[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are England perpetually good but never great? What has stopped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: eng-er-land.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
eng-er-land.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1200
Why are England perpetually good but never great? What has stopped England becoming a France, a Germany or Spain who manage to take it to the next level and actually win tournaments?
>>
>>68694932
The ref.
>>
The EU is dragging them down. Make England great again! #Brexit #VoteLeave
>>
>>68694932
You guys should just leave
>>
>>68694932
>Why are England perpetually good but never great?
maybe they are perpetually not as good as they think
>>
>>68694999
delet
>>
>>68694999
Ehhh, England has been pretty consistently respectable for a long time, just never actually great. Ignore the media hype and bullshit, and you've got a team that almost always qualifies for the major tournaments and usually gets knocked out in the quarters.
>>
>>68695086
Arsenal in the Champions League reflects your national team in the EC and WC.
>>
>>68694932
France and Spain are one - maybe two - time wonders, Germany is even more consistent than Italy

>4 world cups
>3 euros
>3 consecutive wc finals in 82, 86 and 90

Also England will never be as good as other countries simply because you guys chose to not face any non-british teams before the 50s. English football level is literally 30-40 years behind all the others
>>
>>68695086
English players weren't technical enough to keep possession against a big team. Youth coaches in England are shit and they focus on speed and physicality rather than the ability to keep the ball. That's why they always get knocked out by the first big opposition they meet because they surrender possession and concede a lot more chances. The problem is they never embraced their strengths and tried to play fast counter-attacking football ala Leicester and tried to beat Germany/Italy at their own game.

However this new team is definitely an improvement and England might have a genuine chance of making the semis or final. It's the best team since 2006 for sure.
>>
>>68696869
I agree about the coaching having the wrong emphasis, but I have an unpopular theory that no-one talks about: the UK has shit weather and inadequate facilities to compensate for it at the youth level.

I think people massively under-rate the impact of facilities. I mean, fucking Burton get to use the national training shit and have made it into the Championship despite the odds.

And, hey, look at Iceland, who have invested a fucking fortune in indoor facilities and a country with a population the size of fucking Derby are competing with the likes of Portugal.
>>
>>68694932

English players
>>
>>68694932
For the same reason that humans create temples, they created this holy sport so that gods could be contemplated. And that's why only brazilians achieved divinity in those Elysian fields of justice: ٭٭٭٭٭
>>
>>68694932

You are forgetting something very important my friend

It's coming home
>>
>>68695086
>consistently respectable
>crash out of the group stages of the world cup
>>
>>68694932
England has not been perpetually good.

England has been perpetually mediocre. It's a mediocre national team and even though the Premier League is the most entertaining by far - the clubs are mediocre in an European context.
>>
>>68694964
What do people outside of Europe actually think of Brexit? Do you think we should leave?
>>
>>68704333
I think you should leave but then again I'm anti-EU in general
>>
>>68703705

this is horribly accurate

but then with the rub of the green in a few contexts or having a better mentality for penalities, we'd have won at least 3, maybe 4 World Cups in recent years and be vying with Brazil for GOAT status

luckily we are very sporting losers despite these appalling luck
>>
>>68704333
i want you to leave but im kind of biased because my family is british
>>
just kidding: >>68703365

Actually, I'm still thinking about that but I can't find a unified reason that sounds true. England is always going to be respectable because they created the sport, but that shouldn't be enough for them. They won in 66 and then never again... I think it's a multiplicity of reasons.
I don't know much about England, but I can imagine why Brazil has achieved absolute success in the sport (memes aside, please). Just to begin with, we have a strong culture in sports over here. Essentially we have two seasons and not four: rainy season and sun season, and it's sunny most of the year and it helps a lot. Our culture encourages us to keep an hectic routine rather than a taciturn. I'm 24 years old and I've practiced 5 different sports all my life with considerable performances in each of them.
Except for snow sports, we have a good performance in many of the others. But still we strive to achieve excellence for many times. I attribute that to the infrastructure of the country. Fortunatelly for us one doesn't need a lot of infrastructure to play football.
All of that would be just the opposite in England, if I'm not wrong.
Obviously you need to consider the population size too. There are other factors but it would be tl;dr.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.