[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would the Imperium of Man react to discovering Hyperion from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: The shrike.jpg (95 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
The shrike.jpg
95 KB, 400x300
How would the Imperium of Man react to discovering Hyperion from the Dan Simmons novels?

On one hand, here are a bunch of backwards humans who have probably devolved into all kinds of heresy. On the other hand, they've got a level of technology that is so far advanced ahead of what the IoM has, that it is entirely probable that they'd shoot down an invasion fleet with small arms, so subduing the planet is probably on par with subduing a major faction.

Also, there's pic related, a weird monster from outside of time that just seems to appear in places and kill people for no easily discernible reason. There is no known defense against it, and just being in proximity to it exposes you to all kinds of weird time related diseases.
>>
>>47727551
The Ousters were just super evolved humans, right? To the point where there were hardly humans, thus the transhumanistic themes of this book, so how would the IoM react?
I imagine they wouldn't hesitate to call them Xenos. How powerful is the shrike really?
>>
>>47731015

It's a baby numidium that never turns off. Very bad.
>>
>>47731015

The Ousters aren't exactly superevolved, it's more that they decided to genoform instead of terraform. It's not even accurate to say there is a unified Ousters, rather there are a bunch of different Ouster sub-species adapted to this, that, or the other environments they run into.

I imagine the IoM would call them some sort of chaos-tinged mutants and try to get rid of them, but again, given the tech disparity between Hyperion and 40k, I'm not sure how much they could do. Even if they somehow won battles, the Ousters can literally retreat into reaches of space that aren't within any star system, and I'm not sure the IoM would know how to follow them.

>How powerful is the shrike really?

It's not quite all powerful, but it's the next thing to it.
>>
>>47731015
"How powerful is the Shrike really?"

Best-case scenario, he keeps the planet from being occupied because of Time-Tomb limitations.

Worst-case scenario… if I remember Endymion right the dude slaughtered the majority of a battle fleet's crew split between multiple ships. In melee combat. In the space of a handful of minutes.

Whatever ship he boards, the only people who'll stay alive are those he wants to stay alive.
>>
>>47727551
I've always wanted GW to plagiarize the Shrike. Perhaps an organic blade thing with multiple arms would be a good design for a revamped Keeper of Secrets.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 800x546) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 800x546
I want to know how the imperium would react to cybrids.They already have a bunch of funky tech stuff going on, it doesn't seem too far off from what the IoM already has.
>>
>>47732640

>Creating an Abominable Intelligence
>Desecrating a human form by sticking an Abominable Intelligence inside it.

The answer would be somewhere between PURGE and PURGE!!!!!!!!
>>
>>47731609

So a Space Marine squad lead by a Dan Abnett/ADB protagonist and a librarian (With a Dreadnought along for comic relief) could beat him no problem.

Remember, Nightbringer was killed by a Space Marine Captain in a punching match.
>>
>>47731015
Ousters most likely treated as ab-humans imo.
>>47731037
>>47731567
>>47731609

Wasn't the shrine killed by just one guy in o e of the books? There's some inconsistencies in the series
>>
>>47736841
It's been a while, but IIRC the Shrike doesn't exist in linear time the way we do and (had/has/will have) multiple controlling agencies, so for it to behave in a way we found logical would be even stranger.
I don't know offhand whether that was planned, or a retcon to make its inconsistencies acceptable.
>>
>>47736304
>Remember, Nightbringer was killed by a Space Marine Captain in a punching match.
Have you actually read the book
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.