpg
113 KB, 1126x354
>>48024350
GO ROGUE
shell in pic related can be fleshed out for 300. it controls the hand and board, has game against every archetype, and isn't boring super-linear.
Just add your favorite lands, threats, and removal. you can gradually upgrade with bloodghast, lili, moon, splashes, etc.

>>48033185
rest for the weary, lone missionary?

>>48034499
i suggest she bump the budget to 150 at least. you really want 4 inkmoths
>>
Anyone play modern dredge?
Here's my current list please judge harshly:

15 THREATS
4x prized amalgam
4x bloodghast
4x narcomoeba
3x haunted dead

15 ENABLERS
4x insolent neonate
4x faithless looting
4x street wraith
3x burning inquiry

12 DREDGERS
4x stinkweed imp
4x golgari grave-troll
2x darkblast
2x life from the loam

2 FINISHERS
1x conflagrate
1x rally the peasants

16 LANDS
1x copperline gorge
1x mountain
4x mana confluence
4x gemstone mine
3x city of brass
3x dakmor salvage

Also, let me know what you all think of haunted dead in place of stitchwing skaab.
>>
>>48036030
wow a worse grixis control
i'm sold
>>
>>48036185
i'd say the amount by which it is worse is easily outweighed by the price difference
>>
>>48036121
I really like having Two Conflagrates. Sometimes you can't wait to long before finding one, so having a second copy helps.

It's slightly awkward if you have both, but it's not hard to refill with Loam (which you should have access to at that point).
>>
>>48034113
kor firewalker and dragon's claw look like winners, thanks!
>>
>>48037138
I have the second one in the board, but I think you're right. Sometimes I'll just straight up lose to a scooze because there's no way for me to get rid of it while they continue to kill my creatures and gain advantage by eating them.
>>
File: bobby sauce.jpg (16 KB, 285x324) Image search: [Google]
bobby sauce.jpg
16 KB, 285x324
I'm new to modern.
I like control decks and long matches. What would be good for getting into the format?
>>
>>48019615
They have to gate storm decks somehow.
>>
>>48035940
>Don't build some bargain bin mono-black dumpster fire and then have to scrap it all to play a real deck.
I was thinking of starting mono green because the best lists are G/x and upgrade from there.
>>
File: hH8k7vp.jpg (113 KB, 982x1389) Image search: [Google]
hH8k7vp.jpg
113 KB, 982x1389
R
E
DONATE
>>
>>48037661
wtf is the point of that?
>>
>>48037686
Donate that liliana enchantment that has loose the game as a mode. Or other dumb things, bronze bombshell comes to mind.
>>
>>48037661
>Donate
>Blue

Ayy lmao

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/76448447574/couldwould-you-reprint-donate

But hey when it isn't Blue it's chill right?
>>
>>48028307
Not yet, it was a brainstorm and I haven't got anything set in stone.
>>48037728
Or that one demon that is the opposite of plat angel. I like it.
>>
>>48037661
>>48037728
grixis demonic pact lets go
>>
>>48037728
If you donated demonic pact and then resolved mindslaver or new emrakul :^)
>>
Building a budget ish merfolk. Gonna get all the staple creatures and sorceries/instant but will need to save up for an aether vial playset.

Question, what's best counters and how many in your opinion?
Atm I'm running 2 spell pierce and 2 vapour snag but they don't really do much for me.
>>
>>48039310
>2 spell pierce
>2 spell snare
>3 foil French delay
>>
What's up with the new funky dredge I've been seeing everywhere lately? Is it decent? Because it looks beautiful.
>>
>>48034499
>infect favored vs burn
Rofl, since when?
>>
>>48036121
I would really like to cut the manabase down to 3 colors if you don't have to hardcast the blue or the black stuff, preferably cutting blue. In that case, more fetches/fastlands.
>>
Just realised the term "unless there mana abilities" means unless they are abilities that produce mana. Thought it was abilities that cost mana.

So I play bw tokens and merfolk, do you guys know of any cards with a similar ability that should go in these decks?
Now that I understand the ability it will help with things like oblivion stone and so on. Cheers
>>
File: 1461516867486.png (5 KB, 259x247) Image search: [Google]
1461516867486.png
5 KB, 259x247
Cheapest Tier 1 deck with staying power?
I know the value of a dollar and I want to get into Modern. I want to make a sound investment that will be in it for the long haul, but I'm not spending above 600 bucks because paying more than 2 dollars for cardboard sends my jimmies into maximum overrussle.

Merfolk? Ad Nauseum? God damn the prices are making my bones sweat.
>>
File: 1450836219866.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1450836219866.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>48040936
>Tier 1
>but I'm not spending above 600 bucks
>>
>>48040960
Suicide Zoo, Merfolk, Infect, RG Tron, etc can all be had below 600.

GJ on wasting your money on the first netdeck you saw, moron.
>>
>>48037728
Wall of Shards would be good
>>
File: 1450831522613.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1450831522613.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>48041112
>Suicide Zoo, Merfolk
not T1
>Infect, RG Tron
not <600$
>>
>>48041180
Nice bait mate. Merfolk is Tier 1
>>
>>48039310
Many merfolk lists nowadays dont run mainboard countermagic at all. If they do it's two spell pierce. Also try Dismember, the 4 life is worth it

also also, if you don't have aether vials, run extra land. 20 isn't enough to expect to play master of waves. You're better off waiting with cursecatcher so you can buy vials first as well
>>
File: 1450838344745.jpg (151 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
1450838344745.jpg
151 KB, 1440x1440
>>48041195
http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-1-modern
>>
>>48040936
make sure you actually like the deck you buy as well, like ad naueam tries to do the same thing every match and not interact, not everyone enjoys doing that

infect is probably near 600 and will always be decent as it has those free win opening hands, but it's also boring as shit if you ask me.
>>
>>48037413
depends on budget. Jeskai Nahiri is top tier now but also like 2k, utron is way cheaper but also way worse, plus I hate how it now plays eldrazi
>>
>>48034499
burn vs infect is misery for the infect player
>>
>>48041207
Thanks man.
>>
>>48034499
>Modern deck that is $100 or so

Probably Mono Green Stompy.

Would fair far better than Infect would against Burn.
>>
>>48041261

Then build Tron without as many eldrazi cards.

Karn, Ugin, and Wurmcoil Engine are still great cards.
>>
>>48029332
I played a few times at GP/FNM and it's almost impossible to notice it, have passed numerous deckchekcs. You just have to not have the obvious fakes and you are all fine. Wearing down the cards makes them more believeable too
>>
>>48042595
where did you buy them?link me that shit my man
>>
>>48035940
Infect loses games because they do not have the +1 Infect with Noble. Budget infect sucks balls.
>>
>>48042831
Not him but search villa zheng on YouTube. Then email him. I got my set in 7 business days
>>
>>48018731
>Blue
You misspelled red
>>
File: en_bJiYQsyNuW.png (186 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_bJiYQsyNuW.png
186 KB, 265x370
Guys
>>
File: lupineprototype[1].jpg (53 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
lupineprototype[1].jpg
53 KB, 265x370
Playable in Affinity y/n?
>>
>>48043640

Why do they keep printing these powerful green tutors I don't understand it
>>
>>48041261
Jeskai Nahiri is less than 1.5k.
>>
>>48043640
Oh yea abzan coco definitely needed more tutors
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.