[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1260172762038.jpg (494 KB, 980x572) Image search: [Google]
1260172762038.jpg
494 KB, 980x572
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

What were the coolest manses and cities you had in your games?

And remember Morke and Holden are Liars.
>>
>>43700783
I've seen enough of it to know that there's a good reason the stereotype exists, but also enough to tell the difference between somebody who's just looking for a bit more representation or some other perfectly fair objection and some sociopath screaming death threats at expecting mothers for wondering what gender their unborn child will be.

>>43701438
>What were the coolest manses and cities you had in your games?

Once had a manse that was several miles underground and literally hewn into the rock rather than being a discrete building.
>>
File: 1446386228115.png (473 KB, 393x514) Image search: [Google]
1446386228115.png
473 KB, 393x514
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/767522-artifact-rating-recommendations

>Storing a limited amount of items in a book is Artifact 4

Haha what?
>>
>>43701556
I've seen enough mouthshit from the people preaching the stereotype to know it isn't based on anything they've seen. They like to call people subhuman over pretty much anything, from having the wrong opinion about a single issue to using the wrong punctuation on a sentence to being angry that they call people subhuman.
>>
>>43701723
4chan isn't the best place to get a good sample for *any* particular opinion bloc.
>>
>>43701802
In some cases that's true, but the people who want to scream the social justice witches out of existence are pretty much like that no matter where they are. Even the ones who talk about hating "extremists" (which, like most of their morals, is never used to guide their own actions) or only hating "the bad ones" (a category which tends to be much, much broader than the vividness of their insults implies).
>>
>>43701845
Thing is, you can say the same thing about the worst of the Tumblrism. Extreme viewpoints beget opposing extreme viewpoints, and what you end up with is idiots on both sides screaming idiotically at one another. Getting drawn up into it is a mistake no matter where your personal beliefs lie.

So, how about that Exalted?
>>
Planning on a thiefy Night Caste. Do I make the typical choice and go Supernal Stealth, or do I go maximum fluffy and take Supernal Larceny?
>>
>>43701922
Well, Larceny does have a respectable amount of stuff at E3+, including a charm that lets you retroactively stymie an investigation of your exploits. Stealth is unquestionably more useful in combat, but you should be able to survive combats without a supernal combat skill anyway.
>>
>>43701978
That's what I'm hoping, but I'm not entirely sure what the full composition of the Circle I'll end up being in will be yet so depending on how things go I might have to shoulder more or less of the combat burden.
>>
>>43701876
>or only hating "the bad ones" (a category which tends to be much, much broader than the vividness of their insults implies).
"Extreme" is a very relative, and very exploitable, term. It's easy to be branded with it for saying something that is perfectly reasonable on its own merits but outside the WoJ's comfort zone, whether you actually said them or not. Plenty of people fancy themselves a "reasonable middle ground" while routinely making passionate hate speeches against one side and paying some token lip service to the idea of opposing the other but never actually doing so. And these people frequently say that there's "truth" in their own hate-filled bigotry, as if that were some sort of meaningful statement that somehow justified it.
>>
>>43702013
...Plus it does seem like there are a few combat options in Larceny too, but they're not as juicy as the Stealth ones. Hrm.
>>
>>43701922
Go Awareness. Buy the Keen [Sense] Techniques, steal random items, wax poetic about their texture and scent. Steal artwork, discuss the freshness of the eggs used in the tempura paint. Savagely critique your opponents' fashion and hygiene while pummeling them.

(also win Join Battle erry'time)
>>
Is there any way one can avoid disarm actions when using an MA dependent on weapon, such as Shining Point?
>>
Hey guys.

I'm starting to get into Exalted, started by the third edition. Do you guys have any tips (optimization wise or whatever) for a beginner to don't screw up everything?

I've been toying with character concepts just to get a grasp of the system, been thinking about doing a lancer type character. Really fast, kinda stealthy, pretty good with his spear and good at throwing it too. Any recommendations?

Also, how does one go about creating an artifact? Is it completely homebrewed or does it have any sort of mechanical guidelines?

And lastly, how does 3E compare to 2.5? I know people are saying it sucks, I just wanna know what changed from one edition to the other and how does both compare.

Thanks.
>>
>>43702516
Don't let your opponent build up enough initiative to throw the Gambit out.

>>43702480
Heh, an amusing thought, but I'm not quiiiite sure it's the style of the character I have in mind.
>>
>>43702516
Offhand, clash attacks.

Pick up an Evocation/Charm that lets you recall your weapon to your hand reflexively.

Carry lots of mortal-level back-up weapons.
>>
>>43702573
>Carry lots of mortal-level back-up weapons.

This is a good idea in general, especially now that you can generally have, for example, a mundane sword for free if it fits the concept. Keep your daiklave Elsewhere for when you really need it and just wield an ordinary weapon most of the time.
>>
>>43702555
>Do you guys have any tips... for a beginner to don't screw up everything?

3e is pretty beginner-friendly; the basic combat rules keep you from killing yourself. You should consider starting with 5s in Dexterity/Wits/Awareness, since those are respectively the strongest physical/social/mental stats and Attributes take a long time to raise in-game.

>Any recommendations?
Assuming you've already read the setting chapter and your ST has given some idea of the campaign (like place and topic), start with Chapter 4, p. 148. Read Attributes, then Abilities. Make a list of the Abilities you want for your character, then try to find the one that best represents your character's first reaction to a problem - does he hit it using Melee? Hide and study it using Stealth? Outwit it with Socialize? Etc.

Flip back to p. 138, read up the five Castes, decide which one sounds most like your character. Check out p. 177-178 for the Role bonuses if you're having difficulty deciding.

Hopefully your chosen Ability (the best one that fits your character) is also a Caste Ability for the Caste you want. If so, great! You can take it as a Supernal. If it isn't, you can still be inhumanly fantastic at it, but you'll need to choose another Ability to be your Supernal. Ask your ST for suggestions/advice if you're not sure.

Now you've got a sort of skeleton of a character with Caste and at least one Ability. Fill in Attribute and Ability dots until you run out, then brainstorm the character's background. If you've got writer's block, check out the Merits chapter and spend your starting 10 Merit dots; if you decide to take a hundred trained assassins as your followers, that has some interesting implications for the type of person your character is, so it can help unjam the inspiration.

The Charm chapter is huge, so don't try wading through all of it at once - read up on your Supernal and choose maybe 5-7 Charms there, then 1-3 from other Abilities you have lots of dots in.
>>
>>43701438
Getting up early wins once again.
>>
>>43702676
>continued

If it's your first game, your ST shouldn't be expecting you to have a complete sheet all on your own; it's fine to have a rough idea and then fill in the last bits at the table while talking with everyone else.
>>
>>43702700
That looks deeply uncomfortable to wear
>>
>>43702700

Any suggestions or recommendations on good/great/must-have charms?
>>
>>43702732

Regardless of your exalt, an Ox Body Technique charm is great to have as padding.
>>
>>43702735
It's worth noting this is actual good advice this time, whereas 2/2.5 it was utter dogshit.
>>
>>43702741
It's still generally better for non-hypertank combat characters to have your active defenses shored up before devoting charm slots to Ox-Body, but if you're not a primary combatant an Ox-Body can still keep you not dead long enough for your allies to save your bacon.
>>
>>43702732
Depends on your character concept. You probably want at least 2-3 Charms in Melee, Dodge, or Resistance for defense (Resistance is not usually great by itself unless you invest heavily in it, but goes great with one of the other two). One or two Ox-Body Techniques will save your bacon in a pinch, but you will probably want at least one of Bulwark Stance (Melee), Shadow over Water (Dodge) or Durability of Oak Meditation (Resistance) to go with them. If your primary schtick is combat, you're going to want a lot more.

If you're going to be fighting with a lance, you want Melee, but you could also ask your ST if s/he'd let you use White Reaper Style with a lance, since it uses staffs and scythes.
>>
>>43702760
I'm sorry for the confusion. When I said lancer I meant it like "spear user".

I'll probably use a medium sized spear, for throw reasons. On that note, any good throw charms I should look out for?

Also I should check out White Reaper Style then?
>>
>>43702817
Not the person you were replying to but if you can stomach the investment in the Martial Arts merit and the wasted dot of brawl White Reaper is an interesting take on a 'Soldier' Martial Arts style.

It's designed to take on Battle Groups, and works with Spears, Staves, Scythes and Unarmed. Unless you are playing a Dawn with Supernal Martial Arts though you will be limited to the first two charms and the form charm. It also boasts comparability with all armors. The first two charms are a duel tagged damage adder and a Onslaught penalty negate/parry booster, so I suggest Resistance as your secondary defense tree.
>>
>>43701556
>Once had a manse that was several miles underground and literally hewn into the rock rather than being a discrete building.
I basically had the opposite in a few games. (I tend to run different games on the same timeline). It was a hollowed out volcano, and the caldera had been impregnated with a sizable deposit of Adamant that ran in veins through the interior of the structure, providing light for the entire facility during the day by diffusing the sunlight that touched the caldera, and still maintaining a slightly phosphorescent glow of stored sunlight through the evening, though slightly dim. The manse itself was originally a 5 point value, but was dumbed down to 4 due to being in a state of disrepair. No players ever got it fully operational.

>>43701922
>Planning on a thiefy Night Caste.
Sounds like the character is known for Larceny. There's your answer.
>>
>>43702760
Why are people split on ox-body this edition? Last one, everyone agree it was terrible, this one I hear people recommend sometimes and other times they say it's shit.
>>
File: AmeliaHuge.png (245 KB, 601x1101) Image search: [Google]
AmeliaHuge.png
245 KB, 601x1101
How well would someone like a Fire Emblem General work out?

Dawn with Supernal Resistance and a suit of superheavy artifact plate.
>>
>>43703139
>Sounds like the character is known for Larceny. There's your answer.

It's probably the direction I'll end up going, but I could still see Stealth as a logical path, hence my wondering.

>>43703140
Ox-Body in 3e is kind of dependent on what sort of character you're running. It's never the utter shit choice it was in 2e, but for some sorts of characters there's things you should really buy before you take Ox-Body. For others, it's something you want to grab first.
>>
>>43703145
Built correctly, Supernal Resistance is terrifying, but you have to invest VERY heavily into it.
>>
>>43703160

Oh? How heavily are you talking/how terrifying?

I don't know much about the System right now but I've always liked my paladins clanky.

I was looking into grabbing a chunk of Presence for non-combat stuff. Not subtle but heroic and charming.
>>
>>43703168
You can be pretty much unkillable so long as you have Essence, from what I remember of the threads discussing it.
>>
So is a resistance based defense worth it if you arent going to bother with heavy armor or is it sort of required? Or would simply focusing on parrying/dodging be better?
>>
Supernal resistance to get the charm that gives you 20 hardness. Thats like what 8 charms? Sad thing is that as far as i remeber it is not compatible with armor... so it will need a costum evocation if you want to use that charm with any armor
>>
>>43703280
Resistance is great if it is you Supernal, or if you only take Ox-Bodies.
Otherwise, Melee, Dodge, and Stealth are better purely defensively.
>>43702817
You can't throw Medium spears.
>>
>>43702676
>3e is pretty beginner-friendly
No it isn't. Compared to other editions of Exalted, yes, but compared to all other RPGs no.
>>
>>43703429
>can't'
>in an Exalted Game
your fo serious?
>>
so I've got a Breeding 5 Fire Aspect Dragon Blooded and I'm wondering how extreme his fire traits will get. So far I'm thinking breathing smoke on a regular basis, almost painfully hot red skin, literally spitting fire and embers when angry and glowing orange eyes.

his background is that he comes from a small waning branch of a larger dynasty and is famous throughout it for being an unusually strong blooded exalt from an otherwise weak unimportant family. He got sick of the various breeding contracts and left to be a warrior, his family is chasing him so they can put him back to doing what's best for the family: making babies.
>>
>>43703429
Erm... 3e Short Spears are Medium Weapons. They have the thrown tag. So yeah you can.
>>
>>43703472
Ooops, my bad, apparently both short spears and regular ones are Medium. Go figure.
>>
>>43703468
Remember, both Breeding and Essence contribute to the aspect traits, so he'd start out noticeable, but not overwhelmingly so.
>>
Is there a way to like.... craft magic?
Like I want to play a character who is more science than your standard wizard; mixing up potions and creating weird temporary effects.
>>
>>43703483
It's cool. Makes no sense to me either.

Btw, the game doesn't really specifies but can you actually craft weapons with new tags? Or can Artifacts have tags that are not present in the "original" weapon type?
>>
>>43703499

Ask the GM.

There isn't really a way to do that.

Though I've also see Rage run the numbers on a weapon with literally every Tag and it was 'Eh, it's not bad but not hugely better than other weapons' so 'Do whatever you want' isn't going to break a game.
>>
>>43703495
>>43703499
boils down to your GM, one common Craft Homerule is to ignore the elemental aspects completely save for specialties.

>>43703487
neat, noted for future reference.
>>
>>43703495
Craft (Alchemy) for the first, temporary effects are hard, but you could theoretically invent new spells after decades of research. Permanent weird effects are Sorcerous Workings, magic items are Craft (Artifact) and Craft (First Age artifice).
>>43703499
Artifacts, sure, like a moonsilver sword that extends to give you reach. I'm sure you can come up with plenty of similar artifacts.
>>
>>43703539
Does an artifact need to be a permanent thing? Or could I craft something small that has a one time only use?
>>
>>43703742
Permanent, but activated abilities can be 1/time interval or recharge based. Use alchemy and thaumathurgy for lesser effects.
>>
Stat us /exg/.

Any edition, please specify which.

One must be the other's platonic consort.
>>
>>43703758
how useful is thaumathurgy?
>>
>>43703933

Jean is sorta hard to do in any Phoenix form. As 'Most powerful thing about' and 'Fire themed' don't line up in Exalted.

The best guesstimate I have is an Infernal but that's not really going to be the right sorta fire.
>>
Hey, /exg/, if a character is native to the Realm, do they get both High Realm and Low Realm, or just one of them as their native language?
>>
>>43703970
Were they a Realm peasant?
>>
>>43703955
They are neat and situational. Don't forget to homebrew new rituals.
>>43703970
Just one, if they are Dynasts or patricians, they get High Realm, otherwise Low.
>>
>>43703978
A Cynis bred courtesan, specifically trained as a consort for a dynast.
>>
>>43703989
Somebody in the Realm has to have both. What's the Realm equivalent of middle-management?
>>
>>43703998
>specifically trained as a consort for a dynast.
High, then.
>>
>>43703999
Not as native. You learn the other one, it's not that hard.
>>
>>43704007
That's what I was leaning towards, with strong encouragement to also pick up Low Realm.
>>
>>43703989
Thanks for the advice; I've been thinking about making a character from Whitewall and as I understand it thaumathurgy and crafting is pretty common there. Like they don't have a lot of sorcerers so they can't spell something away but they'll craft something that can.
>>
>>43703179
The charms you'll need to be a Supernal Resistance Soakmonster are;

Durability of Oak Meditation (lower raw damage of attacks)
Spirit Strengthens the Skin (add soak or cancel rolled damage)
Iron Skin Concentration (create extra -0 health levels to take damage with)
Diamond-Body Prana (Good soak, only usable without armor)
Iron Kettle Body (Halve post-soak damage, steal initiative for 1s rolled)
Adamant Skin Technique (Apply your soak to decisive damage)
Aegis of Invincible Might (Buff Hardness to 20, buff soak by a lot, have to spend 8m a turn or launch a decisive every turn to maintain)

That's the basic charm-train to being an invincible bastard, but to maintain it, you also need

Essence Gathering Temper (Regenerate motes equal to half the raw damage, limited to stamina or stamina*2 at essence 3/Supernal, reset by soaking 10+ damage in one attack without taking any initiative loss)

EGT lets you throw that 8m a turn on Adamant while still maintaining a positive mote regeneration turn to turn. It makes throwing withering attacks at you a very unfun proposition.

Charms that aren't required but are nice to have are

Ruin-Abasing Shrug (Force an attacker to reroll all his initial successes on a decisive; new successes cannot exceed his original roll)
Tiger Warriors Endurance (Heal 2 health levels of -2 or higher when you recover from an init crash, reset by gaining 20 initiative)
Wound-Knitting Exercise (Heal a -0 HL every 7-Stamina turns for 1m)

Tiger Warriors shouldn't be coming up very often for you at all if you've got the suite of soakmonster charms including Aegis running and working, but it's still a prerequisite for Wound-Knitting Exercise, which is much more useful for someone who's immensely hard to hurt. Any Ox-Bodies purchased with this suite active make you exponentially more annoying to kill; doing any damage to you is hard enough already. It's going to be almost impossible if you have 22 HL, 7 of them being -0s he heals nigh constantly
>>
>>43703963
Greater Elemental Dragon?
>>
>>43704039
That's not how it works. Mortal thaumathurges are super rare and usually only know one ritual if they don't find a mentor.
However, all sorcerers automatically become thaumathurges.
>>
>>43704040

Thanks.

That's...damn. That's a hell of an investment.

Still it sounds like it's nigh-unkillable, which IS what I was going for.
>>
>>43704040
(Cont)

You're afraid of grapplers, alpha-strikers, and characters with mobility. Aegis can only be activated when someone launches a decisive attack, meaning that if someone is nasty enough to bring you to an actual wound penalty with the opening blow, especially an ambush attack (as thrown/stealth users love to do) which Adamant Skin Technique does not apply, you're not going to be able to deal with it with how limited Solar Healing is. And since Aegis is activated by using Adamant Skin Technique, ambush attacks don't let you activate it.

You hate grapplers because they can grab you and spend turns of control on a restrain, preventing you from taking any action; this immediately ends Aegis, as you have to launch a decisive or spend 8m offensively EVERY turn.

You hate people with mobility, because if you're a melee character (and let's be real; who the fuck is doing this and not using melee or brawl), it's very easy to just disengage from you, dance outside your combat range, and re-engage once Aegis is offline.

The solutions to the first and last are simple; invest heavily in awareness and athletics. An attack isn't an ambush if you see it coming, and it's very hard to just disengage from the fastest man in the world.

The solution to the grappling is harder; the contested roll to see how long the grappler gets to ruin you is a Brawl+Strength roll on both ends. So, invest in Brawl to get good on the roll? Well, for one, that's not going to work too hot since as a Resistance Monster, you have way, way fewer charms to invest in your offensive ability. Any brawl-using grappler who's fighting you is going to be someone who's invested enough in it that he's going to win the control roll every time. Increasing Strength Exercise from Athletics can help, but not by much; it only grants bonus dots of strength equal to your essence. Against grapplers, your strategy goes from tanking every blow to desperately trying to not get hit at all in the first place.
>>
>>43704103
With Aegis running with Artifact Heavy armor on along with 5 Stamina, you have

5 Natural Soak from Stamina
11 Soak from Armor
5 extra soak from Stamina (Aegis)
5 extra soak from Resistance (Aegis)

5 post-soak damage is cancelled (Aegis)

Hardness raised to 20 (Aegis)

26 Soak and 20 Hardness. Meaning someone has to have 20 initiative to even think about swinging a decisive attack at you, and someone has to penetrate an absurd amount of soak just to be cancelled by the post-soak negator.

Aegis raises your defense by so much that you can often spend every mote you regen from natural round to round 5m and EGT up to 10 extra on offense and still not be injured at all. This changes combat very quickly; EGT makes people not want to swing a single withering attack at you, in favor of farming initiative off of squishier targets to use to punch through your hardness. This is fine. This is very fine. It just means that to hurt you, you have to have backup to try and farm off of. If you're going Melee, you have charms to force them to attack you instead of your allies instead. At the end of the day, you're still laughing.
>>
>>43704141
>If you're going Melee, you have charms to force them to attack you instead of your allies instead.

I was thinking of going melee, yeah. Big two handed sword or sword/board.

When I'm this big and scary it seems silly to go small weapon, after all.
>>
>>43704073
Wait really?
I guess then that I'm reading the information wrong. Sorry I made a mistake, glad I got caught on it though. But it does seem like they put a lot into developing thaumathurgy.
They've got a building dedicated to the practice.

Maybe I'll scrap my character and redesign them then...
>>
>>43704158
As a rule, Solars are exceptional people, so it wouldn't too out of place if you made a thaumathurge with lots of rituals, or a sorcerer that focused on thaumathurgy.
>>
>>43704156
Go with a Medium Weapon, especially if you're using Melee. That +1 defense bonus is just too good; it's already frustrating trying to injure you, but if you're sitting pretty on 6 Parry/7 with an appropriate specialty, on top of Fivefold Bulwark Defense (Absolutely a Melee Users favorite charm; unfortunately you have to wait till E2 to use it with Supernal Resistance) making it so that it's impossible to penalize your defense+cheaper to use Dipping Swallow to boost it...

This is the actual problem with Resistance, though. The full suite? Amazing. Powerful. Overpowered beyond belief, if anything. It shifts the battlefield so radically and forces your opponent into such a narrow field of options that it's obscene. But without the full investiture, the charm costs for individual charms becomes obscene for how much usage they're actually giving, especially since resistance charms have to be declared before you even see if the guy hits you; it's very easy to waste resistance charms, and since they're lowering damage instead of dodge-charms negating damage entirely, for most people, resistance is a very lame-duck tree. Too much of the power is tied up with Aegis+Essence Gathering Temper. An entire ability flips from mediocre to godlike with just ONE charm. Unfortunately, Aegis is an Essence FIVE charm.
>>
>>43704193

I see. So Resistance is very much All or Nothing?

That's a bit disappointing from a game design perspective. I tend to feel like everything should be valuable as a dip OR a focus.
>>
>>43704210
Ox-bodies are a decent dip in Resistance, as is the anti-poison charm if you encounter poison sometimes. It's mostly the soak/hardness tree that nedds heavy investment.
>>
>>43703963
>fledgling cosmic entity
>powerful ill-understood urges
>detached from mortal life
I'll go with Infernal
>>
>>43704176
Well the thing that really had me interested in Whitewall was the fact that I didn't think there were that many sorcerers there; I was interested in seeing how their sciency stuff worked and to really put that emphasis on my character.

Now I know that isn't the case.
>>
>>43704210
Pretty much. Until you get Aegis, Resistance has to be a secondary defense. If you're Melee, it's fine to have Resistance as your only defense because Melee has good tools to raise its parry defense and keep it up there with minimal mote investment, leaving it free to dump motes into soaking anything that makes it through. But for a Brawl user? A Thrown or Archery user? Resistance can only be taken if you've already invested in Dodge. What really hurts Resistance more than any actual charm cost is the activation times. Back in 2E, most resistance charms could be activated and spent after the attack had been rolled, or after damage had been rolled, etc etc. Now, unless stated otherwise, ALL charms have to be declared before a single attack has been rolled. And I think it's safe to say that of Dodge and Resistance, Dodge should be the only one that's an actual gamble.
>>
How does White Reaper Style fare in a Melee + Resistance "build" ?
>>
>>43704340
It's ok, since White reaper can be used in armor. Just remember that you can't boost an attack with both White Reaper and Melee at the same time.
>>
>>43702555
Trips compel me to tell you to find something you like in the vague concept of the game and use another system
>>
>>43702732
>>43702573
>>43702676

Ah, my daily dose of cheesecake. Thanks, Exalted thread.
>>
File: dailydose.jpg (8 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
dailydose.jpg
8 KB, 213x237
>>43704742
Don't forget about your real daily dose
>>
>>43704141
So heres a question, if I want to invest primarilly into non-combat stuff whats a good approach to not simply be stomped on in a fight?

Im largely going into linguistics, lore and occult at the moment with a few points for misc skills that im willing to shuffle to fit a sensible investment into charms and abilities.
>>
>>43704971
Pick one of:
>Melee
>Dodge
>Stealth
>Crane Style
and get a few defensive charms. Ox-body also helps.
>>
>>43701922
Larceny gets you access to Fate-Shifting Solar Arrete, which is apparently crazy-fucking broken because you can use it for literally any roll.
>>
>>43703145
Goddamn Generals were some of my favorite classes.

>Those fucking chain weapons

Fuck now I have to play FE again.
>>
>>43705031
cheers, ill do with dodge i think
>>
File: 1445800063722.gif (601 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1445800063722.gif
601 KB, 300x170
>>43705100
Dodge is good because it lets you disengage. I still encourage taking at least 1 Ox-Body for area attacks and environmental dangers.
>>
How many motes should spirits in general have in e3? I assume it's a function of their Essence rating but I couldn't find a table in the core.

And related, how many motes would you give a behemoth?
>>
>>43705267
50+(10 per Permanent Essence), from the looks of the statblocks. I'd probably factor in Cult though, either just by bloating their pool further (50+10*(Cult+Essence) for example), or having Cult influence their mote regen in combat.
>>
>>43705267
>How many motes should spirits in general have in e3? I assume it's a function of their Essence rating but I couldn't find a table in the core.
Every single spirit in core fits the formula of 50 + 10xEssence, so I'd go with that.

>And related, how many motes would you give a behemoth?
As many as it needs relative to its essence-fueled powers and how often I want it to use them and etc etc. Behemoths are literally all unique, dude, it's like asking how many motes "an Exigent" should have.
>>
>>43705267
From the book
>Gods possess 50 + (Essence x 10) motes.

However, I'd just make it "Enough", "Low enough to be conservative" or "Empty".
>>
>>43705330
>Every single spirit in core fits the formula of 50 + 10xEssence, so I'd go with that.
wrong, Raksha and various other wyld beings have Essencex10
>>
>>43705363

Raksha and Wyld-things are not spirits.
>>
>>43705369
Really? So occult charms that target spirits don't work on them? Interesting.
>>
>>43705375
They don't need to, as Wyld things are material.
>>
File: 1369777316735.jpg (109 KB, 600x1090) Image search: [Google]
1369777316735.jpg
109 KB, 600x1090
What do you think of perroneles?
>>
>>43705396
It means things like ghost-eating technique don't drain motes and don't even guarantee the raksha is perma-killed (assuming they have some way of reviving, of course). And there's a few occult charms that give nice boni to fighting spirits.
>>
Do you guys think a Loli/Shota Zenith or Eclipse could be an interesting character concept?

I feel like it would be more interesting than the played-out "child genius Twilight" trope that inevitably falls into Magical Realm shit.
>>
>>43705417
Neat. My fetish.
>>
>>43705479
Nights are also a good caste for such.

Could it be good? Yes.
Will it? No. You need to be a very good roleplayer to make it work, and your entire group must be able to avoid the inherent magical realm.
Don't do it.
>>
>>43705417
I think they're mechanically useful and also lewd, which makes them extremely good overall.
>>
>>43705479
I mean, we had a young girl Zenith caste in my game who ended up being the best person in the group because she combined child-like naivete with god-like power to basically make the world a better place.
>>
>>43705513
>and your entire group must be able to avoid the inherent magical realm.

/tg/ acts like this is literally the most difficult thing ever.

Just play a cute kid and don't do anything sexual. Be the cute-but-zealoud child priest raving about the glories of the Unconquered Sun or the child diplomat who combines incredible social skills with childish charm.

Though, for some reason, I feel like a shota player is much less likely to go Magical Realm than a loli player. Maybe because shotas are not common at all.
>>
*sigh* Notanautomaton was banned from rpg.net, which is a shame because even if he was terrible, his thread was at least shitty in a schaudenfreude way.
>>
So would a Shingami of Raksha...wouldn't be a Raksha, right?
>>
A question for you /exg/: when statting up characters from outside sources like KLK, do you prefer I stick to normal chargen rules or should I try to better emulate the character?
>>
>>43705620
MY GRAMMAR! IT'S TERRIBLE!
>>
>>43705442
Pretty sure getting killed in Creation by a native is always lethal for wyld shit. Not fucking likely unless Essence-wielders or cold iron is involved, but permanent if it does happen.
>>
>>43705648
a better question: Why would you even do that?

>>43705678
I'd say it's the default, but I could see some special Raksha/Wyld-thing that survives death under certain conditions.
I mean, we already have an example of one in Mist, the Eternal Revolutionary, who can cheat death.
>>
>>43705648
Depends. Are you statting them as players or antagonists?
>>
>>43705701
>Why would you even do that?
For kicks, and so that when people inevitably ask for that, we can just point to the homebrew folder (probably a character subfolder).
>>43705705
Since we only have rules for Solars and heroic mortals, I'll be using that. How people use them is their own prerogative.
>>
For a Crane style user should I dip into dodge (don't want melee at all) and if so what charms should I grab?
>>
>>43705741

Ox Body Technique
>>
>http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/
is nice, but the derived stats don't calculate correctly.
>>
>>43705775
It's also clunky and loads slowly. I'm still waiting on Anathema.
>>
>>43705767

Why? Just to handle the decisives? You are still rolling your new penalized stats for the counterattack if you take damage though right? Also I am low stamina.
>>
>>43705833
If you have low stamina, resistance is of questionable value. Dodge or die, fucker.
>>
>>43705933

Which goes back to >>43705741
>>
>>43705815
Probably won't release until a couple weeks after the official release of the book. AKA some time in 2016, maybe early 2017, if we're being optimistic.

>Inb4 laughing kelso guy
>>
File: Exalted 3e personified.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Exalted 3e personified.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>43705945

>sometime before 2020
>>
>>43705962
Go fuck a cactus, Kelso.
>>
>>43705989
you know what, maybe I will.
>>
>>43705741
The (Reed in the Wind -> Reflex Sidestep -> Leaping Dodge) line is handy for closing with ranged assholes, and it's all E1

Shadow Over Water is pretty important if Evasion is your primary defense.

Other than that, vov.
>>
Daily reminder that Morke and Holden do it for Hot Pockets
>>
>>43703955
Very little compared to sorcery.

For 'minor magic everywhere' you might want to be a sorcerer and see if your GM will let you do mini-sorcerous workings that only take a few hours to complete but have consumable effects.

You have to pay XP for each sorcerous working, but you get it refunded if the working is destroyed/used up/whatever, which would let you reuse a small pool of XP for temporary magic over and over.
>>
>>43705326
>>43705330
>>43705336
Anyone statted up Volcano Gods yet?
>>
>>43706194

no they do it with caviar and other fine and extremely fancy foods that they blew the KS money on

remember, holden and morke are lairs
>>
>>43706461
nope, but I'm sure they'd look awesome.
>>
>>43706560
>lairs
so you are saying they contain treasure?
>>
>>43705326
That's a very good houserule, actually. Cult is kind of lackluster in 3E. It only affects wps, which is good because wps are difficult to come by and precious, but having 20 millions people offering daily sacrifice in your name should have a stronger effect that being able to cast your most powerful magic one or two more times before being spent.
>>
>>43706560
So premium hot pockets, soda, and candy then
>>
>>43706641
I'd house rule it to 2x Cult rating, not 1x.
>>
>>43706641
What about being able to add (Cult) dice to actions befitting a spirit's domain? Maybe with an expenditure of WP so you can't spam it over and over again.
>>
So what did Holden do that pissed everyone off now?
>>
>>43706700
They exist
>>
File: 9de.jpg (11 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
9de.jpg
11 KB, 200x201
>>43706644
>>43706677
>>43706700
>>
>>43706657
Too much. It will bloat motes out of proportion. Cult * 1 means that, mote-wise, you can challenge a god one permanent Essence higher than you if you have a cult rating of 1 point higher than him. This seems finely tuned and balanced.

>>43706677
Maybe. I'm not a fan of automatic dice-adders for gods in 3E. Maybe with a specific spirit charm that is difficult to learn?

This is purely a matter of personal preference though. Certainly I can see the reasoning behind giving automatically this dice adder to all spirits.
>>
>>43706677
>>43706657
>>43706641
We still don't know what Ambrosia does in 3e. It's a direct product of prayers, so big Cults may have further uses for spirits.
>>
>>43706677
I dunno, no correlation between a god's popularity and competence is kinda a thing in Exalted.
>>
>>43706748
No, I mean Cult that gives no motes but 2x rating in WP for everyone, not just gods.
>>
>>43706700
Nothing really.
>>
File: 1438921309878.gif (2 MB, 334x235) Image search: [Google]
1438921309878.gif
2 MB, 334x235
What are some fun combat builds that people have come up with?
>>
>>43706700
Hahahaha like autists need a reason
>>
>>43706164

Hmmm. I am actually thinking of dropping dodge and working on evocations for my artifact weapons to supplement my defense. Splitting my defense between parry and dodge is silly and I am thinking of doing things like wind walls and wind pusback attacks with the war fans. And then a couple evocations on my silken armor. Maybe something reverse Brilliant Sentinel like. Where they just don't want to attack me or suffer penalties when they do. This may take a while to pan out.
>>
So if you wanted to make a functional craft character how would you do it?
>>
>>43707537

Rework Craft with your storyteller from the ground up.
>>
>>43707537
???
Get Craft (blacksmithing) 5, Craft (Artifacts) 5, Supernal Craft, get craft charms.

The system is functional, but just has lots of beancounting.
>>
>>43707585

>The system is functional

The same way a blind person is functional. Sure that person can do things. But its difficult and you are missing out so much in life. If you ask me whether I would want to be blind or dead I would pick dead. Much like how I would rather not play Exalted then play a Crafting character with the current system. And I love Crafting.
>>
File: 1446427342004.jpg (50 KB, 658x930) Image search: [Google]
1446427342004.jpg
50 KB, 658x930
>>43702676
>3e is pretty beginner-friendly
You, and others, forget that without the reference to 1e and 2e and the common sense rules thereof, problematic as they were, you're going to have trouble figuring out exactly how 3e is supposed to work because nothing is fully explained, assuming prior knowledge from players.

There are still trap choices, still the whole BP/XP debacle even if it is mitigated to "only" be "less than 10 Charms difference" in this edition, it's still a clear and present danger to those lacking system mastery.

But your recommendations are pretty good. So ignore his platitudes and follow his advice, anon who asked.
>>
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/767343-spirit-sword-conversion-to-3e
>It gets worse
For 2m you get to ignore someone's parry. This also counts as a surprise attack.
>>
File: zAK9Oz2.jpg (66 KB, 640x546) Image search: [Google]
zAK9Oz2.jpg
66 KB, 640x546
>>43707933

>Would 5m be more appropriate?

Is this Anathema for real?
>>
File: shenron.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
shenron.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
How much treasure do you generally throw around in your games /tg/?

I'm running a western pirate quest of sorts and am throwing around treasure pretty much everywhere. Hell i'm even throwing in the dragon balls being scattered across creation, the Wyld and beyond. (Wishes will still follow Exalted's absolutes of time travel and Resurrection, immortality etc.) I was curious as to how much specifically fantastical treasure you placed in your games I suppose. Any stories would be appreciated as well.
>>
>>43707986
>Wishes will still follow Exalted's absolutes of time travel and Resurrection
No. Just no. That's as dumb as >>43707933

Immortality is easy, any Sorcerer can do it.
>>
>>43707986
I am of the opinion that Exalted works better when rewards are better when they are story. Resources dots pale in comparison to a favor from a local lord. A fancy golden sword is nice, but why not have your own castle. The old murderhobo mentality doesn't really work when any Solar exalted can just go get what they want with some effort. Immaterial rewards work better more often than not. Backing, Influence, Cults and the like.
>>
File: 1446993658141.png (466 KB, 676x820) Image search: [Google]
1446993658141.png
466 KB, 676x820
>>43707962
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/767343-spirit-sword-conversion-to-3e
Everyone seems to be genuinely confused about how much stuff should cost.

It might be because there's no good guideline or rule of thumb included.

Because that's something we'd never need, right?

>>43707986
>How much treasure do you generally throw around in your games /tg/?
What is treasure? If we boil it down to fantastical treasure the answer is "exactly as much as the players ask for, if I'm doing it right" because throwing random artifacts at your players is stupid and just wastes everyone's time with bookkeeping. Bookkeeping 3e may be big on that, but I am not.

With that said, maguffins are always fun. Including them tends to please everyone, even if they rarely get to keep them.

If you're talking about more mundane treasure, you can offer them Resource dots based on piracy. But uh, if they stop pirating those dots will vanish. So sort of a double-edged sword for them.
>>
>>43708091
Care to elaborate on what you think is dumb? based on your secondary statement I can't determine if you think the idea of the Dragon Balls as a whole existing is stupid or just the barring on imperfect immortality.

>>43708102
I am certainly not stopping them from gaining IMMATERIAL benefits as well. But those are gained throughout the story. Being that it's a quest based around being a party of Pirates, I feel like great amounts of exceptionally rare items and mountains of treasure fits the theme of the journey.

>>43708108
If they stop pirating the dots will vanish yes. However they are quite active in that regard easily having gained enough treasure to garner an actual resource 5 purchase without actually going down a dot. Not indefinitely, but at least once.
>>
>>43705417
has some one brewed them for 3ed?
>>
>>43708266
I guess what I am saying is, material booty doesn't have much impact 'mechanically' in Exalted, especially 3e. You have some more resources sure, but EVERY Solar exalted is going to have an easy time gaining resources. A better reward might be, the Circle clears out an island of beastmen, and now has their own private island base from which to pirate from. Or like ransoming a noble's daughter back to them gains them both infamy and a story tie to said noble. A pile of gold is just words on a page in my opinion compared to other possible rewards.
>>
>>43707645
the current charm system is magnificent at what it's designed to do: make the twilight actually engage with the story instead of just saying 'during downtime I make the Industrial Revolution happen.'

It does, however, make the Twilight incapable of throwing a million dice during downtime and making the Industrial Revolution happen. Since that was the only reason to like crafting before, well, it's unsurprising 2E craft-lovers are down on it.
>>
>>43708266
>Care to elaborate on what you think is dumb? based on your secondary statement I can't determine if you think the idea of the Dragon Balls as a whole existing is stupid or just the barring on imperfect immortality.
Wish granting artifacts are super powerful, but ok as a campaign focus.
Perfect unkillability is stupid for obvious reasons.
Unaging immortality is ok, but not as useful when your potential lifespan is 3k+ and any capable sorcerer can make you unageing with a working.
Mostly my complaints are about the ability to transcend setting convention with time travel and resurrection. There are reasons those rules are in place.
Time travel presents an undo button. it makes consequences of your actions not matter, and consequences are a Big Deal in Exalted. It also fucks with everything if NPCs get it, but that's probably not a problem.
Resurrection is similar to time travel, in that it makes death not matter anymore. It rids the setting of death related drama, which is also important.

Hope that clears it up.
>>
>>43703483
Well even a short spear is about the same size as a sword, at least in real life with weapons like the Zulu iklwa.
>>
>>43708484
>not having a time tripping ride
>>
>>43708431

No. You could argue the system could. But the entire charm tree exists to go around the clunky system. If you get all the charms you don't actually have to craft anything. Bank craft XP from story and daily charms and then spend them on downtime to make things.

Craft split yet again is completely retarded. And it is the largest Charm tree in the game for no reason other then to pad itself. While other trees allow you to do things Craft charms exist so you don't have to do things. So yeah fun.
>>
File: q3A0aOZ.jpg (104 KB, 1200x359) Image search: [Google]
q3A0aOZ.jpg
104 KB, 1200x359
>>43708484
B-b-but they said that the artifacts DOES follow the no time travel and other bullshit rule?
>>
>>43708404
I see. Well I don't have to worry about that too much, as I have plans for them to gain their own base of operations. There was a chance for them to ransom off a Dynast back to the house V'neef... Until the captain went a little to ham fighting him and basically cleaved him in half. But thank you, I'll try and think of less tangible treasure to toss at them.

>>43708484
Yeah, what >>43708693
said. I specifically want to KEEP those rules in place because I don't want to break the only REAL impossibilities in the setting.
>>
>>43708693
>your image
THAT SENTENCE DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!
>>
>>43705584
Not surprising at all.
>Hey, you guys can't talk about the topic brought up by this woman for the last 50 pages, even though she continually restarts it herself.
>http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?768985-Exalted-Why-is-Everyone-Praising-3e&p=19571133#post19571133

They don't like contradictions to the group-think there, partner.
>>
>>43708741
>>43708693
For fuck sake. I'm sorry, I'm tired and I misread.
>>
>>43708757
It's perfectly understandable, Anon. I misread more often than I care to admit.
>>
>>43708770

too true.

I bet you love your family.
>>
>>43708741

What can the Dragonballs do that Sorcery can't?
>>
>>43708787

Raise people from the dead
>>
>>43708804
Depends on what you mean by "raise people from the dead" because, you know.

Necromancy.
>>
>>43708778
Fuck off, Jake.
>>
>>43708811

You first, Kyle. Nice get.
>>
>>43708664
I haven't run the numbers on this, but from a cursory view the amount of free craft xp seems rather low so you don't get to produce UNLIMITED TREASURE. And to get the whole tree you have to be rather late in the game, so the results are not game-breaking.

Also, the fact that the Charm tree circumvents the craft system (im)possibilities only makes sense, since it's established in the setting that normal people (well, so long as you call Terrestrials normal people) literally cannot produce the high-level wonders of the First Age or anything similar.

But then again, I'm not the one you were answering to, and actually don't have that much of an idea.
>>
>>43708787

Bring back Ed's mom.
>>
>>43708809
Buu can do that, and he don't need no fancy dragon balls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0dMVKOXKW8
>>
>>43708835
As a GM who had a crafter in the game for a short period of time here is my observations

Craft requires a lot to get into, a lot. Basically make it your supernal or don't bother at first. Once you get going however it gets powerful very very very fast. its can be amazingly powerful but you have to commit.
>>
File: vDscRxA.gif (1020 KB, 365x272) Image search: [Google]
vDscRxA.gif
1020 KB, 365x272
>>43708742
Grammatically, it does.
>>
>>43708872
But in terms of someone actually understanding tit when you quote it at them...nope!
>>
>>43708864
Thank you for your evaluation! That's how I thought it would go. And actually, that's pretty fine in my book. It's kinda what Craft should be.

Well, as long as it is possible to create smaller artifacts with a small buy-in.
>>
>>43708864
And it makes it into a total artifact creation line, which is...weird, given all the piss they flung about not wanting that to happen.
>>
>>43708835

Assuming you are doing Craft Split and have at least 3 abilities at 5 means that at Essence 1 you get 9 silver xp a day. It goes up from there with your essence. That is not even the story charms just a single daily one. You can really start racking up Craft XP.

Really the whole system is really stupid. A good chunk of the charms in the second half of the tree are pretty good but they don't really interact with the Craft xp system at all. So you can really cut the whole slots and system aspect out and have a reasonable charm tree that works. Assuming you are not playing with a rollplay crafter who is going to muchkin everything. But then again with the current system the only thing stopping them is the fact they need to buy a lot more charms.

In the end the point of anything in RPGs is for the player and storyteller to have fun. Craft is neither fun for the player or storyteller in its current state.
>>
>>43708904
ehh slowly. my advice then would be get a tiny amount of speed and momentum charms, then focus on power. power is the key one for beating terminus, but you need craftsmen needs no tools and thousand forge hands to do anything at reasonable speed.

the actual genius of the system is that it means anything short of a solar wont be able to maintain first age tech, a dragon blood literally cannot keep up with the demands of upper level artifacts.

ok craft becomes op for one main reason. how easy it is to create NA artifacts. with the speed that thousand forge hands gives you, along with a healthy application of craft charms. means you can make several NA artifacts in a game more than likley.

But a small buy in is possible, but tricky, probably impossible till essence 2-3. craft requires dedication, but because of how many high powered artifacts you can make it can become broken.

also as for exp costs, they are a joke. just grab the charm that lets you convert silver points to gold, gold to white ect... and just have your solar make like 50 knifes (ala skyrim blacksmithing leveling up) and shift them all into white points.... and with needs no tools you can make those 100 daggers in like an hour.

(keep in mind this is crafting charms as it as in the leak)
>>
Ok so I'd like /tg/'s opinion on this setup:

Basically my group is visiting Luthe right now, and they just got confronted by Leviathan, who has a plan to Kidnap/Social Fu Steel, the group's Dawn Caste, and then use some rituals fueled by equal parts Desperation, the Great Curse, and not a small bit of insanity to basically attempt to resurrect the Dawn's past incarnation, Iutia the Peerless Warrior, who was Leviathan's First Age lover. The plan's then to take the stockpiles of first age artifacts, and the army he's been breeding since the Contagion, and use the Dawn as the commander of the army and the rest of the circle (preferably) or just the Eclipse who's his solar mate as lieutenants in a war of vengeance against the Realm.

I know this idea is completely impossible in setting. Leviathan, on the other hand, has been running a death camp for the Traitorspawn for the last 750 years or so. All because he legitimately believes that he's punishing the reincarnated killers of his lover. So clearly the guy's gone off his rocker. So what are some good ideas to throw into this plot? I already have an attempt at a mass sacrifice of the entire city's Traitorspawn population planned, to fuel an attempt at merging the salvaged Po and Hun souls of Iutia after displacing Steel's souls. Probably some custom version of Insidious Lunar Transformation to force the Shape of Iutia on Steel as well.
>>
>>43708932
> at least 3 abilities at 5
b-b-but that leaves you with very few skill points for everything else? At that point you're screaming "I don't want to do anything but Craft all day erry day, fuck adventures"

Please note I'm not saying you're generally wrong, I'm questioning some points in your arguments. It may pretty well be that the system really isn't fun to play.
>>
>>43709076
Yes, Craft is very all-in-or-nothing
>>
>>43709076

It is the largest charm tree in the game and the one you need to buy the most into to get anything out of. You can't play a half-assed crafter. Its all in or nothing with this system.
>>
>>43709027
It's not impossible in-setting. Resurrection is, but awakening a past incarnations memories to the point you basically are that past incarnation is doable.
>>
>>43709076
Not true technically, just craft yourself a mech suit and some cannons. craft yourself artifacts to use. i have a twilight planned out who is scary because aside from her offensive sorcery and demons, an easy investment.. and then arms herself with doc oc style orichalcum arms and a bunch of other weaponry. you can make yourself a walking artillery piece. she's occasionally buy evocations and spells. (keep in mind evocations are not ability dependent) so grappling arms wwith flame throwers that fire essence beams, takes care of most non celestial level foes.
>>
>>43709076
You actually only need 2 Crafts at 5: Artifacts and whatever you base those artifacts on, like blacksmithing.
>>
>>43709178
yup, then use that charm which allows you to switch your crafting abilities. the main killer in craft is the charms needed.
>>
>>43708787
I suppose there's not much that they can do that Sorcery can't. However it's instant and perfect. It's like completing any working of any ambition instantly and to the exact specifications of what you want. It can also grant backgrounds that you'd otherwise probably have to spend a while obtaining. such as raising a cult from absolutely nothing. I suppose something like that could be done with Wyld Shaping technique as well.
>>
>>43702480
>>43702480
I like this idea, and am stealing it. Gonna retool a character of mine to be like this, because that's awesome.
>>
>>43708743
Wow. A question so hard to actually answer they decided to simply close the thread to save Holden the embarrassment.

Super awkward moment for rpg.net
>>
But yeah, in short from my experience, crafting takes a lot of investment to make it work.but once it does it could be one of the most powerful abilities in the game.

>>43709805
huh what the heck happened there?
>>
>>43709833

>But yeah, in short from my experience, crafting takes a lot of investment to make it work.but once it does it could be one of the most powerful abilities in the game.

How? Artifacts only Exalts can use? Things that can give you abilities that will always be worse then if you invested in other charms instead?
>>
>>43709833
Someone asked how RLSS can function against someone who is asexual, since it's not an unnatural influence so much as asexuals simply have no eros to begin with (per an asexual's characterization of asexuality). Which devolved into a huge fight about how a Solar could probably make an inanimate object desirous with RLSS. A couple of attempts to answer the question resulted in some real pie-in-face moments from SLS and Holden.

People posited the Red Rule would handle it, which the ace noted isn't true because it still presupposes desire is possible for the character. So Holden rides in atop the chariot of the Orichalcum Rule (which, amusingly, turns out to not be nearly as good as the Golden Rule) which when read in the light of interacting with asexuality basically equates being asexual to being a non-person.

Then someone proposed a new rule! Which actually solved the problem. But isn't exactly one of the rules. So problem not solved.

tldr; rape charms still rapey, Exalted still rapey, rapey still rapey
>>
>>43709922
From a personal perspective? As someone who games with an ace (who doesn't play ace characters, incidentally) and a bunch of "non-standards" as far as sexuality goes, my thoughts on it are really simple:

Respect the other people at the table. Period.

That is a much better rule than anything written in Ex3
>>
>>43709922
It's strange how I can barely recognise a conversation that I just read through the lens of your bias. I'd be willing to bet your bias isn't against asexual erasure either, you just hate Ex3 and the devs.
>>
Daily reminder asexuality isn't a real thing
>>
>>43709959
Well, Holden isn't just a liar, anon. He's also an asshole. But that's never really been debated here because anyone defending an opposing position would be laughed out of the threads.
>>
>>43709922
The objections against the red rule are retarded. This is a problem that doesn't even exist. It doesn't matter how 'mechanical' or 'out of character' the red rule is, is clearly solves the issue.
>>
>>43709959
May I, as a third party, ask what happened there from your point of view? I'm kinda scared to read the original thread, but am still curious.
>>
>>43710001
Jesus, I love Ex3 and I'd never consider defending Holden. He's a complete shit, but it's not Holden that's lying in this case.

>>43710015
Just read it dude, it's not that bad.
>>
>>43710003
I have no stake in asexual erasure (as I am not an ace) other than I would prefer nobody's identity be marginalized to the point where it doesn't even register as marginalia any more.

More to the point, the Red Rule is distinctly OOC which, as noted, means that the objection is fundamentally the player's rather than, necessarily, the character's. For me this makes a lot of sense because that is something I need to be concerned with at my own table. Whether our ace's feelings on the subject match Rachel's I don't know because beyond the "Hey I want to set some boundaries so let's talk about what those boundaries are so we're not playing footsie with the line by accident" conversation I don't know much about the ace's outlook on sexuality.

>>43710055
>Jesus, I love Ex3 and I'd never consider defending Holden. He's a complete shit, but it's not Holden that's lying in this case.
I happen to agree with you on this one. I think Rachel was having a bit of troll there, but I appreciated the hilarity of the maladroit answers just the same. Schadenfreude is Schadenfreude, worrying about whether it stems from a genuine place or not is silly. You're still having a laugh at someone else's misfortune.

>>43710015
>I'm kinda scared to read the original thread, but am still curious.
You may as well read it. You're just going to get bias no matter who tells it, and not enough tellings to shake off the bias.
>>
>>43709833
You can actually check the first posts in this thread for the link back to the previous thread's discussion. Essentially, it was a few pages of reasonable discussion about how to best represent an asexual's non-reaction to the seduction Charms. The RPG.net mods put out warnings because with only one asexual person in the discussion it was edging really close to folks lecturing her about her sexuality, then shut the thread because people couldn't stop discussing her even with the warnings.

Honestly, it's really just a situation that needs to be solved OOC with the player stating "I want my character to act like someone of my orientation would," and the ST nodding and going, "Sounds good."

It is super-frustrating to me that we have an RPG that actually includes active consent in the rules but people insist on playing out the worst-case scenarios for sexy Charms like it's the default.
"Oh, this will be used to rape gay people."

"Oh, having to talk OOC about my preferences for this game means the designers deliberately excluded me."

"Oh, I had a bad experience in a play-by-post years ago and the developers are not doing enough to protect me from shitty human beings."

The standards that get applied to Ex3 are completely different from those that get applied to other RPGs. I have never seen a D&D thread where people argue that enchantment magic is proof of WotC's internalized misogyny and rape fetishes, because clearly Charm Person will be used to sexually abuse barmaids like a date rape drug, or that Control Undead will be used to found a brothel of crying shota vampire whores.

Granted, the devs have written shitty material before and gotten called out on it, but if you cannot handle three sexy powers in a list of 700, you need to grow up.
>>
>>43710174
>The standards that get applied to Ex3 are completely different from those that get applied to other RPGs.
They are not. Rose Bailey has spoken extensively and candidly about the writing decisions made in light of the social justice outlook of the WoD developers. That Holden and Morke are incapable of the same consideration and technique is just affirmative to what a lot of people now suspect: they can't hack it.

Moreover, the reason Ex3 gets held to this standard is not, as I noted, unique to it is because Holden and Morke claim to espouse the same social justice outlook but are definitely not walking the walk. I mean, they support professional wrestling. Case fucking closed.

This is why most actual progressives don't get involved in social justice debates; they're aware that social justice isn't something that can be obtained from debating its merits on Twitter. Nor is claiming to be something in fact the same as being what you claim.

Most actual social justice activists never talk about it. I didn't know my father was arrested in Selma until I got asked about it after joining the military. He never spoke of it. He wasn't ashamed and wasn't trying to hide it, but he wouldn't let that moment in his life define him and his pride wasn't founded on that act alone. He was much more proud of being the man who would stop and have a conversation with the homeless on the streets, offer them a sandwich, and wish them better fortune. Every single day.
>>
File: What's in here.webm (878 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
What's in here.webm
878 KB, 1280x720
>>43709833
Basically, an asexual idnvidual decided that since her unique edge-case of Asexuality(Based on comments she's made, she's physically unable to become aroused at things, which is...yes. Possible, but not even close to the majority) wasn't taken into account for a single charm, she decided that she'd make a bit of a fuss, and any time a solution was proffered, as it wasn't a re-write of the charm to take her edge-case into consternation, it was flat out erasure, nothing more, nothing less. This snow-balled into about 40-50 pages where she refused to budge even slightly.

Which becomes hilarity, frankly.

It's not erasure if the totally 100% unyieldingly dude that's all about the pussy is tempted into a romp with a glorious golden god.

The vast, VAST majoirty of Asexuals still have the actual, physical ability to become aroused and feel desire. They simply don't, because that's how their mind works, much like how I'm not getting turned on by that big bear of a man, or a woman so fat I can't see her feet.

Some people, however, DO get off on that stuff.

It's manulating even the slightest of desire, which can be as simple as "...that dude looks pretty cool.", gently building it up to "W-well...maybe..".

And it can do this to anyone. Man, woman, gay, straight, asexual.

It ain't fucking erasure.

What she probably wants, although I can't even begin to imagine the shitstorm it would cause, is a mutation, if her body physically has the ability to feel arousal turned off and wired down.

But again, edge-case, not goddamn erasure.
>>
>Rpg.net
>Exalted
>Not two shitastic things mixed in together into a fucking cake of shittyness
>>
File: 20071030.gif (15 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
20071030.gif
15 KB, 700x300
>>43710289
>>
>>43710348
wat
>>
>>43710361
It's a terrible joke, but it's still a joke. Laugh, or be racist.
>>
>>43710278
>I mean, they support professional wrestling. Case fucking closed.
…Wait, what? As a non-American I have pretty muchno idea about wrestling, besides it looking and being real life alternative to superhero comics: hilariously overdone and dumb, but somehow cool exactly for this same reason.
>>
>>43710278
>liking professional wrestling makes you a bad person

Well fuck you too buddy
>>
>>43710393
While counter to their point, it's actually perfectly in line with the other person's point.

Don't pander to these people. Because this is the shit you get.
>>
File: 20070703.gif (12 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
20070703.gif
12 KB, 700x300
>professional wrestling.
>>
>>43710393
Also has a really tortured history with jokes-in-poor-taste about slavery, racism, jingoism, dogmatism, sexism, homophobia...

And I don't mean like "these things happened a long time ago," I mean as recently as the early 2000s. Given that the most popular wrestling syndicate is run by a pretty nutso conservative family, it's not exactly shocking to learn these things.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/27/racism-wrestling-problem-hulk-hogan-n-word

There's plenty more out there if you're genuinely curious.

>>43710417
>Well fuck you too buddy
Yeah, I believe that rests my case.
>>
>>43710492
>Yeah, I believe that rests my case.
You could believe in Zeus for all the difference it will make.
>>
>>43710492
Hue

Can't believe I fell for this bait

S.M.H F.A.M
>>
>>43710522
Watch your fucking tone, heretic, or He'll fucking smite your arse.
>>
>>43710439
I don't get it.
>>
>>43710535
>>43710522
Yeah, we have one person here that seems to really want to defend SJWs for...some reason. See
>>43701723
Where they claim that the stereotype of SJWs threatening lives and livelihoods comes from nowhere.

Best to just ignore, honestly. If if you're gunna, at least be aware of what you're getting into.
>>
>>43710576
You seem confused. Is this normal for you?
>>
File: cometshirt.png (272 KB, 446x446) Image search: [Google]
cometshirt.png
272 KB, 446x446
>>43710601
I dunno, I seem to know exactly what I'm talking about.
>>
File: lolatyou.gif (87 KB, 256x306) Image search: [Google]
lolatyou.gif
87 KB, 256x306
>>43710637
You must have missed the part where I tore down the premise of "social justice warriors."

But don't worry. You seem to know exactly what you're talking about.
>>
>>43710707
No, you set up a strawman that you then tore down.

Shame it has nothing to do with reality.

Given, you know, the picture I posted. Something that actually fucking happened.

A guy's job attacked just after he made a major scientific achievement because of a shirt GIVEN TO HIM BY ANOTHER WOMAN, and hounded him until he broke down on TV forced to apologize.

But of course, you 'tore down the premise' so it didn't ever actually happen.

Sure.
>>
>>43710750
How much of your education do you attribute to professional wrestling now?
>>
>>43710174
>Control Undead will be used to found a brothel of crying shota vampire whores.

How did you get access to my campaign notes?
>>
So how do you guys name your characters?
>>
>>43711148

Well I've got a Haslanti league Twilight so I just opened up a name generator for nordic names and rolled till i got one I liked, and then twisted it a bit.
>>
>>43711148
Generally for my characters I just look up words that are synonymous or representative of the overarching 'theme' I have in mind for that particular character. I generally only use this for characters that have Title or Object names, rather than names as we're used to them.

Other times, it's as easy as a bunch of syllables just falling out of my mouth and sounding good together.
>>
>>43711148

There is only one way to generate characters in exalted: http://eye.swfchan.com/flash.asp?id=82313&n=KnowYourUltimateDestiny.swf

I AM DARK HERNANDEZ! THE HARDEST DESTROYER DESTINED TO BUY-OUT PEDOBEAR!
>>
>>43711332
I dunno, I bet there are also ways entertaining to non-stoned people.
>>
>>43711369
>not playing Exalted stoned
>>
>>43711389
I actually do play Exalted stoned. Basically everybody at my table smokes weed.

It is, as the young'uns say, "pretty dope".
>>
>>43711437
I mean stoned as in hitting your head against rocks.

Because you'd need brain damage to sit down and play with its ruleset.

Dohohohoho
>>
>>43711389
>>43711437
>>43711499
>/exg/ in a nutshell
>>
File: Nightmare-in-soul-calibur-4.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2394) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare-in-soul-calibur-4.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2394
Stat this guy in exalted. Im thinking infernal?
>>
>>43712265
It's a cursed magical Daiklave that possesses Mortals and makes them do its bidding by giving them absurd, Supernatural strength.

Not everything has to be an Exalt you twit.
>>
>>43712300
Chaos and Soul Calibur are obviously Exigences, if those are still confirmed for being able to be physical objects.
>>
>>43712300
i just said what was at the top of my head dude.
>>
>>43712350
No. No just stop.

Just stop. They don't have to be Exalt related at all. Just make them Behemoths or something.
>>
>>43712265
npc

apply whatever stats required to provide challenge
>>
>>43711332

YOU ARE PENIS HUNTER THE HORNY PEDO DESTINED TO SEXUALLY HARASS VALHALLA.

Well, time to break into Yu-Shan.
>>
>>43712392
Why not Exalts, though? It makes sense. Certainly more sense than being a behemoth.
>>
Did we get any word on how 3e Infernals are going? Has Fallout 4 completely devoured Alchemical Guy ,and we are now only to see him again in our dreams and nightmares?
>>
>>43712562
Doesn't Soul Edge completely make its wielder a puppet to its whims?
>>
>>43712562
>Why not Exalts, though? It makes sense.
Because they aren't Chosen heroes, they're fungible puppets of a primordial monster of singular power and destructive potential, with no others like it. ie., a behemoth
>>
>>43711332
Pedobear: Actual Celestial God

This is the guy Realm patricians use to scare their kids into going to bed on time. Him and the Bull of the North.
>>
>>43712988
>Him and the Bull of the North

Is there any point in making a distinction? They're in for the same fate if they encounter either!
>>
File: 1447073350331.jpg (277 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1447073350331.jpg
277 KB, 1200x1200
>>43713013
>Bull of the North worshipped as God of Paedophiles
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.