[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Based McIlroy speaks the truth. All the major sports at the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Based McIlroy speaks the truth.

All the major sports at the Olympics, soccer, golf, basketball, tennis, feel out of place and are irrelevant.

If winning a gold medal is not the pinnacle of accomplishment then it has no place at the Olympic games.

This is undeniable.
>>
You can't shoehorn prestige into golf. The IOC was cocky in assuming that it could draw the top players just because it was the Olympics. I think it would be a heck of a lot different if golf was an Olympic sport for the last century and a half continuously, but every single pro golfer from every single country on the planet would take a major championship over an Olympic medal even if they entered a major with a clause that said they couldn't keep any of their winnings, and I can almost guarantee you that every bottom feeder in the OWGR would take a win at the freaking Sanderson Farms or Puerto Rico Open or hell, even any web.com or lower tier Euro Tour win over a gold medal simply due to the exemption.

Seriously, the way pro golf works, it has absolutely no chance as an Olympic sport. It should have never even be considered. Zika turned out to be a lovely scapegoat, but I can almost guarantee you that if Chicago had been awarded the games and the golf was being held at Medinah, we still would have seen a lot of the big names drop out. Maybe I'll have to eat my hat when the games actually return to proper civilization in Tokyo, but I doubt it.

I think blaming the money (or lack thereof) is unfair too. I mean, the President's Cup can field teams full of top players, and there's no money in that. I really do think the guys don't have any motivation to play because there's nothing to gain by going. No prestige. Just a footnote below Masters and Open wins. Money list wins. Even Player's Championship wins. As far as the women go, they are so marginalized and and largely ignored I think they'll do whatever to gain any sort of mainstream attention.
>>
>>69519620

Look, for a sport to be considered for the Olympics, throw it by a smell test. Is an Olympic medal the pinnacle of said sport? Gymnastics? Yes. Swimming? Yes. Track and field, figure skating, race walking, table tennis, bobsled? Yes. Basketball and hockey? No, but the Olympics are the pinnacle for most of the countries outside of the US and Canada, so they get a pass. Golf? There's like, 15 different pinnacles. Every major, the Ryder Cup, a PGA Tour card, U.S. am, British am... need I continue?

Regardless, the IOC is an absolutely disgusting organization, and shouldn't by supported in any way, shape, or form.
>>
What if a medal gave exemptions for all four majors until the next Olympics?
>>
professional sports should not be in the Olympics, period.

the whole point of the Olympics is that it is a festival of shitty meme amateur games that no one ever cares about otherwise.

adding shit like soccer and tennis is just greedy and compromises the integrity of the event in my opinion because it detracts from the athletes who consider the Olympics to be the pinnacle of their career, not just some three week meme.
>>
I love how ass mad Brandel Chamblee is. What a fucking pathetic loser he is. Look at this interview, http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/chamblee-rorys-comments-insult-olympics/

I'm sure that McIlroy will really regret these comments at the end of his career when he's sleeping on probably a quarter of a billion dollars.
>>
No prize money, no elite golfers. You'd miss competing John Deere Classic or the Travelers Championship, where you can win some fresh dosh. Hell, even if you do win a golf medal, you end up paying like $10,000 on it in taxes. I wouldn't go either, Zika virus or not.
>>
>>69520286
*gold medal
>>
>>69520286

>paying taxes on a gold medal

is this a retarded yank thing?
>>
>>69520307
I don't know if it's exclusive to just us, but yes it's very retarded. The modest cash prizes to medal winners are considered earned income abroad and subject to IRS taxation by like 40%.
>>
>>69520335

haha

probably the same here desu
>>
>>69520368
>probably the same here desu
nope, that bullshit is exclusive to America

Australians (like basically any other nationality) can earn income overseas and not pay tax on it

US citizens have to pay tax on income they earn to the US government even if they live/work overseas

An American passport is an absolute bitch if you don't live in America
>>
>>69519725
Top players aren't worried about major exemptions.
>>
>>69519609
Squash is far more interesting than golf they should have picked that instead
>>
>>69519620
So do any top golfers ever comes in the Olympics?
>>
Walkcunt on suicide watch.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.