[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 1465480505581s.jpg (8 KB, 249x161) Image search: [Google]
1465480505581s.jpg
8 KB, 249x161
What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

Let us speak of our favored splats. which is superior? more interesting? superfluous? poorly done? How would you want them to be different in 3e
>>
Anything 3e cocked up so far?
>>
File: 1463594666125.png (166 KB, 408x650) Image search: [Google]
1463594666125.png
166 KB, 408x650
>>47744316
Boring, mostly.
The charms section is still long as hell, with trash like this scattered throughout, craft system is now more than ever a giant pile of cock that the craft charms mostly exist to let you ignore, character generation still lets you pour 100xp down the drain, "Solar" experience has a stupid name as it can be spent on everything except Solar Charms, ten-step attack resolution has been soviet fixed by removing the step numbering, and there's a hundred small nuisances but nothing that makes me either hard or enraged.

It's better than 3e, in much the same way bread is better than burnt pancakes. I'm not tasting ashes, but I have no hope for greatness either, not when the corebook is still 700 pages of autism.
>>
>>47744702
I meant better than 2e, herp a derp.
>>
>>47744303
>Let us speak of our favored splats. which is superior? more interesting? superfluous? poorly done? How would you want them to be different in 3e

I always liked Abyssals conceptually, but the whole, "90% identical to Solars just wearing a trenchcoat" sucked.

I was looking forward to seeing how they would be revised in 3rd edition, but then I heard about Liminals and they tap more into what I was looking to get from Abyssals anyway.
>>
>>47744702
Hey id rather have one 700 page core than have to buy three books to play a game
>>
Every time I think I should read over the craft charms to see just the extent to which they let you ignore the crafting system, I remember that artifact and manse crafting is still a gigantic investment of ability dots just to be able to do it at all. Why would they make something like "I want to forge a daiklave" or "I want to erect a manse" such a narrow mechanic that you have to build an entire character around just doing it efficiently?
>>
>>47745551
The same reason you have you build your character around killing behemoths. Artifacts are fuckoff powerful of course they need massive investment to make.
>>
>>47745551
Craft (daiklave) doesn't exist, craft (artifact)does. And thats probably the least narrow concept there is, artifacts can be basically anything just make shit up
>>
if you were making merits/flaws for lunars would you include something like "obvious/subtle tell"? if so how would they work and what point value?
>>
>>47745719
If something like that existed i wouldn't have it be someone's tell is just somehow less hidden than normal because that raises the weird metaphysical question of if someone's tell is just sometimes less effective when they exalt. I would make it more 'someone who doesn't like you saw you do something and recognized your tell, now lots of people know'
>>
>>47745719
...What? Like 'so ridiculously over the top mutated it strains the magical disbelief field?' vs 'minor enough that even those aware of the tell might miss it by looking, hiding even from dedicated hunters but running the risk of your friends not knowing you either'?
>>
>>47746199
I don't like it.
>>
How's this for a homebrew Lunar charm tree? It's only six charms, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Strength

Invocation of Power
Str 2, Ess 1
Supp;Instant
Keywords: Dual
3m

Gain (Str/2) successes on a withering damage roll, or 1 successes on a decisive damage roll.

Ess 3: Increase the successes to (Str) on withering, and (Str/2) on decisive.

Destructive Barrage Technique
Str 3, Ess 1
Supp: instant
Keywords: Withering
Prereq: Invocation of Power
5m

Gain Target’s Onslaught as dice on a withering damage roll. If you deal more than your Target’s Stamina in withering damage, you can forgo that much damage to reduce your target’s Soak by your Strength. This charm can be applied up to (Str/2) times to a single target.

At Ess 3, this charm can be applied up to (Strength) times, but each application past the first (Strength/2) times costs 5 more motes.

Defense-Crushing Method
Str 3, Ess 2
Supp: Instant
Keywords: Withering
Prereq: Destructive Barrage Technique
10m, 1wp

Forgo twice your target’s Stamina in withering damage to reduce their Defense by 1 for the scene. This charm can be applied up to (Ess) times against a single target.

Mark of Lunar Strength
Str 3, Ess 2
Supp: Instant
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prereq: Invocation of Power
8m, 1wp

A decisive attack supplemented with this charm does not deal damage, but instead allows the Lunar to store min(Str/2, damage forfeited) health levels of damage. The Lunar can reflexively unleash the damage upon the target any time until the next time the moon sets. Only one application of this charm is valid per Lunar per target. If this charm is used twice by the same Lunar against the same target, refresh the time limit and choose the higher of the two usages to determine damage stored.

At Ess 3, the time limit is removed, and the damage stored is increased to min(Str, damage forfeited).
>>
Instant Punishment Method
Str 4, Ess 2
Permanent
Prereq: Mark of Lunar Strength

This charm permanently enhances its prerequisite. The Lunar can set up to (Ess/2) conditions on the target. When any of the conditions is met, the damage is unleashed or removed. The conditions cannot be split between unleashing the damage or removing it.

Varying by Degrees
Str 4, Ess 3
Permanent
Prereq: Instant Punishment Method

This charm enhances its prerequisite. The Lunar can split the conditions between unleashing, removing, and reducing the damage, and can reduce some of the damage upon fulfilling a condition, or unleash only some of it upon fulfilling another.
>>
question how bad of an idea is it to take 11 resistance charms with a brand new solar
>>
>>47747802
Supernal Res combatant? Just fine, as long as that's not all you're bringing to a battle.
>>
>>47747802

11 Charms is REALLY deep to go in any one Ability to start off; you're almost certainly overspecializing and would be better served by distributing some of those Charms to other Abilities, especially non-combat ones.
>>
Are all Lunar kids beastmen or can I just get some spooky looking humans? Like... they clearly aren't a panther-man but a blend of different things into a unique being?

Also where would the Goddess of Submission be in heaven's hierarchy?
>>
>>47747934
I think you have to bang an animal to get a beastman

she'd be bound in the back where she belongs. the rest of the time shes somebody's secretary who never does any actual work
>>
>When the character is a shadow, she is dematerialized and can only affect or be affected by other dematerialized creatures or by Charms and weapons capable of attacking dematerialized foes. If the wearer uses such a Charm or weapon while dematerialized, she can use it to affect a materialized foe.
I found it, I found the most broken thing in the game.
>>
>>47748151
No what I meant was where does she work?
Like Heaven has a bunch of different bureaucracies and I'm not sure where to place her....

I actually do have an idea for the goddess herself.
>>
>>47748234
I think that was a sex joke.
>>
>>47748226
And then someone lights up a torch and you pop out of shadow you were hiding in.
>>
>>47748337
Ah I see.
Still that would be a valid answer, undoubtedly there would be a god of submission or two that take that route of submission.
>>
>>47748462
Nope.

If somebody lights a torch, that means they can see me with a Per + Awa roll (diff 3). I'm still a shadow and I still count as dematerialized and I can still thwack them with Spirit-Cutting Attack 9000x until they die without them being able to do shit or fuck unless they can attack dematerialized opponents.
>>
>>47747802
only if five of those are ox body
>>
so tell me about your character /tg/
>>
>>47748509
Or they can just escape. Yeah, this thing is kinda crazy but if you make a slight investment in Stealth you should be able to kill any mortal without spending merit dots and commiting 5 motes. Also, if my player picked that thing up that would mean that any significant enemy from now on should have some way to deal with dematerialized enemies.
>>
>>47748685
picture don Quixote with super powers
>>
Would you play an Exalted game but with Creation having a technology level of the early 20th century?
>>
File: 1458505614787.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1458505614787.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47748694
>>
>>47748694
Hell yes I would. If you're doing this, I want in anon.
>>
>>47748713
>>47748725
It's just an idea I'm meddling with. How would the various city-states behave? Would they be fully-fledged nations instead?
>>
>>47748690
>Also, if my player picked that thing up that would mean that any significant enemy from now on should have some way to deal with dematerialized enemies.
And that's gay.
>>
>>47748685

He's a Dawn caste who exalted during a jail break and went on to command his fellow brigand and raider prisoners to take over the city they were imprisoned in.

Though the details are not elaborated, this ended badly, as while he is a brilliant military commander, he is not a statesman (yet).

After that failure, he took over a joke of a mercenary company and turned it into the premier shock-troopers of the South. Upon hearing of the Jiaran rebellion, he marched north east to throw in his lot and test he and his soldiers against The Realm.

So right now he's marching his soldiers and something like 25000 Jiaran militia he's trained into proper warriors to intercept House Mnemon forces before they lay a counter-siege of the city.
>>
>>47748754

'Named' city states would likely be the capitals of their own empires and nations, with other smaller 'unnamed' cities being under their control. The realm would likely still have its satrapies. The Guild and the Realm would be rival mercantile empires, and likely form opposing power blocks - Realm+Satraps vs Guild+Thresshold States. Those power bloc border lines would be the flashpoints for larger conflicts, up to a WWI level fracas if alliances are tight enough.
>>
>>47744702
>ten-step attack resolution has been soviet fixed by removing the step numbering

They did elaborate, in the final version of the book, that attackers declare charms before defenders unless specifically stated.
>>
File: dZyQgU7.jpg (281 KB, 909x917) Image search: [Google]
dZyQgU7.jpg
281 KB, 909x917
>>47748694
I ran a game with Creation having a technology level of the early 20th century.

Lunars were bolsheviks.
>>
>>47749030
Please tell me all about it. You got a pdf of somewhere you compiled info?
>>
>>47749052
This was years ago for a 2E game. One of my players homebrewed the gear for it though, I'll see if they still have it.
>>
>>47748685
Dawn caste. Former head of Chiaroscuro's secret police. Got betrayed, Exalted while beating the shit out of his ambushers, then the warehouse he was fighting in exploded. He's currently seeking proof of the traitor, and trying to find out just how deep the corruption runs before he reveals that he is in fact still alive.
>>
Hippocratic oath would be a major oath right?
>>
>>47748462
in a game where everybody and everything important glows
>>
>>47748694
do you have homebrew I can use right now? :)
>>
>>47749365
Major or Defining principle, I'd think.
>>
What do you roll for seduction?
>>
>>47749768
App/Cha + Presence
>>
>>47749768
It depends.
>>
>>47749768
usually
>>47749838
but performance if your doing a sexy dance or singing a serenade, and probably manipulation if youre trying not to be super obvious about it
>>
>>47749768
>>47750063
Or Linguistics if you're writing a love poem, or Craft if you're making them something in the hopes of gaining their attention, or Socialize if you're trying to convince the king you'd make a good wife/concubine, or...
>>
>>47748234
>Like Heaven has a bunch of different bureaucracies and I'm not sure where to place her....
In the Cerulean Lute, under Venus, the Maiden of Serenity, I'd imagine.
>>
>>47748685

A Zenith with supernal War who was a Realm levy who exalted after refusing an order to execute prisoners whom he'd promised protection. His dragonblooded superior officer was going to execute them herself to spare him the dilemma of breaking his word (which she thought was quite magnanimous!), but my character still took exception. Violent exception.
>>
looking at 2e lunar charms, which were considered must haves, and how many of those were must haves right out of chargen?>>47744303
>>
>>47750557
jeez, you try to do a guy a favor....
:(
>>
>>47748685
Zenith caste.
Thinks of himself as a schemer/builder, but really is just a chain of barely-recovered-from fuckups. partly he is aware of this, and resents the system of Exaltation for choosing imperfect beings.
Name of Ducat. Totem is 'Covetuous Serpent'
Currently working on forging himself into a vishvarupa version of himself after a fight with a fae caused it to assume his Heart's grace.
>>
>>47750639
*TWILIGHT.
FUCK.
Not zenith caste.
Also, exalted when he did some haruspicery on the City god, and realised he fucked up something beautiful, then managed to jury-rig a new, divine, pumping heart for the guy.
>>
>>47748685
Zenith caste, themed entirely around Bollywood. Supernal Performance (of course), uses Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style to fight with musical numbers.
>>
...huh. used ed's exalt tools for 2.5, made a heroic mortal, exalted him to lunar and ended up with immediate(and large) bonus point debt. had to drop ability scores.

how would you explain that sort of restructuring in setting? (or would you let the abilities slide and ignore that debt?)

(had earned no xp. mortal was intended to be used in a flashback/tutorial level to story's start where the freshly rolled circle meets)
>>
>>47750364
It's a fairly high ranking position. The Irony is not lost on her.
>>
>>47748685
King of a country that's ran out of a boat, Sorcerer, Eclipse Caste, wielder of Spring Razor, and generally ended up exactly where he wanted to be as a child.

Also, deals drugs to Fae.
>>
lunar totem has to be animal yes? even if you start play with the knack that lets you hunt plant hearts?

I am (not) Groot!
>>
>>47748685
>so tell me about your character /tg/
I'm playing a Zenith Sorcerer who exalted by having the sheer testicular fortitude to pull off an immortality Working. After spending most of the Working slowly, carefully loosening his soul, he pinned his shadow to the ground in the focal room of his manse, then cut his shadow off of himself.

The end result was a shadow-familiar which had half of his soul in it. As long as one lived, the other could heal at a natural healing speed from dead, because at least part of the soul would be in a living host. By the same token, putting half of one's soul in an immortal spirit has a way of rendering you immune to aging, though that's less relevant post-exaltation.

So, a sorcerer with a familiar to whom they serve as a mutual phylactery.

The character's currently in the process of trying to collect a basic stock of mystical resources, build a proper ritual chamber, make oaths and pacts with supernatural entities, and generally try to rebuild the magical resources that they thoroughly burned on their desperate quest for immortality.

The best part of all of this is that, if the Working had gone wrong enough, the character would have died outright, with their shadow/soul popping off as an absurdly potent sorcerously-produced Hungry Ghost.
>>
>>47751419
what about that spell that lets you steal or destroy somebody's shadow?>>47745719

Nah, if anything I'd rather see one for the power of a totem form
>>
>>47749768
Noting. The Red Rule means seduction only works if the other player wants it to, so rolling is pointless. Just roleplay it after discussing if it's ok with the rest of your group.
>>
>>47752809
>Nothing.
I bet you don't roll for pregnancy or sex quality either. Pleb.
>>
>>47748685
Dawn Caste. Princess of Vaneha and Sword Prince Gensuji's younger sister. Super wanted to exalt so she could try out the Imperial Daiklave. When Gensuji was afraid she might actually do it and kill him in a duel to keep it, he had her exiled into the Hundred Kingdoms under the guise of journeying to master swordsmanship. She Exalted a couple years later after training for three days straight to eliminate any flaws in her form.

She still really wants the Imperial Daiklave, and has every intention of dueling her brother for the right to have it. Of course, she's figured out that he's openly ruling Vaneha now, and that the Imperial Daiklave is a right of kingship. But if ruling Vaneha is the only way to get the sword, then that's what she'll do. If her brother (who is now the inferior swordsman) won't give her the sword she feels is rightfully hers, then she'll march upon Jibei with an army at her back.

Currently, she, along with the rest of the Circle, have become the champions helping defend the Hundred Kingdoms from the invading Vanehan forces. She's got the mad dosh and the army she wanted, and hopes to take Jibei before Calibration. But for right now that's the smaller problem, as it looks like we'll soon have a detachment of the Seventh Legion at our backs.
>>
>>47748685
Old retired Haltan assassin and hunter, stealth supernal, not sure about exaltation yet. Finds his lunar mate and a circle, they give meaning to his life and renewed vigor, harassing Realm forces. Fucks up because he's a cocky noob and they end up all killed. Runs away from a very determined and powerful Wyld Hunt, only place they wouldn't follow him was a Wyld pocket. He turns into groot, freaks out, then returns to bury his friends properly. Now he wanders the area in the shadows helping out here and there, searching for a new purpose to kick him into gear and back on track.

I'm shit at roleplaying, but I put a lot of thought into this, and it's the best I can do.
>>
a canticle for hope(thaumaturgy) wouldn't attract infernals and abyssals would it?
>>
One of a thousand mortal assassins trained all their lives, then sent to try and kamikaze the Scarlet Empress, only to arrive in the Imperial City in time discover her Redness had gone missing. Took up assassinating dynasts' mortal lackeys as a hobby. One of her targets happened to exalt as a Terrestrial just as she attacked; when she chose to stay and face down a demi-god, she counter-Exalted as a Solar, and kicked his arse. Currently infiltrating dynastic society (supernal Socialize) and trying to manipulate the nascent civil war to the benefit of her homeland.
>>
>>47755056
Is this for a comedy game?
>>
>>47752809
>The Red Rule
>implying you're seducing PCs, and not NPCs
>not using seduction as a weapon to further your political agenda
kek
>>
File: grief.gif (2 MB, 294x232) Image search: [Google]
grief.gif
2 MB, 294x232
>>47754254
>conquering a nation ruled by your own brother just because you want a swag sword
Good lord.
>>
>>47754977
It depends on whether or not you think it's a neat plot hook.
>>
>>47755124

No more than any other.
>>
>>47754254
>>47755241

It looks like Great Curse kicked in early.

Also don't bust someone's balls as long as his game group has no problems with it. I'm agreeing with you on the matter but still it is a dick move. Maybe he is young, still has a innocent view of what is cool and awesome.
>>
>>47755471
>Also don't bust someone's balls as long as his game group has no problems with it.
I think it's a great character if he's intentionally playing up a tragic arc of hubris and grief, actually. You know, assuming it's on purpose.
>>
Do you think lunar hero style(the expansion available only to lunars) should have more charms based on shapeshifting?
>>
>>47755056
Sounds neat. Make sure you have some connections with the other assassins and discuss with the GM who your master is (maybe a Lunar in disguise, a Gold Sid, etc.).

>>47755844
In 2e? Yes.
But don't play 2e.
>>
>>47755686
It's on purpose. I wanted a really Sengoku-Jidai-styled motivation for a character, and the blurb on Jibei got me thinking about a swordsman who thinks the Imperial Daiklave rightfully belongs to them while being completely oblivious of how crazy that sounds. At the start, she genuinely didn't get why anyone would have a problem with what she's doing, but I'm thinking raising and training an army of disenfranchised peasants and bandits, having to actually put up with them, helping start the circle's little empire amidst a bunch of infighting from a cluster of the Hundred Kingdoms and the rest of the party asking what exactly she plans on doing after taking over her homeland should start giving her a sense of responsibility soon. It's very possible that she'll decide that she likes her current sword just fine (or that swords are just an illusion or some BS like that) and actually turn into a proper leader somewhere down the line. It probably depends on whether or not she has a dedicated "Oh, man. Am I actually the bad guy around here?" moment.
>>
>>47751055
I remember seeing this guy from the drawthread a while back; did you ever get any art of them?
>>
Has anything besides dnd and 40k ever gotten a sticky for new edition?
>>
>>47756757
Probably not. Stickies are for things that are popular enough to spawn dozens of threads at one time.
>>
Can you have sex with a fire elemental without a charred dick?
>>
>>47756940
Element Resisting Prana exists for just that purpose.
>>
File: no sense of right and wrong.gif (23 KB, 600x263) Image search: [Google]
no sense of right and wrong.gif
23 KB, 600x263
>>47756628
>It's on purpose.
Then yeah, that's rad.
>>
>>47756940
>Can you have sex with a fire elemental without a charred dick?
Sure. Not all fire elementals are made of fire. Garda Birds, for example, are fuckhuge peacocks, and the fire crops up in their reproduction/immortality cycle.

This isn't D&D, where 'elemental' means a being comprised entirely of a platonic element. It's Exalted, where 'elemental' means that it's some kind of badass animal or person with an elemental theme featured prominent somewhere in it.
>>
>>47756628
Radical. Keep us informed on how that goes.
>>
I love how all those people saying that Ex3 being number one on Drivethru RPG was due to 'backer copies' have shut up now that it's still number one.
>>
File: TFG Portrait.png (207 KB, 750x1079) Image search: [Google]
TFG Portrait.png
207 KB, 750x1079
>>47756742
Yep.
>>
>>47758454
Is that a Solar Freddy Mercury?

I had no idea I wanted this until now.
>>
>>47758630
Right?
>>
>>47756940
Flame Butterflies and Fire Ducks. Neither is as furry as you might expect.
>>
>>47759069
Are her pubes literally fire?
>>
>>47754977
Worked on them the time I used it to get the circle together. Also worked on the Siddie, but only because some god ran panicked into his ofice to tell him some mortal chump had used it successfully
>>
>>47759069
Reading about the Fire Ducks made me feel kind of bad for them.
>>
>>47744303
I'm just starting to get into Exalted myself, and was wondering if it would be better to read the 3rd edition book for my introduction, or go through the old 2e book first to get a background. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>47760465
Read the Ex3 book. If you want some more background, check out 1E.
>>
>>47760482
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>47760482

I'd say some parts of 2e are good if you want more information, but 1e had more fluff.

Honestly I liked some things explained rather than the half assed "Don't bother explaining it, leave it full of holes and call it 'full of mystery!' as a buzzword."
>>
>>47761106
Some things are better unexplained for an RPG setting, though. Got to leave the GM room to add stuff, like the way the setting will never describe the last four deathlords or gives multiple answers to the question of who is the Lady of Pain (Emissary of Nexus).
>>
>>47744303
So I was thinking about the dead gods and lost exalted mentioned in Guidebook to Meru and the Autochthonous origins of Soulsteel and Adamant. I came up with an explanation that I think makes sense.

There are seven, let's call them, "glorious materials" that were chosen to attune the celestial exalted: orichalcum, lunargent (moonsilver), siderite (starmetal), jadeite (jade), styxite (soulsteel), adamant and gossamer. Autochthon build a prototype based on each material, except gossamer, according to the specifications of the Celestial Incarnate including several members who are now imprisoned or dead. There are three "lost" Celestial Exalted: the nocturnals (adamant), the psychopomps (Styxite), and the dreamers (Gossamer). There are many more lost Terrestrial Exalted (DBs are only one type of terrestrial), and probably more Celestial Exalted based on one of the original seven Alchemicals or whose prototypes were lost as well.

Does this make sense or not?
>>
>>47761175

True, but 2e added some new stuff, such as An-Teng for example.

I'd say 1e had better writing as was more flavorful, but had some bizarre design choices (EX: Talking in detail about how ships work, as if it was trying to be a GURPS Boats book or something).

I'd like to see a list myself of places that 2e added over 1e myself, but I can understand that's a lot of reading for one to do.
>>
>>47761106
Meticulously detailing the setting is kinda what the prequels did to ruin star wars
>>
>>47761431
>True, but 2e added some new stuff, such as An-Teng for example.
Uhhh An-Teng was in Blood and Salt, which was a 1e sourcebook.
>>
Any sly in jokes you did with NPC or PC names in your games?

Two of them I thought were somewhat funny.

- A Soulsteel Alchemical named "Inevitable Wall of Attrition", who has superheavy plate, all the soak charms, all the PD's and onslaught negators.

- An Abyssal in Nexus called "The Incarnation of Pain and Suffering", he was a Moonshadow that specialized in doing taxes for Merchant Princes travelling to various kingdoms.
>>
File: Solars whitewashed.png (1 MB, 1020x502) Image search: [Google]
Solars whitewashed.png
1 MB, 1020x502
>>
Was there ever an established Western or Eastern solar circle?
>>
>>47762983
swans fingers always make me feel things
>>
>>47762146
Eventide Radience. Twilight caste sorceress npc. Purple hair, super occult nerd. Has a purple, fire breathing lizard familia.
>>
>>47754254
What powers does the Imperial Diaklave have?
>>
>>47764201
No one knows. The Imperial Daiklave is mentioned in all of one sentence in the entire book. From page 91: "It is the city of the sword, home to the Imperial Daiklave that legitimizes the rule of Sword Prince Gensuji."
>>
>>47764299
I was wondering if they developed it past that.
>>
>>47751419
Why would that character exalt as a Zenith and not a Twilight?
>>
>>47764366

I'm sure they will in the settings books - perhaps Towers of the Mighty. None of the new locales are described in much detail, which is expected given the size of the final product.
>>
>>47759336
>Kiyo art
You need to ask?
>>
>>47761175
>Got to leave the GM room to add stuff
No you really don't, since making stuff up is free and putting it anywhere you want is also free.
>>
>>47764371
>Why would that character exalt as a Zenith and not a Twilight?
Because I wanted Supernal Survival, I wanted the Zenith ability to command a spirit to manifest, not all sorcerers are Twilights, and the manner in which you exalt doesn't have a direct bearing on your caste.

There are Eclipses who canonically exalted from combat, for example. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that a majority of canon non-Dawn caste members exalted in some way involving combat.

So, basically, fuck it.
>>
>>47761595
Nothing ruined Star Wars.
>>
>>47765431
>the manner in which you exalt doesn't have a direct bearing on your caste.
It should.
>>
>>47765482
>It should.
And yet it doesn't. Kidale, for example, exalted Eclipse during a fight where a Dynast and his cronies where trying to murder him. Nights don't have to exalt doing something sneaky/criminal, Dawns don't have to exalt fighting someone, Twilights don't have to exalt reading a book or some other dumb nerd shit, and so on.

Your caste is based on who you are, and what you're going to become - your potential, your future - rather than your present circumstances.
>>
>>47762146
I played a heroic mortal archaeologist/adventurer named Dakota Simidi for one arc in our group's dragon-blooded game, when my DB was pregnant and thus even less interested than usual in walking into a trap-infested deathtrap.
>>
>>47765467
Its creator sure did, and its fans helped.
>>
>>47765549
>Your caste is based on who you are
Clearly not
>>
>>47766011
Wrong
>>
>>47765549
I've always seen the Caste as typically how you approach problems and your over arching personality. Your methodology, things like that.
>>
>>47766437
Pretty much. And while that can obviously correlate with how you end up exalting, it doesn't necessarily do so. It's who you are and who you will be on a broad and grand scale, not the circumstances of a single event.
>>
>>47766823
So, for Over and Under Method:

1. Do you still roll the 'counterattack' against the enemy if your clash succeeded?

2. When resolving the counterattacks damage, do you deal HL damage like normal, then add the levels you did in damage to the Clash damage roll as extra dice?
>>
>>47766823
>>47767204
Sorry, didnt mean to quote you.
>>
>>47766823
I usually like it to line up with the moment of Exaltation at least decently well. Any Caste can do anything but how they approach it and the type of person they are should affect what their Exaltation looks like.

Easiest example is Dawns, I envision Dawns as the ones with the direct approach. They go straight in for the kill. Now they can still be socialites and still be intelligent but they solve problems with a direct method.

A Night meanwhile I feel should have a bit more of a roundabout approach, they don't have to be sneaky ninjas but the way they approach problems should be at weird angles. They decide on an odd approach whose logic is unexpected but gets it done. This is shown through their Caste abilities, lying, crime, stealth these are the non-direct methods typically employed by them but even if they were focused on combat the character should still have echoes of this mentality.

A Dawn archer defending his town from bandits might go for the leader because he wants to cut it off at the head, immediately solving the issue.

A Night archer defending his town might focus on the individuals to try and break their morale.

But then the Dawn might mow through the underlings to directly destroy the problem. While the Night goes for the head to try and break the group from such a surprising attack.

Both could do either but it's all how the character themselves, and therefore the player, contextualizes them.

This is all, of course, just my interpretation.
>>
New guy to exalted. How big of a threat are Dragon-Blooded for Essence 1-3 Solars?
>>
>>47768279

Incredibly variable. A circle of five combat-focused Essence 1 Dragon-Blooded could probably kill off a group of non-combat focused E3 Solars, if they managed to get into combat.

If the Solars are moderately combat focussed, they should be able to hold their own against an equal number of similar-essence combat-focussed dynasts.

If one or more of the Solars are hyper-focussed in combat (and have sufficient system mastery) they'll probably annihilate a circle of high-essence combat-focussed dynasts. If the Solars have synergistic combat builds, it becomes even more certain.
>>
>>47751418
>I am (not) Groot!
Yes you are. Also this gave me the hilarious mental image of a Lunar having sex with a tree.
>>
>>47751295
>Irony
Where does the God of Irony work?
>>
>>47768313
>If one or more of the Solars are hyper-focussed in combat (and have sufficient system mastery) they'll probably annihilate a circle of high-essence combat-focussed dynasts.
Fucking christ, no.

A dawn against a cirlce of high essence, combat focused DBs is in for a no-lubed fucking.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xjvIaYgOtw
How do I Thundercloud Formation?
>>
>>47768331

The highest statted DBs we have for 3E are the five Shikari (I think you need the leak for the complete stats). A hyper-optimized Dawn could absolutely take out all five of them.

Sure, fluff-wise a group of five elder DBs might be able to take out said Dawn, but given that there aren't any stats for those yet, it's rather an academic question. If you're home-brewing elder DBS, then their chances at taking out a combat monster is entirely dependant on your homebrew, and impossible to evaluate.
>>
>>47768420
Ok, let me phrase it this way, then:

If your idea of a fun game is literally no effort needs to be put forth ever, I'm fucking glad you won't ever be near the actual fluff of the fucking game.

Because every word out of your mouth is shitty and bad. Jesus fucking christ, ONE EXALT, no matter how fighty, should NEVER, EVER. EVER. Even THINK. About chumping five other also combat focused exalts.
>>
I'll try and elaborate on my question further. Solars are presented as gods among men and dragon-blooded are presented as solar's footsoldiers. That being said what are some examples of difference between peak of power Solar and peak of power DragonBlood? For example did Dragon Blooded Exalted needed ten, hundred, thousand warriors to kill First Age Solar warlord? If both DragonBlood and Solar can reach Essence 5. and they have same area of expertise, are they equally powerful or does Solar Essence 5 mean that DragonBlood should have Essence 10 and Charms level 10 to be at equal footing?
>>
>>47768527

Also I was throwing random numbers so you could get a hint of what I'm actually asking. How high or low are DragonBlooded and other Exalted on the scale if Solars are meant to be top of the food chain.
>>
>>47768331
Not... Really? Unless they are all wearing Super Heavy Artifact Plates all you need is one Iron Whirlwind.
>>
>>47768440
And yet the mechanics of the game say otherwise. So that means one two things: either the mechanics accurately model the setting and you're wrong, or mechanics are bad.
>>
How do I run Wyld Hunts in a manner that keeps the game interesting if/when they show up?

Because it seems that if the Hunters have a single fucking clue between the lot of them, they will try to stack as many cheap-ass no-interaction save-or-die gank-the-loner telekill ambush death-from-above bullshit maneuvers as possible. FIRST RULE OF WYLD HUNT: YOU DO NOT CHALLENGE ANATHEMA TO HONORABLE ONE-ON-ONE DUELS.

Which means I find myself torn between retarded Wyld Hunts, and unfun Wyld Hunts, a conuntrum I have so far avoided by mostly having the threat of the Wyld Hunt in the distance as a way to keep the PCs on the move.
>>
>>47768713
>FIRST RULE OF WYLD HUNT: YOU DO NOT CHALLENGE ANATHEMA TO HONORABLE ONE-ON-ONE DUELS.
No, that is the second rule of Wyld Hunts, the first rule of Wyld Hunts is not telling people about Wyld Hunts.
>>
>>47768757
That fruit is so low-hanging it's practically a testicle. Also, Wyld Hunts are a public religious institution, you can't not tell people about them.
>>
>>47768796
>That fruit is so low-hanging it's practically a testicle.
Why did that hurt me?
>>
>>47768440
But they do! That's how the game works, right now, judging from the quick characters. It's not a chumping, the dawn's not gonna win effortlessly, he'll have to expose himself to danger, risk losing or taking serious setbacks, but he can do it, if he's combat-focused enough.
>>
>>47768809
It is an omen that you are fated to be the Chosen of Geraxtuan, Eastern God of Low-Hanging Fruit, and you will go on mighty quests across the lands to protect balls from all who would kick them.

(How far is this from actual Exigents, guys?)
>>
>>47768344
How do you put two people inside a single three-armed monster? Uh. Start with that lobster-tank-submarine everyone loves so much, I guess.
>>
>>47769257
>>47768344
Wait for Arms of the Chosen, it'll have Warstrider rules.

>>47768713
>Because it seems that if the Hunters have a single fucking clue between the lot of them, they will try to stack as many cheap-ass no-interaction save-or-die gank-the-loner telekill ambush death-from-above bullshit maneuvers as possible. FIRST RULE OF WYLD HUNT: YOU DO NOT CHALLENGE ANATHEMA TO HONORABLE ONE-ON-ONE DUELS.

Ok, first consider who the specific Hunters are, their personalities and preferred methods.
Consider that they do not have access to said no interaction save or die things, besides maybe falling rocks, assassinating people in their sleep and poison.
Then consider whether they are taking the Solars seriously and what do they know about them. Usually this is not much, just a location, which they then investigate. If they know names, they would need to confirm that the person is Anathema (running away counts). Are they experienced with Solars specifically? Are they aware of the entire circle, some of the members or just one?
>>
>>47744303
>Superior
Infernals

>More interesting
Infernals

>Superfluous
Liminals

>Poorly done
Lunars

>How would you want them to be different in 3e?
Instead of a core book with literally PLACEHOLDER ART on the cover- hey, guys who purchased a hard copy, I hope you're loving your fucking PLACEHOLDER ART never updated, it's so evocative isn't it, Exalted, the game about a sad ambiguously Catholic ex-jester - that needs another two years of full open playtesting minimum and should never have been released in its unfinished state, we get a bitching core with Ligier on the cover and Luna's off to the side totally into it, and the book straight opens with some quotes from Lovecraft and a picture of Rebecca Borgstrom/Jenna Moran's beautiful smiling face before launching into a 2019-tier short fiction selection that concludes by introducing the protagonists and heroes of 3rd Edition, the Princes of the Green Sun, the Infernal Exalted.
>>
Is there a limit to how old the body parts used in a Liminals' creation can be?
I have an idea based off of what little I know about them for a character.
>>
What is some appropriate fluff for summoning various demons through thaumaturgy? for example what might you do to summon a stomach bottle bug? what about a living armor?
>>
>>47769493
don't think we have enough info to know, probably varies based on how well preserved and stored they were
>>
>>47769295
You really have to take into consideration that the vast majority of information on Anathema will focus on rogue gods, demons, actually just a db that's being a dick, or the lunar rebels. Solars haven't been out in a long time, and they're a very tiny minority of cases.
>>
>>47752809
why would you want to seduce another player?
>>
>>47769571
Oh yeah, Fae and mutants too.
>>
File: go on.png (140 KB, 340x247) Image search: [Google]
go on.png
140 KB, 340x247
>>47769493
Ask the GM.

>>47769419
pic related

>>47769536
IIRC the stomach bug likes poisons and alchohol and the living armor is homebrew.

A Green Sun Illuminates the Void had a cool stomach bug summoning in this chapter https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6654901/19/A-Green-Sun-Illuminates-the-Void
>>
File: ponder.gif (3 MB, 280x154) Image search: [Google]
ponder.gif
3 MB, 280x154
>>47769419
My nigga.
>>
>>47769419

I'm amazed how well you can speak with that cock up your throat.
>>
File: image-270840-full.jpg (178 KB, 560x725) Image search: [Google]
image-270840-full.jpg
178 KB, 560x725
>>47769841
Can you at least provide your own opinion if you disagree?
>>
>>47769620

>Fanfiction.net

Out.
>>
>>47769419
faggot
>>
>>47769899
What, you prefer Spacebattles or Sufficient Velocity? The anon wanted inspiration and I gave him some.
>>
>>47769883

1) Kill yourself for thinking Exalted 3e needed another two years in playtesting when the majority of it was completed. I was about ready to jump on over to another system before leak happened and proved me wrong. If you're talking about 2e Infernals being playtested, than you're lucky anything got playtested in 2e period outside of a few white room tests.

2) The rest of your post oozes the same Infernal masturbatory glorification that literally no other Exalt fanbase shows in the entire game except Lunars. Not only setting the bar unrealistically high, but painting them as the one true heroes of Exalted. I had enough of that bullshit, sarcastic and real, when Infernals 2e came out so I'm embittered on it now.

It's basically the same reason why a lot of people hate Undertale or FNaF. Sure the games may be great (I love then too), but the fanbase is fucking insufferable.
>>
>>47769959
You are assuming I'm >>47769419 which is not the case. I just like Infernals.
Most of the Exalted fanbase is terrible anyway, regardless of what splat they like.
>>
>>47769974

Fuck I'm tired.

Yes you're right on the post order.
>>
What do you people think of a non-Solar splat being the core splat? Is it a good idea? Which would be the best fit?

>>47769997
Go to sleep, cranky anon.
>>
>>47770026
Dragon-Blooded. They're the most relatable and adventure-friendly of the splats, yeah? and they come with a really cool dynastic society to play around with.
>>
>>47769419
>Instead of a core book with literally PLACEHOLDER ART on the cover- hey, guys who purchased a hard copy, I hope you're loving your fucking PLACEHOLDER ART never updated, it's so evocative isn't it, Exalted, the game about a sad ambiguously Catholic ex-jester - that needs another two years of full open playtesting minimum and should never have been released in its unfinished state

Look, more dev time would not have brought them more quality, seeing the post-glacial rate at which they changed shit between leak and release. If anything, Ex3 should have been released two years *earlier*, and then issued a 3.5 patch like the 2.5 patch after some time of "open playtesting" i.e. THE PLAYERBASE USING THE DAMN THING, rather than Holden and his harem.

I still remember the faggots at White Wolf (back when it was White Wolf, not Onyx Path) announcing in 2012 that Exalted Third Edition would probably be out this year. And then they pushed back and pushed back and set new dates and excused themselves and got cancer and got robocancer and got car accident cancer and generally demonstrated that they had all the publishing ability of a bowl of dicks, with a truck number (bus factor for you britbongs) of approximately zero.
>>
File: snek.jpg (382 KB, 1758x2346) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
382 KB, 1758x2346
>>47770150
So, what we're all saying is, Exalted should have had good developers.
>>
>>47769257
>How do you put two people inside a single three-armed monster?
It's actually three people, two controlling the legs and 2/3rds of the arms, and one in the back controlling the third arm and taking some of the load for the the guy controlling the left arm.

Mark 4 Jaegers are weird.
>>
File: crankyon3e.jpg (376 KB, 700x371) Image search: [Google]
crankyon3e.jpg
376 KB, 700x371
>>47770026

No! I still have time before my other nap!

And with all these new exalts around as well, I'm surprised they don't give us an exigent of trash to haul them all around in!
>>
>>47770164
Exalted should have had good management/direction.

Holden/Morke could probably have produced something much better, if there'd been someone willing to shoot down their stupid ideas, force open playtesting on them, and generally compel them to behave professionally. Those parts of the system that were good conceptually (combat, social influence, sorcerous workings) were executed well - it's the parts where the entire concept was off-base (Craft, Projects, Naval) and the bits where the devs were able to ostrich themselves away from feedback (BP/XP, stunts-as-Charms, etc) that got screwed up.
>>
>>47770322

I'm kinda puzzled at some of the dissonance, or splitting in people in how 3e should've been handled.

I mean people wanted less charms, but exalted was always a crunchy book. The amount of charms surprised me, but from the get-go I expected an amount similar to what we had at the end of 2.5e.

BP/XP is something they tried to split with Solar XP, and I can see what they were trying to do with Solar XP (Pointsink for sorcerous projects, MA, evocations, and abilities/attributes), and I'm well aware of how masochistic this sounds but I don't even fucking mind it at this point, even after that disaster of a thread in RPG.net.

Craft was trying to fix the Twilight problem, but even then they went too far in the other direction. I'd rather use the homebrew posted on the forums and just have the crafter stick to what basically amounts as a social contract.
>>
>>47770382
>even after that disaster of a thread in RPG.net.
???
>>
>>47770413
"We're not in the business of giving people bad rules they think they want."
>>
>>47770382
>The amount of charms surprised me, but from the get-go I expected an amount similar to what we had at the end of 2.5e.
IIRC devs said that there are more Charms in the Core but they probably won't introduce more official ones (not counting Miracles because that's mostly stuff that didn't fit in Core or backer rewards). 2E had small number of Charms at the beginning but it got obscenely bloated over the time, especially at the Solar front.
>>
>>47770382
>I'm kinda puzzled at some of the dissonance, or splitting in people in how 3e should've been handled.
3e has a lot of good core, functional engines. The issues are primarily a lack of editorial oversight and the utter lack of concern for how damn obtuse the system is to a new player.
>>
>>47770413

The one where holden went full retard and said he doesn't give bad rules to people who ask for them.

That entire thread was stupidity from nearly all sides. I probably only counted a handful of good points, and they were just screeched over and over again like parrots on both sides. And I don't mean posts like "Seconded", but people presenting the same problem in a different way, and ones who were reading the thread.

Christ, there were some people who expected Exalted 3e to be a lighter, fluffier game than 2e, despite Exalted always having a thing for crunch. Maybe they were expecting nWoD like mechanics? I don't know, but I left the thread after four pages and didn't look back, if I wanted brain cells to die I'd go to /pol/.

>>47770480

There will be new charms to adjust for system evolution I find, but honestly I don't think it'll be many or barely any. From a person who played 2.Xe exalted, its nice to see all the charms in one big pile rather than going through a dozen books, but I can see how new people are intimidated by such a thing with the massive fuckoff charm lists.

>>47770500

I'm still shocked by lack of a fucking storyteller chapter. L5R was blasted for having a similar issue, so no Vance having ST advice spread around the book doesn't make it good.
>>
>>47770382
>I mean people wanted less charms, but exalted was always a crunchy book. The amount of charms surprised me, but from the get-go I expected an amount similar to what we had at the end of 2.5e.

Yeah, but charms-for-charms-sake is just stupid. Huge-long pre-req trees that force you to take a half-dozen speed-bump charms to get what you actually want; charms that are nothing but dice-tricks endlessly replicated across 25 abilities (or even within abilities - looking at you Performance); charms that give you permissions to do something you could have done with a stunt anyway; charms that are so ludicrously niche nobody would want them (but are probably pre-reqs, so...)

It's not the quantity; it's the quality.
>>
>>47770567
>There will be new charms to adjust for system evolution I find, but honestly I don't think it'll be many or barely any.

Hopefully, that can be covered by splat-independant stuff like spells, Martial Arts, Evocations, and stuff. Honestly, most "system evolution" tends to involve combat, and that's where most of the hooks to hang new charms off exist.
>>
>>47770624
The quantity of the visible lack of quality?
>>
>>47768527
>For example did Dragon Blooded Exalted needed ten, hundred, thousand warriors to kill First Age Solar warlord?
It depends on how combat-focused each are. A Solar who put all of his charms into Introducing Facts via Lore, Sail, and Integrity isn't going to be a serious threat to even a chargen Dragon-blooded warrior no matter how high his Essence is.

If the Warlord mostly has War charms rather than Melee or other person combat styles and you catch him without an army, he's similarly fucked.

This question REQUIRES context or else it's nonsense.

>If both DragonBlood and Solar can reach Essence 5. and they have same area of expertise, are they equally powerful or does Solar Essence 5 mean that DragonBlood should have Essence 10 and Charms level 10 to be at equal footing?
Dragon-blooded are weaker than the Solar Exalted when they share and equal level of investment in the same specialty. Solars have better excellencies, better individual charms, and larger mote pools. A Melee Solar versus a Melee Dragon-blooded has better charms, bigger bonuses, and more motes before he's empty. The strength of the Dragon-blooded, in that situation, would be bringing four more Dragon-blooded to collectively beat him up.

The specific amount of extra support that a Dragon-blooded does or does not need in order to win is nuanced and depends on both the situation and the opponent. Against a Twilight with no personal combat charms, he can probably kill them with an Excellency alone. Against a Night who only has combat as a secondary or tertiary focus, a single combat-focused DB is probably a serious threat on an equal level with his opponent. Against a Dawn who's focused most or all of his charms in combat, the Dragon-blooded probably needs several other Dragon-blooded and an entire mortal army to stand even the slightest chance of victory.

Context is key, the situation is extremely nuanced.
>>
>>47769620
perroneles aren't homebrew
>>
>>47770677
I stand corrected. Where are they from?
>>
>>47768796
>Wyld Hunts are a public religious institution, you can't not tell people about them.
In 3e, a 'Wyld Hunt' refers to literally any posse of 2+ Dragon-blooded going out to murder something that is a threat to Dragon-blooded hegemony or society. A mortal sorcerer trying to turn people away from the Immaculate Faith? Anathema, kill him. Fair folk depopulating a mortal town? Anathema, kill them. And so on.

Most Wyld Hunts aren't the Realm sending ten Dragon-blooded experts and an entire legion of troops to go try to push in a Solar/Lunar's face, they're John and Jane Lost Egg grabbing their drinking buddies to go string someone up with whatever they have on hand.

So, the answer is that Wyld Hunts vary enough that you should probably just throw an appropriate one at your party.

For example, in the Dreaming Sea, the closest Realm satrapy is Kamthahar, a satrapy with a heretical Immaculate faith, which is a solid thousand miles away from the Dreaming Sea's coast, and which is so distant from the Realm that communication is occasional at best.

If you're doing shit in the Dreaming Sea and someone sends a Wyld Hunt your way, it's probably going to be a handful of Dragon-blooded pirates or something. Anything larger than that would be a force from distant Kamthahar who sent the best-organized hunt they could manage literally thousands of miles to reach you.

And that's not even counting the fact that almost anything you can do would make you less of a target than Ysyr, a nation ruled by sorcerers (anathema) who completely defy Dragon-blooded rule (anathema) and are steadily expanding their empire with their sorcerous might (anathema).

So, Wyld Hunts are variable. Wyld Hunts need to find out about you. Wyld Hunts need to decide you're the biggest threat of all. Wyld Hunts need to be able to even reach you.

Basically, unless you're in a near-Realm satrapy like Chiaroscuro or something, you're not in much danger.
>>
>>47770624

I admit quite a few charm trees could be slimmed down a bit. The plain worthless (Sail giving you a few measy dots of stamina for breath holding when it should be far more), the repetitive (As shown in performance, double 9s could be just one charm), and the just plain crap (I liked most of Volcano Cutter from the leak, but the Call of the Blade line was so horrifically situational yet it acted like that should be one of your main combat paths), and some things which just had a sledgehammer taken to the knees (A charm to help reduce training time would've been perfectly fine, or hell some method to teach fast without spending XP).

I do think some of the dice tricks are neat through. Quite a few times as an ST I've had a stealth player remain cloaked when their opponent rolled two 1s, or Excellent Strike turning three failed dice into an actual hit/negate 1 penalties.

Can you give an example of stunt charms though? I'm curious what charms could be replicated just by stunting.
>>
>>47770769
>I do think some of the dice tricks are neat through.
I think dice tricks are neat as a mechanic, but just a single dice trick is not worth a whole charm dedicated to it. It's boring. They should be something extra, or the main benefit of the charm should be to give you a whole bunch of them, or only activate if they trigger.
>>
>>47770769
>Can you give an example of stunt charms though? I'm curious what charms could be replicated just by stunting.

Unsurpassed Sight Discipline: "This Charm permanently upgrades its prerequisite. The Exalt has the eyes of the steeliest raptor. She can spot a field mouse a mile away, read a letter at a hundred yards, and critique the mating habits of insects. In zero visibility environments - such as a silt cloud in the belly of a sunken ship - she sees as if she were in a dense fog, using the rules of Keen Sight Technique. She may pick a face out of a crowd with a casual glance, predict a flash flood by counting distant raindrops, and tell if someone is alive by seeing the blood flow through his skin."

All of that stuff is the sort of thing a high-Awareness Solar should be able to attempt without needing a charm to enable it. Tell if someone is alive by seeing his blood moving? Sure, difficulty 6, 1-point stunt. Use charms, and roll.

There's a lot of that that's combined with a fairly minor perk, like double 9s, or a mote discount.
>>
>>47770685
Roll of Glorious Divinity II: Ghosts & Demons, pp. 85-86
>>
>>47770919
Thanks, mate.
>>
>>47770897

This where I'm going to somewhat disagree with you here.

Some effects, such as picking a face out by a glance, yea sure that's a stunt. Hell I'd even allow the field mouse thing as difficulty 5. But seeing blood flow through the skin, reading a letter at a hundred yards? I don't see that happening unless you are superhuman, so I'd definitely require a charm for something like that, or raise the difficulty on that much higher to the point where using a charm is needed unless you blow a ton of dice and are lucky that day.

The main thing I'd find to be a stunt would be the "teach anything" charm in Lore.
>>
>>47770995
In the situation where you'd want to tell if someone's alive, you could just see if their heart is still beating, which you can do IRL if their clothing isn't too loose.
>>
>>47771038

Yes, but by quite a few ways, which I'd probably say as a medicine roll. If you take Awareness and that charm however, you could just simply glance and tell if they're still beating or not.

Or just make a custom medicine charm that tells you how many HL's someone has left which I see people do all too often.
>>
>>47770995
>But seeing blood flow through the skin, reading a letter at a hundred yards? I don't see that happening unless you are superhuman, so I'd definitely require a charm for something like that, or raise the difficulty on that much higher to the point where using a charm is needed

Well...you are superhuman, and you do have charms. If you have Unsurpassed Sight, you already have a whole heap of charms that let you add scads of dice and dice tricks to let you perform superhuman feats of visual acuity.

Given that "reading a letter in complete darkness by feeling the texture of the ink" is given as an example of a difficulty 5 task, and that by this point, you could be throwing 20+ dice, re-rolling 9s and re-rolling 6s until they fail to appear, you really should be able to accomplish that sort of stuff without a specific mother-may-I Charm requirement. That's the whole point of having a difficulty system.

Incidentally, I dislike all the "perfect effect" charms (Flawless pick-pocketing, Ten Magistrate Eyes, etc) for the same reason.
>>
>>47771038
You are missing the point. There are improbable things you can do with just enough dice and luck. Hell, the examples given for difficulty 5 mention reading in complete darkness by touching ink. That's fine and dandy but there still should be a limit. Some things are just impossible if you don't use magic and Essence, no matter how skilled you are.
>>
>>47769582
The ST is also a playe
>>
We will play a mortal campaign with another system. In Lore, what beings are too strong for mortals and which can be defeated?
>>
>>47771298
>In Lore, what beings are too strong for mortals and which can be defeated?
It depends on how big of an army you have and how badass you are.
>>
>>47771544
>>47771298
And how cautiously and intelligently you can plan things.
>>
>>47771298
>which can be defeated?
Solars who have no combat charms can be killed by a mortal with a good Melee score, for example.

But in general, ghosts of other mortals is pretty much the top tier that they can stand up to, and even then you probably need an exorcist. Maybe a weak elemental, if you're really good and also fairly lucky.
>>
>>47770897
>All of that stuff is the sort of thing a high-Awareness Solar should be able to attempt without needing a charm to enable it.
Nice houserules, bro.
>>
>>47771794
>I haven't read the difficulty chart.
>>
>>47771563
First circle demons are still doable
>>
>>47771929
Why would you try making such a ridiculous argument when the book is so easily accessible? The only thing that even comes close is the ability to read by the feeling of ink in pitch darkness.
>>
>>47772006
And it's only difficulty 5. Just make those things higher than that.
>>
>>47772047
Nice houserules, bro.
>>
>>47772072
>nothing can be more difficult than 5
eks de
>>
>>47772072

Higher than difficulty 5 is something even Morke admitted doing.
>>
>>47768279
depends mainly on two things
1. is the DB focused on combat
2. how old is the DB
>>
>>47772118
It can be, at your table. It's houserules though.
>>47772121
So Developers can't have houserules? If you link me where he said that this is how the game is supposed to work, I'll concede that I'm wrong.
>>
>>47772164

In the backer charm PDF he said that he'd often do things like "Occult difficulty 10: Biology of the Incarnae" before a game, despite the game manual saying that difficulty 5 should be a limit.
>>
>>47768440
Moron.

>>47768420
The highest stated DBs we have for 3E are quick characters explicitly told to be young and, if certainly combat focused, still not high essence or Elder tier.

Thus >>47768313
>they'll probably annihilate a circle of high-essence combat-focussed dynasts

Is not tenable. We don't have any example of any high-essence combat focused dynasts. None whatsoever. What we have, is young Shikari of the Wyld hunts, who are adequately combat focused.
>>
>>47768420
They all have essence 2, and i thought the experienced dynast or whatever its called had essence 3?
>>
>>47768573
to be fair all the info we have on DB's right now is in the form of quick characters, who whole purpose is to show up for one scene, job, then never appear again.
>>
>>47772328
I am amazed by the ability of some people to forget than quick characters are not the pinnacle of everything that an Exalt can do, but indeed, weak Exalts by all mean.

It's even written in the book!

Or not. I didn't check in the released book, to be honest. Could be that they removed them like they removed the Evocations. But it was in the book at a time.
>>
>>47770897
>In zero visibility environments - such as a silt cloud in the belly of a sunken ship - she sees as if she were in a dense fog, using the rules of Keen Sight Technique.
This line is the only one from USD that seems to have actual mechanics, and it lets you see in the dark.
The other two Unsurpassed (Sense) Disciplines have some nice charm-y effects though.
>>
File: naughty mnemon.jpg (256 KB, 953x977) Image search: [Google]
naughty mnemon.jpg
256 KB, 953x977
What's going on here?
>>
>>47771980
>First circle demons are still doable
They're absolutely not. A first circle demon can dematerialize at will. That alone means that the only way for mortals to realistically defeat one of them is if it engages in frankly-suicidal behavior.
>>
>>47772507
Don't demons have some sort of weaknesses that work against their dematerialized forms as well, like salt?
>>
>>47772507
But it being dematerialized means it can't meaningfully interact with physical world. So beating demon up so much he HAS to dematerialize means you won. At least that one battle.
>>
>>47772505
Mnemon has used her crown to summon a second circle demon of rape, obviously to have a good time, looking at her garment.

Unfortunately, as essence 7 badass as she is, she's still a dragon-blooded, and the second circle demon of rape (TENTACLOUS, Lusting soul of Erembour, That Which Call in Shadow) just broke free.

Now she's quite in a pickle, and will pass an interesting next fifty years.
>>
>>47772539
>Don't demons have some sort of weaknesses that work against their dematerialized forms as well, like salt?
Nope. Demons and gods, once dematerialized, can only be affected by other dematerialized things or an exalt using a 'hit dematerialized things' charm. That's why vulnerable-to-lots-of-things ghosts, can't-dematerialize elementals, and weak fair folk like goblins and such are usually the peak of what mortals can realistically defeat.

>>47772575
It really doesn't. Shooting the Terminator enough that you can escape for now doesn't mean you beat the Terminator. It means you survived for now until it comes back again later. Demons are effectively the Terminator to mortals - you can survive it, but it can just dematerialize and come back again later, and unlike a mortal it has Exalted Healing.
>>
>>47772505
"Party Time"

Basically it's an alternate history version of the 1e story where Mnemon summons a 2CD, it calls bullshit on some mere DB calling him, and she whips out the Emerald Thurible and gloats
>>
>>47772507
they can only do that by blowing half their mote pool. If you engage them in any serious way they need to decide to either go all in and spend motes which assures they wont be able to dematerialize or to just do it right now and run
>>
>>47772634
>they can only do that by blowing half their mote pool.
No, the initial materialization is what blows half their mote pool - a materialization they've likely recovered from by the time your mortal is facing them, unless you're exceptionally lucky or clever. Dematerializing again only costs a quarter of their mote pool - half of a half.

That's an amount that's easy to hold in reserve, especially when you're regenerating 5m per turn in combat.
>>
>>47772605
>are usually the peak of what mortals can realistically defeat.

Don't forget the thaumaturgy that allows you to trap demons for one year and on day. I would call it a win, and a thaumaturge is by all mean a mortal. A group of mortals working with one thaumaturge can 'defeat' a demon.

I would even allow a materialization thaumaturgy. Difficult, costly, time-consuming, dangerous, but allows you to call upon ghosts, demons and gods to force them to materialize. It's GM fiat though.
>>
>>47771980
depending on the demon.
Like a blood ape will usually win, but those weird insect nerd creatures from compass malefeas i think probably wont be able to leave a scratch on a well trained mortal even if they constantly materialize and dematerialize
>>
>>47745331
>"90% identical to Solars just wearing a trenchcoat" sucked.

I liked Abyssals and Infernals being different dark mirrors of Solars.

Abyssals being the same mechanically, but having themes and morivations that are radically different, seeing as they are basically agents of an already established empire.

Infernals share the thematics and motivation of working to undo sma vast act of treachery and reestablish the legitimate order of the universe, but mechanically infernal charms are spooky nonsense and totally different.
>>
>>47770624
Getting rid of every charm that just offers mechanical benefits to regular roles only leaves charms that either allow for new things to be done, or charms that perfect a mundane type of roll. Those types of charms were the root of almost every problem 2e had.
>>
>>47770897
Im pretty sure what the charm is saying is now you can do all those sorts of feats just automatically, no roll required.
>>
>>47772214
that bit where he says "despite blablalba" that means its a houserule
>>
>>47772918
>Im pretty sure what the charm is saying is now you can do all those sorts of feats just automatically, no roll required.
Which is good... why? The chance of not being able to do that with a reasonably-sized dice pool - especially once its dice trick prereqs enter the equation - is hilariously low. The problem with charms like that is that they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
>>
>>47772605
thaumaturgy makes weapons that can hit dematerialized demons
>>
>>47773024
Not in 2e
>>
>>47773071
Probably meant in 3e.
>>
>>47772505
my fetish
>>
>>47771298
Why would you play mortals?
>>
>>47773107
It can't do that in 3e.
>>
How monstrous can god-blooded be?
>>
>>47773358
However monstrous you want. If Ahlat fucks a crocodile, for example, you're going to end up with some terrifying scaled bull-man-crocodiles, for example.
>>
File: g2g operate.jpg (193 KB, 864x702) Image search: [Google]
g2g operate.jpg
193 KB, 864x702
>>47773224
Not that anon, but playing mortals is great in Exalted. You have these super powerful, hyperfast, mega intelligent opponents every which way, and all you can have against them is good old fashioned cunning, luck and pic related.

>>47773358
They can be not human. Gods can absolutely pull a Zeus and fuck animals to produce godblooded horses, for example.
>>
>>47773358
God-bloods are just mutations stacked onto human base models. So anything and everything - they can be human+, teletubbies, insane crab-penis-fire monstrosities and anything in between
>>
>>47773332
498-499.
>>
>>47773403
>all you can have against them is good old fashioned cunning, luck and pic related.
All three of which they have in spades more then you.
>>
Has anybody completed the swallowed darkness style? if so has it been ported to 3e?
>>
>>47773358
Physically speaking? Not very usually. Demon blooded go that route.
>>
>>47773706
Yes. No.
>>
>>47773403
But why would a god want divine horse offspring?
>>
>>47773926
Legs for days.
>>
>>47773926
I dunno, maybe he's the god of horses.
Maybe he's the god of messengers and wants the best possible horse for his Chosen.
>>
>>47773926
You realise that Zeus literally rode a god-blooded horse?
>>
>>47773983
Fuck, meant to say Odin.
>>
>>47774062
And Loki made it.
>>
When you kill a second or third circle demon with a spirit killing charm that is not the current Fetich Soul of their Yozi can they be replaced with another demon or is that soul gone forever?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.