[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to be doing my first D&D session later on today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: paladin_by_soft_h-d9af01i.jpg (110 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
paladin_by_soft_h-d9af01i.jpg
110 KB, 1131x707
I am going to be doing my first D&D session later on today and have my eyes set on the Paladin. On the surface he is everything I want in a class: durable/tanky, wears plate armour and utilizes shield and swords.

Problem is when I read through the description it sounds like upholding justice is their #1 motivation and I can't think much else besides a goody two shoes or an overzealous justice fanatic akin to a Witch Hunter.

What other personalities could I give to provide me some more breathing space in regards to motivations, character flaws and so on?

I was considering a Paladin who on the surface is a justice upholding fellow but in truth is using it as a mental crutch to stop him from falling to his more violent impulses. I don't want it too deep but I don't want it 2-d either.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
By the book in 5th edition the paladin doesn't have any alignment restrictions now.
Play whoever you want and just use the Paladin class features.
>>
>>47625279
That's fine. The GM was pretty liberal in his explanation on what he was looking for, so I don't think the alignments are going to be followed too strictly.

My main issue is coming up with a character who isn't too farfetched like "Hammer Mc Hammerson" with his big hammer of smashiness, but isn't too heavy cause, since we're all beginners I think we're all going to be deers in headlights.

Would you have any experience of interesting Paladin characters you've worked with with which I could see examples of?
>>
File: thrust.png (1 MB, 1080x1444) Image search: [Google]
thrust.png
1 MB, 1080x1444
>a Paladin who on the surface is a justice upholding fellow but in truth is using it as a mental crutch to stop him from falling to his more violent impulses

This seems good. D&D doesn't lend itself to subtlety, though, so I could see this being particularly fun if your character has a habit of struggling with these violent tendencies aloud.

Other fun Paladins I've played with:

>a Paladin who is "too old for this shit," grizzled, war-weary, and taking no pleasure in violence, merely a grim acceptance of its necessity

> a Paladin who is overly idealistic, naive, inexperienced and easily misled - this type plays well with others who may not want to stick to law and justice

>a Paladin with a ridiculous sense of chivalry or fairness, the type to shout "Draw your weapons!" to an enemy before an ambush, highly vain, a glory-seeker

Basically Paladins are cheeseballs, with highly exaggerated character traits. If you can check your sense of irony at the door you'll have a blast!
>>
>>47625436
Thanks for that. I actually noticed the other Paladin thread for RIP AND TEAR for justice arch type but your post was reassuring. I did consider the grizzled, war-weary or naive type but I have difficulty working with things on the fly in terms of improvisation.

I am not very good at the irony and such, in fact I am brand new to the RP thing. How would you best say I portray the "crutch" to his violent impulses?

I cannot emphasize that I am a complete nooby to the RP thing so, take that into account if you have the time to post back with an explanation.
>>
What is it about Paladins that turns people into drooling retards? Is it the barest mention that they have some sort of moral code?

>I want to play a wizard but I don't want to have to be a nerd
>I want to play a rogue but I don't want to have to steal from everyone all the time
>I want to play a druid but I don't want to have to fuck trees
>I want to be a fighter but I don't want to have to only use sword and shield

You can definitely play a class as the most obvious interpretation of the fluff, sure, there's nothing really wrong with that. But there's absolutely nothing stopping you from adding any other character trait or archetype that you want.
>>
>>47625699
>>I want to be a fighter but I don't want to have to only use sword and shield
>fighter but i don't want to have to only use a sword and shield
>fighter, using sword and shield
>Fighter, sword and shield
>Fighter
>Not an Archer.
Don't ever talk to me or my son ever again.
>>
File: 1464967613771.png (345 KB, 500x560) Image search: [Google]
1464967613771.png
345 KB, 500x560
The best Paladin I ever had the joy of being in a game with was an Ex-criminal who took the oath to gain redemption.

He was super over the top and courageous, acting like a hero mainly to impress his estranged daughter.
>>
Be kind of heart and metal of fist. Protect and crusade. Never back down, never drop, never never betray yourself, your friends or your principles. Seed fear in enemys' hearts and awe in hearts of friends. Be an exeplary warrior.
Or at least struggle to be one.
>>
>>47625802

People with little to no experience with D&D look through the corebook, find the Fighter class, and immediately think "sword guy".

The fact the class lends itself to basically any combat style you want doesn't really manifest until you see someone else do it.
>>
>>47625963
That sounds pretty cool actually. Like the prisoner who finds god while he's incarcerated, except that god now wants you to smash things for him.
You wanna go back to jail, convict? Better get to cleaving and smiting!
>>
>>47625254
It just means that you are a zealot empowered by your religious beliefs. You could be a paladin of Cthulhu if you wanted to. Smiting the Servants of false gods and protecting cults of the great old ones.
>>
>>47627358
..... Paladin / warlock multi-class coming right up. I have my next character concept.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.