[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In order for the NBA to be rigged, players would have to be able
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16
File: adam silver.jpg (68 KB, 630x787) Image search: [Google]
adam silver.jpg
68 KB, 630x787
In order for the NBA to be rigged, players would have to be able to make shots on command. We know this to be objectively impossible.
>>
>>68720454
That's a pretty narrow view akchwally. There are multiple ways to control for an outcome that is favourable for the NBA organisation, here's some off the top of my head:

>Refs foul out a player
>Refs call phantom fouls
>Ref DON'T call fouls
>Don't suspend a player
>Pay a player to have an "off" game
>>
>>68720527
All of these can influence an outcome but there are many other variables at play that determine the final score of a game. The best you could do is alter the variables you do have control over and hope it goes your way.
>>
>>68720527
the trip faggot is right. players being 100% accurate with their shots on demand would only be one way to "rig" the games.

the games don't really need to be rigged, just heavily skewed, and as this tripfag pointed out, noncalls by refs can be more detrimental than calls by refs
>>
>>68720454
Having one team shoot almost twice as many free throws.
>>
M A G N E T S
>>
Game 6 was completely rigged from the start. Curry's quick 2 fouls and shit was over from there.
>>
>>68720653
How much more of an influence does a noncall or bad call have than a made or missed shot, of which happen much more often in a game? That is to say, the outcome is more heavily determined by plays with which the refs have no influence.
>>
>>68720688
If a team is fouled more, should the refs not call them in order to have a more balanced free throw stat comparison?
>>
>>68720712
ofc, the best way to rig basketball would be to ensure players put balls through on demand. i'm saying you can influence a game enough without that to tip the scales enough to cause the desired outcome
>>
>>68720709
Are the refs to blame for calling them or Curry for fouling?
>>
>>68720709

Fuck off

Kevin "curry stopper" Love got 3 fouls in 3 mins. This is after the big 3 score 84 points in the previous game
>>
>>68720754
It's possible but it's also no guarantee that it will work because of all the variables at play. Like I said, all you would be able to do is hope it goes your way because the vast majority of the game is determined by the players.
>>
>>68720701
I literally wouldn't be surprised

I'm serious
>>
>>68720822
Except the cavs probably hit less jump shots than the warriors at around the same percentage
>>
There is a magnet inside the ball. The hoop is also magnetized. Adam Silver or someone just flicks a polarity switch to make the hoop either attract or repel the ball.
>>
people think Officiating is 100% black vs white type calls. I agree with they dont always get it right, but different officials have different beliefs on what they should call and what the yshould just let play on. Humans are in control of officiating so its always never gonna be to anyones liking, just like police, some cops will let a roach in the ashtray go, some will rip you out and go ape on your ass
>>
>>68720454
Just look at him

Are people actually trying to tell me that that man isn't rigging something for money? LOL
>>
>>68720454
I really hate to be this guy, but... come on...

/pol/ was right again.
>>
The NBA shills are working overtime I see.
>>
File: FUCKINGMAGNETS.jpg (41 KB, 663x428) Image search: [Google]
FUCKINGMAGNETS.jpg
41 KB, 663x428
>>68720897
y no ball ever stucked 2 hoop den?
>>
also what i've never understood is why come the fucking nba doesn't just increase the length of the series if it's really rigging fucking games for ratings? wouldn't saying it's now best of 9 automatically increase ratings a lot more effectively and efficiently without the risk?
>>
>>68720454
Come on bro the rigged thing is just a 4chan meme. Nobody unironically believes that shit. People on here arent that stupid. R-right?
>>
>>68722051
Fuck off shill
>>
>>68722024
>9 games of apehoop

That's dumb as shit
>>
>>68722051
People actually believe it, which is why you should passive aggressively shitpost in their threads until they leave.

If it fixed, who cares? It's clearly entertaining. If it's not fixed, who cares? It's still entertaining. These types just like to bitch about nothing so they can feel heard on the internet.
>>
File: image.png (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
84 KB, 500x500
>>68722164
>spend your time cleverly convincing people the games aren't rigged and make them stop talking about it
>watching scripted games is entertaining anyways!!
>>
as someone who played pro ball in europe but knows how the nba is , they can make 9 out of 10 shots guaranteed . The rig is never set with the whole team just the star players , its one of the requisites to become a star player. thats why alot of really talented players never make it , because they wont sell out . and thanks to bookies who give odds on literally everything from how many 3s he will do , to the color of the gatorade they drink , its not always about losing games
>>
>>68720454
>In order for the NBA to be rigged, players would have to be able to miss shots on command. We know this to be objectively possible.
FTFY
>>
>>68720712
Noncalls give or take away points or ball possession, both can be crucial. Bad calls can do the same while they can also limit play time of a player of crucial importance due to foul trouble which can also be game changing.
>>
>>68722164
The majority of people don't care if it's rigged, but that rigging can have a serious impact on certain cities. Sports success can really help grow cities. The University of Alabama, for example, has grown by near 10k students since Nick Saban became head coach.
>>
File: mjlol.png (13 KB, 61x80) Image search: [Google]
mjlol.png
13 KB, 61x80
>>68720779
Every time.
>>
When will they meme Anthony Davis his rings?
>>
File: anthony davis.jpg (24 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
anthony davis.jpg
24 KB, 630x420
>>68726659
Soon.
>>
There is a refrigerated copper wire that shrinks the material of the hoop when the nba needs a team to miss shots, and expands with the frost is turned off
>>
>>68726735
this is WAY more plausible than magnets

but then, wouldn't the hoop sweat from the rapid cooling/heating?
>>
>>68720688
It's almost like one team was shooting a lot more 3s and the other was scoring primarily in the paint or something
>>
>>68720454
I wouldn't say the NBA is rigged. It's just littered with the worst officiating of any league in all levels of competition.
>>
>>68720454

>players routinely hit 90/100 deep 3's in practice
>can barely hit 3/10 in-game
>>
File: 1460588686519.jpg (31 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
1460588686519.jpg
31 KB, 400x305
>>68722003
look up nba ball and rim magnetized.. fan hits a half court shot that sticks to the rim in ATL. during the playoffs memphis/LAC the ball sticks to the rim. I'm not the same guy but I honestly believe the rim and ball are magnetized, how else is curry hitting 32 foot jumpers consistently? Suddenly the last 3 games everything he throws up is brick city.
>>
>>68727118

Yay! Kobe missed all those shots because rape haters repelled his balls. GOAT
>>
File: ad.jpg (40 KB, 266x369) Image search: [Google]
ad.jpg
40 KB, 266x369
>>68727118
is $ilver gonna have to cut open a ball to prove this dumb theory wrong?
>>
File: 1456526050705.jpg (55 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1456526050705.jpg
55 KB, 480x720
>>68727192
explain the ball sticking to the rim in both instances, especially the half court shot. physics dictates that that should never EVER happen
>>
>>68727192
Once again, Kobe is proven to be the GOAT of all time
>>
faker than the WWE
>>
>>68727239
>implying he won't cut open a dummy ball
>>
>>68727239
maybe it isn't in the ball, maybe it is the strips on the ball. there is a patent for magnetized basketball and rim. also I remember a Disney movie that used that premise, make it seem childish and fake then use it in real life. I wonder why the new ball all of a sudden about a decade ago
>>
>>68727272
No physics allows that
>>
File: 1466394453278.jpg (15 KB, 295x325) Image search: [Google]
1466394453278.jpg
15 KB, 295x325
>>68727118
>>68727272

no legitimate response? mad your apehoop is fixed? can't live with the fact that the NBA is WWE tier? I'm a knicks fan so I have no dog in the finals fight, but fuck me if this shit isn't rigged
>>
>>68727451
no.. they dont. you probably failed out of high school.

kys
>>
File: 1465170876087.jpg (32 KB, 640x524) Image search: [Google]
1465170876087.jpg
32 KB, 640x524
this dude called the outcome a month ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkb4uG-KCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFdkxjVhIBo

it's literally rigged, check the date
>>
>>68727522

>22
>dubs of truth

the zionost jew run the show, we're just the paupers they entertain
>>
>>68727522
"Calling" the outcome of a sporting event is meaningless, unless you have an inside source with credible proof, you're just throwing darts at a dartboard.
>>
>>68727698
he used numerology
>>
>>68727724
Oh ok, in that case, it's totally legit
>>
File: 1455850422369.jpg (125 KB, 1776x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455850422369.jpg
125 KB, 1776x1000
funny how this thread is being slid. if they can't get it off the board there will be a reign of shitposts until it reaches the bump limit. the nba is fixed, magnets in the hoops anf reffing dictate the score of the game. that's why the gemetria shit lines up
>>
>>68727786
>I wonder whose behind this post
>>
>>68727843
I'm part of the masonic order, reading your brainwaves as we speak
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 439x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 439x290
Seriously Silver or was it Silverstein?
>>
>>68727272
ever played the BB game in chuck e cheese or similar arcade shithole? sometimes you get the ball stuck between rim and backboard. it fucking happens.
>>
>>68727272
>physics dictates
please provide proof of said impossibility

it's a bit ridiculous to think that the equipment would be rigged up like that for so many years, and no one has talked about it or provided some evidence

governments can't keep shit secret, and you think the NBA can?

refs working certain games differently is a whole other issue, and that I can buy happening on occasion
>>
>>68727943
nah son, a ball is not sticking from half court. a ball is not sticking on a layup attempt. the shitty arcade game hoops are far enough from the backboard that the ball sticks between the side of the rim and the backboard, not sticking perfectly in the middle of the connector of the rim and backboard. that half court stick is physically impossible
>>
>>68728114
>physically impossible

it really isn't, it's just highly unlikely. The right impact point and the force being balanced out against the rim connector and the backboard. The ball makes contact with both
>>
>>68728114
No it happens, play some basketball on any court and you'll see it happen eventually.
>>
I thought the only fix in game 7 was to keep it close, some of those calls early in the game against the Warriors were bullshit. But when the Cavs started making a run the refs started blowing the whistle on them.

And the game was wide open for ether team to win, Warriors couldn't make a basket, the LeBron block, and Curry throwing the ball out of bounds.
>>
NBA actually has a history of refs rigging games.

Purposely give a player a one games suspension to try and force a game six.

Weird fouls.

Never been able to get into the NBA although I love every other pro sport and love college bball.

The league influence just seems too significant to ignore in the NBA.
>>
>>68728249
NBA
>where the impossible happens

take a thousand half court shots, not one will stick. The force of the throw ensures that the ball will bounce out or go in. there is no angle in which the ball will stick to the rim connector like that.
>>
Though I don't believe the NBA is rigged entirely, it is entirely possible to throw a game without having players making shots.

>Give player A some money, the misses shots
>Give coach A some money, he does bad rotations
>Give ref A some money, he makes bad calls

Though in this case it really wouldn't make sense, money wise, to rig it in favor of Cleveland. The Curry cash cow is so huge right now, him losing will hurt his brand.
>>
>>68728316
I ball everyday, the ball never sticks to the rim connector. between the side of the rim and backboard? sure happens from time to time.

directly on the connector of the rim to the backboard? with the force of a half court shot? I don't think so champ
>>
>>68728404
You keep saying it's impossible without providing any evidence to back it up.

It is possible and happens. It might not happen in a thousand shots, but there are 30 teams, taking 80+ shots a game, for 82 games, it's statistically likely to happen. Play some basketball, you can see for yourself.
>>
>>68728539
>It is possible and happens. It might not happen in a thousand shots, but there are 30 teams, taking 80+ shots a game, for 82 games, it's statistically likely to happen. Play some basketball, you can see for yourself.
This. With a sample size of 200,000 shots it's not surprising to see weird shit.
>>
>>68728539
look up the d wade shot that sticks to the connector against the raptors this year in the playoffs. I play everyday, shit like that never happens.

you're a shill
>>
As it has been said before, it's more of a case that they are very selective in their decisions as to influence the outcomes of the games.

Green should have been suspended for hitting Adams in the balls multiple times. No exception. But they didn't because they preferred to have Golden State in the finals, because they would make more money for the league than OKC. But ultimately, it was Westbrook's hero-ball that doomed OKC in the end.

This is the same reason why they chose to suspend Green for doing far less in the finals, along with all of those ridiculous calls on Curry. Another Golden State raping of Cleveland means less money. Making it go 6 or 7 games makes for better TV.

But utimatley, it was up to the players to decide the outcomes however. Andrew Bogut getting hurt changed things significantly. And it was Curry's terrible play, combined with Kyre's and LeBron's fantastic play that decided it, not to mention the rest of Cleveland's defense being spectacular.
>>
>>68720454
You're retarded. When people talk about rigging they just mean teams getting significant help from referees. In a sport where you can foul out it's pretty easy to influence players to play badly by calling weak fouls. It's not literally choreographed shot for shot.
>>
>>68728658
>I play everyday, shit like that never happen

Anecdotal evidence

Even you playing every day (which is unlikely) doesn't equate to 30 teams playing every day for 50+ years.

Also it may be less likely for it to occur for an average basketball player, but professionals shoot the ball with a higher release point with more arc on the ball, making it more likely to happen.
>>
File: Handcuffs.jpg (2 MB, 1702x1128) Image search: [Google]
Handcuffs.jpg
2 MB, 1702x1128
>>68722164
>If it fixed, who cares? It's clearly entertaining
Who cares are the people who spend money on a product that is sold as *not* being rigged.

Getting people to spend billions of dollars for a product that's not what it claims to be is a felony called fraud.

(Or an election, but that's a different board.)
>>
>>68728827
lol what does the release point have to do with the ball sticking to the rim connector? how does a ball bouncing around the rim suddenly come to a complete stop on that part of the rim? It doesn't, watch the tape, the ball stops on the connector and wobbles around as the magnetic force stops it from going through the hoop (clearly evident on the d wade play).

nbaidf please stop
>>
>>68729001
If it really upsets you, you should probably get some evidence instead of whining about it on a sports board.

Proof fraud even if not legally pursued by the government would still have a devastating effect to fan interest, causing billions of dollars in lost revenue and the potential collapse of the league.
>>
>>68729092
The NBA can legally rig the matches if they want. It's a privately owned and operated league

Good try though
>>
>>68720454
The refs are the invisible third team that can cheat for the losing team if it wants to. Fouls happen every possession, but they decide who gets those free shots and who gets fouled out.
>>
>>68729161
No, fraud is criminal deception for financial gain. If the NBA markets itself to the public as a legitimate sports league and sells tickets to it's games while fixing the outcomes that falls under fraud.
>>
>>68720712
no shit, they let the game flow then make or refuse to make calls as necessary to favour a certain team
>>
>>68720454
I think it matters what we define as rigged. The league could have the refs call a game a certain way that would favor one team. That doesn't mean the team will necessarily win, but it would improve their odds of winning.
>>
File: 1466414471781.jpg (64 KB, 708x364) Image search: [Google]
1466414471781.jpg
64 KB, 708x364
>>68728413
>it really wouldn't make sense, money wise, to rig it in favor of Cleveland. The Curry cash cow is so huge right now
What? Curry isn't a tenth as marketable as James.

James just signed an endorsement deal with Nike worth *a billion dollars*.

And now the NBA has their Hero, the Prodigal Son-turned-Savior who brought a champion to his hometown of Cleveland and freed them from half a century of suffering, to be their new Jordan.

How much is a new Jordan worth?
>>
>>68729233
all pro sports leagues have "for entertainment purposes only" or something along those lines printed on the ticket. they are not bound to fraud law because they never claim outright that their games are not rigged. Or so I've heard, don't shoot the messenger
>>
>>68729233
Has the NBA ever officially marketed itself as such? Or do we just expect it to be that way?

The NBA is under no obligation to the fan. As we've already clearly seen, rules are arbitrary and enforced differently at different times to benefit different teams
>>
The NBA isn't rigged for the same reason that every major conspiracy theory (eg JFK, moon landings, 9/11) is false.

The amount of people that would have to be in on it makes it completely infeasible that every single one of them would keep their mouth shut about it
>>
>>68729307
No they don't, have you really never bought a ticket before?
>>
>>68729247
Absolutely right.

The rigging in the NBA is about skewing the odds so the NBA's preferred outcomes are much more likely. It's like embezzling, or cheating at cards - while it's good to get big paydays, it's even more important to *never get caught*. If the marks figure out they're being scammed, then the whole system collapses - so sometimes it's necessary to lose a few hands of cards to keep the suckers throwing their money in the pot.
>>
>>68729433
Nobody would believe them anyways. What would they gain by opening their mouth?
>>
>>68729449
Not him, but have you ever seen the NBA officially advertised as a fair league that isn't scripted?
>>
>>68729042
>lol what does the release point have to do with the ball sticking to the rim connector?
Did you never take even hs physics?
>>
>>68729537
yes, I have. have you ever even played basketball before?
>>
>>68729498
If it's scripted, it has to expressly say that, not the other way around. It market's itself as a sports league, not an entertainment company.
>>
>>68729433
That's such a ludicrous straw man it's barely worth responding.

As has already been shown here, the number of people needed to rig the outcome of NBA games is trivially small - at most a handful.

The reason why NBA can rig the games is because it's so *easy*.
>>
>>68729596
No it doesn't you fucking retard. Where did you hear that?
>>
>>68729594
Yes, I have. You've still yet to post concrete proof, still keep falling back on anecdotal evidence and still haven't acknowledge that a release angle can play into the distribution of force.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

surely everyone knows this shit was rigged though?
>>
File: Flounder.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Flounder.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>68729233
>>68729340
"Suckers, we never said we didn't rig the games" isn't much of a defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXtWxhlsUg
>>
>>68729652
You can't deceive the public for profit. The NBA list's itself as a professional sports league, and thus is legally obligated to provide a sport. Whereas something like the WWE list's itself as an entertainment corporation and thus has free reign to create fixed matches for entertainment purposes.

Just like an investment firm is legally obligated to invest money in legitimate businesses and not be a ponzi scheme. Using the excuse "we didn't expressly say it wasn't a ponzi scheme" doesn't work.
>>
>>68729878
K, do you have a source?
>>
>>68729690
sure a release angle can change the distribution of force, a release angle can't make a ball stick to the rim like the instances I've pointed out. how much is the nba paying you to shill for them?
>>
>>68729433
Nope, payoff the so called "leaders" of a team and everyone will blindly follow without any hesitation. Want to see how rigging in sports can work perfectly watch some old boxing matches.
>>
File: NBA Trophy.jpg (4 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
NBA Trophy.jpg
4 MB, 2736x3648
>>68729803
There are those who see, those who don't yet see, and those who won't see.

To paraphrase Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his team's championship depends upon his not understanding it."
>>
>>68729914
I'm just explaining what fraud is, I guess you can google "fraud" if you're still curious.
>>
>>68730164
Dude are you seriously trying to tell me that companies done get away with false advertising all the time? Do you think a billion dollar company doesn't have lawyers to Jew their way out of anything that could come up? It won't though because nobody could convince most people that it's rigged anyways

Everybody knows big business is corrupt but then act like sports can't be, because they have an emotional attachment to it
>>
>>68730294
I'm not saying it can't be corrupted, I'm just saying the NBA is a sports organization and fixing matches falls under the category of fraud and is illegal.
>>
>>68730354
I doubt most people posting here have any idea of the enormity of the financial cost (and jail time) were the NBA to ever be found to be fixing games.

Luckily for the NBA, the only way it could ever be proved is for someone to admit it. And so far the only one who has is Tim Donaghy, who was tried and convicted for rigging games - but the NBA says we shouldn't believe him because he's a convicted criminal!
>>
>>68730837
The problem is, having your multi-billion dollar corporation built upon the silence of all past, present and future referees is not a very stable business strategy.

If they were smart, they would try to provide a fair and competitive league and let the players themselves create exciting games simply through their play on the court.
>>
>>68731188
Ah, but history shows basing one's multi-billion dollar corporation on the greed and self-interest of all past, present, and future conspirators is a *very* stable - and profitable - business strategy.

I say that with no joy, just acceptance.

That the NBA is neither fair nor competitive is why I no longer watch.
>>
It could never be at the player level. It would be at the coaches/gms/refs level. I don't think it's rigged like they go out and say team x is going to win. But the refs do

>>68731188
referees are easy to silence.
>>
>>68730837
Countries go to war and kill people for false reasons for money and nobody cares. You think the NBA gives a shit?
>>
>>68731922
I wasn't saying the NBA didn't do it - quite the opposite. I was trying to say how there's a staggering financial incentive for the NBA to fix the games, for the people who make millions (even the refs make a great salary, and of course the players make $$$$$) to never violate NBA omerta about it, and for the for all the people in the NBA zaibatsu to aggressively attack anyone who questions them. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>68732865
Nah, sorry I read your post and understood it but then I replied to yours because I just scanned the top part again and thought you were the guy saying it wasn't rigged. I know what you mean. You could literally come up for a reason why anybody could be lying if they admitted it was rigged. My bad
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.