[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 665x492) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 665x492
Will Americans ever embrace soccer?
>>
Fuck no
>>
>games in strange timeslots due to timezones
>top players dont even speak english so aren't marketable/relatable
>not enough scoring

no
>>
>>68793847
eventually
>>
I would but I dunno where to begin desu
>>
only suburban moms
>>
Nope

The best athletes would choose 5 sports over soccer. It's basically rejects and unwanted's playing soccer. See Michael Bradley
>>
>>68793847
Nope, americans aren't athletes
>>
Nope. Just Mexican immigrants.
>>
>>68793847
yes and it's going to be a fucking beautiful wonderful thing when it happens

once the abomination of a """""""""""""""""""""sport""""""""""""""""""""""" that is baseball finally fucks off and disappears forever soccer will take it's place inshallah

can't happen soon enough
>>
Americans have a stigma that soccer is boring and not tactical enought like football. Football is very tactical and you have to be athletic to play but we don't realize that in soccer you have to be both tactical and athletic. We don't get that our own 11 players on the field have to be the technicians unlike the coach, Qb, and rover on defense for football. Once we start looking at it like war as we do in football, we will be great in soccer.
>>
>>68793847
no, food culture in the US would need to change and I don't think it will

americans are currently too fat to be good at real football
>>
>>68793910
>the best athletes

who

i don't know any of those
>>
>>68794007
Time to leave your cave, the list of richest athletes is dominated by Americans
>>
File: sp sports.png (268 KB, 1351x2144) Image search: [Google]
sp sports.png
268 KB, 1351x2144
>>68793847
Never. It's a semen slurping sport, but our increasing latino immigrant population will make our team better and better.

But remember that USA will ALWAYS see it for what it is:
a semen slurping sport
>>
>>68794007
imagine LeBron motherfucking James as a goalkeeper

holy shit he would make 3rd world manlets look like a womens team trying to score against him
>>
File: greg_raymer.jpg (206 KB, 1200x884) Image search: [Google]
greg_raymer.jpg
206 KB, 1200x884
>>68794007
>>
Yes.

The next generation already is more and more. They'res also a pretty big change we get ass ravaged by immigrants and they bring soccer with them.

It will be 10-20 years but we will, and I will be sad.
>>
>>68793978
>soccer tactical
>literally just fuck around until there's a hole or someone trips
>>
>>68794200
>lebron james
>Russell Wilson
>Julio Jones
>Antonio Brown
>Mike Trout
>CP3
>Blake Griffin
>LeVeon Bell
>J.J. Watt
>LeSean McCoy
>Cam Newton

it really wouldnt be fair for the rest of the world
>>
>>68793847
Only after we win a World Cup.

You see the issue with this.
>>
>>68795155
>silently filled with joy as you didn't include curry
>>
>>68795155
>they're good at one sport, so they'll be good at another sport!

this is what amnerifats actually believe
>>
File: bruh_by_floraaritcwolf-d8j7z1s.png (320 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
bruh_by_floraaritcwolf-d8j7z1s.png
320 KB, 500x375
>>68795176
>Athleticism doesnt translate to other sports

senpai, you know better than this
>>
>>68795176
We physically have the best athletes, there's minimal corruption in our leages, and our coaches are dedicated.

Now if only they grew up kicking a soccer ball instead of shooting hoops.
>>
>>68795206
Athleticism is code for big nigger yes?
>>
File: 1464491954483.jpg (54 KB, 323x249) Image search: [Google]
1464491954483.jpg
54 KB, 323x249
>>68795237
no, /pol/, thats not what it means
>>
>>68795176
The argument is generally that these people are both physically gifted and athletic, and if they had chosen soccer instead of football, keeping their athleticism and height/strength/whatever bit transferring their skillset to one that matches an appropriate position for their build, they would be in a good position to be great players...hypothetically.
>>
>>68795237

Brexit, is that you?
>>
>>68795237
England is code for choke right? Got great names, but you can't get past an injury ridden Russia.
>>
>>68795206
Athleticism isn't the be all end all of soccer compared to sports like football and basketball.
>>
>>68794200
>lebron james
>there's no traveling calls in soccer
10,00000,000 goals confirmed
>>
File: 1464550077224.png (51 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1464550077224.png
51 KB, 512x512
>>68795257

>people still believe this argument
>>
>>68793992

thats dumb

british people and mexicans are basically just as fat at this point, its called an average

not like all the obese americans are playing other sports anyway

you can be fat and be a good american football lineman, but thats not an option for most fat people, you have to be tall and strong, and only then can you be good in spite of your fatness

you can be okay at baseball as a fat person too i suppose

but most american athletes arent fat

the only thing that needs to change to make america good at soccer is the best athletes need to grow up focusing on soccer rather than focusing on other sports

its not very common for somebody to become a truly great soccer player without having made it their life as a teenager and young adult. too many of our best athletes are choosing other sports instead and thats fine, we'll take our gold medals and other sports
>>
>>68795257
yeah that's why african countries always dominate at world cups
>>
>>68795257
you don't "choose" to play football and become good at it. most great players kept playing everywhere they could from a very young age. that's what the US lacks, kids playing football down the streets
>>
>>68795257
but football moved past that for a good 50years

>6-12 years teach the guy how to handle the ball
>12-16 teach it how to see in the field, rapid decisionmaking and top form which allow him to do 250sprints a match
>16+ get experience and improve till the end of his career

football is a science by now, they eat what they are told, they are followed by GPS in training to see where/how and how fast they move
making sure the right muscles are developed to give them that extra speed on 50m sprint, and so on

for this you need professionals and infrastructure, its far more difficult than to just switch balls
>>
>>68795133
Lol
>>
"No."
>>
>>68795270
youre right, but they also have the finesse that is required for the skill positions they play that translates to soccer. just because theyre big strong or fast doesnt mean that they are going to immediately be good at a sport.
>>
>>68795280

thats because its a good argument

people who are good athletes could be good in lots of different sports (although being really really tall like an NBA player is not ideal in soccer)

somebody like adrian peterson could've been an excellent soccer player if thats the sport he chose

same goes for mike trout

it didnt work out that way, in high school they played baseball and football, but i guarantee you if those people had trained from early teens to be soccer players, they would be elite
>>
>>68795303

thats what he means by choosing

instead they chose to play baseball and football at a very young age

if they had chosen soccer, they might've become great soccer players instead
>>
>>68795298
Africa doesn't have the infrastructure to allow youths to train even as well as our impoverished ghettos. Looking just at the physical traits, and aptitude at their current sports, it is not inconceivable that they, in an alternate universe where Americans care about soccer, could have been good players.
>>
>>68795303
Exactly, they are playing basketball, football etc. But IF they had been playing soccer, why is it impossible theyd be able to transfer their athletic abilities?
>>
>>68795310
>34-44 years to get gud

Lmao wut
>>
>>68795310
>>68795303

in the hypothetical that soccer is as big here as football is, we would have all of those things.
>>
>>68795321
he would be lost around age 16 where he cant develop his skills further locally and eventually dumbed down to MLS level
>>
>>68795270

athleticism isnt the be all end all of football either, what separates NFL players from that really strong fast dude at the gym is skill
>>
>>68795321
Nigga no. Sports skills are not interchangeable. Micheal Jordan was dogshit at baseball
>>
>>68795349
if soccer was even remotely close to the same popularity as those, the MLS would actually be a top flight league. since in this hypothetical situation we dont have the popularity of basketball/football/baseball
>>
>>68795270
>Athleticism isn't the be all end all of soccer compared to sports like football and basketball.

I would actually argue that athleticism is more important in soccer than those sports.

First of all, generally speaking, soccer athleticism is displayed a bit differently than in basketball and football. For example, Messi's skills wouldn't be possible without his sprint speed (I believe he's the faster player with the ball) and freakish hand(foot)-eye coordination, which I consider an athletic trait.

Also, when a soccer player turns 30, he's considered "old," and past his prime, so the implication is that his skillset can't overcome his athleticism loss.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady will likely be an MVP candidate at 38 next season. Even the "athletic" positions like WR had 40 year olds like Jerry Rice still putting up All Pro numbers.

And in basketball, players have won the MVP at 33, 34, 36 (Karl Malone), etc.
>>
>>68795360
sports skills are not, Athleticism is though.
>>
I don't know. I went to.an insanely busy sports bar tonight, and it was still only 30% people watching USA and 70% watching out local baseball team in a meaningless reg. season game
>>
>>68795349

not if soccer was growing in popularity all around the USA

if all around the USA our best athletes were playing soccer from a young age, then they would be able to continue to grow as young adults, and even if the MLS wasnt at the same level as european clubs, they could travel, just like the best latin american baseball players travel to the US when they become adults

you can be certain that their 16 yr old teams in latin america dont match the highest level of american 16 yr old baseball teams, but that doesnt stop them from making progress and joining the MLB as adults
>>
>>68795360

>michael jordan was dogshit at baseball
>good enough to play NCAA and even MLB
>in spite of dedicating his life to a completely different sport and being 6'6" which is a disadvantage in baseball

youre retarded, he may not have been good enough to play in the MLB but that in no way is a point against my argument
>>
Ronnie O'Sullivan would be the GOAT baseball player tbph
>>
>>68795401

i could see that

got that hand-eye coordination
>>
>>68795270
>athleticism
Bale, Robben, Poatchnaldo (in his prime)
>>
>>68795401
I want to see a cricket player come and play in the MLB, they would probably be the GOAT outfielders/basemen
>>
>>68795401

He's got zero power.

When he tried pool, he broke the balls like a girl.

t. played both baseball and cue games, and the application of handeye coordination are quite different.
>>
>>68794200
Calvin Johnson would probs be a better goalkeeper

I mean take this for example. The fastest soccer player iruns 21 mph at 5'11 172lbs. Lebron is 6'8 250 and runs 20 mph. And hes not even the fastest player in basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTYsrbdnrs
>>
>>68795365
this

>>68795133
this

>>68795427
no
>>
File: Crik.png (45 KB, 553x329) Image search: [Google]
Crik.png
45 KB, 553x329
>>68795427

It's the other way around. Cricket teams have been hiring baseball coaches to teach them how to field for a while now.
>>
>it's another americans thinking athleticism and size are the end all be all in soccer
>they forget that the best player is a 5'6" autist who eats pizza and drinks soda
>another top 10 player is a German autist who gets his own limbs confused sometimes
laughing at the 'lol send our big fast niggers to the sport and win everything'
literally why zardes starts for us when you can't tell the difference between his dribbling and a shot or cross half the time
us program currently is just be fast and run more
and we're shit, I mean we can beat literal third world shitholes but any decent team we'll struggle against
>>
>>68795570
>bale, robben, poatchnaldo (prime)

What do they all have in common? Pace
>>
>>68795683
Thats what separates them from decent player to world class, though. Our development here is 100% about physical aspects. Watch zardes try to dribble or beckerman try to pass, it doesn't work.
>>
Soccer sucks
>>
>>68795570
bulldoze messi until he gets hurt. Yellows everywhere but hell break eventually
>>
>>68795913
>yellows
>for fouls with intent to injure
???
they didn't need messi tonight anyway
>>
If we do I'm confident that baseball will grow in worldwide popularity.

Why? Because people will want to say they can beat the USA at something because we'll be kicking everyone's ass at soccer yet probably still doing shitty in international baseball tournaments.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.