[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Curry opts out of 2016 Olympics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: steph-curry-usa-basketball.jpg (50 KB, 650x379) Image search: [Google]
steph-curry-usa-basketball.jpg
50 KB, 650x379
"Andre Iguodala and Klay Thompson couldopt out as well due to concerns from the Zika virus epidemic in Brazil. Neither have told USA Basketball they are out and are still wanting to play. But theyare keenly watching the developments."

https://www.google.com/amp/uproxx.com/dimemag/stephen-curry-olympics/amp/#
>>
Wouldn't matter either way since Huertas would just expose him again.
>>
Kind of disappointed since I wanted to see him play in the Olympics. Still, USA has a lot of people sitting out from Curry, Davis, Griffin, Paul and probably some more.
>>
Fucking piece of shit turning his back on black america AGAIN. does he not realize how much hope and inspiration the dream and redeem teams gave to urban youth? he probably does and just doesnt give a shit. disgusting
>>
The article said it had more to do with rehabing the knee sprain
>>
shit, i was looking to seeing him in the olympics, like 500 million other people probably
>>
I think they should ask Kobe to play.
>>
why the hell do we have professional players on our olympic team anyway. what a terrible idea.
>>
>>68173108
Because other countries do and then people get asspained when America loses.
>>
What's the worst team the US can put out but still win the Olympics?
>>
>>68173108
The world voted ''yes'' on letting pros in, although America voted ''no''
>>
Im going to lol when no one goes to brazil because they dont want to get zika babies and like north korea wins everything
>>
>>68173390
would prefer if they used the Olympic soccer model, only allowing a few players who aren't under 23. Soccer allows three but have much larger squads, so basketball should be limited to 2.
>>
>>68173369
It probably involves Kenneth Faried playing 40 minutes a game.
>>
>>68173369
put the 76ers roster as national team and they might have a chance
other than syrup slurping stauskas and oogabooga Embiid
>>
Pussy
>>
>it's because of zika

No, just no. It's because whatever peanuts they pay these guys isn't worth risking injury, particularly if you're about to hit the free agent market.
>>
>>68173439
Except the women because they're inferior players and are allowed to field a roster of 40-year-olds because having to watch U23 women would be even more unbearable.
>>
>>68172615
Yeah what a piece of shit for wanting to let his injuries heal when him playing is the difference between 20+ point and 30+ point blowouts
>>
>>68174050
This. As much as I dislike Curry, it's a smart move.

The 2014 FIBA WC was boring as fuck with the exception of Spain being eliminated at home and the final between USA and Serbia was an absolute fucking blowout, and that was with our C team.
>>
>>68173369
Put Villanova out there and I bet they could go pretty deep
>>
I wouldn't either

In the world of basketball, honestly who gives a fuck about an olympic medal when everyone knows how far ahead usa is just by looking at how few international nba superstars exist.

No one talks about gold medals comparing kobe, lebron and jordan.

All that matters is championships and mvp's, curry is coming off of 2 straight nba championships, winning 73 games and a lot of them being demanding.

Risking more valuable accolades and a gigantic contract isn't worth a medal. At least not until decades down the road where there are potential international contender teams.
>>
>>68174515
>Risking more valuable accolades and a gigantic contract isn't worth a medal. At least not until decades down the road where there are potential international contender teams.

Don't forget Curry just won a gold medal at the FIBA WC two years ago, so he isn't trying to not represent the US during his career.
>>
>>68171744
So Curry hates the USA. He must be a terrorist.
>>
>>68174050
>Yeah what a piece of shit for wanting to let his injuries heal when him playing is the difference between 20+ point and 30+ point blowouts
You could just as easily be talking about the Golden State Warriors instead of Team USA.
>>
>>68174515
>In the world of basketball, honestly who gives a fuck about an olympic medal when everyone knows how far ahead usa is just by looking at how few international nba superstars exist.
Uh, the gap's narrowed significantly. The last time the U.S. didn't have the majority of their best players on board they took bronze at the World Championships.
>>
Out of the past 18 Olympics USA has won the gold medal 14 times, 2ND once, 3rd twice and didnt place once. Why do we need to play with our best? Just send in some college players or highschool or junior high kids on steroids.
>>
>>68174638
The gap isn't closed until there are near as many international all stars compared to nba all stars. They have closed the gap, but not enough.

In my eyes olympics don't matter until the above happens and then when international league skill floor increase. There are still many players who couldn't make the bench in nba, thriving in those leagues.

They need to make the level of play where the nba dropouts are not their superstars, but their role players and bench players.

Which seems decades out to me.
>>
>>68174515
Winning the gold doesn't matter its expected, not winning the gold medal is unforgivable

The Greats all won one, if the Splash Bums want to be considered great they need to take 3 weeks out of their summer and Chuck up a bunch of 3s against bunch of 5 foot Africans.
>>
>Marcelo "Nash 2.0" Huertas
>Raul "Huertas 2.0" Neto
>Cristiano "the next Shaq, already better than Pau" Felicio
>Leandro "we gonna be championship" Barbosa

might as well just give us the gold now
>>
>>68174791
So you are acknowledging the competition is abysmal, but they need to put themselves in harms way because everyone else is.....

The olympics are a joke for basketball.

How cohesive can a team unit truly be within a few weeks together? What does it prove that you can beat what is known to be much lesser opponents?

Honor and tradition are foolish in this circumstance.
>>
>>68174750
>The gap isn't closed until there are near as many international all stars compared to nba all stars.
You're talking individual talent, though. The U.S. team clearly had more talent than Spain in 2012, yet they only won by 7 points. The 2004 U.S. World Championship team had more talent than anyone, and lost three times against players that would likely be bench players in the NBA.
>>
>>68174917
But what does that mean? That the spanish team wanted to win a glorified exhibition more, that they could of potentially had more time than the other teams for training depending on when their season ended?

No one in their right mind should think any of this really means anything besides mere honor and tradition.
>>
>>68174992
It means success in the NBA has more to do with athleticism than anything, and these NBA stars you keep bringing up are often athletic freaks with little actual skill. How many freak athletes did the Spurs have before Leonard? It's just a bunch of smart players that could pass and play defense. Going one-on-one in international competition doesn't work as well as in the NBA.
>>
>>68174624
Yeah the Warriors would have totally beaten the Thunder without Curry, you're not baiting me at all right now
>>
>>68175070
Well considering team USA didn't win every game by 30+ points in the last Olympics, I assumed we were talking about the majority of games, not all of them. The Warriors had the highest point margin of victory in the NBA this year and could have still won 60 games with Curry playing 20 minutes a night, and they'd be up 2-0 in the Finals if he didn't play a single minute. But yeah, if he didn't play against one team out of the other 31 teams in the NBA, they might have actually not won the series without him.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.