[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to deal with autistic player? I have for the first time an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: autism.jpg (935 KB, 2530x759) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
935 KB, 2530x759
How to deal with autistic player? I have for the first time an autistic player in my round and I am unsure how to deal with it.
>>
>>47693175
Just treat him like you would yourself if you were a player.
>>
Depends how bad his autism is.
>>
The autism spectrum is very, very broad. Gauging what they have difficulty with is important. Also, don't let them get away with being an asshole just because they have a diagnosis. If they screw up or do something rude or offensive, gently explain to them exactly why it was wrong and ask them to avoid it in future. 'Gently gently' is a good way to start, although there's a point past which you need to call them on their shit.

I say this as someone with a diagnosis. I struggle a lot in social situations and have to work hard to keep the various rules and expectations in mind. When I screw up, I appreciate people telling me so I can try to improve, but I've met people in the past who attempt to use it as a catch all excuse to be a thoughtless dick and never have to improve.
>>
>>47693175

We need a reference; how does he react in-game?
>>
>>47693225
Indeed. There is a difference between honestly trying to improve and using your weakness as an excuse to not even try. Sure I may not get a job because I lack connections and the social skills of others, but I at least try to be a good person in public and do what I can to assist the community.

Not sure if it's the case with your fellow, but I find that I'll cycle through an option over and over unless someone gives me a hand out of it.
>>
File: GMing in a Nutshell.jpg (49 KB, 443x500) Image search: [Google]
GMing in a Nutshell.jpg
49 KB, 443x500
>>47693175
>>
>>47693175
Do you know them outside of the game?
>>
>>47693175
Quietly explain to him that his candidate doesn't have enough delegates and it's time to let it go.

When he inevitably shows his character card to be an old lunatic/champion of the oppressed, gently remind him of what you talked about earlier.
>>
>>47693175
But anon!
I AM the autistic player!
Well GM actually but hey
>>
File: CirkTKJUkAEfK83.jpg large.jpg (63 KB, 1024x599) Image search: [Google]
CirkTKJUkAEfK83.jpg large.jpg
63 KB, 1024x599
>>47694759
>>
I had a retard in one of my games
I was running a game group in the local Uni games club, back when I worked on campus. Recruited from some of the new comp Sci guys. Three volunteers, and I prod them into a gurps scifi game. Super simple premise.

Tard insists on playing an assassin. Hes a noob and I'm helping build a pc, and other than the words "he's an assasin" he can't think of things his pc would have or be good with. Nothing. No skills suggestions. No ideas on unique abilities. No contacts. Just "I'm an assassin"

I slap him a 150/-50 vanilla sniper and hand it to him on game day.

He lasted three sessions, until, out of the blue he threatened to murder someone if their character didn't go shopping with him. Just gun to the face "come buy things with me".

A Bro at the table(longtime friend helping wrangle) took the in-character action to defend the party and put the psycho down. I promptly asked him to leave, and told him he wasn't welcome anymore.

My first and last autistic at the table.
>>
Seriously, there are a million fucking manifestations of autism.

The guy who got me into RPGs was autistic, but barring a few weird quirks that he understands are bad and managed increasingly effectively and also a catastrophic lack of aesthetic sense, he could pass as a normal person.

But there are plenty of people between him and the 'drooling screaming tard rocking back and forward as they walk' type of autist who are still simply too much for me to fucking deal with, and I would never game with.

Honestly ASD is a pretty blanket term and I wouldn't really be able to judge whether I can manage someone until I've interacted with them for a while.

In your support though, I will say that I have never found an autistic person who couldn't be convinced to severely tone down whatever specific symptom they manifested by being repeatedly and firmly reminded it was an issue. I generally run into higher functioning autistic people and they make it seem much less like failing to understand social mores as having a few specific habits they fall into and enact unless they remain vigilant, kind of like picking your nose in public but with I dunno, treating the adjectives in a sentence as the verb or whatever. Or trying to touch women JESUS CHRIST.
>>
I dont know if my DM was autistic. He didn't know how to write NPC's and most social encounters in real life and in D&D went over his head. However, the guy was just a massive teddy bear, you couldn't not like him.
>>
The guys i play with are autistic in their own way, they roleplay their characters seriously (they act and all that shit) and one player characters is an Autistic Inquisitor
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.