[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ board game general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
Triggering normies edition
Old thread: >>47245585
>what games are you looking forward to
>what player archetypes compose your regular group
>how many games is too many
>>
>>>what games are you looking forward to

The games I backed, so Scythe and Conan, though I want to get a hold of Liberty or Death that I believe is having a reprint. Anyone know of a good way to get non-Twilight Struggle GMT games in the UK?

I'm at a very low point in my life at the moment, so just my brother.

I've asked a similar question here before and find this interesting. I tend to spend much of my time reading about games and waiting for ones that really fulfill what I'm after and I anticipate many plays. It seems most avid board game folk have huge collections and I was astonished to see the recent Dicetower video was listing 7 or 8 plays as a lot. It makes me questoin the validity of reviewers. Instead of answering I wonder if people could say, in addition,

>how much they play their favourite/most active game?
>>
I've gotten out of the whole "cult of the new" bullshit, so the most hype I'll get is "Oh, that might be fun"
You know those two players who will go after each other for no apparent reason? Odds are, I'll be one of them
I'm getting close to 40 games, and that's pretty much my tipping point (some of them are tiny games like Love Letter, but still...)
>>
The one I'll actually get to play
moved because of work, moved because of work, dead, moved because got married, moved because got married, moved because got married, moved because lost job, moved because lost job, and alcoholic.
I'll never know
>>
>>47360050
Not looking for any recent releases in particular. Want Dungeon Petz.

Math wiz, over-aggro dude, mister clueless, game encyclopedia, "but losing is fun too!", euro-snob, zombie fan #1, graphic designer (aka "game looks boooring"), traitor and filthy casual 1-5.

Still finding out. 50 is not it, though I should get rid of some stuff that gets no plays.
>>
>>47360050
>>what games are you looking forward to
High Frontier
FUCK Ares Magazine.
>>what player archetypes compose your regular group
Gaming veteran from the 70's, game theorist, nearly habitual buyer and main supplier, casual preference gamer, Freemason drugrunner, two nerd girls, physics student, FLGS owner.
>>how many games is too many
All of them +1.
>>
>>47360050
That Pandemic Legacy picture even being there is silly.

Scythe I guess, and whenever Archaeology and Arboretum gets reprinted.

No idea, what archetypes exist other than That Guy?

When they don't get played within 6 months since the last play.
>>
File: CW_Banner1.jpg (245 KB, 1050x660) Image search: [Google]
CW_Banner1.jpg
245 KB, 1050x660

Finally got cthulhu wars. slightly used, but $100 sounds like a good price no?

I play a big meetup of people so N/A. A lot of them seem to be the reincarnation of some kind of professional poker players, newbies can never get a read on them.

No such thing altough my home is kinda getting packed with board games faster than expected. With multiple huge box games coming from kickstarter this year
>>
>>47362315
$100 is AMAZING for a complete Cthulhu Wras.
>>
>>47362231
>what archetypes exist other than That Guy
Going by the thread:
cutthroat
absent
alcoholic
>Math wiz, over-aggro dude, mister clueless, game encyclopedia, "but losing is fun too!", euro-snob, zombie fan #1, graphic designer (aka "game looks boooring"), traitor and filthy casual 1-5.
and
>Gaming veteran from the 70's, game theorist, nearly habitual buyer and main supplier, casual preference gamer, Freemason drugrunner, two nerd girls, physics student, FLGS owner.
>>
Bompf
>>
Just got Freedom, Dead of Winter, Five Tribes, and Waehammer ACG for my birthday. Plus I'm planning on picking up the rest of my collection that includes games I haven't played or haven't played often, like Shougn and Fief and 1775 and Rex. Just resurrected my local college board gaming group too.

Gonna be a busy month.
>>
>>47360050

Last Friday, sorta, I'm waiting for the reviews basically.
Big Trouble in Little China Legendary, again, sorta. Do I really need a nother deckbuilder ? I'm already going to get rid of Marvel... That theme tho...
Honestly I'm not really hyped for anything right now. Pretty content with my games
Like many anons here life's at a shitty point. I have two groups I currently see SEMI regularly,
one is : Coop-Gal, surprisingly-sneaky-Gal and sore loser. Although the two girls are fine, Coop-Gal's boyfriend is a gigantic douche who gets mad for no fucking reason.
Other group is just a couple I game with occasionally, they mostly like coops but aren't against the occasional competitive game but they have the tendency to ally themselves to crush me. Lovers.
I'm currently just short of 200 games and considering culling a bunch. Mostly a space issue. I'd say as long as you feel like playing the games and you have shelf space, keep on truckin'.
>>
What's the least stupid version of Munchkin?
>>
>>47367458
Probably some unreleased set that was too good to unleash to normal consumers
>>
>>47367458
The rumor is the Munchkin CCG is enjoyable to play and short enough, but then you run into the problem of it's a CCG.
>>
File: avp-the-hunt-begins-boardgame.jpg (139 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
avp-the-hunt-begins-boardgame.jpg
139 KB, 800x800
Has anyone played the AvP game? If you put aside the kickstarter disaster and the horrible licensing issues etc. is the game any good? It looks fairly decent and seems like a lot of ideas are crammed into the rule book.
>>
>>47371083

I own it but I'm yet to play it, the rulebook is kind of a mess.
>>
Has anyone played Spector Ops? What were your likes/dislikes and is it worth getting?
>>
>>47371775
>inb4 obligatory "lightning in a bottle or flat on its face, Fury of Dracula is probably better" STEEV answer.

I've lingered here too long...
>>
I have been playing the talisman digital edition it's really fun I imagine it's even more fun in real life.

Also doppelgangers are not fun
>>
Have any of you played Crossings or Epaminondas? An anon on /tg/ mentioned it a few days ago. They're two similar modern rules-light abstract strategy games that can be played with Go / weiqi equipment.
>>
Between Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, which one is stronger? I know they're both similar but I can only get one right now and I wanna know which is more enjoyable.
>>
File: Puppet+Wars+Unstitched.jpg (105 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Puppet+Wars+Unstitched.jpg
105 KB, 1000x667
>>47360050

>>what games are you looking forward to
Conan, The others, Endure the stars, Arcadia Quest inferno, Xenoshyft Dreadmire, Myth Journeyman (kek)

>>what player archetypes compose your regular group
The liar, the thick headed, the prodigy, the awkward

>>how many games is too many
I go by category. For example, I have thunderstone, nightfall, and the RE deckbuilder. I really don't want a 4th. I'd rather just replace what I've got before going too far past 3.

Also, as anyone tried pic related? Thoughts? I love wyrd's aesthetics in pretty much all their products, but PW aint cheap for something that would look neat but suck rulewise.
>>
>>47375355
By stronger I don't mean buff, I mean which one is the better game, especially for a group used to just diplomacy and some machiavelli. We wanna go on to the "next level"
>>
>>47371775

I've found that it's a game that's as good as its players. Either the agent or the hunters can quickly make rash decisions and poor plays, leading to the other side winning several rounds in. Or, each party can agonize over the potential moves their opponent might make/might have made. In the case of the hunters, playing effectively (against a competent agent) requires heavy discussion and analysis, leading to 10 minute rounds. I've had games end in 30 minutes playing against a reckless agent, and I've had a game last for 4 hours. Basically, your mileage may vary, and if you don't enjoy steamrolling other players and appreciate a challenge then the game is only as good as as much effort the other players are willing to put in.

It's quite simple mechanically, but the nature of the game requires both parties to fully understand all possible equipment cards and special abilities for the agent in order to play optimally, so expect your rules explanation to run quite long. If possible, include in this a breakdown of the official FAQ, which will probably take you 5 minutes, as the agent asking about niche cases mid-game could reveal information about their movement.

Overall, one of my favourite hidden movement games.
>>
>>47375031
it's what I call good podcast vidya: mute the sound, stick on a good podcast and play into the wee hours of the morn.
>>
>>47375031
Motherfucker that other Amazon stole my kill
>>
>>47377198
Thanks for your opinion, anon! Looking forward to trying it out now
>>
>>47376340
Here I Stand has more combat, Virgin Queen has more diplomacy, iirc.
Virgin Queen is also about $50 cheaper.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2 MB, 1366x1618) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2 MB, 1366x1618
>>
>>47383788
Why are GMT games so expensive? Small printing runs?
>>
>>47367458
I don't lurk here much. What's wrong with Munchkin?
>>
>>47385663
In this particular case the price of HIS is more due to the fact that it's out of print, so people wanting to sell it can set the price. Otherwise the price is the same as for VQ, and if you jump on the P500 for HIS now it's actually about $30 cheaper.
>>
>>47385755
After about 2 minutes of the first (and only) game you've seen everything it has to offer. Then you get to sit through who knows how long of tedious, desperately unfunny, poorly illustrated cardplay. Mercifully the game will finally end where someone will almost win (and get shot down) and then 2nd place will win because they got lucky.
>>
How much setup time is there for Mage Knight? I hate games with long setup times and fiddly mechanics like Eldritch Horror so I was wondering what MK would be like.
>>
>>47385887
I enjoy Kovalic's artwork, loved Dork Tower, so Munchkin is OK in the art department IMHO. Munchkin is fun depending on the crowd, you can play mediocre games and still have fun with some friends.
>>
>>47385887
Well its called Munchkin, so I'm under the impression that its for adolescents and children, who probably don't know much about strategy and tactics.

Good Intro for kids IMO, but not for adults.
>>
>>47386431
Except it's the last game children should be subjected to. Certainly for my children, they should be playing games which help teach them key skills and critical thinking.
>>
File: pic2997867.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
pic2997867.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>47360050
Falling Sky: Gallic Revolt Against Caesar (pic related) and 51st State: Master Set are both on preorder for me and showing up shortly. Can't wait to play a COIN game, and god damn does Falling Sky seem good. Who doesn't want to play as the invincible Romans fighting the unwashed Gallic hordes? And 51st State is gonna be great as well, I expect. A mean, aggressive, exponential engine builder with a race target. Mmm, yeah.

Eh, I usually go to open gaming groups so I play with so many people that I don't have a 'regular' group. Plus I don't enjoy putting people into buckets.

I've got 51 games on hand and another 28 preordered or Kickstarted, although 10 of those are tiny minigames. So far they all still get played, and I get a good library to rotate through with what I bring. I can see getting more to be problematic, though. I'm doing my best to slow down the rate of buying / KS'ing / preordering games, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference...
>>
>>47385755
Munchkin is fine... unfortunately, most gamers don't want to play something that's fine, when they could be playing something good or great. The main fault is that it's a humour game; specifically, the kind where once you read all the jokes, it's just not as funny.

Doesn't help that there are so many mash-ups between Munchkin and lots of good games e.g. Munchkin Gloom, Munchkin Panic, Loot Letter
>>
>>47385755
As this anon >>47385887 said - the game becomes very predictable (2nd place player wins better than 80% of the time) and very repetitious extremely quickly. The humor wears thin quickly (how many times do you find hearing the *exact same joke* funny?), and buying 'expansion' packs only prolongs the agony / delays the inevitable.

For the money, there are far better products on the market that will remain enjoyable and thus replayable for far longer than Munchkin will.
>>
>>47386094
It's on par with Eldritch Horror. Less shuffling of cards, but you have to stack and randomize a bunch of monster chits.

It's also a very long and involved game. I've never finished a game of Mage Knight without feeling exhausted by the end.
>>
>>47386094

Mage knight is FIDDLY as fuck. It's VERY fun, the mechanics are smart and challenging, but you'll be overwhelmed by all the moving parts.

I love it but it's definitely not for everybody. I have only played it twice in nearly 5 years to be quite honest.
>>
>>47386516
>Can't wait to play a COIN game, and god damn does Falling Sky seem good.
Yeah I'm beginning to think I might have to get Falling Sky as well. There's so damn many COIN games to choose from and/or wait for though:

Andean Abyss - 90's Colombia
Cuba Libre - Castro's revolution
A Distant Plain - the very recent Afghan conflict
Fire in the Lake - Vietnam war
Liberty or Death - American revolution
Falling Sky

Made the P500 cut:
Colonial Twilight - the French-Algerian war, 2-player
Pendragon - The Fall of Roman Britain

Unpublished prototypes:
Shattered Star - Somalian conflict
Thunder out of China - China-Japan wars 1937-1941
Iron Butterfly - Marcos era Phillipines, maybe 3-player
A Terrible Beauty - Irish war of independence 1918-1922
Another two unnamed prototypes, Angola 60s-70s and I think post-WW2 Yugoslavia

That's a total of fucking 8 confirmed games in the series, and given their reception I don't doubt the 6 games in development will have much trouble getting backed either. This series is a real win for GMT.

BUT WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET I CAN'T FUCKING DECIDE
>>
>>47388140
I used this to help me decide based on complexity since my group isn't into the heavier war games out there.
>https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/item/4588251
>>
>>47388308
>>
File: PAINTED BIGBOX.jpg (701 KB, 986x1960) Image search: [Google]
PAINTED BIGBOX.jpg
701 KB, 986x1960
>>47360050
>>
File: bigbix complete.jpg (951 KB, 1928x1428) Image search: [Google]
bigbix complete.jpg
951 KB, 1928x1428
>>47388349
>>
>>47388349
>>47388362
Neat.
>>
Any boardgame involving Napoleon that is worth playing?
>>
>>47388452
That's an odd fetish to have.
>>
>>47388140
For me Falling Sky is by far the standout of the crowd. I absolutely adore the time period, having studied Roman history in the past and actually having read an English translation of Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War, and on top of that Falling Sky is the second simplest COIN game to date. Only Cuba Libre is simpler, and Castro's revolution doesn't really speak to me.

The only real competitor for me is Pendragon, but I don't know nearly as much about that time period and that game looks to be one of the more complicated COIN games and also a huge stretch of the system because it's not actually a counter insurgency at all. Hell, it isn't even a war; Pendragon is set over a period of over a century, and represents the slow cultural shift away from Roman control of Britain towards Saxon control of Britain. But, that one's almost a year away, so I'll keep my eye on it and if I like Falling Sky enough then I'll probably nab Pendragon at retail anyways. Not sure I want to P500 it considering how high their shipping cost is, it ends up being significantly more expensive than CSI and other online retailers.

Liberty or Death also looks good, but again is more complicated, and is sold out literally everywhere right now with no reprint in sight. I may nab that one on the second go around, again assuming I like Falling Sky, but as a first entry it seems like too much and if I wait any longer the final copies will disappear entirely.
>>
>>47388310
>my group isn't into the heavier war games out there
The COIN games all have a bunch of wooden bits in them, convince your group it's really a card-driven euro with heavy theme :^)

>>47388588
Yeah Falling Sky and Pendragon are those that are most appealing subject-wise for me as well. Then there is ofc the complexity factor, so atm Falling Sky is looking better and better. And worse for my wallet lol
>>

I'm not really looking forward to any specific new releases. I'm looking at a couple games to add to my collection but my group hasn't played for a month, so there is no real urgency.

guy who never 'gets it', tryhard, couple people who will try to screw other players over, guy who once behind in points will play the game as if blindfolded

I'd argue that once storage becomes an issue you might have too many.
>>
I jumped onto the P500 for Pericles. It'll be my first GMT game assuming I don't pick up Dominant Species or Twilight Struggle first.

Shitters.

I've probably got too much. It's almost starting to spill out of the cabinet I put them all in.
>>
>>47388535
Please don't judge.
>>
Here we go, this is the game /tg/ needs in their collections.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1568956838/oppai-go

For an extra 9 euro you can even add a pair of officially branded Oppai Go white panties your order!
>>
>>47389769
Who would you play this with? Goddamn.
>>
>>47390166
Don't forget, those white panties have in game rules too! They are a first player marker; the first player must wear the panties on their head. This gives them +1 hit point in the game, due to their protective head panties.
>>
>>47390166
>Who would you play this with?
Anyone on /a/, /e/, /h/, /u/ and /jp/
>>
>>47390188
>>47389769
>>47390319
I'm pretty sure this is cancer and I don't want it.
>>
>>47389769
Well, that is definitely more awkward than Tentacle Bento.
The art looks far worse and Tentacle Bento at least worked with innuendo instead of just being completely tone-deaf.
>>
>>47391748
I'm amazed that it hasn't been removed from KS yet, like Tentacle Bento was. Maybe one of the game's devs are in on the kool-aid, or perhaps KS has actually gone neutral like they said they would. After all, they did allow that MRA movie campaign to complete, to my surprise.
>>
>>47391844
Huh. Didn't even notice Tentacle Bento was taken off KS.
Probably because I was not directly a backer.
>>
>>47391958
It was actually very passive aggressive of Kickstarter; they left it up on KS, but they wouldn't allow new pledges to be made. The 'pledge now' button was still there, it just errored out when people tried to. And at no point did they communicate with the devs, either. Absolutely namby-pamby way of dealing with it. And since it was at the time underneath its pledge target that meant it was guaranteed to fail.
>>
>>47392045
Well, it pulled through in the end and turned out to be severely lacking in the actual game part and the girl variety.

Great ideas with superb design and horribly disappointing execution seem to be something of a running theme with that company.
>>
File: 1387130225689.png (96 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1387130225689.png
96 KB, 400x400
>>47392190
>great idea
>tentacle bento
>>
>>47392377
You don't have to personally like it, but the number of backers speaks for itself.
The project got funded easily, even though KS didn't play nice.
>>
File: Tentacle bento.jpg (30 KB, 600x327) Image search: [Google]
Tentacle bento.jpg
30 KB, 600x327
>>47392433
pic related
>>
>>47392532
If it makes you feel better about yourself...
>>
>>47392433
>even though KS didn't play nice.
Oh, wait, it's THAT one! Yeah KS people were special kind of cunts about it.
>>
>>47392796
nah, I'm a sicko too
>>
>>47388452
There's the Command and Colours set for that time period, one side is the French while the other is an alliance between England and Portugal. Plays similar to Memoir 44, cards to activate units on either flank or the center, has some historical re-enactment missions and stuff.
>>
What do people think of board game youtubers? Dice Tower, Watch it Played, Rahdo are the big ones I know, I especially like Watch it Played.
>>
>>47372281
To be fair, I'm not Steev but often voice the same opinion.

>>47371775
In my experience it's ok, but one side usually curb stomps the other making for a frustrating experience.
>>
>>47376236
>backing anything by Megacon games after the first Myth fiasco

Kek indeed, you deserve what you will undoubtably get. The company's name should have been your first clue.
>>
>>47394884
I wasn't criticising him, it just depressed me a little that the first thought that came to my head was his usual response to the question, due to me having laid in bed reading these threads almost ritually. I've never played SO.
>>
>>47394584
Watch It Played is awesome, I love it. Rodney is so chill, I'd love game with him.

I've tried watching The Dice Tower but they're way too cringy and autistic for me.
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1 MB, 800x800
>>47394584
>Dice Tower
Reviewers are meh to decent depending on the reviewer, but there's enough to find someone who's taste/style you enjoy. Live sessions are kinda blah Top 10 lists are prolly the best, with the convention ones being funniest.
>WiP
Good way to see how a game plays, but breaking gameplay videos up and waiting for input before doing another session annoys the fuck outta me.
>Rahdo
Shaky cam can give motion sickness, and his stationary cam is usually at an odd angle, but prolly the best videos out there for seeing how games play. He does too many kickstarters for my tastes tho, and doesn't seem to ever bash anything.
>Gamenight
Better than Rahdo but not frequent enough, and the players aren't as personable. Watching them discuss games is a lot more helpful though, since they don't all enjoy the same things and are more critical.
>SUSD
Bi-weekly news has them behind all the time now, humor is very hit or miss, and they recommend every social game ever. Still the "welcome" section of videos are worth watching/showing to casual/non-gamer friends, and their new rules explanation vids are quite well done so far.

>>47395475
>Hearing regular contributors to /bgg/ in your head when seeing repeated questions
Right there with you anon, if you were here for pic related you really have been here too long though.
>>
>>47388664

I have all of the COIN games released thus far and just ran through the tutorial scenario for my copy of Falling Sky that came in the mail last week, and damn if they're not all really interesting in their own ways.

My only problem is that I can never get anyone together to play them, but I think that's the curse of everyone who likes heavier games.
>>
>>47397129
>>47388902
>>47388664
>>47388140
>>47386516

>hear about these COIN games everyone talks about in these threads
>decide to check them out
>go to GMT games website
Jesus christ my eyes! Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.

On a related note, on a scale of Ticket to Ride to Terra Mystica how complex/heavy are these games?
>>
>>47397985
They make TM look like TtR.
>>
>>47397985
>Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.
It's like you want the games to be even more expensive.
>>
>>47397994
seriously? Wow, probably not for my group then. I doubt we'd ever finish a game even if I could convince them to start one.

>>47398018
maybe they'd sell more to offset the cost if the website didn't give people eye cancer.
>>
>>47398137
>if the website didn't give people eye cancer.
The kind of people who play GMT games don't give a shit.
>seriously? Wow, probably not for my group then. I doubt we'd ever finish a game even if I could convince them to start one.
They're really not THAT heavily. Definitely heavier than TM, but not enough that it makes TM look like TtR.
Get Twilight Struggle or Dominant Species to test the waters.
>>
File: gencon08.jpg (65 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
gencon08.jpg
65 KB, 500x376
>>47397985
>Jesus christ my eyes! Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.
It could be worse, I'm in the midst of working on a cloth map for my buddies who play Dawn Patrol, they're currently playing on a cardboard backed map based on the original. Shit's fugly and I originally wanted to do a nice screen printed map to look like real terrain but apparently they prefer it to look as plain as possible, so we're going lo-fi with a drop cloth, 8 tubes of caulk and some apple barrel paint.
>>
Played Werewolf (cringe), Suburbia, and Innovation tonight. Wish I played some new stuff but hey
>>47360050
My friend got Amerigo which I've been wanting to try for at least a year. Also Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. I've been daydreaming about Mega Civ for the last couple weeks, I need to befriend someone who owns it
When you take away all of the obvious derivatives, rehashes, rethemes, and ripoffs. If you discount all the mediocre, flat, uninspiring games. Even if you reason away all of the great games that would be totally unreasonable, impractical, or cost-prohibitive for me to own. I still only own a fraction of a percent of the board games remaining. Yet I'm starting to run out of space. Life is suffering.
>>47360427
>how many plays
My most played game is technically MTG or Yugioh (probably hundreds of games each), which may also be the ones I technically spent the most on (hundreds of dollars) But since I'm done with those, my next most played is ONUW when you factor it by number of plays (50+). If you go by time elapsed it's a pretty close race between 4 of my other favorite games, probably around 20 hours each.
>>47362231
Archaeology is out. Good luck on Arboretum, Z-Man doesn't know how to stock anything without Pandemic in the name.
>>
>>47398545
Fucking DAWN PATROL! I love that game. First tabletop I ever played with my dad and uncle as a kid. For the aerial combat, we used scale biplanes on telescoping rods set in a pegboard. Tons of fun.
>>
Is Tanto Cuore good for two players ?
on that note, my bf's birthday is coming up, I'm looking for a 2 player game. something war oriented would be stellar
>>
>>47400760
Yes, good for 2.
Neuroshima Hex
Memoir 44
Heroes of Normandy
Twilight Struggle
>>
>>47401560
thanks anon
anything else good not necessarily war themed?
>>
Anyone tried Tokaido?

is it any good?
>>
>>47402016
It's quick and easy, so it's a nice board game night opener, but there's not much more to it.
>>
>>47402121
Thank you very much. It was either that, Mage Knight or Android Netrunner.
>>
>>47402155
Haven't played Mage Knight, but a word of warning for Android Netrunner:
As with any other collectible game, it's a slippery slope. Not for yourself, but for your wallet.

If you have friends to play it with, go ahead, because it is undeniably a splendid game.
Just be aware that it is a game that demands dedication.

Well, technically, you could just buy the base game and call it a day, but it's up to you whether you can resist the temptation to buy new cards so you can tweak your favorite deck further.
>>
>>47402203
We have a game shop that lets you play any board game you want, from Jenga to Settlers of Catan (as long as you order the overpriced onion rings).

We'll be dealing with the Netrunner base game only and I hope that's enough fun for a game night with friends.
>>
When will FFG do something more fun than fucking Star Wars after Star Wars shit?
>>
>>47402862
They released Android: Mainframe less than a month ago.
>>
>>47402876
Also, all the Star Wars shit is good, it means more income they can use for good games.
>>
Just picked up Mansions of Madness this weekend. I am stoked to play this game.
>>
You get cocky about a good start in a game of talisman it all comes crumbling down
>>
>>47403469
Welcome to Talisman, the game where luck dicks everyone and strategy doesn't matter.
>>
>>47402903
I wish they did use it for some good game.
>>
>>47401560
I thought the consensus on Hex was that it's messy and generally bad? Too much rng, not enough strategy etc.
>>
>>47403469

And usually the worst player wins, and everyone gets drunk and talks shit, and it's glorious.
>>
>>47403737

Can't say I've ever heard this sentiment on or off these boards
>>
>>47403737
There is no random numbers, anon, you just lay hexes on the grid until the board is filled and then resolve combat in order of initiative. Strategy is kind of simple (hit enemy HQ, protect own HQ, kill enemies before enemies kill you, be sneaky about it all), but tactics are very flexible and varied, each army has a different playstyle.
>>
>>47403814
I must be confusing it with something else then.
>>
>>47389769
I love how someone backed the top tier. I wonder how their parents would feek
>>
>>47403820
There's a load of randomness in Hex. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but a bad draw will absolutely screw you over and render a game unwinnable.
>>
>>47403824
With more than two players the game can feel 'chaotic' for sure since there's so many tiles coming out before it's your turn again. 1v1 is the best way to play the game in my opinion.

>>47405302
>load of randomness
>only random element is the draw and you can even muligan if you get all action tiles
>LODS
>>
I have a player in my group who, when it is no longer his turn, will often start exclaiming loudly "Not my turn! Not my turn!" He does this more often in slow placed games. We hate it. So now we yell back "Not my turd!"
>>
>>47405339
>only random element is the draw and you can even muligan if you get all action tiles
Yes, that is the only random element. And that single random element is enough to render a game literally unwinnable if you're unlucky, especially in bad matchups. This is particularly true at the beginning of the match, where claiming key territory makes the difference between winning and losing. If you can't draw the units you need at that point in time then that's game, you lose.
>>
>>47405368
>Hyper autistic player yelling about it not being his turn
>All other hyper autists yelling back

Wow, how many of you guys need diaper changes by the time the game is over?
>>
>>47405368
Does he legitimately have autism or something?
>>
>>47405396
>That Guy
>>
So, nominees for Spieldregre 2016 have been announced.
How is Karuba and Imhotep?
>>
>>47406561
Karuba is alright. I like lightweight multiplayer solitaire for those rare times when I'm actually playing with family, but it's flat with the game group. I personally wouldn't play it often but it's an important niche that few games fill because multiplayer solitaire is supposedly a bad thing

Imhotep isn't available in the US yet because Kosmos. Sounds like an interesting premise but haven't seen it played
>>
>>47396697
>>47394584
No one ever mentions Drive Thru Reviews... is it that obscure? I find it to be the best taste in games around. He also seems like the more reasonable, would play adult
>>
>>47407589
Shut up and Sit Down are the only ones worth watching. Thankfully, they seemed to have stopped the SJW stuff after dipping their toes in it.
>>
>>47405368
People like this are a reason to keep a loaded bb/airsoft pistol within reach of the game table.
>>
>>47362315
The game itself is actually so simple I'm making a pocket adaptation using cards, chits, and micro dice reskinned as mechs. Going great so far. Congrats on your new cheap minis collection
>>
>>47407723
>>47405368
Honestly, IF this guy is a legit aspie, he might need a bit more patience from your group instead of all of you behaving like cunts. I know this doesn't come easy to burgerfolk, but a bit of sympathy can make a world of difference to him.

On the other hand, if he's just being an attention whoring clown, fire at will.
>>
>>47407924
Well, sure, if a guy has a legitimate psychological problem and straight up cannot be reasoned with, you either cut him some slack or don't play with him.
Clowns get kneecapped.
>>
>>47402223
Netrunner base is extremely poorly balanced and ultimately a flop experience. Speaking as someone who thought the games rules gave more promise than the implementation the only way to enjoy it is with tournament winner decks. Not kidding this game has tons of staples
>>
>>47408073
Lies: the post.
Netrunner core has some balance issues, but to call them extreme is aggressive hyperbole.
And I'd even go so far as to say that tournament winner decklists are a long way from the most enjoyable decks to pilot or play against.
>>
>>47407656
>Shut up and Sit Down are the only ones worth watching
No. Get out.

>they seemed to have stopped the SJW stuff
Nope, once you're tainted by degenerate bullshit, it's too late.
>>
>>47407924
It's the latter. We are a close group of friends.
>>
>>47405368
>when it is no longer his turn, will often start exclaiming loudly "Not my turn! Not my turn!"
What does that even mean? I mean does he chant it because he wants it to be his turn again? If someone tries to talk to him does he say that? Why the fuck would you 'exclaim loudly' that it's not your turn? This person sounds like a man child to end all man children.
>>
>>47407589
I forgot them, and also OneTar whose reviews can be fun to watch though the audio is almost always terrible. Not obscure really, just not as big a name. Drive Thru is decent tho, as is Game Boy Geek. UndeadViking should be your last ditch if a game doesn't have reviews by someone else, his reviews are rambling and he doesn't bring anything to the table that anyone else doesn't already do better.

>>47407656
Except they don't review nearly enough games to qualify for being the only channel to watch, and anything that has legitimate weight to it gets shot down, while Billionaire Banshee is apparently game of the year.

>>47408419
If you ignore the comments section you don't see the SJW crowd they attract.
>>
>>47408774
It's to expedite the other players. It's basically saying "my turn is done now do yours and get it done so it can be mine again."
>>
>>47409211
I'm gonna take this a step past STEEV and say fuck airsoft, if someone did this repeatedly even if play isn't dragging they'd get blasted with a taser.
>>
>>47360050

At the moment...nothing. Weird.

Guy 1: The board game fanatic, always buying new things, listening to podcasts, seeing what's new and popular and reviewed well. Plays to win, but doesn't mind losing. Loves games of all types, but is a big fan of cooperative Euro games and hidden-role games that lots of people can play - Werewolf, Two Rooms and a Boom, etc. Star Wars Fanatic.

Guy 1's Girlfriend: Rarely plays with us. Mostly used to family board games, especially ones marketed to girls in the late 90's. Is bad at deeper strategy, is a lot of fun in party games.

Guy 2: Huge Magic the Gathering fan, though doesn't compete. Loves to build decks...would call him a Johnny/Spike. Intensely competitive, hates games where it feels like there's only one optimal strategy. Can get angry if he feels like randomness is shitting on him. Not a fan of Euros, but will try anything once.

Me: The other board game collector. Also the RPG fan of the group. Not hugely competitive, often bad at coming up with good strategies, tend to go quiet and morose if I'm losing - especially if it's because I made a dumb mistake I should have noticed beforehand. The group's resident master at word games and drawing games, still undefeated at Pictomania.
>>
Kemet, yes? No?
>>
>>47410578
Maybe?
>>
>>47410578
Idk. It looked great and I really liked it the first time I played it. On subsequent plays it fell flat.
>>
>>47409211
Geez, and I feel like I must sound pushy when I remind people that their turn has started when I don't know if they heard me say I was done. Some people get miffed at that because, to them, they have obviously started deciding what to do on their turn, but I don't know that! People tend not to acknowledge their turn started because they're so wrapped up in thinking about their strategy.

And other people rarely say when their turn is done. Depending on the game, we'll all just sit there staring at the board for a minute until I usually ask whose turn it is. Usually it's me. But when it's not, sometimes the player whose turn it is takes offense, thinking I'm being pushy again...but I didn't even know you were going!

This guy probably has problems but hey, maybe he feels like everyone's on his case about AP. I've had to remind my friends a few times that I'm not the only one who takes a long time, but I'd like to think I was a lot less rude about it.
>>
>>47410578
Absolutely, one of the very best in genre, though the reference booklet for the power tiles is pretty clumsy.
>>
>>47408796
>and anything that has legitimate weight to it gets shot down
Terra Mystica is one of their top games of all time but generally yeah, you're right.
>>
>>47410617
I don't know...
Can you repeat the question?
>>
Is it wrong that I liked more Pandemic The Cure than base Pandemic?
>>
>>47411674
only if you enjoy punishing yourself for liking stuff
>>
>>47411824
but if you enjoy punishment then it would be OK, so I dunno really
>>
Help, I don't know what version of Dixit should I get. I see that there a 3 base versions. What are the difference?
>>
I'm going to be getting Burgle Bros. Thinking about ordering Paperback too. Is Paperback worth it?
>>
>>47412144
I own it and hace gotten in a few plays, but it's been with complete non board gamers, so just the very basic version. I'm not sure what to make of it desu, without the additional elements of player powers and the attack cards, it is essentially multiplayer solitaire. I've also found each match that the game is over before you actually get to the point of being able to combo powers for longer words or have more letter variety.

Being able to end the round by emptying two piles I feel rewards early fame card hoarding and puts you in a position of needing the higher scoring fame cards to win, but buying them will end the game too soon for you to make up the difference.

I feel I need to play it a few more times with the added mechanics to give a better judgement.
>>
>>47412035
Pretty sure they're all the same functionally. Some have a game board built into the packaging or something.
>>
So "This War of Mine" looks like "Dead of Winter" but good.
>>
>>47413126
>But good
DoW has some serious problems, but at least it's not a full co-op.
>>
File: 1463415191458[1].png (551 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1463415191458[1].png
551 KB, 1080x1920
>>47413348
So "full co-op" means "bad?"
Also, are any of the companies making the games on this list shitters?
>>
>>47402862
They're going to be doing Star Wars as long as they have the license, and for once all the Star Wars shit getting made is actually pretty good.
>>
>>47413410
Co-ops are fine, STEEV just wants to see his enemies driven before him and hear the lamentations of the women.
>>
>>47412035
None. Get Mysterium instead.
>>
>>47413348
Why are you using a trip?
>>
>>47413837
>seriously recommending Mysterium
Yeah, no. Don't buy Mysterium unless you're okay with an absolutely absurd amount of downtime between each round.
>>
>>47413976
The players in my group pour over each other's cards and discuss them during downtime so there virtually isn't any.
>>
>>47413410
Obviously a completely subjective thing, but yeah, I find co-ops to be a sub-optimal use of my friends personalities at best, and a waste of time at worst.

>>47413855
To annoy you.

>>47413837
Only if you're in it for the art.
Deception > Mysterium otherwise.
>>
File: pic2339019.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
pic2339019.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Anybody here play 18XX?
>>
>>47414498
I haven't. How is it?
>>
>>47415525
No idea, haven't played any myself. Local open gaming group I've started going to has an active 18XX scene and one of the members is actively trying to recruit me. I like long, heavy, thinky games, but even I pause at boards like that...
>>
>>47414498
Always seemed like far too much trouble for what you get. Then again my favorite game is Five Tribes so I'm by no means a heavyweight connoisseur.
>>
>>47414498
No.
>>
File: i'm ok with this.jpg (19 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
i'm ok with this.jpg
19 KB, 379x214
>get chance to play eldritch horror
>lose before finishing 2/3 investigations from portals opening everywhere
I can see what people like about this game.
I can also see what I do not like about this game, so I will not be purchasing it for myself.
But I would play it again.
>>
does anybody here accidentally stumble on and find them watching calandale's videos. I don't know how and why i keep doing it.
>>
Anyone tried Red Raven games? The artwork looks absolutely beautiful but I don't have enough to spend on their larger games. Have people enjoyed 8 Minute Empires or Artifacts Inc?
>>
>>47416098
Can you elaborate more on what you liked and didn't like? I've been thinking about buying this game.
>>
>>47416670
8 Minute Empires is a nice filler, worth the time. Artifacts Inc is a boring luckfest. Ryan Lauket does do some brilliant artwork and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start saving up for Near and Far.
>>
Is Chaos in The Old World playable with 2?
I really want a game like that, to play constantly with my roommate and I like the scale of it.
Maybe some LCG fits the bill?
>>
Is Battlelore dead? Is Diskwars?
I've been waiting for new armies forever, is FFG just dropping it?
>>
>>47418702
CitOW really needs 4 people.
>>
>>47418702
it isn't good with 2, anon. don't do it!
>>
>>47418702
>a game like that
Strategic with miniatures then? Memoir 44 is a good introductory title, or Battlelore if you want fantasy. I think the LotR LCG is good for 2 as well?
>>
>>47419191
More strategic than tactical.
>>
>>47419357
What's the difference? I always get confused by some of the terms whenever wargames are involved.
>>
>>47419483
Strategy is the overall plan, the big picture, macro scale. Think TI3.
Tactics are smaller in scale, local problems on the micro scale. Think WH40K.
>>
>>47419514
>>47419191
Also minis are not necessary, but they help. Territory control, army building, research, resource management... I don't think a mini TI3 for two players exists though.
>>
Is there any deck building component in Summoner Wars?
>>
>>47418929
No love for the Horned One?
>>
>>47416098
With the expansions?
>>
>>47419357
Forbidden stars or Rebellion might work for you, but they're not cheap.
>>
>>47417012
It's dripping in well done theme, as is usual with FFG. And the game is surprisingly straight forward in how it plays, giving you a streamlined experience that you can easily get into for a good time with cosmic suffering with friends. If you've played Arkham Horror then you'll definitely see the similarities passed through a nice sieve to give you a more favorable experience.

At the same time it also has way too many decks of cards, which is also typical of FFG. The fun itself I find to also be reliant on the theme, so if you're not into Lovecraft (or just tangentially like I am) reading the flavor text on cards may get old fast. I've never been diehard about Lovecraft although I understand that is what makes it enjoyable for a lot of people, though I say that while gritting my teeth and silently judging everyone who considers him to be the pinnacle of horror. But as this anon asks:

>>47419909
No I did not play with any expansions; it was at a local board game cafe so of course the organization of the box was a mess, though it did come with Forsaken Lore. I've heard about how the expansions only serve to improve the experience and there also being a good number of fan made ones though, so I'm willing to give it one or two more plays before giving my own final opinion on it, but from the first try (which is really just first impressions when it comes to board games) it's not something I'm dying to see back on the table.

Right now though I've got plenty of other highly regarded cooperative games to try out such as Freedom and Dead of Winter so I may also just be pining to play those.
>>
>>47416426
for some games, he's the only person to have recorded footage of it. It's cringe, but still serviceable to see what some of these older wargames and political games are like. But the rant videos... dear lord, stay away from those
>>47416670
City of Iron, Artifacts Inc, and The Ancient World. Artifacts Inc is actually fun if you get enough dice for everyone to plan their turns at once. Otherwise it takes forever.

I don't mind his other games at all, but they're never among my favorites. I don't think the art's that great either. The fact that it looks so "painterly" puts me off. My friend who's an artist thinks his characters' faces look amateur.

Dingo's Dreams looks neat
>>
>>47388452
I heard good things about Napoleon's Triumph.
>>
>>47419655
yes, there is, though it is limited by the cards available to each race/summoner
>>
>>47419655
Yes. The decks are most defined by the starting set up cards, and the summoner's ability and event cards. So the only cards you can change are the champions and the 18 commons minus those commons you start with.

Commons and champions have to come from your own factions, but you can include up to 6 mercenary units of either unit type. The alliance decks allow for two specific factions can be combined for a hybrid summoner, with the hybrid summoner's own base deck units being available for both factions' previous summoners that make up the alliance.

With the amount of expansion content out there, small tweaks and combo makeups actually allow for a plethora of different decks, but some races feel crippled by being forced to resort to using their best units and calling it a day.
>>
File: 1454730714521 - Copy.png (107 KB, 483x527) Image search: [Google]
1454730714521 - Copy.png
107 KB, 483x527
>>47413348
>implying full co-op The Grizzled is bad
I'll fight you, stevie mah boi.
>>
>>47415635
I've never played an 18XX, but I've gotten trapped into playing Railways of the World...

5 hours of trains. Never again. Turned me off to the whole genre.
>>
>>47424700
The Grizzled is actually interesting enough that I'd give it a shot sometime.
Or get two sets and try to come up with a way to make it a team game.
>>
>>47424700
I"ve had it for two weeks now and am dying to play it. It looks so damn good.
>>
File: pic2977228.jpg (562 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pic2977228.jpg
562 KB, 800x800
>>47418201
>it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start saving up for Near and Far.
Ma shiggy niggy. I'm looking forward to Near and Far, especially after how well received Above and Below is. I don't think Above and Below looks all that great, the story book is neat but the gameplay is kinda boring to me, but Near and Far so far sounds fantastic and like a good evolution and improvement on what worked with Above and Below.
>>
I just ordered T.I.M.E Stories and I'm super hyped to get it and play it this weekend.
Have any of you played it and had good experiences? I hear nothing but good about it, but one of my play groups is very mechanics orientated over thematicly orientated. They like story in games, but 2 of them always become AP nerds who micro to win the fastest. Does this satisfy it enough?
>>
>>47421567
>Forsaken Lore
That expansion actually makes the game harder. Base game my group manages to beat any Old One but Cthulhu.
>>
>>47424700
>$20 on Amazon
Fugg stop raping my wallet.
>>
>>47412144
It's one of my favourite deckbuilders, but I know I'd never get to play it if I bought a copy
>>
File: 1459995586921.png (15 KB, 754x406) Image search: [Google]
1459995586921.png
15 KB, 754x406
>>47425242
It is so much fun. So depressing, but you do feel like you work as a team and try to help each other overcome the challenges and (literal) hard knocks, but in the end you cannot help screw each other over. Wife played a game night last Friday while I was knocked out by a cold, they fucked up support almost every time, and lost 4 games back to back. Just 4 players too, which was ez street last time I played with them.

>>47426739
>he sees it at the price
>he hasn't already impulse purchased
>pic related
Do it faggot. Pull that trigger,
>>
File: 1464128067918756073779.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1464128067918756073779.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
It is a gorgeous day, and time is ticking down on my friend moving to Newfoundland for his residency. So obviously we are playing games on the creaky, not-gonna-fall-anytime-soon-oh-god-montreal-why-balcony. Never played noir before, but it looked fun at a table in the board game pub last night. Got it in the War 2.0 kick starter, but did not particularly want it or ask for it. Gotta game outside more often.
>>
Playing Twilight Struggle for the first time tomorrow, I'm fucking stoked!
What do I need to know that is not on the rulebook?
Death to the enemies of the proletariat!
>>
>>47428362
Having only started it a month ago, you are in for an emotional roller coaster of a ride.

USSR should always coup Iran as its first action of the game
Look up how bear trap and quagmire work. It seems evidence on the cards. Its not with how it alters an action round.
Never be afraid to coup or realign. My brother wouldn't coup to get an inroads into Africa, and I scored 16 points from it. That should NEVER happen.
>>
>>47427806
>>he hasn't already impulse purchased
That's what I implied by my lamentation over my wallet.
>>
>>47428478
>USSR should always coup Iran as its first action of the game
If the US is weak in Europe it's usually worth it to take the Medi countries rather than Iran.
>>
File: 1454730385097 - Copy.png (26 KB, 371x487) Image search: [Google]
1454730385097 - Copy.png
26 KB, 371x487
>>47428620
>finally get to use pic related

>>47428633
Iran shuts Us out of Asia so hard, especially if USSR then chokes them out of Thailand via the lower southeast countries (which it can do with destal or decolonize). USA only having access the long way around or fighting tooth and nail through the vietnam/laos/indonesia/thailand area is delicious tears for soviets. Iran is that much of a lynchpin on turn 1.
>>
>>47426101
It's pretty fun. There's enough meachnics to toy around with.
The only problem was a riddle near the end of the story that you collect clues for throughout the game. I was the only one who got it, and even after I explained it to my friends, they were all like "How did you do that?".
Also, don't expect to get a good run on the first try. There's plenty of dead ends.
>>
>>47428703
Yeah isn't the point to play it over and over again to get everything down and succeed?
>>
>>47428726
Not exactly, no.
You can certainly do it that way, but the replay value is rather limited.
>>
>>47428753
No I mean, you play the first time and don't succeed on your mission and run out of time units. Aren't you supposed to use the knowledge you gained from that try, and try again?
>>
>>47428780
Yes, that is correct.
>>
>>47413600
Co-op board games aren't really games, they are just puzzles.
>>
>>47428684
Out with the Shah then!
Also, Preventing the Korea/Vietnam wars sounds like a fun thing to do thematically, is it hard to stop US encroachment in the peninsulas?
>>
>>47429272
All games are puzzles, it's just sometimes the pieces have minds of their own; but depending on the co-op yes it's a bit like a puzzle.
>>
File: deadof.jpg (209 KB, 1287x670) Image search: [Google]
deadof.jpg
209 KB, 1287x670
Worth it?
>>
>>47413348
DoW's problems are specifically because it isn't a full co-op game. The betrayer mechanic is complete shit.
>>
>>47430126
Well, you can always play it as a full co-op, or without betrayer but with personal objectives being necessary for a person to win. It feels off, but it can go straight co-op. Still, sucks the betrayer element is either not impactful or shits everything out of nowhere at the last minute.
>>
>>47430176
It really doesn't feel off. Secret objectives are either mind numbingly easy or complete non-starters. The latter is often the case when your secret objective is in direct competition with the main objective or the round's current crisis. Need to collect a certain item for your secret objective? Too bad, it's now needed to pay for a crisis which will have severe negative consequences for the game if failed, possibly ending it altogether.

As such, people with easy objectives can complete them fairly early or without dedicating substantial resources to securing whatever they need. Things like building a number of barricades, for instance, only require that do things that you'd already want to do anyways. People with difficult objectives are forced to sacrifice one for the team or the game ends. It doesn't make for any real interesting decision making.

As you said, the betrayer mechanic is tailored toward sudden, last minute bombs. Unlike other betrayer games where you're encouraged to commit small acts of sabotage throughout, there's no reason to ever risk outing yourself in DoW unless you're dropping a bomb that will end the game. Because if you are ever voted out, your objective changes and you suddenly can't rely on all that shit you've been collecting throughout the game.
>>
>>47430126
I agree completely, but I'd still rather play a pvp with problems than a mediocre co-op.
>>
>>47430459
So you like Dead of Winter, Steev?
>>
Have you guys ever done 3x3 rate, recommend

I know I'm very "cult of the new". I got into the hobby 2 years ago so... But this is what I've mostly been playing recently.
>>
>>47430932
Also: https://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
>>
>>47367458
Smash-up : Munchkin
But it is not really Munchkin though
>>
>>47419877
4 people minimum. But tbqh famalam, adding the 5th player feels awkward.
>>
>>47430592
It's definitely soured a bit as repeated plays have made its problems more glaringly obvious, but I won't refuse to play it yet, there's still some fun to be had. I'm hoping the expansion will fix it up, but I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>47430459
So Chaos in the Old World with those fuckhard Old World cards from the expansion?
>>
>>47431277
desu isn't filtered anymore senpai.
>>
>>47431363
Fuck, it is filtered!
I must be thinking of cuck.
>>
>>47431346
Absolutely.
Though, shamefully, I still haven't played citow.
>>
>>47430932
Oh shit we got a classic /v/ meme up in here
>>
>>47431442
No memein' breh, post those 3x3
>>
File: 18xx.jpg (256 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
18xx.jpg
256 KB, 920x920
Get some taste you filthy plebs.
>>
>>47431940
>he likes trains
>>
>>47431940
>maximum_autism.tiff
>>
Go ahead. Say it. I already know I am, so just go ahead and call me it.
>>
>>47433511
A what?
>>
>>47433640
GPA?
>>
>>47433511
How's Millennium Blades holding up after multiple playthroughs?
>>
>>47435113
I'm six games in and I think it's getting better each time. Mostly it's been the same people, so a bit of a meta is building up, and I'm glad to say that the game can definitely support that. I could, however, see it getting flat if you always played with different people.
>>
>Battlelore
>Tanto Cuore
>Forbidden Stars
>Potion Explosion
>Lords of Waterdeep Scoundrels of Skullport

I just ordered this for my birthday. I have no control over my money.

No regrets
>>
>>47436238
Don't you usually get others to order that stuff for you on your birthday?
>>
>>47436384

I don't have many friends
>>
>>47436551
But those you have are well gamed! Bravo.
<Golf Clap>
>>
>>47433511
Uh...

Faggot?
>>
>>47414498
I have a slight chub looking at that. How is it actually?
>>
>so close to pulling the trigger on Falling Sky
People who've played the COIN games, what's your impression of the system, and what should I be wary of before buying?
>>
I've a question about Kingdom Death expansions:
Are they gonna be available for a long while, or once they're out they won't be reprinted?
I wanna buy all of them, but I'm not sure if they'll be available in a year or so. Dragon King is already gone, for example.
>>
>>47435271
Damn, then I might have to buy it.
Or, more likely, wait until it gets a German translation so people will actually play with me.
>>
>>47405396
>Yes, that is the only random element. And that single random element is enough to render a game literally unwinnable if you're unlucky

I was thinking like that at the beginning, but you have to understand that you need to know each army "deck". Tokens are discarded openly and each player can look through opponent's discard pile as well as their own.

With each turn, the pool of things that your opponent or you might draw is shrinking. This is HUGE. There are no dice involved, no reshuffles - each impulse you have more and more information, lowering the uncertainty of each draw.

And if your first draws are bad and your opponent's are superb, then remember that later in the game the situation will most likely reverse itself.

I can agree about bad matchups, but baring few really bad ones (Vegas versus Mephisto) it's all pretty balanced. If you really think that luck is so dominant, play best of 3. You can also play 2 matches, swapping faction between them.

It's still not 100% deterministic. That would make for a pretty bad game. It was designed to have as much replayability as possible. If you think that a game is bad because "if you're unlucky then it's literally unwinnable" then you're left pretty much with abstract game only.
>>
>>47442296
I don't think the game is bad. I deeply enjoy the game. But there's no denying that it is more than possible to lose a match solely due to poor draws. If you keep drawing two action tiles and a module while your opponent is putting down bomb units you can end up falling so far behind that it becomes impossible to catch up.

You mention that this implies that your opponent will later end up with poor draws too, but it honestly does not matter. Most matchups are so tempo based that losing the early game is losing the game. What does it matter if you're drawing nothing but actions and modules if you've got your opponent's base surrounded and netted and you're up by ten points?

There's definitely more skill than luck, but to deny that luck isn't critical is to stick your head in the sand. And this is coming from someone who adores the game.
>>
>>47441616
Same boat as you friend but I plan on getting it. I prefer medieval but Pendragon be out until next year, and everything I hear about COIN just tells me how great they are.
>>
>>47442689
Not that anon, but I agree. Luck does play a role in N:Hex, and once you get an early lead after a poor start from your opponent, you can usually manage to maintain the lead by playing defensively.
>>
>>47442689
See, I also like this game very much, even if it completely didn't click with me the first few times I played it. As I said, I agree that the luck of the draw can't be completely mitigated, you just get more complete view of the "puzzle" the more game goes on.

>You mention that this implies that your opponent will later end up with poor draws too, but it honestly does not matter. Most matchups are so tempo based that losing the early game is losing the game.

I agree, but on the other hand I believe that comebacks can be much more common than you think. I often had big swings in points through the game, only to end up with the need of tiebreaker battle. On the other hand, I also saw Mississippi fully poison the enemy HQ in the first 2 battles, ending up doing 5 damage up front per battle, so there is something to that.

All in all, it's a good game and by no means I would call it a "messy and generally bad" as somebody mentioned in this thread.

A small digression - a new army is in the works, called "Death Breath". Thematically it will be an army of people infected with a virus that changes them into mindless and blood-hungry zombies.
>>
File: Patrician.jpg (314 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
Patrician.jpg
314 KB, 920x920
Typical clueless /tg/ poster coming trough... oh wait, should have included Munchkin and CAH
>>
>>47445171
What is wrong with Munchkin?
>>
>>47445273
>Munchkin
See previous posts on this.
>>
>>47445273
Munchkin is fun. Once.
>>
>>47445273
/tg/ hates it because games should not be fun, they should be good

or something
>>
>>47445351
They should be fun because they are good, not because of some decade+ LOLPOWERGAMERS jokes.
>>
/bgg/ what's your opinion on D&D attack wing?
before someone mention it I'm not interested in X-wing mostly because star wars kinda puts me off, also dragons.

Similar games like this? maybe something that uses something else rather than 8-side dies for damage and misses?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.