[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mesoamerican ball game thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
>implying Xoatil isn't a courtbabby
>implying playing for the lives of the virgins in your town isn't the best motivation
>>
File: pelota[1].jpg (204 KB, 800x511) Image search: [Google]
pelota[1].jpg
204 KB, 800x511
This game probably sucked and was not nearly as action packed as today's football.
>>
So what was this sport like, basically handball?
>>
File: Maya17oyun[1].jpg (47 KB, 522x402) Image search: [Google]
Maya17oyun[1].jpg
47 KB, 522x402
Looks awkward as fuck. How did you even score?

>>69275608
IDK I think all you have left are the courts. No written record, right?

P. sure you had to get the ball through the ring but if you could grab the ball and throw it through, that seems too easy doesn't it?

But then again the people were short, stocky, uncoordinated, and malnourished back then.
>>
>>69275665
I think it was a noble's game, so I doubt the players were malnourished... in fact, they were probably relatively taller and well built compared to the average due to access to resources
>>
File: Hola.jpg (108 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
Hola.jpg
108 KB, 430x430
>¡ Hola! ¡ Usted allí! ¿Es la India?
>>
>>69275507
CHI
>>
>>69276414
>*unzips smallpox*
>>
File: 1467042951972.jpg (17 KB, 343x304) Image search: [Google]
1467042951972.jpg
17 KB, 343x304
holy shit fucking kill urself fucking faggots
these threads are so fucking unfunny they make big bang theory look like comedic genius

anyone who posts in these threads (aside from myself) is a permavirgin wanker
>>
>Captives were often shown in Maya art, and it is assumed that these captives were sacrificed after losing a rigged ritual ballgame. Rather than nearly nude and sometimes battered captives, however, the ballcourts at El Tajín and Chichen Itza show the sacrifice of practiced ballplayers, perhaps the captain of a team.
>Decapitation is particularly associated with the ballgame—severed heads are featured in much Late Classic ballgame art and appear repeatedly in the Popol Vuh. There has even been speculation that the heads and skulls were used as balls.

the england national team would've been sacrificed by now and the euros would be played with rooney's head
>>
>tfw you win the championshio and get sacrificed because you and your team are clearly the most alpha and therefore the best tributes to the gods
Nothing like it
>>
>>69276098
I was taught that it was a sacrifice to the gods, with the losers dying and the winners made nobles.
Some people believe hands were not used, that the ball was either kicked, or flipped off the hip (I don't understand the hip thing either).
>>
Who's gonna lift the orejona this year lads
>>
>Inb4 Tenochtitlan gets BTFO by the Spaniards
>>
>>69276707
When I went to Chichen Itza the guide explained exactly this, also apparently the ball was pretty heavy and a game could last over a month.
>>
>>69276807
Downtown la
>>
File: yanza.jpg (63 KB, 600x674) Image search: [Google]
yanza.jpg
63 KB, 600x674
>>69275507
>I rate Zidauhnel
>>
>>69275665
>Looks awkward as fuck. How did you even score?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvQjgC9sIY
>>
>Mapuches travel to play aztecs in cherokee home stadium for tournament of americas
>aztecs get btfo 7-1
>>
>>69277019
now that is semen slurping
>>
>>69277019
wew that looks comfy af
>>
>>69276490
kek
>>
I don't mean to sound racist but why has Latin America never produced anything besides shitty music, unimaginative food, and rampant crime?
>>
>>69277019
That's fucking terrible.
>>
File: intradesting.png (75 KB, 222x259) Image search: [Google]
intradesting.png
75 KB, 222x259
>>69277019
>>
Columbus to Castilel FC done deal bros
>>
>ywn be some peasant being sacrificed to keep the sun rotating

Just kill me already.
>>
>>69277019
wtf I hate Incas now
>>
>>69277184
>unimaginative food
Have you seen British "food"?
>>
>>69277082
>7-1
>not 7-0
>>
>>69277643
British food has more variety, besides they get a pass for not having the best cuisine because they were too busy inventing industry
>>
>>69276591
Stop talking of might-have-beens. ;_;

And Happy Eid to you, too.
>>
>>69277019
That looks gay as fuck, why do they only hit the ball with their hips?
The only way to make it gayer is if they were blinding their opponents by ejaculating on their faces.
>>
>>69277345
lel
>>
>>69275665
They had to hit the ball with their legs and their hips
>>
>>69277184
Great bait
>Impling samba cumbia bossa nova tango norteño salsa arent based
>implying food isnt godly
>>
>>69277184
>shitty music
debatable
>unimaginative food
don't go there, most cuisines tend to be a blend of 5/6 different items with a few spice and meat changes here and there
>rampant crime
literally everywhere
>>
>>69279026
>Mordiendo el anzuelo
shake my head phamalaxoatl
>>
File: cropped-ball-game-picture[1].jpg (99 KB, 920x359) Image search: [Google]
cropped-ball-game-picture[1].jpg
99 KB, 920x359
tfw I started this thread a few hours ago and assumed it would sink and gave up after a few minutes
I had some tabs open with sweet pics but that was on another computer

>>69277019
That was painful to watch. No wonder they killed the participants.
>>
>>69277019
Still better than soccer
>>
>/int/ """"""""""""""""""""""""humour""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>69275564
>This game probably sucked and was not nearly as action packed as today's football.
>being proud of your ignorance
>being this brazen of your stupidity
>being this much of a moron in the age of the internet

Losing team dies.

I'd say they pretty much played like their lives depended on it.
>>
>>69279738
Yeah but life was worth less back then.
>>
Did anyone else play a game called Chichen Itza-Ball during gym class or was that something we made up?
>>
Coudln't they just fight to the death in some sort of prehistoric team deathmatch?
The losing team was gonna die anyway.
>>
>>69279782
No way. I make a difference in peoples' lives on the daily.

Not to mention I'm white, male, and a United States Citizen.
>>
>>69276903
>a game could last over a month

for what purpose?
>>
File: disgust.jpg (233 KB, 529x800) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
233 KB, 529x800
>>69277184
>unimaginative food

someone shoot this man.
>>
>>69279833
>Not to mention I'm white, male, and a United States Citizen.

so you make a negative difference you disgusting cumskin
>>
>>69279786
Step 1: get an app to find the North Star in the sky

Step 2: start walking the opposite direction
>>
>refs massively rig match for team A
>Inferior team B plays with heart and somehow wins
What happens?
>>
>>69280255
Everybody dies.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.