[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people act like they were life long fans of him now that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5
File: muhammedalihatesus.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
muhammedalihatesus.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Why do people act like they were life long fans of him now that he's dead?
>>
virtue signalling
>>
I don't even know.

People went ape when the Fast and Furious guy died.

And when I was in high school a girl literally started crying when she learned the jackass guy Ryan Dunn died
>>
>>68176261

My dad's a boxing fan, I actually am a long-time fan of his.
>>
>>68176261

i didn't

he was a cunt
>>
>"White people suck. Fuck America"
>"Wow what a hero"
>>
>>68176261
I basically learned to fight watching him move.

Literally /lifelong/
>>
I guess it helps being a braindead puppet for a decade or two before dying, so people forget what big of a douche you are. This is where Cruyff dropped the ball.
>>
yeah I mean it wasn't like he was anyone's hero when he was alive or anything
>>
he's one of the most famous people in human history. he's not some hipster artist who died and people suddenly pretended to know or like.

literally everyone knew who muhamnmad ali was and a ton of people who did know him liked him
>>
>>68176773

But its true anon. Name one white guy brave enough to get fucked up by prime Ali. I'll wait.

>minorities suck
>muh aryan master race
>"hitler did nothing wrong"
>>
He's one of a handful of athletes who are literally synonymous with their sport. Even if you have zero interest in sports you probably know that:

>Jordan was good at basketball
>Gretzky was good at ice hockey
>Babe Ruth was good at baseball.

Etc.

Ali is the all time household name and folk legend of boxing and that in and of itself is an accomplishment. I firmly believe that at least a few people's lives are better because they lionize the man and that is more than you can say about most celebrities.
>>
>>68176261
Been a boxing fan since I was a kid. Why do the Dutch care so much if people mourn the GOAT?
>>
>>68177022
The thing about Ali was, you didnt have to know about the sport to know who Ali was. Hell, you didnt have to follow A sport to know who Ali was.
Poor ass African kids who had no TV knew his name. He was as big as it get's in a world filled with athletes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo4kp3_leon-gast-1996-when-we-were-kings-partie-1_sport
>>
Because he was against race-mixing.
>>
>>68176984
/pol/ leeches are infesting /sp/ these days.
to understand Ali people have to imagine a mix between Michael Jordan and Malcolm X.
Imagine if Jordan Elvis Presley or Messi went to jail for refusing the war and couldn't play between age 25 and almost 29.
he was a world legend. Italian schools gave the permission to go to school one hour later to let kids watch his matches late at night.
it was in a period in which black people were not allowed to vote in the USA.
go watch his matches, not just his sublime trolling of racist America.
>>
>>68177671

Blacks have been allowed to vote since 1866 so you can take your moral high ground and Reddit cuckoldry and stick it in your loose receptive asshole
>>
>>68176984

>blacks are great atheletes! Deal with it!

Ok

>you can't say whites are smarter than blacks in general! I don't care about statistics! Institutional racism! It's all our fault!

I want the Reddit KEKOLD BETAMALES to leave
>>
>>68177997
No reddit here.

They're all busy crying about the ufc banning jewboy
>>
>>68177671
>it was in a period in which black people were not allowed to vote in the USA.
lol the nigga wasn't boxing during Jim Crow and shit
>historical revisionist think Ali would leave the gym and see hanging black corpses on the street corner
>>
>>68177671
Eh Malcolm X was an asshole. He was a racist no different than the white racists of the time. He promoted violence, and he was killed in an act of violence. Live by the gun die by the gun. Malcolm X is hardly a role model.
>>
>>68178247
Except Malcolm X left the Nation of Islam due to their racism against whites and he acknowledged his mistakes before he was killed.
>>
>>68176261
It was like that well after he retired
>>
>>68178247
I'm not saying he was a role model, I was underlining how much of a legend he was. also,
>>68178531
this
>>
>>68177933
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965
know your own nation history you fuckhead. Cassius Clay was Olympic Champion five years before Voting Rights Act
>>
That's completely normal when anybody famous dies. What I want to know is why they are acting like he was a social justice hero? The man called for segregation, opposed interracial relationships, treated women as objects, physically abused them, and did all he could to make clear his hatred toward the white race. Maybe "don't understand" is the wrong way to put it though, it seems to me these people actually believe all of this, but to speak of it would be wrongthink, so hero worship of people professing the same regressive ideas is the next best thing.

I just want sports and videogames back, at this point, it's getting to just be sad.
>>
I always knew who he was because some of my elementary school teachers talked about him
>>
I'm amused at seeing the spin the media is putting on this guy because we live in an era of PC dicksuckery. He refused the draft, where anyone else would be called kind of a coward or at least it wouldn't be mentioned, he's literally praised for how 'principled' he was.

Then the media falls all over itself to NOT mention that he dodged the draft because he hated white people and the entire country that he lived in basically. The country that gave him an opportunity to be a millionaire by the way.
>>
For the same reason there's been a large influx of supposed long term fans of Prince, David Bowie etc
People just want to be involved
>>
>>68180336
It's actually sort of ironic that a controversial racial separatist puppet of Nation of Islam is now seen as some sort of humanitarian global figure. In a way that should be more insulting to the Ali of young than anything else.
>>
File: 1455859213128.jpg (37 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1455859213128.jpg
37 KB, 636x358
>>68176261
I asked the same thing after MJ and Prince died.
>>
>>68179150

Look here giacomo, the voting rights act didnt give them the right to vote. The 15th amendment did. So don't get all uppity like you know everything. If you love niggers so much, go petition for Balotelli to get called up for euro2016.
>>
>>68176261
Sane reason everyone was suddenly massive Prince fans and that everyone believed Michael Jackson no longer was a kiddie diddler

For internet cred
>>
Its called signaling. Lefties are doing it to get more points among each other despite them not caring or even wanting to ban boxing.
>>
>>68177671
>/pol/ leeches are infesting /sp/ these days.

How to spot a newfag
>>
>>68176261
>Why do people act like they were life long fans of him now that he's dead?
It's the trendy thing to do.
They did it with Bowie. They did it with Prince. This is no different.
>>
I knew more about ali cause of his time in wrestling with inoki and wrestlemania than with boxing. I watched one documentary about the thrilla in manilla and thats about it never watched any of his fights. Im more impressed with his talking ability than his fighting ability
>>
>>68176324
This. People are stupid.
>>
Why do people get so mad over what other people like or don't like?
>>
>>68176984
Henry Cooper
Joe Bugner
>>
>>68176261
He's black and famous
>>
File: the_more_you_know2.jpg (30 KB, 561x370) Image search: [Google]
the_more_you_know2.jpg
30 KB, 561x370
Lets run off a few things that most of these "lifelong Ali supporters" don't know

>he was not anti war
>he treated women like shit ass whores
>he spent most of his life held hostage by a racist sect of Islam
>he supported a segregated America
>he wanted portions of the south to be given to blacks so whites and blacks could live and stay away from each other
>he wasn't a civil rights activist
>he constantly made derogatory remarks about third world countries, particularly those in Africa
>he later turned pro war
>he would have fought in Vietnam had the USA given his sect of Islam a piece of land to become a separate state upon winning (if they did)
>he was a puppet with many marionettes, including Jimmy Carter
>he never took a fight or made a stance without first consulting Elijah Muhammad
>he was a well known asshole who used some refball to cuck the REAL "Greatest" Smokin Joe
>he'd have hated all these SJWs who are claiming he's their trailblazing hero upon death

He was uneducated and coached, in every aspect of his life. He was taken advantage of by many corrupt men who rose to positions of power that recognized his influence over not only Americans, but the rest of the world. Jimmy Carter sent him on a made to fail mission in Africa to gather support for sitting out Moscow Olympics when JC knew Ali would fail and be embarrassed.

His life was very sad. He never got to make his own decisions until he got old enough to see he'd been played, and then he got a deadly disease that removed his ability to make his own decisions again. He was a prop for photos and tv ratings. He was used from the moment he got in a ring until the day he died. His life is a trajedy.
>>
>>68176931
/thread
>>
>>68184003

Fucking this. The real Muhammad Ali is so different than what we've been hearing about since he died. The real Ali story is sad as fuck.

Reality is if he'd have tried to back out on that Islam sect he'd have been assassinated like Malcolm X was. So he did what he was told.
>>
>>68180336
Getting drafted to the front lines was the ultimate way of getting cycled by Uncle Sam. It's hilarious when 'Nam vets get pissy about ''muh ruspect, fuck hippies" like lmao y'all fought a pointless war
>>
>>68184205
*cucked
>>
>>68182215
You gotta understand he was able to talk like that cause no one could shut him up
>>
>>68176261

>Tfw the ghost of Ali is taking Kimbo Slice's life
>>
>>68180336

He dodged the draft because Elijah Muhammad told him to. That is the ONLY reason.

Elijah wanted to receive land to become a separate state upon winning in Vietnam and the USA said no, so all followers of their version of Islam could not fight in the war or else they would literally be assassinated by the religion. Many went to jail.

Ali had no moral or political views on Vietnam. It wasn't a stand. It was doing what he was told to do.
>>
>>68184320
I was watching a documentary on him. Only time he toned himself down was when Joe Frazier beat the breaks off of him in their first fight.
>>
https://theundefeated.com/features/ali-an-imperfect-icon/
>>
>>68177671
Fuck off prick. We don't need your self righteous Reddit shit here.
>>
>>68176261
Answered your own question.
>>
>>68176261
You want people to cheer for everyone they admire every single day? When someone dies it makes sense that you'd see and hear more admiration, because, you know, they fucking don't exist anymore so it's best to review the person's life and let it all out.
>>
>>68184003
>he'd have hated all these SJWs who are claiming he's their trailblazing hero upon death

You don't know this though, you never knew him personally.
>>
>>68176261
reminder that the average life long ali fan has watched 3 of his fights (frazier 2 and 3, foreman) and that shit movie with the prince of belair
>>
>>68176261

Why do people act like he wasn't the greatest boxer to have ever lived?
>>
>>68193150
Because he was, or at least certainly top 3. And he become more than just a boxer, he was a cultural icon in ways no ever had or has since.
>>
>>68193137
Reminder that some people are bitter that their best day will never measure up to Ali's worst day.
>>
>>68192578
/thread

Y'all are so painfully black-and-white.
>>
>>68184003

post some proof to back up your claims. I'm interested to see the real Ali
>>
>>68198566

he has no proof, I doubt he's ever seen Muhammad Ali in person
>>
>>68176261
ugggggh i know like why in the fuck do i need to see a tribute to this guy i'm old a fuck and he was retired before i knew what boxing was. you could have told half of us that he died five years ago and we wouldn't have batted an eye.

he wasn't relevant in the last 30 years of his life but now he's dead so people are lining up to cram him down my throat to make a quick buck, fuck off already
>>
Ali wasn't just a boxer

He was an icon

He was the most famous sportsman of all time probably and more than that
>>
>>68178531
kind of like how bernie sanders turned around and said white people can actually be poor after he realized that comment would get him killed politically?

too little too late
>>
>>68200000
>>
>>68184003
How Ali wanted people to remember him

>"I would like to be remembered as a man who won the heavyweight title three times, who was humorous and who treated everyone right.

>"As a man who never looked down on those who looked up to him...who stood up for his beliefs...who tried to unite all humankind through faith and love.

>"And if all that's too much, then I guess I'd settle for being remembered only as a great boxer who became a leader and a champion of his people. And I wouldn't even mind if folks forgot how pretty I was."
>>
>>68200072
tosser
>>
>>68176261

Usually bandwagoning. People like to """mourn""" and venerate the newly dead, even if they weren't really fans of them when they were alive.

Scott Weiland dies, people who I'd heard say he was overrated or just plain bad (both wrong) suddenly love him. Same with Prince. Now Ali.

I'd say few of the people who act like fans of the newly dead ever thought about them in the week before they died.
>>
File: 1462392936675.jpg (60 KB, 702x651) Image search: [Google]
1462392936675.jpg
60 KB, 702x651
>>68184581
>theundefeated.com
>>
>>68200152
bullshit
>>
>>68184003
Proof?
>>
>>68176261

Depends on the age group.

Millenials and Generation X? Bandwagon.

People who were old enough to see him negotiate the release of hostages from Iraq, stop a suicide jumper, and watch him in the ring?

They always cared about him.
>>
File: vietnigger.jpg (65 KB, 664x561) Image search: [Google]
vietnigger.jpg
65 KB, 664x561
>>68198566
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali#Religion_and_beliefs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiWFLsgVi4
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/muhammad-ali-diplomat-213941
>>
>>68200817

>Wikipedia

shit

>1971 interview

He changed over time, especially when Obama was elected. But if you wish to hold him accountable for his past views then go ahead.

>1980

This was the time Ali showed the symptoms of Parkinson's .
He's asked to persuade African countries to boycott the Olympics which the president would never be able to do himself. Instead Ali learns that the Americans never boycotted for South Africa during the apartheid which is why they wouldn't boycott for America. Sounds pretty fair to me.
>>
>>68201300
>He changed over time, especially when Obama was elected.
Yeah because people respect Ali for the old parkinson shell of a human being he was.
>>
>>68201582

I can't speak for anyone else but I respected Ali for who he was
>>
>>68201625
I'm saying it's weird how people say "Oh he was only racist back in the days" while simultaneously saying he had principles, ignoring his later year when he was buddy with Reagan.

Fact is, the Ali that was charismatic and fascinating was a racist. He was also a hypocrite and treated Frazier like shit. He was also a great boxing champion and occasionally said some decent things.

Just because he died doesn't mean he's a saint. But just because he was racist doesn't mean he was satan either.
>>
>>68201763

I think Ali was just a wind-up merchant who loved chatting shit and wasn't totally serious about his views, he only stood up against Vietnam because he was the one who got drafted.
>>
>>68201986
I think its ridiculous how people give him shit for not going to vietnam.

If the govt tried to do a draft for one of our modern bullshit proxy wars everybody would flip out.
>>
>>68201763
>was racist
keyword there is "was", he had a nice character arc

>>68201986
>"The white man sends the black to kill the yellow man to protect the land they stole from the red man"
>>
>>68201300
>mental gymnastics
>>
>>68201763
He grew up. He dealt with racist shit when he was younger then was brought in to the Nation of Islam. Once he figured out they were just using him he got out and realized the people staying with him through it all were mainly white people he grew up. He cheated on his multiple wives and did a lot of bad shut when he was younger. As he got older and aged he became a really good guy. But basically he was more of a rampage Jackson/ Dennis rodman type figure until he was drafted. Loud obnoxious, ignorant just a jackass
>>
>>68203026

>I've never changed my views before the post
>>
>mfw someone couldn't even name three songs by him near me
>>
>>68203093
Post proofs he changed his views.
>>
>>68203236

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

-Muhammad Ali
>>
>>68208025
>said when he was 33 yo

And it's the same bullshit when he said he was the "people's champion" while hating white people.
Also, you still didn't prove he changed his views. He was basically a vegetable when he got old, anyways.
>>
>>68210567
>He was basically a vegetable when he got old, anyways.
untrue

Parkinsons doesn't affect the mind
He was still mentally sharp
>>
>>68217986
>Parkinsons doesn't affect the mind
This is just patently false.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.