[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who would be the equivalent of OJ if this happened nowadays?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 01-oj-simpson.w529.h352.jpg (64 KB, 529x352) Image search: [Google]
01-oj-simpson.w529.h352.jpg
64 KB, 529x352
Who would be the equivalent of OJ if this happened nowadays?

All I can come up with is Michael Strahan
>>
Ray Lewis. he's not going to get away with it forever.
>>
>>68537570
strahan's a pretty good answer. Maybe Barkley or Shaq?
>>
>>68537703
Think Shaq tancended OJs popularity status
>>
>>68537753
OJ had crossover appeal beyond sports, though
>>
lebron
>>
>>68537703
Barkley can't run no more
>>
>>68538780

>He hasn't seen Kazaam.
>He hasn't played Shaq-Fu.
>>
>>68537570
Bruce Jenner or Michael Sam. The "debate" between normal people and tumblr faggots would be the exact same as OJ with whites vs. blacks.
>>
>>68537570
dwayne johnson maybe? trying to think of a mix of athlete and movie star
>>
>>68537570
Take it away from football, just any celebrity. OJ hadn't played for years before that happened. He had a positive public image, plus some dark secrets that didn't come out in public view until public opinion turned.

Lebron doesn't really count because he seems like a nice guy, Kobe doesn't count because he's a known arrogant prick.

The non-sports celebrity status is tricky, I can see where you'd get Strahan. But basically, any ex-player who is a household name, and you logon Facebook that morning and hear they're running from the cops. Strahan or Favre or Steve Fucking Nash, that would be weird.
>>
I'm not sure we would see something like OJ today. Strahan is probably the closest. OJ was a top flight mega star who had major crossover appeal into adversiements and movies.

Do we really think hearing Strahan killing two people would generate as much media attention as OJ?

That whole spectacle was probably a once in a lifetime thing.

What about Jordan? Huge in sports and ads.
>>
>>68537570
Jeter
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 643x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 643x429
>>
>>68548653
I think Jordan is too big. Strahan and Shaq I think are the two best answers
>>
File: therock.jpg (102 KB, 1368x1026) Image search: [Google]
therock.jpg
102 KB, 1368x1026
Only correct answer
>>
>>68549028
Anon, we are talking about players that were stars in professional sports leagues
>>
File: Jeb!.gif (2 MB, 280x211) Image search: [Google]
Jeb!.gif
2 MB, 280x211
>>68537753
no
>>
Kobe. I mean a rape got a bunch of attention just think what murder would do.
>>
>>68539418
>Bruce Jenner
already killed a lady. People couldn't have cared less.
>>
>>68537570
Tim Tebow? but he wasn't half the pro player Juice was, say maybe if Brady or Manning become movie stars later in life.

Gronk is also a good choice.

>>68548770
this. Jordan already had someone killed and he only missed 2 1/2 years.
>>
>>68549190
If Kobe killed someone it would blow right the fuck up. Especially after his long heartfelt goodbye.
>>
>>68537570

curry killing his wife
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 480x319
The correct answer is Peyton Manning. Jesus sp get it together.

>warrant for his arrest for putting his nuts on female trainer.
>cop chase onto freeway
>every news station follows the chase until he escapes into a papa johns
>hostages held until supply of chicken parm runs out
>>
>>68548653
This was at the dawn of the internet, that kind of media coverage was unheard of at the time, but normal now.

So it's "household name" combined with "I have never seen anything like this clusterfuck," but we kind of expect celebrities to fuck up (at the time no one believed he could have possibly done it, until a few months afterwards) .... I'm gonna go with either "Allen Iverson announces he's joining the NY Ballet," or, "The Rock arrested for strangling 23 children."

Anything less than that wouldn't even make a millennial look up from their phone.
>>
In England it would be David Beckham
>>
>>68549601
yea but "mambo out" could be a pretty cool thing to say right when your killing some one :)
>>
>>68549028
Infinitely more charismatic than OJ; if you go back and watch the Naked Gun movies, OJ was a shit actor but it was more situational hilarity, that this nice guy kept getting hit on the head or whatever.

Hulk Hogan maybe, but something far worse than just run-of-the-mill racism.
>>
>>68549601
the only good answer in this thread

>turns from hated Uncle Tom to A Good Boy in an instant
>>
>>68549190
>Kobe
... was universally liked when he started, but since the trial that's soured a bit.

I think the basic building blocks you're looking for are:
1) Former, not current, sports (or non-acting) star
2) Currently famous for movies/TV
3) Well-liked
4) Household name
5) Is accused of something your mother would never believe if you told her, even if you played her the fucking video.
>>
>>68549613

car chaseb owls are really fun
>>
I know
>not sports
But Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is really the closest you can get from famous "athlete" to huge movie star.
>>
>>68549859
also he is seen as a nice guy just OJ was. Furthermore he is some what black but everyone treats him white like they did OJ
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.