[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the NFL insist on not having a minor league to develop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 20047184-mmmain.jpg (28 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
20047184-mmmain.jpg
28 KB, 620x348
Why does the NFL insist on not having a minor league to develop players? Pretty much every major league in the world has minors/AAA/farm teams that develop their stars and homegrown talent. How great would it be to have small local professional football teams? How great would it be to have a homegrown player win a super bowl for his region? I mean fuck, the NFL is so riddled with draft busts because college is NOT meant to develop you for pros, its to win championships for your school and if you are talented enough you can try to transition your game to the pros which is not an easy thing to do. Most late round picks need a lot of development and sharpening and it's fucking hard to focus on developing some players when a franchise's goal is simply win titles and be the best, and thus players get cut before they even get a real chance then have to ship off to Canada or arena football. I see no reason why the NFL, the biggest and richest league in America does not have a system like this
>>
They used to; it was NFL Europe. Then they shut that down. I'd be down for seeing the USFL make a comeback as a farm league.
>>
NCAA Would never allow it
>>
>>68918979
NCAA doesn't control shit, they have literally zero power over the NFL.
>>
>>68918979
this >>68919018

>>68918860
the concussion issue would become a bigger national topic than it should be , simply because youre allowing teens to compete at a lower yet just as hard hitting level
>>
>>68918938
they should have stuck with NFL Europe, it couldn't have been losing that much money unless the people running it were totally inept.

some times companies do stupid shit to please shareholders in the short term and this sounds like it was one of them.
>>
Nah fuck off, college football is GOAT. No need to start up some irrelevant minor league that no one is going to pay attention to
>>
do you mean a league for athletes to play in instead of or after college ball? wouldnt playing in the "minors" just shorten a players career even more?
>>
>>68918860
Expenses would be my guest.

>Massive expenditures involving infrastructure and equipment.
>Coach/Player salaries for essentially a 2nd Team, nevermind the prospect of more than one tier of Minor League Football. It adds up to more than you think.
>Profit Margin that will always be in the red, due to lesser cities, lesser enthusiam in said cities, and Cable/TV/Internet deals choking the life out of the Minors with Major League Overexposure.
>Unless said league completely enforces a 18-22 Age Limit, the player pool will always be those incapable of making an NFL roster aside from the rare diamond in the rough. Bad for the profit margin.
>Turnover at the NFL level- ownership/management- would totally cook a Minor League club for potentially longer, given you need to have potentially matching philosophies unlike in baseball where it's just individual skills.
>>
>>68919087
If I remember correctly, Frankfurt was drawing 20K+ a game up until the end. Considering this was in Germany, that's... pretty fucking good.
>>
>>68919154

This
>>
>teams on hook for 50ish more players salaries
>need new stadiums
>fans have literally no attachment to any newly created team and so no desire to go and watch the team

And that's just off the top of my head as a foreigner. NFL Europe is a decent idea because it gives NFL fans an opportunity to see something live that they can't see otherwise.
>>
>>68918860

its just cheaper for them not to have one right now
>>
nobody wants to watch shitty football players who couldn't make the NFL or even CFL

no owners want to shell out millions for a fail league that won't get decent attendance and come with the massive TV revenue that the NFL does, nor do they want to pay salaries for shitty players

no players who aren't getting paid millions to do so will spend years toiling away in the minor leagues, slowly watching their brain turned to mush

if it was in any way profitable or feasible, it would be done. it isn't.
>>
>>68919590
Testin
>>
The NCAA is literally a free minor league
>>
>>68919683
it is also now an inadequate minor league because of spread offenses, potentially elite prospects are being ruined in the name of winning championships for their university.
>>
>>68919096
Nobody gives a shit about college football besides people that went there and rednecks, id rather watch a pro minor league team than college 99/100
>>
Because college already supplies them with enough players to fill rosters.
Like you say, they do not develop them for the pros and there are a fuckload of busts, but 500+ people are added to the pool every year through the draft and those hundreds of undrafted guys that sign 5 seconds after the draft is over. With that many coming in, there will always be enough that pan out.
>>
If you are out of NCAA eligibility and you aren't good enough for the NFL you play in the CFL. If you aren't good enough for that then you go to the arena league.
>>
>>68919835
>nobody
college football gets better ratings than any other sports league, other than the NFL, in the country, you stupid faggot
>>
The CFL is sort of like a minor league, they have an agreement with the NFL for contracts and stuff.
>>
>>68919154
I don't think it would be for players that are likely to contribute from day one of their careers.

It would have your practice squad guys, undrafted free agents, project players, probably some wily old vets that might useful depth but aren't good enough to start at this point in their careers, etc etc
>>
NFL owners have no desire to as long as the current NCAA system is in place. They can say they do, but the minute the NFL would ask them to put in some of their money for a feeder league, they'd throw a tantrum.
>>
I wouldn't mind having a secondary league, not for prospects but just for players and cities that aren't up to NFL standards. Had the UFL for a while but they choked when they gambled on the NFL locking out.
>>
The career of an NFL player is like 3 years already on average. You want them to develop for 1-2 years and miss 25% of their careers? Besides, that's why college football is there.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.