[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - Thirsty Thursday Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: 57.jpg (46 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46 KB, 312x445
Good morning gang! Let's get it rolling with some judge and rules and policy questions!
>>
>>47691858
Slow morning.
>>
An opponent controls a chains of mephistopheles. I cast banishing light, it resolves, trigger resolves exiling chains of mephistopheles. Someone casts the Great Aurora. What does the result look like?
>>
>>47692609
>>47692609
Everyone shuffles their hand and all permanents they own into their library; this will include your Banishing Light, and the second it's gone from the board the duration of "until Banishing Light leaves the battlefield" ends and the Chains comes back. THEN you all go to draw cards equal to the number you shuffled away, except Chains of Mephistopheles is there. So, as you try to draw a card you must discard a card instead. You cannot, since your hand is empty, so you will mill 1. Repeat.

tl;dr shuffle your hand and all permanents you own into your library, then mill that many cards.
>>
Had this the other day: A player in a comp REL tournament calls judge and says "I have *points to path to exile*, and look at my board state (Chalice of the void set to 1, no other relevant effects), can I use *points to repeal* to let me do this?"
How would you answer this?
>>
>>47692758
I would probably start with "You can ask your question away from the table if you need to", and once we're away from the table where he doesn't need to talk in circles I would ask him to clarify his question.

It SEEMS like what he's wanting to do is cast a Repeal for X=0 to bounce the Chalice so he can cast Path to Exile, and depending on how he words his question I'd have to answer somewhere between "That is a legal play, yes" or "Yes, Chalice will counter your Repeal". I'm pretty sure I know what he's trying to ask, but I can't assume, because that could lead to me giving play advice.
>>
>>47692802
sweet, cheers.
>>
>>47692823
No problem. But yeah, something like that addresses a common "issue" with Judges- we're kinda like genies at times. I cannot answer the question I THINK you're asking, I can only answer the question you are actually asking, and that may not be the one you're trying to ask.

The only answer I can give you to the question "Can I target that spell/ability with Spellskite's ability?" is "Yes", because you can. I cannot tell you "Yes, but it won't do what you want", because I cannot make that assumption. If you ask me "If I activate Spellskite targeting his Equip activated ability, will it go onto Spellskite?" then I can answer "No, it won't", because you are asking the right question.

It's a point of contention with some judges. Some think the need to stay impartial and consistent is most important, so we should stick to only answering exactly what was asked, and not in any way try to hint that they're asking the wrong question. Others feel that acting this way is contrary to how Magic actually works, creating a "gotcha" moment where we punish someone for conveying an idea with the wrong set of words, which is not really present in the core game to that extent.
>>
>>47692823
>>47692802
To clarify, offerred away from table, and once aside he asked if Chalice would counter a repeal with X zero. So all good.
>>
>>47693060
Oh yeah, easy.

"Yeah, your Repeal has to have X=0 to hit Chalice, and that gives it CMC of 1, which means his trigger will counter it."

gg ez no re. The tough thing is when they're asking in circles and you have to answer the question they ask, watch them misunderstand it to be the answer to what they're TRYING to ask, and then lose a game because of that.
>>
>>47693030
Luckily for me, by volume I judge more FNMs and casual games than other events, and I feel in those events explaining the interactions they are confused about is more important.
>>
>>47693094
To an extent, but you do still need to be careful that you're not coaching the player.
>>
My opponent's Orzhov Pontiff takes lethal damage in combat. I have a Scavenging Ooze in play, and land available. Can I activate Scooze to eat the Pontiff before/in response to it haunting? Does that stop it haunting?
(technically I guess the question is whether Haunt is a replacement effect, or a graveyard trigger)
>>
>>47693204
You can, and it does. Haunt is a trigger.
>>
Have you ever been asked IRL to make a ruling with unhinged/unglued cards (Not in a sanctioned tournament of course).
>>
>>47693445
I have. And I use my Silver Bordered Answer to every Silver Bordered Question I get, whether it's in person or online, and regardless of if it makes sense or not.
>>
>>47693466
Wow you're fun.
>>
>>47693488
Eh, it's more that the actual rules don't apply to Un-stuff, and I really don't feel like sitting down and devoting too much brainpower to how something from a joke set 'should' work.

It's at least a funny answer. Every Silver Bordered Question gets the catch-all Silver Bordered Answer of "Sure, why not?"
>>
Can I only unmorph when I have priority? Same question for licids.
>>
>>47693698
Turning a face-down creature face-up via Morph is a special action, as is paying to end a Licid's effect. Special actions don't use the stack, but you do need priority to take them.
>>
>>47693729
If a creature with a licid enchanted on it is sacrificed, is there a window after announcing the sacrifice of the creature and before it goes into the graveyard as a state based effect during which the licid is recoverable?
>>
>>47694424
1) State-Based Action, not State Based Effect. They haven't been SBEs since like 2009.

2) That entirely depends on how it's being sacrificed. If saccing it is part of a spell or ability resolving, and they say "I'm gonna sac this" as a proposed shortcut, you can just end the duration when they pass priority to you. If saccing it is a cost, or you're waiting to see what they sac until the spell or ability is resolving, then no.

3) I'm going to get lunch, and will be back within the hour.
>>
Player 1 has Goblin Flectomancer on the battlefield, Player 2 casts Tendrils of Agony with 10 copies, can Player 1 sacrifice the Goblin Flectomancer to redirect all 10 copies, or just one?
>>
>>47694909
One. Storm creates 10 copies of the spell, it doesn't make one mega-spell with the text of Tendrils repeated 10 times.
>>
how do we save magic from the greedy Jews ruining it?
>>
Will you ever get over being a tiny dicked beta who isn't even good at remembering magic rulings?
>>
>>47695093
Friendliness.

>>47695253
Prolly not.
>>
i'm playing an archangel of thune and a nearheath chaplain
chaplain goes in for 3
my creatures only get 1 +1/+1?
>>
>>47695274
Indeed. Archangel doesn't care how much life you gain, it only triggers once per life-gain event.

Happily though, if you put multiple lifelinkers in the red zone, each one of those is a different life gain event. So if you swing with Angel and Chaplain, you'll dome for 6, gain 6, and put two +1/+1 counters on your team.
>>
>>47695302
And if you add exquisite blood to the mix, is the two creatures hitting now three or four lifegain triggers?
>>
>>47695345
Just three. The lifelink thing has each of them gaining you life as they connect, but Exquisite Blood is going to treat the combat damage as one event of life-loss, not two.
>>
>>47695302
awesome, that's what i thought
i swing with 4/1 bloodmad vampire unblocked. it gets the +1/+1 after dealing damage?
>>
>>47695379
Yes. It deals the combat damage, then the trigger fires, and when that trigger resolves it puts the counter on the Vampire. For a little while, it's still a 4/1 after it hits your opponent.
>>
>>47695366
Thanks, this comes up pretty often in my Karlov deck. Sorry to ask so many similar questions, but does extorting with exquisite blood out gets me lifegain triggers equal to the number of players in the game?
>>
>>47695405
It does, because that's three instances of an opponent losing life. That's three triggers, so you would cause each to lose 1 life and gain 3 total, then gain another 3 from the Blood triggers (three separate triggers for 1 life each)

And don't worry! I run a Trostani lifegain deck and it's very useful to be able to explain exactly why X Y Z happens that way when it seems fucky.

Also, for when your opponents invariably bust out Rain of Gore, it doesn't stop lifelink.
>>
>>47695443
Alright, last example. Does killing wave get me a trigger for every creature they keep alive or is the life loss all done at once?
>>
>>47695585
You're paying per creature, but all the life is paid at once to the same thing (the Killing Wave), so you get one huge trigger.
>>
>>47695643
Alright, thanks man. These threads are always nice to see
>>
>>47695655
Happy to help.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.