[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>non americans will never understand the glory of college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
>non americans will never understand the glory of college football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LF9qx2r6c8

the purest sport there is
>>
>the purest sport there is
that's called college basketball, sir

but non-power conference college football is fucking incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadXjlLVQIQ
>>
>>68607452

>leave after 1 year if you're good
>no god tier traditions

let me redpill you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQcNEPulVO8

nothin like that in basketball
>>
>>68607429
>pure

corrupt as fuck
>>
>>68607499
>redpilling me by showing a cuck tradition
are we gonna start getting into football traditions? cuz fsu's entire program is probably #50 on a top 50 and you know it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_yTxGjUHpk
>>
>>68607549

>you'll never have this pedigree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfk4v_DGifM
>>
>>68607580
man I bet it was pretty badass to follow Georgia in the 70s/80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTHqjUNZgM
>>
>>68607643

>implying its not even better to follow them now

we got rid of richt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tTYiREtZLc

no more beta shit
>>
>>68607429
ah yes, the introduction of concussion commercial ball to young niggers hoping to get out of their shit lives by dancing like monkeys for the white man in front of millions of people who cry out for blood as if the players were gladiators in the the Roman Colosseum as they play a sport that requires more protective gear then the military.
The only thing youre missing out on by not watching college football is some form of materialistic interaction with a college youll never get into. institution.
>>
My friend went to college at FSU. He had a season ticket the year they won it. So jealous.

I really need to go over for a game. The last few years I barely watch any NFL and just follow College Football instead. It's so much better.

Two things they need to change
1. expand the playoffs to 8 teams
2. ban games against shit tier special needs schools

Then they have the perfect sport.
>>
>>68614297

Don't they host a college game in Dublin like every year?
>>
>>68614297
i'm impressed m8
>>
File: fedora giveaway.webm (696 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
fedora giveaway.webm
696 KB, 480x270
>>68613083
>ah yes
>>
>>68607429
Taking a break between fucking your cousins to shitpost on the internet?
>>
>>68614297
It's good politics and it's definitely not going to stop
By the way don't forget that this fucking happened
Benefit of growing up I'm 'merica: near-daily tongue in cheek references to college football/basketball giant killers
>>
>>68614938

Yeah but it's not the same. I don't support the NFL games in London either. Imagine they started playing Premier League games in New York. It's just selling your soul for some extra money that you don't even need.

And that's the best thing about college football, it still has it's soul. Die hard fans that actually have a reason to support their team rather than jumping on a bandwagon of a successful team thousands of miles away.
>>
explain with arguments why it's better to watch kids playing than professionals?
>>
>>68615171
Actually this recent sec resurgence is a cash grab, plain and simple
Oh and eight teams is never gonna happen maybe six teams with a bye week for 1st and 2nd place
What next you wanna eliminate the conference bowls cuz Iowa should've gotten a spot in the playoffs? Fuck that those games have seniority and produce memes
>>
>>68615100

but most of these games finish 66-3
I think they will stop playing them because it hurts their ranking when they get no credit for beating up Charleston Southern. Already teams are scheduling tougher out of conference games.
>>
>>68615196
They care a lot more about the outcome in my opinion cuz every game adds onto their resumes for potentially getting drafted
The game is way faster since the defences aren't as good as in the pros (they aren't paid to work out, still have full-time classes, etc)
There's 100 years of history between some of the rivalries so even kids in small towns can feel like they're on top of the world for a day
Also because they're amateurs they tend to allow way crazier plays to happen so the highlight reels are so much better than the biggest nfl games

Watch highlights of the Oregon / TCU bowl game on YouTube and you'll see what I mean
>>
>>68615196
the quality of the game is significantly worse, but that also means more entertaining/weird shit can happen with meme offenses, trick plays, etc.

There's more disparity in quality, so you get more chances for massive upsets, even if they are rare.

There are a lot more teams and teams and fan bases that share geographical territories, so there are a lot more genuinely heated rivalries (family members that went to different colleges in the same state, coworkers with different alma maters, people who couldn't get into a school and hate it for that reason)

not a corporate shitfest with profit-seeking franchises

much longer history, with lots of teams going back to the 19th century

for alum, an incomparable connection to the team and fellow fans

more weird traditions/more identity
>>
How do I get into college football? Give me a 101
>>
>>68615390

tfw non american now understands the glory of college football

perhaps you meant never experience, retard OP
>>
>>68615196
When you go to a university, you feel a connection with your team.

There are more variations to offenses and more opportunity for some whacky shit to happen.

Rivalries are about 100 times better than NFL. There are always opportunities for banter with fans of rival schools.

There is more emphasis on not losing. In the NFL, you can lose like 6-7 times and still win it all. You have to be closer to perfect in college.
>>
>>68607429
Why watch college football, when NFL is objectively better?
>>
>>68621696
because they pretend to like the sport but they really don't like defense and would rather watch a 56-38 pistol spread meme game.
>>
>>68615196
Trust me my fellow french fag CFB is way more fun than NFL.
You got traditions, rivalries, crazy offense, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFqtxfhXLU
>>
College sports are the epitome of

>we
>>
I'm from the Northeast and don't understand why you guys watch it.
>>
>>68615196
this

Unpopular opinon trigger warning: If more people prefer amateurs playing because its more entertaining its a shit sport but thats my opinion. That said we have some pretty shit sports too
>>
>>68614297
Based Ireland.

NFL is garbage. College football is America's greatest sporting spectacle.
>>
>>68607549
No matter how many times I watch this, it still gives me goosebumps. Ohio State is the greatest college football program of all time.
>>
>>68622429
>Im from the Northeast
Theres your answer bud
>>
>>68615196
Well, I'm sure everyone has already said the passion behind it, but along with that, if you went to the university you root for, there is a special connection you have to the team, and you get a wonderful sense of pride when they win. It's better than watching an NFL team win, because anyone can just say they are a fan of an NFL franchise without living in the city, but for a college team, you go to school there, and the people on the field are your peers, and they are trying their hardest to bring honor and pride to the place you learn, live, and love. Not to mention the whole amateur aspect of the sport brings out more strategy and preparation, as coaches have to deal with the varying levels of talent on each side of the field, and come up with ways beat the other team, and since there is a tremendous gap between the talent of the players involved, innovations and new ideas are born which makes the game a whole hell of a lot deeper. What other sport can give you rag tag group of 3 star athletes and walk-ons find a way to upset a team assembled of the greatest athletes across the country, and not only bring their school pride, but also crush the hopes and dreams of the opposing school by dealing them a loss, which is very critical for a team's title hopes in college football, since they play one of the shortest seasons in major sports.
>>
>>68607429
>getting hype for one of the most consistently disappointing cfb teams
Go tech you fucking rednecks
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 928x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 928x1024
>>68607549
>muh """dot the i"""

You will never have great traditions such as the war chant, tomahawk chop, flaming spear and the turf graveyard
>>
It would be pretty based if they expanded the playoffs to 8 teams, is it happening anytime soon?
>>
>>68615923
Basically, there are 5 major conferences that reign supreme over the college football world. These conferences vaguely represent geographic locations within the country, but due to money and all of the conference realignment in the past few years, there are a few exceptions to the geographic tie ins. These conferences are the Big 10(which ironically has 14 teams) who represents the midwest, the BIg 12(which ironically has 10 teams) which represents the southern/central United States, the SEC(14 teams) which represents the Southeastern United States, the Pacific 12(also called the Pac 12; they actually hve 12 teams) which represents the west coast, and the ACC(12 teams) which represents the eastern coast of the United States. These conferences are the power 5 conferences due to the schools within them being some of the largest and oldest schools with rich football history. The best schools the have dominated most of college football make up these conferences. A team's schedule generally consists of 8 to 9 games scheduled with conference opponents(depends on the size of the conference) and then the remainder of the games are out of conference(OOC) games, that are typically played against teams in the weaker conferences in college football, and even some from teams at the next division down. Usually a power 5 team will schedule another power 5 team at the beginning of the year before conference play starts, which brings some interesting games at the beginning of the season. There are a total of 12 games in the season, and after the twelve games have been played, it moves on to the post season. The postseason begins with conference championships, which are usually decided with a championship game. conferences with more than 12 teams are divided into two divisions and the team with the best conference record in each division play each other in the championship game.
>>
>>68623302
cont.

After all of the conference champions have been decided, teams with a winning record are assigned to a bowl game. These are sort of a consolation prize for teams that managed to finish the season with at least 6 wins. There are several bowl games that take place from mid December to early January. Before the playoffs were introduced, the prestigious bowls primary served as a match up between the champions of each conference. These bowls are the Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, and Peach bowls, which then be used to determine a champion based on these results. When the playoff arrived, there was less of a pristine to these bowls, so they dubbed them the "New Years Six" bowls(since all of them are traditionally played on New years or New Years eve), and each year between the six locations, two of the bowls rotate out on a location for one of the playoff games, while the remaining four match up the best teams that didn't make the playoffs. The playoff teams are decided by the playoff committee, which is a group of 13 athletic directions, former players, and former coaches that rank the 25 best teams in the country. the top four of these rankings at the end of the season are chosen to go to the playoffs with a traditional 4 team bracket of 1 vs 4 plays the winner of 2 vs 3 for the championship.
>>
>>68622990

they have contract to stay at 4 teams until 2025

hopefully they see that they can make more money with 8 teams and break the contract. nobody watches the meaningless bowl games. they could get 30 million viewers for each of 7 playoff games
>>
>>68616874
>does not greentext tfw

retard anon
>>
>>68607429
College sports are fucking cancerous.
>>
>>68607429
You're wrong. We have conference/non-league football. Which is basically the same as this. The quality of play is worse, but weird shit can happen and many memes.
>>
>>68622936
Dotting the I is much more pure than your racist bullshit "traditions"
>>
File: qtUGAsnugz.jpg (62 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
qtUGAsnugz.jpg
62 KB, 1024x576
>>68607429
>That pic
>that video

oh well. Go Dawgs!!
>>
>>68622883
>tech
>not perennial midtier fuccbois
>>
>>68607549

Euros, please watch this. We have something cool we want to share with you. It's really one of the very best things about being american.
>>
File: TheGOAT.jpg (2 MB, 1939x1230) Image search: [Google]
TheGOAT.jpg
2 MB, 1939x1230
>>68607643

>posting this without the Larry Munson commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNxWAdR_sQ

"Man is there going to be some property destroyed tonight!"

fuck... these feels.
>>
>>68615196
Same reason its better to root local than for Barca or ManU
>>
college ball is bad and you should feel bad.

nothing but poorfag hicks mad they dont have real teams.
>>
>>68614297
>ban games against shit tier special needs schools

Then you'd miss out on App State beating Michigan.
>>
>>68627347
>not having an NFL and College team in your state

So that leaves Alabama...and uhh..
>>
>>68627472
But how often does that actually happen?
>>
>>68627634

With enough irregularity that it's actually exciting.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-12-30/college-football-9-biggest-upsets-2015-season
>>
File: cheeky nandos.jpg (91 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cheeky nandos.jpg
91 KB, 1000x1000
That games has it's own wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game
>>
>>68626742
>nobody watches the meaningless bowl games
It gets enough to keep them around
Plus not a lot of stuff to watch then

They aren't the biggest hindrance to expansion of the playoffs.
The length of the schedule is
>>
>>68614297
Do Irish people like Notre Dame?
>>
>>68627347
Wish people gave college football a chance. I live in a city with a good NFL team and a shitty state school an hour away so literally no one I know follows college football like I do
>>
>>68628824

>Fighting Irish

So offensive. Pls change name

Irish people don't know college football exists. Notre Dame is in Paris
>>
File: columbine.jpg (37 KB, 385x289) Image search: [Google]
columbine.jpg
37 KB, 385x289
>non american will never understand the glory of highschool shootings
>>
>>68628824
Tbh Notre Dame should be a French school as the real name is Notre Dame du Lac.
>>
>>68629523
>non algerians will never understand the glory of sharia law
>>
>>68630105

Noter Dayme doo lake
>>
>>68607429
the meme post-season system ruins it
>>
>>68621696
players may be better, but they lack passion. They will collect their paycheck no matter what. College players still have to work to get to that level of getting a paycheck s they try harder.
NFL teams have near 0 tradition. Every college team has multiple traditions.
Rivalries aren't manufactured in college. You have many teams that are >50 miles from each other and fan bases HATE each other. Families will get divided if one member goes to the wrong school.
NFL offenses are almost all the same. Colleges have a multitude of offenses at both extremes (air raid and triple option)
You can have a connection and in a way be a part of the team in college. You have no chance to connect with a team in the NFL
>>
>>68622422
There is literally nothing wrong with saying >we if you went to that school. You've, in a way, put money into the team and actually interact with the members of the team on a daily basis

>>68626742
true cfb fans watch every bowl game they can
>>
>>68630823
This desu senpai
>>
>It's American please watch our """"""Sport"""""" thread
>>
>>68630105

They are just called "Irish" because it was an insult to all Catholics at the time, and they adopted it.
>>
File: IMG_1875.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1875.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>68627496
West Virginia

>tfw we've been mid-tier since Rod left

:(
>>
>niggers
>pure
>>
File: tOSU.jpg (319 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tOSU.jpg
319 KB, 640x480
>the GOAT sport
>>
>>68631730
Don't you have some back alley to be poor in?
>>
>>68622466
No it's not because of amateurs it is because NFL is soulless and college has passion.
>>
File: BVMFXmeCAAAupLT.jpg (21 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
BVMFXmeCAAAupLT.jpg
21 KB, 560x420
>>68634605
There is only one OSU.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.