[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find players that want to have DRAMATIC MONOLOGUING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1410580335976.jpg (570 KB, 1134x680) Image search: [Google]
1410580335976.jpg
570 KB, 1134x680
How do I find players that want to have DRAMATIC MONOLOGUING with the NPC enemies?

Everyone I find is either a zip lipped murder hobo or a "but the realistic choice here would be absolute, immediate violence before it can be inflicted on me" and then behaving exactly like the zip-lip.

I write two paragraph backstories for my main enemies and start /every/ fight by trying to talk with the party and I just can't get shit out of them.
>>
>>47464471
Play by their rules and have your baddies shoot first. Then when they're bloodied and broken you can have a Tarantino-esque chat with them.
>>
As a player, I often tend to get self-conscious of my character being too wordy and I try to not hog the spotlight.
If you'd like people to talk a bit more, maybe politely suggest as such before the session starts.
I guarantee most of them are holding back to try and be polite.
>>
That's easy. Try talking to them when they're not trying to kill each other.

Alternatively make them hate the NPCs so they'll want to enter a bit of verbal combat. This can be done by

>having enemy NPC ruin their day
>having enemy NPC create an obstacle so they have to go the long way around, make sure they know it was him
>having them brutalize friendly animals, not humanoid NPCs. Even most cynical rollplayers don't take it well. Especially if you're graphically detailing it

or

>if they manage to not get murdered by the party make them reoccurring, maybe not immediately as another foe

or

>make them waifu bait so they'll try to give her the D

Or some combination of the above.
>>
>>47464471
Give your players a hint before-hand of the session that "remember, roleplaying can have benefits."

The "realistic" choice they're referring to is the "meta" choice, not the "realistic" choice in the sense that's how they should act within the world around them. That's one thing a lot of players have a problem with in RPG's, they don't know how to roleplay within the game.
>>
It shouldn't feel like trickery nor pulling teeth to get players to use the power of words
>>
Make the BBEG replaceable/expendable. If the players kill him, he gets replaced and the organisations plans continue. A plan the players need to know more about if they want to stop it.

Or put the players in a position where immediate violence is not an option. For example, the BBEG is taunting them over radio or is currently surrounded by powerful NPCs who don't believe he that evil.
>>
>>47464471
Discuss what expectations and tone you guys prefer for the game before you start playing.
>>
File: cawcawmf.png (178 KB, 800x754) Image search: [Google]
cawcawmf.png
178 KB, 800x754
>>47466167
Taunting over radio is a genius idea. The players are gearing up for that final epic run on a motherfucker. Suddenly, he comes on the tacnet, or appears to them in a dream, or some other shit where it's all trash talk all the time. Then, when the PCs are good and prepped, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of murderhobo.
>>
File: crow-archer.png (608 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
crow-archer.png
608 KB, 800x1200
>>47466444
Better yet, cut the connection so that the BBEG gets the last word. That way, the PCs have to stop and taunt him one more time before they get into it.
>>
>>47464471
You are blessed. I have a player that is fucking fascinated with speeches.

>"YOU! Lowly guardsmen!"
>"Erm. That's Captain General but alrigh-"
>"Are you aware of the storm which approaches!?"
>"The actual storm? Or did you mean the succession crisis?"
>"FOOL!"
>"I wish you'd keep it do-"
>"Where are your guards!? Have you no control over these cretins!?"
>"Well, most are manning their posts and passing out word of the curfew. Wouldn't want people out and about when those nobles-"
>"My GODS man! I know you, a mere guardsman, could never understand the things I have seen in my career, but PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!"
>PC is a twenty-something girl
>Guard captain is easily in his seventies and built like a brick shithouse covered in scars
>PC continues
>"It is clear to me only I have the political know-how to help the kingdom navigate this crisis!"
>"You'll have to talk with the King about that. He's arriving for the Moot as well so-"
>"Man all posts! THE WAR BEGINS!"
>.....

Just. Fuck. He immediately jumped from "there's a crisis needing a handling" to "UNLIMITED POWAH" in about twenty seconds flat, and then spent close to a half hour talking shit to all the rather put-upon bureaucrats trying to manage the crisis. He ended up spinning that episode into his character being a wacky gal so it worked out later on, but it still freaked the table out a bit.
>>
>>47464723
Looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again.
>>
This all seems highly questionable.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.