[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian sports are jokes. When are we going to stop wasting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5
File: cahill.jpg (64 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
cahill.jpg
64 KB, 650x1000
Australian sports are jokes. When are we going to stop wasting all of our great athletes on AFL/NRL?

We just lost to fucking Greece 2-1 and could struggle to get to Russia 2018.

Doesn't this bother you?

Don't you want to succeed in a tournament people outside of Australia/New Zealand have heard of?

It's fucking pathetic Australia, We all know Soccer is going to be the only sport played in the entire world in 20 years, so why delay it?

We should start the next generation on soccer only, otherwise we're always going to be shit like this.

Go buy a season ticket for your local A-league team when they come up for sale, Support your local kiddy clubs, convince your kids, nephews, cousins, neighbours kids to start playing the wonderful game and maybe, just maybe, Australia will know that GLORIOUS feel of hosting a world cup and doing well in it.
>>
agreed desu. you guys are so good at olympics, first world, great climate to raise athletes and you waste them on ridiculous boganball that the rest of the world has never heard of or laughs at. its a shame if they went into rugby union, cricket or football you could win it all
>>
>>68194192
>mfw i've been on 4chan too long because i remember this and it was from years ago
>>
You got two Aussies as relevant players in the NBA Finals and you care about your success in divegrass? Top kek.
>>
;)
>>
>>68194192
At least we aren't as bad the amerifats which play 3 irrelevant """sports"""
>>
Aren't way more kids playing soccer now?

I think concussions has everyone a little bit spooped.
>>
>>68194291
Literally who cares about NBA
>>
>>68194313

Have their ever been any british nba players?

Also basketball is fun as heck and the 2nd most popular sport in the world.
>>
https://youtu.be/Cs3P6QsUzuE
>>
desu australia is too cucked by wanting to be like big brother America and thus having muh independent sports that don't need no international competition. People probably want to watch NBA more than soccer these days. With the massive amount of immigration in the last few years, you would think divegrass to be more popular but it's barely improving.
>>
>>68194192
Wasn't expecting Australia to best greece anyway desu
>>
Why do Australians think meat pies are Australian?

Britain invented them, fuck off.
>>
>>68194291
thats the point, "we" don't care. the wogs care and they just got beat by their motherland so now they want the big strong anglos to bail them out again
>>
>>68194291
and yet like 99% of the world population will not know any of them

now imagine if two Aussies would be in a Champions League final...
>>
>>68194335
>best
beat
>>
imagine being australian
>>
>>68194325
>2nd most popular sport in the world

lel.

It comes behind cricket, field hockey, table tennis, regular tennis and golf.
>>
>>68194343

You can have them desu famz.

Take sausage rolls and flavoured milk too and hopefully all the crass bogan fucks will leave.
>>
>>68194350
Harry Kewell was to be fair
>>
>>68194360
and back in 2005 he was the most popular australian athlete in the world
>>
>>68194355

>cricket, field hockey, table tennis

these are heavily skewed by 2 subhuman countries with high populations

>regular tennis and golf.

tennis maybe but golf? in what way?
>>
>>68194355
Basketball is the third most popular sport, just because it's the most popular sport in china by a country mile
>>
>>68194343
>>68194343

>things invented by australians
>goon sacks
>utes
>google maps
>the black box
>the bionic ear
>the electric drill
>spray on skin

>things invented by england
>the meat pie
>literally nothing else
>>
>>68194377

No one here really cared about him because soccer is kind of pretty gay. I do wish we were better at it for banter purposes though.
>>
>>68194377
not in Australia he sure as fuck was not

half the cricket team, half the rugby league team, Hewitt and a dozen guys in AFL were all better known and liked than Kewell

infact Kewell is widely hated in Australia. Timmy is fairly popular tho
>>
>>68194398
he may have not been the most popular athlete in Australia, but he was the world's most popular Australian athlete
>>
>>68194291
Brazil also has 2 players in the NBA finals and nobody cares, nobody knows them, but show the picture of Nerman to a Chinese or a Mali jihadist and they will recognize him. Basketball is utterly irrelevant compared to football, despite being a fun sport.
>>
>>68194415
who gives a fuck? what kind of insecure piece of shit do you have to be to care what Big Strong foreigners think about athletes who come from out country?

soccer is boring as fuck. Our sports (well not Rugby) are much better. And I can confidently say most Australians agree with me. I don't give a shit what you think
>>
>>68194422
Basketball is considerably more popular in china than football is
>>
>>68194415
Ok, fair enough.

>>68194422

Yeah but mostly poor people like soccer, are poor people even really people?
>>
File: ablett.jpg (1 MB, 3198x4092) Image search: [Google]
ablett.jpg
1 MB, 3198x4092
Who is the Gary Ablett Jr of Australian sports?
>>
>>68194456
>gaz is gonna end his career at the suns with no help at all his entire career

sad as fuck tbqh
>>
>>68194406
see >>68194415

nobody knows or gives a fuck about your rugby, cricket etc. athletes

the only way to global sports prominence is usually to be a football player (with the occasional exception of a basketball, golf, tennis, olympic etc. athlete making it)

>>68194439
you don't have to give a shit about what I say

I was just pointing out facts, facts that you can obviously choose not to care about
>>
>>68194406
>Hewitt
nice bait faggot
>>
>>68194476
I'd think that Lleyton Hewitt was more famous worldwide than Harry Kewell, just because the average football fan in Africa or Pakistan whatever doesn't know any players from outside their own club, especially not a bog standard one like Kewell
Hewitt was world number one, remember
>>
>>68194456
what happened to his hair? did he get flees?

>>68194476
the question is though, do you as an individual actually believe the global popularity of your sport is something that enhances the quality of the sport? if so I pity you

honestly I feel sorry for most Europeans, Africans, asians etc. You all seem to only be capable of playing 1(one) sport. Anglo countries all have atleast 3-4 major sports
>>
>Gaz, Nicnat, hayne, slater, fyfe, some athletc cricket player all playing soccer

we'd win the worldc up every year
>>
>>68194513
>our team is shit so the sport is shit
>>
>>68194450
Football is a game for the masses, doesn't mean rich people don't like it, most teams in Europe are owned by billionaire football fans. People call it "noble briton sport" in an ironic way, because it was a game played by the british working class that ended up being spread to the whole world.
>>
>>68194501
hewitt was obviously better known than kewell in australia, that's not even debatable

the more liked thing is, it largely depends on when - hewitt was a brat early but became loved later on whereas people were always fairly lukewarm about kewell
>>
>>68194512
well, I haven't heard about him and tennis is quite well known here

but it's not entirely impossible

>>68194513
this is what you don't get

we DO have more sports
we have pretty much a league for (almost) every sport there is

but football just smashed all the others sports with its popularity

i mean, are you suggesting people should start to artificially follow a sport, just in order to try to challenge football's popularity?

people will play and follow what they like and want
and most of the world chooses football/"soccer"
>>
>>68194587

He kind of has a point though, Soccer seems to dwarf everything in other countries. I know Germany does well at the olympics and has some f1 drivers. What sports do you guys excel at though?
>>
Even in Greece where we arguably are an international powerhouse in Basketball, no one really can compare it to football.
Face it, it's just football being more popular.
>>
>>68194621
Britain is good at rugby, tennis, cricket, Olympics and football, and football is still more popular than the others put together
>>
>>68194587
>well, I haven't heard about him and tennis is quite well known here
was world #1 for like 2 years, maybe you're just too young
>>
>>68194564
Hewitt only started to become likeable AFTER he started commentating when he was knocked out of the aus opens. Kewell was much more liked by the australian public, all the way up to about 2010-11.
>>
>>68194621
well, we are the reigning handball european champions and multiple time world champions

we at least were quite decent at volleyball at some point of time and produced several world class tennis players

we also have a top NBA player (Dirk Nowitzki)

other sports exist here
it's just that none of those can compare to the popularity of football, that's just how it is

I mean, even Nowitzki for example was first a football player and only switched to basketball after he realize that he doesn't have enough talent for a serious football career
Basketball is only his 2nd sport
>>
>>68194668
Golf and F1 as well
>>
>>68194587
Hewitt was the 3rd best tennis player 2000-2010 behind fed and nadal m8
>>
>>68194687
>>68194701

Those are good points.

I would have loved to see Dirk playing soccer.
>>
>>68194710
>lleyton Hewitt
>2010
M8
>>
File: Michael-Schumacher-009.jpg (51 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Schumacher-009.jpg
51 KB, 460x276
>>68194687
You forgot one of the GOATs (if not the GOAT) f1 drivers of all time and Vettel is still competing.
>>
>>68194710

He won a grand slam in 01 and 02, idk about that.
>>
>>68194684
nah, it happened earlier than that

it was when he just became less of a dick on court and his muh aussie battler fighting spirit became more exposed

kewell was never that well liked, the australian public generally dislike players who always seem to be struggling with mid-tier injuries that they can't play through
>>
>>68194727
he means for the decade as a whole lid
>>
>>68194587
>i mean, are you suggesting people should start to artificially follow a sport,
That's what you're doing in this thread with Australia and soccer.
>>
>>68194710
Kuerten was arguably a better player than him.
>>
>>68194750
Doesn't look like that desu
>>
File: neuer & nowitzki having fun.jpg (76 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
neuer & nowitzki having fun.jpg
76 KB, 600x800
>>68194715
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtr6V7-Eda0

here you go

it was for a charity, so obviously not a serious game, but anyway

>>68194762
wut?

I didn't make this thread

all I was saying is that IF, IF you care about having a globally known athlete, you will need to concentrate on football more

for your countryman (OP) that seems to be important, for you not so much, that's also okay
>>
>>68194769
couldn't play on anything but clay
>>
>invent retarded irrelevant sports
>call them dope
>continue to be irrelevant
>kek
>>
>>68194769
Yes, but not over that 10 year period. Its just like saying safin was also a better player than him. They probably were more talented, hewitt has one good shot, his lob, and everything else is just him fighting for the point.

Just look at his career record
Hewitt: 616–262, 30 titles
Kuerten: 358–195, 20 titles
Safin: 422–267, 15 titles
>>
>>68194815
tell me some macedonian sports
>>
>>68194291
>it's the autistic Amerilard with a german proxy again
>>
>>68194858
we as a nation are best in hanball,wrestling and occasionally basketball... but if i was in charge i would sacrifice all of them to be average in football.
meanwhile we are 140 in fifa rank
>>
>>68194858
history stealing
>>
>>68194192
>Hyundai A-League
lal
>>
I agree that I wish we were better at it but I just don't think this semen slurping sport is for me either way to be honest.
>>
>>68194192
We Are The Caltex Socceroos
>>
>>68194456
nathan ablett
>>
>>68194335
>we beat them a few days earlier.
>>
>>68194352
Funnily enough "best" works here too.

>>68194450
Rugby league is a poor man's sport in Straya too, isn't it?
>>
>>68195203
yes, yes it is
>>
>>68194192
>We just lost to fucking Greece 2-1
We are not that bad m8
>>
>>68194456
Nathan Fyfe in the AFL tbqh
>>
Kewell and Viduka were great for Leeds.
Loved them both until Kewell turned into a super cunt.
>>
>>68195203
League = working/middle class whites in one half of the country. Whereas soccer is the sport of foreigners and slightly autistic middle class white kids.
>>
>>68194815
fuck off, stavros.
>>
>>68194192
>Doesn't this bother you?
Not really.
>>
>>68194684

Uh what

I watched hewitt play at the aus open last year and the stadium was abso-fucking-lutely packed full of people screaming for him.
>>
>>68195501
it was his last open
>>
File: 1387678979853.jpg (24 KB, 317x330) Image search: [Google]
1387678979853.jpg
24 KB, 317x330
>>68194192

I can literally hear the wog accent as I read this

I call it 'wogesthesia'

fuck off stavros
>>
at least you have steven bradbury
>>
>>68194313
This

>>68194325
Yes there have, e.g. Luol Deng, but literally nobody here gives a fuck

Basketball is an utterly irrelevant sport
>>
why is he wearing a 70s brazilian NT jersey?
>>
Execute all Australians.
>>
If Harry Kewell was a 70s disco smash written by Boney M he'd be Harry Cool
>>
>>68194192
You used to be good at football though,there was Cahill while he was good,Kewell,Viduka,Emerton and the like

You almost beat Italy ffs

Get your shit together bogans
>>
Is Tim Cahill related to Gary Cahill?
>>
If Mark Viduka was a handheld scrubber used primarily for the purposes of exfoliation he'd be Mark Loofah
>>
If Mile Jedinak was a small pill shaped breathmint sold in a cuboid plastic container he'd be Mile Tic Tac
>>
>>68194214
>boganball
How's working the pubs in London going, Spiros?
>>
>>68194985

REKT
E
K
T

holy fucking shit
>>
> mfw your C team wins Australia's finest and you send the whole continent to disgrace

Ye ye we get it your GK was rubbish and your 4th choise and "IF WE HAD SOMEONE ELSE WE WOULD WIN IZI". Reminds me the "my father is better than your father".

And btw, why is the whole "we just lost to fcken greece" considered an underachievement ?

We held the japs to 0-0 with 10 men 2 years ago.
We won the african champions 2 years ago.
We conceded less goals from Colombia than Brazil conceded from Germany 2 years ago.
We gave a better match to Costa Rica than Uruguay Italy and England did 2 years ago.

One bad qualifying campaign and everyone forgets that we ve had a decent team , always in the top 15 Ranking ( I know its a joke - the fckin ranking is a joke but im too bored to check the times we lost under coach Santos on a 4 year period- which were less than 10 if i remember correctly.
>>
>>68197902
It's all banter anon.

Also pay denbts
>>
Don't do it.

Australia is one of a small handful of countries with its own distinct sporting culture. That's infinitely more valuable that being good at divegrass.
>>
>>68196046
r.bogan
>>
I have a very big penis
>>
>best at rugby
>best at cricket
>best at your own gay sports
>competent at football
>few decent tennis/basketball players

Literally GOAT sporting nation
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.