[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can someone who's very bad at basketball reach the NBA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: Allen_Iverson.jpg (288 KB, 777x964) Image search: [Google]
Allen_Iverson.jpg
288 KB, 777x964
How can someone who's very bad at basketball reach the NBA level. I have the next 3 months off and am willing to train for 12 hours a day (Weight training, shooting, drills, games). At the end my break I would have around 1000 hours of training. My goal is to reach over 5,000 hours by next year. What program would you recommend for accelerated results. I'm extremely dedicated and love basketball but due to a childhood injury and surgery was not able to play for years. I will make a youtube channel with my daily training to document everything.
>>
Are you black?
Don't even bother if you aren't.
>>
>>67977010
There's nothing you can do. Kids, from the time they could walk, had insane trophy parents that forced them to wake up every morning at 4 am to go run and then go do drills all day. They had 5,000 hours of training before you even thought of playing basketball. Now imagine all that times 10+ years of playing AAU circuit and college basketball coupled with the fact that for many of these guys, basketball is all they know so they're putting in a lot more work than you, even if you're training 12 hrs a day.

But good luck on being able to show up some old guy at the YMCA.
>>
Look mayne. If you had an injury so bad it required surgery and was inactive for a prolonged period of time, training 12 hours a day is a terrible idea. You WILL get injured again and training that much will result in a myriad of other problems. I strongly suggest you go light at first and then increase the intensity when you become more fit. Over training is a real thing and not even the pros train for 12 hours a day. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>67977010
Become seven and a half feet tall. Boom, done
>>
>>67977046
Would college ball still be possible though? You're right that these kids have been playing since they were out of the womb but I doubt all the time they invested in basketball was in intense training.
>>
>>67977010
lmao please tell me this a joke
people that make it into the NBA have been playing since they could walk, have elite genetics and always were great in their teams as kids, you have no chance
also training 12 hours a day will just get you injured
>>
>>67977052
I don't believe in overtraining unless your at an Olympic level. I've long recovered from my injury and have currently been doing weight training almost everyday for a year.
>>
>>67977101
the first thing you should ask yourself is if ypu have the right genetics, that's pretty much the most important part
then, how many years of your life are you willing to spend on intense basketball training while having no guarantee of anything?
>>
>>67977010
>train for 12 hours a day
Goo's luck with that bro
>>
>>67977046
This
>>
>>67977141
>i don't believe in overtraining

i don't believe water can get you wet
>>
>>67977141
NBA level basketball is definitely Olympic level for that sport, dufus
>>
>>67977146
6'2 160lbs caucasian male
I'm willing to spend the rest of my life training and playing with no guarantee. Nothing makes me feel better than basketball
>>
>>67977176
yeah words are nice but we'll see how long you last
what about speed, vertical, muscle mass, lenght etc? remember that athleticism is mostly genetics
i mean go ahead, that's not my problem, but just know that you have almost no chance and you'll most likely end up frustrated like me and millions of other wannabe athletes
also remember how much competition you got, especially as a small guard with prolly no particular genetic qualities
do you tho
>>
>>67977176
>take growth hormone
>take PED's
>Train like fuck

Goodluck it all depends on you getting taller. Unless your a freak at 3's it pays to be taller with decent co-ordination than have great co-ordination and be average sized. If you can't do bball try MMA
>>
>>67977176
You're point guard sized. Focus on ball handling, and watch film constantly. Learn to break down a defense. You'll be in charge of finding and making opportune match ups, all while keeping a dribble alive and communicating to your teammates. You'll need to be able to shoot. You'll need to be able to pass. It would help immensely if you could defend, so you'll need footwork.

To get an idea of what your looking at, search advanced defensive footwork techniques and advanced ball handling/dribble techniques. That's only half as hard as the shit you're going to need to do. To play reserve minutes. On a bad team. In the d-league.
>>
>>67977313
Frustrated like you?
Whats your story?
>>
Good luck

I know this is a troll
>>
>>67977361
Thank you for the advice. Currently play saftey for my football team, coach says the footwork skills I learned and developed should help in basketball
>>
>>67977313
K-k-kneebrah?
>>
>>67977010
You have zero chance

Honestly if you love basketball, become a volunteer coach, do very well, become high school coach, college assistant and then move from there.

But for being a player, they are lightyears ahead of you in terms of athleticism, knowledge, fluid motion and game instinct being aware of proper split second decisions.
>>
>>67977010
How old are you? No chance if you're over 13-14
>>
>>67977141
>I don't believe in overtraining unless your at an Olympic level.

Kek, what an idiot. This better be a bait thread.
>>
>>67977776
yup

>>67977568
nothing much, just being obsessed with basketball but being a manlet with cardboard tier knees (prolly from a combination of being skinny, doing too much and playing on concrete most of the time) who was never that good in the first place anyway
>>
>>67977947
Theres a 5'7 asian kid that made point guard for a good college team in my city.
>>
>>67977361
He is undersized for an NBA point guard. Short, and to say nothing of how much of a hongry skellington he is at 160 (I realize he could bulk up but still. There are exceptions like Chris Paul, but most of them start around 6'3.

I can't even believe people are wishing this guy luck and giving him serious encouragement. OP should train hard and enjoy basketball if he like basketball, but train because you love the game, period.

OP, you're NOT getting to "NBA level." Not in your little 3 months off, not ever. If you're not a troll you're the most delusional person I've ever witnessed. 12 hours a day training is ridiculous and unrealistic and would set you back more than improve you. Rest is just as important as training. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. In addition to the fact that you're undersized, genetics and natural aptitude programed into the DNA are such a massively huge part of top level professional athletics. Ever wonder why everyone and his brother in the Matthews family plays in the NFL. You think it's all just due 100% to hard work and dedication?

Was your old man playing at at least the collegiate level? If not your chances of top flight glory are even more infinitesimally small. One of my favorite sports journalists was asked "when did you know you weren't going to make it far in football?" He answered, "when I realized that neither of my parents did."

Your second problem is that you are presumably high school or college aged. Waaaay too late start practicing. You are chasing genetic freaks who have been practicing since they were 2 years old. Sorry, man.

What would be your plan anyway? Are you a freshman in high school or something? Any older and your plan is barely feasible.
>>
I'll give you one piece of advice; you definitely won't make it to the NBA if you don't train 12 hours a day.
>>
>>67977843
This is more realistic. Play in local recreational leagues and/or coach local youth leagues.
>>
>>67978036
sure but he's prolly better than me and isn't limping after every practice
also there's just too much competition out there man, idk if you've gone out and tried out for actual relevant teams but there's so many guys bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled than you out there it's depressing, i'm like a little Delly and go out there with all i got but there's a point where you realize you can't compete with some of these people

right now i'm pursuing another retardedly childish, unoriginal and unlikely goal but at least i really feel appreciated there and the competition looks turrible to me most of the time
>>
>>67978159
I was an okay player on my senior team. Handles and footwork were meh but shooting was good. Bench 40% of the time. Teammates told me I could make college if I train hard but they all laughed at nba
>>
>>67978254
Every NBA player was once the best player on their college team or was on a very stacked college team. Or on rare ocassion was simply not utilized on the team due to various reasons.

Being an okay player is not enough, there are tons of good players who are stuck on the bench and fall out of the league just due to situation. Then those talented players become journeymen making 40k or so playing d-leauge/euroball and other random leagues.

Making the NBA is extremely unlikely and most of them are case of the swimmer's body. Where they have the perfect body to play at that level.

Being 6'2 160, you are an underweight point guard at one of the most, knowledge and skill demanding position. The odds of even making a foreign league would be a miracle.

In order to make the NBA

You have to be top 90 pg in the world, since there is no way any team is carrying more than 3.

A pg career easily last can 15-20 years for savvy vets who can take care of themselves and aren't athleticism reliant.

Every year there are 60 draft prospects. So let's just say 11 pg's get drafted. Do you really think you can magically become better than the best pg's in college and take the spot of nba vets?
>>
>>67977176
>yfw some sandwich lookin nigga puts his balls on your shoulder
>>
>>67977010
how tall are you?
>>
>>67978513
see
>>67977176
>>
>>67977101
How old are you? You could probably. still try out for a less prestigious college team, like div 2 or 3. You'd have to pay tuition though
>>
File: 1450070853061.png (94 KB, 212x254) Image search: [Google]
1450070853061.png
94 KB, 212x254
>>67977010

>3 months
That should be plenty.
>>
>>67978443
>>67978050
>>67978615
Currently 18 about to finish highschool I've been playing basketball for the past year in senior team, but I've mainly been focusing on football since our team was about to make championships. My goal is to train heavily this summer to hopefully land a spot in a college team. Whist in college, work my ass off to be one of the top players. I know I can do it since I became MVP on my football team in a relatively short period of time due to intense training. I know nba is impossible but I still want to pursue this. D-league is the most realistic unrealistic possibility.
>>
>>67977010
Are you 6'8 or taller?

Just weigh 235+ and be athletic
oh and being black helps

See:
>BigBlack Biyombo
>Tri$tan Thomp$on
>>
op if your not trolling you have to study and emulate the best of all time. look at players like isiah thomas(the real one and to a lesser extent the manlet) stockton, jason kidd, iverson, nash, also study lesser players who were still nba successful mugsy bouges jason williams, mike bibby, more recently curry and paul.
players in the 90s sometimes succeded purely on work ethic. nash literally was successful from conditioning and work ethic alone putting up hundreds of shots daily. most of the players i mentioned were all slight of build and undersized compared to every other player out there, but succeeded. dont necessarily take to heart people saying you cant do it, but you will literally dedicate your life to it. if you're smart/dilligent you can become a good player. but hardest thing to do would be to succeed on a professional level. some pros didnt start playing till 17-18 but were talented/gifted with athleticism,size etc.
>>
Unless you're a physical freak like 6'5" 250 pounds and can run like a gazelle you'll never make it to the pros. I played varsity basketball in high school and the greatest player on our team, who set every school record in scoring, assists, etc. didn't even get a Division II scholarship. He ended up walking on at Lewis and Clark College which is basically a community college level athletics school.

90% of the black male community strives to be in the NBA. You, who I assume are a less athletic white Canadian boy have absolutely 0% chance of getting into a Division I school let alone getting into the NBA
>>
OP will never make it in the NBA. You have to dominate the competition in order to move to the next level.

e.g
If in highschool, you have to DOMINATE other highschool kids, no matter height or athleticism

If in college, you have to DOMINATE other college athletes (especially D1 which is very hard to do)

Even after that you have a slim chance of getting in the NBA because you have to be scouted and show a lot of potential after you DOMINATE everyone. Potential is probably your biggest hurdle.

If you want a shot try joining a local team and DOMINATING every opponent just to get people talking/ interested in seeing you play.
>>
>>67979138
bruh playing D3 or D2 sports is the most demoralizing thing ever; no one gives a fuck about it and you work almost as hard as the D1 kids AND you have to pay for everything. You might make a D3 team if you're lucky and even then you probably won't because they were all studs on their high school basketball teams.
>>
File: 14643949.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
14643949.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>67979337

> mfw thompson is a max salary player and still cant put a face with a name
>>
you have to be insanely good to play in the NBA.Like, kids in my high school who were on the varsity team as freshman didn't even get D3 scholarships by the time they were seniors.You have to be a god in your own right.
>>
>>67977010
There were kids in our region that went on to be four year starters in college that never did shit in the nba
>>
How hard is it to make a foreign league? Obviously NBA is a pipe dream for most but if OP really loves basketball maybe he can make a living playing it overseas? I see lots of random American/Canadian players on Turkish, Israeli, Philippine, German, Russian, etc teams.
>>
>>67981109
no lol you autists clearly never played high school or college sports. Playing college sports is already hard as fuck and 99% of the population isn't good enough; to play in any pro league you need to be better than 99% of college athletes to even play in some shit league in Greece or something.
>>
>>67981109
Top tier teams in Europe also seek good players not the average ones. If you have potential you can really add on to your game. Brother of C.J Mccollum, Erik is a good example for that.
>>
JUST FOCUS ON THE 3 POINT MEME SHOT
>>
Unless you're 10 there's no chance you're going pro
>>
>>67979138
Even d league you'll need to play college ball at some level first, so that's what I'd recommend. It's will be hard but it's what you have to do
>>
All these young players grow up in a sports community. They have the best trainers and the best competition. Training alone won't work but you need to play against other top players.
>>
>>67980884
I'm just waiting for Harrison Barnes to get a max deal so I can justify marrying a 6'3 Black Girl so hopefully my kids will be 6'7 (I'm 6'5 so theres a chance)

From there, having a half black kid, i can push him to be athletic so at worst he will be Tristan Thompson, but if he can shoot 3's he's harrison barnes.

Seriously, Tristan Thompson was so shit as shooting he had to change hands, and he is still terrible.
>>
>>67977010
Call Calipari. He's your only chance.
>>
You can't just train yourself into the NBA. This isn't dragonball z. Putting 1000 hours into it over 3 months won't make you that much better really, it will just destroy your body and probably you'll get injured and ruin any chance of ever playing.
>>
>>67981199
Not 100%, if you're at a pretty noticable school, if you were a starter for 1 year, you can be an okay bench player in lower-level Europe

4 year starter you can be a starter in Mid-Europe

Star but have weaknesses such as height or shooting, you can be a star in Europe, but never be anything super special
>>
>>67981814
>This isn't dragonball z
Kek
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone I'll keep you guys posted on the training process. NBA here I come!
>>
>>67982837
You won't make it to the NBA within 6 months.

Maybe in 2-3 years as during that time at the best you might make it to the bowels of Europe and work your way up from there
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.