[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: try.jpg (65 KB, 558x336) Image search: [Google]
try.jpg
65 KB, 558x336
Is it sometimes a good idea to ignore red flags when it comes to a new group and just give them the benefit of the doubt and hope things dont turn creepy and/or frustrating?
>>
>>47495497
There is nothing wrong with giving it a shot.
If the group is actually worth a shit, you would be able to talk to at least the gm about your concerns.
However, there is a point where you need to accept that maybe your "red flags" is just something in your own head.
>>
>>47495497
Yes. Just make sure you can safely bail (don't give them your primary email, prone number, or god forbid your address)
>>
>>47495559
Thankfully this is a online group
>>47495532
>in your own head
I would love to follow this advice but... well.. lets see if you can point out what I'm worried about
>DM wants rolled stats (ugh)
>800 starting gold
>Other players post mythwavers links to characters
>Not one character has a stat lower then 15
>despite 800 starting gold, one player has 30 platinum pieces with a background story of them being a wounderer
>>
>>47495621
What is it, PF?
The stats have me wondering, and that is something to aks the gm about, he may offer rerolls or have an elite roll system.
The starting gold really doesn't do much except allow you to start with more tools or a handful of minor magic bangles that are situation dependent.
The character sheets are such, what is the issue so long as they are filled out correctly and to completion?
The one player, if this is PF and he took the mercantile trait could easily explain it.
Half of this is really nonissue, the others are what you should talk to the GM about. If he is evasive or dishonest, then you have a legit grievance.
>>
>>47495749
It's 3.5 with absolutly no source books
>>
>>47495799
................................................................................................................. yeah, it's time to ask some fucking questions.
>>
>>47495827
And it's by far not the only red flags i've seen, thou the others are ones i'm willing to over look. But over the past week they have just been in the back of my mind constantly. As far as I see it, there's no one everyone could be THAT lucky with EVERY stat roll. I guess luckily i have another week to backout or ask questions
>>
>>47495497
When I first encountered by D&D group, I stepped into a basement to find four horrifying neckbeards that looked exactly what I feared I would always become. I almost turned around and walked away.

We're now the best of friends.
>>
>>47495497
With a new group, I tend to treat them as a learning experience for myself, and with that mindset it's almost impossible for me to get upset with a player, regardless of how creepy or frustrating they end up.

It's just that sort of "Oh, these people actually exist" sort of moment.
>>
>>47495497

I give it 3 red flags minimum before I drop a group. Sometimes a session depending on how invested I am.

It sounds audacious to say, but random groups on the internet very seldom deserve the benefit of the doubt, because they're rarely going to pull a 180 on their conduct. If players don't say anything and just miss a session, they're rarely going to reverse that trend just because you tell them to cut that shit out. If GMs wholly negate your party's failure or success just to make sure you get back on the story he wanted you to engage in, he's not likely to stop doing it just because you brought up that it's kind of gay that he did that.

What you see is what you get, 99% of the time. Just learn to recognize the trends and move on when you see enough of them manifesting.
>>
File: Nature.jpg (110 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Nature.jpg
110 KB, 250x250
>>47495497
>ignore red flags
>a good idea

Not even once. Exercise prudence. Trust but verify, etc. I'm not saying zero tolerance, but instincts exist for good reason. Sometimes several.

Ignore your brain at your mortal peril, OP. Whenever mine seems like it wants to contribute something, I've learned to be vewwy, vewwy quiet and listen until I'm sure it's finished.

YMMV
>>
>>47495992
That's the story of one of my best players, except he was one of four fat goths. Sadly, the other three players were some of the worst people I've ever played with, but the one guy was actually a really great guy in general and a great roleplayer once seperated from his old friends.
>>
>>47495621
>DM wants rolled stats (ugh)
>Not one character has a stat lower then 15

If it's 4d6 drop lowest, 6 times that's 0.00015% PER character. Either there's some rerolling during character generation going on or most/all of the other player's are blatantly cheating.

Even if you don't care about that sort of thing, do you really think that a group of people this artless would be fun to play with?
>>
>>47495497
Never. Have fun.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.