[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mecha Space Pirate Quest XXIII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
Welcome back, to the twenty-third installment of Mecha Space Pirate Quest. As always, you are Heinrich "Caesar" Merrow of...nope, just kidding. You are once again Admiral Roarke Susan Starwind of the Iron Kestrels, nicknamed Dude McCool by your former Captain, master of a pirate fleet and pilot of the Knuckle Kaiser.

Previous Threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Mecha+Space+Pirate+Quest%2C+Collective+Game%2C+mecha
Master Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/sSHs0QmF
Upgrade Menu: http://pastebin.com/QQQzkFZe
List of Moves: http://pastebin.com/HSdyCe2y
Rogues' Gallery: http://pastebin.com/E9ZcDLfG

Last time, things happened to someone else. Someone other than you. You, meanwhile, have been able to relax, take in the artificial sunlight, and enjoy the beach with the girls. Right now, Karen is constructing a truly titanic and elaborate sand castle, sculpting little gargoyles to go on the turrets. Fatima is with you today, also playing in the surf, her usual headscarf gone. Samantha had things to do, but promised she'd show up.

You would be in a wonderful mood if it weren't for the fact that you're taking a conference call on your PC, the little holograms of Miles and Oda explaining what just happened, where Mohammed is, and that the Master Harpy Dervish is partially disassembled on board a UJCIDF vessel.

"So, you challenged him to a duel..." You start.

"Hai, taishou-sama!" Oda replies, chipper as a beaver.

"Rudolph Merrow's son, in the King Swordfish." You have to admit you kind of want the King Swordfish in the Rhinehawk's mech bay.

"Hai hai!"

"And you wagered that if he lost, we take him and his mech hostage, and if he won he gets Mohammed and the Master Harpy Dervish, and he willingly agreed?" You ask.

"We all saw it." Miles chips in, "Genius, isn't it? No matter the outcome, we'll know what's going on." You can't just blindly trust her judgment on that, she's Miles, a tiny ball of greed and bad temper.

[Continued]
>>
>>47413601
Truly we have out played ourselves

Mixtapes as usual https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6iimHE85EZZZjRoaWVwQ3U2ZFk
>>
File: Captain Roarke Starwind.png (104 KB, 220x279) Image search: [Google]
Captain Roarke Starwind.png
104 KB, 220x279
"So you bet Mohammed instead of yourself, Yoritomo..." You just want to be clear.

"Hai aniki! They would suspect something if I had gambled myself, and if I was taken they would exercise far more caution than against poor Moe-kun." He pronounces it Moh-ay for some reason you don't understand.

"And he then insisted on fighting the duel himself." You pause to consider, momentarily, how much damage to a larger mech the Master Harpy's beam katars could do. It could probably sever them quickly, but it's still a fragile machine compared to the Knuckle Kaiser or even the Osano-Wo.

"Hai!"

"And then Mohammed lost..." You continue, rubbing your forehead.

"Yep! We'll never stop bullying him for that. It was almost close, they're both kids and I think Mo could have chopped off one of his arms if that big striper hadn't been a lot more agile than we thought." Miles nods cheerfully.

You see Samantha walking down the steps towards the beach in the distance, a towel in her hands and a very frilly black-and-white bikini keeping her covered.

You take a deep breath, marshal your thoughts, and respond, "You..."

>[You what?]
>>
>>47413788
>You better have told Moe to not spill the beans about Sam wanting to be here
>>
>>47413788
You guys are dumb as a sack of hammers. Next time someone comes to negotiate dont start fights.
>>
>>47413788
>"...are all going to promise me never to do something like this ever again, on pain of an as-of-yet-undecided, but extremely humiliating, punishment."
>"Yes, I know you're obviously going to eventually do it again, but this way I get the licence to fuck with you when you do."
>"So, did you at least find out what they're actually here for?"
>>
>>47413900
>as-of-yet-undecided, but extremely humiliating, punishment
Miles gets demoted and richard gets to be first mate.
>>
>>47413933
But Richard is the bosun.
>>
>>47413933
Too productive. Not pointlessly humiliating enough.
>>
>>47413788
(assuming they told us this was about negotiations)
You.. REALLY need to think before charging ahead. It went well, but this is going to put pressure in the wrong spots if we aren't lucky. Considering we just got back from defusing a situation with the interview what would attacking them first do? Cause a lot of trouble and likely have them screaming for our heads if we attacked THE King swordfish during a peaceful negotiation.

It worked well enough, but negotiations are going to be tricky since they will see themselves in a stronger position and may be guarded in general.

Hell, from the sounds of it Mohammad was the most down to earth when it came to figuring things out. While he did lose a battle, he also prevented us from starting a outright war here. Should at least thank him and show respect for that.
>>
>>47413977
Just make here wear a dress and tell everyone how much she loves Richard
>>
File: Iron Kestrels.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Iron Kestrels.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
You also have some decisions to make, and I'm giving you a few hours to chew it over between plot posts.

You took out three Bluegills, two Pumpkinseeds, and three Pumpkinseed IIs last time. You can keep them, or you can scrap the Pumpkinseeds and Pumpkinseed IIs for CP. In exchange for some sweet talk, good rolls, and money, Red Siren might trade you the three Bluegills, one Pumpkinseed, and two Pumpkinseed IIs she took out.

You also have access to their pilots, among them Gretchen, who you can either ransom back or keep as pilots. Your critical seduce during the news broadcast means they won't protest too hard about the pilot life, although Gretchen herself could be difficult. They're viewing Auditorium and the beach as one big vacation.
>>
>>47413972
Fuck.
>>47413977
She has to paint her harpy bright pink?
>>
>>47414000
I say we keep Gretchen and have her keep doing her show so we can earn some great pr, lets keep the pumpkin seeds and try and get Siren's, and did you ever give us the cp for the Sulieman battles?
>>
>>47414000
I say we keep the mechs and ransom gretchen. Maybe the other pilots as well depending on how much they are worth.
>>
>>47414000
I'd say scrap the Bluegills, the pumpkinseeds, and all but one of the Pumpkinseed IIs for CP and research. The extra pumpkin seed II we try and reverse engineer that shield it has along with the beam weaponry.

We keep gretchin and the rest around as 'hostages', taking a show during the big exchange for Fatima to keep a quite viewing of this event. Multiple viewpoints will work well against double crossing.
>>
>>47414011
No, Richard has to paint her Harpy bright pink.

She has to paint our Harpy. That we only just bought. Just for her to paint. IT'LL BE JUST LIKE OLD TIMES HUH MILES~

Then, Mohammad will disassemble it, piece by piece, organizing and cataloging them in reverse alphabetical order.

Then, Yoritomo will have to attempt to reassemble it.

That's kind of pointlessly humiliating.
>>
File: Corporal Blanchett fingerbite.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Corporal Blanchett fingerbite.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
"You are both complete and utter idiots. If this happens again, I'm coming up with extremely humiliating punishments for you both. I know you probably will do it again, so as we speak I'm coming up with things. Starting a fight when they came here to negotiate is an awful idea. At least they still think Samantha is a hostage, right?"

"Yes, they do." The Corporal spreads out her towel and lays next to you on the sand, cuddling in close, "I don't think they know I'm here willingly...and to tell the truth, you're being a little too hard on them. Tell me, what would you have done if this had happened when you weren't busy canoodling?"

"I would have gone out there and dealt with it myself, obviously." You grunt, not seeing her point.

"Mhmm. Doesn't that seem like the perfect time for them to set off a trap, if they have one prepared?" She winks at you, "With you and my brother both present?"

You look silently at her, suddenly guessing where she's been for the past while...piloting the S-Betta and making sure nothing went wrong.

"Oda thinks we can trust them." She continues, then frowns, "Roarke, are you thinking about giving me back?"

>[What say?]
>>
>>47414047

Yes. You maxed out the amount of CP you can get from Harpies, and you opted to keep the Morgan II, Warmouth, and Tarrasque, remember? As for their ships, the Rhinehawk is upgraded now, it's officially a Medium Weight Cruiser.
>>
>>47414171
>"Nope. Sorry, but you're stuck here. I... kinda am considering trying to recruit the lot of them, though. I think I might have a problem."
>>
>>47414171
>You said you wanted to go back so you could try and convince your friends to come and join us
>>
>>47414206
Seems sensible enough.
>>
>>47414171
>"Only if you want to go back. Do you?"
>>
>>47414195
>>47414206
Combine these two?
>"Nope, you're stuck with us. Wanna help me recruit the lot of them though?"

I kinda hope Yoritomo makes a Pokemon or Suikoden joke about our need to recruit erryone.
>>
>>47414171
It's a tough situation. Can't push them too far since you being captured is why your brother is free. Don't want them to get reckless, and if this thing is a trap, its a trap for everyone including you.

Could do the negotiations in the form of helping us take down the green skulls with some money thrown in as a way to keep them off their toes. That way, you have time to talk to your brother, we have more people to deal with the skulls, and any fishy business becomes that much tougher if they try anything during a joint mission.
>>
>>47414280
The Green Skulls are most likely in the pocket of Hamon and she will immediately 86 that idea
>>
>>47414318
And thats the point. It's a reasonable enough plan to the others. Deal with a threat as Fairchild said needs to be removed and soften the pirates as well. Not only that, it gives the crew experience.

If she outright goes against it, it would seem off.
>>
>>47414402
It wouldn't seem that off since she would probably justify it by saying if they did it would only make the Kestrel's stronger and harder to crush later
>>
>>47414171
Yes. Go back and this time instead of you, send best girl.
>>
I say send Sam back, if only to prevent unessesary conflict arising from misunderstandings.
>>
Is it too late to hope for as punishment we dress up Oda as Sam and trade him instead?
>>
Things we still have to do

Talk to Clemmy about the other girls

Get another mixtape

Have Karen and Avi research possible opponents on space 4chan

Figure out who slept with us

Train
>>
>>47414509
That seems like it might needlessly antagonize the people with the battleship capable of wrecking our faces.
>>
>>47414539
Most likely but I can't help but want to see how funny it would be for Oda to impersonate Sam.
>>
>>47414626
Keep that for extra content the girls would put in a comedy doujin. Speakin of, think Caeser's girl is squealing over 1 half of her favorite doujin being in her hands?
>>
>>47414681
Could be, think she might start grilling poor Mohammad to see if any of it is true?
>>
File: Corporal Blanchett 3.png (93 KB, 283x271) Image search: [Google]
Corporal Blanchett 3.png
93 KB, 283x271
You're still wondering about who cuddled with you the other night. You asked Karen, but she says she fell asleep working on some new schematics. She's trying to adapt the Tarrasque's shield somewhat to the Knuckle Kaiser. You asked Samantha, and she said you would have known it was her, implied lewd things without saying them, and then told you that she spent the night reading in her room.

"Nope, you're stuck with us. Want to help me recruit the lot of them, though?" You wink at her.

She covers her mouth to hide her smile, "Yes. At least temporarily. I'm not going back, so any negotiations are just a sham...although if it comes to it and you think it's safe, I could always go back and then blow my cover by running off with the S-Betta again. Only if you think it's safe, though. Even if I wasn't...even if I didn't..." She blushes, "Even if I didn't have feelings for a certain charming and handsome Admiral, the UJCIDF isn't a safe place for someone who knows too much right now. And even with that aside...without me, do you know how bad the civil war between Red Siren and Karen would be? I shudder to think of the terror of Mecha-Karen stomping around Auditorium, shooting beam cannons from her eyes and threatening to throw Red Siren into the sun. I shudder more to think of what Red Siren would do to cause this catastrophe in the first place." She shudders intentionally, then frowns, "Roarke! You don't have sunscreen on!"

"I don't burn and the sunlight is artificial!" You insist.

She takes out a tube of lotion anyway, "Yes you do, and it doesn't matter, a sunburn is a sunburn. Hold still."

"The genki ojou-sama futanari is right, aniki." Yoritomo nods.

Samantha gives him a very harsh look, "Futanari?" It's an even harsher look coming from her. She starts gathering cupped sand in her palms and dumping it onto his little holographic image until it's buried. Her voice is as sweet and polite as always as she continues speaking to you.

[Continued]
>>
>>47414681

Perhaps, but it's definitely less now than it was before she captured Caesar.
>>
>>47414681
>even now Mohammad is enduring pointed questions from half of the crew about his and his Admiral's sexualities
Truly a vile and heinous torture.
>>
>>47414765
True, until she starts grilling him in that sort of way and he simply blushes and goes "B-but that's haram.."
>>
>>47414755
>do you know how bad the civil war between Red Siren and Karen would be?
That Civil War will be nothing when Clemmy finds out that there are other girls and begins her quest for dominance of the pack.
I'm fairly sure she'll murder people with her best girl mug if she has to.
>>
>>47414783
I get the feeling moe isnt the kind of guy who stutters.
>>
File: 1443498683136.png (324 KB, 1081x720) Image search: [Google]
1443498683136.png
324 KB, 1081x720
>>47414777
>tfw he can't hold out and yells out THE ADMIRAL LOVES SAMANTHA AND THEY DO IT EVERY NIGHT.
>tfw the entire crew of the Jaburo is snickering when Roarke goes to negotiate
>tfw Caesar asks if Samantha needs a cushion to sit down on and Pierre punches him
>>
>>47414777
You did this to him anon. You could've stopped it.
>>
>>47414807
We should probably try and talk to her since she did see the recording with Siren and Gretchen
>>
>>47414820

This isn't 100% impossible.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d10)

>>47414875
Moe truly is the shittiest of shits.
>>
>>47414886
We need to teach Moe how to keep his mouth shut he already sort of told Caesar
>>
>>47414901
Setsuna gives no fucks unless you're teaching him how to be a gundam.
>>
>>47414886

What's so bad about that? Are you embarrassed about engaging in the sacred pasttime of trap-springing?
>>
>>47414925
He's giving in to torture.

That's the sign of a shit-tier comrade, friend.
>>
>>47414945
No, that's the sign of a human. Everyone breaks under torture.
>>
>>47414945
To be fair, Yorimoto DID send him over there to tell them shit.
It's not Moe's fault Yorimoto didn't specify.
>>
File: Roarke confidence.gif (60 KB, 723x714) Image search: [Google]
Roarke confidence.gif
60 KB, 723x714
"Roarke, I could always go back, free Mohammed, and get the two of us out of there if things break down completely...but hopefully it won't come to that. I'm not a strategist or anything, but I just want to talk to my brother and let him know what's happening and see if he's willing to join us. The reason I helped these idiots out is because I believe that if you had openly gone to meet with my brother, something bad would have happened. Weird problems happened even without you showing up, after all, and we know someone is being sneaky behind the scenes. Killing both you and Pierre would be the perfect way to guarantee a war between the Iron Kestrels and UJCIDF. So I gave Mohammed a message for my brother in case he lost. Hopefully he delivers it when they're alone. If he'd won, I could have talked to my apparent replacement in person, convinced him, and had him go back to Pierre to do the same thing." She sighs heavily, "They had to have Rudolph Merrow's son on the squad? This is terrible, I feel like I've been replaced by someone better." She pouts as she rubs lotion onto your back, humming 'Killer Queen'.

"Not true." You reply. "That's just the best they could do to make up for not having you around."

>[So, what do you want to do now that you're Roarke again and back in command?]
>>
>>47414963
To be fair, its only been like a couple hours.
>>
>>47414992
A couple of hours of kycilla SQUEEEing all over him. If he's still sane he's superman.
>>
>>47414985
Sing a few lines of Killer Queen with Sam before getting shit together for Sam to go back and shit. After a last minute fucking.
>>
>>47414969
Not that Sam isn't our hostage and this is all a shame to scam the government

>>47414985
Enjoy a little time on the beach until we go to the negotiation maybe buy a new mixtape at one of the music stores
>>
>>47414985
Fly up there and see what the deal is.
>>47415013
>>47415015
We have a crew member captured by the fuzz, we really shouldnt be dicking about. Especially when we think someone is trying to double cross both sides.
>>
>>47414985
Well, make sure any tech we have has been looked at. Its obvious that they are starting to pull out the good stuff. Any connections should keep their ears open for green skulls. Prepare for negotiations and also Fatima's exchange in case of complications.
>>
>>47415015
Fuck your mix tapes. It was fine the first time but it's getting annoying now.
>>
>>47415057
amen
>>
>>47415057
Dont you make mixtapes rather than buy them anyway?
>>
>>47415057
Alright, I was only suggesting it since people had been asking for a mixtape. If it really is bothering people then I'll stop bring it up
>>
>>47415164
It'd be fine if you didn't bring them up for every character it seems. Oh new antagonist need a mixtape for them. New female who might join the harem need a mixtape. Not everyone needs a fucking mixtape.
>>
>>47415013
>>47415015

The details of how, precisely, you want to do the negotiations are entirely up to you. The UJCIDF made its first sally, and by rights the second is up to you. The more you plan it out, the less wriggle room I have to make things go terribly, awfully, hilariously wrong, after all~

It is good to play with fa/tg/uys, people who don't just buy a ten-foot pole to take into the dungeon with them but buy a ladder because it can be broken down into two ten-foot poles. You fellows play back, and that's splendid.
>>
>>47415195
I was only going to do it for Roarke but then people wanted one for Caesar since he was a pc and then they wanted to give them as gifts to other people
>>
>>47415006

You're making me want to do a Metal Gear Mohammed interlude.
>>
>>47415212
For the negotiations lets ask for something really unrealistic to start off and then work our way down
>>
>>47415212
Well, in general we could go for neutral ground and a open calling. Make a show of it to grab attentin but also to show we have nothing to hide. Then escort them to the ground and allow the Brother to see his sister while we chat with the ship captain and pilot. Be civil, but play the dashing rogue. Being TOO nice would make them suspect too much. Barter, banter, play it up, but always look reasonable.
>>
>>47415212
Best outcome for darth fairy would probably be the Jaburo, all pirate ships and auditorium destroyed in an orgy of violence, with a few ujcidf survivors left to tell the tale.

Things she has to accomplish that:stealth tech, some sort of supercannon that can gut colonies, the green skulls, whatever unit is so far gone that they follow her genocidal orders.

Is there interdictor tech which stops ships from jumping out?

For the actual negotiations, the biggest threat would be stealth units dropping off high yield weapons on ships and mechs to kill them from surprise. I honestly can't think of a counter to that with our available forces. Is it possible to set up a cloud of smoke or metal particles or something in a large enough area to give warning of a stealth unit approaching?

The best idea i can come up with is to host the talks in the colony, but to set up a spray system at the hanger which dumps out some sort of easy to clean foam whenever the doors are opened. If you see two mech silouettes when there should only be one, there's your infiltrator.

Forces jumping out to just blow everyone up without stealth can be handled by just running away, so i don't think that's the bad guy's plan.
>>
>>47415370
Sam orr Karen might have an idea of how to detect stealth units or at least some of the kinks in the system we can try and exploit
>>
>>47415281
>Say, that's a mighty fine Wels-class Battleship you have there? Did the UJCIDF really gift this for Sam's release? You shouldn't have.
>>
Lets have Gretchen do a piece on the negotiations and some interviews of key people so that if anything happens she'll get some recording of things which make make Hamon decide to not attack
>>
The following are just questions for clarification, not criticism of your fine plans.

>>47415045
>Fly up there and see what the deal is.

You would need to decide who to bring with you.

>>47415281
>>47415434

Ah, classic Art of the Deal. Very good, I can work with this. The Jaburo itself is quite ludicrous and fits well with the joke you made on QTPI News (to the anon who went I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE with that name, Gretchen herself chose it and is inordinately proud of it) about wanting a Wels-class Battleship in trade. Such a mighty machine would truly be worthy of a pirate admiral.

>>47415321

What would you consider neutral ground? Would you be chatting in person, via vidcomm from the Knuckle Kaiser, or via vidcomm from the Rhinehawk?

>>47415370

Your logic is very good. Unfortunately, interdictor technology doesn't exist...mostly. You see, a gate can only open onto void. If something is already there, even something like gas or chaff, it will simply fail to work. This is why you don't have superweapons based around creating massive gates and teleporting asteroids right into the hearts of colonies and starships. The spray system is quite clever, although according to Samantha the S-Betta is unique and the Anon in the last thread who said it would take time to make another stealth mech whose protection was so absurdly thorough was quite correct going off Roarke's mech knowledge (see, Mecha Tech IS useful even when you aren't using it to make things). The S-Betta itself can't be detected even with an ASP or Spotting Radar, which is the only reason why Caesar's ASP wasn't picking up the heat trails left in its wake.

The real question is, will a UJCIDF Colonel agree to talks away from her heavily armed and armored battleship in what is most definitely, for her, enemy territory?
>>
>>47415485

Yes. Bringing Gretchen along is good.

>Captcha text: Thru Abbie

Oh Roarke, despoiling Abbie too? Poor girl, she was a loyal UJCIDF pilot such a short time ago.
>>
>>47415577
I would rather we did it in the Kaiser so were a little more protected then we would be if we did it in person
>>
>>47415577
Can we relocate to california station for negotiations? Or are there ujcidf forces still around?

Make it a show if it's a viable neutral ground. Have gretchen constantly streaming video about it, have a stream of your own and tell the military guys they should have one as well. Shining a spotlight on it is probably our best defense.
>>
>>47415577
Neutral ground would be a spot of relative safety. The Kaiser would work for the initial discussion. Any desire to see Sam is healthy can be done by inviting a small number of people to auditorium with some people checking in on Moe to make sure he's ok.

Either side trying to take the other side hostage would just make things awkward and difficult for everyone and add nothing to the negotiations. Could even do a video com with the captain.

Of course, if such a thing doesn't work, video feed between the two groups using some of the video equipment could also work. Would provide both video evidence and a means to talk comfortably for everyone without worrying about the other mess ups.
>>
>>47415661

Roarke doesn't know that, but Caesar is aware that, yes, there are. Lysa's concert is over by now, but the Cincinnatus is still docked.
>>
>>47415792
If we take the negotiation we should bring Siren and her crew with us since I have the feeling their going to get attacked if we leave them alone
>>
>>47415808

The entire population of her colony? Red Siren has upwards of a thousand people on her crew. However, the vast majority of them aren't pilots or even proper pirates, just S-Pop fans who say she did nothing wrong and work on Auditorium. This isn't counting visiting fans and hostages.
>>
>>47415839
I was thinking more the mech pilots but that would just leave the colony undefended
>>
>>47415839
How long does it take before a ship that's just completed a jump can fire weapons? How accurate can jumps be? What's the smallest platform that can mount a FTL transmitter?
>>
So, unless I'm reading this wrong, the general view of the options that wouldn't hilariously unbalance one side or another is that you want to meet in space, in mecha, with vidfeed going both ways so that you can see Mohammed and Colonel Hatsheput and Soul A can see Samantha?

Tell me if you wholeheartedly object to this.
>>
>>47415889
If they're unlikely to mount stealth as good as the Betta, then the biggest threat would be haman jumping out her colony killer weapon that's already primed and ready to fire, aimed at our starships. Probably coupled with some sort of sabotage on the Jaburo so it's neutralized. After that it's just a cleanup operation, since no one can jump away. And we really don't have a counter to that, so that plan seems as good as any.
>>
>>47415882

It takes a turn for it to exit the gate and can fire on the next turn. Jumps are, generally, quite accurate and the biggest hindrance to tactical jump use is the twenty-four hour cooldown (the same for big ships with more power but requiring a larger gate and little ships with less power and less mass to move therefore not needing such a large gate). The smallest platform currently capable of gate projection is a Superlight personnel transport ship. You're not technically moving faster than light, though, you're creating a portal essentially.
>>
>>47415889
Probably the best option for the initial encounter. If there was any funny business, both sides would be cautious to begin with when it comes to personnel. Likewise it would allow quick action incase someone wants to interrupt.
>>
>>47415926
By FTL transmitter I was talking about their communications system. But yeah, scry and die seems to be a valid tactic in this universe, so i'm not sure how anyone ever feels safe.
>>
>>47415955
It's a hit and miss thing from my perspective. Yes, you COULD ambush the enemy, but if they haven't teleported, they could nope out of there and leave you stranded. Spending a day or two out of range to move into range of the target position to keep that EVAC button ready is a good idea.
>>
>>47415955

Oh. That. Actually, it's not as bad as all that. Colonies have an ansible for FTL transmission, generally, and there are free-floating armored ansible satellites scattered around parts of the Belt where ships commonly stop to recharge before their next jump so that they can call for help if necessary. A ship on its own generally doesn't have the power required for a personal ansible, which is big enough to take up at least one space on a starship. An Arapaima would have one, but an Arapaima is essentially a huge, slow-moving floating base of a starship.

You could, indeed, open up a gate and just peek through it rather than traveling through, to get an idea of what's on the other side. However, this would be easy for a colony, ship, or even a mech with an ASP to detect and you would have to wait 24 hours to open the gate again if you decided you wanted to go through.
>>
>>47416035
Yeah, but imagine like 3 wels class ships all jumping in on a single target. EIther that target jumps within 10 seconds of that event, or the target dies. Even if they do jump, they then strand whoever they had outside the ship, which in a case like we have here, would be almost perfect for haman. She kills the captain she hates, his ship is still out there to point to as a threat, auditorium gets blowd up and everyone thinks pirates are a Clear and Present Danger to the solar system.
>>
>>47416062
unrelated question: are there any other player in the solar system besides earth, luna, Mars, and the Jovien's ?
>>
>>47416062
Ah, so the jaburo can't send back the tactical situation to the rest of the military.

Why don't they have AWACS ships? Equip them with an ansible, lots of sensors and comms, and send them along with any sufficiently large independent fleet to be a comms relay?

If something really nasty shows up to kill that fleet, you can get reinforcements popping out in perfect firing positions in a very short timeframe.
>>
>>47416102

There are mining colonies on the outer planets, but they're mostly in the Jovian sphere of influence or owned by Lunar or Martian corporations. Venus is something of a vacation world

>>47416083

How would they know where that target is, though? It works well on a stationary target, but a stationary target can't run away in the first place. General Fairchild can't see what's going on unless she opens a gate to Auditorium and looks through it, in which case you would know about it. Such an ambush would have to be done blind.

A non-micro gate, one of the big ones used to transport fleets to other systems, has to be opened far away from anything else because the ripples it creates when you send mass through it are both hugely obvious and can damage things like nearby ships and satellites.
>>
>>47416160
I had assumed the jaburo could send back real-time data on the positions of everything nearby, which would allow other ships to set their gate-out coordinates appropriately.
>>
>>47416134

That's one of the functions of an Arapaima, which is also large enough that it can't just be targeted first and quickly brought down by an enemy fleet.

There's also a propaganda reason. A Wels-class is a flying castle equipped with massive weapons batteries. One is considered more than sufficient to quell a colony revolt, a handful of them are generally enough to conquer a planet via bombarding major population centers with the Superheavy battery. If you send more than one somewhere, you have to justify it.
>>
>>47416195
So, hypothetically, a Wels could gut a colony with its main guns?
>>
>>47416195
But if an ansible only takes one starship module, why don't they make small ships to mount them and act as escorts for something as expensive as a wels? A dedicated communications vessel to keep command up to date on what's happening with their golden turkeys.
>>
>>47416195
Wait, how come conventional radio transmissions arent a thing? Sure they might not be instatnt but they'll be a few hours behind at worst. Its still the inside of the solar system we:re talking about.

Or did I miss something?
>>
>>47416195
Well, it gives plenty to chew on, so let's continue on to the negotiations or we will be here all night.
>>
>>47416214
because the small ship would be a target and the MIGHTY WELS does not need a baby sitter or backup because THE MIGHTY WELS IS FUCKING INVINCIBLE!
or so says the UJCIDF recruiter
>>
>>47416214

Don't get me wrong. It's a good idea, and the UJCIDF has likely thought of it. However, there are two things to take into consideration as far as military actions within the Solar System go.

First, consider that the Bluegill and Pumpkinseed are viewed as deadly and lethal foes to your average space pirate, who would NOPE away from a Wels in the first place. In this era, in the Solar System, it simply hasn't been necessary up until now to send a Wels AND something else. The second thing to consider is that outside the Solar System, where it would be more necessary, they send an Arapaima and several other ships anyway. The Wels is a cost-saving measure, in part, because it has most of the firepower of a Goonch-class gunship with a more significant mecha complement and a defensive screen for survivability. It's expected to be able to operate alone. If a problem arises that 130 UJCIDF mecha and batteries of that size can't handle, inside the Solar System, it would be an event to shake the foundations of the Jovian Colonies and result in an intensive rewriting of their strategy. Remember that the Rhinehawk and Yamato, which are much smaller, are both viewed as powerful pirate vessels and their Captains took a great deal of pride in them, while the legendary Green Skulls have five ships whose flagship is a Light Heavy.
>>
>>47416297
It's a glorified telephone, not a babysitter.
>>
>>47416212

A truly excellent question. You would have to ask a specialist, it hasn't exactly been done often enough (particularly in the Solar System) for the results to be well known.
>>
>>47416361
These are the same people who make a mech worse than the pirate version so they can sell a more expensive one.
>>
>>47416263
A 1:1 Scale Superheavy Sensor Systems has a communication range of 5000 km (Megaheavies have 'Planetary (Moons & Near Orbit)', but I'm going with the largest one there's a defined number for). Ship scale (or 100:1 scale) multiplies that by 100 for a maximum theoretical range of 500,000 km.

The average distance between Earth and Mars is 225 million km. Meanwhile, from Mars to the Asteroid Belt is somewhere between 300 and 500 million km.

Going by the mechanics, until ships get far bigger than they currently are, interplanetary communication is simply not possible.
>>
>>47416297

If a Wels has ever been shot down, that information has been suppressed. That's a fact worth noting. Imagine how Americans would react to the Nimitz getting destroyed, then square that.
>>
>>47416391
Except ships are obsolete in modern warfare.
>>
>>47416440
Imagine if they weren't.
>>
>>47416440
You mean ballistic missle platforms and ground support launchers?
>>
>>47416440
>implying the UJCIDF hasn't already developed a weapon to surpass Wels-class
>>
>>47416387

I might make the ansible take up more space in light of this. The problem with putting it on a small ship is that you already need spaces for the engines, the crew, cargo space/additional passenger space, and any weapons it has. You would end up with craft about the Heart of the Sunshine's size being the minimum size to carry an ansible.
>>
>>47416354
Welp, in that case I think roarke's next set of purchases should be an awacs ship w/stealth systems and a bunch of cheap destroyers mounted with as many missiles as they can hold.

Send the awacs ship to give you targetting info, jump in your missile boats and volley fire the shit out of whatever target you're unhappy with. Enough missile boats can kill basically anything.
>>
>>47416354

When we fight the Green Skulls we should try and figure out a way to beat them without destroying their flagship
>>
File: Archenrearview.jpg (42 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
Archenrearview.jpg
42 KB, 576x432
It takes hours to hash out the details of just meeting to negotiate over the comms. Hours of "But why can't we do it on the Jaburo? I'll make tea and cookies" and "No, no, we should meet on Auditorium, where I can take you and your prettiest bridge officers to a nice restaurant."

It's incredibly frustrating. You were actually hoping this was the Cincinnatus and that you would be speaking with Colonel Stern again. No such luck. Instead, you have some woman who doesn't at all fit your mental image of a Colonel aside from her rank insignia and a helmet that you suppose is meant to look somewhat menacing trying to bribe you with pastries.

Fortunately, you have time for stress relief. Your so-called prisoner is very good at that, even if she doesn't pretend to be a maiden in distress very well after the first few minutes. You worry that the noises she makes will reach the bridge where Avi is doing his best to negotiate...helped by the fact that Maya is promising to outdo the Colonel's baking if he does well. Her brownies are simply divine.

Finally, you settle on having the Jaburo move far back enough that it can't menace a neutral strip of space between it and Auditorium with its guns.

>[Who do you want to take with you, and who do you want the Colonel to send as representatives? You can insist she show up in person, in a Warmouth, or have a SOUL machine with a backpack to relay comms back to the Jaburo]
>>
>>47416522
Bring Siren and Oda with us and have her come in the Warmouth with Zangief and Caesar
>>
>>47416489
Space Pirate, not Space Military. War strategies relying on shock and awe don't generally work particularly well when we want to, a) loot shit after; and, b) not harm innocents.

Another thing to note is that Cloaking is best done on small mechs. Being within a distance less than 10 times the height (or length, in this case) of the cloaked machine gives an effective +5 to notice it.
>>
>>47416467
Submarines are used more often as a better alternative for launching ballistic missiles. Ships are just outclassed by alternative vehicles for any job they can provide. I have no idea what you mean by ground support launchers. If you mean hitting fortified targets then air support outclass ships by entering and leaving enemy retaliation range with speed. Otherwise you can use helicopters to give constant support for infantry.
>>
>>47416522
A soul machine with Comms may be best. Likewise, a comm thing for us as well. The brother is obvious along with the swordfish. Oda might be the best option for a wingman since he works well with us. Juuust let us do the talking.
>>
>>47416566
The awacs ships don't need to ever get close to an enemy. Honestly they shouldn't even be armed. Give them sensors, the ansible, enough stealth so that they can see stuff at max range and stuff can't see them back.

And we're still planning on killing the green skulls who have significant forces, having a plan to do the job is a good thing.
>>
>>47416596
We should find some more pirate crews for us to absorb or at least ally with us against the Green Skulls
>>
>>47416478
Space Metal GEAR RAY!!!
>>
>>47416596
A ship with guns would probably be more useful for us at this point really. When our fleet consists of two ships I dont think targeting info is top priority.
>>
>>47416489

The problem with "cheap" and assumedly disposable ships is that such a thing is still quite expensive and no starship-sized stealth systems exist (and would be ungodly expensive if they did). Once your destroyers (I'm assuming you're going with the minimum size needed to fit a multi-missile pack like the Yamato has) have spent their payload, they might have done a significant amount of damage but they will be helpless against whatever survived, and they and the AWACS ship would have twenty four hours before they can retreat.

It would also cost several times what your two existing ships did, and you absolutely would have to pay for them yourself because Red Siren won't loan you transports if they and her crews are going to get put into that kind of danger.
>>
>>47416574
he's talking about air support launched from an aircraft carrier
and submarines are a ship.
>>
>>47416596

The sensors part and lack of stealth is the real problem. Say you gate that AWACS ship out into, let's say, the place where the Green Skulls' remaining ships are at. They would detect the gate opening, and move into optimum position to open fire. By the time you've fired up the ansible and relayed information back to your destroyers, the AWACS is likely destroyed and the Green Skulls would know they're being ambushed and have their fingers on the 'get outta dodge' button.
>>
>>47416663
I mean, it's still a ship. It should have operating endurance that stretches into days at least.

Gate out a day away or so, then creep up on the target.
>>
>>47416574

If you'll pardon my asking, what country are you from? Ship warfare is "obsolete" because nobody else has a prayer of competing with the US Navy in conventional ship battles and Pax Americana is the rule of the day on twenty-first century waters unless Obama is being particularly impotent and ignoring the Russians and Chinese more than usual that day.

Also submarines are ships.
>>
>>47416684
Laser intercept systems also say hi.
>>
>>47416634
How cheap would something actually need to be to be considered disposable?

For instance, if we wanted to have largely disposable drones for a Remote Control System, how much can we afford to throw away per battle?
>>
>>47416677

The target that you are using the AWACS ship to scout for in the first place? I'm not trying to be a dick, but it seems like this whole thought exercise can be summed up as "ways to lose a very expensive prototype vessel" when the UJCIDF already has the perfectly good solution of slapping them on their biggest slab of flying metal and surrounding them with more offensively-oriented ships.

Plus Roarke can't afford any of this.
>>
>>47416703
Its probably influenced by how much we've managed to steal in the past plus money we get from shit were selling
>>
>>47416703

You would want to bring back even a destroyed drone if you could. It varies wildly, but getting a new drone takes about as much time as having an arm replaced. It takes much longer to build them the first time and get their complete data in the Rhinehawk's systems.
>>
>>47416727
>The target that you are using the AWACS ship to scout for in the first place?
Yes? It's a sensor ship. It's mission is to go ahead of the mothership/strike craft, find the target and relay that information back to base so large explosions can happen.
>>
>>47416634
different question from a different poster. how difficult would it be/ would it be feasable to build a small destroyer class vessel with enough guns and armour on it that there is no room for gravity generators? Ala The fletcher class destroyer? which should be classified as a light cruiser.
>>
File: Red Siren cosplaying as Clemmy.jpg (955 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
Red Siren cosplaying as Clemmy.jpg
955 KB, 1000x1414
>>47416522

Still waiting on consensus for this. We have two votes, both virtually opposite aside from wanting Pierre and Caesar along on one side and Oda and Siren on the other.

>Select all images with an auditorium

Oh Captcha.
>>
>>47416797
Red Siren and Oda on one, Pierre and Caesar on the other.
>>
>>47416769
Its just not feasible at this point it would cost so much more money then we have. What we should do now is repair the Warmouth and Morgan and either give them to our aces or find the best two pilots to upgrade
>>
>>47416769
Plan get fucked if someone happened to be on patrol nearby when we jump in. If we know where the guys are to send in the ship we already know where the target is anyway pretty much.
>>
>>47416791
If we had no room for gravity generation its rooms would have to be sideways. and gravity would essentialy be generated by the Thrusters at the back. it would have a max speed of however many Gs a human body can safely handle. sounds interesting surprised no one has built them already.
>>
>>47416828
Space is really, really big. This is unlikely.
>>
>>47416791
That.. would be interesting seeing as the ships rooms would have to be built so that the floor is on one of the walls. and Gravity would need to be provided by the thrusters firing and moving the ship. Can we do it wong?
>>
>>47416769

This is like sending an unarmed man with a whistle to sneak up on a bunch of banditos with guns. Space warfare and naval warfare isn't quite the same.

So you find the target. The target, being a mobile fleet of ships in this instance, fires on you if you're in range and possibly destroys your ultra-costly AWACS vessel. Assuming they have gunships of a similar cost to your proposed fleet, this would very, very likely wipe out the AWACS vessel altogether.

Meanwhile, your destroyers, which are staffed by a small crew because they're meant to be cheap, according to you, have been waiting for over a day for the signal to immediately locate optimum position to warp into and gate, going from "waiting" to "full adrenaline-pumping battle readiness". This would, logically, take well over ten seconds, meaning multiple turns pass before they fold void and get over there. Assuming the enemy fleet hasn't gated away itself, they're very likely to have moved into better formation. Also keep in mind that the one time you've seen missiles used, Oda's helmsman rolled very close to a megacrit and was able to do unusually well taking down the Green Skulls' cruiser's defensive screen in one blow, only one of his ten missiles failed to hit.

Frankly, I'm happy about this. Fuck scry and die combat.
>>
>>47416845
Yeah and ships warping in is really fucking noticeable so they dont need to be sitting right in front of you when you jump in to spot you.
>>
>>47416830
>>47416867

Now Imagine putting Officer armour on them...
>>
File: 1259969524180.png (76 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1259969524180.png
76 KB, 450x450
Consensus is, thus far, on having Oda and Red show up for your side and Caesar and Pierre for the UJCIDF.

Are you and the Colonel showing up in person, or communicating via comms?
>>
>>47416791

...Ships in this game have gravity generators?
>>
>>47416919
Showing up in person that way all the best fighters are ready if something happens
>>
>>47416891

Ships have, already, something better than officer armor. Officer Armor means that it takes 4K or more to reduce Armor SP by 1. Ships require 100K or more to reduce their Armor SP.
>>
>>47416880
>The target, being a mobile fleet of ships in this instance, fires on you if you're in range and possibly destroys your ultra-costly AWACS vessel
Just how terrible are sensors where this is even a thing you have to worry about? Like the superheavy batteries on the wels have an 8k range, are sensors really that pitiful? How does anything find anything else in space if that's the case?
>>
>>47416919
What. Why aren't won't we be there? 3 on 3. Have Sam ready for a swap along with Mohammed. Like a mini vehicle we throw out and it flies like a cute transport towards the other guys. Make sure it has coms though. So they don't suspect a bomb.
>>
>>47416957

Well, for one thing, Sam doesn't want to go back. She wants to talk to her brother.

This is what happens when you sing Killer Queen with traps.
>>
>>47416956

The fact that starship detection ranges far outstrip their weapon ranges is why sneaking up with little missile boats is such a godawful plan. They will see your ansible ship coming unless it pops right up on them inside their weapon range, and they will have ample time to prepare for you gating in reinforcements, which obviates the whole point of the ambush.
>>
>>47416797
I would say a version of this >>47416545 with souls A on one side and the captains on the other.
no prisoners at the negotiations. (meaning Sam in the Betta should be ghosting us)
If we need to sweeten the deal a little, mention the rookie pilots on auditorium
>>
>>47417021
>>47416956

Also the fact that if you gate missile boats within range to fire at the target, the target has a full turn of shooting where the missile boats can't respond. Since these are small, cheap vessels, this initial volley by the enemy would be particularly devastating.
>>
>>47417003
Alright. So no hostages out front. We should likely hang back a bit but keep the commander of the Jaburo ON the ship just in case. I would say using siren as comms for Sam to talk with everyone.
>>
>>47417031
Thats probably better considering were trying to recruit the soul squad
>>
>>47417003
What the shit? Okay fine. Put Sam inside the KK with us then we go negotiate. That way she can talk to her bro. Have them bring Naomi so that we even it out. If the Colonel never went with us the first time then to negotiate then she'll use Caesar as the mouthpiece again.

Gretchen is gonna record this right?
>>
>>47417045
Why hasn't anyone tried suggesting just firing the missiles through the gate?

Or just chucking a bomb through it?
>>
>>47417064
She probably won't record the actual negotiations since its classified info or at least leave out the dialogue
>>
>>47417052
I really cant see caesar joining up. If for no other reason than fear of his dad showing up to beat his ass raw and take him home if he goes pirate.
>>
>>47417074

Because gates are obvious and the damned thing would be shot the fuck down.

I swear to God, continue this conversation and I will houserule whatever I have to do to make this three-point-five edition Dee-and-Dee scry and die faggotry impossible for PCs. It is the stupidest and most ridiculous way to play ever, and relies on the same sort of pure retardation that was expressed a thread or so ago by the Anon going "well the Knuckle Kaiser sucks because all you need is a faster mech with a longer range gun and in muh theorycraft it will be invincible". Jesus Christ, it's the exact opposite of fun.
>>
>>47417117
Wong, calm down, I was making a joke.
>>
>>47417021
This doesn't make any sense.

If the awacs ship can detect them from far away and relay all that info to friends, it's never in danger. Also, why is it suddenly super expensive?

There is no real way to prepare for a huge spike of damage, so as long as you coordinate your gateouts well, they lose whatever heavy hitters are available to them. One ship can only fire twice per turn, right? So the target gets two shots off and then dies.
>>
>>47417077
I don't know we've already planted the seeds a bit all we have to do is keep watering them, he might not turncoat now but eventually he might switch sides
>>
>>47417064

Why would she want to leave Roarke to go back to an organization that probably has a vested interest in killing her for knowing too much? General Fairchild has an excuse to throw her in prison all lined up. By letting Pierre go, she's put the responsibility for leaking Suleiman 1's location to the Iron Kestrels squarely on Samantha's head. A kind, honorable commander would, of course, not be a dick about this and let her go...but General Fairchild is General Fairchild.
>>
>>47417117
Gates that ships make are destroyable?
>>
>>47417140
"Joke"
>>
>>47417117
It's fine Wong. At this point I think a bunch of us are more than willing to continue aside from this guy.

>>47417140
Probably the worst time to do that mate considering the constant rules shenanigans that guy is complaining about. Seriously, instigating this is just causing unneeded stress for everyone.
>>
>>47417074
Because chucking missiles through a gate does not guarantee that you'll hit your target, let alone guarantee a kill. Also, you can't even verify whether your target is at the location. Put an AWACS-dedicated ship simply brings us back to the original problem in the first place.
>>
>>47417117
To be fair if someone can stay outside range of the grapple and still shoot us we are sort of boned. Thats why we roll with our boys instead of on our own.
>>
>>47417140

I'm sorry, man, I lost my cool for a minute there thinking it was some newcomer who genuinely thought ships were that disposable and that they could game the system to do scry-and-die missile instakills without reprisals if they argued hard enough.
>>
>>47417168
You're really going to start this shit right now?
>>
>>47417185
Why in the world wouldn't it? Missiles have tracking systems on them. That's what makes the missiles and not rockets.
>>
>>47417140
It's just prank! Calm down bro! Just a prank! Look there's a camera right there!

>>47417157
That Pirate D too good. Sam needs to in the negotiation though so that Pierre can finally calm down. I was just thinking giving Sam back for Mohammed then Sam does her trick on the Jabroni. After that she can sneak out on her S-Betta if things go sour.
>>
>>47417159
He probably means whatever you send through the gate gets shot.
>>
>>47417213
Because, mechanically, missiles are capable of missing their targets or being foiled by countermeasures.
>>
File: BRTky.jpg (40 KB, 680x511) Image search: [Google]
BRTky.jpg
40 KB, 680x511
>>47417117
> I will houserule whatever

Will you also turn this car right around?
>>
>>47417213
Because>>47417117
>>
>>47417248
So it wouldn't work because of houserules? Ok.
>>
>>47417209
Nah it's cool. I understand what dealing with autism does to people. The person who really is fighting to get gate-combat probably doesn't understand the mechanics. I'm sure most people here don't even have the rulebook despite it being posted before.

Holy shit 4chan stop dying on me.
>>
>>47417242
Nigga he'll pull over and bring out the belt like my Grandad would do.
>>
>>47417255
Missiles already miss often enough without sending them through a portal in space.
>>
File: rapeoclock.jpg (60 KB, 418x455) Image search: [Google]
rapeoclock.jpg
60 KB, 418x455
>>47417267
>>
>>47417255
No. Because Gate-opening creates a hella lot of signals that can't be stealthed or shielded against detection, which makes it easy for anyone half-asleep at the combat bridge to shoot down with the CIWS.
>>
>>47417291
Missiles will miss exactly as if they weren't sent through a portal in space. That's what having guidance means.
>>
File: a calm demeanor.jpg (464 KB, 900x1050) Image search: [Google]
a calm demeanor.jpg
464 KB, 900x1050
Can we please go back to arguing about waifus like we used to?
>>
>>47417319
Is she suffering from altitude sickness? Why are her eyes so weird?
>>
>>47417319
Gretchen is worst girl
>>
>>47417309
So houserules. Ok.
>>
>>47417331
She knows she's a shit-tier waifu.
>>
>>47417331
Space madness.
>>
>>47417318
Not if going through the portal fucks with it. Gates already fuck up satellites if they are too close, what do you think they will do to a smaller more fragile missile?
>>
>>47417318
>>47417255
>>47417236
>>47417213
>>47417212
>>47417335
Why don't people just fight by propelling large asteroids and pieces of space debris through portals?

Instead of using missiles or something, just send out something that will explode into a dense mist of metal shards and chunks with no deceleration because it's space. Like a Flak effect but in space?
>>
>>47417331
She wAnts thoSse

DRAGoN balls..
>>
File: casual wear for planetfall.png (687 KB, 757x1082) Image search: [Google]
casual wear for planetfall.png
687 KB, 757x1082
>>47417331
Overwork and lack of sleep.

We should take her on a proper date somewhere off the ship some time.
>>
File: Karen in a sweater.jpg (517 KB, 807x1118) Image search: [Google]
Karen in a sweater.jpg
517 KB, 807x1118
>>47417319
>>
>>47417353
Why even have it disperse? I mean, sensors are very long range and gates are accurate, so just use it like a sniper rifle, with your awacs ship as a spotter.
>>
>>47417319
Best Waifu hasn't appeared yet
>>
>>47417353
Probably because shooting one big easily avoidable projectile once a day isnt very efficient.
>>
>>47417369
A dense cloud of debris flying at high speed has a smaller chance of all being destroyed by CIWS fire than a single projectile, guided or otherwise.
>>
>>47417353
>>
>>47417378
Once a day per ship. It's basically space artillery.
>>
>>47417381
But will the debris actually do any real damage to the ships?
>>
>>47417381
But if the big projectile is destroyed, then it just turns into a cloud of debris anyway.

If the enemy is going to do that for you, why bother doing it on your own?
>>
File: Warmouth March.jpg (1 MB, 1694x1200) Image search: [Google]
Warmouth March.jpg
1 MB, 1694x1200
Six mecha jet out to meet in neutral space.

You're not surprised that Mohammed lost. The King Swordfish's armor looks a lot less ramshackle than it did during the war years, and the paint job is new, but you'd recognize it anywhere. The thing has been in countless Bahamutcorp commercials, generally flying majestically overhead. The MK. I had a smaller one-handed lance and a shield, but the two-hander suits it better in your opinion. You have a lot of fun going over it with your Target Analyzer and comparing the differences with the original. You're familiar with Mohammed's machine and you see why he thought he could win if he got lucky...but with even odds, you don't like the thought of a Master Harpy playing with the Bahamut flagship Green-Man-Killer.

You can also make a guess at the big red machine floating nearby. The bladelike Grecian crest is more impressive than the smaller mohawk Sergeant Blanchett's old Pumpkinseed sported, and the scarlet colossus is definitely much more imposing.

Hovering between the two of them, the bog-standard bright pink Warmouth looks like a little girl being escorted by her big brothers. Granted, it's the same size as the Archen and Osano-Wo flanking you, but somehow its lack of decoration makes it look smaller and stubbier. Like the Osano-Wo, the pink Warmouth has a comms-boosting backpack on, allowing for vidcomms between the Rhinehawk and Jaburo at this distance.

Now, if only you knew who the kid was who kept repeating "Holy shit holy shit it's the Knuckle Kaiser eeeeeee eeeee holy shit this is so cooooool" over the comms was, until whoever it was realized he was set to hailing frequencies and switched back to ally-only. You're assuming it's some tech on the Jaburo and not Rudolph Merrow's son, who you're picturing as a sort of miniature Colonel Stern because you've never met Merrow Senior in person.
>>
>>47417391
You ever see the episode of Planetes where a single screw going at orbit velocity destroys an entire space shuttle?

Kessler Syndrome is a real, dangerous for a reason.

>>47417378
>Dense mist of debris like a flak cloud
>One big easily avoidable projectile
>>
>>47417381
This is a bullet. A very large bullet, but one nonetheless. Do bullets have to worry about ciws?
>>
>>47417388
So far the biggest fleet we have heard about has five ships. It also means the ships cant travel anywhere for a day.
>>
>>47417418
Interesting I didn't know that, thanks anon
>>
>>47417426
Why would they want to travel? They're space artillery. They have coffee and donuts while waiting for fire missions that happen once a day.
>>
>>47417418
>spot the gate opening
>just move out of the way while it opens
>>
>>47417441
>You have one turn of movement to do that
>it isn't enough
>>
>>47417441
Theoretically you wouldn't have to use a gate. Just shoot a large enough cloud of shit fast enough in the general direction you think they're going to be near.
>>
>>47417438
To see if they actually hit anything? To follow up on attacking the thing they possibly hit? To run away from the guys they shot at and who are now rather angry?
>>
>>47417457
Thats like a one in a billion chance they are going to actually be there though. Never mind if something else happens to move in the way.
>>
>>47417466
That's what spotters and grunts are for. Artillerymen are far more important.
>>
>>47417466
You realize this entire discussion is predicated on AWACS spaceships feeding targetting data in real-time to your offsite artillery, right?
>>
>>47417453
Says you, the gate is still only as wide as a ship, they could easily move that distance in one turn and the cloud wouldnt have time to expand far enough that close.
>>
>>47417412
Damn it Caeser, contain thy nerd gasm.

Well, if we are to speak it is time to hail them and begin the negotiations with some light introductions. Once thats done, we can begin with the initial terms, allow brother to talk to Sammy, and then drope the Whale of a first offer,
>>
>>47417501
Says you.
>>
>>47417489
And people cant see where these gates are originating from? Because if they can your offsite artillary cant exactly retreat.
>>47417478
Not when your artillery only has one shot.
>>
>>47417335

CIWS being able to shoot down missiles is actually not a houserule. It's right there in the rulebook. Just like the part about how smart missiles are much, much more expensive because of the workarounds needed to avoid having the A-Particle bottle keeping the fusion reactor of a mech contained fuck up their tracking systems.

>>47417382

Supplementary point.

A ship's microgate is insufficient in both size and the amount of time it exists for to move an asteroid. It materializes directly in front of the ship's nose, and doing THAT is viewed as a modern technological miracle. You could hypothetically throw an asteroid through one of the huge fleet-sized gates a major planet has, but those aren't known for pinpoint accuracy and anything an asteroid could destroy a fleet could destroy with more precision and less humbug with dragging the rock to the gate in the first place.

All of this is irrelevant because the poster in question is not serious. He is Bruce Kelly, the Renegade Terran, last of an ancient and despicable people.
>>
>>47417533
>All of this is irrelevant because the poster in question is not serious. He is Bruce Kelly, the Renegade Terran, last of an ancient and despicable people.

Oh god, has he escaped through the 4th wall of his cell?

IS HE HERE RIGHT NOW!?
>>
>>47417533
I find it amusing that you're dismissing this poster when you've been forced to resort to houseruling to make sure scry and die doesn't happen.
>>
>>47417382

Supplementary note, god bless the Imperium of Man for delivering the best laughs. I lost my sides at the blue chair.
>>
>>47417489

And we've already discussed why AWACS spaceships are an awful idea and will never exist in this setting.
>>
>>47417533
>>47417548
>>47417554
I'm the one who posted the Asteroid question.

I just hate the very idea of "Space Combat" because of how completely divorced from any sort of reality or cool-factor it is, in any sense of either of those terms. It is almost enough to suck the enjoyment out of fighting robots.

Fight on the ground or die to an errant woodscrew that accidentally hits your ship, damnit.

Space combat makes even giant robots look plausible.
>>
>>47417586
>1800's Old Guard Captain scoffing at the idea of airplanes in warfare.jpg
>>
>>47417554

Nope. I've said, and maintain, that in the unlikely event that I'm wrong I will houserule it. If you don't like it, there are other quests.

Damn it Bruce Kelly you have better things to do than this.
>>
>>47417586
Well I am sorry anon but I think you may be in the wrong thread right now because about 90% of our fights have happened in space.
>>
>>47417586
Here you go, autist-kun. Read up about space combat that could exist in the real world.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php
>>
>>47417586
Well then this is not the place for you I'm afraid since this is a SPACE pirate quest.

Seriously, all you lot are doing is filling the thread and wasting time for no reason. I want to continue the quest and negotiations, not get into a rules lawyer showdown.
>>
>>47417603
Can ships mount ansibles?
Can ships target their jumpgates based on information fed through an ansible?

You've already answered yes to both of these before, so you should probably get on those houserules.
>>
>>47417606
The first bit is also a good indication of why sending out space AWACS on its own is a poor idea.
>>
>>47417586
You're just upset because we haven't see any of the cool upgrades like the Bioenergy Power Plant or the T̶r̶a̶n̶s̶-̶A̶m̶ Turbocharger yet.
>>
>how to win at space combat ft. autism

>open a warp gate

>accelerate screws or other objects too small to detect effectively to relativistic speeds with like, an air cannon or something I don't fucking know

>through the gate

>towards hostiles

>le Jim Profit
>>
File: 1463896056285.jpg (135 KB, 352x650) Image search: [Google]
1463896056285.jpg
135 KB, 352x650
>>47417655
Jim is the hero we need, but don't deserve.
>>
>>47417631

Your stupid AWACS ship idea was shot down harder than an AWACS ship with no weapons would be. Wong doesn't need houserules when he's already answered why it's a dumb idea. Your whole plan was predicated on stealth ships that don't exist anyway, wasn't it?
>>
>>47417655
To be fair, that's closest to how actual "space combat" would actually be, minus the warp gates.

Because Humans will never invent or discover any way to break, bypass or circumvent the speed of light.
>>
>>47417674
Except none of his answers have ever made sense. First it was a bad idea because they'd get shot down instantly. Then it was a bad idea because they couldn't get shot down because sensor ranges were so long that the bad guys would have time to prepare. I don't think he understood what he was saying, honestly.
>>
>>47417677
Alcubierre drive says hi.
>>
>>47417677
>Because Humans will never invent or discover any way to break, bypass or circumvent the speed of light.

Better question, why are you fighting in space, the single most dangerous place to fight for literally anything? I'm sure everything in space would rather land and shoot the fuck out of each other rather than blow each other up in space.
>>
>>47417702
Once you get to high enough energy densities, whether you fight on a planet or not really doesn't make much difference.
>>
>>47417683
Either you come in too close and you get shot down or you come in too far away and they spot you. Not rocket science anon.

Even if you snuck your ship close with no one the wiser the minute you start scanning them they are going to be able to notice that shit, even if they dont see the ship.
>>
>>47417715
It stops MAD if you aren't shooting at each other in space.
>>
File: swords.jpg (54 KB, 725x424) Image search: [Google]
swords.jpg
54 KB, 725x424
Why don't they just get rid of all the ships and satellites and stuff and just use the metal to make lots of giant swords to give to mechs? So each mech has like, 10-20 swords? They can throw the swords in front of them and then have like 4 or 5 left to hit stuff with the swords.

Personally I find my "Lots of Swords for every mech" idea to be completely flawless.

In fact, my "Every Mech an Arsenal" plan is the only chance this quest's got against the threat of autists.
>>
>>47417727
>they spot you
And you spot them. Which is the entire purpose of your ship. Then you relay their coordinates to your buddies with guns.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (58 KB, 563x601) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
58 KB, 563x601
>>47417683
>>
>>47417746
If you know where they are so you can jump in your AWACS ship to scan them in the first place you already know their coordinates.
>>
>>47417742
Isnt that basically setsunas mech at the end of 00?
>>
>>47417772
Not really. The awacs ship gives you a much more precise picture of the prospective battlefield. The entire point is to have your alpha strike appear within firing range of the target. Just jumping in randomly doesn't guarantee that.
>>
>>47417746
>so now that they know you are here, you have your boys pop in through a gate

>without the element of surprise every ship opens fire on the gate your homeboys are coming through and are instantly eviscerated

So yeah, good assisted suicide, anon.
>>
>>47417746

If they can move around and detect your gates, though, and you are firing through those gates, what stops them from just...firing back?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.