[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: 1410956431778.jpg (20 KB, 117x296) Image search: [Google]
1410956431778.jpg
20 KB, 117x296
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Tell me about your experiences with the AL or gaming with strangers.
>>
>>47760390

I played a session yesterday with four complete strangers and only one other dude I knew. We set up the game through the internet and basically didn't know each other.

It was surprisingly good. The DM was great. He basically went in with little to zero set up and was able to fit most of our character concepts within his campaign in the bat of an eye. Also made theater of the mind work beautifully.

Very positive experience overall.
>>
That's a particularly shitty OP image.
>>
So, is this thread really the new 5e general thread? If it is, this is that would-be homebrewing idiot from the last version of the thread. I was wondering; I were to open the floor to requests, out of a sincere interest in trying to update/convert races from older editions or even Pathfinder, would anyone be interested in that?

I still need to double-check my written conversions so far, make sure they're remotely balanced, but I'm enjoying the chance to hone my skills.

On a different topic, I know this is technically a world-building matter, but since A: I want it for a 5e D&D setting, and B: the worldbuilding general thread never gives me any answers, but would anons mind if I asked for some help with setting up a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting?
>>
>>47760776
I'd be willing to take a look at setting stuff, though try and keep it brief and just ask the questions you're having trouble with. No need to dump the entire setting and clog up the thread.
>>
>>47760823
So, I'm working on a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting, with the basic background being "world war between magocracies blew everything to hell/warped it into a hellhole", sort of a Eberron (Mournland) meets Fallout setting. I got the background lore fairly clear, but I'm having trouble figuring out the races. Folks mind giving me opinions/ideas? These are the ones I currently am contemplating.

Humans - The Old Race, one of the three who fought in the Great War, survivors and everymen. Invented wizardry, created the warforged, shamelessly reverse-engineered magic from the Aelfar and Uvandir.

Aelfar - The "elves"; originals were High Elves with a culture focused on life magic & death magic, travelled from "Aelfheim" on magical starships made from plants ala Spelljammer. Some went underground after the Black Dawn and have mutated since then into the drow. Unusure if there's only drow or not.

Uvandir - Hill Dwarves with a cultural fondness for Elementalism of Storm, Earth and Fire. Masters of enchanting items and alchemy. Unsure if they've survived, or mutated at all.

Kobolds/Dragonborn - The world had dragons, but they were arrogant bastards who didn't want to get involved with "lesser races". "The Glow" (magical fallout/FEV equivalent) poisoned their eggs, producing kobolds, who now desperately seek a way to ascend to true dragondom. Dragonborn are one-in-a-thousand kobold mutants who they near-worship as being closer to dragons.

Warforged - Sapient golems created by humanity towards the end of the Great War as soldiers. Outliving their war, they now seek to find a new purpose and recover creation-forges to ensure their species can survive.

Orks - Descendants of elves captured by dwarves during the Great War and alchemically mutated into slave-soldiers, until they turned against their masters. Non-evil, but Wicked Fantasy inspired (struggle with blood-lust, philosophy around the holiness of struggle, worship pain, etc) and not very fond of dwarves.
>>
>>47760924
Cont for lack of space.

"Ratfolk" - Humanoid rats inspired by Final Fantasy's Burmecians. Evolved from normal rats innundated with the Glow whilst breeding in the ruins of a human city-state. Forming their culture around the intact texts in the libraries, they're a race of would-be noble warriors and philosophers.

Aranea - Originally spiders engineered by the Aelfar to tend their libraries. Evolved into sapient, magical, shapeshifting spiders as a combination of Glow-induced mutation and a lack of masters to keep them in check.

Genasi - Humans mutated by rampaging, out-of-control elemental energy, or born in areas where elemental energy is out of control. Possibly add more variants like Storm, Metal, Wood, Abyssal or Dread to represent how screwed-up this world is.

Shadar-kai - Elves mutated by over-exposure to necromantic energy during the Black Dawn, turning them into half-living shadow-elves who need stimulation to stay alive.

Merfolk - Humans who tried to find a new place to live by mutating themselves to live underwater. Probably use Zendikar stats, say they can shapeshift between tailed and legged form so they can be relevant.

Sahuagin - Merfolk offshoot who imbued themselves with shark essence to become the guardians and hunters for the merfolk enclaves.

Beastfolk - I can see gnolls, minotaurs, lupins and rakasta kind of working as "random mutations born from the animal kingdom" in this world, but I don't know if they're not stepping on the shoes of existing races.

Anyway... any critiques? Suggestions for other races I could add by spinning off mutations/adaptations of elves, dwarves or orks?
>>
Would someone mind posting the Martial Options PDF? New computer.
>>
File: Martial Options.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Martial Options.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47760962
>>
File: 1443566069628.jpg (30 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1443566069628.jpg
30 KB, 400x358
>>47760558
Bruh the other "general" is completely unusable because of its image. Making the image uninteresting and irrelevant is a design feature, not a flaw :^)
>>
>>47760924
>>47760936
Sounds to me like you have quite a variety going on as is. I think you could easily cut out everything in the second post and still have a good selection.

I would personally cut out the ratfolk, spiders, shadar-kai, and merfolk, or at least put them all under the general umbrella of beastfolk and make them non-playable. Its the post Apocalypse, but that doesn't mean it's all mutants all day. That also gives you the freedom to selectively add in things like harpies or whatever without needing them all established, since any monster can be an experiment or mutation.
>>
>>47761038
But this general may force people to roll for Oral attributes.
>>
>>47761126
Sounds entertaining
>>
>>47761126
Please anon. I'm struggling with the urge to run a full Lewd Magical Realm game as it is.
>>
>>47761126
Where's BoEF when we need it?
>>
>>47761042
Why would you suggest cutting the races down? I do appreciate the input, but I kind of like the option to go a little nuts with the races; what better setting to move away from the standard fantasy lineup of human/elf/dwarf/token redeemed monster/cutesy shortfolk?

Also, like I said in the first post, I'm still not sure if I should make elves & dwarves playable or not, so I'd like to hear opinions on that.
>>
I just played my first game of fifth edition after roughly four years of 4e.

God it's so much better. Everything is easier to understand and there's less shit to worry about.

I suppose it also helps that there aren't fifteen quadrillion supplement books out yet, so it's less to think about when playing and dming.

honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is an equivalent to Mordekeinens vault for 5e.
>>
>>47761559
Hmm...well, it depends on if you're okay with the entire party running around as mutants and weirdos. In a post Apocalypse, that can spell trouble for entering settlements, depending on how much society has degraded.

If you want everyone to be mutants, then go all in with it. Having the non-mutated versions as non-playable would help with that as well.

I just tend to find having a bunch of race options makes players focus to hard on the mechanics and less on what would be a cool character
>>
>>47761644
I honestly wish more RPGs, whether tabletop or vidya, would just stop adding boring ass humans. It's a fantasy game, stop roleplaying as "myself but cooler."
>>
>>47761559
Not him, they can still be "there" but having all of those as PC races feels a bit bloated. There are 9 races in the PHB and even those don't feel great. There is a reason the origin of teiflings and dragonborn seem to change damn near every edition- they don't have a very unique identity. Adding more races just compounds the bloat.

What makes the ratfolk/merfolk/sahuagin so damn different from the umbrella term beastfolk? Why do the shadar kai need their own race when they are just an elven subrace (and probably not all that different from the drow honestly).

You can include a random settlement the PCs come across made of water buffalo people or whatever, but there is no need to make each thing a player race, nor any need for the PCs to have the same working knowledge of them as they do the other PC races. (Most players have no idea how yuan-ti work for instance, and its fine to just keep it that way. Bring it up in the narrative if it ever becomes important)
>>
>>47761559
I'll add my two cents and say a DM can often put too much on his plate. Personally, I'd want to have my players be able to visit a stereotypical (insert race)'s city and then a few 'normal' cities. That leaves a lot of planning for nothing in particular.

As for your races, I think they're pretty much fine. Just remember balance when you want to stat them, and don't write your races into corners and expect your players to play a race a certain way. Most times players will want to be unique snowflakes but having them play a race and be completely opposite of it's theme is jarring when they're showing their party around their hometown.
>>
So, how do I kill someone without anyone suspecting anything, having Invisibility, Hold Person and Disguise Self? I also have Enlarge/Reduce, in case I need to carry the body since I have 8 strength, though it'd be best to get rid of it on site.
>>
>>47760390
Blade Master + Tunnel Fighter = permanent +1 hit, permanent +1 to AC, and unlimited advantaged attacks of opportunity.
>>
>>47761640
dude that spell is in the PHB. its 7th level wizard/bard.
>>
>>47762010
All of those are concentration spells, can only have 1 up at a time
>>
>>47762010
>>47762115
Except disguise self
>>
>>47762108
I was talking about the 4e book with all the high level enchanted items, The magnificent emporium. Don't know why I called it a vault
>>
>>47762115
Yeah that's some of the trouble, if I could just invis in, knock him out using hold person and attacks, Reduce him to be able to carry him, and then invis out again that would be nice. Getting out is the big problem I think, I can't invis him because then I can't carry him and I can't Reduce him because then it will look suspicious.
>>
>>47762205
Do you know acid splash? You could dissolve the corpse
>>
>>47762010
Be a sorcerer. Grab the metamagic feat subtle spell. Phantasmal Force is probably your best bet from there. It would probably look like he died of a heart attack or something to the people watching.
>>
>>47762232
Nope, just fire bolt, shocking grasp and GFB for damage cantrips.
>>
>>47760390
I personally love AL. The people are nice and generally speaking solid players and DM's. I've learned a lot about being a better DM and player by playing in AL, and I enjoy all the new friends I have made. I'd recommend to everyone here to check out your local AL groups. I can't promise the exact same results but it's a better option than roll20 and other online options imo.
>>
>>47762264
What about non-damage cantrips?
>>
File: 1462497596346.jpg (145 KB, 628x1273) Image search: [Google]
1462497596346.jpg
145 KB, 628x1273
Nub player here, how to open hand monk? Any special shit of feats you need? Apart from putting every possibility upgrade into DEX I mean?
>>
>>47762279
Thaumaturgy, Presti, Dancing Lights, Resistance, Spare the dying, Guidance. I did just remember my white lotus powder though, which when inhaled makes people braindead, obeying all orders they're given. So I guess I tell him to go outside the village, invis after him, kill him and burn the body.
>>
>>47761725
>stop liking what I don't like.

People have varrued tastes anon, and for some its generic human.
>>
Re: 2-weapon fighting

Does anybody see an obvious problem with requiring only the offhand weapon to have the Light quality? I had a player ask if he could go rapier/dagger and I can't see a reason not to let him.
>>
>>47762296
no thats pretty much it
some guys like the feat "mobile" but its not as good as increasing dex and then wis.
>>
>>47762296
Max dex and wis, take mobility so you don't have to disengage and can run faster, and hope you don't get cornered or surrounded.
>>
>>47762322
> Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation
lel
>>
>>47762322
Don't forget prestidigitation to clean the crime scene.

Also, if you have mind control powder, Invis in, make him take it, then order him to lock the door and kill himself after you leave.
>>
File: 1462416278957.jpg (103 KB, 600x1086) Image search: [Google]
1462416278957.jpg
103 KB, 600x1086
>>47762330
>>47762340
Kk, but won't Step of the Wind take care of disengages?
tnx anyhoo!
>>
>>47762326
its not horrible and dual wielding sucks anyway, but i don't really get who would want this except a rogue who wants that sweet sweet 1d8 over 1d4.
>>
>>47762344
Just using Pres as a discount minor illusion really, my cantrips are not the best.

>>47762356
Yeah gotta make sure it's nice and clean. The mission is to kill him with my sword to make it more powerful, so I can't just set his house on fire, make someone else kill him (got some powerful political allies) or make him kill himself.
>>
>>47762326
There's basically no conceivable reason not to houserule in the old size difference option for dual wielding.
>>
File: 1454466786579.jpg (89 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1454466786579.jpg
89 KB, 750x1000
>>47762360
(me: >>47762330)
hypothetically you don't want to spend ki on that ever because you want to save it for flurry and stunning strike.
i still think dex and wis is better than mobile tho, but you wouldn't gimp yourself if you decide to take mobile.
i think which is better actually depends on how your gm likes to design combats and stuff, and how your party plays.
>>
File: face thumbsupdude.gif (481 KB, 141x141) Image search: [Google]
face thumbsupdude.gif
481 KB, 141x141
>>47762408
>>
>>47762367
>dual wielding sucks anyway
Yep, more-or-less exactly my thoughts anyway.

Thanks, anon.
>>
File: Abyss-Touched Sorcerer small.png (3 MB, 1042x1474) Image search: [Google]
Abyss-Touched Sorcerer small.png
3 MB, 1042x1474
Just finished up the first in a series of abyss-themed class options last night. Interested in hearing your opinions. What you liked, where you would go in a different direction, anything you feel is unbalanced.

Larger picture at http://sharp-big.tumblr.com/post/145867165885/sharp-big-sorry-for-the-lack-of-updates

I've got a bard college and barbarian path written up already, as well as abyssal genasi and a whip/dagger weapon feat. I just haven't thrown them into photoshop yet.
>>
>>47762512
It's my sole gripe with Blade; they saddle you with the worst fighting style in the game on a class and archetype that has a shitload of fun stuff to do on bonus actions.
>>
the one thing that pisses me off is how badly they botched berserker

I mean totems are cool and all but I just wanted to RIP AND TEAR
>>
>>47760776
If you could reasonably convert Trox from pathfinder, you'd be my fucking hero
>>
/5eg/, I'm really not sure what Pact Boon to allow my Warlock to have. Pact of the Blade is right out, considering I don't imagine he'll be a close combat fighter, and I've got Sword Coast cantrips for that. The Tome's pretty good, since cantrips are super handy in general, but for Path of the Chain I don't feel like I'm really understanding the point of having familiars. They're really weak in general, and it generally feels like that kind of thing should be relegated to Druids or Rangers.
>>
>>47762360

It gives you more speed and it lets you not waste Ki and your bonus action on disengaging. You can pick it up when you've got high Dex/Wis if you don't want to waste your first ASIs.
>>
I heard that a Warlock/Sorcerer dual class can be a powerhouse. What's the best level split?

I was thinking W3/S17 or W4/S16.
>>
>>47762751
But your familiars can turn invisible and you can cast touch spells through them.

If you don't see the advantages in that, then just go Tome. Not difficult. The truth is that Warlocks spend most of their time Eldritch Blasting anyways so what other features you have are just decorations.
>>
>>47762872

I think you only go deep enough into warlock to get Charisma to your Eldritch Blast damage. The point of the build is to quicken out Eldritch Blasts every turn.
>>
File: tasty.jpg (8 KB, 236x302) Image search: [Google]
tasty.jpg
8 KB, 236x302
Any ideas for potion effects, /5eg/? The campaign I plan on running will focus on monster hunting, and part of that will be the challenge of identifying creatures and then properly preparing to fight them with potions, oils, traps, etc.

So I need potion effects that are strong and helpful that aren't just +damage vs creature, but also aren't as general as +x to stat. Side effects would also be appreciated, both fluff and mechanical.

If they were going up against a hag, for instance, they might take a potion that gives advantage on spell saves against curses or whatever. The more tailored to a particular type of monster the better.
>>
>>47763011
I had an idea for a 'Potion of Violent Rejuvenation' that would increase physical AS permanently, but only after several hours of painful purging and cleansing of all toxins from the body, as well as adjustment of bone structure and whatever else comes to mind.
>>
>>47763011
Potion of Liquid Spell (Bigby's Crushing Hand)
>Application of this potion instantaneously casts the enchanted spell (Bigby's Crushing Hand) centered on the target.
>A small label reading "DO NOT DRINK" adorns the bottle
>>
>>47762953
>>47762872
Admittedly, the utility of the extra cantrips and ritual book that tome pact offers is very tempting, especially in a game that probably won't get to lvl 20.
>>
>>47763011
Potions of speed. They'll let you run fast enough to chase down really swift monsters, but shave years off your life with each use
>>
File: 1465651381756.gif (398 KB, 480x266) Image search: [Google]
1465651381756.gif
398 KB, 480x266
>>47763141
...and I forgot the picture like an idiot
>>
>>47763068
The problem with that is players don't feel the pain of their characters. Unless you have some sort of penalty, that is a potion of "ASI for a few days of downtime" which the players will handwave in seconds.
>>
>>47763168
>Admittedly, the utility of the extra cantrips and ritual book that tome pact offers is very tempting, especially in a game that probably won't get to lvl 20.
That was basically my plan. Cantrips out the ass + unlimited mage armor/disguise self. I think there's an invocation that lets you put ritual spells into your Tome, too.
>>
>>47763250
You have to pick two. Getting a 3rd invocation would require 5 levels of warlock.
>>
>>47762708
Hmm... let me see... Going to be tricky, since they're high LA and their big focus is on their multiple arms and brute strength. But, here's a first draft.

Trox
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Powerful Build: You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Burrow: A Trox has a Burrow speed of 20 feet.
Grabbing Appendages: A Trox has Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made to Grapple a target. Grappled opponents are at a Disadvantage to try and break free of a Trox. Troxes are treated as being Large sized for purposes of determining their ability to grapple.
Frenzy: A Trox may enter a Rage once per long rest, as per the Barbarian class ability. This Frenzy can only be triggered if the Trox is below its maximum hit point value, and the Trox is treated as a Barbarian of equal character level for Raging. If the Trox has any levels in Barbarian, it instead increases its Rage uses by +1 use per day.
>>
>>47760390

What comic is this? Reverse search gives me nothing.
>>
>>47763346
something from Oglaf
>>
>>47763346

Tell me you're baiting.
>>
How do I get the most out of my 7th level druid 4chans? I want to taste the rainbow.
>>
>>47763367

Thanks!
>>
>>47763392
Have sex with animals.
>>
>>47763446
Will that give me some sort of mechanical bonus i'm not aware of?

I haven't played D&D very much i'm afraid, most of the systems i've played have been roleplay heavy and the rules were pretty much left by the wayside.
>>
>>47763468
Getting pregnant while you're in Wild Shape is pretty good.
>>
>>47760776
>>47763298

Speaking of my homebrewing stuff, I don't think anyone spoke up about my draft of the Mul?

Also, anyone have any suggestion about how to handle the Thri-Kreen poisonous bite as a racial feature in 5e? The MM version is a standard "make a Con check or be Poisoned for 1 minute, plus Paralyzed if you failed by 5 or more", but I'm stumped on how to make that work as a PC option.

Mul, 1st Draft:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength, +1 Wisdom
Vision: Normal
Tireless: A mul halves the time it requires to complete a short rest or a long rest.
Unending Vitality: A mul has Advantage on Constitution checks.
>>
>>47763392
Go moon druid and buy the monster manual. Kill them all with primal might. Also pick up bark skin because the AC improvement applies to your animal forms.
>>
>>47763507

ability scores and advantage on all con throws are too good. Tireless is useless if the rest of the party still needs to rest, otherwise makes no sense.
>>
>>47763507
Why the +1 wis?
Maybe throw in some dwarf traits instead? Like how half-elves get fey ancestry
>>
>>47763531
During a long rest outdoors or in a hostile area, it lets that person stand look-out for half of the night while the others get their full 8 hours of rest.
>>
>>47763516
I went circle druid because I like the spell selection and the flavour it gives to the character beyond just being a stat block. I'm currently using wildshape for stealth rather than aggression. I also have a high strength/wisdom rating.

Mostly i'm trying to play Edgy Neutral.
>>
>>47763562

Consider picking up Conjure Animals. Littering the field with eight crabs that grapple mooks, or a single giant poisonous snake is pretty badass.
>>
>>47760989
is this shit balanced?
>>
>>47763608
More or less, most of it is fine, but some of it is pretty OP
>>
>>47763531
Fair point. Problem is that Muls have never really been all that beefy. Like, the "need less sleep" crap has been done in every edition. Even 4e did it.

Unending Vitality came from the fact that they had the Incredible Toughness power in 4e, which let them automatically end Ongoing Damage, Dazed, Slowed, Stunned or Weakened once per encounter. I figured that Advantage on Con was basically the same effect. Was I wrong?

>>47763555
Because their alternate to +2 Strength was +2 Wisdom in 4e, plus the Hill Dwarves, the closest to "Athasian" dwarves, get +1 Wis.

As for some dwarf traits... that'd be fun, but, like what? Dwarves get darkvision, free proficiency with battleaxe/handaxe/throwing hammer/warhammer, and Advantage on saving throws vs poison + poison resistance. Dwarven Resilience is, I guess, a semi-fitting trait. It really depends on how we ultimately make the "they're super tough" racial fixation work.

I wonder... maybe my Dark Sun 2e stuff is legible...

Yeah, but not to much avail. Muls were straightforward Str and Con boosts in 2e, with minimums of 10 in each. Their stats in fact explicitly listed as "+2 Str, +1 Con", and their only unique racial trait was noting how much longer they could work before requiring rest.
>>
>>47763716
examples? Im runnning an assassin campaign and i think this would make it more exciting but some things worry me(Garrote)
>>
>>47763507
I'd change Tireless to something else. Maybe at the end of a short rest, you can make some sort of check to remove a level of Exhaustion?

Advantage on all Con saves is too strong. You need to make it against specific stuff, even if its just surviving starvation/thirst or extreme heat. Maybe if you combine it with the first idea it could apply to those checks as well, to counteract the effects of the first level of exhaustion.
>>
>>47763737
Does the +WIs make sense though? I recommend you follow the DMG's advice and start with an existing race. For example:
>mountain dwarf
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 CON
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 STR
>Minor mechanical benefit: Poision Advantage/Resist
>Minor mechanical benefit: Darkvision
>Ribbon: Med armor Proficiency
>Ribbon: hammer, axe profieiency
>Minor mechanical drawback: 25ft move speed

Change features to ones of equivalent power until you have a mul.
>>
>>47763838
Hmm, what about just automatically making it that a Mul recovers 1 level of Exhaustion with a Short Rest, and 2 levels with a Long Rest? This makes it much easier for Muls to keep on trekking even as other races pass out around them.

As for Unending Vitality... what about Advantage on Con checks against or to remove Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed, Poisoned or Stunned?
>>
>>47763850
Here is my suggestion for the Mul, based on this logic:
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 CON
>Major mechanical benefit: +2 STR
>Minor mechanical benefit: Can exert moderate effort , such as walking or crafting, during a long rest and still gain benefits of such. Must take a normal long rest before using this feature again.
>Ribbon: extra initial level of exhaustion that causes no detrimental effect
>Ribbon: hammer, pick profieiency
>>
>>47764006
I think 1 on a short rest without a check might be a bit much, as that means a Mul will basically never die of thirst. Ever.

Maybe instead you could write a rule that makes them treat their exhaustion as 1 level lower than it is currently, so they basically ignore the effects of the first level they gain, but still count as having one. Then when they gain another they'll have 2 levels, but still only suffer the level 1 effects. That's less open to abuse than the recover on short rest option, but it does mean that a Mul can shrug off those sorts of effects more easily.

I think you could also add the 2 levels recovered on a long rest with that, since it requires they drink and eat something, but will bring them up back to normal much faster.

I think just a bonus against all of those conditions is the wrong way to go, since most of them don't really work with what a Mul is supposed to be tough against, and that includes most Con checks anyway.
>>
>>47760989

Some of it's okay but I think once we get to a certain point it starts getting worse and worse.
>>
>>47764006
It's kind of a pointless feature if the rest of the party has to stop and pass out, remember you can only travel as fast as your slowest member.

>>47764078
I literally just suggested that in >>47764038
>>
>>47764111
Sorry. Didn't refresh or see it before I posted. I think it's a good idea though.
>>
>>47762751
Some familiars can turn invisible.
You can view the world with your familiar's senses and send it ahead to scout; it's very tiny and thus easy to not notice (especially if you have a familiar that looks like a normal animal).

You can cast Touch-ranged spells through them.

They can watch your back; you don't need to be viewing through their senses to receive information from them that they can see if they're close enough to communicate telepathically (100 feet). You could have them guard things beyond that range with orders to fly in the direction you left.

They can take the Help action to aid you and party members in various tasks. They have their own turns, so you can use the familiar as a miniature Advantage bot for one of your frontliners.

If they're flight-capable, you can have them retrieve or operate distant objects. Quasits, owls, pseudodragons, and imps could all easily fly a grappling hook and (silk) rope onto a cliff face or top of a building and secure it for you, no muss, no fuss.
>>
>>47763755
Actually nevermind this seems to be a new version

Nothing really broken as far as I can tell, just some things that would needlessly complicate the game IMO, plus giving every martial superiority dice doesn't feel right

On top of that some of the "balancing" changes are unnecessary, most, even
>>
>>47764324
>giving every martial superiority dice doesn't feel right
That's not what Martial Dice are.
>>
>>47764078
Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that muls didn't still need to get ahold of food and water during their short rest to remove exhaustion. But, simply "ignore 1 level of penalties from exhaustion" may be the better way to go.

What would be a better way to handle their sheer "can't kill 'em with an axe to the head" stubborn vitality than those Advantages? I'm open to suggestions, but thank you all for offering your honest critique.

By the way, what happened to Trox-requesting anon? Nobody ever did speak up on >>47763298
>>
>>47764363
I think advantage and resistance against poison might actually be the best option. They are supposed to be half-dwarf, and Dwarven Resilience suits them fine.

Maybe you could also give them another minor feature that reflects some human vitality as well though. The only thing I can think of is letting them add 1/2 proficiency to Con saves if they don't have proficiency already, but that might be a bit much.
>>
>>47764363
Possibilities:
> +1 hp per level, like Hill Dwarf
> 1/ short/long rest damage reducing reaction, like Goliath
> 1/ Long rest, when you would drop to 0hp, instead go to 1 hp, like half-orc
> Gain either CON mod or Prof bonus in temp HP after every rest
> Always on, but very minor damage reduction, like lvl 1-10 is DR/1, 11-15 is DR/2, and 16-20 is DR/3
>>
>>47764337
Oh I see, well now that I looked them over they seem like some of them are ok, but overall I don't like the idea, and there are some really bad ones

They could work in some settings though
>>
>>47764439
Advantage on CON and STR saves, similar to Gnomish cunning?
>>
>>47764481
Hmm, I always forget that Gnomish cunning is a thing. I think that might work then, though the Gnomes bonus only works against magic. It also doesn't help out with Concentration checks. You'd need to account for that in order to balance it somewhat.
>>
>>47764561
It dosen't seem much worse than the mountain dwarf wizard with med armor. not having bonuses to any casting stat is a good counterbalance.
>>
People ask pretty often in this general:
>"Can I slit a character's throat as instakill/massive damage?"

I think the definite answer on that is "No." It is a) not stated in the rules and b) implicitly a part of a rogue's capabilities. Sneak attack is a massive damage attack that involves precision. In my opinion, the Assassinate and Death Strike features of the Assassin properly represents a throat-slit. If the character in question hasn't acted in initiative yet (is surprised/not prepared), the assassin scores a critical hit on his sneak attack.

Allowing non-assassins to slit a throat gimps this class's features.
>>
>>47764653
Fair enough, so I think that leaves them with

Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength
Tireless: Counts exhaustion level as one lower
Unending Vitality: Advantage on Strength and Constitution saves

I'm not sure how major Advantage to the saves will be, though I'd say it's fairly strong. I can't shake the feeling that it could use a couple more small benefits, more minor fluffy bonuses than anything else. I think some weapon proficiencies or small skill bonuses wouldn't go amiss.
>>
>>47764753
What if the target is unconscious/incapacitated?
>>
>>47765103
If they are unconscious from being at 0 HP, then they would die. If they are just sleeping/stunned/paralyzed then it would be advantage to hit and auto crit.
>>
Alright, well, in response to all the comments and suggestions bandied around here, this is my second draft of the profile. What do folks think? It still conveys the hardiness of the Mul without being as broken as before, hopefully.

And before anyone asks, I went with +2 Str/+1 Con because that's actually what they got in AD&D, and +3 to stats is the norm for character races in 5e.

Mul, 2nd Draft:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution
Tireless: A mul ignores the first level of Exhaustion it suffers, and regains two levels of Exhaustion when it completes a long rest.
Limitless Endurance: A mul increases its hit point maximum by 1 point and further increases it by +1 point each time it gains a level.
Dwarven Vitality: A mul has Advantage on saving throws against Poison and Resistance to Poison damage.
>>
Dear /5eg/,

I have been tasked with creating some basic encounters for a store I work at for their Kids D&D Power Hour. Something a DM can grab from a folder, look at, and be ready to run with some kids using pre-generated characters in a few minutes. Are there any resources, either official or fan-made, that I can look at to get some inspiration? So far all I've got is a two-part module that I am dubiously calling "Kobold Vietnam." While I think it'll work as a longer-term thing, I'm looking for encounters that can be run in anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half.
>>
>>47765203
Tell me about kolbod Vietnam
>>
>>47765103
There are written rules for that that apply to everyone that don't infringe on the assassin's class features.
>>
>>47765203
Idk if there are resources to help you get inspiration outside of maybe some online quest generator or something of the sort, but I'm willing to lend a helping hand.

Since its for kids, you probably want to keep the theme and adventure simple. Some light role play that would last for roughly the first 5 to 10 minutes, followed by the quest being given to the party and being sent on their way. Probably also want to avoid a lot of combat. Probably plan for two encounters, maybe three. The best ones i can of off the top of my head are:
>undead in crypt, kill undead and necromancer.
>Bandits/orcs raiding a town, stop raiders and capture/kill leader.
>evil monsters/beasts in forest/cave nearby that is attacking village people.

I hope this helps.
>>
>>47765203
I'd suggest using some OSR stuff as a starting point. Check out the "one page dungeon" competition. Flesh out and provide stats for stuff, whip up a portfolio of pregen characters, and off you go.
>>
>>47764753
Yes you can, provided they have low enough hit points. How you fluff the final blow is largely irrelevant, rules-wise.
>>
>>47765254

You've been tasked to safeguard a merchant caravan containing five wagons through a hostile jungle.

>DC 15 Perception: You hear faint footfalls, but cannot ascertain their location.
>DC 20 Perception: You hear faint footfalls that seem to be coming from below you.
>DC 15 Survival: You notice the dirt path has been disturbed recently, as if something had been walking across the path over and over.

If the lead wagon pushes across a given square, it falls into and reveals a spike trap. This halts the caravan until the end of the combat. The caravan counts as impassable terrain. Once the trap has been discovered, kobolds begin to shoot at the party from the brush, using blowguns dealing 1d4 damage. Kobolds have 1 hp and seem to vanish if their square is entered. A DC 20 Perception check reveals the entrance to a tunnel network the kobolds are using to move around in in each of the bushes. The kobold attack is repelled after 2d10 kobolds are killed or forced into their tunnels.

>Camping phase.

1d10: <5: Panther attack! >5: No panther attack.

>You hear quiet rustling all throughout the night, just enough to keep you on the edge of sleep. Non-Elves sleep poorly (disadvantage on INT and DEX saving throws)
>>
>>47762326
Doesn't the dual wield feat say you can make both weapons non-light?
>>
>>47765453
Why did you even bother replying?

"Well TECHNICALLY it can be an instakill if the target's HP is 1 xD"
>>
File: 1465554568253.jpg (96 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
1465554568253.jpg
96 KB, 900x658
What would be interesting properties for a magical pistol?
>>
>>47765154
>>47765312
Righto, makes sense
>>
>>47765605
The bullets will perfectly ricochet off of the first solid surface they hit, meaning you can fire around corners and make awesome trick shots.
>>
Can I get some advice on this >>47760974
>>
>>47765605
Depends on your setting, but I once rolled a character for a friend's game that had a sort of "magicite pistol" that he could load a chunk of elementally charged magicite into to fire elemental energy bullets. Gave him unlimited ammo of the chosen element, but changing it took a good day of setting the new magicite in the clamps and attuning the weapon, so it didn't get too broken by switching elements on the fly.

If you don't have concepts like that available, perhaps it has a skill that allows you to load material components of a spell, chant the verbal component and fire a bullet that will set off the spell when it hits the target? Gives a player a way to turn a touch spell into a ranged spell, or extend the range of others, but they'd have to be able to cast those spells normally as well as be proficient in gun use, so it's not exactly easy to abuse.
>>
I had a concept for a weapon that emphasized heavy blows and would likely end up in the hands of a barbarian or monster.
>War Club/Kanabo/Truncheon
>45 gp
>2d4 bludgeoning
>Two-handed, Heavy, Special
>Special Rule: Your Strength modifier is not added to your attack rolls, but it is doubled for your damage rolls.
>>
>>47765692
That could have some amusing misfire rules.
>Goes off in a holster
>Immediately bounces off the holster bottom and blows out the barrel.
>>
>>47765755
Yeah, it probably needs to only trigger on objects of a certain hardness, like wood or stone. You want it bouncing off walls, not off of the skin of your target.
>>
>>47765708
So you can't fucking hit, ever, and the barbs extra crit dice are useless as its a d4 weapon

Truly, you are an isiot
>>
>>47765696
Adds more dice rolls. If you have 3-4 players its ok but any more and this will slow you down
>>
>>47765708
Seems a bit silly when you could just as easily use a Greatsword. An extra 4 damage on average at best isn't worth it compared to the -5 to hit.

It'd be easier to just take Great Weapon Master, since then you can choose when to get the -5 to hit, and get triple your damage rather than simply double.
>>
>>47765858
>>47765708
Seems redundant with the Great Weapon Master feat
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 6, 5, 2, 3 = 20 (6d6)

>>47765696
>the standard whip already has the finesse property
>the standard whip already has the reach property
>the standard whip already deals 1d4 slashing damage
>a Battlemaster Maneuver and a Tavern Brawler feature together for free on every attack is overpowered as fuck
>throw a creature without distance to limit is OP
>dealing damage for being thrown (shoved) for free is a Battlemaster Maneuver and giving it away for free is overpowered

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I'll fix it for you:
>standard whip as a template
>give it 2xreach (15 feet total reach)
>upgrade the damage dice to 2d4
Note, a crit with these damage dice rolls one more d4, not two more
>twice per long-rest, the user can choose to deal 6d4
Note again, a crit using this feature only rolls one more d4, not six more
>thrice per long-rest, the user can either prone OR grapple (the user's choice) a target on a hit - no save

That's it.
>>
>>47765920
>not doubling dice on a crit

but thats wrong
>>
>>47765944
Oops, I think I was thinking of Brutal Critical; My mistake. Thank-you for pointing that out.
>>
>>47765598
I don't see a problem with treating the victim as a 1-HD mook and making the reward for the kill commensurate with the lack of effort that went into it. I've seen way too many NPCs die as a DM to give have a roasted fuck about any of them anymore. Congratulations. You killed a commoner. I hope you feel all puffed up and proud of yourself.
>>
>>47766018
The typical context of the question "Can I slit his throat for a instakill?" is that the target is not necessarily a weakling, but rather anyone with a slittable neck. Any humanoid, essentially.
>L20 Hill Dwarf Barbarian with 24 Con and the Tough feat (297 HP)
>"I want to slit his throat for an instakill".
>>
>>47765944
>>47765988
I was honestly under the impression that Brutal Critical meant that a greatsword's 2d6 damage was tripled to 6d6 rather than brought to 5d6. I read it as that 2d6 was the damage die.
Guess that justifies the greataxe's existence.
>>
>>47762687
How would you fix it?
>>
>>47766095
>"Your dagger lodges in the thick curls of his beard. You aren't sure it even touched his skin.
>Urist is no longer unconscious
>Urist stands up
>>
>>47766176
Urist enters a rage. Roll initiative.
>>
Rolled 4 + 10 (1d20 + 10)

>>47766203
Nothing personnel kid, but I took Alert.
>>
>>47765920
Thanks for the help buddy
>>
>>47766244
You're not being surprised. He's joining the initiative order. Hope you aren't planning on running away, he has 35ft movement speed and bonus action Dash.

>>47766259
You're welcome. Note, that I was incorrect about damage dice as mentioned >>47765944
and >>47765988.
>>
>>47765920
I also forgot to include a range with the throwing. If I kept that, would a range of 10/30 be reasonable?
>>
>>47766148
Different anon, but you could just remove the exhaustion from frenzy and limit it to once per rest. That would make it functionally similar to how it is now, but without crippling the barbarian in the meantime, which is the only real problem with the subclass.
>>
Rolled 5, 3, 2, 6, 5, 4 = 25 (6d6)

>>47766332
If the player REALLY deserves it, I would say

>If grappled this way (one of the three times per day), on a subsequent attack (to keep it eligible for Extra Attack) during which the target is still grappled, the user may choose to constrict the whip to deal 1d6 bludgeoning damage (no save, no attack roll, the grappled condition remains) or throw the target. Treat the whip as a Martial Ranged Weapon with the Special, Ammunition (range 10/15), and Loading properties if you choose to throw. The Special property is that the grappled target must be thrown in a direction within a cone (as per the spellcasting rules) originating directly opposite the position of the grappled target relative to you. The target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage (no save) when thrown onto even ground; if thrown off of some height, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage in addition to any applicable falling damage (falling damage is detailed in the PHB: 1d6 for each 10ft fallen, maximum 20d6). If the target hits another creature as a result of this throw, that creature also takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage (consider allowing a dexterity saving throw but I would say no save since we are treating the grappled creature as ammunition). Once thrown, the grappled condition ceases.
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 3, 2, 3, 3 = 20 (6d6)

>>47766638

I'm sure that I could word that better but I'll leave it to you to reword. If it's too confusing/poorly written to make sense, I'll bullet point it:
>a target is grappled by the whip
>user can squeeze the target or throw the target using an attack
>if squeezed, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage with no attack roll and no save; squeezing does not end the grappled condition
>if thrown at another creature, treat the grappled creature as ammunition and the whip as a Martial Ranged weapon with the Ammunition (10/15) and Loading properties
>the creature can only be thrown in a cone that originates from your location facing opposite of the creature's original position (eg: X--O; the grappled creature is X, the -- is the whip, the O is the user: the user can throw the X 10/15ft in a cone to the right of O)
>a thrown target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage, no save (even if the attack roll misses)
>if a thrown creature hits another creature, then that second creature also takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage

Also, go ahead and make the whip a +1 weapon and make sure that it deals magic damage so it doesn't become useless against creatures with physical resistance/immunity.
>>
>>47766651
Also, forgot a bullet point:

>when thrown, the grappled condition ends

This leaves the target in range of the whip though, so it doesn't make throwing the target pointless.
>>
>>47766638
>>47766651
TL;DR
>>
>>47761126
FATAL when?
>>
>>47766738
The second post is the tl;dr version.
>>
I'm DMing a game for the second time and my group of three friends want to have Feats and Flaws on their characters. We went with some feats in the book, but decided to create our own flaws.

The Half-Orc barbarian made one where he has to eat x3 the amount of food an average person would have to eat per day. If he misses one day of eating the correct amount he starts to ramp up exhaustion for every day. He also wanted his character to refuse any handouts, meaning he wouldn't take food or money without working/proving himself.

Our Tiefling Warlock decided to reduce how far he can walk from 30 ft to 20 and reduce his carrying capacity by 25 lbs. Whenever he physically exerts himself he must roll a cons saving throw as well. The specifics would be decided by myself for the situation.

Our Drow Bard wanted something interesting. A magical prosthetic arm. I'm trying to figure out how to balance this thing, one idea being forcing him to expend spell slots to keep his arm usable. Different levels of slots result in varying degrees of negative or positive effects. Using a level 1 slot would cause him to have - stats to rolls involving that arm for example. Using a 5th level slot would mean bonuses to rolls. Every day he'd have to expend a slot to keep it working.

I generally want to know what your thoughts on these are. Evil campaign btw. Any suggestions or tweaks? Are any overly debilitating? I need some veteran opinions.
>>
Now that I've played a wizard, I don't want to play anything else.

Can I get some inspiration?
>>
File: 1449700108932.jpg (76 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1449700108932.jpg
76 KB, 1024x640
>>47763608
l'm very late to the game, but the problem is martials vs casters. this helps martials, but it also helps them in the way they excel over casters already, so its kind of a mixed bag.
i think its cool, personally, but just know that it doesnt really solve problems so much as it adds power to martials in ways in which they are lacking in addition to ways in which they aren't, which is a mixed bag.
>>
>>47761559
>He's one of those I-Want-Everything-From-The-Buffet-Line-Including-Things-That-Aren't-There-fags.

In all seriousness though, this is a case of "Less is More" that I see a lot of DMs falling in to (including me, especially in my Highschool/Middleschool years). Sometimes, it's best to just go off-book and create your own setting based on your own, internal logic.

I know I'm going to get shit on for this, but I've been on a 2 year "Hoomens-Ownlee" streak, and I sincerely believe my campaigns have only gotten better from it.

I mean, what are DnD dwarves but just drunk, Scottish manlets? Why not just make a culture of humans that are actually just...you know, drunk, Scottish manlets? Like, why build an entire race just for X, when X already exists, and it's in the fucking equation?

And not even from a narrative/storyboard perspective, from a logistical standpoint, it becomes far more easier to manage and hold your races and cultures over time.

Seriously, fuck having to micromanage a gajillion different races at once. That shit would turn me off from DM'ing SO fucking fast, DM'ing just became another chore for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "a little restraint goes a long way", and right now, I don't think 94 different races and species would be very good for your setting.
>>
>>47762326
But you can't do that. Noth weapons need to have the Light property unless you have the Dual Wielder feat. Look up the rules on Two Weapon Fighting again.
>>
>>47768018
*Both weapons
>>
>>47766148
>>47766419

I think the best idea I've read is make a long rest cure up to X levels of exhaustion, based on your con modifier.
>>
Should a Voice of the Chain Master scout/spy familiar be an imp (darkvision 120 feet, passive Perception 11, raven form, invisibility) or a pixie (no darkvision, but passive Perception 13 and invisibility)?
>>
Question, would it be too shitty of me to have a basilisk attack the party while only one is on watch?
>>
>>47768634

Give 'em a chance to notice it approaching before it's in range? I've only really played 3.5, but Basilisks in that edition weren't all that sneaky, and the gaze attack was pretty limited on range.
>>
>>47768634
I guess I should include its a four party group. I'm confident the fighter will succeed the save even if the person on watch while they sleep fails. But you never know.
>>
>>47768660
The idea is that they're sleeping and only one is watching. Sorry, that wasn't clear.
>>
>>47768660
Oh wait, I misunderstood your intention. Yeah, the person on watch could have a chance to notice it.
I was thinking of this as well. And I was planning to give them clues by placing statues of small animals in the cave, if they decide to use it for their rest.
>>
If I have Eldritch Sight and Voice of the Chain Master and see and hear through my familiar's senses, can I use my own Perception bonus (and possibly Eldritch Sight's Detect Magic), or is that impossible?
>>
>>47768722
You use your familiar's senses, not your own. It's a telepathic link with sensory capabilities, not a mind and soul transfer.
>>
>>47768734
Wrong, senses are darkvision/blindsight/truesight, active Perception isn't one of them.
>>
Hey anons, I've been running pathfinder for 2 years now and my group has gotten extremely board. Their one complaint was that pathfinder was way to complex, they made it work and had fun but it's gotten to the point where they just can't do it anymore.

So here is my question, how easy would you all say it is to pick up 5e? The idea has been swimming around me for a bit and I've heard good things, but I just want to know if it's going to be another case of "keep track of literally a million things or you'll never be viable.".
>>
>>47768751
>how easy would you all say it is to pick up 5e?
Compared to Pathfinder? A fucking dream. It's a much smoother game in-play than Pathfinder ever is.

The one thing they might miss out on is the chargen game, which is relatively minimal in 5e. Pretty much everything works out okay and is viable, and even the strongest builds don't tend to go over the base line by that much.

I suggest downloading the PHB from the Mega and giving it a read.
>>
>>47768759
>even the strongest builds don't tend to go over the base line by that much.

What I'm hearing is, casters can't kill gods by blinking? Because if that's the case I think this might be my stop.
>>
>>47768790
High-level casters can still warp the game world (teleporting, cloning, demiplanes, and plane shifting tend to do that) but the majority of the game that people actually play is more grounded, power-wise.
>>
>>47768799
Then the train stops here, thanks dude
>>
>>47768790
Play 4e.
>>
>>47768790

they're pretty strong but in-combat about on par with a well built martial
>>
>>47768751
If you look at Critical Role, they played Pathfinder for years before someone asked them to stream their games, and when they did, Matt Mercer decided to transition to 5e because he finds the system a lot simpler for everyone to handle, saying that although he loves Pathfinder, all of the floating modifiers get difficult for people to keep track of.

Granted, they still have problems with things. Grog never adds his Rage bonus damage, Vex often forgets Hunter's Mark until after she's attacked, Vax constantly confuses how mechanics (like Assassinate, advantage, critical hit, surprise, Hide, Sneak Attack) work together, their former member Tiberius had to have something explained to him like every game... Some people will just not be able to handle some things.
>>
>>47768933
Which is pretty annoying sometimes, but then I remember how Critical Role transitions quite quickly from the casual "lets all eat pizza and stream our game" into a full-on performance every episode.
I think the players are working so hard to maintain character half the time they never remember mechanics.
If they were like this outside of stream it'd be pretty unacceptable if I were the DM. Keeping track of a character's abilities in 5e is so fucking easy.
>>
File: rogue.png (413 KB, 600x780) Image search: [Google]
rogue.png
413 KB, 600x780
I need artwork of human male rogues, can anyone help me out?
>>
>>47764467

There really are some pretty terrible ones. I'm not really a fan of martial dice. I don't think martials need them at all.
>>
File: roofrogue.png (642 KB, 497x679) Image search: [Google]
roofrogue.png
642 KB, 497x679
>>47769003
Human or close enough works too
>>
>>47769003
You should go to some place like google or pinterest and search "human male rogue."
Or start a separate thread for character art.

It will give you a better result, I'm sure.
>>
File: changelingrogue.png (190 KB, 351x709) Image search: [Google]
changelingrogue.png
190 KB, 351x709
Why do all rogues make it so obvious that they are rogues? Is this just their work outfits, or do they walk around all day with their hoods up dressed in all black with dagger bandoliers criss crossing their chest. Why not pick an outfit that wouldn't make people point at you and say "That guy is definitely going to rob and murder me". You'd think rogues would be able to practice some subtly
>>
>>47768790
The concentration mechanic helps a lot
>>
>>47769038
Because they want to be cool. And if you're a dick ass rogue you don't give a shit, because you're good enough at hiding they won't see you until you want to be seen.

However, when I put assassins and con-men in my games, they are certainly disguising their intentions.
>>
File: bowrogue.png (959 KB, 599x828) Image search: [Google]
bowrogue.png
959 KB, 599x828
>>47769038
Like this dude. He's still dressed in all black, but at least he's not covered in daggers.
>>
>>47768799
>teleporting in 5e
Scrying isn't familiarity
>>
File: huguenot.jpg (266 KB, 790x1216) Image search: [Google]
huguenot.jpg
266 KB, 790x1216
>>47769067
>tfw all huguenots are rogues
>>
>>47769038
In a world with adventurers being a rogue is a more respectable profession, not much more likely to be thieving and murdering than his tanky or magical fellows.
>>
File: swordrogue.png (356 KB, 787x1015) Image search: [Google]
swordrogue.png
356 KB, 787x1015
>>47769067
Or this guy here
>>
File: alleyrogue.png (2 MB, 897x891) Image search: [Google]
alleyrogue.png
2 MB, 897x891
>>47769087
Yeah that's true, but why call attention to it?
>>
>>47769087
There were adventurers irl, people like Julie Maupin or Casanova. Being a rogue or a con was still not respectable
>>
File: huguenots.png (582 KB, 517x1035) Image search: [Google]
huguenots.png
582 KB, 517x1035
>>47769078
>mfw catholics in france
>>
File: Beltrogue.png (231 KB, 497x685) Image search: [Google]
Beltrogue.png
231 KB, 497x685
>Once I was caught with my pants down

>Once
>>
>>47769096
Might be the want to advertise their skills, to better sell them.

>>47769099
Those adventurers didn't live in a world were going out and murdering monsters was a regular thing. It's just a means to kill things, and their various skills have legitimate uses.
>>
File: HQ658tX.jpg (519 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
HQ658tX.jpg
519 KB, 1920x800
>>47769038
Because they wanted to make them distinct and not just "fighter with a knife"
>>
>>47769096
Maybe it's just the fantasy equivalent of goth fashion
>>
File: lux.png (3 MB, 1919x1077) Image search: [Google]
lux.png
3 MB, 1919x1077
While I have the threads attention, got any advice for playing a rogue? Say it's a straightforward, classic dex based, sneaky thief rogue with good charisma.

How do I get the maximum utility out of that character for the party?
>>
File: gothninja.jpg (165 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
gothninja.jpg
165 KB, 680x1024
>>47769216
> Rogues can be identified by their slim leather jackets and display their character level through the amount of stacking in their sleeves and pants. The greater the stack, the higher level the Rogue.
>>
File: Cap.png (1 MB, 1591x1034) Image search: [Google]
Cap.png
1 MB, 1591x1034
>>47769236
>>
Hey guys, I saw you were making some magical whips on here a bit ago and on the drive to work I thought of a few:

>Rose Whip
+1 Whip, requires attunement
When not in use, this weapon is indistinguishable from a regular red rose
By speaking its command word, you can use this weapon to cast the Thorn Whip cantrip, using Strength or Dexterity as your spellcasting stat (your choice)

>Dullahan Whip
+2 Whip, requires attunement
This whip appears to be made out of a human spinal chord
When struck with this whip, a creature must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC of 12+your proficiency bonus. On a failesd save, the creature is frightened of the whip for 1d4 rounds.
This whip can be used to cast the Find Steed spell. The steed summoned by the spell is a warhorse with the Fey creature type. Once used in this way, this effect cannot be used again until the next dawn.
Cursed: A creature attuned to this whip is repulsed by gold, and takes 1d4 psychic damage if it starts or ends its turn in contact with any item made of gold.
>>
>>47768553
An imp if you are not literally planning to autistically text your DM if you can fuck your own familiar, since it's better in every way and infinitely more useful. Otherwise go ahead and get the pixie.
>>
>>47760390
I did AL for a few months. It was fun. I didn't care much for the official rules and stuff but I understand why they are there.

It fell apart after the adventures became paid. We decided to just run homebrew campaigns. Things actually got worse, we had too many people and not enough DMs.

I don't really have time to go to AL anymore l, too bust with school, work, and running two of my own campaigns.
>>
>>47769286

>Whip-mimic
+3 Whip, requires attunement
Any creature of size large or smaller struck by the whip-mimic adheres to it and is grappled (escape DC 13.) Ability checks made to escape this grapple have disadvantage.
You can use your bonus action to speak the whip-mimic's command word to order it to use its bite attack:
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) acid damage.
The whip-mimic has advantage on attacks against creatures it has grappled.
Cursed: To put away the whip-mimic you must use an action and pass a DC13 Strength saving throw. For every minute you hold the whip-mimic you take 1d8 acid damage.
>>
>>47769405
That's bad. Lower to hit
>>
>>47769332
Isn't it actually a sprite, not a pixie?
Anyway, I think any of the extra choices are just fine. Pick the one that's makes the most sense character-wise.
>>
>>47769448
Lower to hit? It's exactly the same to-hit bonus as a regular mimic
>>
>>47769448
>>47769514
Not only that but it's the same to-hit bonus as a level 1 character with a 16 on their combat stat

Remember the mimic is making the bite attack not the user
>>
>>47769225
You already are the best non-combat character if you have thieves tools, Dec skills, and cha skills. Just put expertise where you want it, eventually get reliable talent and be a general skill monkey. As for combat, you'll be fine with any ranged weapon, finesse weapon, and/or SCAG cantrip. Also, lots of items if you are a thief. And lots of attribute bonuses since you don't need feats to be useful and you get an extra one.
>>
>>47769526
+3 from mag +5 from dex +6 prof = +14 vs +5

dickhead
>>
>>47769526
So, does it roll its own initiative?
>>
Rolled 2 (1d4)

>>47769286
>thorn whip for free
It's a cantrip so that's fair.

>menacing attack with a save DC of a 19Str Battlemaster and also on average lasting 2.5x as long as the BM's menacing attack (which only lasts one round) without allowing the target to make saves on its turn
Overpowered and makes Menacing Attack useless.
>>
File: dndclassbalance3.png (274 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance3.png
274 KB, 2994x1477
What's the best homebrew fix for the Wo4e Monk that you've found?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>47769574
Where are you getting all those mods? And honestly there is no reason to get hostile

>>47769622
No, the only action it can take is making a bite attack using your bonus action
>>
Does anyone have Certs for Adventurer's League stuff? I know you don't need them to play but I was going to to some conventions and was hoping to Trade at the Fai Chen trading post.
>>
File: classic blunder2.jpg (10 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
classic blunder2.jpg
10 KB, 234x216
>>47769693
>posts bait pic
>"unrelated"
>>
>>47769651
It's supposed to be a very rare/legendary magic item

Balance is not really something I think about a lot when it's competing with cubic gates and horns of valhalla
>>
>>47769702
Monster stat blocks are different from characters. The +5 in a monster stat block reflects the total amount the monster's attack is boosted.

I'm a bit confused then why you decided porting directly from the monster manual stat block was a good idea. Remove the +5 to hit bonus on the specific attack, and just let the character's stats take over. +3 from being a magical item. +stat mod +proficiency bonus.
>>
>>47769759
The idea was that it's not the character making the attack but the mimic itself

It doesn't really make sense to me that the mimic would use the PC's stats to make its own attack

Honestly I guess I could scrap the whole thing and just make it "this whip is a mimic, it acts at your initiative but can only make a bite attack against a target it has adhered to" or something like that
>>
How do I stop the casters in my party from starting repeated combats every damn day that I have to finish because they are worried about spell slots.

The fighter life is tiring man, I swear by the end of this my killcounts going to be so high I'm going to have a hell of a reputation.
>>
>>47760390

I know this is oglaf now, but what comic specifically? Can't find her on the wiki
>>
>>47769809
Roll performance, feign death and let them take a few hits. Set this up with the DM for maximising fun.
>>
>>47763403
http://oglaf.com/appealtoheaven/

Specific page right here.
>>
File: 1458064481277.jpg (297 KB, 1280x1761) Image search: [Google]
1458064481277.jpg
297 KB, 1280x1761
>>47769038
also why are all rogues slim and tiny and not orchis brutes. I mean stereotypes go along way in fantasy games but it would be nice to see say halfling fighter and half-orc rogue for a change
>>
I know there aren't suffocation rules RAW and they can easily be over powered but what would be some balances suffocation rules?

Inspired by the garrote in the martial options.
>>
A player wants to make a dex barbarian.
Would it be bad if I allowed him to add rage damage to his finesse weapon attacks?
>>
>>47770217
Simple matter of the archetype reinforcement of stat bonuses
>>
>>47770353
His AC would quickly become ridiculous
>>
>>47770353
Probably not cause you only get 2 rages and they don't have the two weapon fighting style.
>>
>>47769693

There's that pdf floating around. I don't have it but I'm sure you could find it if you searched, or someone might be able to spoon feed you.
>>
File: latest.png (78 KB, 252x313) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
78 KB, 252x313
>>47770217
No reason you can't be a rogue and also a big guy
>>
So my players often burn all their shit way too early into adventures. They don't take much time to ever plan out or really consider saving their strength for "bosses." It kind of baffles me. My thought is that they just like to nova small encounters so they see big numbers and feel like bad-asses, even against a pack of wolves.

So far I've just scaled back boss encounters because I don't want to TPK them. It's most of their first campaign. But my patience is growing a little thin. Here's my plan.
I think for their next adventure I will be dropping hints left and right about how powerful the big bad is. MUCH more so than I have done previously. This is in hopes that they wise up, plan accordingly, and don't show up to the boss encounter bruised and bloodied ready to die. If they ignore all of my warnings I really don't want to scale back the encounter this time and let the dice fall where they may, even if it results in a TPK.

My question for you all, what sort of hints do you drop your players that they need to be extra careful about up coming battles? I have my own methods, but wanting to hear yours as well.

Bonus question: Any other good ways to teach the players they need to save their shit besides risking a possible TPK?
>>
>>47770365
22 without armor is as high as it could be without magic equipment, which is pretty high. I probably wouldn't allow it just because it crosses over a little too much into monk territory more than the AC thing though
>>
>>47770724
Just tell them that they should think ahead and that more battles are to come.

Let them die if they don't follow your advice, it will be hard for some but they will learn from their mistakes.
>>
>>47770758
Dex Barb with Finesse could get it up to 28 on reactions if he takes Duelist, but that would take up to level 19 to get the advnces
>>
I'm thinking about taking Magic Initiate on my Open Hand Monk.

What cantrips/what spell would be most useful?
>>
>>47770724
Risk a failure of the mission. Let retreat be possible, but then the time limit on the quest runs out, innocent people die, and the adventurers are reviled for not pacing themselves through the dungeon.
>>
Would using gritty long rest with normal short rests too overwhelmingly advantage short rest features?
>>
>>47770923
Maybe. You could try to mitigate it by saying that you only regain features regained on a short rest if you spend at least one hit die during that rest.
>>
>>47770902
The thing is they will probably not retreat because they are pretty dumb.
One thing I've been taking steps to avoid is giving a difficulty spike out of nowhere. This has been on my mind for some time so the big bad encounters have been getting harder and harder. Meaning, I am fudging less and less for them.
>>
>>47771076
cont. They just don't seem to believe in character mortality, Last big bad one of them nearly died. I think for that party member they are starting to get the idea.
>>
>>47771097
Reposting because I'm pretty sure that other thread is some sort of lich.

New DM here, and I've noticed the Druid and bard players are really starting to outshine my barbarian and fighter players. It's kind of ridiculous. I've talked to the fighter and barbarian players, and the Druid and bard players. The fighter and barb guys picked their classes cause they thought there would be a lot of combat in the game. Like it would be mostly fighting, with maybe 5% non combat interaction. Druid and bard guys thought it would be the standard split between 1/3rd combat, 1/3rd exploration, 1/3rd social interaction. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do here. I don't want to run a 95% combat game, that sounds boring as fuck. But I also don't know how to make the barbarian and fighter feel useful outside of combat. Any time something the fighter/barbarian could do comes up, the druid and bard make a good case for solving it by just having the druid polymorph the bard into a giant ape and using its higher strength stats to solve it. Even when the barbarian/fighter get to solve something with a skill check, they don't feel cool with it, cause all their skill checks are boring stuff, like athletics.

I'm at a loss of what to do here. What sorts of interesting things could a barbarian and fighter do that a druid and bard can't?
>>
>>47771178
Let them enter a good ol' fashioned tavern brawl, or give them a strength based tournament to participate in, no magic allowed.
Give them strength challenges where it wouldn't be possible for the druid to shape and outshine them.
Alternatively, save those strength challenges until after the druid has used up their wild shapes.
Drop them some sick ass magical equipment.
>>
>>47771178
Introduce an adventure or two where it's not possible to take many rests.
They'll get their combat fix for a bit and be able to outshine the magic users that have run out of mana.
>>
>>47771178

does anyone else feel like some variation of this gets posted literally every thread?

if you want them to be useful out of combat then give them situations where they can use their strength to interact with the world around them. they'll feel cool if you fluff it right. either way, if you put them in more fights they'll seem better than better, since (especially after level 5) a barbarian and a fighter should be way, way better at combat than a bard or a druid.
>>
>>47771178
Anything with anti magic or magic resistance really
>>
>>47769332
>implying you can't fuck an imp
>>
>>47771178
Use their backgrounds. Have NPCs who must interact with the fighter or the barbarian and will be insulted if some fucking minstrel tries to do the talking for them. A fighter and a barbarian are better suited to be the main characters of a story. Have it so nobody likes the druid and nobody respects the hired entertainment.

Also, make dungeons longer. Make the druid and bard's dependence on resources. Casters' power increases when new DMs make the common new DM mistake of having only one or two combats before a long rest. Include a lot of weak monsters with ranged attacks, like skeleton archers constantly harassing the casters and making them risk losing their concentration. Barbarians laugh at that shit.
>>
>>47771220
Hmm, a lot of that seems kind of contrived. I generally like to do semi-sandboxes, where all the resources that I'll use for the session are already placed, and it's up to the players to determine the order they go through things.

I guess I'll just have to get used to the idea of babysitting the non casters.

>>47771241
We're playing on 1 long rest is a week, and 1 short rest is 8 hours, and the spellcasters are still outshining them.

>>47771259
Well, I did repost this word for word from a dead thread to get advice I wasn't getting in it. But I can't speak about other threads. I want to avoid more fights, but I guess I can try to do strength checks that a giant ape can't do. Hopefully they'll surpass the giant ape on their own soon enough.

>>47771271
I'll try to include this more in fights.
>>
>>47771320
>We're playing on 1 long rest is a week, and 1 short rest is 8 hours, and the spellcasters are still outshining them.

How the fuck?
Do you fast forward through weeks at a time?
>>
>>47771320
>Hmm, a lot of that seems kind of contrived.
No shit, it was just shit I flung out of my ass in less than two seconds of brainstorming.
If you are all about muh sandbox, you can easily leave a poster around for some sort of tournament. If they want to do it they can, if not, fuck it.
>>
>>47771346
Yeah, we use the lifestyle expense rules. So adventures are generally structured to last more than a day. The players then might try to find some time to spend where they aren't in trouble for a week's worth of downtime, during which each of them might roleplay a social encounter or two, and then they get their long rest features back.

>>47771361
I guess what I'm worried about is most of the solutions so far involve adding more combat. Which is what I want to avoid. I feel 33/33/33 is a really good split.
>>
File: Tank Barb.png (39 KB, 836x914) Image search: [Google]
Tank Barb.png
39 KB, 836x914
>>47770353
It wouldn't be bad, but only if you also change Unarmored Defence's AC to 10+Con(mod)+Str(mod) and the Rage Damage clause to say >When you make a melee weapon attack using not Strength, but rather Dexterity, you gain a bonus to the damage roll.
Basically, anywhere in the Barbarian features where the word "Strength" appears, replace it with "Dexterity" and vice versa.

The Barbarian was designed intentionally for Rage Damage and Unarmored Defense to depend on opposite stats. Watch your player look at the Weapons Table after you give him the "Okay, with these additional alterations" and immediately say either "Come on!" or "Okay, never mind."

The barbarian was designed this way so that it wouldn't be overpowered as fuck. You can choose either
>excellent hitter with good AC (Fighty tanker)
>good hitter with excellent AC (Tanky fighter)
>pretty damn good hitter with pretty damn good AC (Fighty Tanky)

See pic related, I built a "good hitter with excellent AC" Barbarian and it's perfectly capable.
>>
>>47771346

I'm more wondering how the fuck a spell less bard and druid outshine a fighter in combat. Someone in this party is fucking up hard.

At level 2 a Moon Druid is probably better at combat than a fighter but by about level 5 the Fighter should be better than the Druid's forms, especially if they're GWF/master.

What archtypes are the Barbarian and Druid?
>>
>>47771384

The problem is the Fighter and the Barbarian (and DND in general) are combat classes. Their features revolve around fighting. One of them literally has Fight in it's name.

The barbarian, if they went Path of the Totem Warrior, will get out of combat utility from that, and the Fighter can go Eldritch Knight if they want to find out of combat utility. If you make the Bard and Druid use their spells/Wild shape out of combat to solve problems too, it means when you get to the Fighting the Barbarian and the Fighter will be the driving force behind their victories since they won't have used up their resources.

As for the social part, just let their character's personalities shine through in social encounters.
>>
>>47771414
I could see it in some rare cases if you know how to buikd a valor bard to hit and defend hard and the game is low level enough for both fighter and bard to still be at 2 attacks, but it's still a stretch
>>
>>47763850
>>47764038
What does Ribbon mean exactly when used in this context? Has that always been game terminology?
>>
>>47771446

It's a flavor ability t hat might not necessarily have any mechanical advantage. You can find a more precise definition in the Waterborne adventures Unearthed Arcana; the designers left a note about ribbon abilities in the Storm Sorcerer's page to talk about their mild weather controlling abilities.
>>
>>47762542
This is actually pretty good, altough i feel like the lvl 6 Feature should not cost SP. Further, that bonus attack could trigger with an Melee Attack too and not just a Cantrip. That and the fact it needs to be a different target should go away.
I feel like it could use Extra Attack (maybe through SP expenditure)if you dont want to change that bonus attack, but its not necessary.
Like i said, its pretty good. Balanced, flavorful and tasteful.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.