[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That DM/player
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
File: 1445889730653.gif (1014 KB, 289x259) Image search: [Google]
1445889730653.gif
1014 KB, 289x259
>Be in group of players that hot seat DM.
>we are yet to finish a campaign for a variety of reasons.
>but the current DM is one of our newer players.
>is also a complete douchenozzle.exe
>He ignores skill challenge results based on what we roll
>instead opts to completely ignore entire attack rolls and skill checks if our Fluff isn't good enough
>Mfw I was the one to introduce something similar
>But all I asked was to describe what they do if they can, to keep combat flowing and entertaining
>mfw I can't hit something if I don't describe how I swing my weapon or how i cast a spell
>cannot even climb out of a small mound of mud if we fail to give in depth fluff.
>FUCKING HOW

But I digress, here's another player's statement:
>It begins
>We make characters to fit his world
>Reasonable backstories, nothing extreme, worst was a Dwarf Knight with a distaste for partying
>DM complained immediately
>Retcons our backgrounds without asking us
>Tells us who we are, insists on renaming our characters
>Tells us how we feel in situations
>punishes our characters when we stand by our OWN character personalities
> TL;DR ... He's THAT GUY
>>
File: tumblr_mgat982BtJ1r2g7mto1_250.jpg (26 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgat982BtJ1r2g7mto1_250.jpg
26 KB, 250x150
>>47879156

>But all I asked was to describe what they do if they can, to keep combat flowing and entertaining
>Penalizing players for not describing how and where they slash an enemy with a sword
>>
There's more!
>if any of us offer the slightest criticism he goes full nuclear
>continues to criticize when anyone else DM's
>actually complained that there were too many elves in a campaign
>purposefully killed off his character to make a drow bard/psion multiclass in the same campaign
>DROW
>he didn't even stat into anything useful let alone flavorful
>then complained he was useless

>>47879206
Never said I penalized, I said the current DM was like that
>>
>>47879245
>>instead opts to completely ignore entire attack rolls and skill checks if our Fluff isn't good enough
>>Mfw I was the one to introduce something similar
>>But all I asked was to describe what they do if they can, to keep combat flowing and entertaining

Sounds like he got the idea from you. And you're pretty clueless if you thought increasing ACs if people didn't roleplay their combat rolls well enough would actually make combat flow.
>>
>>47879318
Again, not what I've been doing.
he outright disregards DC's, I don't even change them. I was the original DM and the idea behind it was to allow for players to engage better with their characters. This was because people were not exactly paying attention until their turn came along. I never changed DC checks or penalized players for doing so, I just wished for more interaction from the players.
>>
File: allaroundme1.jpg (108 KB, 599x737) Image search: [Google]
allaroundme1.jpg
108 KB, 599x737
>>47879156
It happens. Sometimes we have a good idea and the players like it. Sometimes the start to DM and manage to get it wrong for reasons.

>DM VtM for a year
>players are encouraged to keep things secret to others (like generations, some background and for a limited time even the clan), making the other find out organically what other players' characters are about.
>have a consistent part of the sessions kept in private so they can keep their affairs from one another.

Fast forward two months
>VtM campaign ended
>one of my players starts a 3.5 campaign
>he invites a new girl (I knew her never played with her)
>session are bit too much slow but don't care, at least I'm playing and not DMing for once.
>she starts taking over the campaign with her character
>Useless in combat, she says she doesn't care because she "roleplays"
>Her character is a Mary Sue who has everything secret
>Fights became extremely scarce like my VtM campaign
>DM says he wants to add more of our background another thing I did with my campaign
>Gives her a cohort for free, who's her husband in game.
>They start to flirt at a point that 30 to 80% of the session was dedicated to her
>Campaign became literally her background, and when the DM tried to touch any other one he does so many errors just to demonstrate he doesn't care.
>They fell in love IRL after a month of "roleplaying" the fictional married couple.
>We tried to talk to them, nothing happened.

Three month after
>She wants to DM
>He says she can help her
>they start to DM together, removing her character
>She is great with the fluff, the rules still lacking from both part but I don't care
>is this an happy ending?
>two session and they say they have no time to work on the campaign, don't feel inspired and shit like that.
>>
We had a player throw a bag of bombs at an npc in D&D
>The DM gets a bit funny but allows it
>DM then increases the explosion range by 3 squares all around
>DM tells me that my character (a paragon tier Slayer) is scared and runs to safety
>I stay true to my axe buried in the floor just the same round, turn before the bomb thrower
>Roll doesn't hit me by 6 points
>I refuse to move the character because no time to react and in a battle rage (I just did my turn)
>I am forced to take the damage that did not hit me because I was refusing to be told how MY CHARACTER feels
>>
>>47879836
It won't go anywhere, the campaign will die in a month top. Their "relationship" will just divert from RPGs to normalfaggotry and the DM won't show up for other games anymore unless he can bring her. All in all, you just lost a player. Move on.
>>
>>47879836
We had something similar, he's buddy-buddy with the host and that is why we haven't been able to boot him yet, despite him also getting pissed with the DM.
it's not like we'd be missing a game, we're all quite capable and cutting our teeth with tabletop atm, it's just we'd be hard pressed to play anywhere else.
He is also terrible for plagiarism.
>claims to be working so hard writing
>second session in
>has already ripped off 3 anime's and a WoW character
>blatantly
>as in Illidan fucking Stormrage
>said to treat it as pirates of the carribean
>won't be surprised to run into devil fruits in his super original pirate campaign
>first fucking quest was a straight rip of seven deadly sins
>MFW
>mfw wasn't allowed to face cause I didn't fluff it
>>
>that GM that don't actually allow your character to influence anything, and just keeps everyone listening to his shitty story
>that GM that spends more time talking with himself as different NPCs than talking to the players
>that GM that won't even allow a player character to die, because it'd mess up his story.
>>
File: 1459716742793.jpg (26 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
1459716742793.jpg
26 KB, 400x309
>>47879156
Call him out on it OP, don't pussyfoot around, this is literal cancer DMing and if you let him continue it will spread

Salt the fields you accidentally sowed if you must OP
>>
File: 1382075427011.jpg (44 KB, 351x398) Image search: [Google]
1382075427011.jpg
44 KB, 351x398
Idiotic shit my DM's done just recently:

Had us fighting literally 100 kua-toa, 20-30 aboleths, 10-20 mindflayers, for a straight 20 hour slog fest over several 4 hour sessions.

Had us going against DCs that were an 80-95% chance of failure for anyone who wasn't a paladin.

Gave the "co DM" permission to make himself a God Avatar that carried most of the fight against the god-killing Eldest Aboleth

Earlier in the Underdark we spent 2 and a half hours waddling through a drow and duegar village with no narrative purpose

Straight after that, listening to the PC half-vampire half demon's vampire father wizard, that should have stay fucking dead and is back for no good reason, puff his bitchass up while we sat in forcecages IN THE MIDDLE OF THE UNDERDARK.

There is so much more. Yet, the other players are wondering why I sound frustrated all the time.
>>
Story time with a shitty DM who's ego undermines quality game time.
Every NPC is omnipotent.
>Our first boss fight
>I crit and 1 shot a guy
>I charge at the boss
>Goblin Boss flies 11 squares away and ignores my charge that hits
>Another of his NPC's shows up and steals the last hit on the boss
>Players get hit and fail skill checks when he wants it to happen
>Because it's DM vs Players and we might ruin his terrible plagiarised story that he claims to be original
>>
File: 1439213475376.gif (227 KB, 180x135) Image search: [Google]
1439213475376.gif
227 KB, 180x135
>>47880589
Third player here. We've tried before, but he LITERALLY babyrages the moment someone tries to give any criticism. Tries using the excuse of 'but muh time and effort' even though one of our previous DM's got absolutely derailed to accommodate the guy in our last campaign.
>>47880664
This is our other player, this happened in the first session.
>tfw DM plays by the rule that if players get bloodied in one hit, they instantly die.
>my fucking face when I'm a bard who is one health above bloodied when the goblin crits an attack.
>>
>>47880743
So what bullshit non-excuse do you have for not having kicked him out of the group?

Let me guess, "he's ok outside of the game," or "he's X's relative," or the classic "we game at his house, oh, oh, or the tried and true "he's someone's ride."
>>
>>47881153

you forgot or he brings snacks
>>
>>47880743
Just stop playing with him then, faggot.

Drama is better than a bad game, especially if he's causing it.
>>
>>47881153
>>47881328
Probably a classic case of the Five Geek Social Fallacies.

http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html
>>
>>47881153
Nah this is Player 4 here, honestly we haven't kicked him to the curb because we want to confront him and see how he reacts to the criticism. Also the host keeps giving him another chance every time as his childhood friend syndrome kicks in and we become the bad guys.

To be honest he pissed me off at the first session as i rolled a 30 on a bluff roll and i was told i had failed because "No fluff"... after i had spoken my bluff. When no opposing roll was made.
>>47881352
>>47881328
He is literally a replacement for an empty seat at the table so we're working on it.
>>
>>47881484
So make it an "us or him" situation, if everyone is pissed at the faggot then tell the one dude to agree to kick him or you're all leaving to make your own group.

>He is literally a replacement for an empty seat at the table so we're working on it.
You know you don't HAVE to have X number of players, right?
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 180x280
>>47881608
Symmetry aesthetics.
>>
File: hs-8.png (260 KB, 633x438) Image search: [Google]
hs-8.png
260 KB, 633x438
>>47881667
>Literal autism
>>
>>47881484
>Also the host keeps giving him another chance every time as his childhood friend syndrome kicks in and we become the bad guys.
>Symmetry aesthetics.
Kick 2 for the price of one
>>
>>47881608
Player three again. We decided to give him one final chance overall because we know he's gonna go full autist and be like 'oh but its muh first campaign and ur bullying me'. While he's been a total fucking tool, we've at least given him a few pointers on how to at least become a more competent DM. I hope to fuck that this will actually fix most of the gripes (excluding the bullshit fluff-to-win rules that he insists on doing.)
>>47881957
We would, but he hasn't really caused any real problems bar this one instance, so it wouldn't really be fair.
>>
File: 695.gif (967 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
695.gif
967 KB, 419x249
We could kick both. But we really like the host.
>His friend is fucking aids to our group
>>
>>47882023

>We can cure the cancer, but we don't want to send the person who has it to chemo.
>>
Had to switch over, the other op is player 3.
>>47881869
It's funny cause I am.

In all seriousness though, the fucker has actually bitched that I've asked him to tone down three things.
1. Stop fucking vaping at the table, you've set the fire alarm off twice and it's making 2 of us woozy. (and I've always thanked him for going to the back door to do his thing, it's less than 10 feet from the table).
2. Stop with the fucking dice towers, the constant clattering of dice it making my teeth hurt and the fact you keep chatting away with the fucking host prooves you're not paying attention.
3. Can we please pay fucking attention? It gives me literal headaches when 3+ conversation AND music is playing at the same time. Also it's disrespectful to the DM when he has to repeat himself more than once to the cock gobblers that are not listening.
That's all I've ever asked for and he's bitched to one of the others about my actual condition.

On top of his plagiarism and whatnot, the only other pass he's gotten is that he's new to the group and needs to adjust, I've only just found out about his fucking gripes towards me and now I want him fucking gone.
>>
>>47882289
I'm not denying the other dude is a cunt, but you sound like a little bitch.
>>
File: Nyeeees+message+to+all+weeaboo.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
Nyeeees+message+to+all+weeaboo.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>47883005
Gotta agree with anon here, your group is congregating on /tg/ to bitch about a player and whining like wimps

I mean, I enjoy a "that guy" thread as much as any other fa/tg/uy but this just feels like a public wank for your group more than anything else
>>
>>47883005
>>47883389
Thirded.

Go deal with the problem, you fucking bitches.
>>
>>47879245
>he goes full nuclear
>nuclear

Such a lust for revenge.
>>
>>47883005
>>47883389
>>47883577

Fourthed. Really. That many people all bitching about the same insufferable cunt that won't take criticism and keeps getting second chances that he keeps fuckin up.

Look, grow a spine and remove the guy. If it didn't stop the first time, it won't the second, or the third, or the fourth, and prompting him to just throw another bitch fit is... what? Going to solve your problem? Give you more cause to kick him that the long streak of shitty behavior already indulged? Establish an already clearly established line of bad credit?

Look, you can get it done in a short, sharp shock and get on with your lives, or you can live with this pain in your side, and if you're not man enough to just cut out the problem player then you frankly deserve to deal with his shitty behavior.
>>
>>47881484
So make it clear, the host and his shitty friend can stay and everyone else will leave the group and find some other people to game with or the autistic man baby can go.
>>
>>47884513
>autistic man baby
Judging from this thread that describes most of OP's group.
>>
>>47880279
I just started a nice relationship with someone who'd feel right at home on /a/ and/or /vp/ and this is honestly my biggest fear right now.

I mean she's awesome, and she said she wouldn't mind trying, but I already told my playgroup to be on the lookout.
>>
>That DM that won't let problems be solved through anything but his intended solution
>Has no issue letting players waste resources to attempt it before saying it won't work
>He also won't let combat be avoided
>Rewards are shit compared to the struggle to get them.

Wake me up.
>>
>>47882001
>>47882023
Just admit it, you're making excuses because you're scared of confrontation.
>>
>>47886736
>Can't wake up
>>
>>47882001
You chose your own grave.

Write updates on how bad he gets with you enabling his shittiness.
>>
>>47887449
save me from the meme I've become
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.