[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Villain Tiers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 762x1120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 762x1120
Someone has got to put the breaks on this meme

I am sick and tired of every amateur writer thinking their story jumps by three magnitudes of greatness if the villain isn't actually evil, just misunderstood.

As in..
> Their dark (and brooding) past excuses their actions
> They don't understand human life/morality (and can't be bothered to make an effort)
> They were working toward a secret goal (that they were too autistic to tell anyone about)
And God forbid
> They were trying to prepare the world for something worse then them

I like villains like Voldemort, Sauron, INGSOC, Nurse Ratched and IT.

All of them are interesting villains with depth that only would have been worsened by a last minute twist where it turns out THE MAIN CHARACTERS WERE THE REAL VILLAINS ALL ALONG

> inb4 OP is buthurt
very long story short apparently the obviously evil person my party killed was really a super good woman who refused to tell anyone this in anything but the most misleading possible way
>>
IT was a spider monster that had to eat children to survive.
>>
>>47461585
>Sauron
He wanted to conquer Middle Earth. How is there room for interpretation there?

>INGSOC
As in the 1984 INGSOC? Or am I missing a reference?

Good villains run the gambit.

Ozymandias is an excellent villain. Relateable in most ways, alien in subtle ones. My favorite part about Oxymandias is the fact the doesn't gloat before he wins. "It happened fifteen minutes ago." Excellent.

My favorite villain, however, is The Joker. This is for several reasons. But mostly because he truly enjoys what he does. He isn't trying to make money, or be a misunderstood hero, or anything else.

>Side note
Magneto shouldn't be on this list of villains. He isn't one.
>>
>>47461585
>That list
/co/ has some shitty boner for them.
Muh family! Muh savior! Muh millions!
>>
any kind of villain on that list can be done well or badly its up to the writer.
>>
>>47461585
>Giygax
>mid tier
you can fuck right off
>>
>>47461585
why is this based entirely on motivations, sometimes a basic evil for evils sake villain can be done in a really fun way
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 283x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 283x320
>>47461670
> Magneto did nothing wrong
>>
>irenicus
>retaliating against misdeeds
>"misdeed" was actually a just punishment for his crimes he comitted for "shit tier" reasons
top kek

Irenicus is one of most overrated villains ever, and not just for this reason
>>
>>47461585
Oxymandias is a good villain, but fuck, did I want to punch the shithead at the end.

I don't even feel sorry about the inevitable leak and war from Rorschach's journal. Oxymandias has the blood of millions on his hands, and the peace won is built on a lie

It's a funny story that puts the most sympathy on the psychopath.
>>
>>47461832
Making bad or harmful decisions =/= a villian.
>>
>>47461881
That's why Ozymandias is a great villain and character in general.

I think he did his best to save the world, and the Rorshach is too stubborn to ever actually help people.
>>
>>47461832
I'm not going to fault a guy defending his people against those who want to exterminate them.
>>
>>47461919
>Kills millions
>Saves the world
lol
>>
>>47461944
look, even if he killed, say, 7 million people, that's still a 99.9% success rate.
>>
>>47461944
Individual vs. Collective, anon. Life is not inherently sacred.
>>
>>47461919
That's the fun part of Watchmen: you can interpret the characters and plot differently and still be valid.
>>
>>47461995
*tip*
>>
>>47461944
>>47461976
>>47461995
They fucked this up so badly in the movie that he's reduced to a meh tier villain.
>>
>>47461940

So you don't fault people fighting back against Magneto? As he tries to exterminate humanity semi-regularly.
>>
>>47461881

That and, you know, it wouldn't have gone to actual war. We KNOW how the Cold War ended.
>>
>>47462365
>So you don't fault people fighting back against Magneto?
Exactly. No one is in the wrong here.

I'm pro-Magneto because mutants are the next step of evolution and no good can come of resisting that.
>>
>>47461585
What if your villain knows what he's doing is wrong, but believes that his brutal methods will ultimately bring about a far, far greater good?
>>
>>47462389

>I'm pro-Magneto because mutants are the next step of evolution and no good can come of resisting that.

...that's not how evolution works. It doesn't have 'steps' as such nor are any steps above other steps.
>>
>>47461976
The population of New York City is 8 million, so you're not too far off.
>>
>>47462442
People can bend metal with their mind, go invisible, or even send consciousness back in time. Or whatever crazy bullshit that happens.

That sounds like a step forward.
>>
>>47462442
>>47462389
In Old Man Logan they determine that the mutant phenomenon was only a phenomenon and it died out, meaning they ere not an evolutionary step up the ladder but a freak accident that eventually dies out.
>>
>>47462471

That's still not how evolution works. That's a change but it's not inherently better. After all, if a disease turns up that attacks the X-gene then it's an evolutionary weakness and it was humanity that was going to survive.

You can't really say 'X is more evolved than Y' when talking about stuff.

That and it's ignoring all the mutants who get nothing of note or come with downsides that make everyday life hell.

The X-Men and many of their villains are they guys that really won with their role of the dice.
>>
>>47462525
>That's a change but it's not inherently better.
Yes it is. Ability to throw fire is better than not having that ability.

>After all, if a disease turns up that attacks the X-gene then it's an evolutionary weakness and it was humanity that was going to survive.
Very true. But, until that happens being a mutant in the X-Men world is beneficial.

>That and it's ignoring all the mutants who get nothing of note or come with downsides that make everyday life hell.
>The X-Men and many of their villains are they guys that really won with their role of the dice.
Never said every mutant was awesome. The one we care about, named ones specifically, are however fucking awesome.

>>47462497
Is that canon or some 'what if' scenario?
>>
>>47462497
Old Man Logan is also extremely non-cannon though
Its likely they only did that to make sure there were only that small group of super humans left, and that it was more for the sake of the Old Man Logan story rather than anything meant to carry into other things
>>
Greatest Villain,

A hero becomes a villain in order to stop humanity from becoming what it hates most. The hero villain is only doing evil to guide humanity in the right path and if he needs to show humanity the extremes of an ideology.
>>
>>47462576
So, having the reasoning skills of a child is better because it take up less energy, until you get in an internet argument.
>>
>>47462576
>Yes it is. Ability to throw fire is better than not having that ability.

Again, that's not how evolutionary science works.

They are different and that is an advantage but doesn't make them evolutionary 'Better'.

Heck, the fact that Mutants are constantly on the edge of losing and dying out seems to be a pretty good indicator that they are not optimal for their environment.
>>
>>47462576
But lets say a dog is born without teeth. Thats a mutation, but it doesn't make it more evolved. Same can be said for mutants. Yes they have cool powers sometimes, but it also makes them a target, and thus can be seen as bad. Considering that mutants almost definitely have a much shorter life expectancy due to injury and murder, I'd say that a human has a better chance at surviving than a mutant does. You can't state that something is the "next evolutionary step" until it outlives its predecessors.
>>
>>47461657
Wasn't necessarily a "spider", they couldn't comprehend what he looked like and a giant spider was the closest approximation their brains could make.

Also he didn't eat children, he fed on their fear.
>>
>>47461657
#NotallSpiders!
>>
>>47461585
shit > meh > mid > elder god > high > great
>>
File: leto_ii_by_agrbrod-d6gckqg.jpg (381 KB, 1280x1695) Image search: [Google]
leto_ii_by_agrbrod-d6gckqg.jpg
381 KB, 1280x1695
>>47462600
so basically Leto II then
>>
>>47462576
>being able to throw fire is better than not having that ability

Better in what sense? Better for survival and reproduction?
I hate to break it to you, but being able to kill things more efficiently isn't necessarily a positive trait. Dinosaurs that were so big as to be outside the norm usually died out because no one wanted to fuck them. In reproduction, we seek those who are similar to us and share our experiences. Each mutant's power is unique; no one can relate to them. Even if a few manage to reproduce, it doesn't guarantee the offshoot will survive the next 500 years.

No, anon, cooler =\= better. Cooler = cooler.
>>
>>47461585
>Voldemort
>implying Voldemort did anything wrong

muggle-born wizards are a threat to the magical community's way of life. Just look at Hermione: bitch hadn't even hit puberty before she was complaining about wizard traditions and trying to tear down traditional institutions like with the 'free the house-elf' group. It's just common sense that outsiders value tradition far less.
>>
>>47461585
Your premise is retarded. Just look at your examples!

>Voldemort,

Just wanted to see Wizards ruling the world like they SHOULD have been, given their godlike control over reality.

>Sauron,

Wanted to unite the world under the banner of industry and propel Middle Earth out of the Dark Ages.

>INGSOC,

Just trying to protect their people from Eurasia, Eastasia, and internal dissidents.

>Nurse Ratchet

Just trying to run a goddamn mental health facility without Jack Nicholson fucking with everyone

>IT.

Actually a giant spider who gets killed with a slingshot.
>>
>>47461585
>If the world wants me dead, I'm taking it with me

There, villain plot.
>>
>>47461995
*tips fedora to reveal smaller fedora*
*tips that also*
>>
>>47462576
Actually, some time ago mutants started falling ill becouse of terrigan crystals in atmospere or something like that, so there is disese that targets mutants, And it spawned new wave of hate for mutants, cos humans are afraid of getting infected
>>
>>47462809
>Actually a giant spider who gets killed with a slingshot.
Gettin real sick and tired on having to correct people on this, but the slingshot didn't kill him. Their BELIEF that it would is what killed him.
>>
>>47461585
Most varieties of villain can be good if done right, but the 'shades of grey' villain that has made an upsurge in recent years isn't a good choice for a first-time writer or DM. It's got too much naunce to it.
>>
>>47462721
I mean, yes? Leto II is such a good villain I honestly never even thought of him as a villain.
>>
>>47462830
>hurr durr every life is pwecious

Don't you have an abortion clinic to bomb?
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 702x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 702x810
>>47462600
Pic definitely related
>>
>>47462388
We don't know how it would have ended in an alternate universe where Nixon is president for five terms. There's an implication that he was becoming unhinged as well.
>>
>>47462862
I mean he was called "The Tyrant" for 3000 years for a reason
but then again, you need a good apex predator to get humanity's survival instincts going and force them to scatter across the galaxy instead of just growing fat and killing themselves off slowly
>>
>>47461919
Rorschach did his best to save the world from what perceived as a greater evil. This is exactly why Watchmen was a good comic/movie
>>
>>47462867
*rate at which fedora is being tipped increases exponentially*
>>
>>47461670
>Magneto shouldn't be on this list of villains. He isn't one.

Mass murderer, raging racist, megalomaniac, hypocrite, cult of personality.

He's justified in his hate, not in his actions, and guess which of these makes you a villain.
>>
>>47462905
>Watchmen was a good comic

yes

>a good movie

fuck you and everything you stand for
>>
>>47462931
Aside from the weird power up for the characters (which was done for greater mass appeal) what exactly is wrong with the movie?
>>
>>47462931
Well it WAS a good movie
Sure, it wasn't an exact copy of the comic, but it was good
You don't have to hate it just because it isn't the same thing
>>
>>47462931
Zach Snyder does good choreography and visuals, but I have no idea why they think that means he can actually be in charge of a whole movie.
the opening credit montage of Watchmen is absolutely perfect because it's creative while still being true to the novel and getting information across well. Everything after that is horribly paced and a mess because Snyder didn't adapt it for a movie, he basically copied the novel scene for scene
>>
File: just like that.jpg (153 KB, 460x593) Image search: [Google]
just like that.jpg
153 KB, 460x593
>>47462917
underrated post
>>
>>47462388
We didn't have Dr. Manhattan destabilizing the whole situation just by existing. It seemed quite likely that the Cold War was about to go Hot very soon if Ozymandias hadn't pulled his little stunt.
>>
>>47461585
Bleh, always disagree with that villain chart when it comes up.

Not to mention. Comic book/ Vidya / Comic / Vidya / Comic / 1 Moive / Vidya.

Needs a serious overhaul, especially presenting to /tg/
>>
Can we agree that big bad monster villains are great tier?
>>
>>47462759
>Dinosaurs that were so big as to be outside the norm usually died out because no one wanted to fuck them.

This isn't how the Dinosaurs died out at all.
>>
>>47462839
That's somehow even stupider than what I originally thought.

And no, the whole "it's not a spider, that's just what they saw it as" thing does not make it better. If IT had just been a spooky clown ghost it would have been fine, but the entire finale of that story just piles on the retardation so hard that the only thing that comes to mind that's worse is The Langoliers.
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 3000x3000
>>47462759
> Implying comicbook genetics even resemble making sense
>>
>>47462972
The weird thing about Zach Snyder is that every movie he's made has been worse than the one before it. By the time Justice League Part II comes out it will be completely black and white and every singe scene will be a tenuously-relevant teaser for something that's planned for JL part 3.
>>
>>47463677
It's explained better in the books. Basically, Pennywise is a like a mirror, your fear reflects off of him which makes it real. That's why the slingshot worked, they reflected their belief that it would kill him back off of him which made it lethal. I'm assuming you could kill him with conventional means (happens in another book) though.

Probably explaining it shittily, it was pretty well explained in the book.
>>
File: doompanthergod7.jpg (341 KB, 774x1182) Image search: [Google]
doompanthergod7.jpg
341 KB, 774x1182
The only villains are those who oppose DOOM.
>>
>>47461585
I have a villain that used to be sympathetic before he jumped off the deep end and became a puppy-kicking, mustache-twirling, batshit insane manipulative maniac who has tiny moments of clarity he regularly ignores for the sake of seeing his childishly naive goal of resetting the world through.
Even he knows he's doing the wrong thing, he's just too obsessed with 'winning' after being screwed over his whole life to stop. He's a control freak obsessed with his power and using it to crush others to prove his 'superiority'.
Where does he stand?
>>
>>47464119
The best way I get the point across to people is that if IT were to turn into a vampire or werewolf IT would have all the weaknesses (You) believe a vampire or werewolf would have. You actually have to believe it though which is why the protagonists had an easier time as kids. The spider at the end is something close to its real form but it's basically your mind censoring something that is too fucked up and eldritch for it to understand so "spider" is the closest thing you can interpret a piece of the real IT to be without losing SAN.
>>
>>47463820
Let's just hope it never comes to that.
>>
>>47461944
One lost life is a tragedy
A million is a statistic
>>
>>47462910
*tips to the nth degree*
>>
>>47461585
>Sauron
>"interesting villain with depth"

You have to be fucking kidding me. Puerile taste aside, most people get sick and tired of stories where villains are stupid or evil "just because" even as children. Characters that behave without proper motivation are massive flaws if you really want people to take your story seriously.
>>
File: general-deatshead.jpg (64 KB, 926x576) Image search: [Google]
general-deatshead.jpg
64 KB, 926x576
>>47461585
What about this guy /tg/?
>Conducts horrible experiments on everyone for the sake of science
>Steals ancient secrets to further the Reich
>Is ultimately responsible for Nazi Victory
>A victory that leads to man being on the moon years earlier and establishing a colony there
>Taunts the PC how he created so much and how you are the villains for destroying it all.
>>
>>47464220
As a Doomfag, I approve
>>
>>47464620
>hasn't read the silmarillion
Sauron had well established motivations for his actions at each stage of his being. As a maiar of Aule, he had a strong inclination towards order, hierarchy, and industry. Melkor corrupted him into his service by showing him the chaotic effects the other Valar and the works of men and elves brought into the world, and reasoned with him that a strong master was needed to take control of creation and bring stability, which appealed greatly to Sauron's orderly mindset. The havoc Melkor himself wrought was explained away as a necessary evil to clear away those who opposed, while the majority would ultimately be brought to heel.

By the time Morgoth fell, Sauron was entirely dedicated to bringing all of middle earth under a single dominion so that he could enact his vision of order, his methods colored by his accumulated hatred for the elves and races of men who had continually scorned and opposed him and his master.

Sauron wasn't evil "just because." He was evil because his grand vision of a perfectly ordered world had been repeatedly smashed apart and destroyed.
>>
>>47464942
In short, he was hitler?
>>
>>47464278
true god tier (herr starr level)
>>
>>47461858
He's a good villain because he's a loathsome cunt who it is very satisfying to defeat.
>>
>>47461671
If comics are the only media you consume then they really shove this shit down your throat. Comics are fine but they (especially, but not limited to, Big 2 cape comics) are the equivalent to candy. Fun, but you've gotta have something more.
>>
>>47465031
Nah. At the start, Sauron wanted everybody to accept Morgoth's rule willingly, or at least be brought under it. He didn't want to just off everybody because then he would have less to rule and build with.

It was only later on that he became more interested in controlling the world than ruling the people in it. By that point he was so far gone into his methods and so full of hate from his defeats that he would just as soon kill everyone but his own followers as try to establish control over them. His logic was something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how many subjects I have as long as there are no dissenters."
>>
>>47464278
OPhere
I've always wanted to do a villain like this
One who tries to suppress thoughts that he should turn good, for the sake of greed. The same way a paladin suppresses thoughts that he should fall, for the sake of a cause.

That is some odd grammar I just used but I don't feel like re-writing it.
>>
>>47464511
*tipping leads to further tipping*
*the tipening is upon us*
>>
>>47464942
If you're willing to bring the simarilion into things, then Morgoth is the true big bad, and his motivation is basically just "muh jealosy".
>>
>>47462869
>Republicans are evil meme
>>
>>47464777
Sounds like a hero.
>>
>>47464777
The Nazi's have destroyed as much as they created, and then some. Remember that they're literally just walking through Africa shooting every black person they see, and the reason the Kraisau circle is filled with art is because the Nazi's would have destroyed it all if they got their hands on it.
>>
>>47465413
>the Republican party isn't pure retards meme
>shitposting about politics meme
>>
>>47465399
He's a tragic character anon.

Doomed out of all the creator's children to be a free and individualistic being. His one desire to be his own master and creator was the birth of "discord" in the great harmony of creation.

From there Evil was born, and as the creator of it, he became the very entity of evil.
>>
>>47465468
>Democrats are so smart and tolerant.
>Ignores the New Slavery of men, aka Welfare.

Come on lad, we can banter all day.

Let's focus on fictional villains alright?
>>
>>47461585
My favorite villains have always been the mid tier on that list.
Tyranids, the Thing, Lavos, The Abyss.

Where the 'villain' is not evil, is not malevolent, it's just a creature that is trying to survive, it's just unfortunate that as far as it is concerned we are but cows/ants/gnats to be consumed, destroyed, or ignored.

It does not care nor does it feel for you, it just is.

That said, I find them a pain to use in any kind of campaign, since they tend to make everything super serious and on a timer.
>>
>>47461585
I really liked the 2-D aliens from that one episode of Doctor Who.
For the whole episode the Doctor insists that they don't understand human life and only kill in ignorance, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Then it turns out they actually do know that they are killing people but do it anyway because they are cunts.
>>
>>47461881
>I don't even feel sorry about the inevitable leak and war from Rorschach's journal. Oxymandias has the blood of millions on his hands, and the peace won is built on a lie
Better all of humanity die knowing the truth?
>>
>>47465615
If the truth hurts, then the pain is good. If the truth kills, you deserve to die. The alternative is merely stockpiling pain and death until there's too much to ignore.

If you don't like the truth, work to change it, don't hide it. Make something better be true instead of pretending what's true isn't.
>>
>>47462972

Watchmaker scene is as good as it gets, and the only time any film has ever legitimately used a Phillip Glass track.
>>
>>47465472
Alright, I hate to shift goalposts, but you must concede at the very least that Sauron, purely in the LotR trilogy, is about as fleshed out, human, and interesting as an inexplicably diabolical rock.
>>
>>47461881
>It's a funny story that puts the most sympathy on the psychopath.

Even funnier when you find out that Moore didn't want ANYONE to like that character. Which is funny, because he made him so fucking sympathetic.
>>
>>47465991
Sure, but that's because LOTR is three chapters cut out the middle of a larger book. Of course it's going to botch characterizing him; his intro was three hundred pages earlier.
>>
>>47463628
Not that anon, but I would love a webcomic of this exactly. Imagine some wizard-level virgin trex just trying to get some, but he can't keep the spaghetti in his pockets because his arms are too short, then his race dies out. I'd laugh my ass off if it wasn't so real.
>>
>>47462588

I wouldn't say extremely seeing as how Old Man Logan is in 616 now. It's canon in terms of the whole multiverse, but mutants being a phenomenon might be exclusive to old man logans universe.
>>
>>47461881
The journal belonged to a known mad man and is being published by a known tabloid rag.
Who will believe it?
>>
>>47462427

I mean, there is the idea that in war you must be use brutality as possible if you truly want peace, because brutality ends wars quickly. So it's not like your antagonist would be alone in this regard.
>>
>>47461919
He did nothing to bring change to the political systems. All he did was kill millions and blame aliens/Manhatten.
Give it a few years and everyone will be right back at eachother's throats all over again, figuring that whatever the genocidal event was, no further action happening means it's likely over.
>>
>>47462839
>>47462809
You're both wrong. The slingshot just drove It away. It didn't die until Bill stuck his hands inside It and crushed It's heart.
>>
File: watchmen.jpg (331 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
331 KB, 1920x1080
>>47462202
>>47462830
>>47465388
>>47462910

Hrm.
>>
>>47462389
You say that until they come for you.

Honestly that Magneto would even turn full Nazi after being subject to them is the height of shit writing.
>>
>>47466240

Does It show up in any other stories after his own? Or did he die for good?
>>
>>47466294
I think the Turtle might have eaten It. Been a while since I've read the book, though.
>>
>>47466222
Despite the trips I doubt you are smarter then the Worlds Smartest Man
>>
>>47461671
nah, /co/ generally hates that list as much as everyone else. It's used exclusively to troll now.
>>
>>47465932
>humanity deserves to die
>Moral High Ground!

It's not like a nuclear apocalypse is the Blade of Truth striking us down. War is always based on lies, and peace based on lies is an improvement.
>>
>>47465150

Starts off as someone zealously trying to bring order to the world, and then just says fuck it after losing a hand, his cock, and having his head become shaped like a dick?
>>
>>47461681
/thread
>>
File: jack.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Good villain: Has a goal, has a goal that is arguable a beneficial one, does incredibly bad things to accomplish goal
But there's nothing wrong with a villain that is just scum through and through and you can't help but to hate him/her and fantasize about his/her downfall
>>
>>47466457
What is Jacks deal?
I've heard people talk about him like he has depth.
>>
>>47465932
Nigga you have fun burning to death, I'll take life any day.
>>
>>47463677

Everyone look at this dumbass, Pennywise the fucking Clown was too deep for him to understand.

IT is basically a walking talking metaphor for fear, He only has power over you because you think he does. That isn't very complicated, and it was obvious from early on, and was the entire point of the movie. But apparently King was over-reaching and should have just written a generic creepy clown ghost.
>>
>>47466473
In the game you end up killing his daughter in front of him while she begs for death and her last words are calling him an asshole. So there's that.
But he's superbly hate-able. He's just so totally a bastard and deserves everything that happens to him that even after making him watch his daughter die he's not sympathetic in the least.
>>
>>47466511
>He only has power over you because you think he does
Well, that and because she's a hideous eldritch horror who can manipulate reality and influence the weak-minded at will.
>>
>>47466545
Wait, which game do you do that in? Borderlands 2? The Pre-sequel?
>>
>>47466588
that was BL2, that was like a pretty pivotal scene in the game yo
>>
>>47461585
It revealed in Skyward Sword that Ganondorf is acting on his nature, though not to survive. And in more than one game he (or ganon) are acting on a perceived wrong doing. Not that I think he's great or anything.
>>
>>47464942

Don't forget Sauron's love for Melkor. I think JRR said in one of his essays that Melkor loved and respected no one, and that Sauron loved and respected no one but Melkor.

>>47465399

I think Sauron is more interesting than Melkor but Melkor is still pretty cool.

>>47464620
>if you really want people to take your story seriously

Oh jeez.
>>
>>47461585
If it's a good example, it's not that their dark and brooding past excuses their actions, it just gives them context.
>>
>>47466613
The farthest I got was arriving at sanctuary and meeting scooter.
>>
>>47461585

Stories where the bad guy is openly evil and turns out to be just as evil as you thought aren't really inspired by real life, they are inspired by the stories that humans have always told each other, in order to trick each other into going to war and doing other stupid shit.
>>
>>47461585
Elder god tier makes for a shit villain.
>>
>>47461585
>Villain is aware of the "something worse" coming
>Is doing evil shit not to prepare the world or stop the evil thing (he considers those options too unlikely), but to make himself powerful enough to survive the arrival of the something-worse

what tier
>>
>>47466756

No they don't. Your shit politics are keeping you from enjoying a good story.

Sauron and Ozymandias are both good characters, and they are both perfect antagonists for their respective stories, which are both good stories. And they both have people in real life who are just like them.

>Sauron is a shit villain!

No, it's just that the story implies that some people actually are evil, and that offends you.

>Ozymandias is a shit villain!

No, it's just that the story implies that a person can do something you find morally reprehensible and still end up serving your own ideals better than you do (especially when they're smarter than you), and that offends you.
>>
File: Beyond The Stars.jpg (92 KB, 736x1177) Image search: [Google]
Beyond The Stars.jpg
92 KB, 736x1177
>Darkness descends upon your world, yet you fight. You lash out at shadows as if your weapons of metal and magic can banish them.
>You fear the unknown, as is natural- but there is sublime beauty in what I have become. What you can join, if you open your mind to the realms beyond.
>A lifetime of suffering is but a fleeting instant pain compared to the glimpse of eternity that I offer. All agony- temporary, then gone forever.
>But you are set against me.
>You cannot see... Not yet.
>>
>irenicus is just retaliating for his misdeeds!

he tried to eat the tree that grants elven longevity and lost his soul for being a murderous evil fuck

his writing was sub par at best, his VA's delivery is the only reason he's good at all.

I have no idea why the Archdemon is in any way shape or form even considered a villain. The archdemons from Dragon Age are ancient godlike dragons who have been corrupted into an evil monster which heralds an apocalyptic event. They are literally a force of nature. Trees wither. Crops fail. Women miscarry. The sound become unstable, the unstable become insane. It is an event that leaves entire nations devastated and could easily be classified as extinction events. Whoever made this list is a faggot.
>>
>>47466932

I don't think there's a clear line between "silent or mindless villain" and "man vs. nature story", but if there was then you would be on the wrong side of it. Your semantics are not strong.
>>
>>47465932
There is no objective moral superiority to the truth rather than lies. If the truth would lead to more suffering both short and long term than a pleasant lie, then I am reasonably sure that the lie is better than the truth in that specific situation.
>>
>>47461585
>And God forbid
>They were trying to prepare the world for something worse then them

This is my favorite villain motivation desu.
>>
>>47467071

>objective moral superiority

That's a contradiction in terms. It's a non-concept.

What you mean to say is that you personally do not place any intrinsic value in the truth.
>>
>>47466875
Nah if their cause are better than the heroes, don't call them a villain.
>>
>>47466278
It makes him a shit person (and very human), but it's utterly realistic.
>>
>>47467303

Saying they're not a villain is completely different from saying they're a bad villain.
>>
>>47465495
>welfare is slavery

Good meme

Though I would agree, welfare is shit compared to guaranteed minimum income.
>>
>>47462497
Mutants were also created by the Celestials fucking with human genetics around 3000 b.c. just to see what would happen. It's got nothing to do with evolution.
>>
>>47462471
Still just a step. The whole X-gene shtick is sorta silly anyway and was done at a time when genetics(!) was hitting the media.

neither side is right, neither side is "better" both just exist to breed and spread their genetic code.

Besides that, both sides have done horrible, horrible things to each other and themselves.

In my eyes neither is worthy of inheriting the earth.

#DrDoom4life
>>
>>47465495

New Slavery?

I am very, very confused.
>>
>>47462576
Sharks haven't meaningfully changed in 300 million years. They haven't NEEDED to. Does that make every change to everything else since then superfluous?

No. You're just a faggot who doesn't understand what he's saying.
>>
>>47467352

When some members of a species pass on their genes and others do not, that's evolution. The future belongs only to the survivors, that's a major theme in X-men.
>>
>>47461585

>Ozymandias ISN'T a reluctant villain only doing evil things because of the situation they find themselves in?

he kills those people because superheroes and Doctor Manhattan progressed the cold war closer to MAD. He does terrible things ENTIRELY because of the shitty situation he is in and has shown to at least partially regret it.
>>
>>47467341
You and ever other Marxist on Earth will soon be slaughtered.
>>
>>47467400

People always say he saved the world from nuclear apocalypse but I still think he just saved the world from Dr Manhattan.
>>
>>47467136
>What you mean to say is that you personally do not place any intrinsic value in the truth
That is not what he said. He said that general well-being in both short and long term trumps over it, especially in existential crisis.
>>
>>47467426
"No objective moral superiority to the truth". Okay, I read t"moral superiority" as "moral value", but he could just be saying that truth isn't superior, i.e. truth might still have some value just not as much as life.

I mainly just meant to say that objective was the wrong word and I think he meant "intrinsic".

(He or she)
>>
>>47467414

Yea, along with the rest of the humans and a lot of other species.
>>
>>47466932
The Archdeamon isn't the antagonist from Dragon Age, Logane is, and Logane has some serious justification for what he dose.

As you pointed out, the archdeamon isn't really a villain, it's more like a storm. It's a conflict to overcome and a giant goddamn dragon, but it doesn't think or reason. I don't think you can really call it 'evil' even.
>>
>>47466278
The division presented in X-Men is nothing like real world. But anyway, the world can only be stable if mutants ruled humans as benevolent masters. Humans are currently on the top by accident and are forced to take dire measures just to keep their superiors to rise to their rightful place.

Magneto might be a bit excessive, but half-assed moderates and appeasers like Xavier are the ones perpetuating cycle of violence.

Race war would be condensed violence, but it would be short and when it is over, there will be results. Current state generates more violence in the name of status quo ultimately acheiving nothing.
>>
>>47467521
>actually believes in global warming
>>
>>47466104

He took Steve Ditko's Question that he already thought was stupid, dialed him up to 11 and made him a crazy homeless man.

He thought because HE didn't like him, no one would.
>>
>>47467557
>I'm terrible at logic

Mutants aren't a race. They don't breed true or stable, and two people with an active x gene don't have anything alike.

Mutants that have advantages appropriate to leadership are good candidates for leadership, but mutants in general have no more right or reason to be in control then anyone else. Most mutants have no useful powers.
>>
>>47467588
Fair enough, mutants aren't really a race in the same way Whites or Blacks are. But that's not my point. Although isn't mutation mostly hereiary? It is, after all, caused by X-gene or something.

Many mutants have superior firepowers. Some are useless, but that's not the point. Way superior, how can normies even compete. They are not better qualified, but they are powerful enough to eventually take power and can only be held back temporarily by insane draconian measures. Humans loathe and fear them for good reason and this reason will never go away. The only way to restore peace is to let this reason be fulfiled.
>>
>>47466183
One could argue that Oxymandias would try to silence any sort of truth, but that suppression would only cause more people to question the actual story.

And even if Oxymandias ignores it, I believe Nite Owl would begin freaking out. The strength of the journal is that no one even knows it exists until the tabloid publishes it. Oxymandias certainly didn't plan for this.

Then again, such scenarios are only testable in our imaginations.
>>
>>47464620
Pretension will never actually be a good replacement for understanding.
>>
>>47467499
I'd say building something on lies is building on shifting sands. Eventually it will come crashing on your head no matter how good it started.
>>
>>47467621

>Hmm...everyone hates and fears that we may use our powers for evil
>Let's solve this problem by using our powers for evil.

People are not just going to roll over and accept 'Mutants are superior, they will get to rule you'.

That and it's been pretty easily proven that non-mutatns can match mutants with tech. Mutant abilities very rarely get improved with tech. Chamber in an Iron Man suit isn't really going to be much better than Human in an Iron Man suit. He'll just be ironman with a worse jawline.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (52 KB, 381x582) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
52 KB, 381x582
>>47465388
Wrong hat
>>
>>47467746
>>Hmm...everyone hates and fears that we may use our powers for evil
>>Let's solve this problem by using our powers for evil.
Indeed. I believe that they should get it over with.
>>
>>47467563

I do believe in global warming, it looks difficult not to, but I wasn't talking about global warming, global warming isn't a human extinction event. Ecological collapse from other factors like ocean acidification is a human extinction event. Ozone depletion is a human extinction event. Germ war and nuclear war are human extinction events. The thing is we can magically solve all of those problems and the way humans work is that in 100 years culture might change and bring all of them back. Human extinction is inevitable in the relatively near future, I personally believe that the information age is very dangerous to tyranny and that if the spirit of heroism catches on then we might see a world wide French revolution and a populist golden age that last several generations. But I don't think anyone will be around in 2500 even in the best case.
>>
>>47466875
Ozzy is a dolt though as his peace is a false one only to be shattered by the journal. All the death and destruction he has caused will be for nothing.
>>
>>47467798
The French Revolution devolved into the Reign of Terror, killing countless innocent people.

Probably not the best analogy.
>>
>>47461670

It originally was a desire for order that drove Sauron. He joined with Melkor as that seemed like the best path for changing the universe.
>>
>>47467798
>Human extinction is inevitable in the relatively near future
Funny. The guys who wrote the Bible were saying the same thing all those thousands of years ago.
>>
>>47467742
Pretty much this
>>
>>47467852
apcalyptica is an incredibly dense genre.

Look at the apocalyptic cults in the 20th century alone, almost every year has been declared an apocalypse.

And that's just the global level, that doesn't count people determining Ebola to be the end of Africa, Crimnea to be the start of WWIII, Immigrants to be the end of europe, Iran to be the end of America etc.
>>
>>47467541
Loghain was literally just pissed off that Cailan was going to make nice with the Orlesians so he basically let a Blight start out of his own nationalist bullshit crybaby attitude

Not saying he's a bad character or anything but he's not exactly filled with deep motivation
>>
>>47467852
You mean that one book at the very end penned by one guy? Yeah he didn't really give a date to that.

>>47467822
Bit of a mixed bag with that one, for every step forward there was a step back. The King wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and his queen was from a very hated country although she was not as vain nor as stupid as everyone thinks. Never mind the fact that the tax system was a complete mess and almost no one under the nobles had rights.
>>
>>47467742

Building it on truth is even shiftier. Belief is the shifting sand, and no, I don't think people are particularly good at finding or recognizing the truth.
>>
>>47467867
Well, yeah. He wasn't a crybaby, but he was a nationalist. He feared for his nation's independence that they just recently took from Orlais.

His only real mistake was overestimating his ability to contain blight on his own and not taking "Only Grey Wardens can defeat blight" for a fact it was.
>>
>>47467867
The king was going to not marry his daughter in favor for the Orlesian Empresses to broker a firm peace. However that would mean that the heir would have control over both countries and thus basically make the last war a moot point.

Also the Blight had already started at that point and we don't know if the king's attack plan would have worked to be honest.
>>
>>47467852

I know, but the dudes in the Bible were talking about make-believe. This is before people could really tell the difference.

Nuclear weapons aren't make-believe. There really are humans who have the power to end all life on earth by pushing a button, and if they don't push that button then they will eventually die and the button will be inherited by new humans who might push the button.
>>
>>47467810

Holy shit dude do you realize that you are talking exactly like a campy supervillain? You even have a circular argument that motivates you to root for the end of the world. I'm not even mad, this is awesome.
>>
>>47462775
>voldemort wants wizzads to rule mugles and be huge dicks about. Muggles that masively outnumber them and have guns. Vokdemort forgot about their most important tradition: hiding from muggles.
>>
>>47468033
Wizards might lose in terms of fire rate and maybe accuracy (Not clear, since fictional characters dodge bullets just as easy) but they have so much logistic advantage, comouflage and ability to control global battlefield, it's not even funny. To think muggles can win is to think roman legions can beat modern militiary because modern military isn't good at swordfighting.

Wizards are hiding because they don't want to have to exterminate and enslave muggles not because they are themselves weak.
>>
>>47465973
Do you have something against Koyaanisqatsi?
>>
>>47468023
Oh bitch please that isn't camp, I didn't even laugh at any point nor did I say my name in CAPITAL LETTERS!

I am just pointing out the fact that his plans, laid out as they were, are going to be easily broken like he ego when the journal is discovered as it is implied at the end of the book. Also I am not rotting for the end of anything, are you sure you are talking to the right anon?
>>
>>47468078
I am not so sure about that one, after all the wizards by in large seem to not understand technology or even basic stuff like stitches. In the later books I believe Ron's dad gets bit by something magical and no magic can close it back up so the wizard doctor uses stitches and Ron's mother, a full blood wizard, sees this as insane.
>>
>>47468129
I don't see what point are you trying to make by this tale (I admit I didn't read past fifth book or so, but I believe you that it happened)

But magic blocking magical healing is not something they have to deal with muggles. They don't need stitches because they have perfect healing spells that can quickly fix any physical wound.
>>
>>47468113

Yea, my bad, an anon earlier implied that nuclear apocalypse was acceptable because "if the truth kills you then you deserve to die", I put that together with your post.
>>
>>47468129

Oh yea, the average wizard doesn't understand the muggle world at all, a muggle who understands wizards would be extremely dangerous to the average wizard who doesn't understand muggles. Even wizards who study muggles don't understand us as well as you would expect (I have a feeling that the changes in the muggle world in the last 150 years sort of took the wizard world offguard, the wizard world moves very slowly).

By and large, though, I think it would only take a fragment of the wizard population to kill and enslave every human. Maybe I'm overestimating their ability to work in bulk but we at least know that they can teleport around brainwashing world leaders like it's nothing.
>>
>>47464278
What you've got there is a PC
>>
File: Darkseid is.jpg (429 KB, 842x1526) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid is.jpg
429 KB, 842x1526
That tier is stupid, even what it defines as shit tier can be amazing with a good enough writer.
>>
File: 1417754621298.jpg (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1417754621298.jpg
17 KB, 200x200
Good villains have flaws that they fail to fix and ultimately those flaws plants the seeds of their downfall. The more it relates to something the hero is succeeding at moving through, the better.
>>
>>47464220
>>47464903

So is he *actually* seeing these multiple outcomes? They are a certainty? Or can he just not imagine a scenario in which he is not the savior of humanity?
>>
>>47468544
He truly genuinely sees humanity destroyed in all futures where he is not ruler. Though, personally i think someone or something is giving him false visions/hiding possible alternatives from him (whether it is his own megalomania or an outside force).
>>
>>47467822
[insert omelet and breking eggs analogy]
>>
this thread was great until the marxists came in
>>
>>47467822
>The ever memorable and blessed revolution, which swept a thousand years of villainy away in one swift tidal wave of blood — one: a settlement of that hoary debt in the proportion of half a drop of blood for each hogshead of it that had been pressed by slow tortures out of that people in the weary stretch of ten centuries of wrong and shame and misery the like of which was not to be mated but in hell."
"If we really think about it, there were two Reigns of Terror; in one people were murdered in hot and passionate violence; in the other they died because people were heartless and did not care. One Reign of Terror lasted a few months; the other had lasted for a thousand years; one killed a thousand people, the other killed a hundred million people. However, we only feel horror at the French Revolution's Reign of Terror. But how bad is a quick execution, if you compare it to the slow misery of living and dying with hunger, cold, insult, cruelty and heartbreak? A city cemetery is big enough to contain all the bodies from that short Reign of Terror, but the whole country of France isn't big enough to hold the bodies from the other terror. We are taught to think of that short Terror as a truly dreadful thing that should never have happened: but none of us are taught to recognize the other terror as the real terror and to feel pity for those people.
>>
>>47466219

You are a gigantic faggot. Go read your Von Clausewitz and then come back. The best and as yet unbeaten master of military theory once had this view ("war is an act of force to compel the enemy to do our will") and then realised it was foolish. Hence his other immortal quote "war is politics by other means" and more often than not, the greatest victories are won by knowing when to broker peace as much as when to prosecute war.

Consider the following: If you are horrifically brutal, you may quite possibly win, but that is no guarantee, your enemy might be strong, or smart or wiley. In fact because they are fighting for their life they will probably be all three. If you commit atrocities, they will quite possibly come back to bite you and your population. Equally, the maximum exertion required to completely subdue and annihilate an opponent might cost you millions of lives and your economic output for decades. It is quite possible to win the war, lose the peace and then suffer years of internal turmoil where you are picked apart by your weaker opponents (see France post the US war of independence).

A smarter man (i.e. not a massive edgy faggot) would shock the enemy into submission quickly and carefully and broker a favourable peace. OR better yet, never fire a shot and simply dominate them economically and culturally (see America).

The Nazi's were the edgiest of edgy faggots and there obsession with muh liebesraum and muh national socialist objectives cost them the war.

Had they actually gone for the jugular, knocked out Moscow, liberated the slavs and employed women in manufacture they might have even won. We might have even helped them had they actually been sane! But no Hitler was a fag and the world's worst tactician and strategist and was a Nazi, which meant he was defective by default. Want a smart German 'villain' go look at Otto Von Bismark.

TL;DR - Edgelords are failures
>>
>>47469139
I dunno about you, Germany is better now than ever before and they're about to do the nazi thing again. Seems like it just works.
>>
>>47467921
To be fair, if Fereldan and Orlease were united it would mostly be Fereldan being absorbed by the empire. Smaller population and weaker nation in general and all that.

>>47467867

DA:O suggest Lohain honestly did think that Cailan was over-extended and the late signal at Ostagar put the king and Gray Wardens beyond saving..

But he's also prepared quite a bit to take over the country and was, frankly, happy that the Gray Wardens and Cailan was dead. And a gigantic dick when he realized some wardens had survived. And working with straight up evil fucks like Rendon Howe.
>>
>>47467621
>how can normies even compete

Power armor. Shooting them in the face. Shooting them in the face while wearing power armor. Giant robots. Norse Gods. Massively outnumbering them. Mind controlled mutant weapons. Just giving mutants money to police other mutants.

Mutants aren't united either. There's a handful that would support mutants taking over the world, but just as many or more support and are loyal to the nations they were born in.
>>
>>47469182
Plus the vast majority of mutants just want to be left alone. The Xmen and the Brotherhood are very small groups, and in no way represent the entirety of mutantkind.
>>
>>47462525
>>47462626
Just a note, Mahvel mutants pretty much are better adapted to their environment. They've saved the Earth from destruction by superpowered menaces that normal dudes would be powerless before, and, weirdly enough, they're immune to a lot of diseases and infections that can kill normal humans.

The major downsides to mutation are the competition of the more numerous baseline humans and pic related, which is kinda something that should be ignored, because it was a huge fuckup on the part of the writer.
>>
>>47469198
They will never be left alone. They will always be feared. Being left alone never really works.
>>
>>47469164

Germany WAS on-top-of-the-fucking-world before Merkle fudged the refugee issue. Both far left and right are always a symptom of things going shitty because when life goes wrong you reach out for someone to blame.

And when that person has indeed turned out to be a viper who has genuinely hurt you (refugees/rich-people/muslims) you are correspondingly pissed. BUT the government doesn't listen to you because they don't care and they don't want to care.

Merkle had all of europe by the balls who had to toe the German economic line. It was a european domination of such beauty Bismark would have shed a single manly tear. Then she ruined it which is sad.

The best and greatest empires are always the ones where you don't take money and goods and power but when people give it to willingly and freely.

The second great triumph of the west, that will decimate our foes (if we survive) is going to be the environment and green tech. You will be able to breath in our cities, drink from our rivers and walk in pristine environments. Limitless clean power that puts no strain on our world! It will make the industrial revolution look feeble and (once again) people will be fucking begging to be ruled by the benevolent western powers once more.
>>
>>47467588
>They don't breed true or stable

They do, actually.

Kids of mutants are always mutants, and they always get powers related to their parents' powers. Cyclops and Jean's kid is a super OP telekinetic, Cyclops and Emma Frost's (dude gets around) kid has a combination of his optic blast powers and her ability to transform herself into diamond. Nightcrawler's kid has his agility and aspects of his appearance, and a mobility power. Etc etc etc.
>>
>>47462525
>You can't really say 'X is more evolved than Y' when talking about stuff.
hahaha very witty cunt
>>
>>47469242
>Kids of mutants are always mutants

Not always. Graydon Creed's parents(Sabretooth and Mystique)were both mutants, and he's a baseline human. Or rather, he was, he's a self aware robot last I checked.
>>
>>47469255
...How the fuck did Mystique give birth to a robot?

Did she shapeshift into a toaster and pop him out or some shit?

Actually, now that I think of it, can she even shapeshift while preggers? That seems like it might be bad.
>>
>>47461585
Where's Legacy of Kain's Kain on that list?
He started out as Great Tier Villain, turned to a shit tier Villain, and later became a Hero?
>>
>>47469268
Read my post again. He didn't start out as a robot, that came later.
>>
>>47468544
He's seen ten thousand futures oit of literally infinite possibilities.

The fact he hasn't seen one out of ten thousand does not mean it is impossible just that he personally hasn't seen one

Given the fact he's using magic I wouldn't be surprised if his personal beliefs PERCENT him from seeing the haply futures that he's not in, given that realizing there are untold trillions^1000000 world's where he's completely unnecessary and perhaps even a detriment to utopia
>>
>>47469282
prevent. Damn autocorrect
>>
Forgive me for being an /a/rse. I'm currently making a villain based on Lelouch's (from Code Geass) ideology. How shit is it?
>>
>>47469279
Oh, sure, I'm sure it was a retcon.

That still sorta poses the question of how the fuck someone tricked Mystique into thinking she was pregnant. Or replaced her baby with a robot? This all sounds incredibly retarded.
>>
File: Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.jpg (24 KB, 550x416) Image search: [Google]
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.jpg
24 KB, 550x416
> ctrl f
> no Harkonnen

Do you even Kanly?
>>
>>47469302
Spurned princes who want to end the fuck out of their families for some slight are tried and tested villains (and heroes, too). Nothing shit about them.
>>
>>47469312
What about the stuff about uniting the world via force, and creating a totalitarian government?

I'm in a triumvirate of GMs planning the next great plot of our universe, and we're bringing back an old PC (of mine, before I became a GM) who did some... questionable acts in the name of the Greater Good. It's been 10 years since they did the act, failed, and went into hiding, and in that time they've been brooding quite a lot, and are now solely focused on removing arbitrary borders. In a world where there's been three alien invasions which threatened to wipe humanity away, and extradimensional horrors that constantly lurk around the corner, this isn't a bad motive.
>>
>>47462388
>this stupid argument again
Oh fuck off.
We don't live in a universe in which Nixon was president five times in a row or in which superheros exist
>>
>>47469306
Not a retcon, it happened later in the character's life.
>>
>>47468078
Who do you think's going to win, white phosphorus or wizards?
>>
Rate my villain concept /tg/
>Part of a engineering team centuries ago that designed magical contraptions, a powerful wizard
>Brilliant but antisocial, yet resented others from "taking" his spotlight
>Manages to design a "Reconstructor Chamber" that changes any occupant's appearance, age, memories and personality to whatever the operator wants
>In addition, designs a machine that can raise the dead from a remote location- to study the effects of necromancy, of course
>Rest of team argues the morality of creating such devices, and moves to shut him down
>Lashes out at them, accidentally killing one during his tantrum. Realizes what he did, and kills the rest ("Might as well")
>He has been plaguing the world with undead armies for years, occasionally altering his appearance with his Reconstructor to enter the world discreetly, to commit all kinds of debauchery
>With the Reconstructor, he has gone completely off the deep end, his plan is to use it once cornered by heroes, and cast a teleport spell in order to essentially escape justice- since he can alter his mind he also won't have to suffer any self-doubt or regrets
>Spends his free time engaging in every depraved act of murder and sensation he has time for
>The PCs have to find out where the undead originate from, and enter his fortress to dismantle his devices before the world is overrun with undead
tl;dr Sims player goes nuts, finds a Raise Undead cheat code
>>
>>47466104
I think that shows a strength of writing that despite hating the character and wanting to make a character people would hate, he didn't simply make Ror a strawman, I can respect that.
>>
>>47469389
Wasn't it said that wizards made themselves immune to fire and burnt themselves at stakes for fun in medieval times?

Also, white phosphorus to where? How exactly will muggles bomb Diagon Alley or some other shit?
>>
>>47461585
>That pic

Bullshit. Real elder god tier, or a tier of it's own above that, is villains who do it for money. There's no better motivation than doing it to get rich/richer.
>>
>>47469407
Presumably they have time to prepare for and cast the fire protecting spell when they're being burned at a stake, you don't have that privilege when the british army decides to call in danger close.

Also, I believe we were talking about full on war between the wizards and the muggles, otherwise it's even worse, because Muggle terrorists are incredibly more dangerous than wizard ones
>>
>>47464220
DOOM is not a villain. Hes a good guy whos painted as a villain because world domination is inherently a bad thing.
>>
File: panic_but_apathy.jpg (147 KB, 459x449) Image search: [Google]
panic_but_apathy.jpg
147 KB, 459x449
>>47467798
>believing in revolution
Marx was wrong in thinking that communism is a logical next step after capitalism. People are too hateful and greedy and petty for communism or any other "good" form of society.
If any kind of revolution is coming, it's a fascist one - and it's gonna make everything awful forever.
We are no better, no more enlightened than people in 30s and we're going to repeat it all.
After WW II things got better than they used to be, but I'm not sure if there will be anything left after WW III - that will happen in our lifetime if there is no miracle.
>>
>>47469449
>WW3
>Happening

Nope, just an endless parade of proxy wars. Nuclear powers don't go to war with each other.
>>
>>47469440
Sure, muggle bombs are nasty (Assuming they can reach their targets, I'm not really a HP expert, don't know how hard it is to pass through walls in train stations).

Now a wizard terrorist is a thing of awe. Although it wasn't really touched, I think they should have blasting spells and explosive potions. And what's more fun they can turn anyone into a suicide bomber or spree killer with a simple, if forbidden, spell.
>>
>>47469456
>don't know how hard it is to pass through walls in train stations).

We have these things called bunker busters, designed to penetrate buried reinforced concrete. We as a species have gotten very good at blowing shit up.
>>
>>47462878
>>47463125
>implying the situation in Watchmen wouldn't simply speed the collapse of the Soviet Union
Nixon or no Nixon, Vietnam turning into an Afghanistan-esque quagmire for them thanks to the Doc can only ruin them faster
>>
>>47469456
A human terrorist is still more dangerous.
I mean, I guess Voldemort or whoever can go on the subway and start casting Abra Kadavra, but he can still be stopped with a gun.

If ISIS thinks that wizards are spawn of satan and decides to crash an airplane into Hogwarts they're all fucked
>>
>>47469468
It wasn't tested on hyperspace locations. I suppose you can drop them on your own cities to get rid of pesky wizards. While we are at it, why not just turn Britain into nuclear wasteland. That's the only way to be sure.

Point is, targeting wizards is really hard.
>>
>>47469455
People in la belle epoque thought the same.
>>
>>47469488
That's again, assuming they know where it is.

My point was that wizards don't need to make attack by themselves. They can just mind control others.
>>
>>47469488
Except the plane wouldn't be able to find Hogwarts, and even if it did, it would drop out of the sky well before hitting it.

Ultimately, fighting the HP wizards would be futile. There'd be no fight if they didn't want it. All their shit is in some kind of no-space inaccessible to normal people.
>>
>>47469488
>teleport into nuclear silo
>mind control the people with the red buttons
>fire

Boom, you just started a nuclear war.
>>
>>47469455
This, as much as we like to believe, world leaders aren't stupid, they are often self interested, greedy, yes, and that means they don't want to spend their twilight years in a bunker under a mountain while a radioactive hellzone rests outside.

Juts proxy wars till the end of time.
>>
>>47469536
>>47469505
Can't teleport in an area you if you don't know what it looks like.

Not to mention that every new PM is briefed on wizards, so I'm guessing muggle authorities are prepared for these eventualities
>>
>>47469519
>it would drop out of the sky well before hitting it
>what is forward momentum and gliding
>>
>>47469593
Don't forget inertial guidance for the bomb.
>>
>>47469551
Scry (they can do that, right? I remember there being divination as a subject), teleport.

Honestly, just teleportation makes them far more dangerous as terrorists than ISIS or however. A wizard could teleport into the oval office, drop a bomb, and just teleport right out.
>>
>>47469593
To be honest, we don't know how far away its electronics would all short out. I imagine Hogwarts also has some kind of barrier around it to prevent this exact shit.
>>
>>47469605
You can read the future, but it's murky as shit and it's mostly allegories, so I don't know how they're going to see the room.

Not to mention that you can install anti teleport systems, which I'm sure the agency that deals with wizards has done in the oval office and Buckingham palace
>>
>>47462525

>You can't really say 'X is more evolved than Y' when talking about stuff.

except you can.

being born with 6 fingers is being more evolved than being born with 5 fingers, as having 6 fingers is a dominant trait, and eventually all humans will have 6 fingers.

It's further down the evolutionary line of humans, therefore it's more evolved.

Having blond hair isn't being more evolved, it's just being mutated in a different way, as blond hair is a non-dominant mutation that occurred in humans. That isn't more or less evolved, just different.
>>
>>47468814
What tier are marxists?
>>
>>47468163
I am pointing out that mundane tech like fucking stitches for a deep cut is something that they don't understand and if they don't understand that what about more complex things like I don't tear gas grenades and such.
>>47468242
This anon gets it. Yes they can be very difficult to tackle with their spells but I am sure that normal people can get the upper hand through tech.
>>
>>47466278
There's nothing wrong with empathising with the guy trying to kill you.

There's also nothing wrong with gutting that guy and mailing his body back to his leader with a polite note about how he should stop trying to kill you.

You can approve of people's legitimate grievances while still not liking their methodology.
>>
>>47462626

That is exactly how evolutionary science works,

When the aliens show up, and have their machines that make our guns stop working, guess who is going to survive? Those that can throw fire.
>>
>>47469704
>I am pointing out that mundane tech like fucking stitches for a deep cut is something that they don't understand
That's because it never occured to them that stiching and long healing is a viable substitute to wand gestue and a few words instantly healing any wound but some exotic cutting spell.
>>
>>47463628

were you there?

I know from first hand experience most dinosaurs are shit at cuddling
>>
>>47469139
Ah no, Hitler wanted to stroke his ego and concentrate on Stalingrad because it has Stalin's name on it. Also opening up a third front to the war was stupid when most of their airforce was knocked out in the battle of Britain. Nevermind the fact that by "liberate the slavs" you mean "Force them into death camps with the gays and the jews" because they saw the slavs as high tier animals.

Also Bismark was never a villain to begin with, he was just a german general.
>>
>>47469654
There's a meeting room in Whitehall somewhere where the PM meets with the Minister of/for Magic... but that very title tells you that it's the Wizard who is technically the junior - given there was no control over the PM during Voldemort's control over the Ministry it's fair to assume that some muggle protections have been set up

>>47469593
Considering Hogwarts is in Scotland, which has native dragons (the Hebridean Black ), I suspect they have at least a few anti-air defences, just in case
>>
>>47461585
Every villian is good as long as he/she/it is interesting and well written.
>>
>>47469692
Proletariat-tier
>>
>>47469734
Why would they not even know that off hand? Again that is basic first aid we are talking about here and even if they knew healing spells one would expect them to know how to patch themselves up if their wands ever broke.
>>
>>47469668
Six fingers are not necessarily inherently more advantageous than five.

Just because someone has more capability doesn't mean they are more dominant.

PROTIP: If there were a bunch of humans in cavemen times that were predisposed to live naturally for hundreds of years, those humans would probably have died out faster because they would have had to feed useless old people instead of feeding useful young people. Yet you would instinctively say "people living longer would be more evolved".

Bullshit. Only the genes that makes you survive more makes you "more evolved".

In a setting where having lightning powers means people shoot you in the face? That's not an evolutionary advantage.
>>
>>47469775

>Bullshit. Only the genes that makes you survive more makes you "more evolved".

>In a setting where having lightning powers means people shoot you in the face? That's not an evolutionary advantage.

Shooting lighting can make you survive more, just don't do it in ways that would get you killed.
>>
>>47469717
Incorrect the ones who make the best alien cocksleeves will be the ones who survive, and so evolutionarily speaking the submissive sluts and sissy fuckbois are the most evolved.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.