[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Stupid shit your PCs do. >Drow assassin player robs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 1457494491382.jpg (64 KB, 826x667) Image search: [Google]
1457494491382.jpg
64 KB, 826x667
ITT: Stupid shit your PCs do.

>Drow assassin player robs Dragonborn monk of his last two gold pieces.
>Dragonborn player is fairly new and decides that his character knows he stole the gold when he does not.
>Kicks down the Drow's door and begins to assault him.
>Guards come in and throw his ass in jail for attempted murder.
>Drow ask the druid if he can borrow two dragonfire flask.
>The druid being neutral just shrugs and hands them over.
>Drow torches the Dragonborn in his cell and he dies.
>Same session we get him a new character. A half orc ranger.
>They tell him to walk up to this warband and distract them while the rest of the party dispatches the orc sentries on the cliffs above.
>Immediately stabs lead orc and they throw down in an honor duel.
>Gets decapitated after 3 rounds of combat.

Two deaths in one session. A good night.
>>
>>47569764
>trusting the drow

Shit GM detected.
>>
>>47569816
>Shit GM detected.
I didn't tell them to trust him.
I bet you railroad your PCs fgt.
>>
File: 1244619903308.jpg (28 KB, 219x219) Image search: [Google]
1244619903308.jpg
28 KB, 219x219
>an unknown just airdropped and killed the last enemy of the PCs
>doesn't look like anything they've ever seen, the tech is radically different
>PCs call the boss man to see what he knows
>doesn't look like anything he's ever seen
>they try communicating with it in a multitude of languages
>nothing
>it's just standing there
>looking at them
>one player thinks it might not be hostile
>another much louder player knows it's hostile
>because his parents were military
>so this means he knows tactics and procedure
>or something
>rest of group falls in with him because he's louder and that makes him right
>>
>>47569911
>Because I'm louder I'm right

i shit you not, this is how most of the NPC's in my game die
>>
File: 1461262577566.png (213 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1461262577566.png
213 KB, 360x360
>>47569911
I don't think I want to play with these guys.
>>
>>47569911
always safer to assume something IS hostile than to assume it ISN'T.

if only my players were that careful.
>>
>>47569972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4ul-KKzdQ
>>
>>47569986
Now, to be fair, they DID touch artyom in a very private place as a child.
>>
>>47570031
It's hostile.

So he killed it.
>>
>>47570095
>open, if misunderstood, communication and attempts at self preservation are hostile
This is what cops and russians actually believe.
>>
>>47570130
They are not human so they must be killed.

The Metro is ours!
>>
>>47570138
>dehumanizing the enemy for PTSD-free killings
This is what Fourth Reichers actually believe.
>>
>>47570155
They are all dead so they cannot say anything.

The winners write the history books.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 450x300
>>47570169
You don't say...
>>
>>47570138
But neither are slavs.
>>
File: 1425342617742.gif (914 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1425342617742.gif
914 KB, 400x225
>start campaign
>small community somewhere between a town and a village
>couple hundred people and the community is nearly entirely human with some halfling refugees.
>PC's naturally head to the tavern when they arrive to find rooms for the night
>The town guard is having a party because their captain is retiring.
>PC's join the party and amidst the revelry the captain collapses, dead, of poison.
>The PC's are detained along with the barmaids delivering drinks, the cook, and the barkeep.
>PC's decide to break out of jail instead of waiting on trial
What why?
>Kill guards
Jesus christ what the fuck are you doing
>Take guard uniforms
>Pretend to be part of the watch
>They know town watch is small enough that they wre literally all on face to face relations and having a party at the tavern
>They have the fucking elves dress up, theres literally no elves in the town.
>They end up killing those guards too

The PC's are now spending their time avoiding the law and our running hounds. Why are PC's so fucking stupid? I'm going to start keeping a spray bottle filled with water so I can train them because they are literally no better than rabid animals.
>>
>>47570348
>The PC's are now spending their time avoiding the law and our running hounds. Why are PC's so fucking stupid? I'm going to start keeping a spray bottle filled with water so I can train them because they are literally no better than rabid animals.
No, you don't need that shit. The game is your spray bottle. If they do stupid shit which doesn't work, have that bite them in the ass. It's simple as that.
>>
>>47569911
This is the plot to mote in god's eye
>>
>>47570348
Well yeah, welcome to GMing, don't get discouraged after your first attempt.
>>
File: 1459598873516.gif (2 MB, 400x198) Image search: [Google]
1459598873516.gif
2 MB, 400x198
>>47569764
>PCs romping through the woods
>see some black bears
>easyXP.rtd
>halfway through slaughtering the bears, Druid remembers he's "a friend of nature" and attempts to communicate
>remaining bears are scared and angry....and cornered
>don't feel like talking
>druid not happy about the bears being less than cooperative since, y'know, he's a druid'n'shit
>tells bears to fuck off
>bears tell druid to fuck off
>fighter kills bears because they were being hostile

The ride never ends...
>>
>>47571873
>easyXP.rtd
>actually giving xp directly for killing shit
I seriously thought you retards were extinct for a decade
>>
>>47569764
>letting your players pick on the new guy
>playing with a pack of retards that pick on the new guy
Shit tier group detected.

>Guards come in
What kind of shit tier guard would take a Drow's word over a Dragonborn's? What kind of retarded Oblivion style "Stop right there, criminal scum" bullshit did you pull to have the guards show up before the monk/assassin fight had concluded?
>>
>>47571913
I did sit them down before hand and explain that exp would be granted on an encounter/challenge/scenario basis. They argued about exp being granted for kills...so I agreed to grant minimal exp (like 1/10) for "street mobs" as they called them.
The previous account was one of the first examples of them trying to grind out their level. It didn't work.
This is why JRPG fags are no longer welcome at my table.
They were also the type to "click" on anything they passed in the hopes of finding secret loot.
>>
>>47571873
>>easyXP.rtd

And this is why XP is something players in my group don't get to see and I'm tracking it for them, hidden.
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 350x263
>group is in the kings throne room
>king is praising their work clearing out orcs on the border and stopping a local crimelord (unrelated but they passed eachother on the street and the barbarian just up and stabbed the guy. Claimed he was doing a civic duty to local guards and bard backed him up.)
>bard fucks anything vaguely female and has on several occasions drunkenly raped barstools for having smooth thin legs
>likes to ham it up by RPing as a sleazy "Ay bay bee!" Type
>think some weird newyork italian mafioso type voice but acts like carl from aquateen
>sees the queen and princess next to the king
>interrupts the kings speech infront of the entire royal court
"AYY! Yous up there! Botha yous! Howabout we ditch the old fuck and yous can take a ride on MY throne!"
>says he's also serenading them with song from his lute
https://youtu.be/n63UbX5kzAc
Guess why its his bards signature song. go ahead, 3 tries you'll never get the awesome metajoke.
>barb is vocals of course cause he's currently offering to show both of them what donkey punching is
>seems legitimately surprised when fascinate and suggestion ain't doing shit and the king is livid
>second the guards surround him he starts stabbing
>everyone else remains calm minus the barb who is just having fun singing
>bard runs through the hallways stabbing literally anyone he sees
>gets a brilliant plan
>drags a maids corpse into a closet
>switches clothes with maid and puts on a bonnet
>is surprised his brilliant blood covered and knife holed disguise is instantly seen through
>continues running but now the guards are actually on his tail
>gets taken out by archers in the yard
>rest of the group is in deep shit but manages to get talk their way out of it as everyone saw the rest had nothing to do with the events minus the barb but you can't blame a retard who acts retarded
>bard player is trying to get me to have the party arrested through side chat so he can roll a thief who steals kings jewels in the dungeon.
>>
>>47572425
>Unanimous group decision behind my back then brought up to me not to invite him back
>didn't even hesitate
>>
>Hired by merchant lord to recuperate his lost ores because rat folks stole it from a ship he owned, wants the heads of them

Party and I investigate whereabouts of the street rats, find their hideout, We know they are decently armed and have a gigantic rat man like 9 feet tall and shit and built like a brick house

I'm ready to spam hold person on the tank, being a cleric and all. We enter the room and our warlock decides to talk to the rat leader. All the rats are startled but not at our throats yet. I'm expecting banter and shit. Nope, the warlock decides to be a morally upstanding gentlemen and ask for their side of the story and what other stupid nonsense

Rat folks don't wanna keep the ore anymore, want to sell it, we need it back at the Rakshasah merchant lord. He breaks a deal with them and even organizes their escape with a contact he has in the area.

We deliver half of the lord's payload, rest the rats kept.

Am I the murderhobo for wanting an actual fight, because the GM wanted a fight too, he planned it to be a fight.

We still got major XP for overcoming the encounter and fulfilling the quest, although we got less XP on the last part. I even leveled up to 4
>>
>Call of Cthulhu
>one player finds a dead byakhee fetus in some blankets in a closet of a house they were investigating and takes grievous sanity damage
>he freaks out and throws it at another player, who also now takes sanity damage
>rest of the party walks in on two screaming retards hurling a dead byakhee baby at each other, also taking sanity damage
>>
File: Rollin that 33.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Rollin that 33.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>47572546
>>
File: IMG__201604116__011443.jpg (74 KB, 199x298) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201604116__011443.jpg
74 KB, 199x298
>>47572288
>current group of players have all DM'd before.
>they have no trouble locating copies of any system we decide to run.
>out of the 4 of them, 3 take encounter notes...detailed encounter notes.
>break out the monster manuals (or equivalent) and crunch number.
>mfw 75% of my table calls me on when they should have levelled, if I was doing my math correctly.

My players are fun roleplayers, but OOC chatting is nothing but meta-speak about what the last encounter was worth. These guys can't file a tax return, but they have the MM memorized.
>>
>Pathfinder game
>At the end of our session, so things are winding down and our party is at a tavern just shooting the shit while we wrap up. I, the Bard, am the entertainment in between flirting with female patrons.
>Rogue decides to demand the owner sells him the building for way less than it's actually worth for no real reason
>Owner laughs in his face, spits in his drink and tells him that one's on the house
>Being the rational level-headed sort, the Rogue immediately shoots the bartender in the face.
>Barely hanging to life owner gets pissed and attacks, as do some of the tougher patrons.
>Witch hunter comes to his aid, I act disgusted and revolted and storm out dramatically with the rest of the patrons, then sneak back in through the back window to help the party survive.
>I, as the Bard, am mildly annoyed because this place was a regular payday for me, but willing to overlook it if the "new owner" still paid me for future performances.(Lawful Evil)

I can't remember exactly what happened afterwards as it's been over a year, but somehow the tavern ended up catching on fire and we ran off after getting drunk to murder the mayor for no reason.

Our absent party face , who was fluffed as "off negotiating with the mayor" at the time, had quite the surprise next session. As did we when the mayor apparently had 9 levels of Barbarian under his belt. That fight ended with the mayor throwing a coffee table at the Rogue and knocking him out.

The Rogue and Witch Hunter left the party, as the PCs couldn't justify them staying in the party after the stupid shit they pulled, I avoided taking sides in the mayor fight until there was a clear winner, so I was fine legally.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 480x360
>>47569764
>party fighting a hollow armor
>"you see it in the distance , segmented blackened plates cover the body. it wields a spear as long as 2 men. smoke rises from what looks like a horny helmet"
>player A, the big guy of the party: plate armor , huh? i ditch my spear and use my sledge instead.
>he approaches it and gets initiative
>runs at him
>"the knight brings his spear down to aim the tip at you. he makes a counterattack"
(longer reach gets counterattack-opportunities)
>"i try to tank it"
>he hits PC A
>"i apply my armor's deflection bonus! +20"
>the knight surpassed agility+deflection
>direct hit , what is your resistance? okay , 10 damage , impact. you feel as if your opponent almost achieved a CRITICAL hit. your armor has a little dent now
>he attacks again , pushed the thrust aside with his buckler and lands a one-handed hit with his sledge
>"your enemy is unimpressed , but his pauldron visibly dented"
>"I PULL OUT MY SWORD AND STRIKE AT HIM"
>direct hit , no damage
>"WHAT THE FUCK BUT I ROLLED THIS HIGH"
>you struck a tank with shortsword , what do you expect? (10 damage vs 30 resistance)
>"but it i should have attacked his armor gaps!"
>you cant do it with a slashing attack.
>okay , i step out of his reach and get ready to defend
>he runs back at him and tries to thrust his blade into the gaps
>gets hit in the following counterattack

...and thus , the other 2 members finally loaded their weapons and covered the foe in crossbow bolts...

>so why did you not use your spear back then?
>my sword has better critical damage
>>
>>47572664
This is why I make up my own monsters and shit when playing with other DMs. They can't NOT metagame, even if they don't intend to.
>>
>>47572735
As a DM and general shitlord, I can confirm this.
>>
>>47572492
>less XP for solving a situation through roleplay instead of just jumping into combat

lol
>>
>>47572664
Stop putting up with their bullshit, you're the DM and those enemies are worth exactly as much XP as you say they are. The group I play with just get arbitrary XP and level ups after each session for the group like how pretty much every other system does.
>>
>>47569764
>party is navigating a warzone
>get rushed by a crowd of people
>party is smug, but lets themselves get surrounded
>WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID THEY HIT MY ARMOR CLASS REEEEEEE
nobody died but it was fun watching them cry and moan as they got flanked
if the wizard wasn't fucking retarded nothing would have happened
>>
>>47572492
>rest the rats kept.

The warlock is a beta bitch
>>
>>47572713
Which game?
>>
>>47570348
You know what happens to my PCs when they do stupid shit? They die from their actions.
>>
>>47571919
>Implying picking on him.
He stole 2 gold and then attacked him with no proof.

And the guards were elves. The drow was disguised as a normal elf.

The drow did not even fight. He got stunned and ate two turns of ass beating before the druid used vines to snare his ass.
>>
>>47573987
a shitty homebrew
a medieval campain about reconquering the land after a magical apocalypse.
demons and dragons and undead and shit in NotIsrael
>>
>>47572753
>>47572735
I need to do the same all the time.
Most are new but one if a forever DM that I took over for and he knows all my tricks.

Getting irritating.
>>
>>47569911
You might have changed the wording but I've seen this post before anon
>>
>>47572546
I shouldn't laugh. But fuck me sideways did I get a weird look at work.
>>
>>47572546
stuff like this is why I fundamentally don't understand call of cthulhu in rpg form. You're about half a step away from any 'scary' situation becoming totally farcical, I don't know how you can manage to swing back and forth on tone like this.
>>
>>47570348
made me lol
>>
>>47569911
>loud guy is now the leader

Every game I've ever played in, but only because the party keeps making murderhobos, and the sensible character can't overcome the rest of the group's lust for violence.
>>
>>47572873
Why is this the Wizards fault
Story time pls
>>
>>47575048
>You're about half a step away from any 'scary' situation
You know how in movies that feature British people are always talking about "You're mad!" or "That's madness!" and the popularity of fiction about savages, like Tarzan or the exploits of the African explorers...? Victorian culture was like that: civilization is achieved, hard-fought-and-won, but we all know savagery and death is right outside the door, and madness is one failed roll away as soon as you open that closet door.
>>
>>47575048
It's a bad system desu.
>>
>>47569764
>letting the drow steal from other party members, especially in such a petty way
>letting the monk act on OoC knowledge
>having the guards arrest an unarmed man for attempted murder instead of assault
>neutrality means you let people 'borrow' your one-use explosives without even asking why
>dragonborn being kept in a cell that's someone vulnerable to fire but not repeated uses of dragonbreath

I'm sure this totally happened
>>
>>47572451
i personally like to disinvite the person having the most fun, because i'm a dick
>>
>>47570155
>>dehumanizing the enemy for PTSD-free killings
>This is what Fourth Reichers actually believe.
Not to butt in, but this is what ANY military that's worth a damn believes. Find me a military force that does otherwise, and actually has successful operations under their belt. I'll wait.
>>
>>47569764

Is the drow player your girlfriend? Because I am getting that vibe based on the guards coming to the drows rescue when they get comeuppence from another player for their actions, but then failing to do anything to stop the drow from outright killing the dragonborn later. Seems like NPCs in your game only interfere when it would benefit the drow.

"Two guys fighting in a house soemwhere? ONE THE SCENE ASAP. Someone lights our jail on fire? What jail? I never knew we had a jail..."
>>
>>47578050
>Not letting party members do what they want and railroading them.
>Dragonborn knew he was robbed and assumed Drow, he was correct in his assumption but still had no proof.
>Dragonborn monk can kill shit with his hands, his hands are weapons.
>Druid literally does not give a shit, hands them over.
>Dragonborn's cell was a pit in the ground covered by a heavy steel grate guarded by two elves wearing armor and wielding spears.

I bet you are awesome at DMing.
:^)
>>
>>47578280
And they go home and are unable to function as human beings because they were turned into racist sociopaths
>>
>>47578301
>No proof of robbery
>Elf town.
>In the Drows room beating his ass unprovoked.
>Drow is not even fighting.

Tell me how I am favoring the Drow again?

This all happened because the Dragonborn is a retard.
>>
>>47578311
Not the vast majority of them. They're usually just fine. You only hear about the crazy ones because the sane ones aren't worth reporting.
>>
>>47578354
>Elf town
Drow should be shoot on sight then
>>
>>47578405
See
>>47574122
>>
>>47578354

Do they wear something on their shirt that says "Hello! I am a monk!"

>Get into a fight
That's attempted murder!

>Firebomb someone who could not fight or escape who, in your words, was under guard
Nah, they get away fine.
>>
>>47578562
>They know he is a monk. He announced it to everyone. He is that type of person.

>As the guards run in he literally says I WILL KILL YOU

>It's only illigal if you get caught anon.

You sound like so much fun.
>>
>>47570348
>village not big enough to be a town has town guard with several employees

Is your setting a video game?
>>
>>47574122
>White-face
That drow was more racist than normal.
>>
>>47578562
Actually scratch that you sound like the same person that died twice in my game last night.

Doing stupid shit and expecting the DM to save your ass.

I don't play favorites I mediate and interpret the rules for my players.

Yes is a good word. Use it.

Use no only when it is a certainty.
>>
>>47578709
It is pretty funny.

The party knows he is a drow but let him be cause he has saved the original members on a few occasions.
>>
>>47578724
Not the same anon, but I find that No, but is also useful in the event you want to say yes, but don't want the party to kill each other.
>>
>>47578785
I lay down a small foundation to build off of and give them something bigger to achieve. But you should never expect your well written story to survive contact with your PCs unscathed.

That is why I point them in a direction and if they dont want to fine.
But there will be consequences.

Like not slaying the lich and having an army of skeletons attacking a month later.
>>
>>47578868
Good end, in my books.
>>
>>47578785
And on the party killing each other part.
If they want to kill each other I am fine with it.

As long as I and they are having fun we all win.
>>
>>47578311
Hey, I'm a racist sociopath made by my country's military and I like to think I,m not that bad.
>>
>>47570348
Let me tell you a story friend.
I was running a zombie apocalypse themed campagin, the players started becoming completely psychotic. They robbed a homeless man trying to find his family they tortured him and taunted him. They said they were men of God to be edgy, but they didn't show any respect for the religion they supposedly held. They killed innocents and even burnt a church down because they were offered payment from the villains. They defeated the many npcs I had made for them to befriend, they killed and killed until they "won". As they sat atop their pile of wealth and dozens of loyal warriors, they started looking for enemy's only to find a few scraggly survivor's and a man named Johnny. Soon Johnny and his band of heroes gathered the remaining people and fought a last stand against the PC's. As their apocalypse kingdom stood in ruin they stood off against Johnny. They realized he was that homeless man they robbed so long ago. He found his family dead, they killed themselves a few day before he got to them. Start playing God's gunna cut you down. Tells his speach to them, how someday somebody's gunna rebuild this world, and when they rebuild, there's not gunna be a place in this world for people like them. They shoot him. Johnny's done for, shot in the gut, he lays dying, PC's go and taunt him as they so long ago. As they prepared to kill him he revealed clutched in his fist, a dead man's switch.
The town rebuilds, the players are rembered as cruel masters from long ago, they only remain as boogieman figures parents use to scare their kids. Johnny has a statue near the rebuilt church, the town, Johnstown's Maryland.
>>
>>47572788
I don't even bother with XP. I just say "You guys are level 4 now" after a particularly long and fruitful session.
>>
>>47578309
>I wanna slit each party members throats while they sleep
>What? No
>STOP RAILROADING ME REEEEEEE
>>
>>47579124
Nope. I say go ahead and do it
If he gets caught he dies.

If he does not they all die.

Simple as that. Almost like a real breathing world. Strange I know you dont understand the concept.
>>
File: Idiots.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Idiots.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>47569764
Playing Rogue Trader, I'm the RT

>clear a bunch of Rak Gol from a derelict imperial ship.
>there's a bunch of never before seen alien-human hybrid tech on board.
>looting time
>back on the main ship, the senechal starts testing random tech without telling anyone.
>before we can wrestle the controls away, he somehow creates a portal to an alien realm.
>strange gasses come out. No one is wearing void suits.
>RT fails a toughness check. My face is now covered with oozing, pus-filled, sores.
It gets worse.

>Senechal still wants to test tech. RT says not on my ship.
>senechal, along with astropath and arch-militant, take a shuttle to continue testing on the derelict.
Not wanting to be near this stupidity, I only send a servo-scull and watch from the safety of the bridge.

>senechal finds a xenos-gun and shoots a prisoner with it.
>nothing happens.
>arch-militant jokingly tells senechal to try shooting himself in the foot next time.
>senechal actually SHOOTS HIMSELF IN THE FOOT with an untested alien weapon.
>nothing happens.
>he tries shooting the prisoner harder,
>the prisoner explodes into chunks of gore.

>senechal's foot starts swelling and oozing black blood.
>the arch-militant chops the limb off. The foot promptly also explodes into gore as well.
But the stupidity doesn't end here.

>On a shuttle back to the main ship
>senechal is in critical condition
>the astropath starts laughing at the senechal for being such a fucking idiot.
>the senechal shoots the astropath with the alien gun.
>astropath fails to dodge, his leg explodes.
>arch-militant executes the senechal.
>GM allows the senechal to roll to hold down the trigger to his gun as he dies.
>the beam hits the arch-militant.

MFW I'm watching all this from the safety of the bridge.
MFW All three PC's on the shuttle die.
MFW this ends the campaign.
>>
File: IMG__201605148__114654.jpg (130 KB, 407x340) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201605148__114654.jpg
130 KB, 407x340
>47571873
Posted this in another thread.
Same group as >47569764 but different game.
>playing D&D Expert Edition
>Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue2, and Fighter skulking around the hideout of suspected smugglers/forgers
>mess around a bit and maintain "stealth" by bashing heads and hiding bodies.
>come up to narrow room with high ceiling and large double doors at the other end.
>sitting on a chair and propped in the corner (but still close to the doors) is the only guard...he's sleeping...and he's an Ogre.
>Rogue pulls out his crossbow.
>sneaks up to Ogre guard and point blanks him in the chest.
>Ogre stunned. Falls from his chair, groggy, wounded, pissed.
>party charges.
>Ogre rights himself.
>Rogue nopes the fuck out of there and shuts the doors behind him, sealing the party inside.
>Ogre pulls a ring from his pocket. Ogre is now invisible. Starts beating face.
>Rogue2 trying to pick lock of double door. Wizard plinks with his sling cuz out of magic today. Cleric and Fighter fend off Ogre while yelling at Rogue.
>Rogue finally comes back into the room.
>Cleric "bends bars/lifts gates" to pick up the Rogue and swing him like a skinny, screaming flail.
>Finally kill Ogre.
>Rogue near death.
>Cleric carries him over his shoulder as an "improvised weapon" for rest of session.
>>
>>47579419
I hate his phone.
>>
>>47569764
>dickish asshole steals the ascetic monk's entire fortune
>fng player decides to metagame
>druid lets other player use his equipment to fuck over other party members
>dm decides to let this all happen and hang up his game

You cunts sound like a fun lot.
>>
>>47579419
>Cleric using a rogue as a weapon.

I would think that is an improvised weapon at best.
>>
>>47579435
Yeah we have fun.
>>
>>47569764 the drow face of the party attempting to chicken dance while levitating and stealing a ruby the size of himself for no reason other then it was there.
>>
>>47580565
wat?
>>
>>47578680
I was just drawing upon like what a small police department would be, I assumed since they don't have guns they might need like 2-3 people more than average.
>>
>>47579185
>letting some fag ruin other peoples' fun cause lol so randumb
I bet you're a great GM :^)
>>
>>47572546
kekked
>>
>>47579387
Bad DM- one should always try to keep the PCs alive if it's that obvious they will die- gun is out of ammo etc
>>
>>47582381
>>47583032
>not letting PCs make decisions (even bad ones)
>not having consequences for those decisions

You guys should just start a book club instead of subjecting players to whatever railroading trash you're trying to run.
>>
>>47578309

Right. I'm glad he was wearing his 'Hello, I am a Monk' nametag so the guards were aware of that.

>Dragonborn's cell was a pit in the ground covered by a heavy steel grate guarded by two elves wearing armor and wielding spears.

And I'm really glad those guards are so terrible at noticing someone lobbing explosives towards them
>>
>>47578309

So apparently people can just lob grenades into a prisoner's cell and nobody bat an eye?

You can't even bring a toothbrush into most federal prisons yet somehow this bitch was able to smuggle in two explosives without anyone noticing one bit?
>>
>>47578354

>Random unarmed dragonborn

Throw him in jail!

>Drow bitch who lobbed live grenades into a prisoner's cell

Meh, whatever, it's cool.

That and drow are basically hated to most surface dwelling species, especially elves.
>>
>>47579185

So basically, the guy who plays an edge-lord can get away with murdering everyone else's characters but the monk who retaliates to getting his shit stolen gets stuffed in jail for attempted murder?

Are you absolutely fucking mad?

Are you at least getting drow bitch to suck you off between sessions?

Tell me you don't pertain in such faggotry for free.
>>
>>47569764
>Player 1 has a small cat for a pet
>Player 2 killed and skinned a large boar
>The cat likes to curl up on the pelt
>Player 2 takes cat and throw it behind him
>Wasn't paying attention to the map
>Throw cat into the river
>Player 1 and 2 proceed to brutally kill each other and get into a heated argument OOC

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>47583529
lmao, make's perfect sense for people who just met
>>
>>47583254

>not letting PCs make decisions (even bad ones)

Nobody should be able to make a decision that makes the game worse for everyone else.

What's the point of an "emergent world" if the PCs are too focused on killing each other to notice?

Might as well just have them throw down in an arena, at least it'd be more honest than having some edge-lord gank them in their sleep and calling it a good thing.
>>
File: 1422192304387.jpg (177 KB, 1412x850) Image search: [Google]
1422192304387.jpg
177 KB, 1412x850
I put my players near a very intelligent hill giant. He started at 9int (which in giant terms is quite a lot), and got his hands on a +4 headband and put his lvl 4 stat advancement into int (he was a level 4 fighter)

They first met him in the woods, a hill giant in full plate, roasting an bear over a fire. They tried to talk to him. He told them he had a long day marching and had no patience for small folk bothering him, and to leave him be to his business. The party paladin detected evil, and it turns out that the Hill Giant was indeed evil. He wasn't doing anything evil, just making dinner, but he was an evil person. The party discussed not 100 feet from his camp that they should kill him. The giant heard and was like "fuck these humans". After getting his gear back on he charged out of the trees bearing down on one of them. He killed the caster first and took a round to full attack someone else and wound them, and then charged back off into the woods. The players put up a pursuit (stuffing the caster's body into a bag of holding), and got ambushed by the hill giant in a boxed off crevice. The giant TPK'd the party.

In the giant's mind he gave them the opportunity not to put of a pursuit, they did anyway.

My players were fucking pissed. I wanted the giant to be a reoccurring character but they couldn't just leave him alone.
>>
>>47583460
Don't forget that Elves also have Darkvision and Perception bonuses. Even if this Drow was pretty skilled at Disguise and Sneaking, they should have had a really hard time of it.

Also, I somewhat question the prisoner's cell having enough space to fit a grenade through. You wouldn't want someone accidentally stepping on it and their leg falling in, or the prisoner to reach out and yank someone down.
>>
>>47583516
>edgelord steals two coins from Dragondude
>Dragondude meta games and confronts edgelord, leading to a brawl
>guards show up and kick both their teeth in
>throw Dragondude in poorly supervised jail
>edgelord does his first edgelord thing and throws explosives (obtained from another PC, giving no fucks about it) down jail
>Dragondude rolls new character and is now Orcdude
>Orcdude bitchslaps first bandit lord he sees and dies very quickly

Jesus fuck dude did you read the thing? Bunch of shitters being shitters. GM did what a GM is supposed to do and provide narrative context and consequence to the game world.
>>
>>47583557
>Nobody should be able to make a decision that makes the game worse for everyone else.
Then write a book to tell your story instead of leaving it in the hands of PCs who are encouraged to do...wait for it...whatever they fucking want.
>>
>>47583627
I remember this story. Still sounds like your fault for making him Evil. People aren't just casually Evil, that means that Giant has either murdered quite a few people or done something similarly bad.

The Paladin can't exactly not attack him either, since otherwise he'd risk falling. I mean, the Giant is evil. Once he finishes his meal and goes off to stomp orphans or whatever, that'd be on him.

100 feet away is a pretty sizable distance. That's 30 yards, and unless they're yelling, the giant next to a roaring fire probably isn't going to make out many details.

Furthermore, if you really wanted him to be a recurring character, you should have had him leave when he heard them talking about killing him. He'd have no way of knowing how strong these random adventurer's are, so he shouldn't try taking them alone and unprepared.

So yeah, shit tier DMing/gr8 b8
>>
>>47583689

The GM was the biggest shitter in the world for even letting it happen in the first place.

There are times when you step back and let shit happens and there are times when you stop because the player doesn't understand what's happening.

Think about it, how many new players have you seen do stupid shit because they just didn't understand what was going on until you sat down and explained to them what was up?

Hell, learning how to not meta-game is a skill that even veterans have trouble with, it's unreasonable to punish someone for doing something that they didn't know was wrong, especially if he was provoked by another player who antagonized him just because they were a being a cunt.

That and how was the drow able to smuggle in explosives? That still hasn't been explained.
>>
>>47583689
Except the GM didn't do what he was supposed to do to make sure people didn't metagame, and the reactions of the NPCs didn't even make sense.

>This guy is punching an elf, let's arrest him for murder.

Assault, at best, because they have no way of knowing it's a Monk. They also evidentally let the Drow go free without questioning or medical attention.

>Two Elven guards neglect to notice someone throwing explosives at them, and then proceed to do nothing about it

The entire series of events is retarded. I don't think the players were blameless, but the DM did nothing but make it worse
>>
>>47583753
>must attack any evil individual or fall
90% of paladins don't have "purse all evil all the time" in their codes
>>
>>47583749

How is "I slit their throats, the end" a compelling story though?

Because apparently you're happy to play favorites with people who actively make the game shit.
>>
>>47583749
>"I kill the rest of the party in their sleep!"
>"What the hell man?"
>"Not cool."
>"Why would you do that?"
>"As the DM, I'm going to rule you don't do that."
>"REEEE you railroading shitlord. Go write a book if you don't want us to have any FREEDOM."

>Next Week

>"Alright, I've kicked So-and-so out of the group, and we're retconning his character killing you all."
>"Great, now we can actually have fun and play the fucking game."
>>
>>47583804
They do have clauses about associating with evil, as well as protecting innocents.

Even if it isn't technically against his code, he wouldn't be much of a Paladin if he decided not to smite something evil.

And again, Evil creatures aren't just a philosophy you disagree with or someone who's a bit rude to telemarketers. They're outright sociopaths who would kill anyone who opposed them if they thought they could get away with it.
>>
>>47569764
>argues with the commisar
>gets put into a tau propaganda film
>tries to get xenos wargear
>takes a slaneeshi "combat stim"
>Get ambushed by orcs disguised as a squad of guardsmen getting ambushed by a squad of cultists disguised as the rest of the squad of guardsmen. Proceed to assist cultists and xenos.
>walk through the human rebel occupied slums in tautown after word spreads he is a sympathiser.

Good times. One more for luck (same player doff campaign)

>walks into a room of plague zombies preaching the word of nurgle to listen to the sermon.
Last one was only cause of death sadly.

Told him i had a "heresy meter" which was the commisars opinion of him, and if it dropped too low he would get a special delivery of mercy. Calmed him down a bit :)
>>
>>47572425
Oh my god I'm dying
>>
>>47583753

First off, wearing certain magical items taints your alignment to appearing as evil so it's not like every evil person you meet is a baby raping psycho or something.

Second off, Paladins aren't supposed to be smite-happy, they're supposed to basically be the knight in shining armor who guides the ignorant and protects the weak. Slaying every evil thing you see just because it's evil is no different than an anti-paladin slaying an entire village just because he detected good.

Third, 100 ft. to a 10-20 ft. giant would basically be the equivalent of 5-10 squares. Even if we assume the giant couldn't hear them clearly, having a bunch of faggots talking near you when you've already made it clear that you don't want to be bothered is pretty fucking stupid of them, especially when most beasts will murder you for stepping one foot into their territory.

Lastly, the fact that he didn't immediately murder everyone with the first ambush should've been enough clue to say "well, we overestimated this guy, let's take the corpses and go" but no, they decided to run after him and got stomped on for their troubles.

The party sounded like assholes who thought that the GM wasn't going to send in something they couldn't gank for free XP. We need more GMs willing to put a boot up an ass so this cancer dies out for good.
>>
>>47569764

>Working merc job for merchant
>gobbos attack
>kill like 15 grunts and three sergeants
>tide of battle turns
>gobbos are winning
>run
>to a cliff
>gobbos follow
>jump off cliff

And that was the introduction to our campaign
>>
>>47583922
Those items tend to do that for a reason, but detecting someone as evil should at the very least warrant further investigation. Either way, it wasn't the case here as the guy telling it to us confirmed he was evil. And again, randomly making someone Evil, or making them Detect as Evil, and then expecting the Paladin to just leave them alone is dumb when you could have just not made them evil.

And yes, if a Paladin detects something as Evil, they should have good cause to either smite them or arrest them, because being Evil means you've done some serious crimes. If they weren't a danger to innocents, they wouldn't be detecting as Evil barring magical interference.

No, giants don't get double-hearing distance just by default. If anything, they should have worse hearing because the things they're trying to hear are so small. Imagine trying to listen for a dog barking, then replace it with a mouse squeaking. Yes, they could have been more subtle about it.

Lastly, the giant jumping out of nowhere and beating up the squishy wizard in one hit isn't exactly a clear show of force. They could have assumed he got lucky, or that the rest of them would be able to take him down, but they didn't.

This sounds more to me like a GM who wanted to go 'oh but no it's a friendly misunderstood evil giant. see how non-cliche I am?' and then had it be way too threatening for the party to handle when they thought they could play it straight.
>>
>>47583863
There are degrees of evil. We see very mild LE and very major LE. Attacking anyone who is evil even if they're not doing anything evil, especially in your have no proof they have done something evil, does not make you lawful. One can be an innocent and evil. One can be a sociopath with no actual crimes committed.

In the case of the giant he explained that the giant was a mercenary commander who was specialized in conducting sieges. His atrocities were all occurred while at war under orders. Seems extreme to try and stab him on sight.

You're the dumb one.
>>
>>47580704
the party got their hands on Baba Yaga's hut and he couldn't think of a proper hand signal for "magical annoying hut" the player decided the best action was to do the chicken dance. made the group bust out laughing as the Fabio level of ego that is the drow in mid air doing the chicken dance made our night.
>>
>>47584010
There is a lot wrong here, but the way I see it is that if he was innocent, just following orders, never actually commited any crimes, wasn't a sociopath, had been spending many years living peacefully, and had no intent of doing evil again, then he shouldn't have pinged as Evil.

He'd be Lawful Neutral, as Alignment can change.

And again, the DM tried to introduce a recurring NPC who was Evil in a party with a Paladin. He's retarded for not putting 2 and 2 together.
>>
>>47569883
He means the guards, what are race relations like? Normally guards are under high scrutiny.
>>
>>47584070
He didn't commit any crimes, but he did rape and pillage. None of that is a crime during war.
>>
>>47584104
*Drow are under high scrutiny
>>
>>47584117
Again, a lot wrong here, but in that case it depends. Did he rape and pillage just because of orders, or did he enjoy it? Does he regret raping and pillaging?

You're basically saying he was Evil a long time ago, and is still Evil now, but isn't EVIL Evil. In which case he should be Lawful Neutral if he isn't actually Evil.
>>
>>47584151
Nah he's evil, just all his evil was done within the law. The character in question hadn't done anything evil in a while because he had been travelling for months and it wasn't war time. Basically someone who doesn't want to go to prison so he isn't just gonna stab someone in the streets.

Keeps all his evil to war time so he can act as a functional member of society.
>>
>>47584204
>Nah he's evil, just all his evil was done within the law.

So still Evil, which changes nothing.

>Basically someone who doesn't want to go to prison so he isn't just gonna stab someone in the streets.

So still Evil, because again, Evil characters in D&D aren't stupid. They won't kill people if they don't think they can get away with it. If they do? Then yes.

If he had the intent of raping and pillaging more once the next war rolled around? Then yeah, still Evil.

And Paladins shouldn't really be caring if the Evil that was done was legal or not. If a Paladin goes to the lands of Baron von Torment to find evil citizens raping or stabbing eachother in the streets because there's no law against it, he doesn't shrug his shoulders and move on.
>>
>>47584204
>>47584247

Just for argument's sake, here's the Paladin Oath from 3.5, which I assume they were playing because they had Detect Evil and Monsters taking Class Levels.

>Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
>punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

So the Evil Giant raped and pillage some village or town, possibly several, during a war. Raping and pillaging tends to occur to non-combatants, so this would likely consist of at least a few innocents.

Thus, the Paladin is well within his code to smite him.
>>
>>47584247
>>47584394
They're also supposed to respect legitimate authority. By the laws of the land he had committed no crimes and was due no trial, certainly not waiting execution. Taking the law into one's own hands is acting as a vigilante, and more CG and LG.
>>
>>47584489

The paladin is a law. Rape and murder are crimes regardless of whether any court would prosecute them. Good always comes before law.

That being said, a paladin is not obligated to throw himself into a hopelessly powerful enemy's sword. What would be appropriate is immediately contacting someone who could deal with it
>>
>>47584489
Except Paladins are the Law. Their class features allow them to serve as Judge, Jury, and Executioner pretty effectively.

You could also easily say that to the Paladin and their God, and military whose Orders involve soldiers becoming evil clearly isn't a legitimate authority whose laws are worthy of respect.

But if you want to argue that, then this becomes a 'DM forces the Paladin to fall' scenario where he either had to Smite the Giant for harming innocents and fall because it technically didn't commit a crime, or ignore the Giant and fall for not punishing him.

So really, you're trying to say that all Paladins should never Detect Evil, because there's a good chance they'll detect one of these 'innocent Evildoers' and be caught in a Catch 22.
>>
>>47572664
Most of my group is similar, but in the way that we've been playing for so long that they can eyeball almost everything about a monster to within a number or two, plus know the best way to take them down. Have to create new monsters and adaptions pretty regularly to keep them on their toes, but even templates aren't as easy to fool them with by now.

Think we need to move to a new system. Preferably modular. Maybe give M&M a try, it's not quite D&D.
>>
File: 1464580543538.jpg (69 KB, 750x714) Image search: [Google]
1464580543538.jpg
69 KB, 750x714
>>47569764
>make plans, draw maps, write backstory
>players characters
>>
>>47584489
>>47584568
A fair punishment might be to bring the giant subdued to one of the towns he raped & pillaged and try him there.

I'm sure they'll give him a perfectly fitting trial.
>>
>>47584568
Well, they presumably retreated to discuss the best course of action and a possible plan of attack.

They just didn't count on the Giant having an amazing Perception score.
>>
>>47584599
Assuming a town exists. Also one would have to bring more than just him, but everyone that was there.

Also there is a reason we don't put victims on the jury.

>>47584577
>>47584568
Sounds like chaotic talk to me.

Personally I can see it justifiable in either direction. In either case not a fall worthy offense, it's moral grey area.
>>
File: TWO LEGS.jpg (323 KB, 879x500) Image search: [Google]
TWO LEGS.jpg
323 KB, 879x500
>>47572546
I fucking love critical sanity loss situations
>>
>>47584640
>Assuming a town exists

Well if he destroyed a town, then I'd say smiting him is definitely reasonable.

>Also one would have to bring more than just him, but everyone that was there.

If you can find them, surely

>Also there is a reason we don't put victims on the jury.

There's also a reason we came up with War Crimes. Applying modern law to this isn't exactly the best argument.
>>
>>47584640
Maybe it is something he would fall for, maybe it isn't.

But that isn't the important part. This isn't about what the code says the Paladin should do. It's what the Paladin, being the upright and upstanding moral individual that he is, thinks is justice in this situation.

Here, before him, he has an Evil giant. While he might have some rare magical item that's interferring with that, I think we've established that the Giant being Evil means he's harmed innocents in the past, and may do so in the future.

While Paladins shouldn't be smite-bots all the time, the conclusion to attack him isn't some stupid leap of logic. It's a perfectly reasonable course of action for the Paladin to take, and one the DM should have seen coming.
>>
>>47584761
>>47584724
Being evil does not always mean you hurt innocents, there are other evil actions one can take. A poison maker is evil though he himself has not harmed any innocents.

The paladin had no way of knowing what the giant had done, and had no evidence beyond him pinging. It's vigilante justice against a crime he doesn't know exists. Hell he could be killing him for a thought crime for all the paladin knew.
>>
>Playing Scion with some college friends and some randos from the college gamer's club.

>Most of the group is Greek, couple of Norse and Japanese, one guy is Hindu.

>Hindu guy is crazy edgelord veteran son of Kali.

>First session this guy uses his resources to obtain enough C-4 to blow up several city blocks.

>Guy sees some homeless dude that reminds him of his dick father or some shit, decides to kill him and stack all the C-4 on him.

>Blows up homeless guy and several blocks of Central Boston, killing scores and wounding thousands.

>After the GM inflicts wrath on him and my character threatens to kill him he decides to take a pacifist turn in the second half of the campaign.

>GM hates metagaming and forces him into a no-win scenario, he dies and his player never returns.
>>
>>47584863
>there are other evil actions one can take

And they all tend to be just as bad. You don't become Evil for no reason.

>A poison maker is evil though he himself has not harmed any innocents.

You mean has not directly harmed any innocents. If he's making poisons with the intent of them being used on humans, and doesn't really care who he's selling to, and is Evil, then yes, a Paladin should do something about him.

This is why Paladins can function as Judge/Jury/Executioner. Because if someone is Evil, then they're fucking EVIL.

This isn't like real life where there's a really big moral grey area. He doesn't know what the giant has doen, but he knows he's either done something really bad in the past and hasn't atoned for it, or hasn't had the opportunity but would gladly do any number of nasty things if they could get away with it.

You keep calling Paladins vigilantes, but that's a bit like calling cops vigilantes, or judges vigilantes.

He has literally been given powers from god, sworn oaths to an order, and dedicated his life to doing justice. If he does something that wasn't justice, then he loses his powers. This is how Paladins work.
>>
>>47584929
>You keep calling Paladins vigilantes, but that's a bit like calling cops vigilantes, or judges vigilantes.
Paladins do not simply have the authority to be judge/jury/executioner. That's why they are to respect legitimate authority. Even then the paladin has no idea what this giant's crimes are, if any. You plan on killing someone who is not hostile who you have never met and simply wants to be left alone.

I do not think it is justifiable to immediately enter combat from the paladin's side.
>>
>>47569764
so far I've had a warlock that has and obsession with masturbating, a wizard that eviscerates creatures, making bogus predictions by "reading" the entrails, a Dwarven cleric who with serious rage issues, a cannibalistic dragonborn, and a rogue who's player only says " I follow at a safe distance."
>>
>>47584976
>Paladins do not simply have the authority to be judge/jury/executioner
Only a heretic would question the paladin's godly authority, You shall be smote.
>>
>>47584976
>Paladins do not simply have the authority to be judge/jury/executioner.

But they do. They have to cooperate with the town guard and all that, but there isn't any reason why the Paladin can't work as a judge/jury/executioner.

Say the Paladin cuts a random person down in the street (ignoring the fact that the Paladin could easily subdue a low-level commoner). The Paladin claims they were Evil. He then shows of his Paladin powers, so he didn't Fall. Thus, justice. Not the most clean or knightly way to go about it, and not the most pressing use of his skills, but still justice.

The Paladin doesn't need to know what the Giant's crimes are, since they're severe enough for him to ping as Evil. If he was just some random giant in the woods who wanted to be left alone, he would be Neutral.
>>
>>47585041
Just killing evil people if they have committed no crime isn't justice, it's being a sociopath. You need proof of crime.

Giants as a species are evil, they're born evil. Similarly to goblins. (in 3.5).
>>
>>47578724

not him but you clearly play favorites
>>
>>47585116
And do you know why they're born Evil? Because they have a societal tendency to be sociopaths who harm innocents.

Remember, Paladins aren't just Lawful. They're Lawful Good. They don't only care if something is against the Law. They also care if something is Evil.
>>
File: 1334892921284453.jpg (168 KB, 425x450) Image search: [Google]
1334892921284453.jpg
168 KB, 425x450
>>47583774
I did not punish anyone. I just let it happen.

OP here and I am going add some more detail for you so we can all stop fighting about it.

>After the dragonborn was done metagaming is knowledge of the Drow stealing his gold and beating his ass guards throw him in pit with grate.

>He has been antagonized and insulting the entire party besides the Fighter/Cleric (He just ignores people) for the passed two sessions since he has joined doing autistic things.

>Druid is also getting tired of his shit IC and OOC so the Drow ask the Druid to summon some fey spider monkeys to distract the guards and drop 2 viles of dragonsfire into the pit.

>The monkeys succeed in distracting the guards long enough and the fire is set.

>Monk takes fire damage and immediately starts climbing the jagged inward slanted walls (Suprised he managed this.)

>Still taking heat damage he makes it to the grate and fails to push it over (It takes 3-4 normal men to lift)

>He makes one last push and rolls a one falling into the fire and being immolated to death.

I did not want him to die. I did not want the Drow to kill him. It is just what happened. I don't expect my campaigns to survive contact with my PCs. I don't get butt blasted when my epic narrative gets interrupted because my party would rather do other stuff.

I just like to have fun. And unfortunately the Drow and the Druids fun came at the expense of the Dragonborn. The second time was nobodies fault. The Dragonborn/Half Orc player is just dumb and walked up to an orc chieftain and got his shit pushed in when he should have waited for the party to dispatch the sentries on the cliffs. He was merely a distraction. And about 20 minutes earlier he ran into a Chimera that hit him with a breath attack for half his health. So after he took all that dmg and walked up to a very big orc and stabbed him I really did not care when he died. You do stupid things and you die. Just like in real life. Darwinian D&D.
>>
>>47585193
This why paladins suck dick.

Lawful Neutral Cleric master race reporting in.
>>
>>47585395
I'd say it's just yet another reason why 3.5 sucks. Letting Paladins detect Evil all the time and giving a really poorly thought out code just led to smite-bots being the only logical conclusion.

Better to play an edition where Evil and Good are less fundamental to the setting and so the Paladin might have to actually investigate crimes.
>>
>>47569764

>Find out that a non-hostile NPC is very powerful
>Attack NPC for a stupid contrived reason or no reason at all
>Whine when they run into trouble because the NPC is in fact quite tough.

I will never understand why players play chicken like this. I really think most of them don't think I won't kick their asses or something if they go out of their way to antagonize someone stronger than they are.
>>
File: 1457275289354.png (2 MB, 1030x1420) Image search: [Google]
1457275289354.png
2 MB, 1030x1420
>>47585447
Torag demands that I go out and maintain law and order in the land. Banishing chaos confusion and wrong doing. I need no payment. All I need is knowledge that my duty is done. I AM THE LAW!
>>
File: 1456279109108.png (265 KB, 450x375) Image search: [Google]
1456279109108.png
265 KB, 450x375
>>47585483
The Drow in my party is upset a level 17 wizard gouged him at his magic shop and hes does not know how strong he is.

Always talking about killing and robbing him. I can't wait for him to try.
>>
>>47579387
Wait, it's rogue trader and the PC's DIDN'T use their fate points to avoid death....they're fucking retarded.
>>
>>47585532

At least with some of the groups I've played, it starts when they get some inkling or another that the NPC is tougher than the run of the mill shithead.

Becaus after all, a powerful NPC only exists to be beaten by the players and show off how awesome they are, right?
>>
>>47585532
Implying I'm not going to wait until I'm stronger to gank his ass.
>>
>>47585631
He is going to fuck you up Sean.

Nigga is gonna get fireballed.
>>
>>47585650
Nah. Life, uh, finds a way.
>>
>>47585681
Stop shit posting in my thread and just fucking message me faggot.
>>
File: trash.jpg (752 KB, 2300x2300) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
752 KB, 2300x2300
ITT: shitters hating on Drow and a DM who doesn't railroad his players
>>
ITT
>Leddit tier new player hand holding and no party conflict that players resolve
>Plebs that only play default setting and assume opinions of drow
>Plebs that trust people that are half dragon over person disguised as elf in elf village

Sure is casual night in here
>>
File: IMG__201605147__082914.jpg (72 KB, 248x238) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201605147__082914.jpg
72 KB, 248x238
>>47569764
>AD&D 2e
>5 minutes into first session
>PCs dicking around in the woods. Stop for the night.
>PC on guard duty gets bored and scouts around.
>roll wandering monster...Fire Beetles.
>PC finds bug hole. Instead of investigating (or leaving it the fuck alone) climbs a tree and pisses down the hole.
>another PC wakes up, finds first PC and joins him in the tree urinating down bug hole.
>roll no. appearing....30...
>Pissed on Fire Beetles swarm out...up tree...kill both PC's (they chose to stand and fight!), then make their way to PC camp.
>no one called out a warning before dying.
>remaining 3 PC's dead....

Same group >>47571873 and >>47579419
That was the final game with those guys.
>>
>>47586026
I like the second one.
Pretty funny.
>>
>>47584924
What's the draw of the Greek gods in Scion, anyway? Every group I've played with has had something like half the party as Greek Scions, but the Dodekatheon just looks so boring, I don't know how people do it.
>>
>Playing a Drow Monk who gets along really well with the party
>New players comes in
>Creates a character that gave birth to a half-drow baby after being horribly raped
>Keeps trying to get my character to reveal what his race is, because he's constantly disguised
>They look for any reason to try and murder my guy

Why do people do these things?
>>
One of my players complained to me about why they took his alternate personality seriously.

His first three personalities which he rps all on the one character are fine but have fucking mercy if you think he's serious about the fourth one.
>>
>>47586167
Players that roleplay characters with multiple personalities are the absolute worst. I've never seen it done well, and it always slows the game down.
>>
>>47586303
I would say two is good.
More then that is retarded.
>>
>>47586303
>>47586568
This came up once before in a game I was running. Told the player to roll a hireling instead so at least we can have an interesting group dynamic instead of just talking to youself.
>>
>>47586650
I would just have a mindflayer kill one of their personalities.
>>
>>47586692
Why not all but one of his personalities?
>>
>>47586711
Just kill all of them and turn them into a spud?

Now we are cooking with gas.
>>
>>47586692
>one of their personalities IS a Mindflayer
>>
File: 1458780514507.jpg (103 KB, 540x572) Image search: [Google]
1458780514507.jpg
103 KB, 540x572
>>47586749
NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH NUCLEAR FISSION!!
>>
>>47583557
Honestly, you need to kill yourself in real life if this is your actual worldview.
>>
>>47586829
Player:"HE CANT DO THAT!!!!"
DM:"Yeah he can"
Player 2:"Lol"

The power of yes will set you free.
>>
>>47585041
>>47585193
If a Paladin detects a random person to be Evil, wouldn't it behoove him to steer the Evil person towards Good instead of just cutting him down, especially if he hasn't actually done anything yet? Redemption is always better than punishment.
>>
>>47587086
That's the cleric's job, paladins are warriors not kindly priests.
>>
File: MY GOD THE CARNAGE.jpg (11 KB, 310x163) Image search: [Google]
MY GOD THE CARNAGE.jpg
11 KB, 310x163
>>47569764
>Pathfinder
>players are displaced from time because robots called Vex
>players meet a different kind of robot that is a bro
>somehow "dragging the summoner by his throat 30ft to find the party" is bro-tier for summoner
>outright introduces himself as a bank robber whose specialty was being muscle (STR Magus)
>clearly_trustworthy.jpg
>wizard makes scrolls of shield because Vex use tech that mirrors magic missile
>bank robber robot crit-passes bluff check
>with an almighty total attempt of 7
>is halfway through casting Shield from scroll, stops and turns the scroll upside down to poorly fake not knowing magic
>wizard actually teaches him how to use scroll because he is somehow convinced bank-robber is a retard
>players follow bank-robber bro into dungeon
>wizard casts mage armor instead of shield for some reason and dies to Vex Later confirms he felt the autism about to happen
>relevant later: Wizard could speak Draconic, whose spoken form was gone for 500yrs in the timeline they were in now
>players find Vex had gone back in time to before dragons went extinct (read: killed by crazy elf bitch who sang a speedmetal variant of "Power Word Kill" to their species)
>robots used divergent timelines to raise dragons as guard dogs
>enter a gate to find Vex moving eggs through a hub of gates
>colossal red dragon fighting giant Gate Lord only 200ft away, entering just in time as the dragon melted Vex holding eggs with his flame and wrestled Gate Lord into abyss
>bank robber bro has an idea, whispering "Heist of the century!" to party
>hastily stealths and snatches an egg
>summoner's eidolon rolls a 1 on an untrained Stealth check, and gargles a crude attempt at copying the coolest guy he's ever met
>Imagine Slenderman crouching awkwardly, then jumping up to tard-scream "HEIST OF THE CENTURY!" before bolting at an egg
>Barbarian decides the cool kids are doing it so he should get some loot too
>cont
>>
>>47587327
Before anyone calls me a douche this encounter was planned around a) Wizard not being suicidal and b) him being able to speak Draconic
>Gold dragon overhears this, simultaneously there was a rebellion of dragonkind from Vex control
>Gold dragon, having never met humanoids in its life, screams "Stop, I will grant you great gifts!" in Draconic
>only Draconic-speaker a pile of ash with all his gear vaporized
>Magus prevents a party wipe by casting a scroll he stole to create a Wall of Stone to prevent use of gate
>party books it
>bickering ensues over how loot should be divided, as Rogue and Cleric appear to say they should get money for not wanting to do the risky thing
>party splits
>Gold dragon leaves cave, approaches group A which has eggs
>Barbarian lies and says "Other group has it!"
>Dragon knows he's lying but takes this as a test of his virtues
>Group B is told that they may have been fingered as egg thieves; Rogue and Cleric only here
>"What do, Rogue?"
>Rogue: "THEY SHOULD GET THEIRS"
>time_to_smite.gif
>Goldie casts geas/quest on Rogue and Cleric to warn their fellow humanoids of incoming doom via dragon-apocalypse
>Gold dragon flies to mountain and leads rebellion with the Red they saw earlier
>Players see bronze and Red take out a fucking spaceship (longer story)
>mountain erupts dragons as the Vex and their delicate divergent timelines go to shit
>players return to town and try to sell eggs and are surprised when everyone in the city is upset about the fucking dragonocalypse
>meanwhile Rogue and Cleric get into town
>both decide flashing their tiddies to draw attention then shouting into the bar about dragonocalypse is a good way to fill geas/quest quota
>they get mad at me when the high level Paladin that led the guards arrests them for raising Hell
>party calls the apocalypse they induced a great success

I just... I just don't know about my players in certain scenarios.
>>
>>47587248
Are you so narrow minded that you are solely defined by your ability to inflict violence, then? You're ignoring the fact that Paladins have class skills with such names as Lay On Hands and Mercies. They are as much protectors and nurturers of righteousness as they are warriors against darkness. Yes, redemption is difficult, and sometimes it does not always work. But if it is successful, the evildoer is gone- and in his place is a new ally.

"That's the cleric's job"? That's no excuse. Paladins aren't buck-passers.
>>
>>47587419
>what are various archetypes
>you're narrow minded for not playing the class the same way I do
There are many ways to play a paladin and righteous fury of god is by far the most prolific. Excuses me for not derailing the campaign to rehabilitate every quantifiably amoral and malicious dindu that crosses the parties path.
>>
>>47584976
Paladins don't have the authority.

They are holy warriors chosen by god. They have plenty of authority
>>
>>47587477
>Not striking a balance between both
It's true that some evildoers can be rehabilitated, but there are those that deserve being smitten without holding back. It's the paladin's duty to pass judgement on what action to take.
>>
>>47584007

>And again, randomly making someone Evil, or making them Detect as Evil, and then expecting the Paladin to just leave them alone is dumb when you could have just not made them evil.

If the paladin feels compelled to get himself killed for the sake of fulfilling some arbitrary "requirement" for his class then he honestly wasn't fit to play a Paladin in the first place.

>And yes, if a Paladin detects something as Evil, they should have good cause to either smite them or arrest them, because being Evil means you've done some serious crimes.
>arrest them

Exactly.

There are always alternatives to dealing with evil creatures aside from just smiting them. You were kind enough to cite one such alternative and there are plenty more that could've been used rather than discussing murder.

>If they weren't a danger to innocents, they wouldn't be detecting as Evil barring magical interference.

It is in fact possible for something to be evil without being an immediate threat to innocents.

I'm fairly certain that djinn and devils are considered evil yet are still perfectly willing to fulfill an altruistic goal, provided they receive something in return for their services.

Evil is not the same as being a psychopath who only wants to see the world burn, it can be used to describe a selfish dick who only wants to further their own goals at the cost of everything else.

Lex Luthor can develop death rays and donate to charities in the same week after all.

>Lastly, the giant jumping out of nowhere and beating up the squishy wizard in one hit isn't exactly a clear show of force. They could have assumed he got lucky, or that the rest of them would be able to take him down, but they didn't.

A giant pops the fuck out of nowhere, kills two members of the party, and then fucks off back into the woods, yet this somehow isn't a clear show of force?

Let me repeat, a giant uses guerrilla tactics and one shots two members of the party, yet nobody decided to retreat?
>>
>>47586829

Okay fine, any game you run, I'll roll up Pun-Pun and effortlessly murder everyone and everything in the party so that nothing can get done.

Would that still be fun?
>>
>Halfling rogue PC plays a robin hood like character
>During a plague he scopes out a house for a day to make sure it's empty
>Breaks into house later that night
>Sneaks around in house and opens a door into bedroom
>Horrible smell of dead people
>Slams the door shut
>Moves into another room and walk straight into a little girl
>Knocks her out
>Steals jewelry and all the gold coins he can find
>Leaves the knocked out girl and dead parents in the house
>Later that day he goes to an orphanage in town
>He sneaks around the back where there's a small playground
>There are about 10 children, 3 older and bigger boys are bossing the others around, obvious bullies
>He announces himself and gives a little speech about how he has come to save these kids from poverty
>Gives the bag of gold and jewelry to one of the three bullies because they tell him they will hand it over to a grownup at the orphanage
>As he walks away the bullies are laughing and talking about all the things they will do now that they can leave the orphanage and live the good life.
>"Hey! the little man told you to give it to mistress!"
>"Screw him, he gave it to us!"
>PC decides to turn around and shoot a (blind) arrow for some reason.
>Terrible roll
>The children scream and I give him 10 exp
>He doesn't check what child he murdered
>>
>>47584104
From the guard's perspective a dragon man and an evil elf had a fight. One of them died. Things could have gone worse
>>
>>47584117
Actually rape and pillage *is* a crime in wartime, it's just something that doesn't usually get mentioned until after the war (if at all), and usually is dropped. But technically, it is a crime, war does not change the law, but only alters the perceptions of the action.
>>
>>47588330

But Drow are considered high priority targets if they enter a surface town.

We're talking about a race of creatures that worship a giant spider queen, enslave non-drow races, and routinely engage in debauchery that would make even the most hardened individual recoil in disgust.

There's a reason why Drizzt was excommunicated from several surface villages before people realized that he was the one Drow who didn't want to kill/rape/enslave everybody.
>>
>>47585041
>The paladin can be judge jury and executioner
>Why?
>Because killing random people on the street is fine and just for them
You're just answering the question with a tautology. Justice means punishing those who commit crimes proportional to what they did, not killing anyone who may have (No evidence, no knowledge of the person) committed any crimes in flagrant disregard of legitimate authority, which they are sworn to respect.
>>
>>47586120
I think it's because they want intrigue for all the wrong reasons, and they can't let those things play out naturally because then it might not turn out the way they wanted it to. I have been guilty of pulling the same thing myself in the past. It's why I did it and any time I asked someone why, that or something similar is the reason.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-23+at+08.25.30).png (588 KB, 702x502) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-23+at+08.25.30).png
588 KB, 702x502
>3 man party inna dungeon
>Human monk
>Dwarf "paladin" of the god of death and decay
>Human rogue
>Rogue player does fuckall in fights, his only use is opening doors and chests
>He can't do even that right
>Runs away from fights because "I don't want to lose muh character"
>Despite the fact he's level 2
>After monk and dwarf clear out the entire floor by themselves they reach a chest on the end
>It's in a room with only 1 door, some holes in walls
>Monk notices the door only opens from outside, and will close fast if not held open
>Paladin goes inside alone to open the chest
>A couple of large rats come out
>Paladin starts smacking and monk starts throwing knives
>Quickly got rid of the rats
>All while rogue was standing and doing fuckall, and his player was actually playing WoW
>As the DM, I'm slowly getting fed up with his shit
>Paladin goes to the chest
>Takes some jewelry and gems into his satchel, then drags the chest to the monk to share the remaining loot
>Suddenly rogue player decides he wants an equal share of the loot
>Paladin player just says "you get rewarded equally to how much you did" and throws him 10 gold coins in a pouch
>As the rest of the loot is divided between monk and paladin, rogue player decides it's a good idea to attack the paladin
>Gets his shit shoved in a couple of seconds
>Just ragequits without a word
>Shrug and send a message to a guy who was supposed to join us by next session if he wants in right now
>Continue playing as if nothing happened
Where do these people even come from
>>
>>47590334
Here probably
>>
>>47590385
Doubt that, he was barelly capable of using english, so that rules out 4chan in general.
>>
>>47590334
>his player was actually playing WoW

Playing vidya in the middle of a session is beyond rude, and I'd kick anyone who did that out on the spot.
>>
>>47592087
This.

I have allowed computers in the past if we are in a new system we do not have all the splats for but I will cut the wifi if someone is playing mmo shit while we are playing.
>>
>>47592087
This fucker was getting away with playing vidya over couple of sessions, though I was suspecting he is playing shit, so we changed from Skype to Discord for voice chat, which I "suggested" just becuase Discord shows whenever people had some vidya on. I would've told him to fuck off post session, but I he did it himself. Shame the rest of the people just scattered because I'm a shit DM who cannot into storytelling, so all sessions were mindless dungeon crawls with no story, and very little RP.
Maybe I'll get back to it one day.
>>
>>47592416
>all sessions were mindless dungeon crawls with no story, and very little RP.

My sessions are kinda like that too, but to my credit I somehow managed to turn "clearing out a nest of gnolls" into a plotline involving demons attempting to invade and destroy the world, being led by a high-level Antipaladin.

I pulled most of the story completely out of my ass. I have no goddamn idea what my players are going to attempt next so I have to make it up as I go.
>>
>>47589624
>Justice means punishing those who commit crimes proportional to what they did
It doesn't
>which they are sworn to respect.
Your forgot to add "in my setting"
>>
>>47586732
All EXCEPT one
>>
>>47592696
>It doesn't
Then what does it mean? Because giving a *just* treatment to someone means the punishment must befit the crime, as is fair.
>Your forgot to add "in my setting"
I didn't need to. Topic was 3.5 (giant with class levels and paladin using detect evil), where the paladin's code is part of the ruleset. See below for what you're talking about, if you don't know it.

>A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

>Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
>>
>>47592735
>Empty vessel for a disembodied spirit to take over.

The possibilities are endless!
>>
>>47585023
Smitten, not smote. Learn2English
>>
>>47592824
>gets possessed by high level Evil spirit
>becomes next BBEG
>>
File: 1454398959229.jpg (409 KB, 876x1016) Image search: [Google]
1454398959229.jpg
409 KB, 876x1016
>>47593024
And all these people with their handholding bullshit DMing styles would deny this glorious twist of events.
>>
>>47592811
Justice means fair and reasonable treatment, a swift execution. As stated in the phb, evil implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Quite trying to force the modern idea of innocent until proven guilty into other peoples medieval fantasy campaign.
>>
>>47593052
>he thinks people enjoy his what tweest endings
>>
>>47593095
>He thinks people still like happy endings where everything is ok.
>>
>>47593069
>Justice means fair and reasonable treatment, a swift execution
That's really not how it works. Again, punishment is proportional to the crime. Killing someone for hurting someone (for example, killing someone for mugging someone) is both unfair and unreasonable, by your own words injust.

And if we're going by what the phb states about alignment, good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Or in other words, not condemning someone to the hells based merely on 'they hurt someone'. Respect for life is the big one there. A paladin doesn't kill if they can help it.
>>
>>47593137
>Playing lawful good ever.
>Not lawful neutral
>>
>>47593166
>Not playing lawful good all the time
I AM THE LAW is fun, but I'm more a Superman guy myself. Though I do have yet to play that LN warforged manhunter type I've always wanted to.
>>
>>47593111
At least they're not masturbatory excuses to show off how clever you think you are. sad endings are ok once in a while too
>>
>>47593204
>Implying masturbation.

Lol ok.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_142119.jpg (94 KB, 1626x454) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_142119.jpg
94 KB, 1626x454
>>47593137
>respect for life is a big one
>a paladin doesn't kill if they can help it
>>
>>47593271
The same entry you quote says "[a lawful good character] ...speaks out against injustice". Injustice such as one taking the law into their own hands when they have no right to do so. Yes, when Alhandra is fighting orcs, she's not going to hold back and risk her own life and the lives she protects. But if the orcs throw down their swords and surrender, she is not judge jury and executioner.
>inb4 divine right of rule
Gods aren't the law in dnd. The people who make the laws decide who is. A paladin *can* be judge, jury and executioner if designated by the local rulers, but they are not that by default, and it certainly isn't a Good thing if they are.
>>
>>47593449
no mercy
>>
>>47593449
>But if the orcs throw down their swords and surrender, she is not judge jury and executioner.

He has got a point.

Striking down and unarmed opponent is pretty shitty.

This makes lawful good character interactions with lawful evil characters so interesting. Cant just kill his ass.
>>
>>47587327

>Vex
>Gate Lord

Did your DM literally just plagarize Destiny? I'd give it a pass if it weren't for the fact that Destiny has time-traveling robots called the Vex, a unit of which is the massive Gate Lord.
>>
>>47593491
>Cant just kill his ass.
Not the anon you're responding to but it isn't necessarily always the case that a paladin must fore warn their opponent. Unless that's not what you were saying in which case I guess just ignore that.
>>
>>47593510
Or did destiny plagiarize whatever he got those names from?
>>
>>47585612
Yeah, I don't play with that group anymore...
>>
>>47583922

1. Most of those magical items turn you into a psychopath or exist for the sole purpose of making you look like one.

P
2. Protecting the weak can be interpreted as killing the big evil child-eating monster while you have the chance, before it goes to kill and eat more people. Also, Anti-Paladins are the sort of people the Paladin would be killing in order to prevent them from killing innocent people. If you detect as evil, you aren't innocent, meaning that is a completely false dichotomy.

3. So you're saying they're lucky the evil giant didn't just immediately murder them for getting near it, but that the Paladin had no reason to want to kill this dangerous creature. Also, as stated above, your hearing doesn't necessarily get better just because you're bigger.

4. Why should the party that the giant wouldn't come back to kill them later when their guard was down, or that he wouldn't lay another ambush in order to increase his chances of killing them without issue rather than risk a full-on "fair" fight he thinks he may lose? Giving him time to prepare when he is obviously willing to kill them all and is apparently good at sneak attacks in a forest he's familiar with doesn't seem like an objectively superior option to trying to chase him down while they had the chance.
>>
>>47593606
Yeah didnt mean forwarn. I meant. Oh I detect evil! But he is acting within the bounds of the law!

Fuck it! *Kills LE NPC* Goes to jail.
>>
>>47593758
>Why should the party that the giant wouldn't come back to kill them later when their guard was down, or that he wouldn't lay another ambush in order to increase his chances of killing them without issue rather than risk a full-on "fair" fight he thinks he may lose? Giving him time to prepare when he is obviously willing to kill them all and is apparently good at sneak attacks in a forest he's familiar with doesn't seem like an objectively superior option to trying to chase him down while they had the chance.
Not either of the people you're talking to, but running the fuck away from something that's already killed your caster seems the better option than pursuing it. On horseback they can outrun the thing, so there's not exactly much risk of it somehow getting ahead of them to ambush them, and they didn't know anything about ambush techniques from it anyway.

So yeah, getting away does seem like the best of a bunch of bad options. Especially considering it only attacked when they were talking about killing it, and the giant immediately fled afterwards.
>>
>>47585336
That's completely different from the druid just handing over the flasks, you mongoloid. You're either a retard who doesn't know how to include pertinent details, or a retard that is back pedaling to try and save face while failing miserably at it. Good job.

Besides, nobody was talking about your narrative, they were talking about how shitty it is for a character to be robbed, then imprisoned for retaliating, then murdered in a way he had no hope of surviving. From a player's perspective I think that's even worse than being forced to go along with a story, which, again, wasn't even what people were calling you out for.
>>
>>47579387
Seriously, this is well within the realm of what I'd order my gunners to fire upon. Not having any of that aboard my ship.

>>47583753
Pretty sure you can be casually evil. Think about it in terms of good. If it takes a shitload of murders to be evil then it must therefor take a bunch of lives saved to be good. Meaning only heroes or doctors would ever actually be good.

Since you can have good people who aren't total saints but are just generally good and helpful people you can definitely have evil people who've never murdered anyone but are generally dicks and make people's lives worse.
>>
>>47592888
>Smitten
>Smote

Both are correct, oddly.
>>
>>47593137
Cutting off a thief's hands for petty crime is considered justice in some places. It's proportional to the crime to them, apparently, so I don't see how killing an evil creature can't be considered proportional in a world where being evil indicates some seriously disturbing intent or action.
>>
>>47584007
I'm pretty sure African elephants have better hearing than those small ones on that island.
Also I disagree about the alignments, but it depends on the setting. In your setting clearly the baselin of creatures is good. In mine it's pretty evenly spread. In the Anon's who knows?

>>47584247
So the paladin goes to the VA and burns it down every other weekend, right?

>>47584929
Friendly reminder that paladins do not serve gods, clerics do. Paladins serve JUSTICE and get their powers dripfed to them from all the gods who alao like JUSTICE. Regardless of whatever else you're on about, that is a fact in 3.5 which it was established this scenario happened in.

>>47585511
You are also a cleric.

>>47586120
>BaneMask.jpeg

>>47587416
Tits were flashed, clearly it was a success.
>>
>>47593491

Said by every BBEG, ever, who dropped their sword the second they realized they might actually lose.
>>
>>47593510
I wrote the campaign on a napkin, and genuinely enjoyed the idea of Vex as BBEG material. I was doing the Vex as BBEG because I was sick of lich lords and necromancy cliches.

Told players from session 1, they still act like I didn't.
>>
>>47594300
>Friendly reminder that paladins do not serve gods, clerics do. Paladins serve JUSTICE and get their powers dripfed to them from all the gods who alao like JUSTICE. Regardless of whatever else you're on about, that is a fact in 3.5 which it was established this scenario happened in.

In 3.5 Paladins have the choice of serving a god or justice in general.
>>
>>47594165
Yeah, in some places in the modern world you get sentenced to death for being gay or worshipping the wrong god, hard to believe that it's against the law to execute someone demonstrably evil in a feudal monarchy.
>>
File: ThatAsshole.jpg (67 KB, 495x398) Image search: [Google]
ThatAsshole.jpg
67 KB, 495x398
>>47569764
>GMing Dark Heresy with two players being sniper-assassins
>Not anyone's fault; players joined up at different times, new player is completely new to roleplaying and is just picking what sounds most fun to him. Other player is more experienced and agrees to branch out his character to differentiate the two. I've known both people for several years, and trust them to do their respective roles.
>Things seem to be going well initially, until old sniper player notices that noob sniper player is better at assassin-ing than he ever was (rolled a better statline; is more creative with getting kills, etc.)
>All of a sudden, old sniper is trying to one-up new sniper at every conceivable opportunity.
>In his fit of jealousy, old sniper makes several questionable decisions, nearly gets his character killed several times.
>Well, this isn't working. Better start attention-whoring every time noob sniper does anything.
>Noob sniper starts becoming disillusioned with roleplaying, as old sniper begins interrupting him every time he tries to speak/do anything.
>Needless to say, everyone in the group is getting sick of his shit.
>I pull him aside and tell him to chill out and play his goddamn character the way he said he would.
>He appears to listen and agree.
>Next session, he continues to be a faggot as if our discussion had never happened.

Needless to say, we don't play with old sniper anymore.
>>
>>47593166
It's a requirement of palalaladingdongs in 3.5 which is the ruleset in question.

>>47593491
Come to think of it, the post did say the giant took some time to gear up, implying they were about to attack an unarmed, unarmored "enemy."

>>47593758
Problem with your second point. "child-eating monster" is more information than they had to go on. It implies you have proof the monster eats children.
>>
>>47594372
That is 5e.
3.5 they do not.
This isn't to say they cant worship a god, and the ideals of the god cant be the basis of their justice. But the powers do not come from the god.
>>
>>47594165
>>47594416
Because feudal monarchies aren't what dnd has (because they're a coherent and reasonable system, while dnd is and always has been handwaving how countries work), and more importantly the second group are a perfect example of inustice (least by our standards) and in the first, the person would be evil (stealing for oneself at someone else's expense=evil) and they specifically *weren't* sentenced to death for it.
>>
>>47594670
>let me tell you about your setting
>forcing modern standards on a medieval fantasy setting again.
Just slap a "in my world" of your statements and we could have avoided all this bullshit.
>>
>>47594754
*in front of
>>
>>47594670
Not having hands is basically a death sentence because you can't work, you can't even realistically steal. In the case of the person stealing as a last-ditch effort to survive, who will take pity on what is obviously a thief and care for them who wouldn't have pitied a poor starving person enough to do the same and prevent the crime in the first place?
>>
File: 1464720463258.jpg (50 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
1464720463258.jpg
50 KB, 676x720
>>47572546
>>
File: 1462319550162.png (33 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1462319550162.png
33 KB, 510x546
>guy brings his gf to play
>she isn't interested in the game at all
>her character gets a badge that makes her immune to lightning damage
>steal it from her
>her boyfriends character sees her badge on me
>immediately attacks me
>kills me after some good rolls
>wasn't aware that I had a magic item that makes my stuff go with me when I die
>party dwarf brings me back to life
>other guy still wants to kill me
>tell him finders keepers
>he starts attacking me
>dwarf helps out in my defence
>we kill him
>now his girlfriend wants to kill me
>kill her to
>they write up new characters
>his girlfriends character still has a grudge on mine
>attacks me first chance she gets

We stopped the campaign after that session. Damn I only wanted the badge cause DM said I could sell it for like 12,000 gp
>>
>>47594754
Except dnd isn't medieval fantasy. It's not even close. And when the rulebooks constantly assert modern standards (emphasis on justice being a good thing, anti xenophobic, using valuing modern human rights such as dignity of sentient beings as qualifier for Good etc) it's safe enough to apply them.

You can repeatedly go 'but that's just your setting!' as much as you want, but that doesn't make it true. You're welcome to alter the rules, assumptions and information given in the books as you want for your home games, but don't pretend they're the default.

Out of curiosity, which post was your first in this chain of argument?
>>47594854
True, I missed the plural of hand there. Wasn't the traditional punishment the cutting off of a single hand?
>>
>>47594886
This >>47592696
Also I find it hilarious that you think paladins being literal social justice warriors and shades of grey morality is the default in d&d.
>>
>>47594486
In the PHB it says

>A Paladin need not devote herself to a single deity - devotion to righteousness is enough.

It also says that a Paladin's power is divine. Divine power implies from the gods.

But maybe I just misunderstood the book.
>>
>>47594876
And this is why letting your players do whatever they want is stupid. I hope you can keep yourself entertained on your high horse, because you definitely won't have lasting games to do it.

>>47594886
I believe it was dependent on the value of the item, to the point where stealing an apple would get you branded and every apple after would be a finger. Stealing something expensive, like I dunno, a microwave would be a hand.
>>
>>47594886
>Wasn't the traditional punishment the cutting off of a single hand?
Depends on the location. Even losing one hand has a pretty significant risk of death due to infection though.
>>
>>47593111

Well, it's pretty shit for months and months of playing to be rendered moot by a last minute twist that comes the fuck outta nowhere.

"Oh, well you killed the BBEG, saved the kingdom, got the girl, and achieved your life long dreams, but you didn't disarm the nuke that the BBEG armed in case he ended up dying so you all end up dying anyways."
>>
>>47595090
As I said, its dripfed from the gods from a cumulative JUSTICE community fund or something. Pretty sure when I was reading through the book it said they had powers regardless of gods, but I cant get at it right now. If anything it's easier to classify them my way since it doesn't steal the cleric's thunder. You don't see two kinds of druids, do you?
>>
>>47595096
How do you steal a microwave? That's like stealing a cabinet.
>>
>>47595151
Actually, we have a homebrew class that's basically a tree-druid.

But in the book, no.
>>
>>47593758

>Why should the party that the giant wouldn't come back to kill them later when their guard was down

Because he only attacked them because they were talking about murdering him and the giant already showed enough intellect to kill the caster in the party.

Running away is a viable option when the odds are stacked against you, this isn't an MMO where you have to fight everything that engages you in order to progress with the story.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_163135.jpg (860 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_163135.jpg
860 KB, 3264x2448
>>47595090
>>47595151
Divine power can come from platonic ideas, see the part about deityless clerics.
>>47595163
Gee how could anyone steal this
>>
>>47595223
I'm used to ones that are built into the wall
>>
>>47585336

>I did not want him to die. I did not want the Drow to kill him. It is just what happened.

What sort of limp-wristed, passive aggressive faggotry is this?

You're the GM, if you're not calling the shots then who is?
>>
File: 12133489258.png (259 KB, 524x478) Image search: [Google]
12133489258.png
259 KB, 524x478
>everybody is handing their character sheets to the DM
>that guy in our party is playing a bard
>party is at an inn
>DM asks if bard wants to perform so the party could get free lodging, also mentions there are female patrons eyeing him
>that guy says okay
>inn starts clapping, expecting to be seronated with a nice melody
>bard pulls out his own custom made electric Yarting
>''This song is called Demon spit''
>plays this for reference
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w
>entire inn clears out as soon as he starts playing
>his face when
>>
>>47595090

Divine power comes from faith, which can be in just about any concept and not tied to a specific diety so long as the person truly believes in it.
>>
>>47595103
>>47594886
Looks like in modern day Saudi Arabia, stealing leads to the loss of your dominant hand, while Banditry (theft) leads to the loss of your dominant hand and your opposite foot. Banditry (murder and theft) is execution-worthy, although I'm not sure what the exact distinction is between stealing and Banditry (theft) as they would interpret it, but I'm assuming the latter involves confrontation.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.