[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will he save American motorsports?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 400x225
Will he save American motorsports?
>>
>>67969160
Yes
>>
ROSSI
O
S
S
I
POSSE
O
S
S
E
>>
>American F1 GP (COTA)
>American F1 team (Haas)
>American F1 driver (Rossi)

I'm shipping Haas x Rossi for 2017
>>
File: dontfeeltardy.jpg (80 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
dontfeeltardy.jpg
80 KB, 600x400
>>67969160
You're talking about the Japanese auto maker Honda, right ? USA cars can only turn left and sell fabric detergent.

>boom
>>
>wins Indy 500 on his first try and it was only the second oval (rectangle) he ever raced on
>also sets fastest lap of the race

amazing

Manor are kicking themselves right now
>>
No, because he isn't a spastic retard and his win probably isn't trending amongst millennials on NSAbook right now.
>>
>>67972482

Being specific, he's not the kind of guy who'll get that much attention on social media.

If anything he'll get another F1 ride and cuck IndyCar.
>>
>>67972508
he's used to European racing style pr I.E. not being a spastic retard typical American
>>
File: ar.jpg (56 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
ar.jpg
56 KB, 650x366
>>
>>67972387
I want this to happen. Rossi spent years stuck with dying teams. Haas has enough life within them to not fall off the back of the grid anytime soon.
>>
>>67972990
this is the best chance there could be to get F1 going again in America in years

I want to believe
>>
File: arnapa.jpg (23 KB, 640x415) Image search: [Google]
arnapa.jpg
23 KB, 640x415
car looked good too
NAPA's stock just went through the roof
>>
>>67969160
Chase Elliot has a better chance of becoming a household name. Alexander Rossi will never co-host with Kelly Ripa. All my feels.
>>
>>67973638
I don't care about house hold name, or social media or what the fuck ever. Just a great American open wheel driver would be nice
>>
Marco Andretti on suicide watch

>11 years in IndyCar
>11 fails at Indy
>only 4 poles and 2 wins in the series
>hasn't won in 5 years
>a rookie with no oval experience waltzes into the team and wins the 500 on first try

Marco only has a drive because of his last name
>>
>>67972543
So like the majority of Indycar drivers?
>>
>>67973760
His father never won Indy in 16 attempts (finished 2nd once and third twice).
His grandfather won it just once in 29 attempts (finished second twice).

It's a hard race to win, and luck is a big factor. Said rookie rather lucked into the victory (which is not to say he didn't do anything to earn it, just that he still needed a lot of things out of his control to to fall his way). If he hadn't gotten a draft from a teammate (Hunter-Reay) in the last couple of laps, he'd have run out of fuel. Likewise, if Munoz's last pit stop had been just a bit quicker, he might have caught him. If there had been a late caution, he'd have lost for sure.

And the whole Andretti family has had notoriously shitty luck at Indy. This year, specifically, Marco had a tire pressure issue.

>Marco only has a drive because of his last name
That's overstating it a bit. He's a good enough driver. that he'd find a seat somewhere That said, he might well not have a place with as competitive a team if it were not for the family connection. He's hardly alone in that, though.
>>
>>67974211
at least Michael had a bunch of wins
>>
>>67974211
>he was just lucky
nobody talks about luck when a Montoya or Castroneves wins even though it takes just as much luck for them to win as a Rossi
>>
>>67974263
True.

>>67974300
I didn't say he was "just" lucky. In fact, I went out of my way to point out that it wasn't "just" luck. But some wins ARE arguably luckier than others, and this was probably one of them. I seem to remember at least one of Helio's wins being very lucky, though.
>>
>>67974332
he had a lot of practice racing in Europe where saving fuel is the name of the game, also, listening to the directions coming in over the radio from the pits. that helped him out a lot. and yeah it's lucky that he had just enough fuel to make it to the finish but lesser drivers would have ran out. that's skill.
>>
>reading racer.com and trackforum
>all this Rossi hate

I can taste the salt
>>
>>67974382
>that's skill.
Yes, and I'm not denigrating that, as I said.

But there was still a big luck component even to that, because as he himself said post-race, he had to catch a draft from his teammate to reach the end. If Ryan had been in a different position on the track, he might not have had the help, or might have burned more fuel before he got to him.
>>
>>67974442
speaking of RHR, what was up with that incident with Bell in the pits?
pit crews were dropping the ball all day, lots of incidents in the pits, Lazier lost a wheel
also Bell was kinda driving like an asshole the whole race
>>
>>67974475
Yeah, I don't know, other than the usual that no one wants to lose spots in the pits and so everyone was pushing the envelope on exit.

But yeah, a lot of it seemed to be on the spotters. I know the first one with Power was, for instance.

And yes, Bell was really being aggressive. Although I'd put Karam's crash on himself more than on Bell, for essentially playing chicken with him at that point in the race. Put another way, they both got overly aggressive, but Bell was in a position to get away with it, and Karam should have known the he wasn't.

Still trying to figure out exactly what happened to Sato on his crash, too. I mean, other than
>Sato

Didn't help that ABC never followed up on most of this stuff because they were too busy showing commercials.
>>
>>67974537
also I can't believe Castroneves didn't get black flagged for driving full speed for like 2 laps with that big ass wheel cover hanging off the back of his car. didn't go in to repair it until the Sato caution.
that could have flew off at 230MPH and Justin Wilson'ed someone. Sato crashing might have saved someone's life.

also ABC a shit. I've come to accept that it's just something you have to deal with lol
>>
>>67974562
Yeah, I was expecting that, too. I think he probably would been have the next time by the line, but they were definitely really slow to react to it. This isn't NASCAR, where cars routinely drive around with pieces hanging off until they drop. Just can't do that with open cockpits.

And it mostly just bothers me that ABC has seemingly gotten so much worse in recent years. I'm old enough to remember Wide World of Sports and the pre-ESPN ABC well, and it pains me to see what's happened to it. Then again, they aren't alone: NBC's Olympic coverage (especially, but not exclusively, the televised coverage) has gotten so much worse than it used to be, too. At least for that I can watch a pirated stream of the BBC coverage or something, though.

But you're right that we just have to deal with it.
>>
>>67974605
>I'm old enough to remember Wide World of Sports and the pre-ESPN ABC well, and it pains me to see what's happened to it.

oh yes indeed
bring back Paul Page and the Delta Force theme song!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzgwCql_mo
>>
>>67974619
>Paul Page
I wish I had known that he was back doing the radio broadcast the last couple of years. He retired from play-by-play this year, though, I guess.

Like Ken Squier with NASCAR and Keith Jackson with the Rose Bowl, his is the voice I'll always associate with Indy.
>>
>>67974661
yeah I had the radio broadcast switched on during the commercial breaks. Page was on there but too bad he wasn't on the TV broadcast and won't be doing radio anymore.

it's a damn shame I agree. he really was the voice of Indy.
>>
>>67974671
Well, time marches on, I guess, but it seems like they could do better than Allen Bestwick. who always comes off as a NASCAR reject.

Then again, with the current state of ESPN, that's probably the best they can do.
>>
>>67974738
honestly I think Bestwick is decent, definitely no Paul Page, but better than say Marty Reid.

I just wish they'd ditch Goodyear and Cheever. maybe get Dario Franchitti? don't know if Dario would be interested but it would be nice to have a more current driver in the booth.
>>
>>67974760
>definitely no Paul Page, but better than say Marty Reid.
Granted. I just have a bad association with him because he was for so long just the OTHER voice of NASCAR (the one that wasn't Ken Squier, or subsequently Mike Joy).

>I just wish they'd ditch Goodyear and Cheever
Ditch one of them at least. Part of the problem IMO is that they are too similar.

Dario would be great, if he would do it. Maybe Tony Stewart, now that he's retiring. I've always wished he hadn't jumped to NASCAR.
>>
>>67974864
I think Stewart might be a little too abrasive for the broadcast booth.

and yeah shame he went to NASCAR but considering the success he's had there it was probably the right move.
>>
>>67974893
to add to that, even though Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell are kinda assholes (granted, fast assholes) behind the wheel I think they're pretty decent in the booth for the NBC races.
>>
>>67974893
>I think Stewart might be a little too abrasive for the broadcast booth.
Could be. Then again, a lot of that is tied to competitiveness, and it may not carry to a broadcast role. A lot of guys get much more mellow in retirement.

>considering the success he's had there it was probably the right move.
Well, with the comparative state of the two series, there's no doubt it was the right financial move for him, but he was poised to have similar or greater success in IRL at the time.

>>67974924
Jeff Gordon could be an asshole while racing, too, and is also doing okay in the booth (then again it's just possible that anyone looks good to me sitting next to DW).

Another one that would be good in the booth IMO (when he finally retires), is TK. It probably won't happen because he's not a native English speaker (though his English is good enough for it), but I think he'd be solid.
>>
>>67974953
>then again, a lot of that is tied to competitiveness, and it may not carry to a broadcast role.
good point

>it's just possible that anyone looks good to me sitting next to DW
BOOGEDY BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!!!

>TK
I could dig that, though you're probably right about his Brazilian accent
>>
>>67975012
>BOOGEDY BOOGEDY BOOGEDY!!!
Yeah. That.

I mean, I know it's NASCAR, but Buddy Baker, Ned Jarrett, and Benny Parsons all had dignity and all understood the technical side than Darrell seems to.
>>
>>67975064
I wish it was just Mike Joy and Larry McReynolds. DW is just distracting. commentators are supposed to just call the race, not draw undue attention to themselves.
>>
>>67975101
forgot Gordon
Joy McReynolds Gordon would be a solid booth
>>
>>67975101
>>67975115
Yeah. They definitely need an ex-driver in there, but what they don't need is a clown, and that's what DW is.

It must run in the family, because Michael is every bit as bad, but at least his antics are mostly constrained to the pre-race show(s). Then again, that's the other thing NASCAR can do without: what do they have, like six hours of pre-race coverage (between the various channels) at this point?

One thing I love about Indy is that everything gets going promptly at noon, TV be damned. They don't waste half of the afternoon on pre-race coverage. I can remember when Daytona was the same way. It's especially infuriating when it's obvious that weather is going to be an issue later in the afternoon and they STILL insist on not starting the race before 2 or 3 p.m. because TV wants to maximize their audience.
>>
>>67975180
both series/channels need to cool it on the ads.

I know ads pay for the broadcast, but for example, how many minutes of the 500 did we miss due to Firestone/Honda/Chevrolet/IndyCar ads?

why were those even ads?
it's like they think people will forget about them even though they are the official tire/only 2 manufacturers/the series itself. they get enough exposure during the race. I mean goddamn, no need to take away coverage of the race to shove it down our throats even more.
>>
>>67975240
Agreed.

Similarly, why do we have to be reminded that the fuel is provided by Sunoco EVERY TIME FUEL IS MENTIONED? I don't remember them ever doing this in all the years when Union 76 was the fuel provider for NASCAR (and yet I knew who it was, because I had eyes and could see the big orange ball in the pits, just as I can see the Sunoco sign there now).
>>
>>67975323
this
also Verizon ads
title sponsors and exclusive suppliers and the series itself need to gtfo and let us watch the damn race
>>
>>67974211
>luck
Bryan Herta isn't luck

>>67974475
spotter or chief engineer issue. They should have told him about someone on the fucking outside lane.
>>
>>67975180
There is literally nothing wrong with DW.

I bet you think they need a person of color in the booth too, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>67969160
Literally who
>>
>>67974661
Fucking autist kept posting about uhf or whatever outdated shit even I tuned in. Had that and Pombo and whoever the other Spanish guy is broadcasting it. It was goat. Should have been tuning in.

also TROOOOOOOOOXXXXX
>>
>>67979368
settle down cletus
>>
>>67979545
Fucking knew you were SJW scum.
>>
>>67979612
>there is nothing in between reddit browsing SJW and BOOGEDY BOOGEDY BOOGEDY redneck

ok bro.

this is why I watch IndyCar more than NASCAR. the only reason they keep DW in the booth is fans like you.

bet you think Rossi is a "furriner"
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.