[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So one of the players in my group insists that we try out AD&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 979479.jpg (126 KB, 600x768) Image search: [Google]
979479.jpg
126 KB, 600x768
So one of the players in my group insists that we try out AD&D 2e. What am I in for from someone who mainly plays 3.5? I searched on the internet for the answer and most people say that it gives characters more freedom. How exactly does it give people more freedom compared to 3.5?
>>
File: Rokka no Yuusha.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Rokka no Yuusha.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Dart fighters being better than greatsword fighters, and Complete Book of Elves elves (especially bladesingers) being better than everyone else.

.webm related on dart fighters.
>>
>>47434764
No feats means no retarded blocks on useful abilities just because someone wanted to make it harder for you.

Fighting Men / Fighters are basically Fighters/Rogue Gestalts when compared to the 3.5 fighters, they have the most skills and the most abilities in general as well as being masters of more forms of combat than other classes.

The Thief class instead gets a good amount of specific skills, but instead gets straight % that lets them overcome challenges that would otherwise require something specific or impossible - "Disabling" a pit trap so you can walk over it with no problems, or being able to stop a magical gem from shooting magical fireballs with nothing but two thumbs and a pair of tweezers.

Also, minute-long combat rounds means that you have much more freedom in what you do, and raising the casting time from 6 seconds to 60 really fucks casters over in ways that are hard to properly intuit, the 6-second combat round from 3.x was the start of so much of their bullshit.
>>
>>47434764
D4 hit points for wizards, no max HD for first level, dual/multiclassing is totally different, kits rather than prestige classes, no CR for encounter design, don't need stupid feats to trip an enemy.
>>
>>47434953
Oh yeah, and character balance is off exp, NOT level, so a rogue with 2,200,000 exp will be level 20 but the priest with the same exp will be almost level 18.
>>
>>47434864
The thief is also complete ass.
>>
>>47435074
What's why you dual-class thief/priest or thief/fighter.
>>
Planescape and Spelljammer! Use them!
>>
>>47435148
This, desu. Go download everything in the TSR folder in the OSR trove.
>>
>>47435148
Planescape general thread here: >>47435183
>>
Tables tables tables. And also charts. Tables and charts. Unified mechanics haven't been invented yet, so keep the PHB ready for reference.

A lot less specific rules in general, on the other hand, so you won have to look up more obscure actions all the time.

Without skills for basic shit like seeing things, you'll be relying on attributes for that, making them more important.

4d6 for chargen may look intimidating, but take a second look at the attribute tables: the most probable range of 8-14 tends to offer no bonuses or penalties.

Also classes have requirements that can go very high for advanced ones like Paladin, so you aren't guaranteed to get the character you want even if you don't roll in order.
>>
>>47434819
>Complete Book of Elves
Go fuck yourself! NEVER suggest such an abomination again.
>>
File: Tulani.png (4 MB, 2262x1218) Image search: [Google]
Tulani.png
4 MB, 2262x1218
>>47435802
Would you prefer Warriors of Heaven instead?

>My character will be a tulani eladrin!

Pic related.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.