[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boxing Technicality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
What is the best stance for boxing? Always been taught to fight tall and upright, never lowering my self and giving the other guy inches. Why fight like you're 5'7 if you're 5'11.
>>
>>66759701
i don't know I'm 5'9 and usually use a high guard but if i'm taller than my opponent than i sometimes put my hands down and fuck around with him
>>
>Technicality
>>
>>66759701
>>66759754
but i Disagree standing square gives you power but you make you self a bigger target, stand up straight is not to good and is more used in kickboxing or mma. In boxing crouching makes the opponent think you are closer than you really are and makes you a smaller target but you need to add head movemen. Standing straight up and keeping hand up is more of a brawler move only used if you are a poor boxer, or have one punch knockout power and trying to walk down a taller opponent who is out-boxing you.
>>
>>66759792
I don't mean standing square, im talking about just standing straight up and punching from a higher ground rather than widening your stance a bit or arching your back. Not facing forward at all. While I agree that a lower position enables you to add head movement much more adeptly. If you stand your full height your head is much farther from the danger area and your punches gain priority in terms of hitting over opponents arms.
>>
>>66759701
based philly shell, of course
>>
>>66759766
technicality I think you are right, Out-boxing your opponent is the best because you hit the opponent and you don't necessarily get hit a lot, but you need to bend your knees to keep balance so you don't get knocked down on your ass
>>
>>66759821
I hated because everyone uses it nowadays thinking they got crazy reflexes
>>
>>66759838
may weather jr wannabee's, imitation is the highest form of flattery im sure there where thousands imitating tysons peek a boo style back then as well.
>>
>>66759814
yea you are right this fight is a perfect example of that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcq9qPI8NEM
>>
>>66759858
haha tru, I still love the Tyson style tho... no one uses it nowadays.
>>
>>66759863
This is exactly what i'm talking about, that high guard is an interesting addition to that as well. I'll add on that if an opponent is hunched and comes swinging for the body as he's hunched just throwing a hook from a higher position catches them sooner before they're able to move in.
>>
>>66759874
I think personally nobody could imitate the training from D'amato he received nor the precision he was able to apply to it. It takes both the trainer and the trainee to match up well, maybe one day haha
>>
>>66759910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk&nohtml5=False
Prince Naseem Hamed was good example too
>>
>>66759897
yea it's a good style but you need to have crazy knockout power
>>
>>66759925
those angles are crazy, I'd only worry about stability when you're caught off guard doing that, I think he catches people most due to the sheer awkward nature of his pugalism, you always get caught by the punch you don't see coming
>>
>>66759838
george foreman used a shell/crab successfully along with archie moore and holyfield
>>
>>66759959
george foremans blocking during his second career reminded me of sonny listons with that double arm block
>>
>>66759979
it was so weird looking but it complemented how he would throw people off balance and out of rhythm, perfect for those vicious hooks and loaded right arm
>>
>>66759979
also note how Sonny and George both had some of the best jabs in the heavyweight division of all time
>>
>>66759991
I'd add probably due to those fighters being taught to box too statically, if you're able to change your footwork and ring position rapidly then a fighter would have more chance of avoiding the bullrush.
>>
>>66759823
you mean technically, dummy.
>>
>>66759955
Could not said it better, but he did land on his ass a few times just from being off balance all the time
>>
>>66760012
George's jab was the best in history
>>
>>66760043
Thanks
>>
>>66760044
haha I'll have to watch more of his fights then, a unique personality is what makes a boxer stand out.
>>
Textbook style..hands up...knees slightly bent with a good fully extended jab.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.