[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im writing an rpg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 8OEl5yN.jpg (49 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
8OEl5yN.jpg
49 KB, 600x800
I've asked here and elsewhere what people would like to see and have collected said results in the following wall o test. Curious to see what has the most demand:

Part 1:

A Swords and Planets game.
Pros: It hasn't been done much, and I'm vaguely knowledgeable about the genre.
Cons: The genre is so old it's nothing but cliché, and modern audiences might find it somewhat offensive. I'd also be sorely tempted to subvert the genre which would offend purists.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit with the Toons as corrupting Mythos like entities
Pros: No one has ever done this.
Cons: There's a reason no one has done this, i.e. mixing real life people with toon physics is a bitch to design.

Mothers Against Dungeon Delvers: D&D spoof where in you play token mooks, lab assistants, peons, dungeon guards etc. You have unionized, and you have suddenly gained political power via said unions, and are now protesting the ways in which speciesist adventurers murder your people who fill an important economical niche.
Pros: It's absurdist humor, which I do well at.
Cons: Perceived (or actual) political subtext might make people bitchy.

The Stone Age, which potentially covers hundreds of thousands of years.
Pros: No one is doing it (edit: turns out thats wrong, there's a few)
Cons: If I do it seriously it will require lots of research, and would pretty much be a brutal survival horror game with high mortality rate. If I go for comedy there's a game already filling that niche.

A Buddy Cop game
Pros: No one is doing it.
Cons: Not sure if there's an audience yet, and I know crap about law enforcement.
>>
A Swords and Planets game.
Pros: It hasn't been done much, and I'm vaguely knowledgeable about the genre.
Cons: The genre is so old it's nothing but cliché, and modern audiences might find it somewhat offensive. I'd also be sorely tempted to subvert the genre which would offend purists.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit with the Toons as corrupting Mythos like entities
Pros: No one has ever done this.
Cons: There's a reason no one has done this, i.e. mixing real life people with toon physics is a bitch to design.

Mothers Against Dungeon Delvers: D&D spoof where in you play token mooks, lab assistants, peons, dungeon guards etc. You have unionized, and you have suddenly gained political power via said unions, and are now protesting the ways in which speciesist adventurers murder your people who fill an important economical niche.
Pros: It's absurdist humor, which I do well at.
Cons: Perceived (or actual) political subtext might make people bitchy.

The Stone Age, which potentially covers hundreds of thousands of years.
Pros: No one is doing it (edit: turns out thats wrong, there's a few)
Cons: If I do it seriously it will require lots of research, and would pretty much be a brutal survival horror game with high mortality rate. If I go for comedy there's a game already filling that niche.

A Buddy Cop game
Pros: No one is doing it.
Cons: Not sure if there's an audience yet, and I know crap about law enforcement.

Battle Royale: The PC's wake in an isolated area and told to murder one another without knowing why.
Pros: Would be easy to do, huge fan of the movie
Cons: Not sure how much replay value it has.

Old People: D&D spoof about geriatric retired adventurers who are once again thrust into events beyond their control and must rely on experience and wisdom to make it through (cause it's all they got left).
Pros: Also humor, and unique.
Cons: audience?
>>
Poker with the Elder Gods: Retired Investigators hold a regular Saturday night poker game, which is crashed by the Elder Gods who wish to show grudging respect for the old guys who regularly busted up their cults over the years. Shub-Niggurath is dangerously horny, Yog-Sothoth is a cheating bastard since he exists everywhere simultaneously, and everyone worries about Azathoth. The comfy chair you put him in near the fireplace and smooth contemporary jazz music won't keep him asleep forever.
Pros: It's funny, I love it, and there's nothing else like it. Plus I can go deadlands and make the game mechanics poker based
Cons: Really not so much an rpg as a card game.

Kitteh: The Pandering-Spoof of white wolf games about the adventures of cats in their never ending quest for world domination, while trying to prevent their servants (humans) from being offed by the bad guys.
Pros: I love cat humor, and am knowledgeable on this subject.
Cons: There are other cat based games out there and white wolf might sue my ass off.

Fantasy Wrestling: The wwe with dwarves and such. Players are wrestlers who fight evil on the rasslin circuit.
Pros: There are several popular games around that I might be able to make this a supplement for, and I know the subject well.
Cons: Not sure there are any,

Cultist Wrestling Federation: Various cultists compete in single combat for the attention of their respective deities after the Old Ones awake and take over. Plus the usual behind the scenes whackiness, Think of it as a horrifying satire of the old Lucha films with cthulhu.
Pros: I know both wrasslin and the mythos well, and again I could make this a world setting for an existing game.
Cons: Not sure there are any,
>>
Mobsters: Play a 1920's gangster mob.
Pros: It's almost unique. Could also have tons of expansions on playing gangs in various time settings and periods.
Con: Not sure if I know enough on the subject to pull it off, and not sure of demand. Also may piss off actual gangsters if I do a modern version...

The Carburetor Gods are Angry: Mad max/Car Wars style game in which the post apocalyptic world is ruled by the merciless carburetor gods who demand sacrifices to fuel/repair your vehicles.
Pros: it would be in demand
Cons: The supernatural aspect may turn off some genre purists

Monster Cops: Humans are an alien creations and most of us have a time bomb in our DNA waiting to go off that turns us into bioweapons (monsters). Governments and corporations the world over race to understand and control this phenomenon, while you as cops must deal with the day to day problem of homicidal monsters, and potentially becoming one yourself.
Pros: Could be nifty, no one's done it.
Cons: Is a lil too close to the Guyver/Bubblegum Crisis in concept.
>>
end part 1

Mobile Homes and Murderhobos, a D&D spoof written in the style of HOL (i.e. bitter, offensive, highly cynical sarcasm). Fighters would be called Murderhobos. Clerics would be called Current or Future Pedophiles. You get the idea.
Pros: It's easy to do, and has a built in audience, however small.
Cons: I may get death threats...

The New Gods: Every so often the world ragnaroks and the old gods die. When the new world reboots new gods come with it, and you are one of those gods, meaning you have absolute power in some form. But then so do a bunch of other gods, and it's inevitable you'll want to murder one another (it quickly becomes necessary). Plus you all have to worry about monsters like the Giants and such. Initially you have no domain as such and are at the bottom of the heap (but still easily able to kill just about anything mortal). As you take on more responsibilities you gain more power, but quickly narrow in focus. In other words, if you change the weather too often you might end up be a wind/rain god by default and be stuck with that job.
Pros: Unique
Cons: High powered gods as PC's would be tricky to balance.
>>
>>47815247
I'm not trying to sound like a dick friend, but have you tried compiling this info into something and discussing it here?

>>47725302
>>
What kind of attachments does the site allow?
>>
>>47815336
Vids & image files, so you could type it up then print it as pdf.

Or use Pastebin and send a link. A good alternative for roughs if you don't wanna pdf it.
>>
It all sounds terrible, you should give up on this.
>>
>>47815686

go play dnd for n-th time.
>>
>>47816005
I don't even play DnD, champ.
>>
Never create anything to demand. Especially not a big project like an RPG, because unless you are making a five page "game", you'll be stuck with it for hundreds of hours.

Create what YOU want to make.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.