[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are goblins like in your setting? Free EXP? Proud warrior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13
File: 1463959915175.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1463959915175.gif
2 MB, 480x270
What are goblins like in your setting? Free EXP? Proud warrior race guys?
>>
>>47409942
>What are goblins like in your setting? Free EXP? Proud warrior race guys?

Shortstack sex objects, of course.
>>
>>47409942

A servitor race that went feral before being domesticated again.

They were originally created by humans, along with Elves and Orcs, to help bolster their numbers against the Dragons.

When it came time to abandon Earth the Colony ship that carried everyone crashed. The humans who were stored in stasis pods died and after several thousand years the Elves, Orcs, and goblins started forming their own civilizations along with the various other creaturs that inhabited the planet they crashed landed on.

While no one race was any better when it came to engineering, Goblins are near savant levels when it comes to it as their original purpose was to maintain the ship's systems crawling into spaces that fit their body sizes.

And while they had forgotten most of the original purpose of most technology they were able to pass on how to maintain it so they have advanced weapons as well, at least the ones that didn't turn into post apoc diesel bandits riding tricked out motorcycles and trucks.
>>
Work in progress, but I think about making them the greenskin equivalent to our chimpanzees. So small creatures smarter than most animals, but still a kind of animal.
>>
File: goblin.jpg (75 KB, 736x1008) Image search: [Google]
goblin.jpg
75 KB, 736x1008
Slaves that ogres sell to the rest of the world's regions. There's a few scattered tribes of them, but they're too dumb to ever organize into anything worth a damn.
>>
>>47409942
Wildbow by Pact goblins, essentially. Varied little creatures that act as personifications of scum and filth, pop up around places of decay both societal and otherwise.

They infest places like Detroit or other rotting cities on the rustbelt, or New Orleans post Katrina.
>>
>>47409942
One of the many, many sub species of Orc.

As the punishment for many crimes in Orc lands is exile, most Goblins in the Human nations are bandits and various other types of criminals.
>>
>>47409942
We don't have 'em.
But we do have Muttfolk, who are mixtures of several different races. They have natural resilience and some of the benefits of each, but the shortest lifespans of any race at about thirty years (they mature in 10). They also can't breed with any other race but each other due to their odd genetic makeup.
This makes them good servants, murderhobos, assassins, and tragic figures in a lot of plays. They tend to be either harsh and sober, having accepted their lot in life, or desperately searching entertainment, pleasure, and entertainment.
>>
>>47410568
>*and meaning in life.
Though, amusingly, that works, too.
>>
Pretty much free exp. The dm hasn't really worked on developing them at all and my barbarian goes around playing whack a mole withe them basically. We had a good laugh when I soloed 5 of them at lvl 1.
>>
>>47409942
When I started working on my setting I had just played Warcraft 3 and was building an Izzet themed MTG deck so I incorporated a lot of tinkerer stuff into them.

Goblins, Orcs, and Gnomes live together in a single society with Gnomes basically being in control of it all. Goblins and Gnomes both love to tinker and all three love explosions so the Gnomes and Goblins do SCIENCE! while the Orcs farm and defend their cave cities in exchange for explosives and baubles covered in bright flashing lights. Goblins are basically high int, abysmal wis and have no sense of self preservation, while Gnomes are sociopaths who care more about their experiment than their assistants, so goblins are usually used as disposable test subjects by the Gnomes. This continues because the goblins haven't really realized what's going on yet. It's been this way for as long as anyone can remember.

Goblin merchants are typically a welcome sight to the dwarves and humans, as they both love the chance to buy some high quality explosives, but elves have little interest in them since they have little use for their goods. since most areas are more mixed race anyway, this isn't really a big deal though. Most major cities welcome a Goblin trading caravan, although they aren't allowed to just set up and trade with anyone. Explosives are regulated in most countries, so they're mostly bought by military and mining operations.

Goblin bandits on the other hand are moderately common and a huge nuisance to the human civilizations. Most Goblin bandits are just more research assistants that were told to go try out this cool new weapon that some Gnome invented, or who came up with something and wanted to see if it worked, so they're often pretty dangerous if they don't just explode the moment they try to attack.
>>
In my setting, goblins are an underevolved race, similar to primitive man, but goblinoid. They're kind of territorial, but they don't go raiding and pillaging.
>>
Weird little fuckers.
>>
>>47409942
An ancient race, endowed with the aspect of Cunning. Not evil, but during the past age they were frequently mistrusted, and rarely Lawful. Ruled by the Low Council, they created an underground network stretching across the face of the planet, permitting their kind to go wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Reaon? It's just what they do.

They're one of the only races bar the Orcs (Passion) and Elves (Air) to survive outside of city walls which Humans (Nothing), Dwarfs (Earth) and Halflings (Hope) hide within.

They're actually pretty damn important and have ammased a stockpile of Magical Artifacts greater than any other race after the resurgence of Magic. Also while their network is in tatters, they've managed to convince the world at large that they went extinct like so many other races.
>>
>>47409942
An ethnic group of orcs (orcs themselves being an ethnic group themselves, they don't like the racial label. I mean imagine if everyone from the UK were called "Welshmen"). They live around what's basically the eastern European equivalent regions in my setting and live in mountain villages.

They are shorter than average but their small stature is highly exaggerated by outsiders and are only as short as dwarves (who tend to average around 5'6) and they have a penchant for creating really bright, gaudy, and flowing clothes.

They have a strong distrust of hobgoblins (yet another ethnic group) who used to live as raiders who would descend on them and gnomish communities from deep in the mountains. And also because hobgoblins are seen as giving normal goblins a shitty reputation.
>>
Vaguely rat like magical tricksters with an insatiable lust for power and wealth, and powerful contract based magic that a good deal of their society is based on. They're native to a weird border plane called the Betwixt that exists between every bit of normal space time and is basically entirely defined by their contracts with each other and with it. Every goblin is a scam artist who wants to fuck everyone over enough to be able to purchase a place in the Betwixt and stop slumming it on earth. Goblins swing wildly between being hideously greedy and selfish and extremely ostentatious, flamboyant, and aggressively generous. Goblins are capable thieves, illusionists, and skirmishers, but loathe doing things for themselves. Instead, they tend to accrue a large following of hobgoblins (which in my setting isn't a specific type of creature, but instead just refers to anyone and anything that is contract bound to serve a goblin.) This also makes them very good , if often very harsh, personnel managers. Many goblins disdain using hobgoblins for every day affairs because of they hate paying them. Instead they use Gretchins, tiny shitty knockoff goblins created from garbage using a technique the fair folk used to create the elves. Gretchins cost literally nothing, and will serve fanatically and without question, which makes them a perennial favorite of goblin kind. Gretchins are also wildly incompetent and dumber than a brick, and tend to fuck up anything the goblins send them to do. The gobbos still generally stick to the budget minion option, which is why most of them are languishing in poverty and obscurity
>>
As close to vermin as a race can be. Many would slaughter them if not for the gods saying they count as people. Among the people that accept them they're often treated not unlike how you would treat a stray animal. Even in cases where one manages to become fully civilized and integrated into society he will almost always be considered a second class citizen. They usually take undesired or dangerous work (with the exception of mining, which is almost entirely done by orcs employed by dwarves) and find ready employment in mercenary armies providing security for anyone living or working in the monster filled lands between citystates. In the south goblins on the wrong side of the law often find themselves working as bootleggers working with the dark elves who produce most of the illegal hooch on the continent. There are also several large families that have managed to build up enough independently to rival the dark elves' business. In response to this many of the more morally minded goblins in the region have turned to law enforcement and will be the first to jump at a chance to raid a suspected still in the hopes of bettering how their kind is seen.
>>
File: image.png (699 KB, 900x1155) Image search: [Google]
image.png
699 KB, 900x1155
>>47409942
Only the most classy and decadent of peoples, with their more simpler, yet charming, gentleorc cousins not too far behind.
>>
File: goblintg.png (299 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
goblintg.png
299 KB, 612x792
Draw fag here.
Goblins in my setting look like this.
They are more likely to be merchants or tricksters than warriors and enemies.
>>
The DM's magical realm I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>47412479
>Humans (Nothing)
wowsers.
>>
File: tumblr_o5sra8aNFz1tyyhvoo1_1280.png (514 KB, 832x1216) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5sra8aNFz1tyyhvoo1_1280.png
514 KB, 832x1216
Goblins were created by a great Eladrin witch. In an attempt to convince the other witches that earth was a horrible and disgusting place which should be abandoned, she rubbed mud in her vagina and birthed gross little green people. The witches weren't having any of her weird shit though. Several hundred years later, after creating lots of gross little goblins and making them perfect little slave soldiers and taking over most of earth, the Eladrin was killed and the goblins rejoiced for being freed. Then they were enslaved for another few hundred years, until someone finally realised they weren't evil. Now they live in their own little kingdom, with a culture which revolves entirely around labour. Work work work.
>>
>>47412479
>Humans (Nothing)
Why not industry, or some shit like that?
>>
>>47409942
They were intended to be a cheap replacement for orcs. Some crazy lich dude figured out a way to enslave the entire orc race and use them as his disposable army.
When they were nearly wiped out, he started trying to make a replacement for them. Using rabbits, rats and other small mammals as stock, he made the goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears).

They're furry, have big ears, eyes and noses, and have huge families since they grow up fast and have litters of kids. Goblins are the smallest race, usually just a few inches shorter than dwarves on average. Hobgoblins are about the same height as humans, and bugbears are the larget race, standing up to a foot taller than orcs.
Goblins shed continuously, and use hormones for all sorts of subconcious communication. Goblins that are seen as authority figures by other goblins will eventually grow to become hobgoblins and bugbears, which also makes their fur longer and their hormones more distinct.
Goblins are hated by pretty much everyone except the orcs because Lichdude was a fucking asshole, so they usually stick to their own communities.
Goblin culture values family, diversity and individual expression. They're big on body modification, and most goblins have tons of piercings. They also invented tattoos, and while hobgoblins and bugbears have too much fur for tattoos, regular goblins can get them just fine, and they're popular with most races except elves.
>>
File: the goblin emperor.png (1 MB, 802x1060) Image search: [Google]
the goblin emperor.png
1 MB, 802x1060
>>47410492

What if goblins aren't a subspecies of orc, orcs in fact have a weird biological quirk that causes them to shrink dramatically in size when resources are sufficiently scarce and they become malnourished?
>>
>>47414080
>>47414394
Humans are the "base template" race.
They were the first, all the others were created from them.
So many believed they were unloved by the Gods, but secretly the first two gods Goddess of Beginning (Esh), and the God of Endings (Enn) loved them the most of all.
>>
>>47409942
Non-existant.

Dunno why, but I just... dislike goblins, orcs, elves, and dwarves right now. I guess I feel that they are either overused, or not different enough from humans. Even though there is one thing I would like my goblins to have (aggressive regeneration). So I guess my goblin archetype might be kobolds instead, and the orc archtype would be gnolls.

...though that just might make me a furry.
>>
>>47409968
The only correct answer
>>
>>47415402
You should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>47409942
Clever but cowardly fast breeding little shits. Not to be underestimated given they are trapped in extended adolescence for all their probably short lived lives. They care very little for losses(whether in fighting, work mishaps), are agile, and smart. Weak though but they are tricky to deal with.

Generally they are seen to be a difficult to deal with pest and those who understimate them are going to have a real bad time. They be cowardly but their agility, numbers, and cleverness means they aren't that easy to deal with.

Not to mention there are few things goblins hate more then a 'fair' fight.
>>
In my first setting, straight up aztecs, copy and pasted. Goblin shamans were advisors to orc chiefs, as well as the only healers orcs had. In return, they demanded tons of slaves to sacrifice for their crazy sun worship. Their ancestors saw a paladin of legend hold off hordes of monsters that were destroying the world at the time, and mistook her worship practices for worshipping the sun. A thousand years later, their sun worship is at an insane level (and most of it doesn't even do anything)

Current setting, goblins are amphibious, nasty assholes. They each embody one of the seven deadly sins based on when they were born, like a horoscope of debauchery. They're the main race of the sea thanks to all the goblins born under the sign of lust. They're also PC races
>>
>>47409942
Proud warrior EXP
>>
>>47414935
You could give them aspect of Luck if gods love them so much
>>
Merchants, craftsmen and general-labor force; where lagos are most well-known for hardy and durable devices (if rough and hard on the eyes), goblins are more artisans and detailers in their work.

They are also shrewd businessmen, and often considered (not entirely unfairly) to be cheats and scoundrels who sneak all sorts of things into their contracts - which, of course, are almost always* written in New Kregli, an ancient and intentionally obscure language most goblins are reluctant to teach other races.

(*Almost always, as any smart goblin is sure to use basic Trade and simple, clear terms for contracts when dealing with kobaloi; no one, after all, wants a kobalos to even -suspect- a contract might not be on the up-and-up, as the results would be...unpleasant.)
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 1024x768
>>47409942
Horde of inventors and tribe orientated natives.
>>
>>47420593
Nah, Luck was another race.
Humans have no aspect, but really that doesn't mean anything other than that they're their own race and they have complete choice over what they want to do, and think.
Orcs can't help but be passionate abouut things.
Halflings are insufferably optimistic.
And Goblins find it REALLY hard to be straightforward.

It's a whole thing, and I'm not going to change it.
>>
Slave workers in the factories and farms. They are born in clutches, raised to work and work to live. After victory of the Fifth Defensive War the population were starving and had a hatred for gobilnkind that had grown over two generations. The result was either extermination or enslavement.

The people picked enslavement and the nation became an apartied state with the citizens and the slaves.
>>
Probably a Guillermo del Toro creature. Very weird looking. Impish. Probably play up the goblinoid family a bit. Hobgoblins being the vost common, with goblin like slaves and bugbear (who look more like a bug crossed with a bear) brutes and bullies sometimes above them.
>>
>>47421350
Why not a tribe of inventors, all coconut radios and bamboo rockets?
>>
>>47415369
>I dislike archetypes
>I use racelifts as exactly these archetypes
Sounds like you're just shit at making races desu senpai
>>
>>47409942

Northern goblins believe in slavery. Strong goblins own slaves, weak goblins are slaves, and societies that don't practice slavery are dumb, rebellious slaves in denial. They believe in keeping slaves disciplined and obedient through communal beatings. They love to go on raids on unsuspecting human towns and take prisoners as slaves.

Southern goblins have conquered the formerly great Nerathene Empire and taken control a century and some change ago. After eight goblin generations, the Goblin nobles have converted to worshipping human deities and assimilated into their conquered land's culture.

The males and females both have bony faces and wispy, greasy beards. It is a closely guarded secret that human babies kidnapped and raised in goblin society and fed goblin milk will become goblins, though they also breed the normal way.
>>
>>47409942
They're easy and safe EXP.

The goblins are sadistic things that like to capture their victims, which is just used as an excuse for no one dying in battle against them, instead you're able to escape, since goblins don't really have high security cages.
>>
File: goblin eating bread.jpg (145 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
goblin eating bread.jpg
145 KB, 720x960
Goblins = Dogs
Hobgoblins = Wolves
Bugbears = Bears

It's pretty clear if you think about it
>>
>>47409942
Jungle 300-esque persians who love steel accesories.
>>
File: gobby the goblin reloaded.png (49 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
gobby the goblin reloaded.png
49 KB, 1000x1000
The slave race, created by the God of Order, Dishonesty, and Slavery by request of the God of Beauty, the Arts, and Elves. Purposefully foolish and small, they act more or less like unruly children but have the strength of your average adult. They do, however, have a knack for stealth, magic, and mining. Goblins have no visible mouths, do not seem to know how to breed (although new ones pop up nearly every week in large Goblin settlements), and enjoy consuming minerals and metals above human foods. Goblins of both sexes exist and battle, but Goblin males are slightly more common. Your average Goblin is pictured.

Hob-goblins are smarter, bigger, and stronger Goblins. They are exceedingly rare, and only one in 5,000 goblins is a Hob-Goblin. Hob-Goblins tend to be very greedy, though inevitably more mature. Hob-Goblins look more like WoW's Goblins.

Socially, most Goblins serve as slaves to Drow, Gnomes, Orcs, and some cruel Humans or Elves. Most free Goblins live as bandits, thieves, or other criminals. The majority of Goblins in the Northern segment of the World, however, have pledged their allegiance to a King Hobbe, a Hob-goblin. King Hobbe, determined to prove his people have a place in the world, set up a massive Goblin-city in an expansive cave inside Mount Everron. Though he's been trying to modernize his people for their own good and improve foreign relations with the other races, he has met little success with both.

While Hob-goblins are unplayable, Goblins are.
>>
File: halfling and goblin.png (24 KB, 808x606) Image search: [Google]
halfling and goblin.png
24 KB, 808x606
>>47427078
In addition, it should also be noted that Halflings descended from Goblins in my setting. After taking pity upon a large group of Goblin mine slaves, the God of Magic and Knowledge gave a group of Goblins massive intellect so they could overthrow their Drowic masters and overseers. Those particular Goblins succeeded in their own liberation, but their ears shrank, their skin yellowed, noses grew soft and round, grew hair upon their heads and upon their feet, and grew by a few inches.

These Halflings went on to build magnificent engineering wonders, including a dozen ray-guns, three technologically advanced and trap-heavy cities, and sentient Golems. They worshiped no Gods, not even their savior, and eventually disappeared entirely, leaving their automata and ruins behind for later treasure hunters to rise and fall in.

They're heavily inspired by the Dwemer, and no living Halflings or corpses appear in the game. Their Golems still walk, and occasionally crush, master-less.
>>
The race calls themselves the Fenfydar, or "people of the Fen". Their beliefs are that at the dawn of time, all the Gods placed the races in their proper environment: The Dwarves in the Mountains, the Elves in the Woods, the Humans in the Plains. The Fenfydar were given the swamps and bogs. It was only later that the mischeivously evil Black Shuck tricked the swamp-dwelling youths to go a-goblin (which in the Fenfydar tongue means raiding.) Warbands of 'goblins' exist in many places, but they are frowned upon by sensible tradtionalists. Goblins that have existed outside the swamps for generations have indeed forgotten their true heritage.
>>
Misunderstood sentient fungal spawn that got little recognition until the party saved one that would (eventually) become the Goblin King of the 6th kingdom of hell.

Little dude made a deal with one of the hell lords, went south, party (of their own volition) jumped dimensions to save his little green ass. Canonically post campaign he went back with a gobbo army and kicked the lord's ass and took his kingdom for his own, making it into a tourist trap to see old loved ones.
>>
>>47427520
>goblins are fungi living in Hell
I like it
>>
something between a crowd of rambunctions children and a violent riot. diminutive, explosive breeders, with a talent for finding their ways into places they shouldn't, and wielding weapons many times larger than themselves (poorly).

Pretty standard, to be honest.
>>
>>47422988
Yeah, it's something I have come to realize. I do have some races that don't fit any of the traditional holes, but I also realize I want some sort of wandering barbarian tribes, which are non-evil orcs, but I didn't want to use ORCS. But I relaly liked Digger and the 'the people' in it (the hyenas) and I had ideas based upon cannibalism, so that all works together.

But I also want a mysterious race that lives under the mountains that can also use lava forges, but I don't want DWARVES. I want mysterious people who live in the deep forest with powerful nature magic, but I don't want ELVES.
>>
File: face loev.png (265 KB, 2600x2882) Image search: [Google]
face loev.png
265 KB, 2600x2882
>>47414769
>2qt
I could never farm that little guy...
Would breed though

For me, they're the dwarves to the gnomes' "elfishness". They're sturdier and build more intent on longevity and mechanic ingenuity rather than gnomish fancy designs and magical machinery.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.