[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the biggest group you've ever played in? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 1455167594949.jpg (394 KB, 1500x1050) Image search: [Google]
1455167594949.jpg
394 KB, 1500x1050
What's the biggest group you've ever played in?

I'm starting a 5e game at work for rainy days, and I've got 10 players so far. I'm pretty pumped to start desu
>>
>>47916735
>10 players
dumbass
>>
>>47916735

You've probably got too many. 5e is streamlined enough to handle 1-2 more players than 3.PF, but I wouldn't go higher than 7 under any circumstances and no higher than 5 if I could help it.

If you *must* take all 10 strip out everything you can: ban pets, extra attacks, bonus moves, reactions. Each character gets 1 move and 1 action on their turn. It'll be unbalanced as hell but speed is more important than balance with a group like this.

Print the character sheets yourself with the following principle: 2 column, important stats in BOLD LETTERS on the left and a list of the ONLY actions they take on the right.

Make a cheat sheet for yourself and roll all saves/heals/HD recoveries and all that yourself. Only tell them what number to drop their HP by and what number to raise it up by.

Track only HP. Now is not the time for XP, Gold, Lifestyle, Magic Items, Renown, or Honor.

And if this ends in tears, do not blame the 5e system for it. Either you didn't use the whole system so it's not 5e's fault or you *did* use the whole system and it's *still* not 5e's fault.

Good luck, you brave, stupid creature.
>>
>>47916735
>10 players
>>
File: 1455110534967.jpg (48 KB, 536x428) Image search: [Google]
1455110534967.jpg
48 KB, 536x428
>>47916735
>10 players
Jesus Christ. I was in a campaign with 7 players and that was boring as shit. Good luck senpai
>>
>>47916735
I was once in an eight-player game, but we only ever had six people playing at once, and usually it was more like three to five, depending.

There were only three consistent players, myself, the bard, and an australian shitposter, though.
>>
About 13 people or so iirc.
Those size of groups are why OD&D, Basic D&D and their retroclones sometimes mention a "caller" in the dungeons.
Works fairly well with those simpler systems, although co-DM's aren't a terrible idea at that point.
>>
>>47917330
this desu senpai, you either play a much more streamlined game, or get a co-DM and encourage the party to split up as much as possible, with 5 players each doing something under a DM.

We once did that with an 8 player group in 4e, it went to shit when one DM decided to give rewards way too good to one group who were just getting lucky rolls sneaking through a wizard's tower, while the other group took revenge on an innkeeper who stole their stuff. DMs ended up disagreeing about what each other were doing and the game ended shortly after.
>>
File: evengotadog.gif (319 KB, 218x164) Image search: [Google]
evengotadog.gif
319 KB, 218x164
>>47916735

>5e
>10 players
>>
I was in a 17-player mumble D&D 3e campaign a few months back, I have the party and their deaths written down in order still.

>Myas Burns, Gnome Paladin. Killed by Giant Rat.
>Omaro, Human Fighter. Wounded and arrested by Dock Guard. Status unknown.
>Thomas Requille, Human Rogue. Killed by Jail Guard.
>Heatpot, Golem Cleric. Drowned in battle.
>Kole Royne, Human Ranger. Killed by Zhurian Boarder.
>Goryth, Horn Ranger. Killed by Zhurian Boarder.
>Dovis the Tall, Human Barbarian. Killed by Praznylo of Monad (accident)
>The Fox, Human Rogue. Killed by Praznylo of Monad (accident)
>Patra the Lesser, Human Rogue. Drowned in battle.
>Piper, Vermin Bard. Drowned in battle.
>Temurak, Human Monk. Drowned in battle.
>Patra the Lesser, Human Rogue. Killed by Vaelacca.
>Vaelacca, Vildrak Ranger. Killed by Lareno Hartgen.

Survivors:
>Lareno Hartgen, Human Fighter.
>Maar vins Volan, Vampire Wizard
>Asdmir Nolan, Hammak Druid
>Praznylo of Monad, Human Sorceror
>>
>>47919151
oops, Patra the Lesser was duped but the second death was definitely the real one. I think it was a Human Fighter that drowned at the first part instead.
>>
>>47916735

I run a weekly game with eight. They're a fairly organized and respectful group, so RP wheeling and dealing is typically fine--they've even split the party without too much trouble.

The part you're probably gonna have the most fun with is balancing encounters. I've had a devil of a time making interesting and challenging fights for these guys. I'm at the point where I'm about to toss the guidelines and just sorta eyeball it.
>>
>>47919853
>They're a fairly organized and respectful group

Which is the only way to survive.

10 sounds like a fucking nightmare unless it was some GURPS or FFRPG 2e.
>>
6 players and it was already too much.
>>
>>47916735
Sixteen, originally three games in the same setting that I slowly merged into one. Twelve regulars and four that would show up for play every now and then.

Lasted a little less than four years.

Looking back I'd have opted to use 5e or Savage Worlds, especially considering how anime tier retarded it got near the end.
>>
>>47916735
First thing you do before you sit down: Ask how many of them can show up at the next session in a weeks time. It's probably gonna be just a couple of them, ask the rest to leave.
>>
File: Combatwith10PCs.gif (1 MB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
Combatwith10PCs.gif
1 MB, 352x288
>>47916735
>1 player
Workable, provided he or she can carry the entire story on your own, certainly not ideal.
>2-3 players
The golden number, where everyone can have a moment in the spotlight without killing the pacing
>4-5 players
Shaky, usually the result of "Mom said you have to let me play too" or someone's SO barging in for free pizza and that game thing you guys do on the weekends, but doable.
>6-8 players
Expect people playing tablet games, stacking dice towers, and founding civilizations in the time it takes to go around the table in combat. Out of combat, you're pretty much playing with the 1-3 people who are confident enough to talk around an entire infantry squad.
>9+ people
Suicide is the only option
>>
File: 1395509475001.png (10 KB, 387x429) Image search: [Google]
1395509475001.png
10 KB, 387x429
>>47921894
4 is the golden number.
The players trait start to compensate for each other's weaknesses.
Deal with it.
>>
>>47922675
This nigga knows what's up
>>
>>47916735
The biggest I've played in was 7 or 8 I think.

I don't really remember, it lasted only 2 sessions.
>>
35 level 24 players.
>>
>>47916735
When I was young the first campaign I ever played in was my gaming store's "Play in this game if you're interested and want to learn the rules", and the GM actively encouraged anyone to join or leave as they pleased.

The most we ever got to was 12, and it turned combat into an absolute slog. Combat turns would easily take over an hour, and sometimes two. But the combat was mostly there to teach the rules, so it was over pretty quickly.

It regularly hovered around 5-6 players. 3.5e D&D
>>
Song of Fire and Ice game.
8 players. GM had mad skills when it came to storytelling. Each player had their own scenes and interactions with each other. Players killing and scheming against each other was very fun.
It was probably the best campaign we ever played.
>>
>>47919151
How does a golem drown?
>>
>>47916735
13. It was horrible.

Split your 10 man group into two groups that under two DMs that are competing or something.

10 is too many to actually play with.
>>
>>47922985
From the looks of it they were probably on a ship in the middle of the ocean, so him shooting to the bottom of the ocean was close enough to drowning.

Not that guy though, just guessing.
>>
>>47916735
I think I've played an event game with 10 before. It went ok because the GM was an old hand veteran.

Most things are ok because only a few people will take the lead and dominate things anyway but combat takes forever.
>>
>>47916871
kek
>>
>>47916735
i tried to DM tyranny of dragons with 10 players, it was fucking chaos. i will never run a 5e game with more than 6 players ever again, its just to much to balance. a really good DM could probably make it fun but no matter what the game will move at a snails pace.
>>
>>47921894
kek so accurate
>>
>>47916735
7, including myself, in a game of 3.5

You could literally take small catnaps in between your turns in combat.

>I missed? Welp, wake me when its my turn again
>>
>>47922797
hehe
>>
I was in an irl 5e game with 12 permanent people and 3 sometimes people.

It was awful

Characters formed cliques and the people who were dating were insufferable.

Nothing ever got done and more often than not people got skipped in combat.

There was one guy who wanted to play a different character every time we played
A guy playing a fighter as if it were a barbarian
A rogue who was too lucky for his own good
An evil fighter who was "sisters" with the players irl girlfriends cleric
A cleric who didn't know what the fuck was going on ever
A druid who would not stay out of beast form and played like he was in a video game
Some other idiots I don't care about
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.