[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kings of War/Mantic general: "Might as well go for four
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: 1455479735799.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1687) Image search: [Google]
1455479735799.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1687
Kings of War/Mantic general: "Might as well go for four" edition.

Condensed rules:
http://puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS%20OF%20WAR/KoW%20FAQ%20and%20Errata%20290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page.

Kings of Math Damage Calculator
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QBfREAWucgTPeoEhXxO3fqDU141IQw7Ajgp71m5cizs/edit#gid=0

Old Thread: >>47498951
>>
>>47635840
SNAP
we actually got a 4th topic.
>>
I've got 100$ burning in my pocket and I kind of want to invest into something. Conveniently, Mantic now has kind of a nice lineup and I'd like to promote their stuff at my LGS.

Right now Deadzone is looking kind of nice, filling a weird niche. Not sure people would jump on the two warpath/firefight not-40k, since that's already established locally.

Of course, my computer is on the fritz and I'll probably end up blowing my savings on finally buying a desktop now that I'm done with college. I was going to hold out for Zen, but my laptop is dying too soon. I'm sorry AMD, I waited for you.
>>
You guys think there is a best faction in KoW?
Not necessarily far and away the best, but one that can be agreed to be "yeah, probably the best overall, even if a little bit"

Like Undead?
>>
>>47636489
Didn't we just see a tourney of 40-50+ people where only one guy played Twilight Kin and won every match?

I like Undead myself, since they have some of the more different options in strategy. Getting really fond of building formations with Wights in 2nd rank.
>>
File: 1464951462010.jpg (87 KB, 960x520) Image search: [Google]
1464951462010.jpg
87 KB, 960x520
>>47636541
You mean the pic attached?
Doesn't it just say TK was played/appeared 3 times over 9 tournaments and averaged 1st place?
I mean 'averaged first place' is pretty good but it's overall a small sample size, and the info isn't perfect - as said it could just be 1 pretty good player playing 3 times. And winning.

Be interesting to combine all the tournament results into 1 to get a ton of stats. Not that they'd be super useful, as far as proper statistics goes.
>>
So I have my army choice narrowed down to either Dwarves or Abyssal dwarves. Problem is I really like both model ranges by mantic. From experience what does /tg/ recommend?
>>
File: the-dwarf-of-fire-canyon-2-obl.jpg (152 KB, 1000x682) Image search: [Google]
the-dwarf-of-fire-canyon-2-obl.jpg
152 KB, 1000x682
>>47636710
If you're using the Mantic models, the regular Dwarfs have more hard plastic stuff as opposed to hybrids or other materials, so they'd be easier from a modelling standpoint.

Both also have pretty good third-party model support (dem Russian Alternative not-chaos-dwarfs-guv-swear-on-me-mum are dangerously sexy)
>>
>>47636710
I really considered abyssal dwarves but somebody bought me a box of Mantic skeletons and pretty soon I was playing undead.

But I was considering abyssal dwarves for their warmachines, and fliers. The dwarven ones are good but covering the other half of functionality. But the flamer team (plus decimators so you're not limited to warmachine unlocks!), lighter warmachines, and indirect fire are my gig. The slave orcs are really really good for the chewy center of an army too given the stats/points. They've got probably the best harassment flying units for the points without throwing the flying artifact on a hero. The one thing they don't do much of is spellcasting though.

My one criticism of the abyssal dwarfs is they've got too many cavalry options. Undead has just as many, but they're very different in function (nimble (yes the werewolves are light cav), shamble, elite) whereas the abyssal dwarf cavalry options are more just a regular gradient of improving statlines. BUT if you want to run all-cav or a detachment of cav then they've got the full fodder+core+TallerRearFlankForMulticharges
>>
File: Kaos-Dwarf-NL.jpg (90 KB, 598x258) Image search: [Google]
Kaos-Dwarf-NL.jpg
90 KB, 598x258
>>47636777
Also, not him, but part of the reason I was considering abyssal dwarfs is they've got the *chaos* thing down. I know people have been criticizing them for the same thing (least uniformity in units of any army), but on the other hand the old-school GW big hat style chaos dwarfs didn't really scream chaos like these guys.

I've heard the hybrid kits aren't bad, but more hopefully they'll get a bit cheaper when they finish replacing the metal/hybrid kits like they were doing with twilight kin.
>>
>>47636635
>Elves
>10th place average, 2nd worst
>8 appearances in 32 players

How? They've been wrecking shit in casual play. Or are the strategies I see in casual play totally garbage at tournaments with pros? (fuck'n deathstar buffed archers)

>Orcs
>Significantly worst average placing with 7 appearances
Ouch.
>>
File: chaos_dwarves.jpg (55 KB, 866x526) Image search: [Google]
chaos_dwarves.jpg
55 KB, 866x526
>>47636925
Found the other example I was thinking of. They're just really weird. I love it.
>>
>>47636979
Casual perusal of the list leads me to believe that orcs pretty much need Goblin allies.
>>
What sort of things should I look to include in an undead list?
>>
>>47637897

Wights are murderous. They're your can-openers, able to carve up any high-def unit in short order. The lack of monsters is more than made up by how bullshit good Wights are.

Zombies are dirt cheap and, if you take a horde or legion, will stick around far longer than they have any right to. Especially if you take the undead rat/dog upgrade and have a necro with heal nearby.

Werewolves and ghouls are the only rank-and-file units you have that don't have shambling. Werewolves work best when ranging ahead, hunting for warmachines or getting in some juicy flank/rear charges. Ghoul troops are dirt-cheap chaff and are helpful to protect your flank.

Revenant regiments can work well as an anvil, but I prefer giving them two-handers and making them a hammer. They're cheap enough to where you don't feel like you're wasting too many points, and if they get in the flank you're slapping down 24 CS1 attacks. Not too shabby. Goes well as flanking units for the aforementioned horde of zombies.
>>
>>47638150
>>47637897
>Wights are the only can openers
No, they're just the strongest. Zombie trolls are a lot cheaper and nearly as good. The vampire infantry/cavalry units are great as well for non-shambling can openers. Mummies are a lower damage can opener with the best staying power out of any of the high CS units.

I wouldn't call werewolves rank and file either, since they have nimble. Generally speaking, with the rest of their stats, it makes them light cavalry.
>>
>>47638228

Wights are probably the most efficient use of points for a heavy-hitting can opener. This isn't to say that the other units are bad at all, far from it, but there's a reason Wights are as popular as they are.

At no point did I say they were the only can openers.

>I wouldn't call werewolves rank and file either, since they have nimble.

By rank-and-file, I mean non-hero units without shambling. Admittedly though, there's only one hero with shambling, which is the army standard bearer.
>>
Cheers guys, unit sizes, regiments or hordes for skeletons? The wider frontage of hordes makes me think regiments are the way to go.
>>
>>47639453
Depends what you want it to do. I'd say hordes are in general more useful, just because they can absorb quite a lot of damage.
>>
>47634551
Pretty basic Im afraid

For High Paladin I instead use Reaper Bones pathfinder dragon and reaper pathfinder Queen Ileosa to make an image of a queen with a dragon slave.

For sister its a bunch of reaper bones, anima tactics, kingdom death models which later on will be mixed up with mantic sisters because for now its just a mesh of cleric models
>>
>>47639892
Fair enough, I thought that because they were wide rather than deep they might have more trouble with units being brought to bear against them.

Where the hell are the rules for "Undead Giant Rats (dogs?)"?
>>
>>47640098
Army special rules. Increase lifeleech by 1.
>>
>>47637096
What are the best units to pick for them from the gobs? They warmachines?
>>
Are the Undead Cav units decent? The skeletons have a vibe that would suit Mousillon, the spoopy Bretonnian dukedom.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 450x450
The recent activity in these threads almost makes it feel like last summer.
>>
>>47642820
Tournament season, yo.
>>
File: Undead Vamp knights 1.jpg (1 MB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
Undead Vamp knights 1.jpg
1 MB, 1824x1368
>>47641617
Revenant Cav are pretty durable for knights with def 5+ and -/17 nerve, and the 16" charge means the shambling isn't too big of a problem. Good value for the points.

Soul Reaver cav are some of the premier cavalry in KoW with def 6 with lifeleech and CS1 TC2, but pay for it in points and low nerve.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 495x635) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 495x635
>>47636925
Well, the Chaos Dwarves didn't really worship the big four Chaos gods as much as they worshipped a lesser Chaos Deity named Hashut. It's kinda like how Skaven's deity is also a lesser Chaos god. Neither of them look like the general forces of Chaos.

Hashut also has a bull theme going on that is frequent in their iconography and the Chaos Dwarves themselves are the Mesopotamians of the setting. So they shouldn't really look like barbarians of the north by the logic the White Dwarf theme used when originally designing them.
>>
I feel like this might be obvious but do Undead Vamp Lords have Lifeleech 2 or 3?
Does the fact that it saays "Lifeleech 2" in the unity entry completely overwrite the Army-Wide special rule, or do they stack?
>>
>>47643297
> All units in this list have Lifeleech (1) unless specified otherwise.

The Vampire Lord entry states Lifeleech (2), which is specifying otherwise. It does not stack.
>>
>>47643376
Excellent.
>>
What sort of things should I look to include in an varangur list?
>>
>>47643750
Barbarians.
>>
>>47643750
Since you have very limited shooting, you will want to invest in either chaff or speed. Or both.
>>
File: WoG-dungeon-Colour.jpg (100 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
WoG-dungeon-Colour.jpg
100 KB, 600x600
A follow up to the Dungeon Saga teasers:

https://manticblog.com/2016/06/06/dungeon-saga-warlord-galahir/
>>
File: Daemon-Engine.jpg (46 KB, 480x414) Image search: [Google]
Daemon-Engine.jpg
46 KB, 480x414
Praise MOM, that mad, Spanish bastard.
>>
>>47646511
The Salamander hero honestly looks worse than the hard plastic one. I got it from the kickstarter and it has no scales on the sculpt.
>>
>>47636710
How do you feel about big hats?
>>
>>47644825
Magus conclaves are pretty sweet, though.
Obviously not going to be tabling people with them alone, but I'd strongly consider taking 2.
>>
>>47650584
There is an objectively correct answer to this question.

It is that they are great.
>>
>>47647594
What's that ? I want it very bad right now.
>>
>>47636710
Flip a coin.
>>
Just ordered my Dwarves, going halves on the 2 player mega starter, got the dwarf starter, 2 hordes of earth elementals, 1 greater earth elemental, 2 regiments of salamanders, and 2 Reaper minis rune priests. Pretty excited.
>>
>>47650601
Magus conclaves are nice but they are absolutely not heavy hitters. Like the magus and night raiders they are clearing chaff, forcing nerve checks and softening targets for melee.
>>
So is an entire vampire army a shitty idea?
>>
>>47654707
no, go for it.
>>
>>47654707
only concern is is there a vampire regiment? dont know a whole lot about their list.
>>
>>47647594
While the picture name says Daemon Engine, the base model looks like it would make a good steam tank. I would still recommend Scotia-Grendel for a Dwarven Steel Behemoth however.
>>
>>47654707
As in just porting over Vampire Counts? That is fine. Just vampire units? Harder to do, but some refluffing (Using Varghulf models as werewolves and using the Black Coach as a Revenant on Wyrm would work fantastically. Otherwise you will probably be swamped after a while considering the low model count of the concept.
>>
>>47654967
For regiments there are Soul Reavers and Soul Reaver cavalry, with them representing vampire footsoldiers and mounted vampires respectively.
>>
>>47655100
then yea go for it!
>>
>>47650649
Counterpoint: Big hats cover potentially fabulous hair.
>>
>>47642851
Cheers m80, could be a good concept to go for
undead hunting dogs like wolf- or staghounds could be a cool thing
>>
Has Mantic made any art for space ships in Warpath?

I specifically want to see Forge Father ships because the lore makes them sound awesome.
>>
>>47658352
I didn't see any, but it could be cool as fuck if well done.
>>
>>47657693
But not even more fabulous beards.
>>
I've been toying with the idea of a homebrew army with a fantasy arabic theme reminiscent of Academy in HoMM5.

I want to include sparabara as a unit because I think it would have a unique role, fits the theme (persian is good enough) and because it's fun to say.

Here is the proposed unit:

SPARABARA
Infantry
SP Me Ra De At Ne Pts
Regiment (20) 4 5+ - 3+ 15 13/15 140?
Horde (40) 4 5+ - 3+ 30 20/22 220?

Special Rules: Big Shields, Phalanx

Thoughts on the Sparabara?
>>
>>47661298
Historically, didn't Sparabara only comprise the front ranks, with archers behind?

Might want to incorporate ranged attacks into the unit.
>>
>>47661298
Woops, that formatting is rubbish.

Sp = 4
Me = 5+
Ra = -
De = 3+
At = 15 (regt) or 30 (horde)
Nerve = 13/15 (regt) or 20/22 (horde)
pts = 140 (regt) or 220 (horde

Special Rules: Big Shields, Phalanx
>>
>>47661315

On top of >>47661313 I would reduce their def by a few points (as in make it worse, like 4+ or 5+) because Persian infantry of the time were pretty lightly armoured and they already get the 6+ to attacks in the front arc from Big Shields.
>>
>>47661330
>as in make it worse, like 4+ or 5+
this isn't WHFB, def doesn't work that way
>>
>>47661313
They were indeed. Because of the high attacks value, maybe make it Ra 6+ for 20/30 pts?

>>47661330
But they've already got def 3, which is pretty standard for guys with little to no armour in KoW.
>>
>>47661343
Woops I got mixed up.

Ah well you know what I mean.
>>
>>47661360
The def is fine, I just had a stroke or something and forgot how it worked.

Standard KoM archers have a Ra of 5+ but maybe 6+ would be better to prevent them from making vanilla archers obsolete.
>>
>>47661386
>Standard KoM archers have a Ra of 5+ but maybe 6+ would be better to prevent them from making vanilla archers obsolete.
There's also the 15/30 attacks versus KoM bowmens 10/20.
30/6 -> 5 shots
20/3 -> 6.666 shots

So the Sparabara would be putting out a couple less shots on average, but then they have higher frontal def and phalanx.
>>
>>47661515
Sounds a fair compromise to me.
>>
How viable do you think exclusively running Forge Guard in Deadzone is?

I picked some up at the weekend and they are really cool I'm just concerned that they're too slow to actually get anything done.

Also managed to get 3 games of KoW in last week with my Varangur, won 2 lost 1 against Ratkin, Goblins, and Twilight Kin respectively.

Fun games, look forward to playing again.
>>
I've taken the feedback on board about the Sparabara archers.

Now, what to you make of this?

NAPTHA THROWERS
War Engine
Sp = 5
Me = -
Ra = 5+
De = 3+
At = 2
Ne = 11/13
Pts = 70

Special Rules: Blast (d6), Individual, Piercing (2), Range 12”
>>
File: Stats.png (12 KB, 754x179) Image search: [Google]
Stats.png
12 KB, 754x179
>>47661838
So with that range & no Reload! it's immediately compared to Breath Attack WMs such as:
Elf Dragon Breath -> 15 attack reroll 1s @ 4+: 8.75 hits vs Def, 90 pts
Dwarf Flame Belcher -> 18 Attack @ 4+: 9 hits vs Def, 85 pts
Abyssal Dwarf Dragon Fire-team -> 10 attack @ 4+: 5 hits, but it's individual, and 50 pts
Goblin War-Trombone -> 12 attacks @ 4+: 6 hits, but with pierce 1 and 65 pts
Naptha Thrower: 2 attacks @ 5+: .666 hits blasted into 2.4, but with pierce 2 - it'll also suffer shoot mods. 70 pts

Pierce 2 does help, but looking at the Kings of Math doc (just because I felt like doing both things), it shows that it has very low average damage. The average wounds are from left to right for vs Def 3/4/5/6 targets.

For fun I threw in the Ratkin Artillery (90pt), clawshots (90pt), and a KoM ballista (60pt). The thrower comes very close to the Ratkin Artillery, but then it'salso a 48" WM, so won't be charged after 1 round of use.

It should be noted that much of this other artillery has a Nerve statline more close to 9/11 or 10/12, but eh I don't think that matters too much on a single WM.

I think it should be buffed, somehow. Extra range, or maybe just making it a 'normal' breath attack weapon. Not overly sure.
PS use the Kings of Math doc in the OP if you are not, it's great. It doesn't track non-attack rules so it ain't perfect, but still good.
>>
>>47661838
>>47662196
Oh, I just noticed Dragon Fire-team should have Vicious, which slightly boosts their expected damage to 3.9/2.9/1.9/1.0
Also, sort of ignored your thrower having individual, which makes it a bit better, but eh, not as much damage as that cheaper Dragon fire team.
>>
Anymore fun 'brewing activity?
>>
>>47663600
One time, when I was 19, I made mead in my closet with apricots, honey, and bread yeast.
>>
>>47664121
Interesting. Tell me more.
>>
>>47664121
It was drinkable? It sounds more like wino.
>>
File: welves1.jpg (42 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
welves1.jpg
42 KB, 600x324
I know a lot of KoW players use either GW or Mantic models but I was wondering if anyone used other companies to build their armies?

Been thinking about making a wood elf army with grenadier miniatures since I actually like the 80's sculpt aesthetic.
>>
>>47664232
It was drinkable, but I brewed it in smaller water bottle containers rather than a single large jug or vat, and I didn't have a good filter to remove the yeast after it was done fermenting, meaning that each bottle was of wildly different quality. They all got you drunk and didn't give you turbo-diarreah though, and when you're 19, that's all that really matters.

>>47664179
It wasn't hard. Get dried fruit, boil the water, make sure the container you're gonna use is sanitary, put the fruit in your boiled water mixture, put yeast in after it's stopped boiling but is a it warm, put a balloon with a small hole over the opening on your bottle and then leave it until the balloon naturally deflates on its own.

I forget the exacts, because it was five or six years ago, but it was actually much easier than you'd expect.
>>
>>47664325
I use tons of old Confrontation figures that my store sells in its loose minis bin ($2 a piece, more if you want a base to come with it) along with some recasts from based Ukranians ($10 a piece as per the standard metal dude in a blister price). They fill in a lot of gaps that have rules but neither GW nor Mantic offers models for like a mounted necromancer or a imposing demon on a 40mm base.
>>
>>47664325
I seen plenty of divine rage of late, plus gamezone and AoW mixed with WH and sometimes mantic (specially undead).
>>
Does anyone use movement trays that accomadate round bases? Did you make them yourself if not where did you get them?
>>
>>47664853
The mantic forums have a really useful thread on hobby supplies, and includes links to round base movement trays

http://vb.manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/general-discussion-aa/270745-movement-trays-markers-and-various-helpful-stuff-to-enhance-your-kow-experience
>>
>>47664872
Awesome thank you so much
>>
>>47664325
Momminiaturas is popular.
>>
Looking to get into KoW. Always wanted to play WHFB but I was too poor and I'm getting back into tabletop games. Looking at Varangar cuz conversions were my favorite part of 40k.

2 Regiments of Bloodsworn (+Headstrong / Fury)
1 Troop of Tundra Wolves
1 Horde of Fallen
1 King on Chimera (got some sick conversions planned)
Alternatively
2 Regiment Sons of Korgan (+Headstrong / Fury)
1 Troop Fallen +Brew of Strength
1 Troop Tundra Wolves
1 Chieftain on Direfang (+Lifeleech (1), +Pipes of Terror)
OR (the most drops, but the most cash for me to enter)
2 Regiments of Bloodsworn (+Headstrong / Fury)
1 Troop of Tundra Wolves
1 Regiment of The Fallen (+Brew of Strength)
1 Regiment Direfang Riders (+Lifeleech (1))
1 Chieftain on Direfang (+Lifeleech (1))

Which of these 1000pts lists looks the best? Can't find much feedback on Varangar. Someone said I should take allies for chaff (i'm just learning about this stuff)
>>
>>47666411
The later seems the most fun to play, pretty fast army than without ranged you will need anyway (unless allies or mages).
>>
>>47664325
The undead I'm working on is almost entirely reaper bones, with some boardgame minis that I had handy.
>>
>>47666411
I like the second one the most. The Chieftan will be a great centerpiece, though you should add another source of inspiring eventually. You probably don't need allies, Varangur don't have anything super chaffy, but using hordes of their cheaper infantry won't be a bad idea especially as their nerve values aren't too bad.
>>
>>47666411
I can't see why you need allies for chaff when you have Thralls and Tundra Wolves available to you
>>
File: 99590201009_NurglePlagueToads1.jpg (25 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99590201009_NurglePlagueToads1.jpg
25 KB, 600x620
>>47666411

I can recommend Fallen, they're quick enough to get into a flank and really start smashing shit quite quickly.

They aren't massively survivable but they become a problem that needs to be addressed and that can buy your heavy hitting footsloggers the time they need to close the gap.

I usually run them in 2 regiments.

I use Nurgle Plague Toads for them, kind of makes sense since they have nimble and pathfinder. They just ribbit, ribbit about and hop over stuff.
>>
Speaking of Thralls do you guys think I could get away with using zombies for them?

The rest of my army is Nurgle themed so they should fit.
>>
>>47668767
Seems a perfect fit to me.
>>
Another idea

DJINN
Large infantry
Sp 5
Me 4
Ra -
De 4
At 12/24
Ne 12/14 or 15/17
Special: cs2, fly, wind blast 2
>>
>>47670305
Uh...that doesn't seem too weird, I guess? A quick flick through the core book brings me to the Elohi - 12/24 at 4+ is the same as 9/18 at 3+ (6 hits and 12 hits), CS2 is a better CS1+TC1, fly is fly, you 'replace' inspiring with WB(2) - Inspiring is probably worth more though so you don't really do that, and then you have worse Def and Speed and now the comparison isn't so great is it?

Taking the "Djinn" the Enslaved Guardians in the EoD, they have Wind Blast 5 so you could consider Wind Blast 5 rather than 2 just to keep in-line with other things that are "Djinns". I also don't really see Wind Blast below 5 anywhere, but it's not like that's a hard rule you can't set to whatever. Wind Blast 2 isn't going to be doing much movement, though.

Then of course you don't have any idea on points, which is the hardest part, and one I don't want to even stab at. For "vaguelyish similar" you'd probably want to look at stuff like the Elohi, the Enslaved Guardian, Nightmares, Tortured Souls. That low low speed is a serious downer to Fly's power though, I'd think, so has to be kept in mind.
>>
>>47670305
Hopefully the Ophidians are more in the line of Araby than just TK plus meat or Rackham Ophidians.
>>
>>47671388
I fot the feelings that they were going for Stygians from Conan.
>>
A lot of the armies feel vaguely samey at first blush.
Are they actually noticeably different in feel in play?
The friends I play with might not appreciate it if it's too bland/samey, but I'm looking for something simpler than WHFB - 3 rolls for every attack round (hit, wound, armor save, then maybe a ward) combined with math comparisons and counting what models can attack is annoyingly slow.
>>
There was some tournament yesterday or the day before or whatever with 26 particpants - "Kings of the Keystone"

Attached are the results, and this is a link to the rules/scenarios
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BAaGxLy_mOL5w7LeOYXyCck18sNZSN6SlOTWmTyHaio/edit

And then, if wanted, the forum post on this topic was @ http://vb.manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/general-discussion-aa/285747-kings-of-the-keystone-one-day-tourney-results
>>
>>47671842
Actually, it's attached here.
>>
So I just noticed CS and TC and other similar rules say +n modifier to rolls to damage - I've just been ticking the targeted units Def down at a 1:1 basis.
This is completely exactly the same thing, right? Like "CS1 versus Def 4+ means they're actually Def 3+" will be fine?
Are there any edge cases where this'll be a problem? I can't really think of any, but it's weird that they'd do it this way. Feels like an extra step versus what I've been doing.
>>
>>47672784
I think that's fine as long as you remember this from the rulebook:

"Any die that rolls a 1 always fails to damage, regardless of modifiers. If a modifier brings the score required to damage a target to above 6, that target cannot be damaged."
>>
>>47671664
They play very differently bruh, the Herd is very fast and punch hard, but they are squimish. Elfs tend to be few but wreckers of stuff ,Undead tend to be fun with shambling than in good hands can wreck shit and blah blah. WHFB had lots of options and stuff than perhaps had a more fluffy feeling (like special objects or spells for every race) but tended to muddy it all in the gameplay part, mantic has ridden itself of a lot of fat and is fast and lean in echange of that. If you really want fb game with more options and what not, try War Throne, isn't fast but you have lots of options if you don't mind the extra clunkiness. You can't have it all.
>>
>>47671855
>The Ratkins.
They cheesed it with the ranged, didn't they?
>>
>>47636925

If by Chaos you also mean mutations, the Dwarfs natural resistance to Chaos means that only Sorcerers really mutate.
>>
>>47674458
KoW is also a more pure wargame. WHFB was always a mix between RPG and wargame. It's the reason why WHFB rules were all over the place.
>>
>>47674473
What's ratkin ranged cheese look like?
>>
>>47674458
Not him, but where can you find the English rules for Warthrone? I doubt that I would play it as it is just KoW at my store.
>>
>>47676751
>Update
Avatars of war website has the rules translated I think, with the army lists.
>>
Everyone is talking about coming over to KoW from WH Fantasy now that ship has sunk, they say you can use your armies as KoW factions.

He's my question, is there a faction that I can use with my Chaos Daemons?
>>
>>47676807
Nightstalkers or abyssals
>>
File: eod1.jpg (70 KB, 581x585) Image search: [Google]
eod1.jpg
70 KB, 581x585
Thought you guys might be interested in this.

Pre-orders of the new Empire of Dust army deal has been posted on mightyape.
>>
File: eod2.jpg (20 KB, 545x287) Image search: [Google]
eod2.jpg
20 KB, 545x287
>>47677803
>>
File: eod3.jpg (24 KB, 544x413) Image search: [Google]
eod3.jpg
24 KB, 544x413
>>47677824
>>
File: eod4.jpg (14 KB, 452x309) Image search: [Google]
eod4.jpg
14 KB, 452x309
>>47677839
>>
File: eod5.jpg (13 KB, 465x367) Image search: [Google]
eod5.jpg
13 KB, 465x367
>>47677849
>>
>>47677803
Is that resin or metal?
>>
>>47677883
A mix of plastic and metal
>>
>>47677883
I heard in an interview, Ronnie said the EOD army was going to be metal conversion kits for existing plastic figures.
>>
File: WsDVQPf.jpg (394 KB, 1938x2000) Image search: [Google]
WsDVQPf.jpg
394 KB, 1938x2000
>>47676807
>>47676922

To expand on this: it depends on what kind of daemons you've got.

A khorne, slaanesh, tzeentch, or nurgle army functions quite well with Forces of the Abyss. Khorne is straight-forward 'punch you in the face' and as such, has a plethora of choices: Abyssal Guard or Lower Abyssals with two-handed weapons fit Bloodletters almost to a T. Khorne Hounds are represented by Hellhounds. Bloodcrushers can be used as Molochs. Heroes range from the Abyssal Champion to the Abyssal Harbinger, and the Archifiend of the Abyss makes for a perfect Bloodthirster or Daemon Prince.

Slaanesh is also pretty straight-forward. Succubi obviously make for Daemonettes, and Abyssal Horsemen make for mounted Daemonettes. Fiends are a bit more tricky, but you can make a case that Tortured Souls fits (their fly rule can represent the fiends 'leaping'). Abyssal Temptress adds to the list of heroes Khorne has.

Tzeetnch is a touch trickier, but still possible. Flamebearers are your Horrors analogue, and Tortured Souls make for perfect Screamers. While they lack a direct Flamers choice, an Efreet can work as one, or as a hero. The Lord of Lies is, as you might expect, basically your Lord of Change choice. He's expensive though, and isn't monster-sized, so you might want an Archfiend if you or your opponents are a stickler to base sizes.

Finally, Nurgle is representative less on exact units and more on 'a lot of things have regeneration.' As such, Abyssal Guard, with their high defense, make for good Plaguebearers, as do Lower Abyssals if you want more of a horde choice. Imps make for good Nurglings, with Tortured Souls as Plague Drones. Beasts of Nurgle are probably best used as Molochs. The Archfiend rounds it out as a daemon prince or GUO.

Additionally, Chaos Furies are easy Gargoyle stand-ins, and the Chroneas can be a Soul Grinder, or any large monster you think is appropriate.
>>
A few questions about KoW
I just picked up the rules recently and am having issues finding players in Toronto (sic!) and also in registering into the mantic forum.

Also I've got a somewhat decent selection of models from WH dwarfs: i was wondering how to use my miners and gyrocopters (technically one of them is an ornithopter) as.
>>
File: 1351464690067.jpg (782 KB, 1920x2421) Image search: [Google]
1351464690067.jpg
782 KB, 1920x2421
>>47678028

Finally, the Nightstalker army (from Uncharted Empires) can be, with a bit of count-as, work fine for Slaanesh or Tzeentch.

The Nightstalker's entire schtick is being creepy things from your nightmares, which as you can imagine fits daemons well. They all have the Stealthy special rule, making them harder to hit at range. Additionally, they have the Mindtrirst special rule, which means they reroll any Routed result they make if they are within 12" of an enemy Inspiring/Very Inspiring unit. It's not a hard stretch to believe that Slaanesh and Tzeentch would play like that.

For Slaanesh units, you have Daemonettes represented as Reapers or Bloodworms, and mounted Daemonettes as Shadowhounds. Fiends are, appropriately enough, repped by Fiends. The Keeper of Secrets/Daemon Prince can be either the Void Lurker or Dread Fiend, depending on personal taste.

Tzeentch is even easier. Spectres are Horrors, OR they can be Dopplegangers--which is a rather troll-ish unit that fits Tzeetch perfectly. Nightmares are Screamers, with the added bonus of having the Wind Blast spell (giving you some movement shenanigans). While there is again no real Flamers substitute, you can have them in small groups of Spectres, or as Phantoms with the Diademn of Dragon-Kind so they get the Breath Attack rule. The Void Lurker is your Lord of Change/Daemon Prince stand-in, though take note of the many weird monsters that Nightstalkers get--things like the Mind Screech, Terror, and Screamer give you ample opportunity to make Tzeentchian monsters of your own design.

Special note: unless otherwise stated, models in KoW are on 20mm bases. This might necessitate putting your daemons in ranks of 4 rather than 5, as the footprint of the unit itself is very important. A larger unit isn't necessarily better!
>>
>>47678090

The Mantic forum has been having problems for months now. They switched it over for reasons I'm a little foggy over, and since then it's been acting up. iirc if you clear your cache you should be able to get on there and register.

As for dwarves: miners don't have a direct analog, sadly, but you could probably use them as Rangers. CS1 goes well for their mining picks, and Vanguard is about as close as you can get to their arriving-from-underground rule. Failing that, you can use them as Shieldbreakers, Ironclad, or Ironguard; at that point they'd be normal-ish dwarf troops, but it's better than them collecting dust.

The gyrocopter has no direct representation, sadly. The closest you can get with the list is a King on Large Beast with the Wings of Honeymaze artifact, giving them fly.
>>
>>47678317
The official forum runs like ass on my tablet. So I just stopped going there.
>>
>>47678924

Yeah I dunno why their forum runs like hot ass. I assume they got the lowest bidder, or got Frank the maintenance guy to do it.
>>
File: warmaster-orcs-004.jpg (689 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
warmaster-orcs-004.jpg
689 KB, 1600x1200
So can you play KoW with the old 10mm Warmaster models?

I heard the answer is yes, it works if you use centimeters because you don't pick out individual casualties, but I'm not familiar enough to know.
>>
>>47679371

KoW only cares about the footpring of the unit, so it can totally work for 10mm. You'd have to scale it down, of course, but the rules should work at that level without too much of a problem.
>>
>>47679371
Yep, works just fine. You can make the scale adjustment if you like or just leave the measurements as-is, which will give you a 'roomier' game experience. Lots of 28mm games have a ground scale that's not really representative of what it would be in reality anyway (e.g. a real bow can probably shoot much further than a bow in KoW can)
>>
File: Gobbo Army.jpg (2 MB, 5456x3632) Image search: [Google]
Gobbo Army.jpg
2 MB, 5456x3632
>>47679371

I do it with 6mm and it works just fine, here is base sizes my group uses

10man Infantry= 40mm (Frontage) X 20mm
20man Infantry= 40mm (Frontage) X 40mm
Hordes all sizes are 80mm (Frontage) X 40mm
Legion all sizes 80mm (frontage) x 60mm
** No 5 man units.

Large Infantry Regiment 40mm (Frontage) x 20mm This is to represent 3 models to a unit.
Large infantry Horde 40mm (Frontage) x 40mm this is to represent 6 models to a unit.

Cavalry:-

5man Cavalry= 40mm (Frontage)x 20mm
10man Cavalry= 40mm (Frontage) x 40mm

Heroes Or Monsters
Hero (with bodyguards)= 10mm X 10mm
Hero Mounted (Horse)= 10mm X 10mm or bigger if needed.
Hero Mounted (Monster) = any size but no bigger than 40mm X 40mm base.

Warmachine = 20mm X 20mm

Table size 72x48cm
>>
>>47679443
>>47679470
>>47679461

Hang on, doesn't it not work because in Warmaster, the cavalry is lined up front-to-back instead of side-to-side?
>>
I'm thinking about playing an army like this

Twilight Kin at 1500
Abyssal riders (horde) x2 with pathfinder/+1 to hit
Hydra x2
Gargoyles (10) x2 for chaff/screening
Twilight bolt thrower
Lord on dragon with +1 def

I could add the deploying item and be left with 10 spare points. Any opinions about this? Could it do good? My plan is hellions from the dark eldar range riding juggernauts of khorne for the riders
>>
File: default.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
default.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey y'all, what do you guys think about my varangur army-list and what should I spend the last 15 points on?
Any suggestions, tips and tricks are highly welcome as my first ever KoW match is just around the corner.
>>
welp
>>
>>47682971
Just make a thread on a specific day of the week IE KoW Saturday and come up with better editions than whoever made this thread (We Still Have Tomb Kings Edition would be perfect).
>>
>>47683323
But then I'd have to wait until Saturday to have a thread to post in.
Slowness is unfortunate but hey. I dunno if constricting all of our nontalk to a once/weekly thread is very great either.
Maybe if somebody advised the 2 lists above? Me, t I'm not so good at list making/advising, being relatively new.

Hey, to that guy making the Sparabara and stuff: What do you have so far? Just the 3 things you've shown here? Did you get any further on em?
>>
>>47683356
It works for several other games without issue. In the end it depends on whether you care enough.
>>
>>47677824
Not feeling the polearms, specially how big and silly they look. Godamn I like some of the mantic ranges like the Gobs,Orcs and undead, but that's because they aren't so cartonish. I really don't like that look at all (specially when small legs are involved).
>>
>>47683614
In the same boat. Mantic is best when they go full truescale, but not so much when their figures are entirey cartoonish. I feel the same way with GW, as the garbage can lid hands have never looked nice, but lean figures like Bloodletters come across nicely. It is hard to be a fantasy game who likes realistic figures.
>>
>>47679470
That basing looks great. Its even more important in 6mm. I need to get better at that scale.
>>
>>47679371
I'm making 10mm armies to play in my small ikea coffee table.

Using standard 20x40 warmaster basing

troops = 1 base
regiment = 2 bases
hordes = 4 bases
legion = 6 bases

cavalry I only use in regiments with 3 bases side by side.

everything else is either 20x20, 20x40 or 40x40
>>
>>47679470
I absolutely love armies at that scale, especially because some of the sub-groups of the force really stand out, like the Spider contingent with (What I'm assuming to be) an Arachnarok spider amongst them.

Its a lovely force Anon.
>>
>>47685704
What I like about <10mm armies is if you want to take monsters, you can make them REALLY big (relative to your footsloggers, anyway).
>>
>>47685826
Eh, Ive seen some pretty decent "big" ones with 28mm all the same
>>
>>47680545
Lose the bane chant on the mage because you have tons of crushing strength.

With the 30 points I would advise putting Guise of the Deceiver on your Sons of Korgaan, Direfangs and Direfang chief (or another gift if you prefer, but Deceiver is probably the nicest).

If you don't want any gifts You could put brew of haste on your direfangs which is 15 points exactly and gives them that critical extra reach that means they can dictate getting the first charge against elves and large infantry.
>>
>>47677803
Very interesting indeed.

I wish there were close-ups of the general, scarabs and enslaved guardians.

>revenants

I like that the heads have character, I particularly like the cylinder helmet and the turban heads. Those two-handed weapons look like they can be swapped with Vanilla Revenants as well for their CS1 variant.

I do with that they had made up some special legs though, with the distinctive egyptian skirt.

>Archers and warriors

Look good, the heads and quivers are nice. Not amazing particularly impressive, but solid thematic minis. I wish the swords were replaced by khopeshs though.

>catapult
The extra piece looks nice but it isn't cohesive with the rest of the catapult, it looks very tacked-on.

>Standard Bearer
Nice, clean thematic. Not going to set the world on fire, but it looks fine. The guy (unit leader) next to him in the larger picture with the khopesh looks pretty nice.

>Mummies
To Egyptian for Undead, too European for Empire of Dust. Plus the arms are weird.
>>
Am I the only one here who played KoW before 2nd Edition? Any oldfriends here who miss anything from the previous iterations?
>>
>>47691037
How varied the warmachines for KoM were, and how they destroyed anus left and right. Too powerful but godman it was fun.
>>
>>47689408
Thanks for the input. I think that I'll will be going with the brew of haste so to speed up my Direfang Riders. What would you suggest I use the left over 15 points for? If I should partially use them to for a mark on a unit, which one would you give it to?
>>
File: Frogres army.jpg (2 MB, 5456x3632) Image search: [Google]
Frogres army.jpg
2 MB, 5456x3632
>>47685704

I use the the smaller spiders as mawbeast packs and the big spider as a Slasher.

I really love the 6mm scale, really makes it feel like you are controlling an army.

>>47684434

Thanks, I have experimented some with basing with new ogre army, trying to go for a marsh/swamp theme.

>>47680036

My setup isn´t 100% compatible with Warmaster unfortunately.
>>
>>47691165
I'd probably put the gift on the direfangs since they're probably seeing action before the sons and you want them to survive a turn 2 waver.

Then put Flying Hammer onto your Tundra Wolves or something so they can force a nerve test.
>>
>>47677915
>>47677934
That's unfortunate. I can't stand hybrid kits that uses metal.
>>
File: P5010129.jpg (678 KB, 1941x1123) Image search: [Google]
P5010129.jpg
678 KB, 1941x1123
New battle report. Better late than never, right?

https://youtu.be/lF8ZiZzXHO8

I've been tossing around the idea of running a series of batreps as part of a narrative campaign.
The misadventures of a scheming necromancer who seeks ultimate power with his companion, a dimwitted and kind-hearted ghost cursed to haunt him.

Yea or nay?
>>
>>47692614
What kind of dim witter? Puppy like trying to help or how? Go for it anyway, dry bat reps are good and all for starting, after it the more varied and fun the better.
>>
>>47692789
Not sure how dim, dim enough to annoy the necromancer constantly. I'm thinking Nappa from DBZ abridged.
>>
>>47691276
>Then put Flying Hammer onto your Tundra Wolves or something so they can force a nerve test.

Could you clearify how I would go about using the flying hammer? As a newb I'm not that familiar with the general tactics of it all.
>>
>>47693014
Any unit that has taken any damage has to make a nerve test.
Damage carries over between attacks, and the nerve test uses all accumulated damage.
So if you flunk em with the hammer, they take a nerve test, and might rout/waver, despite plinking them for just 1 damage.

Alternatively even if they don't have damage before, if they have low nerve (WMs, troops...) they might roll really poorly and waver or something even with 1 damage. Generally worth 5 points.
>>
>>47677803
>>47677824
>>47677839
>>47677849
>>47677871
wow, they look like shit
>>
When is next kickstarter?
>>
>>47695329
They announced that there will be a KoW skirmish game, so they might kickstart that along with some new models for factions that they haven't covered. Otherwise nothing has been announced.
>>
>>47695329
>>47696016
It would make sense to me if they did that as the next Kickstarter; they just got Dungeon Saga out and miniatures from that would fit into a skirmish game easily enough.
>>
>>47693167
ah okay, cheers!
>>
>>47647594
Why is this dude so based? His dorfs are nearly complete to make an army, he only need crossdorfs and some warmachines.
>>
How often do you guys take units with Phalanx to have Phalanx?
>>
>>47700278

As an undead player, I usually take a horde of them as insurance against units with TC. If your local meta has a lot of TC stuff, then it's not a bad idea to take at least a unit or two.
>>
>>47700769
>>47700278
Pretty much this. One horde, just to lock down an area.
>>
Getting ready to start two projects. 1k of twilight kin at 28mm and a 6mm kingdoms of men. However, I'm using converted Dark Eldar as my twilight kin and I'm having my first experiences with Citadel Finecast™. Flash everywhere, Sprues are extremely thick and cutting them bends the minis. Kind of nightmarish assembly, really.
>>
>>47700963

Man, I'd rather deal with 3rd edition Dark Eldar than finecast.
>>
>>47701907
Problem there is that the sculpts suck.
>>
File: dark eldar wyches old.jpg (125 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
dark eldar wyches old.jpg
125 KB, 873x627
>>47702015
You dare slander Gary Morley, king of Manface?
>>
>>47702052
Classic Citadel females look better if they don't have the very dark shading of the official paint jobs, but yeah, the original Dark Eldar range just didn't do the concept justice. I've actually been entirely out of the 40k loop since 3e, when I had a friend who played Deldar. I recently saw the newer range and was inspired to make use them. But good god I wish these Incubi were metal. Incidentally, they are representing the crushing strength troops that one would want to include lots of...hopefully my lungs fill with resin dust and I die before the suicide.
>>
>>47702185
I only thought that GW minis were cool when I was 12 and didn't really understand that it was possible to do better.

Fuck GW.
>>
>>47702209
It was definitely a hell of a lot cooler when I was 15. I never worked up any sort of hatred for Geedubs, though. I just stopped playing their stuff in the mid 2000s for one reason or another and now that I'm getting back into painting armies, their bad business practices finally wrecked the monopoly they used to have and there are superior games like Kings of War on the market.

Now that I'm older, I find historical games and armies way more interesting, but I still have a soft spot for ridiculous grimdark Coldsteel the Eldar.
>>
This game is really good, I started recently with an undead army.

I'd like to get more into the fluff, someone has the old edition suplements? Basilean Legacy, Hellfire and Stone, and Kings and Legends
>>
>>47702185
>I wish these Incubi were metal
they were originally in metal, for quite some time

if you sniff around ebay and other places, you might find some pewter incubi
>>
>>47702542
Woah, yeah they were. That's awesome and a life-saver.
>>
>>47702703
yw dude

I don't even play KoW, just spotted your post on the front page.
>>
>>47702052
to be fair I'm pretty sure that more than half of those are actual males
>>
File: img-thing[1].jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing[1].jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>47702209
>>
Got this guy on Miniature Market's big sale.

I've played lots of other wargames, but nothing Mantic makes. So where do I go from here?
>>
>>47703335
Play Deadzone?
Or, play one model with deadzone.
>>
>>47703335
>I bought a deadzone mini
Deadzone / Warpath / Firefight / Dreadball are all the same setting. Think Unreal / UT99 setting mixed with some 40k stuff. Not-Liandri corp for ImperialGuard, Tau+Eldar mashed together such that they're less retarded and actually abuse combat drones, Orcs think Taliban we trained and supplied them as mercs and now they're a semi-competent force out of control, Squats are back as technologically superior space-dorfs that constantly taunt conflict but are too valuable of trading partners to go to war with, Veer-myn are WHFB Skaven taking place of Tyranids complete with a mother-unit and special rules, The Plague faction also kind of takes place of gene-stealers specifically they're like John Carpenter's The Thing, and lastly the Rebels are a rag-tag of whatever with all the minor alien races. The Z'Zor are insects who don't have a proper army yet except in dreadball. There's actual fluff now in the books for the 4 games.

>Where do I go from here?
Pick one that interests you?

Deadzone is neo-necromunda of sorts. It's got campaign rules now and a 2nd edition that's actually more or less where it needs to be. It's meant to be fast paced with random objectives really good modular terrain.

Dreadball is neo-bloodbowl. It's probably Mantic's longest running and most mature offering.

Warpath is their 40k-lite, it's a bit more abstracted/faster than 40k like Epic 40k where you work with squads.

Firefight is their Killteam, it's smaller focused and grittier than 40k.
>>
>>47705181
Cool, so if I put together a force to say play Warpath I could use some of the same minis and play Deadzone and Firefight too?
>>
>>47705378
More or less, yeah. The Dreadball game has the most unique minis to it, but Warpath/Firefight/Deadzone are all the same thing at three different scales. Mind you, warpath has multiple models moving as a unit, and deadzone won't see any real vehicles.
>>
>>47705409
>at three different scales
*Three different levels of focus. Derp.

They're all the same 28mm miniatures.

We'll start seeing some Warpath army bundles in the store later in 2016, I'd expect they've got stuff the deadzone packs don't and vice versa.
>>
>>47705474
Cool. Another kinda basic question - are the minis good quality plastic? I play Warmachine and the damn restic minis are driving me nuts
>>
>>47702513
I tought we had them in the mediafire, I will have to search for them.
>>
File: Nagash-Mini.jpg (36 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
Nagash-Mini.jpg
36 KB, 873x627
>>47702052
>Gary Morley
Better remembered for his best work.
>>
>>47705552

They're switching over to hard plastic. There's still a number of models in restic, and it might be a while before they get switched over, but if you're buying the newest Warpath stuff (from the last KS) then it's almost all plastic.

Their webstore lists what material they're made out of, at least. So that's handy if you want to avoid restic.
>>
>>47707912
I hade seen spergs that unironically think this is a better looking sculpt than the new Nagash mini. The new Nagash mini has all kinds of issues, but it doesn't look like Elvis Skeletor wearing a flamboyant roadcone on his head.
>>
>>47708717
But Elvis Skeletor is best Skeletor.
>>
>>47708734
It's ruined by the roadcone and the dumb as shit looking staff. I can pull a better Nagash design out of my ass.
>>
>>47708943
Yeah, he went a bit overboard on the whole skeleton-skull thing. Kinda makes him look like a comedy cartoon villain.
>>
>>47707912
>>47708717
>>47708734
>>47708943
>>47709063

Gary Morley's Nagash is peak 90's GW. It's overly colorful, festooned with little swirls and skulls, and topped with a giant fuck-off hat. The hands are huge pineapple fists that aren't to scale, and holding weapons that are wildly oversized with the model. This is to say nothing of the face, which is a Saturday Morning Cartoon skull, and whose expression is just seconds away from screaming that he'll get those pesky heroes next time.

I love it.
>>
>>47710726
That's why I don't love it. I have never liked cartoony aesthetics translated to sculptures.
>>
>>47711230
Yup, from Old Gw/citadel Perrys bros were my prefered, specially they brets.
>>
File: image.jpg (330 KB, 1200x835) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
330 KB, 1200x835
>>47711880
Yeah, I feel that I can't go back to over the top proportions after developing an increased appreciation for modest proportions and realistic wargear design.
>>
>>47712904
Yeop, that's why my for the moment, my prefered fantasy mini maker is mom. Good details and all without much stupid details, in general (those ugly chaos things he did...).
Also nice conversions, it's from that guy than was doing GoT conversions or are they yours?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 600x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 600x498
>>47712948
Those are made by some German guy making a GoT force out of plastic Perry minis and viking heads from some other manufacturer I'm not familiar with.

I prefer hard plastic minis so I'm gonna wait for Warlord games to manufacture their hard plastic landsknechts before I start my army. I would have used GW's Warhammer Empire minis, but their designs and prices are too over the top for me.
>>
Wew, those are good, those burgonets are fucking gold.
>>
>>47678317
Sadly the "Wings of Honeymaze" can only be taken by a Hero with the "Individual" special rule, which the King on large Beast does not have.
You could use the copters as some kind of allied monster, possibly a Beast of nature with the Breath and Fly upgrades? Bear in mind you must buy a unit of allies before you can take a Monster though,
>>
>>47707912
I cannot look at it without hearing Skeletor's voice in my head.

> MYAAAAH!
>>
>>47713202
> I'm gonna wait for Warlord games to manufacture their hard plastic landsknechts before I start my army.

Could be a while, we've been waiting on that kit for ages.
>>
I love this game and want to play more. Where is the place to play in Central Ohio? I have a few armies (painted) and just looking for new gamebros to get some scraps in.

post here or email me at ewtrowbr at yahoo.com
>>
thanks for answering my questions about copters and forums. I just wish finding layers in the toronto area would be easier. even playing old whfb ha proved to be near impossible
>>
>>47714613
The comunity has shattered so much than isn-t even funny but what can you do. At least people seems more cool with trying new games.
>>
it truly sucks because after 8th came out I invested hundreds of hours in building terrain and painting miniatures. Then after a hort pause i find GW has cut all tie to WH and the community has pretty much vanished
>>
>>47715220
I'm lucky that my store has weekly KoW events, but I don't see fantasy mass battles becoming a huge deal again. Thankfully there are still events at tournaments and conventions.
>>
I've recently picked up the rules, KOW seems very fun. but even in a major city like toronto i've been having tons of troubles in finding players
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 550x367
>>47713980
I will just buy a hunch of Perry knights while waiting for them and I got a bunch of other stuff in my backlog. I should also be getting the kickstarter Conan this autumn as well and Frostgrave minis. That should keep me busy for a while.
>>
What's up with these got damn Varangur Night Raiders
I'm crazy jealous of them and I'm an elf player. How am I supposed to feel superior with this sitting in my face?
Gladestalker troops have a grand total of .33333 wounds on top of em (2.33333 vs 2 average wounds on Def4 targets), and that's with Elite considered.
Then the Raiders have Stealth (a 35pt artifact in itself - combined with PF they can be super resistant to ranged shots), 1 extra nerve, and are still somehow 5 points cheaper. Plus if you want to, you can swap em with axes.

Saying "Oh you can pay 40 more points on the stalkers to double your footprint, gain 2 attacks and a few more Nerve" seems hardly a real benefit cause regiments are for scrubs
>>
Is ironleaf kin dev ded
>>
as the rest of us
>>
>>47716145
Unit for unit, sure they're nice. But Varangur as an army has a dearth of shooting wheras elves have tons of it.

Elves can take shooting 'core' (regiments and hordes) whereas varangur have to take warmachines, mages and troops to eke out a little damage here and there.

And don't forget that you get elite and Sp6.
>>
For those of you playing Abyss: what did you use as a model for Chroneas?
Or is there a summary of its fluff somewhere for inspiration?

I really can't decide. The only other model I use as a stand-in is a 72mm succubus miniature representing an archfiend, the rest are mantic models. I don't know if I want to go for an ugly blob as a model (to contrast the succubus-theme) or if I want to take a demoness (to continue the succubus-theme).
>>
>>47716591
He gets there from time to time, but he couldn't teste them well so not much change.
>>
>>47719721

>It is said that these black-skinned beasts have roamed the world since its creation, and only after the Sundering found service in the legions of the Wicked Ones. Around them, time can flow faster or more slowly than elsewhere, and their enemies are often caused to wither and die in a heartbeat as the curse of ages is placed upon them.

That's the only fluff on them. Like a lot of KoW units, it's left intentionally blank so you can represent them however you want.

Personally, if I was running a succubi army like you apparently are, I'd go for a giant naga-like creature. It fits with the army theme well enough, and there's a WoW naga figurine out there you can buy that'd work pretty well.
>>
>>47719530
The Elite was already in the math that was posted for wound comparison. I personally disagree that the 'lack' of Varangurian regi/horde shooting is a big loss because you'll probably want an actual battleline of melee infantry regardless, which necessitates Regi/Horde there, and then shooting Troops can easily be easily purchased. Still, they don't get to purchase any 20-attack Hordes, however great of a loss that really is

Something that has made me wonder: Why does this game default to Regiment/Horde for large Infantry/Large Cavalry, rather than Troop/Regiment?
>>
>>47719721
I don't actually have a model of them nor do I play Abyss but with the fluff for some reason I think of some spooky Titan. Or maybe just Chronos. Or maybe The Impossibly Tall Creature/Behemoth from The Mist (despite them not doing anything with time)

But maybe that's just the Night-Stalker talking, or the Chroneas/Chronos name similarity. Completely unrelated to Succubi stuff.
>>
>>47722572
>Why does this game default to Regiment/Horde for large Infantry/Large Cavalry, rather than Troop/Regiment?

Because otherwise it would be too difficult for Ogres to unlock heroes or monsters.
>>
>>47721568
>he couldn't teste them
Typical elf player.

No balls.
>>
>>47723647
Ah. So it literally just is Ogres?
That's fair. Was wondering if maybe it was more, but that's enough in itself, I suppose.
>>
>>47723754
Well, it also helps most other armies too so they aren't penalised for taking large infantry, since they tend to be expensive and you still want to take characters.

The horde of lesser obsidian golems is great for abyssal dwarfs not only because it's a nice unit, but because warmachine slots and character slots are both really valuable in that army.
>>
>>47719721
It's hard as they explicitly have no melee abilities, and from what has been said about them so far they are black skinned and have one eye. I am just using a Soul Grinder as it fits the entire living artillery shtick, but something like the Reaper Shub-Niggurath might be more appropriate.
>>
>>47723712
You fucker, you made me kek.
Also I don't see many elfs with firearms, how would you dudes make an ironleaf army?
>>
>>47725607
Using the homebrew list

That is the only real way to go about it unless you refluff the League as Elves.
>>
>>47725631
I mean the minis sorry, not many makers of elfs with handguns.
>>
>>47725670
Slaughterloo is what Ahsyrn recommended, but you can of course use the WMH Retribution dudes.
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 1200x537) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 1200x537
>>
>>47722319
>>47723199
>>47725589
Thanks for the suggestions.

While looking for some models I stumbled upon pic related and I'm really tempted to use him. He'd fill the bill of an evil-looking demon doing damage without any melee weapon pretty well, and damn that guitar looks awesome. But I don't know if he'd fit into the whole army theme.
>>
>>47727205
Are those starks? Nice mix of ancien anglos/vikings with 15th century weapons and armors.
>>
>>47728123
Mierce stuff is great. I would normally pin that guy as a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh, but using an electric guitar to destroy his enemies would also fit with the time wave that the Chroneas is supposed to have.
>>
>>47728126
No idea. I think their coat of arms is a bear.
>>
>>47728123

Great idea, do it.
>>
>>47728211
>Mierce stuff is great

Their products might look and be good, but fuck me if I'll ever buy from those crooks.
>>
>>47728126
Mormonts.
>>
default.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey guys, I got my second ever KoW battle coming up on tuesday. I'm playing varangur and my opponent is fielding ogres. It's a 2000p game.
What do you think about my army set up? Any tips,tricks, and tactics for fighting ogres is highly appreciated.
>>
giving list advice is for casuls
>>
File: dad6.jpg (322 KB, 660x1024) Image search: [Google]
dad6.jpg
322 KB, 660x1024
>>47731915
or to put it more constructively, post your list after the game and let us know what went right, what went wrong, and what you think is lacking. Play the game. Have fun. Who cares if you win or lose?
>>
>>47729572
>fighting ogres
They hit hard, and some of their units have Big Shield rule (6+ Def front flank only), but they'll almost always have fewer units and be easily flanked. Most Ogre players I've seen overlook the goblins in the Ogre lists, or taking allies, and have either huge formation gaps or very little board control.
So hypothetically more so than when fighting any other race: if you can clog them up with tar pits they should have plenty of gaps for flanking.
But this all depends on their actual list. Ogres can be surprisingly flexible.
>>
>>47735052
Goblin archers so fucking good hey. 85 points is pretty cheap for chaff, slightly more expensive than the 75 some armies get, but make up for it by being able to plink an annoying couple of points of damage, force never tests etc.
>>
File: seriously tons of fun.png (17 KB, 1044x114) Image search: [Google]
seriously tons of fun.png
17 KB, 1044x114
You guys super bored and want to do some army data entry so I can satisfy my personal need for half-assed, poorly-made spreadsheets that ultimately mean nothing and go nowhere fast?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xTifIzvwj9ak8VjruVwSy8pPKjSzFNrVYyfmJdKQK80/edit?usp=sharing

Just fill the fields as appropriate, if you can. See the Elf page for the format I'm going for.

Endless fun awaits.

Also, I'm leaving to go to bed as I post this.
>>
File: 1455081067279.jpg (118 KB, 1135x1520) Image search: [Google]
1455081067279.jpg
118 KB, 1135x1520
>>47735895
no?
>>
File: Evil_Sunz_Icon.jpg (15 KB, 317x305) Image search: [Google]
Evil_Sunz_Icon.jpg
15 KB, 317x305
How do you play wind blast when there is a second enemy unit behind the initial target? Do you stop the target when it is in base-to-base with the second unit, or do you just push everything backward?
>>
>>47733265
I didn't post my armylist for the purpose of making sure I will win the game. I posted it because I have a fondness for making armylists and my lack of experience means that I don't have enough practical knowledge to really self-critize it.

>>47735052
Ah I see. Seems like a fun opponent then as I can't really be sure what I will face. I probably should try to replace my sons of Korgaar with some cheaper alternatives so that I can bring an extra unit. Seems like I also should take advantage of the faster units I can field to be able to outmanouver and flank him as much as possible. In the future, when I have more alternatives availible I might, depending on how they perform on tuesday, replace the direfang riders with something faster.
>>
>>47735895
What is the point of this spreadsheet?
>>
>>47736371
> The target stops 1" away from enemy units or just out of contact with blocking terrain or friends.

It stops.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 452x722) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 452x722
>>
>>47737716
>I don't have enough practical knowledge to really self-critize it

That's why you are wasting your time. Play the game for yourself and see what is working.
>>
File: 1455172273069.jpg (57 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1455172273069.jpg
57 KB, 960x719
>>47737957
Anon stated that it had no value other than to slake his neurosis.
>>
default.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47741242
Here's how.

This is a list I am fighting goblins with later today. I will probably lose. The idea is that everybody hides behind the ax hordes , who get shot up. I spam as much healing as I can muster, and hopefully, my opponent rolls bad.

I'll take some pics and tell everybody how the game went afterwards. I'll talk about what worked and what's broke.
>>
>>47741429
Very orky tactic, it's a great gamble tough.
>>
>>47738890
Thanks Anon.
>>
File: 1305992774765.jpg (361 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1305992774765.jpg
361 KB, 1440x900
>>
>>47661298
If you're looking for arabic-themed dwarfs take a look at these.

http://www.cpmodelsminiatures.co.uk/28MM%20DWARVEN%20EMPIRE.htm
>>
>>47729080

How are they crooks? Some drama I've not heard of or just because they're expensive?
>>
>>47747506
>How are they crooks? Some drama I've not heard of

They are the sister business of Maelstrom Games, a once-glorious online store with fantastic range and prices. Around... 2011 I think, they got into financial trouble. They got to a point of having massive sales to bring in money to pay for the stock of the previous sale, and leaving orders from the current sale unfulfilled until the next sale. Manufacturers complained that Maelstrom weren't paying, Maelstrom made a public announcement in which they lied about the state of their business, to re-assure buyers. Shortly afterwards Maelstrom collapsed and left a throng of customers out of pocket.

During the days of Maelstrom they had an in-house miniature line called Bane Legions. Just before Maelstrom died Bane Legions got their own site, with an identical format to the Maelstrom site (which it bears to this day) called Mierce Miniatures.
>>
>>47747892

Also, they put out kickstarters at a pretty frequent pace, which is worrying. I'm lead to believe that each kickstarter is used to cover the last one, though I haven't found any substantial evidence of that yet.
>>
>>47735052
I haven't seen many strategies for Ogres aside from smashing everything into a fine paste. What other options are available?
>>
>>47752049
They've got a lot of good ways to do it though.
Other fun stuff they can do well, other than charge right in:
>Well priced tarpit/archer unit
>Well priced nimble cavalry that hits well.
>Def 6+ shield walls
>Shooters, 36" range, plus nimble artifact and they don't need no warmachines.
>Goblin blaster for trolling
>Windblast wizard
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.