[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being a Paladin is not about Law... not about Light... sometimes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: Paladins-two-kinds.jpg (91 KB, 538x720) Image search: [Google]
Paladins-two-kinds.jpg
91 KB, 538x720
Being a Paladin is not about Law... not about Light... sometimes not even about Good. For Laws can sometimes be written by evil hands, the gifts of the Light can be twisted to obey those full of arrogance and malice, and even what is believed to be Good can be a mask for the corrupt to work their plots unseen.

It is about Justice, about protecting the weak, uplifting the downfallen, punishing the wicked. Justice above all - that is the code of the Paladin.

When you are a Paladin, you are the Shield for he who cannot defend himself, the Healer for he who is too broken to go on, and the Sword that strikes unerringly to slay the forces of evil.

To be a Paladin is to be Right. There is no pride, no arrogance in that statement. To Be a Paladin you are right, for you must not second-guess - because your choices are not made for yourself. You choose the harder choice because it will help someone, it will make a difference, rather than rid you of a problem.
When there is a law harming the innocent, you remove that law.
When there is a man abusing his position, you will undo his actions.
When there is a monster preying on the weak, you will destroy it.

To be a Paladin, there really is no choice you need to make, because you won't think, you will ALWAYS choose what is right, not what is easy.
Pray to the Light. Follow the law. Respect your fellow man, or whatever other lesser-than-these things you may do. All that matters is that you have faith in your actions. That they will one day make the world a better place.
>>
>>47736754
But being a Paladin is also about the small things, not only the great ones.

You give comfort to the sick, even if you are too weak to lay on hands. You build bridges and mend fences, sometimes literally, and help in menial tasks without complaint nor seeking of reward. You give counsel where it is welcome, and where that counsel is unwelcome you sacrifice your own dignity to soften others' hearts.

And above all, only when you discover there is no other option, nothing left of the person you're trying to save but a shell of a man hiding a monster, do you call forth that famous righteous fury and kick him so hard his body falls apart in two halves.

A paladin is a symbol of what he fights for. Some fight for country, some for glory, some to protect the innocent, some for vengeance and so on; what they have in common is their willingness to sacrifice of themselves for their cause. This is what separates a Paladin from other men: that in the same situation where a normal soldier would break, run and hide - the cause be damned - he will fight and die on his feet for what he believes in. Paladins are about ideals, not profit; struggle, not ease; truth, not politics. They are neither leaders nor followers because they walk their own path.

A Paladin is the last full measure of devotion a man can give to his purpose in life.

What makes a paladin so powerful is very plainly stated. Faith. Not in any gods, not in the laws of man. No these are empty meanings of the word. Faith that what the paladin does will always be just, will always be righteous, that he will put the needs of others before the needs of himself. That when surrounded by doubt and betrayal, he stands shining, the one last thing you can trust in the world.
>>
>>47736761
While it seems the word is ending around you, and all hope is lost, he is still there. He will help you, he will save you from the deep dark of evil; be it from the hearts of men or the mouths of devils. He is there so you will not give up. That you will stand tall against injustice. from him you gain hope, courage, and determination.

He is standing bold in his faith... so that you will not lose faith.

To be a Paladin... is to be a Hero in the truest sense of the word.

Faith is the Paladin's cornerstone, for without faith - that soul-deep trusting in how things beyond your power will work out for the best without your influence - they have nothing.

Yea, their faith in what they do can get shaken, dragged through the mud and spit on, but they never give up. They press on, in spite of this, because at the end of the day they know what they do will make a better world because of it.

A true Paladin might have lost their path many times, but they never lose the faith. He might be lost and forget why he fights, when he feels nothing can be done... then they'll find a thing... a thing so horrid that they know something must be done, and then they will remember why they fight. Then it's time for the Paladin to pick up his sword and get back to work.
>>
>>47736754
good shit go౦ԁ sHit thats some goodshit rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷM HO0OଠOOOOOOଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good shit
>>
File: paladin_holy.jpg (211 KB, 600x662) Image search: [Google]
paladin_holy.jpg
211 KB, 600x662
>>47736776
"I stand ready to defend the defenseless, to prevent the strong from preying on the weak. Undaunted in my faith, to pursue the uncatchable, to do the impossible; to stand where others will flee. Not for reward or glory, but because it is Right. By my strength and my faith I will not - I cannot - falter nor fall."

Paladins are the defenders of life. We know that there is a darkness that is trying to envelop the world and all life in it. We are the last line against that darkness. We are the last hope of the hopeless. When the bravest of warriors have turned and run away we still stand strong against a tide of destruction. There is no stopping Death - it can only be delayed... but if it costs me my life so that those I care about may live to see another day then that is the price I am willing to pay. I am the holy warrior who fights with the strength of their faith and the will of their life, shining in the darkness of the world like a lone bright candle in the vast blackness of the night - I am a Paladin.

Ordinary men are baptized in pure water. Kings and priests are baptized in blessed oils.

But Heroes such as these are baptized in the fire of conflict.
>>
File: ec41bbc8e6403f0791dcd7a00801dea9.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
ec41bbc8e6403f0791dcd7a00801dea9.jpg
530 KB, 1920x1440
>>47736754
>>47736761
>>47736776
>>47736792

And that's why Paladins are the best class.
>>
>>47736966
This inherently proves that paladins are the autist class
>>
>>47737004
Considering I actually am autistic (diagnosed as Aspergers late last year) I'll consider that a compliment, as the ideal of a Paladin is a kind of Heroism I feel is worth admiring.
>>
>>47736754
>That image
>Arthas's hatred and desire for revenge turned him into a monster as bad as all the monsters he'd killed combined
>Somehow he's an example for others to follow
>>
>>47736754
Look, just feed them on a steady diet of classic Chivalry and be done with it.

TLDR: model paladins on the exemplary members of the Round Table, and people like Roland.

Roland fell defending a pass against an impossible number of foes (Boromir is clearly modeled on this kind of feat) Gawain faltered in some respects, but ultimately made good on his oath and was very stalwart and brave in completing his quest.

Galahad was perfect. He achieved the Grail.

The most realistic option for most people in a world that resembles our own with people like us is being like Gawain, or Roland. Some will be like Galahad. Those who tragically fail by stepping off the path are like Lancelot.

He was impelled by a noble impulse, but took it too far, like Anakin, actually. Anakin is basically fucking Lancelot.

He done fucked up, but his son was better, more pure than he was.
>>
>>47736754
>A blood knight
>Concerned with justice, instead of mooching off of a being of pure goodness and light to impersonate paladin abilities

Sure pal.
>>
>>47736754

>that image

And then have to genocide a nation to bring back one of the dudes you killed back to (un)life, dumbass
>>
File: CPHB Ethos Chapter.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
CPHB Ethos Chapter.pdf
1 B, 486x500
The best guide to a paladin's ethos right here.
>>
>>47736966
more like the fruitiest class
>>
>because your choices are not made for yourself
That's why paladin is the most boring class.
>>
>>47737074
It's clearly a picture made by a drunk protadin to irritate the retardins.
>>
>>47737284
I think the top one is supposed to be this guy
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Arator_the_Redeemer
So not a blood knight
>>
>>47737422
No that's Thieves
>>
>>47737251
>blood knights
>doing any of that shit since the reignition of the Sunwell
The Burning Crusade ended eight years ago, anon.
>>
>>47737577
>>47737471
>>47737448
>>47737284
>>47737251
>>47737074

So many folks focusing on the image and missing the message...
>>
>>47736754
>>47736761
>>47736776
Oh GOD fuck you
>>
File: unnamed.gif (501 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
501 KB, 500x271
>>47737122
>>
File: classicblunders.jpg (19 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
classicblunders.jpg
19 KB, 234x216
>>47739795

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>47736754
>>47736761
>>47736776
>>47736792

Sorry mate that was a total load of wank.
You needed three posts to say "paladins are great" and then felate your throbbing opinion with that literary cum sock you call your vocabulary.
>>
>>47736966
I prefer to be lawful good of my own volition rather than be someone who does it for magic power
>>
>>47736754

>Glad I could make it, Arthas.
>I watch my tone with you, old man. I may be the prince, but you're still my superior as a paladin.
>As if you could forget. Yes Arthas, there's something about the plague I should know. ...Oh no, it's already begun. These people may look fine now, but it's only a matter of time before they turn into the Undead!
>What?!
>This entire city must be purged.
>How can I even consider that? There's got to be some other way.
>Damn it, Arthas! As my future king, order me to purge this city!
>I am not your king yet, old man. Nor should you obey that command even if I were.
>Then you must consider this an act of treason.
>Treason?! Have I lost my mind, Uther?
>Have you? Prince Arthas, by right of succession and the sovereignty of your crown, you must hereby relieve me of my command, and suspend my paladins from service.
>Uther! He can't just--
>It's done! Those of you who have the will to save this land, follow him. The rest of you... get out of his sight.
>I've just crossed a terrible threshold, Uther.
>...Arthas?
>I'm sorry, Jaina. You can't watch me do this.
>>
File: ArthasPaladinKing.jpg (166 KB, 889x1000) Image search: [Google]
ArthasPaladinKing.jpg
166 KB, 889x1000
>>47739942
That doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>47737122
I'm always the first one to defend my bro Roland but you can't forget he died because of his pride. Olivier told him to call for help, he refused, just as shit went down he wisened up but it was too late. He's still strong, brave, pure etc but he's not as exemplary as you claim.
Also Galahad a shit, Perceval's story is much more entertaining, literally nobody cares about Galahad.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.