[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between Ali's arrogance and Mayweather's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
What's the difference between Ali's arrogance and Mayweather's arrogance?
>>
>>68287861
Ali is a boxer. Mayweather is a ballet dancer.
>>
Ali's arrogance took place 50 years ago so nostalgia factor has set in by now and no one cares.

Just like no one cares that Jordan was the biggest douchebag of all time.
>>
Ali was cool.
>>
Ali had balls, he didn't cherrypick his fights.

Also, it's hard to take boxers outside of heavyweight seriously. It's like watching the second division of a divegrass league.
>>
Ali actually tried to entertain in the ring as well as out of it.
>>
>>68287924
>Also, it's hard to take boxers outside of heavyweight seriously. It's like watching the second division of a divegrass league
DING DING!!
The Neth's with the stupid comment of the day!!
>>
Mayweather is a dumb faggot.
>>
>>68287983
manlet please

watching some skinny 175cm short faggot box another skinny manlet is boring

it's like watching the women version of any sport
>>
>>68287861
because mayweather fights like shit, it's like that guy that beats everyone at mortal kombat by jumping up and down like a faggot and throwing weak punch. His fights are boring predictable hard to look at shit. He talks because he can and nobody can't say anything even if no one likes him.

Ali is the guy who learned all the moves in MK and could beat you with an amazing combo. Was fun to watch. He talked the talk and walked the walk too.
>>
>>68287894
>nostalgia factor
You're forgetting the politics of the time, nigger.
>>
Well for one, when Ali talks shit about his opponents, you can tell it's from the perspective of someone who has studied his adversaries and mastered the techniques in order to best them.

Also it's less about his payday and more about him proving he's the smartest, fastest, and strongest of them all.

I've analyzed all of Ali's interviews and every time he goes in on his opponent, he emphasizes his opponent's weakness while bragging about his strengths. You can only assume that he's sat around and studied on what things he'd do in the ring if he was the one going against that person.

Mayweather seems to have one tactic, though that's not bad, it earned him a 49-0 record, but it's pretty boring and not as entertaining when you see there's nothing deeper there than him just avoiding punches and clinching round after round for points.
>>
>>68287861
ali wasn't in it just for the money
>>
>>68288029
>I've analyzed all of Ali's interviews and every time he goes in on his opponent, he emphasizes his opponent's weakness while bragging about his strengths. You can only assume that he's sat around and studied on what things he'd do in the ring if he was the one going against that person.

He was an arrogant loud mouth but Ali had mad respect and understanding of the sport. Not saying Floyd doesn't, he just doesn't display this and sacrifices entertainment for money bags and reputation.

Ali was more than a boxer, he was a professional entertainer. He reminds me of a wrestler, because of how over the top his confidence was. He was a riot to watch, if you weren't watching for the fight, you were watching to see his shit talking at the end of the match.

The funniest shit is when he lost and would come still talk shit, talking about how he'll just train to get better and such. He's like an anime character he reminds me of Naruto.
>>
>>68287861
mayweather is dumb, like really dumb
so all he does is boasting about the money he made, instead ali seemed to be more focused on the sport itself
>>
Ali was witty and had principals. Mayweather is just a shallow idiot.

Although his skills are beautiful. He's actually a much more polished technician than Ali ever was.
>>
>>68288018
Str8 Savage m8
>>
>>68287861
Ali knocked people out in style, floyd won by points and leaving everyone in the arena bored out of their minds.
>>
>>68288029
>Mayweather seems to have one tactic, though that's not bad, it earned him a 49-0 record, but it's pretty boring and not as entertaining when you see there's nothing deeper there than him just avoiding punches and clinching round after round for points.

That's not remotely true. Watch Mayweather versus Corrales, Chavez, Gatti, Marquez and Canelo and then tell me he fights the same way every time.
>>
>>68288363
Ali would go long periods without even throwing punches. He was actually more of a "ballerina" than Floyd. Seriously, try watching some of his full fights outside of the Frazier and Foreman ones.
>>
Ali was straight up evil, indoctrinated asshole.

Mayweather is just MUH MONEY kind of moron, annoying but harmless.
>>
>>68287861
ali actually tried to knock people out
>>
>>68288302
>He's actually a much more polished technician than Ali ever was.

That's not impressive when comparing a HW from the 70's to a Lightweight of the 2000's.

You know who else was a more polished technician than Ali? Whitaker, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Ward, Lomachenko, Rigondeaux and Hopkins.
>>
>>68288411
This lmao. /sp/ would hate Ali's rope-a-doping
>>
>>68288166
>he reminds me of Naruto.
>>
>>68288411
if you want to see what you're talking about, the rumble in the jungle foreman fight is exactly the fight you should watch.. He basically sits on the ropes for 6 or 7 rounds and only throws a flurry of punches in the last 10-15 seconds and basically lets foreman wear himself out.

But Ali did that to secure a knockout when his opponent over extended or opened himself up, not to win on points
>>
>>68288470
>You know who else was a more polished technician than Ali? Whitaker, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Ward, Lomachenko, Rigondeaux and Hopkins.

Indeed. And Mayweather was an even more polished technician in most respects than those guys. At his best he's a joy to watch.

He got more boring as he got older and the Pacquiao fight was egregious - I agree - but his unparalleled skills stopped him from getting beat by lesser men like what happened to Ali in later years.

>>68288546
Yeah, you're right. But there are other fights where Ali "runs" more, which is what people always seem to accuse Mayweather of.
>>
>>68288696
More polished? I disagree.

He's more disciplined than those guys with maybe the exception of Lomachenko. That's what makes Mayweather great that casuals don't seem to understand. He was consistent and didn't falter off his game plan. He fought at an elite level for 19 years.
>>
>>68288546
The entertaining thing is in retrospect that rope a dope shit was very welly thought out and also VERY VERY, risky. Ali was risking losing by decision. That's why so many people admire and praise him like they do.
>>
>>68288845
I watched it as a kid, and was so pissed Ali was losing I started to tear up, the knock out at the end was worth it, I honestly didn't see it coming.
>>
>>68287861

nothing really, ali had a cause he stood for.

in 10 years though, were gunna see motivation posters of mayweather with his quotes all over instagram.

"hard work and dedication"
"i was made for this"
"TBE"

etc etc
>>
>>68288767
>More polished? I disagree.

Overall, I'd say so. He's a clear level above the mini Fab Four (JMM, Morales, Barrera, Pac), more orthodox than Sweet Pea and cleaner than B-Hop and Ward. And Rigondeaux has no inside game and suffers lapses often. As for Loma, it's hard to say; I need to see him against more top pros first.
>>
If Ali fought today he would be more hated than Lebron, Curry, Harper and Sherman COMBINED, I absolutely guarantee that.

>anti-American
>constantly talking shit even to people who admire him
>racist
>tied to an islamic terrorist group
>dumber than shit
>rope & dope
>rigged fights

But since he was fighting 50 years ago everyone is like MUH LEGEND and MUH ICON OF BOXING.
>>
Muhhmad ali was a wrestling fan when he was a kid and he learned that the louder you are the more money you make because he was a big fan of a wrestler named gorgeous George who was the pioneering wrestler of the tv era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George

>Legacy[edit]
Muhammad Ali and James Brown acknowledged that their own approach to flamboyant self-promotion was influenced by George. A 19-year-old Ali met a 46-year-old George at a Las Vegas radio station. During George's radio interview, the wrestler's promo caught the attention of the future heavyweight champion. If George lost to Classy Freddie Blassie, George exclaimed, "I'll crawl across the ring and cut my hair off! But that's not gonna happen because I'm the greatest wrestler in the world!" Ali, who later echoed that very promo when taunting opponent Sonny Liston, recalled, "I saw 15,000 people comin' to see this man get beat. And his talking did it. I said, 'This is a gooood idea!'" In the locker room afterward, the seasoned wrestler gave the future legend some invaluable advice: "A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."
>>
>>68288912
Those quotes are weak as shit.

I actually thought he came up with "Skills pay the bills" and was going to give him credit for that, but apparently it was a Beastie Boys song.
>>
>>68288925
How new are you? They were saying that towards the end of his career. Please be a retard somewhere else.
>>
>>68288925
>>dumber than shit

He was definitely not dumb. I'm sure he flunked that IQ test on purpose. No way he had an IQ lower than a literal retard considering how quick witted and well-read he was.
>>
>>68289007
That's what I'm saying you retard, they were saying that during his career, but since it's 50 years ago everyone is now pretending what a good and likeable guy he was. You can see the hated superstars of today receiving the same treatment in 50 years.
>>
>>68289051
>quick witted and well read

You gotta be joking, in every interview I watched he sounds like a complete moron.
>>
>>68287861
The reason Mayweather will never be Goat is because stood for much more outside the ring.Mayweather went to prison because he beat some of his hoes,Ali went top prison because he did not give a shit about the establishment and knew that Vietnam was a mindless war.

>>68287924
>>68287983
>>68288018
>manlet please
This so much,heavyweight will always be the best division.They are more monster than human.
>>
>>68288964
>"A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."

Genius.
>>
File: Pg-23-Sugar-Ray-getty.jpg (32 KB, 620x760) Image search: [Google]
Pg-23-Sugar-Ray-getty.jpg
32 KB, 620x760
>Before death

"Ali was the greatest boxer who ever lived and was one of the greatest athletes to transcended his sport. He is one of the most recognized athletes world wide to ever live."

"I agree but boxing isn't as popular in America as it used to be so people don't care as much anymore unless they are fans of boxing"

>after death
"Ali was the greatest boxer who ever lived and was one of the greatest athletes to transcended his sport. He is one of the most recognized athletes world wide to ever live."

"Fuck off bandwagoners. Nobody cared before his death and now everyone is pretending like Ali was a lifelong hero of theirs."
Typical assblasted euro's mad their sport can't produce GOAT legends who are recognized by even the most casual of sports fans.
>>
>>68288987
He did once say, "Any man, at the age of 40, who sees the world same as he did at the age of 20, has completely wasted a life."

Or something like that. That's probably one of my most relatable quotes of his.
>>
>>68289072
Weird how everyone had a complete 180 view on the Vietnam war as well. Maybe that had something to do with it?

You're also pretending Ali was hated in the same sense that Liston was hated. He wasn't. It was a completely different situation.
>>
>>68288925

On the other hand, 4chan would love him

>anti-faggotry
>anti-degeneracy
>spoke out against race mixing
>racial separatist
>master troll
>king of banter

Also...

>NoI
>terrorist organization

They're ideology is stupid, but they haven't committed acts of terrorism. They're not fucking ISIS.
>>
>>68289212
>Legacy[edit]
Muhammad Ali and James Brown acknowledged that their own approach to flamboyant self-promotion was influenced by George. A 19-year-old Ali met a 46-year-old George at a Las Vegas radio station. During George's radio interview, the wrestler's promo caught the attention of the future heavyweight champion. If George lost to Classy Freddie Blassie, George exclaimed, "I'll crawl across the ring and cut my hair off! But that's not gonna happen because I'm the greatest wrestler in the world!" Ali, who later echoed that very promo when taunting opponent Sonny Liston, recalled, "I saw 15,000 people comin' to see this man get beat. And his talking did it. I said, 'This is a gooood idea!'" In the locker room afterward, the seasoned wrestler gave the future legend some invaluable advice: "A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."

What people have to realize is that ali was playing the heel just like any good heel wrestler.
Heels, dont want applause, they want boo's,
If you embrace being the bad guy and win, then you become great.
>>
>>68289388
They do, but they /pol/ loves many of those old civil war era muslims. Ali rolled with Malcolm X so you know he was pretty red pilled. The Nation Of Islam actually rejected Ali at first, but then accepted him when he became a world wide treasure.
>>
>>68288022
Uh oh. Armchair expert gives an opinion and doesn't know boxing.
>>
The difference is that Alis arrogance turned into legacy and moved masses whereas Mayweathers arrogance is only shit talking of a dumb cunt.
>>
>>68289388
>/pol/ would love him

Fixed.
>>
>>68287983
>size doesn't matter
t. manlet
>>
>>68287861
Ali was a poet. Mayweather is a nig.

>Muh money
>Muh record
>>
>>68288018
So fucking much this.
I miss the times when the heavyweight was the primetime fights, hopefully they will come back soon.
>>
>>68289220
>Typical assblasted euro's mad their sport can't produce GOAT legends who are recognized by even the most casual of sports fans

Son... you're fucking stupid lmao
>>
>>68289133
you're not righteous white boi
>>
>>68287861
social media and cultural norms. Ali was probably a lot smarter

both causing a lot of irrational butthurt from fuccbois tho
>>
>>68288018
>>68289198
>>68290818
>Not watching smaller weight classes for the technique of boxing
>>
>>68288022
>spamming combos is different than spamming jump and punch
This triggered me. If you cant defend that you suck balls, its harder to defend special move spamming.
>>
>>68287861
Ali did fight whoever you thrown at him unlike Mayweather that only picked a bunch of whos and a past prime pacquiao.
One brags because he beat the bests
The other because he wins.
>>
Ali tried to knock his opponents out, not land soft punches so he could win by decision.

Mayweather's personality is obnoxious but the real crime is his style.
>>
>>68301172
fucking
yawn

if I really wanted to watch fundamentals I would watch flyweight, middle/welterweight are boring as FUCK in-between classes where manlets and stoop kids reside.
>>
>>68287924

This guy is right. What the fuck happened to the heavyweight boxing of the 80's to the early 00's??
>>
>>68301424
big guys are playing football now

boxing is getting second-rate-at-best athletes guys who could not possibly cut it in a sport, many because of manletitis.
>>
boxing, like the NFL and NBA has been pussified

the only professional sports that stayed true are tennis, hockey, and divegrass
>>
>>68288891

Holy shit, you must be ancient as fuck.
>>
>>68301172
They may have better technique but Heavyweight Division will always be King,because it has the most insane motherfuckers beating each other.
>>
>>68287861
Ali was funny,and a lot of it was banter,wwe style.
Plus Ali was tall and ,for a black boxer,very good looking. Mayweather is a turbo manlet who beats his wife
>>
>>68288022
>being a scrub at MK
>>
File: 1462223415907.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462223415907.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>68288166
>He reminds me of Naruto
>>
>>68301812
That would be Cruiserweight pleb.
>>
>>68287861
Ali said he'll knock you out in a certain round and did it.
Mayweather says he'll dance around and dodge punches and wait for the clock to run out and win by split decision.
>>
>>68287861
They were both illiterate niggers who punched other peasants for money while rich whites and Jews placed bets on which one would get knocked out. There's no difference between their arrogance, African arrogance has always been the same.
>>
>>68301424
Tyson soiled the sport by raping some bitch.
If he stayed out of jail we would have been crowing about how Tyson was an unstoppable monster for all of forever.
Instead we got shitty Lennox Lewis and the Clitschicko cowards as the champions of the sport.
>>
>>68301172
>the incredible technique of Floyd Mayweather jr, in which he runs around for 12 rounds, slap jabs his opponent, and wins an easy decision, but massively bores spectators.

I'm sorry friend, but I'm not sure that semen slurping sport is for me.
>>
Ali was entertaining with his rhymes and creativity. Mayweather is so boring
>>
>>68304893
Ali could run with the best of them, he could also knock a bitch out when he wanted to.
>Mayweather in charge of expending any stamina on punches.
>>
>>68287861
Ali lost games and he still managed to be arrogant.
Mayweather is the undefeated champ so he deserves to tell everyone to suck his cock.
>>
>>68287861
Mayshitter is a dumb nigger who can't read
>>
File: 1449436667336.jpg (186 KB, 702x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449436667336.jpg
186 KB, 702x1024
>>68288166
>he reminds me of Naruto
>>
>>68301424
90's heavyweight division is highly underrated.

>Lennox
>Bowe
>Holeyfield
>Moore
>McCall
>Wise old Fat Foreman
>Prison Mike

Too bad Bowe was lazy, he really should of been something much better.
>>
>>68288166
>fucking weeb
But you may be right for once, in that aspect he was like the stereotipic of the carachter you guys like to watch
>>
Ali was a racist prick. Calling Frazier a gorilla every chance he got. But if a white dude called Ali a monkey what would happen?

Also smoking Joe beat that ass in the only fight that mattered.
>>
>>68291720
UFC 200 get hype for brock son
>>
>>68287861
Ali was educated and Mayweather isn't.
>>
>>68318969
Ali failed the basic reading and writing test required to join the army. Twice. That's why him being drafted was such an injustice, he was literally too stupid to be allowed in under normal circumstances so it was clearly done to hurt him.
>>
>>68318701
Dont forget Ali met with the KKK because he believed in the separation of the races. He preached a that brainwashed black Muslim shit that seeked to separate african americans and whites not bring them togeather.

To have this man portrayed in the likes of MLK is like selling a Che Guvera shirt.
>>
>>68318776
He'll get demolished.
>>
pay respects to the one and only true king
>>
>>68287861
Normies hate Mayweather for being boring. Thats it.

Shittalking is apart of the sport, so no difference between that.
>>
>>68319055
He threw the test mate. The score he got would imply he was retarded.
>>
>>68319189
I dunno, has Hunt ever seen anybody with Lesnar's speed/size/strength?
>>
>>68319207
I EAT YOUR ASSHOLE ALIVE YOU BITCH
>>
ali was a good guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV75aFzC1aQ
>>
>>68287861
Alki could speak proper English.
>>
Ali is likeable. That's it. He never cussed,drank,glorified bad shit. But he could hype up the world. Talk shit like a motherfucker,effectively without every saying a bad word. Then you hear stories of him visiting his childhood elementary, talking to the children, and leaving a 10 thousand dollar check to improve the school which was a lot of money at the time. Never telling anyone about it either. And then other stories like him flying to fucking Iraq and freeing hostages. Then looking at his boxing record. Probably the most competitive time in the HW division ever and becoming a champion.Showing up and entertaining,watching him work in that ring. It was incredible. Was he arrogant? Yes. But with all the things he did did it matter?

As for Floyd I think Tyson summed it up best.

>He's very delusional. Listen, if he was anywhere near that realm of greatness with Ali he'd be able to take his kids to school by himself. He can't take his kids to school by himself, and he’s talking about he's great? Greatness is not guarding yourself from the people, greatness is being accepted by the people. He can’t take his kids alone to school by himself.

You think when Floyd dies he'll even get half of the coverage?
>>
>>68287861
He managed to be humble with it. He made ordinary people feel special.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36461015

>>68289072
>You can see the hated superstars of today receiving the same treatment in 50 years.
more like no one will give a shit about them desu
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.