[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Emmitt Smith a top 5 running back? Pros: longevity, 3 Super
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Emmitt_Smith_Dallas_Cowboys.jpg (25 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Emmitt_Smith_Dallas_Cowboys.jpg
25 KB, 300x400
Is Emmitt Smith a top 5 running back?

Pros: longevity, 3 Super Bowls, NFL rushing record
Cons: no finesse or style, just pure running, one of the all-time greatest lines that a toddler could be successful behind, shoddy end of career that existed only to pad stats

My top 4 is:

1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. Gale Sayers

Wondering who I should have round out the top 5, and I'm leaning toward Smith, even though I've always had a prejudice against him.
>>
File: ???.jpg (34 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
???.jpg
34 KB, 640x637
>>68395186
>Gale Sayers
at least put LT or something man
>>
Gale sayers is a meme, if you're going to have an who had like 4 good years to might as well put td.
>>
>>68395186
ray rice
>>
>>68395254
Gale Sayers scored a touchdown once every 10 touches, blew out his knee in an era where it killed careers and still averaged 4.5 ypc that season. His career stats are not indicative of his place all-time.
>>
>>68395186
Probably not even top 10. A very good tailback carried by an elite OL. Not nearly as overrated as Aikman though.
>>
>>68395331
If Irving wasn't coked up every game then Aikman would've been shit
>>
>>68395305
>5 good seasons
not top 5 material
>>
>>68395449
And he had that same elite af OL.
>>
1. Barry
2. Jim Brown
3. Waltah
4. LT
5. Dickerson
6. AP
7. Faulk

23. Priest Holmes

48. Jerome Bettis

55. Jamal Lewis

97. Matt Forte

9000. Ironhead Heyward

9001. Adrian Murrell

999999. Emmitt Smith
>>
>>68395640
faulk>dickerson
>>
>>68395507
NFL rookie record for TDs in a season
NFL record for most non-passing TDs in a game
NFL record for average return yards
5.0 career ypc
#22 on Sporting News list of football players regardless of position

All this in 5 good years. He definitely is top 5.
>>
>>68395640
Switch Faulk and Dickerson and this is correct
>>
>>68395640
You must be a fan of one of the afc west teams because nobody ever mentions based Priest
>>
>>68395730
>5 good seasons
not top 5 material
>>
>>68395640
>23. Priest Holmes
>having one of the biggest OL babbies of all time that high
>>
>>68395847
Yeah only guys with shitty O lines should be considered!
>>
File: mf.jpg (41 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
mf.jpg
41 KB, 630x420
>>
>>68395186
In no order
>Marcus Allen
>Barry Sanders
>Walter Payton
>OJ Simpson
>Jim Brown
Emmitt is an easy top 10 but he had one of the best O-Lines of all time and Daryl Johnston blocking for him.
>>
I think LT belongs in the top 5
>>
>>68395186
No.
>>
>>68395950
>have 3 above average years in your career
>all behind the best OL of their era
>"cn i b elite guise?"
No, fuck off.
>>
Yes. Without Emmitt those Cowboy teams win 0 SBs. The thing he had over Barry was his consistency. Emmitt never lost yards, would always get 3 or 4 at minimum.

Barry would explode for 20 yards and a first down then lose yards twice and the Lions drive would stall. Meanwhile Emmitts Cowboys pounded out drive after drive, relentlessly wearing teams down.

Good luck expecting the average /sp/ tier retard to understand this concept, because its a bit more complex than MUH HIGHLIGHTS AND SICK SPINS
>>
>>68396510
>Tiki
>>
>>68396510
>Emmitt never lost yards, would always get 3 or 4 at minimum.

Probably because he was never contacted until 3 or 4 yards into a run behind that oline
>>
>>68397316

Seriously. Do Emmitt tools think that he was crushed behind the line of scrimmage, and with his godly RB skill broke 15 tackles to muster up 5 heroic yards?

What the fuck is wrong with people.
>>
>>68395186
Jesus fucking Christ. Emmitt is the goat rb.

4 years out of his 15 year career he had the "Great Wall" if you include all the years half those guys were injured. (Really 3 years plus a couple half and quarter seasons)

Throw in his playoffs numbers (which are fucking games rushing he out paced everyone else by over 4000 yards. The dude also caught over 4000 yards. He out paced everyone on tds it's not even close hence why his ypc isn't crazy high. His yards after contact numbers are insane if you minus his tds runs

So drop the bullshit "his line did it for him" that's the dumbest fucking shit I hear nfl fans say.

Look at his accomplishments. Derp derp derp his running style was boring. No it was fucking uber efficient. He's the Jerry rice of running backs. Probably second best vision for a running back ever only Faulk was better. Borderline impossible in his prime for one guy to take down. Insanely quick, strong, could pass block like a mother fucker, and was tough as nails. He was always clutch. He would find a way into the endzone or that first down. Over, around through no matter what

He's the goat no question
>>
>>68395186

No, top 1, and the easiest way to catch someone who doesn't know shit about football is ask them who was better, Emmitt or Barry?
Got some bad news for you if you think it was Barry
>>
>>68395186
>No Eric Dickerson
>No LT
>No Earl Campbell
>No Marshall Faulk

Shit list
>>
>>68397724
>"Ive never heard of walter payton"
>>
He is goat for fucks sake he won dancing with the stars
>>
>>68397316
>>68397432
Bullshit you fucktards. Apart from the on and off 5 year glory period guys would get into that back field constantly. Emmitt would see it first half the time or just knock them on their ass, stiff arm them or side step them

If I'm wrong... Answer this

Why the fuck do you think Troy airman started getting concussion after concussion after 1996?

Magic? Aikman was getting his ass beat

Clearly you fuck ups never watched older games
>>
>>68395186
ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER. This record will never be broken.
>>
>>68397959
Why on earth do you think Walter Payton was the goat?

Most dominant? Jim brown or oj Simpson

Most skilled? Probably Faulk or lt

Greatest of all time enmitt
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.