[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Americans who follow soccer on /sp/, who do you cheer for and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11
File: image.gif (792 KB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
792 KB, 400x221
Americans who follow soccer on /sp/, who do you cheer for and why?
>>
I usually watch as many club matches as possible, still haven't chose a team though.
as for the Euros, I chose Iceland because alot of Spee bros said they were the only ones Neutrals should root for and it paid off, love you Nordic bros!
As for NT usually root for any Concacaf bros, CR, USA, or Memexico.
>>
File: 1439463276053.jpg (79 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1439463276053.jpg
79 KB, 800x800
arsenal
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 400x500
>be me in 2012
>at home sick watching ESPN
>city-united game comes on
>comfy lunch time game
>city win 1-0
>end up liking this semen slurping sport
>watch agueroooo game, holy shit
>start fully supporting city
>rarely miss a game since

Feels bad being a fan of a plastic team sometimes though
>>
>>69074446
Arsenal
because Henry was GOAT
>>
Real Madrid because I bandwagoned R9 after the 2002 WC
>>
MLS - Chicago Fire - theyre the only team from chicago this isn't shit and is worth supporting. Fire has a nice ring to it, and it's easy to say

EPL - Chelsea. I figured I would support one of the Big Ones (Man U, Arse, chels), and chelse is my favorite out of those. Like the lion logo
>>
right now im rooting for wales because i want to be able to shitpost about bale being the best player on real and cucking ronaldo
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 604x589) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 604x589
Bayern Munich

They have the best memes.
>>
>>69074446
been supporting >buyern
since 2009. Now they are the best team in the world and I get called a band wagoner by all my other friends. Trust me, the american sports teams I support show I am the opposite of a bandwagoner.
>>
DC United and USMNT
that's all because I'm not a cuck, but I am perpetually bored and/or disappointed
>>
>>69074776

Oh yeah, nationally I like Germany and Spain.

Fuck bundesliga tho
>>
Lester City
>>
File: 1437015575618.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1437015575618.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>69074446
Chicago Fire since im from there

USA since im from there

Any team that happens to be playing against Mexico because fuck Mexico
>>
Orlando City - self explanatory
Crystal Palace - my dad was into them
Polish and Irish national teams - "muh heritage"
USA national team - look at flag
>>
>>69074851

>USA since I'm from here

It's okay bro, you don't have to support America. They don't treat soccer with enough respect to warrant my fandom of their national team.
>>
>>69074873
STFU hipster faggot
>>
Dortmund because of pulisic
>>
Arsenal because two of my coaches growing up were huge fans and that was my team name for a while

Crystal Palace because I saw them play Leeds when they were in the bottom of the Championship and win

Seattle Sounders because Ljungberg played for them and there isn't an MLS team near me
>>
>>69074708
>Arsenal
>because Henry was GOAT
same. my favorite player since I started watching soccer

NT-wise, the U.S. of course. I also like Spain and Germany for >muh heritage reasons
>>
File: 1466826669951.jpg (185 KB, 600x781) Image search: [Google]
1466826669951.jpg
185 KB, 600x781
>>69074776
>Fire has a nice ring to it, and it's easy to say
>>
Do you guys cheer for local teams, like actually going to stadium?
I assume it must be much cheaper compared to other sports.
>>
lmao at these faggots who pick a team over one player.

what happens when that player retires or is traded?
>>
File: 1455376024907.png (428 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1455376024907.png
428 KB, 600x400
Columbus Crew
>>
>>69074966
I don't live close to a team. Atlanta is getting one next year but it's still 3 hours away. Used to live in LA but that was before I cared about soccer and didn't go to any Galaxy games.
>>
>>69074959

yeah, like I'm gonna support some team called Sporting KC.

Or be a grown man following the "galaxy"
>>
>>69074915
>2 EPL teams
>>
Chelsea

I used to live with some illegals and they would smoke weed and watch soccer all day because they couldn't work and their parents gave them money. And, they basically brought me up to speed with the finer points of the game, openly admitting that North American soccer is vastly inferior to what was happening in Europe around 2008 or so.

I wasn't until I watch Chelsea and Drogba in that infamous CL semi did I really, really take to watching the game. So, since Chelsea is reason why I even watch the sport, I support them.
>>
>>69075025
I supported Crystal Palace when they were still in the Championship m8. Didn't actually think they would ever make it or stay in the EPL. But I've supported Arsenal longer so they're my number 1
>>
>mfw no britbongs in the thread
>>
File: tumblr_o9dd04GtzM1s71q1zo1_1280.png (971 KB, 750x971) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9dd04GtzM1s71q1zo1_1280.png
971 KB, 750x971
>>69074966
Many US citizens are for the national team, then they cheer for whatever Eurofag team is good that year. They then lecture people about how superior European soccer is from the confines of their ill-fitting replica Arsenal shirts. You know who you are. You know you like like shit in that shirt. Everybody thinks you're a faggot.

Real fans leave mom's basement to drink Yuengling tallboys at the stadium parking lot with their mlsbros. Sometimes we have sex with girls we meet at the game.
>>
>>69075070
they don't like soccer anymore
>>
>>69074978

Crew fan here as well

on suicide watch
>>
>>69074446

Honestly, Arsenal.

I took a summer class in England when I was in college in 2001. On a half day, me and another guy heard that the FA Cup Final was about to start. Not knowing much about club football at the time, we popped into a pub in London that turned out to be full of Arsenal supporters. It was an awesome experience and I was hooked from that point on.
>>
>>69074967
i stuck with the team. by the time Henry left for Barca, I already hated them so it was an easy decision for me. still a Henry fan despite that tho
>>
>>69075174
Yo soy la voz
>>
Chicago Fire are the local MLS team so they have my loyalty, make it out to a couple games every season. Also follow the USMNT, probably more than the Fire.
>>
I'm curious, /sp/.

What if you have a local team, but you don't really like the area in which you live and/or the team doesn't really appeal to you.

what then. and this applies for all sports not just soccer
>>
SJ Earthquakes and USMNT.
>>
>>69075081
MLS seems pretty chill, stadiums are pretty decent and you probably don't get beat up for using the wrong jersey on the wrong side of the road
>>
>>69075277

This is a bad place to ask.

4chan is full of NEETs who still live at home and can't possibly fathom what it must be like to move to another city for a job. Hell, every time they go to a different grocery store they probably feel like fucking Vasco de Gama.

Unless you're talking about not liking the team where you grew up because you hate your hometown. In that case the only real acceptable alternative would be to support the team your father and/or grandfather supported. There's legitimacy in legacy there.
>>
I usually follow the USMNT and CONCACAF teams except Mexico (ehh pu70).
>>
>>69074446

int - USA, Germany, or any team not made up of diving fairies (very few options)

mls - any city that would rather called it soccer instead of football, so kansas city, columbus, portland, new england, etc

epl - any team not named manchester, chelsea or arsenal

the rest - don't care
>>
>>69075277
i'd pick a team from a place you like, where you lived before, or where the rest of your family is from

e.g., I grew up in Atlanta Braves country but hated them, so I bandwagoned the Padres since my mom's side of the family is from San Diego and it's a beautiful area

though i suppose picking a team based on how much you like their playing style is probably the patrician thing to do
>>
>>69075373

thanks, but not what I wanted to hear, lol.

My mindset is: fuck my family, fuck my city, fuck my homestate.

I pick my favorite teams, often from different cities, and follow them to the best of my ability
>>
>>69074446
Let me preface this by saying I first started loving soccer after this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChuABNQOotM

EPL - Watched City win the league in match 38 vs QPR. Liked the "little brother overcoming big brother" storyline. Supported them but heart wasn't really into it after learning about how the sudden influx of money made them good, decided to be neutral

Bundesliga - Played with Bayern Munich in FIFA 11. Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Le cutinside Man and Muller were beasts. Stuck with them.

La Liga - Barca for MESSI

MLS - NYCFC because they're an hour closer than Red Bulls

>Ligue 1, Liga MX, Eredivise, etc.

I occasionally watch Serie A highlights and stream derby games
>>
>>69075517
>Meshit
>>
>>69075475
Gib pomeranz
>>
Sounders because I live in Seattle.

Other leagues I just enjoy watching the games. Can't honestly say I can support a team that is located in a city I have never been to before.
>>
Nobody, I watch soccer games because they can produce the most amazing/hilarious moments and storylines of any sport
>>
Celtic, Man Utd, Naples, and Dynamo Moscow. Also I cheer for iceland, Italy, Ireland (grandfather is from Ireland) and Wales (grandfather is half Welsh)
>>
>>69074873
You have to go back
>>
EPL-Chelsea
BUNDES-Dortmund
LALIGA-Málaga
>>
Chelsea -- 2003 I think -- went to meet some friends at a local pub they were all watching Tottenham my view was obscured so I watched Chelsea and a young lampard knock in a late game winner and I was hooked

I've always been a big Germany fan in the WC (as the USA for most my life has/is a joke I'm 35) so Bayern naturally has been a team to follow
>>
I cheer for werder Bremen and only because I dated a girl who was born there and made me watch matches. Back then it was particularly frustrating because they always transferred their best players to bigger clubs.

In other leagues I just tune in to whatever is on and hope it is entertaining and am usually left disappointed unless a meme happens
>>
>>69074561
>Concacaf bros
>>
liverpool because that's who i ended up liking when i first started watching premier league matches. my step-dad is english and a liverpool fan so i got to visit anfield a couple of years ago.

okc energy because muh local support

gladbach because of the liverpool friendship

usmnt

also rooting for wales because i love the manic street preachers. pic related
>>
>>69074446
I followed Chile for the bantz.
I likes Chelsea sometimes
Im rooting for italy currently, for the bantz of course. Usually i'll go for the underdog or the villian. I cant stand barça fans and faggots that ride the real madrid band wagons.
Man. United fans are bretty based tho
>>
>>69075081
Thank you for showing me the errors pf my autistic ways fampai
>>
>>69075483
Just keep picking teams for the bantz
>>
>>69074446

Newcastle United
>>
>>69074860
cool set of teams tbqh
>>
>all this disgusting bandwagoning ITT
>>
>>69079228
>>
Started supporting Real Madrid in 2010. Haven't jumped off the bandwagon since.

I support USA in international tournaments though, and then hope the countries Real Madrid players play for do well too.

In MLS I support LA Galaxy since I live pretty close to the stadium. I don't watch any games on TV, but I go to about 5 games a season.
>>
>>69079228
frick off
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.