[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Black_guy_nigger.jpg (37 KB, 475x589) Image search: [Google]
Black_guy_nigger.jpg
37 KB, 475x589
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old adventure module: >>47356515
>>
Hello guys I had an idea for a new cantrip please rate

Create Hunting Trap

Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a trap on ground that you can see within range. The trap is affixed by a heavy chain to an immobile object, such as a tree or a spike driven into the ground. A creature that steps on the trap must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d4 piercing damage and stops moving. Thereafter, until the creature breaks free of the trap, its movement is limited by the length of the chain (typically 3 feet long) A creature can use its action to make a Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Each failed check deals 1 piercing damage to the trapped creature.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).
>>
File: Stool.png (155 KB, 452x496) Image search: [Google]
Stool.png
155 KB, 452x496
xth for the best character in OOTA
>>
>>47376608
Needs to be a bonus action.
>>
>>47376608
Overpowered, you fucking munchkin powergamer piece of shit get of my table REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Dungeon Master's Guide, page 60:

>Arborea is home to many elves and elven deities. Elves born on this plane have the celestial type and are wild at heart, ready to battle evil in a heartbeat. Otherwise, they look and behave like normal elves.

Arborean elves with the celestial type are completely valid as a PC race, right?
>>
>posting in this thread with this OP

You have zero shame.
>>
>>47376672
Probably not.

>>47376675
Look who's talking.
>>
>>47376672
>with the celestial type

no. with normal typing yes
>>
>>47376608
Creating mechanical devices needs to be of a higher level than that.
>>
>>47376608
Also you missed an opportunity by including a material component and having it be a bear trap
>>
>>47376672
Aasimar are not celestial type as well. Neither are Tieflings fiends or Dragonborn dragons. Humanoids, every single one.
>>
>>47376608

Absolute garbage. A cantrip should NOT be able to deal 4d4 damage especially in a low-powered system like 5e. Do you guys get off on creating broken spells or something? Here's the deal, you play the spells that Wizards of the Coast made, and balanced, for you to play with. Got it? None of this powergaming homebrew crap.
>>
>>47376695
>>47376752
Where does it say "PC races MUST be humanoid"?
>>
>>47376814
It prevents certain spells and abilities from getting all weird. Stuff like Forbiddence for example.
>>
>>47376789
Kek
>>
>>47376624

I loved Stool. I kept him alive and he was a fun little bastard.

Topsy and Turvy were shit in comparison.
>>
>>47376814
alright so you want to play a race that has all the advantages and charateristics of an elf, but also is a celestial

what's the point of the regular elf then? why would anyone choose humanoid elf when you could be celestial instead

also if aasimar aren't celestial then why should you be
>>
Reposting because I was blind and didn't see there was a new thread.

>>47376556
Ironically enough, considering the second half of your post, Magic Iniate is great for martials. Rogues get a lot of mileage out of Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade, and classes with lots of attacks such as Fighters and Monks will no doubt benefit from Hex. Plus you can gain a lot from several utility cantrips.
>>
>>47376789
>and balanced

ahahahaha
>>
>>47376859
I'm DMing it. The only character I really struggled to do anything with was Eldeth, because she doesn't really have anything going for her other than "somewhat racist Dwarf" when the party has a Ranger. Once they got to Gauntlgrym I found her a niche though.

Topsy and Turvy had a kinda sad conclusion for us, the party didn't have Remove Curse and only found one scroll of it. So they had to pick one and cure them. Now they live apart on the opposite sides of the tensions between the Wererats and the Deep Gnomes. It was a bittersweet note in what was generally a great victory for the party in Blingdenstone.
>>
Seriously, what the fuck is this thread?
>>
>>47377043
5th Edition D&D general.
>>
>>47376672
The only requirement for a race to be considered valid as a PC race is to have written racial traits. Arborean Elves do not have that, so they are not valid as a PC race.
>>
>dumb asshole trolling /5eg/
>easily recognisable by his file name format
>makes a retarded OP
>you all post in it
>>47377126
>>47377126
>>47377126
>>
>>47377185
nobody cares
>>
>>47376672
With DM permission, sure. Just keep in mind that, as a Celestial creature, you have certain weaknesses that your Humanoid companions wouldn't (like being banished back to Arborea, or detected/harmed by certain class features).
>>
>>47376894
>what's the point of the regular elf then? why would anyone choose humanoid elf when you could be celestial instead
Because they don't want to be able to be banished from the material plane by some guy who knows how to wiggle his fingers and speak some gibberish?
>>
>>47377200
Fuck off and die.
>>
>>47377293
why are you so mad
>>
>>47377244
>>47377199
(>>47377144)
First of all, nice trips guys.

Second of all, dropping the weapon to reload the hand crossbow because Crossbow Expert doesn't turn your crossbow into a semi-automatic. You still need to load the ammunition into it. On the first turn it will already be loaded, but on subsequent turns, my turn will be starting with the crossbow unloaded. Crossbow expert makes crossbow firing analogous to bow-firing: draw arrow, knock arrow, pull back and shoot; draw bolt, load bolt, shoot.
>>
>>47377185
I'm the guy arguing with the retarded rules lawyer, and I agree with him. This thread is as good as any.

And making fun of niggers is a bonus.
>>
>>47377365
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
>you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
>loaded
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Crossbow-Expert.png (271 KB, 445x246) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Crossbow-Expert.png
271 KB, 445x246
>>47377436
You have added no new information to the discussion. I've acknowledged that the bow has to be loaded. That's why it is being loaded after dropping the rapier.
>>
>>47377481
How are you getting to make a bonus action attack with it? The feat only allows to make the bonus action attack if the hand crossbow is already loaded when you make your regular attack.
>>
>>47377536
Loading the crossbow is not an action of any kind, so you can load it between the Attack action and the bonus action.
>>
>>47376624
>just started OotA yesterday
Stool is my boy.
>>
>>47377536
It doesn't say that the handcrossbow needs to be loaded when you make the attack, it says that the bonus action attack can be made with a hand crossbow if an attack action is made with a onehanded weapon beforehand on the same turn.
>>
>>47376624
Stool is the best NPC in OotA, Especially when he becomes a scimitar wielding monk.
>>
>>47377614
Why would it specify "loaded hand crossbow" unless it had to be loaded before you made your regular attack?
>>
>>47377708
So that people don't treat it like a semiautomatic weapon. They can reasonably remove the "Loading" property of the weapon with a feat, but they can't reasonably hand-wave that the crossbow actually needs to be LOADED. The bolt needs to be in the weapon for it to be fired. It doesn't automatically load itself.
>>
>>47377536
>>47377752
>you ignore the loading quality of any crossbow you are proficient in

you're really good with crossbows, so you can load them extremely fast even with a weapon in one hand

why is this so hard to wrap your autistic mind around? it's a game, not real life.
>>
>>47377836
>"I can't read"
>>
>>47377972
>I follow every rule as written

if one of my players has taken the xbow expert feat, and wants to use one of his two hands to hold a hand crossbow, he doesn't have to have a hand free to fucking load it every turn, because I am not a miserly autist
>>
File: maybe it's a nightmare too.jpg (35 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
maybe it's a nightmare too.jpg
35 KB, 400x220
>>47376541
Has anyone compiled a list of all the spells that apply to storm sorcs heart of the storm?
>tfw I just now re-read tempestuous magic and realized it applies to all spells, not just thunder/lightning
>>
>>47378026
>"autist autist autism I'M NOT AUTISTIC!!!"
Okay anon. You aren't autistic. You're just a very special boy.

>asks why Thing A is done
>"Thing A is done to accommodate logic"
>calls me autistic
>produces official rule, Rule A, that calls for Thing A to be necessary
>"well i wouldn't make you do that"; calls me autistic; claims self not autistic

I have a feeling that you are the autistic one, child.
>>
>>47378086
I wasn't part of the original argument champ, my first post was >>47377836

Do you actually make your players load a crossbow? I am genuinely curious
>>
With all of this hand crossbow talk I feel now is a fine time to share my upcoming archer build. What I plan to do is go as a variant human fighter and pick up sharpshooter with the archery fighting style at level 1. Then, at 4, I would pick up the crossbow expert feat and start using a hand crossbow. Starting level 5 I would get 3 attack per turn to deal a potential 3D6 + 45 damage per turn. Probably go battle master to help offset the miss chance imposed by sharpshooter with precise attack as well as pick up other handy maneuvers. I have not seen this build posted anywhere else so idk if maybe I overlooked some major flaw or if people just don't like the hand crossbow but it is probably the most solid archer build I have come up with to date. Thoughts?
>>
>>47378086
Stop arguing with the rules lawyer. His antics aren't even funny at this point
>>
>>47378179

Battlemaster fighter
fighting style: archery
maneuver: precision attack
feats: crossbow expert, sharpshooter
20 dexterity

>declare sharpshooter, fire heavy crossbow
>hit: 1d10+15
>miss: roll precision attack superiority die, see above if hit
>drop heavy crossbow
>draw hand crossbow
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15

total damage
3d10+2d6+75

minimum total damage

mean total damage

maximum total damage
>>
>>47378263
Total minimum damage is 0. You should fix that.
>>
>>47378336
Fucking lol, every time.
>>
>>47378263
How exactly are you getting two attacks with a hand crossbow?
>>
>>47377185
Your paranoia is astounding.
>>
>>47378263
You cant draw the heavy crossbow and the hand crossbow in the same turn. Turn 1 would be just the heavy crossbow, turn 2 you could do this though, unless your DM for some reasons deems you cant draw a new weapon in the middle of your attack action.

Overall I would just stick with the hand crossbow for thematic purposes. Thanks for contributing.
>>
>>47378263
Also, that wouldn't work per RAW, since heavy crossbow is not a one-handed weapon.
>>
>>47378457
>>47378432
>>47378422
>drop heavy crossbow to the ground as a free action
>draw handcrossbow as free item interaction
>fire with handcrossbow (one handed weapon) for final extra attack
>fire with handcrossbow as bonus attack as per crossbow expert
>>
>>47378497
You only get one free interaction a turn though. Unless you have your crossbow out all the time your gonna need to draw the heavy crossbow turn one. And you can only draw one weapon per turn unless you have the Duelist feat.

This is not 3.5 where free actions are infinite. You can drow your weapon in the same turn you draw it, but you cant draw a second weapon that same turn.

Also, this is a one turn combo I just realized. Afterwards your going to be stuck with the hand crossbow the whole time, unless you drop the hand crossbow and use the heavy one for a turn, then on turn 4 (or 3 if you had the heavy crossbow out before combat) you could do the heavy / hand shuffle again.
>>
>>47378631
*Drop* your weapon the same turn you draw it...
>>
>>47378631
Oh. Yeah. This isn't necessarily "The first round of combat" this is "general round of combat assuming already holding heavy crossbow".

On the following turn, you drop the hand crossbow, pick up the heavy and fire with the heavy for all 4 attacks for a bit lower damage and then on the NEXT turn, you can repeat the above detailed procedure with the heavy and hand in the same turn. Alternate from there for maximum damage. This kills the crab.
>>
>>47378497
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
You aren't attacking with a one-handed weapon, thus the feat does not apply. Furthermore, you aren't holding the hand crossbow, you are drawing it.
>>
>>47376672
DM permission would be required. If I were playing a Planescape campaign, i'd allow it.
>>
>>47378700
Sorry to appear argumentative, but you're incorrect. The handcrossbow is a one-handed weapon.

>you aren't holding the hand crossbow, you are drawing it.
>draw weapon
>henceforth holding weapon
I'm an excellent logician, let me know if I'm going too fast for you.
>>
>>47378788

Oh, but you aren't taking the attack action with the hand crossbow, only making an attack roll.
>>
Can't decide between creating a rogue, monk, or paladin for an upcoming campaign. Being deliberately kept in the dark about setting/story, and all I know about the rest of the party is that someone plans to play a warlock.
>>
>divine smite only works with melee attacks

How the fuck am I supposed to play as Frank Castle now?
>>
>>47378855
>"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use your bonus action to attack with a ... hand crossbow"
I'm using the attack action and I am attacking with a one-handed weapon. The criteria is met! :)
>>
>>47378918

You are taking an attack action with a two-handed weapon. You're then dropping it and making one attack roll with a one-handed weapon, effectively dropping one shot with a heavy crossbow for a shot with a hand crossbow. That does not equal taking an attack action with a one-handed weapon, sorry.
>>
>>47378886
I would advise paladin. That way you are a solid damage dealer, tank, and healer. Plus I've played vengeance paladin before and they are really fun to play imo.
>>
>>47379035
>he doesn't understand how the AND operator works
>he's an adult in 2016
Shameful. Consider suicide.

The feat demands two separate (yes, separate, as indicated by the and operator) actions to be taken:
-use the Attack action
AND
-attack with a one-handed weapon

It does not say
>"When you use the Attack action and only attack with a one-handed weapon..."

You are objectively incorrect. Why are you bothering to argue? To be correct, you would need to alter the meaning of the AND operator to befit your argument. Stop being stupid anon, I know you can do better than this.
>>
File: im so mad.jpg (48 KB, 460x291) Image search: [Google]
im so mad.jpg
48 KB, 460x291
>apply for a Dark Sun 5e game
>get accepted, start chatting with the other players
>go out for a get-together
>come back a few hours later
>game is gone
>DM deleted his account
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>47379111

Yes, you need to make the attack action with a one-handed weapon. If you are switching from a two-handed weapon, that cannot happen.
>>
What are some Chaotic Good aligned celestials to throw at a party?
>>
What gunslinger class is the best?

Matt mercer's or one of the million others out there?

i think matt's is perfectly serviceable, though I feel like fighter isn't the best fit
>>
>>47379221
Still wrong, apply yourself. I know you can read, so try again:

The feat demands two separate (yes, separate, as indicated by the and operator) actions to be taken:
-use the Attack action
AND
-attack with a one-handed weapon

Use the Attack action. This is certainly done.
Attack with a one-handed weapon. This is also certainly done.

If your reply to this post is more bullshit "I can't read"/"I don't understand operators", then I will not continue replying to you. But you're going to keep trying to support your argument because you can't just accept that you were wrong on the internet.
>>
File: pat souls.gif (4 MB, 488x384) Image search: [Google]
pat souls.gif
4 MB, 488x384
>running Curse of Strahd
>party heads out from Vallaki to the Bonegrinder
>rogue climbs to the second-story walkway, party kicks in the door
>show Morgantha the deed from Death House and tell her they own the place
>she laughs, sets the deed on fire in an instant
>party gets super butthurt, roll for initiative
>rogue breaks in to the top window, ends up between Morgantha and one of her daughters
>daughter casts Bestow Curse
>Wisdom save or do nothing each turn
>paladin casts Command on the daughter from down the stairs
>fails save despite advantage
>"Defenestrate!"
>daughter hag grapples the cursed rogue
>succeeds
>drags him to the window
>throws him outside
>>
>>47379353

You are only expressing your opinion that the attack action doesn't need to be initiated with a one-handed weapon, dear.

The wording is the same as is used for rules for two-weapon fighting, and you can't hit thrice with a two-handed weapon, drop it, draw two one-handed weapons (with the feat, of course) and attack again with both of them either.

If you disagree, you're more than welcome to write wotc and ask for a ruling.

Oh and it would be just as easy to say that dropping a weapon ends your attack action, since you aren't wielding a weapon anymore. And drawing and firing would require a new attack action. You can certainly fire your heavy crossbow 4 times, drop it, use action surge, draw a hand crossbow and attack 5 times if you'd like.
>>
>>47379370
If this were an edition where Wis was valued for Paladins, he might not have made that mistake.
>>
>>47379603
>>47379353
Would you two get a room already?
>>
>>47379650

Isn't dealing with rules lawyers very on-topic?
>>
How would you guys handle power armor in 5e?

I'm thinking no less than +3 enchantment and an advantage on strength checks, but what else could there be? Obviously it's meant for a high level party.
>>
>>47379326
> Battlemaster with a gun
>>
>>47379770
Immunity to airborne poison attacks due to it being a completely sealed unit, maybe.
>>
File: tower.png (158 KB, 329x263) Image search: [Google]
tower.png
158 KB, 329x263
What kind of monsters inhabit the 32,000-year-old derelict spaceship out in the wastes?
>>
>>47376624
I got rid of Topsy and Turvy and made Jimjar a wererat instead. I also got rid of Eldeth and Ront, bringing the number of NPCs down to a reasonable level. It felt more like a party than a mob.
>>
>>47379963
>not making Jimjar a god that shows up at the end

I want to run the campaign just for that.
>>
>>47380056

God of gambling maybe? That's actually a really interesting idea.
>>
>>47379945
You mean the one out in the Barrier Peaks?
>>
>>47380102
No, we already know what's in that one, and it's in the mountains. This is the desert spaceship, and it sticks up out of the ground like a tower, not a piece of shit buried under some rocks.
>>
>>47379945
If a good portion of the shaft is void on the inside, could be a Beholder. They make their lairs in places with a lot of verticality.
>>
does it matter what color I make my dragonborn mechanically? Making a vengeance paladin out of it.
>>
>>47380685
READ THE FUCKING PHB YOU COCKMONGLER
>>
File: 1459481445620.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1459481445620.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>47380685
>>
How would /tg/ build a party that solely consists of rogues?
>>
>>47381397
Social Rogue. Rapier, nobility background, high Charisma, stuff like that. Arcane Trickster archetype, maybe, mostly spells like Friends, Charm Person, etc. Your dashing rogue.
Dick-ass-thief. Stealthy bullshit out the nose, crossbow or kite 'n' dagger. Thief archetype: game plan is to abuse cunning action and climbing features to avoid trouble and attack from sneaky locations at range. High Dexterity to hit/not get hit.
We-spellcaster-now Arcane Trickster rogue. Use Minor Illusion, Color Spray, Tasha's Hideous Laughter for support. Maybe use Illusory Script to forge documents for the Social Rogue to abuse. Bump Intelligence to keep those saves high.
Poison Assassin: uses the Assassin Archetype's poisoner's kit proficiency to put poison to use in battle alongside the traditional suite of sneak-assassin bullshit. Might step on the toes of the dick-ass thief, though, there don't seem to be many rules about poisons.
>>
>>47381691
Social rogue should be a Swashbuckler.
>>
>>47379770
Apparatus of Kwalish. Literally that, just fluff the appearance however you like.
>>
>>47381397
>>47381691
Exactly. Have one of each archetype and you can't go wrong. Swashbuckler and Mastermind for social situations, tactics and intrigue, Arcane Trickster for the occasional spell and mage hand legerdemain, Assassin because this party is getting surprise rounds every fucking time. Thief is always useful too, even more if they take the Healer feat.
>>
>>47382040
I don't know why the group I play with insists that thief archtype is weak. Maybe they think anything that can't be immediately useful in combat isn't worth it or something.
>>
>>47382117
Make one, sling oil everywhere, run up buildings and push rocks onto enemies set traps. Teach them the error of their ways.
>>
>>47382117
Damn, a Thief can be pretty powerful. Climb everywhere faster than anyone else. Find all possible ways to use objects in combat. Apply poison to your weapon every turn before attacking (if your DM rules they are wiped off after one successful hit, which I wouldn't do except for very powerful poisons). Use sleight of hand to steal the enemy wizard's component pouch. Load up on caltrops and ball bearings. Thiefs are pretty cool. I still have to play one, though...
>>
File: unknown.png (11 KB, 304x92) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
11 KB, 304x92
>>47379370
This fucking shit
>>
>>47382003
Can't. That's reserved for a bullywug superweapon.
>>
Assuming you have multiple attacks from being over level 5, are you allowed to break up those attacks with a bonus action in the middle? Eg cast Burning Smite, then next turn attack once, recast Burning Smite, attack again.
>>
>>47383327
im not entirely sure how the rules would handle it specifically, but i think no since you're not taking multiple attacks, you're taking the attack action, with multiple attacks in it

that being said, its not like it wouldn't be allowable, its not that horribly inconceivable
>>
>>47383353
Yeah, I was thinking that since you can move about and switch weapons in the middle of an Attack action maybe it's reasonable? Wouldn't be surprised if the RAW answer is no.

What if you shoot a hand Crossbow, bonus action shoot with the hand Crossbow, drop it and then make your remaining attacks with a heavy Crossbow?
>>
>>47383327
Yeah, you can do that by RAW.
>>
>>47383382
i feel like its probably the same raw answer to the first one (like i said im not sure) but i would definitely allow that one compared to probably to the first, but like >>47383400
said, it is apparently, so yes to both
>>
>>47383327
The only rule for splitting up your turn between attacks that is explicitly stated is for movement.

However, the rules also state that, unless it's stated in the effect, you can choose when to take a bonus action on your turn.

I would be inclined to allow it, mostly because getting caught up in the pointless bits of the action economy are one of my most hated memories of past editions. The actual impact on the game is nil.

Keep in mind that your combo would be a pretty ineffective use of resources, since you can't stack Branding Smites for a variety of reasons (concentration, multiple instances of the same game effect never stack) and the damage you'd get out of a second is almost nothing to what you could do with a single divine smite.
>>
>>47383476
>Keep in mind that your combo would be a pretty ineffective use of resources,
If you have 4 spell slots available and really want to fuck this guy up in one turn then it could be a thing? Like, the whole point of those Smite spells is to be able to stack them with Divine Smite, so you'd do something like 2D6+5+2D6+2d8 on both attacks.
>>
>>47383505
I had Branding Smite confused with another one (Searing Smite).

So nevermind, yes, you could using Branding Smite with it. Searing Smite is the one that wouldn't stack properly since it's a DoT.
>>
How to handle poisons? I have a player who has a poisoner's kit, and I want to let him use it. What kind of reagents and how long would it take to brew a basic poison? The PHB says it's 100gp when bought, and the whole party barely has that much at this point.
>>
>>47383969
considering he just wants to use "poison" from the phb and not some of the more retarded ones, just treat it like a normal profession (with maybe some bonuses since their money rate is a bit retarded)
to make one vial of poison, phb would have your rogue spend about 8 hours a day for 20 days working on it. just have him make survival checks in the wild, or poisoner checks in town to see if he can get/find the mats for cheap and make a very limited amount then go from there. if he still likes the maybe 3 per day he could use, and often uses them, consider lowering the input cost, or upping the output.

most likely he is eventually going to try to use the retarded poisons though, so watch if he wants to change type
>>
>>47383969
I'm sure the DMG has crafting time per value rules, at least for magical items so I'd consider that as a baseline.

The other thing is, how often do you want him to be able to make poison? A dose every short rest, one every long rest, only when he has at least a day downtime? If you tell him he can make a dose in an hour then he can probably manage to have one available each combat. If it requires a lab to make (as opposed to being able to be brewed in the field) and there's a practical limit to how many he can carry safely then it kinda becomes irrelevant how long it takes to make.

I think I would probably err towards basic poison being relatively easy to get (eg in a wilderness he can spend a short rest gathering ingredients and then the second short rest brewing a batch; in town he can buy the ingredients for some arbitrary discount over the retail price of poison) and make it interesting through other angles. Fancy ingredients for special poisons, side plots where they get wrapped up in crime, the risk of carrying illicit substances, that sort of thing. Treat it like a drug plotline out a TV show sorta thing.
>>
>>47384121
>>47384133
>8 hours a day for 20 days
thats 8 hours a day for 20 days of DOWNTIME for one single vial
find some sort of monetary/gathering input and let him have time to make a few per short/long or something and dont let him sell them ever

also second anon is right, they're very easy to consider illegal, and carrying a large amount would be prone to breakage without proper storage. the basic one only lasts a minute and does a whopping d4 damage, so you dont have to be all THAT strict, just dont let him start going retarded thinking he's some sort of poison wizard
>>
>>47384210
>d4 damage
d4 with a con save even, and since they dont have a secondary, they dont give disadvantage
>>
Are there any guidelines on how much reward a party should be getting?

This is our first 5e adventure, and the party (of 5) has just reached lvl 4. So far I've given them around 70 gp between them, and 2 magic items (one of which is modest, and the other is cursed so no long term viability). I think maybe I give them too little.
>>
>>47384237
That's fine, a little more gold maybe. Check the DMG for some guidelines,
>>
File: 1448134582105.gif (655 KB, 460x426) Image search: [Google]
1448134582105.gif
655 KB, 460x426
So my players are running mines of madness today in a campaign.

should i give them one charge of Resurrection?
>>
>>47384519
moreso how "excited" are you for them to actually make it through
if you're the kind of group that wouldn't redo a failed adventure, run it like a videogame, give some of them respawns and keep track of how terrible they do to give them a score

if you think they might just be a bit stupid and die, theres no reason you couldn't secretly work in a scroll of it for them to use, and never know you had it as a freebie
i dont really think they should need it, but honestly it just matters how reckless/murder hobo they are
>>
>>47384565

i definitely want them to make it through but id feel bad if they just randomly died but then again I want them to suffer if they make a dumb mistake.

Im thinking maybe a single scroll of the Reincarnate so they pay a price if they use it
>>
>>47384210
5E crafting rules are fucking retarded.
In the time it takes you to smith something like full plate, you could have gone out and gotten a job as an actual blacksmith and earned enough wages to just buy one at full price. Spending half the item's value is retarded when the cost of room and board for that span of months makes up the difference.
>>
>>47385171
dont forget that no matter how good someone is at something, it takes the exact same time
a strength 6 level 1 villager takes the same amount of time to make that as a 20th level barbarian that somehow has his 24 str and 20 int (so he isn't too retarded to work a forge)
>>
Just out of curiosity, is there any book or official writing from WotC that add some of the spells from Elemental Evil to the Way of the Four Elements Monk's "spell list"?
I mean, it make a lot of sense the way I see it...
>>
>>47385171
>>47385225
Good to be honest. Adventurers should lead exciting lives and get their gear by spending the plunder from the bandit camp/dragon horde/ancient temple they just raided. Not hang around in Bumfuck, Egypt making armour.
>>
What's the new shit coming out niggars, after Ravenloft
>>
>>47385387
Some giant adventure later this year rumour has it. Also possible new mechanical stuff within the next year or so.
>>
File: EE_Races_Aarakocra_Portrait.png (719 KB, 489x834) Image search: [Google]
EE_Races_Aarakocra_Portrait.png
719 KB, 489x834
holy fuck, why didn't wotc give aarakocra the flyby ability? what a shit race.
>>
Birdmonk is a beloved pasttime
>>
>>47385490
That would be broken as.
>>
>>47385572
how would it be broken? it would be fun.
>>
I like 5e but our group that ran for years through 4e and 5e has slowed down and we still meet weekly but we drink beer and play MLB The Show 2016 rather than D&D, and we play softball sometimes. Welp thanks for reading this.
>>
>>47385606
A bird monk with Mobile feat already has it, mf
>>
>>47385490
>>47385606
It would be broken because immunity to AoO and flight at first level makes you next to impossible to hit without ranged weapons and allows you to escape any melee confrontation quickly and without risk.
>>
Dex based battlemaster, 10, 14, 16, 12, 14, 8. Variant human woth medium armour master (my DMPC for a sneaksy group of fewer than recommended players without a meat shield), wields a scimitar and a shield. Approaching level 4; ASI into dex, shield master or sentinel feat? I'm trying to balance between being useful to the party and not being too powerful.
>>
>>47386984
Shield Master is garbage with 10 strength so either Sentinel if the group is squishy or Dex to control the battlefield better.
>>
>>47386984
>>47387131
>bumping this thread

You're posting in the wrong one.
>>
>>47387150
No this one was up first. The people in the other thread are posting in the wrong one.
>>
>>47385606
"Broken" and "fun" are not mutually exclusive terms.

The important part is, who's having the fun? Barring a party comprised entirely of air-cocks, you would be having fun at the expense of your fellow players' fun, since you'd be hogging the spotlight with your incredibly overpowered abilities.
>>
>>47387150
I'm not going to switch threads bust because some SJW got upset about the OP.

>>47387131
Shield master would make his dex saves even better though. And he doesn't really have a bonus action he could use either, so might as well push with a shield and hope for a good roll.
>>
>>47387539
You hardly need to be a SJW to think that it's a particularly shitty OP.

But, then again, you're just the same troll who started this thread, so who gives a shit what you think?
>>
>>47387539
>>47387594
>I'm not going to switch threads bust because some SJW got upset about the OP.
It helps once you realize that most people here aren't actually racist, they're just children/man-children who still think pretending to be racist is somehow "edgy" or something. Like little Timmy yelling out "Farts!" in class because it makes teacher mad.
>>
>>47387681
It helps once you realize that a shitty OP is shitty regardless of how not racist you are.
>>
>>47387681
I'm sure few people here are actual racists, just race realists.

Now, shield master y/n?
>>
>>47387594
>But, then again, you're just the same troll who started this thread, so who gives a shit what you think?
Yes, all 46 unique IPs in this thread are trolls who started the thread.
>>
>>47387695
And if OP were the only person in this thread with comments I felt like replying to, you'd have a point. The fact that the thread was started with a distasteful picture doesn't mean there's nothing worthwhile to discuss here.

That is, assuming people can stop whining about their delicate sensibilities and just move the fuck on. If seeing a 13 year old's attempt at being edgy really turns your stomach, I fear this is not the site for you.
>>
>>47387782
Nah, especially not with 10 Strength. If you want your DMPC to contribute without overshadowing, I'd say take Sentinel. It lets them protect the PC's, but keeps their attack stat lower so they're not hitting left and right. They can help keep the party alive in a passive way while not taking the spotlight from the other characters.
>>
>>47387840
I'm the least interested in Sentinel, since in the past most of my reactions have gone towards protecting the melee rogue with protection fighting style, and sentinel does nothing if you don't have your reaction.
>>
>>47381803
>>47382040
Swashbuckler and Mastermind? I was just going off of what was in the PHB. Are those Unearthed Arcana archetypes?
>>
>>47387824
It's more of the matter that you're encouraging a troll when you really don't have to be. I guess you don't care, but if you didn't care, why not stop encouraging the troll since it doesn't matter either way to you?

It seems like all you really want to do is encourage the troll, and if that's the case, is there really any surprise that people are telling you to cut it out?
>>
>>47387901
Yeah, but you're not optimizing this character, you're trying to keep it out of the spotlight. Sentinel is, at this moment, the best way to do that. Sure, it might not get the most efficient use of all of its reactions, but that's not he point. And it opens up more options for protection in various situations.
>>
>>47388003
I guess that makes sense. But ShM would increase survivability, and give the rogue an occasional time to shine when shield bashing prones a monster. But I think I'll drop the ASI for sure and try to decide between ShM and sentinel.
>>
>>47387977
The only people encouraging the troll are the ones whining about him. Ignoring the troll while posting in the thread isn't encouragement, trying to get people to post in a different thread and complaining about the troll is what encourages a troll.

When little Timmy throws a tantrum, the solution is to ignore him until he learns that throwing a tantrum won't get him the attention that he so clearly wants.
>>
>>47387921
They're in sword coast adventurer's guide aka SCAG
>>
>>47388047
That should be fine. I still think Sentinel is the way to go, but it's your character. Dropping the ASI from contention is definitely a good idea, though.
>>
>>47388047
An extra +2 to Dex saving throws seems like a shitty use of an ASI compared to +2 Dex or Resilient Dex or something.
>>
>>47388048
> Ignoring the troll while posting in the thread isn't encouragement, trying to get people to post in a different thread and complaining about the troll is what encourages a troll.

Trolls work based on post count. Ignore their thread, you discourage them. Post in their thread, regardless of how much you otherwise ignore them, and you still encourage them.
It's the old "Derailing troll threads" fallacy. In the age where most people browse by the catalog, the first post has more meaning than it used to, and trolls are quite happy to have any kind of bump in their thread since it all just amounts to an increase in their thread's post count.
>>
>>47388124
The evasion is really neat though. And the bonus action.
>>
>>47388232
Who cares?
>>
>>47388278
If you don't care either way, don't encourage the trolls.
>>
>>47388267
The evasion uses up your reaction which you've just said you can't do, and the bonus action shove is worse than increasing the DC on your tripping attack or using Feinting Attack or something.
>>
>>47388351
I know I said that about sentinel, but that would be a more clear either/or scenario. I can either hit a monster who's about to hit a party member, or I can impose disadvantage. If a mage blasts a fireball, I can't do anything to protect the rogue, so might as well protect my own ass.

There's the AoO on disengaging monsters to consider though.
>>
>>47388617
Honestly, as a fighter you get so many ASIs you'll eventually have all the feats you'd like. I'd say go for Sentinel first, then pick Shield Master at lvl 6, then +2 Dex at lvl 8 so that the character doesn't fall way behind the rest of the party.
>>
>>47389153
If we ever get that far.
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 3, 1, 2 = 27 (10d4)

>>47385379
>>47385225
>>47385171
>>47384220
>>47384210
>>47384133
>>47384121
>>47383969
So, what the fuck? A single application of poison costs 100gp. And crafting it takes 20 days for someone with proficiency in poisoner's kit (and the same amount with expertise)!

What is the point in giving the Assassin rogue proficiency with the kit then? No assassin is going to spend 160 hours jerking off into a vial to make a poison with a damage potential over its 1 minute lifespan of 10d4. That's 16 hours just to get the chance to deal an extra d4 of damage. The con save is 10. So even with the bare average joe creature with 10 con, the damage potential averaged out (assuming all the attacks hit) is 5d4 (1.25 damage per turn). This translates to 32 hours of poisoning to do an extra 1.25 damage to a creature that has 10 constitution.

WHAT!

I'm going to need someone to calm down my autistic rage here. There must be some justification or the developers must have answered questions about the concerns I've expressed. Anyone have something for me?

Roll related is the maximum amount of extra damage an assassin is going to deal with the poison he spent 160 hours brewing if he hits a creature on every turn for 10 rounds and that creature fails its DC10 con check all 10 times. Fucking whoop de doo.
>>
File: caltrops and net xP outline.png (49 KB, 1122x510) Image search: [Google]
caltrops and net xP outline.png
49 KB, 1122x510
LOL

ITT: Epic Dungeons & Dragons puns xP
>>
>>47389986
Yeah, you have a point. I'll let the rogue do a survival check to search for poisons and let him craft them during a short rest. I'll have to figure out what kind of shops carry poison ingredients though.
>>
File: flail.png (30 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
flail.png
30 KB, 250x250
Rolled 7, 8, 2, 4, 3, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5 = 43 (10d8)

>>47389986
Me again; literally a character is better off filling a sack with those 100 gold coins and nailing that to a stick to a make a flail. Takes at most a minute to craft, deals a d8 of damage, and doesn't expire after 10 turns.

Roll related: ten attacks with the 100 gold coin flail we crafted instead of shelling out the cash on a vial of poison.
>>
>>47389986
I'd let an assassin craft basic poison over a day of work, maybe less. No cost, too, if he finds the right herbs with a good Nature check. Also I think it'd be just fair to set the DC for poisons he crafted as 8 + int mod + proficiency.
>>
>>47380685
>>47380716
>>47380745

If you want to get pedantic about it, no, the color doesn't matter. The 'Draconic Ancestry' is what matters when defining your breath attack and damage resistance.

So you could be a Dragonborn with gold ancestry and blue scales if you wanted. Though it makes the most sense to have them be the same color. Y'know, for consistency.

Though typically dragonborn are "brass or bronze in color, sometimes ranging to scarlet, rust, gold, or copper-green." [PHB, pg32]
>>
>>47390753
Also, "The blood of a particular type of ragon runs very strong through some dragonborn clans. These dragonborn often boast scales that more closely match those of their dragon ancestor."

So while it is not required to be the same, it appears to be the norm.
>>
>>47390444
checked.
>>47390305

Any reasonable DM would houserule this of course; but this must be an oversight on the part of WotC, right? RAW, Assassin is pretty close to taking the worst archetype of 5e from Beastmaster.

>useless poison proficiency (yes, you can use the kit to extract from monsters, but D&D Assassin != Geralt of Rivia; an archetypal assassin is murdering people not fucking giant purple worms) that you can take advantage of to spend 20 days and 50gp to make a candy-ass poison
>useless disguise feature that can be obtained with the Charlatan background (albeit a neutered version); you need to spend 7 fucking days creating a false identity
>useless mimicry feature; stalk a person for 3+ hours to be able to mimic their speech, writing, and behaviour; still have to make a deception check if someone is suspicious of you

As if that all didn't sound awful as it stands, it's MAD out the ass:
-need intelligence to pass the DC20 Intelligence (nature/poisoner's kit) check when extracting poisons from monsters (a 15 or lower causes you to take the full effect of the poison)
-need Dexterity to take advantage of the Assassinate feature (if you participate in a surprise round and you roll high on initiative, you get to autocrit SA twice in the first two rounds of combat; as well, need dex for stealth) as well as to use your weapons (finesse/ranged)
-again, to take advantage of the Assassinate ability, you'll want a high Wisdom (so that your Passive Perception beats out the stealth rolls of hidden attackers)
-Charisma so you can maintain appearances when using the Imposter feature

This archetype is dependent on Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. What the fuck.

Let's look at the skill and tool proficiencies that the archetype also relies on:
disguise kit
poisoner's kit
thieves' tools
deception
stealth
perception
These are just the necessities. Assassin is gonna feel gimped if he doesn't also have acrobatics and sleight of hand.

Shit archetype
>>
File: bait-kun.png (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bait-kun.png
91 KB, 800x600
>>47390907
>having any thematic connection to niche side abilities makes you dependent on the associated ability
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 3 = 27 (10d4)

>>47391009
>vague smug greentext that implements unnecessarily complex syntax in conjunction with the syntax of greentext in an attempt to appear intellectually superior but in effect actually makes no goddamn sense

Enjoy the damage my 160 labor-hours poison which will be delivered to you over the next 10 turns unless you make some really easy DC10 con saves and beat my attack rolls with your AC.
>>
>>47390907
You don't actually get to autocrit twice.
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 1 = 31 (10d4)

>>47391212
Oh shit, you're right. God damn, this class is butt.

At third level, the 8 Con Assassin decides his life isn't worth living. He spends 20 days and 50gp crafting the poison that will end his life. He has (8+4+4)HP=16HP. He has to cut himself with his dagger once every 6 seconds (this is the maximum he can do) to deal the full potency of this lethal poison.
>>
Rolled 12, 10, 1, 4, 8, 13 = 48 (6d20)

>>47391294
He imbibes the poison but it is literally not enough to kill him outright despite that he intentionally failed his saves, how pathetic. Let's see how he fares on his death saving throws.
>>
If we start fixing assassin by allowing a more liberal use of poisons, how should we make them scale? 1d4 at 3, 1d6 at 7th, 1d8 at 11th, 1d10 at 15th, 1d12 at 19th? I haven't done the math on how other rogue archetypes scale.

DC= 8+prof+int
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 1, 3, 1 = 9 (5d3)

>>47391333
Our assassin pitifully cuts his arm 6 times before succumbing the poison. He goes unconscious and dies 30 seconds later.

His penisi length in inches was...
>>
Rolled 3, 5 = 8 (2d5)

>>47391414
Actually fucked that up; should be 2d5.
>>
>>47385171
>In the time it takes you to smith something like full plate, you could have gone out and gotten a job as an actual blacksmith and earned enough wages to just buy one at full price. Spending half the item's value is retarded when the cost of room and board for that span of months makes up the difference.
When you're crafting, you can keep a Modesto lifestyle without paying 1 gp per day, or half cost on a Comfortable lifestyle.

If you just practice a profession, like blacksmithing, you just get a Modest lifestyle. If you're part of an organization for employment, Comfortable, if you have Performance, you can keep up Wealthy without spending money out of pocket.

So you won't earn enough to afford that plate armor at full price and the cost of room and board would not make up the difference, since you aren't paying room and board on top.
>>
>>47389986
>someone with proficiency in poisoner's kit (and the same amount with expertise)!
You won't have expertise in the kit, at least not typically.

If you really want to rage, check the sage advice, errata, and DMG on poison. Injury poison lasts one hit. On the bright side, going out and harvesting poison instead of crafting it is much faster, cheaper, and more dangerous.
>>
>>47391399
The thing is most rogue archetypes don't deal any more damage than the base rogue until high level abilities are available around level 13 to 17. They just guide you into playing a certain kind of rogue.
>>
>>47393272
>implying the thief and arcane trickster rogues can't wreck shit by bonus action applying oil to an enemy and Green-Flame Blade-ing
>>
>>47376608
the str check shouldn't have to be an action. This is too powerful if so. If they fail the save they take damage and can't move unless they waste an action. This is almost a save or die for melee monsters.
>>
>>47380143

intellect devourers floating in tanks of bubbling blue liquid.

Humans in cryo sleep with lasers guns and futuristic armor : http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign

Ghosts of dead crew members

A horrible monster caged from deep space/another dimension. Make it an aberration that doesn't normally exist in your campaign setting.

This is my favorite type of adventure. What were you thinking of doing?
>>
How do you guys usually handle conflicting alignments in the game? A player rolled a drow and made him a complete asshole even though I strongly discouraged him rolling an evil character. Granted, his alignment isn't evil, but that's just because he hasn't written alignment down on his sheet at all. He keeps cutting throats of innocents and the group's NG druid is seriously starting to lose it.
>>
>>47394943
>How do you guys usually handle conflicting alignments in the game?
Like adults.

>A player rolled a drow and made him a complete asshole even though I strongly discouraged him rolling an evil character. Granted, his alignment isn't evil, but that's just because he hasn't written alignment down on his sheet at all. He keeps cutting throats of innocents and the group's NG druid is seriously starting to lose it.

Sounds like the problem will solve itself soon.
>>
Is there any reason to play a Wizard other than a situational swiss-army-knife?
>>
>>47395000
On the other hand I want to put a stop to it since I want to keep pvp off my table, but then again the guy is playing his character consistently.
>>
>>47395169
If you play an evil char in a good party you shouldn't ask for DM protection. This isn't always bad, a bit of PVP can be fun. But if your party plays their PCs in character, they will probably have to arrest or kill the drow char.
>>
>>47395098

Sure!

Alter self, disguise self, minor illusion, knock
You are now a great spy.

Play an abjurer, you are a mage killer.

Play an evoker, blow shit up and do a lot of damage all day erry day. Adding your int to your cantrips is pretty swell.

Play a diviner, get some poison and poisoned weapons.
Take invisibility. Take stealth skills. Make people fail their saves to poison with your portent ability. You are now an assassin.

You can also be a swiss army knife as you said by taking a varied spell list.
>>
>>47393337
What would that do?
>>
>>47395382
I like these
>>
>>47395754
Every turn
>weapon damage
>SA damage
>GFB damage
>oil damage
>>
>>47393337
You can't apply oil to an enemy with a mage hand. A mage hand can't attack.
>>
>>47395904

You only need to attack if you are throwing the vial. The Mage Hand can pour the contents of the vial.
>>
>>47395951
You make an attack roll either way. You can pour the vial out on the ground. You cannot hit an enemy with it.
>>
>>47395991
As a DM, I'd call for a dex save rather than an attack roll. Pouring oil on someone is an ingenious use of the cantrip, and I in no way would be opposed to something like that.
>>
>>47396028
There's already rules in the book for splashing oil onto a creature. Why not just use those?
>>
>>47396048
Where is that found?
>>
Does anyone have the sheet with all the options for character creation?
>>
My chain warlock hit level 4. Should I just go for the 18 charisma or is there a feat that might be useful for a warlock?
>>
>>47399097
finishing your charisma is probably much more important
>>
>>47399097
Resilient is always a good pick.
>>
>>47399097
stats my dude

unless you're something like a fighter/pally/barbarian and want great weapon master or are a ranged character and want spell sniper/sharp shooter or use xbows and want crossbow expert or something like war caster for an eldritch knight, pumping your main stat will probably be the best
>>
>>47399213
>>47400145
Fair enough. Now it's just a matter of deciding on a spell. I'm not used to the tiny spell selection of warlocks after playing bard and wizard.
>>
>>47400202
just a heads up, pure warlock kinda sucks man.

you'll just be eldritch blasting all the fucking time. and eblast is really good and all but it's fucking boring.

lock shines with multiclassing. consider going into sorc or something cha based
>>
File: 1366617095001.jpg (27 KB, 446x281) Image search: [Google]
1366617095001.jpg
27 KB, 446x281
>>47395640
>tfw my DM -expects- me to have memorized the MM when he's describing shit
>my character has no reason to know 90% of these creatures
>the entire party has for some reason latched onto this idea and turns to me expectantly when there's a new monster being described, or an old one
>even the DM asks me for specific stats on creatures
>from old editions
>I sometimes have trouble remembering the PHB
>I've never even owned a copy of a MM
>Even in other editons
it could always be worse.
>>
>>47395640
>>47400427
do people actually use the MM as bible?

like it's just inspiration. grab a monster from there that seems cool and tune it to your game.

I had my 1st level party fight a gelatinous cube because I thought it'd be funny if literally the 1st combat encounter in my game involved their npc follower getting swalllowed
>>
>>47400468
>tfw stuck playing AL only because no one is interested or has time to play a home game.
I'll be leaving anyway once school is over but the brief time I got to play a home campaign was the best.
>>
>>47400512
Is league as lifeless and boring as I've heard?

"strict uniform following of the rules as written" is personally the antithesis of D&D for me
>>
>>47400627
Compared to what little I've played of non-AL DnD, I would say yes. A good DM can carry it to keep it interesting, but following rules and modules to the letter can get tiresome. A favorite example of someone in the group is us killing the would-be dracolich in Raiders of the Twilight Marsh in one turn, preventing him from drinking the potion that should turn him. We still had to kill him again after it's help dumped the potion into its mouth because gotta follow that module.
>>
What is the point of Yugoloths now?
>>
>>47400819
to be really really neutral evil
>>
>>47400872
What does that even mean anymore? What do they do that a devil or demon doesn't? Even from the name they sound more alien that the others, not rooted in some sort of folklore or mythology.

Apparently in the 5e MM they were made by night hags and Asmodeus to act as mercenaries and lost the Books of Keeping for them? Sounds incredibly dumb and boring.
>>
>>47400921
they were just to finish out the evil "family" of species, to be not devils or demons thus not lawful or chaotic
>>
>>47400819
Maybe you don't particularly like the flavor of the devils or the demons. Here, DM, have another flavor of evil outsider to sprinkle on your game instead.

D&D is chock full of options for putting adventures together with. Yugoloths represent a small subset of that.
>>
>>47400963
Yeah but they could have kept all the cool weird shit. Like the Baernoloths, these twisted primordial evil things that made the Yugoloths. Or that Spine tower in the Grey Waste that experiments on people about the nature of evil, with an apparatus that extracts emotion and pain from the body into liquid form. That shit was cool. I want that back.
>>
>>47401003
A Yugoloth should be like that black ooze that killed Tasha Yar., not another sort of devil/demon that they are in the MM.

They were made by Night Hags in concert with Asmodeus? Fuck no
>>
>>47401006
Nothing's stopping you
>>
>>47376541
hOW LONG UNTIL WE GET A SEA BASED ADVENTURE MODULE?
>>
Do any of you use diseases frequently in your games? I'm running a solo game for someone, and forcing disease checks every once in a while due to squalor or injury (early modern period medicine, little healing magic) would certainly feel like the type of brutal world he enjoys playing in. But before I go adding that, what are other people's experience with disease in 5e?
>>
>>47401118
Sure, i'm just dissapointed that they've neutered Yugoloths in 5e by default.
>>
>>47401129
Three years at least.
>>
I just had a thought. Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights just suddenly gain spells at level 3 but how am I supposed to fluff that? It seems odd I suddenly become able to cast spells.
>>
>>47401870
similarly to the way first level characters do, you dont know spells as a level 0 babby who decided to become a wizard when he grew up
they're reading spellbooks in their downtime, and upon level 3 finally have had enough practice and skill to feel they can field their talents without fucking things over
knight specifically can claim their weapon bond is some sort of focus
>>
>>47401870
I had my AT obsessing over her abilities to cast, and having her 1st/2nd levels having been reading up/casting in secret, before realizing she didn't need to hide it anymore, now that there was nobody to punish her for "going beyond her station".
Even so, she stuck with pretty much explicitly casting dancing lights/faerie fire until she became more comfortable with the party.. (for combat reasons those were only used, but it worked out fluff wise pretty well)
>>
>>47402009
That actually is a good idea and I might use that for mine.
>>
How good is melee tempest cleric? planning to go melee for the first few levels then i got two options: boost WIS and become caster-y OR dip 2 level of paladin for the sweet smite (and become melee focused)
>>
>>47401870
"i always knew how to do that, I just didn't know you guys that well..."
>>
>>47402208
a weeeeee little bit worse than war melee or range tempest, but still pretty good
your main problem for damage dealing is going to come from the fact that some of your best damage spells are self-aoe, so if the party is melee heavy, you're kinda fucked
>>
File: irishjazz.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
irishjazz.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>the DM refers to every statistic with a non-standard name
>make a Puissance check
>what's your Alacrity score
>roll Tenacity against the ghoul's bite
>beat a DC 20 Cerebration check
>advantage on Perspicacity saves
>roll Chutzpah (pronounced wrong, of course)
>>
Alright guys since curse of Strahd only lasts until level 10 I'm thinking of incorporating it into an epic multi-part adventure
First part is CoS as written, except the PCs come from my homebrew setting.
After that is done and they return they will find that parts of the setting are being swallowed up by the mists and are being overrun by three of the Darklords and will have to defeat Ankhtepot, Lord Soth and Azalin Rex.
After that is done they will have an epic final confrontation against some abominable being spawn from the dark powers who is behind everything

How does that sound?
>>
>>47403466
Are you setting it before the Grand Conjunction and When Black Roses Bloom?
>>
>>47403436
I want to say you're making this up, but only because I wish to spare myself the existential terror of knowingly sharing a universe with your DM.

My condolences, Anon.
>>
>>47403436
What the fug
>>
>>47403483
I have not read those, I know When Black Roses Bloom is a 2e module with Soth as the villain but haven't really heard of the other one

Maybe I could work them into the plot, are they good?
>>
>>47403552
The Grand Conjunction is a series of six modules that involve a prophecy that was supposed to end with Ravenloft dissolving. Azalin got all excited, and accidentally got the 5th and 6th signs out of order. This meant that Ravenloft didn't dissolve, just got massively rearranged. Basically, the explanation for the differences between the Black Box and Red Box versions of the setting.

Azalin disappeared after the GC, and the Death series of modules features his old protege turning all of Il Aluk's inhabitants into undead.

WBRB has Lord Soth running about trying to get his hands on a gem that will slave Kitiara to his will. I thought it was the module where Soth escaped Ravenloft, but that only appears in the 3.5 Ravenloft PHB, as an event in 755 BC.
>>
>>47403637
I see, might want to look into that to get an idea of how to include Azalin

If anything I can set it after GC and Azalin thinks he's found another way ti dissolve Ravenloft
>>
>>47402585
If the party is melee heavy, good. I can just cast bless and spiritual weapon then chill out behind them.

Is cleric with 14con and heavy armor tanky enough to be frontline?
>>
>>47389986
They make poison, crafting, and poison-crafting weak on purpose in D&D. They always have. It's because each of those things provides a different way to skip what the game is about and make all but one of the players at the table bored as shit.
>>
>>47403791
As someone playing a 16 Con Life Cleric, they can stand up very well on the front line. Of course, part of that is because I'm playing with the Life domain, which means any wounds I take I can just heal up. I'd suggest taking a one handed weapon and shield though, unless you're determined to deal a lot of melee damage; the +2 AC is invaluable, and most of your melee damage comes from the lv8 Divine Strike ability anyway, so going down from 1d8 to 1d6 standard damage is barely anything (although that's only in the case of being restricted to simple weapons as is the case of Life Clerics. Anyone with martial weapon proficiencies will go down from a potential 2d6 to 1d8 which is more significant, so keep that in mind).
>>
File: Crossbow_archer.png (358 KB, 569x800) Image search: [Google]
Crossbow_archer.png
358 KB, 569x800
I had an idea for an inquisitor type character that carries a huge crossbow. Picture related, but with a priestly robe on top of his armor.

The basic idea is:
>Fighter
>Archery
>Battle Master
>Heavy Crossbow with Sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert feats

I am looking at Battle Master because Goading Strike is spectacular for a ranged attacker and Precision Strike is great for making sure my Sharpshooter attacks land.

When in melee I can still use a Hand Crossbow with Sharpshooter for tons of damage.

I would take a 1 or 2 level dip into War Cleric for Bless, Healing Word, 3-5 extra attacks per long rest, and Channel Divinity.

With Bless and the Archery fighting style the penalty for Sharpshooter is basically gone, essentially giving all of my shots +10 damage, while also providing Bless to my team.

I could also go into Cleric 3 for more spell slots and Spiritual Weapon to get some better action economy going.

Eventually I could even take a dip into Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action, as well as a little bit of extra damage through Sneak Attack.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>47403890
"When in melee I can still use a Hand Crossbow with Sharpshooter for tons of damage."
Crossbow Expert: "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls."

Why bother swapping? There's no reason to not just keep plugging the guy five feet away from you with bolts from your heavy crossbow, when all swapping to a Hand Crossbow'll do is reduce your damage from 1d10 to 1d6 (although you do benefit from an extra attack as a bonus action I suppose). Other than that, sounds alright. You'd probably benefit from the Cleric levels more than the Rogue levels, although I understand the allure of Expertise. You might be more useful just sticking with Fighter though, and maybe taking something like Magic Initiate (Cleric) and Skilled for those few smaller bonuses related to Cleric and Rogue, since you'll just be delaying the meat of the Fighter class (extra attacks, maneuvers from Battlemaster, etc) by multiclassing.
>>
>>47385490
aarakocra ranged attackers are already broken as fuck
>>
>>47403984
I mentioned the Hand Crossbow because I can use a shield with it. I wouldn't be switching in combat willy-nilly but if I know melee combat is incoming then I can keep abusing Sharpshooter.

Magic Initiate would give me Bless, but it would only be usable once per long rest.

A 1 level dip in War Cleric gives me 2 uses of Bless per day, as well as ton of utility with stuff like Healing Word and Shield of Faith. It also gives me 3-5 extra attacks per long rest through the War Cleric feature.

Going Cleric 2 gives me another spell slot and Channel Divinity.

Cleric 3 gives me 3 more slots (1 Level 1, 2 Level 2) as well as access to Spiritual Weapon and Prayer of Healing.

In most campaigns I can do Cleric 3 and Fighter 11+, which gives me almost everything from Fighter.
To get anything more from Fighter I would need to put at least 4 more levels into it and all that would offer is 2 Ability Score Improvements, another use of Indomitable (Bless is already helping with saving throws) and bumping my BM dice from d10 to d12.
Many BMs require melee attacks (or just plain suck) so I'm fine with losing out on knowing more.

Cleric 3 / Fighter 12 seems like the way to go.

What are some other feats worth considering?
>>
File: 1451443718172.jpg (61 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1451443718172.jpg
61 KB, 604x438
Can Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade trigger Sneak Attack bonus damage?

If so, High Elf Rogue Swashbuckler is looking really good.
>>
>>47404153
I'd think so, Sneak Attack requires you to hit a creature, whether that hit is from a melee/ranged attack with melee/ranged weapons, part of a spell, outside your turn etc. doesn't matter. If it's an attack with a ranged or finesse weapon and it hits then it qualifies.
>>
>>47404207
If I have two enemies for GFB, can I choose which one takes the Sneak Attack damage?
>>
>>47404231
No, the creature that takes the damage is the one you hit.
>you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll.
So not someone you damaged with an attack, explicitly the one you hit.
>>
>>47404153
The actual weapon attack can yeah, but the secondary damage no.

>Creature you hit with an attack
>Attack must use a finesse or ranged weapon
>>
just shoplifted the core 3 books of 5E. lets see how it is.
>>
File: brave.gif (2 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
brave.gif
2 MB, 245x245
>>47404317
You could have just found them online for free
>>
>>47404346
I already do but I dont like PDFs on my RPG table.
>>
>>47404317
>risking criminal record to save ~100€
Smrt!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.